Author Topic: Want to install more packs but don't touch excisting saves (Solved)  (Read 1118 times)

Offline ModHunter

• Townie
Hello.

The things I'm asking for here might be impossible but as I'm not that technical I don't know. Please be aware of that.  :-[

Now I play the Sims 4. And I love it! I might be the only one but still. I have the game installed on two computers, a laptop (that tends to run quite hot) and a desktop of random but OK parts. Now, these games are strictly offline from Origin and do not get any updates whatsoever. And I want to keep it that way, for reasons. But on the downside, these games are very limited. I want to install more packs but I do not want to gamble with the existing saves. And here is the problem.

Setting up a third computer would not be an issue. I have a powerful one already,  holding installs of the Sims 2 and 3. Windows 7 is not that secure in 2022 so I have to get another harddrive/SSD and install Windows 10 on it. Or use my regular desktop (dual boot with Windows 10 where I play TS4 today) and try to get Sims 4 to work under Linux Mint 19. But there is another problem. Me being overprotective over my game installs.

A FAQ guide here on this forum board says that games can not be transferred between Origin accounts. This is OK and I do understand the idea behind it. But it makes the situation difficult. Making a new account might be possible but paying for packs I already have once more does not feel so great. (Especially as I did get the base game back when it was free).

So yeah, that's what is spinning in my head right now. Maybe you can give me some sort of input on these things. If the idea is far to stupid, feel free to tell me so so I can clean it out of my head.  :-\
Unpopular opinion: I like the Sims 4

Offline MrsFlynn

• Admin Assistant
  • Administrator
  • Watcher
Re: Want to install more packs but don't touch excisting saves
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2022, 08:09:26 PM »
I'm not sure what all your asking about, so please forgive any misunderstanding.

You can install Origin and Sims 4 on any computer you own without issue. You can also transfer your save and mod files between computers.

Read more about that here.

New packs may effect older saves. I'm not sure in what way though.

If you have more than one EA account, you can merge or combine them if desired. More info in the article linked below.

What to do if you've accidentally made a second EA Account
https://help.ea.com/en/help/account/accidental-second-ea-account/
Welcome!! We hope you enjoy the forum!!  Thank you for visiting!!
–Need Help? Check our Member FAQs Here. * –Read and follow the Forum Rules, please! *

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline ModHunter

• Townie
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2022, 02:14:57 AM »
I admit that I did express myself quite unclear so all misunderstanding is because of me. But I will try to put things better.

My question was (is) what my best option would be. Yes, I can install the Sims 4 on any computer so having the game on a third computer would not be a problem. But I'm afraid that Origin, even if it's in online mode, will try to force the install of new packs on the two installs I want to protect. (I know that Origin never asks before doing anything, it just do). So my best option would be to make a new account. But then I have to purchase the packs I already own once more (because I can not transfer packs between accounts).

Offline MrsFlynn

• Admin Assistant
  • Administrator
  • Watcher
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2022, 04:43:48 AM »
To the best of my knowledge, Origin might try to download any new packs you purchase with your account.  You can try turning off automatic game updates, however, it's reported that may not work to stop downloading packs.

If you would like a 2nd opinion, please feel free to ask over at answers.ea (AHQ)

AHQ's Sims 4 Tech Help Board:
https://answers.ea.com/t5/Technical-Issues-PC/bd-p/The-Sims-4

Sign in with your EA account, click the New Topic button, up near the top of the board, to make a new post.

I'm hoping they can give some advice on a way to stop it from downloading packs or work-around, so you don't have to repurchase the packs.
–Need Help? Check our Member FAQs Here. * –Read and follow the Forum Rules, please! *

Offline ModHunter

• Townie
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2022, 05:48:07 AM »
OK, I did post a new topic over at the EA forum.  I was thinking about doing so anyway, I just wanted to post here first. Thank you anyway.  :)

Offline MrsFlynn

• Admin Assistant
  • Administrator
  • Watcher
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2022, 05:51:54 AM »
After chewing on the question (Stop Origin from Downloading Sims 4 Packs) some more, and being curious myself of the answer.

I did more digging and found a post from Puzzlezaddict, link below:

Downloading bought sims 4expansion packs at a later time?
https://answers.ea.com/t5/Technical-Issues-PC/Downloading-bought-sims-4expansion-packs-at-a-later-time/m-p/8998265#M172911

Hopefully this helps!! :)

Offline ModHunter

• Townie
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2022, 01:12:47 PM »
I did read the post and the same member gave me a similar answer https://answers.ea.com/t5/Technical-Issues-PC/Want-to-do-a-new-install-with-more-packs-but-keep-current/m-p/11321213#M230529 So I think it's not doable. Sad but true. It was a nice try still...

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline ModHunter

• Townie
« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2022, 02:26:28 PM »
As a last try I did contact EA and did receive this message:

"Thank you for contacting EA help. My name is ***** and I would assist you with your issue today.

If you would like to get more packs for Sims 4 it would be more convenient to purchase them on your existing account rather then creating a new one and purchasing everything all over again. But all the new pack work with the updated version of the game so it might ask you to update the game if there is any update available. So there are chances that you may have to update the game if its available".

As I see it: I can not set up a new install without updating the other ones.  :(
*Name removed.

Offline MrsFlynn

• Admin Assistant
  • Administrator
  • Watcher
« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2022, 03:43:26 PM »
Thank you for the update!! I'm sorry it didn't work out as hoped.