Author Topic: What to do if Your Game Slows Down (Clean Up Your Game)  (Read 353672 times)

loveSims

Re: What to do if Your Game Slows Down (Clean Up Your Game)
« Reply #135 on: March 30, 2012, 07:09:02 AM »
Thank you Pam.  :)

Offline RunAmokSims

• Immortal
« Reply #136 on: March 30, 2012, 08:18:04 AM »
@Odie I don't know, but my theory is that another folder in the Saves folder will make TS3 think it may be a save. So I wouldn't risk it, and move it out to be safe. :)

@Anyone Should the first post be updated? As in, I think SocialCache is safe to delete, but I don't know, and it would be useful to have a list of files OK to delete there.

I include the social cache along with the other cache files I delete before or after I play.  I don't use any social features so I don't know if that makes a difference or not.

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

asta

« Reply #137 on: April 29, 2012, 05:08:19 PM »
Well, I hope you can help me...

I checked my Cache Files and deleted the SimcompositorCache File as it was 500 MB, I also deleted the DC Backup files after reading this thread. Now after loading my game it 1) takes much longer to load (I say from 4 minutes to 10 minutes) and 2) the game lags it's impossible to play.

I have to say that I play with a lot of Nraas mods, and have a rather big neighbourhood. I guess now loading everything new can take a while. But what is the best for me to do now?

Pause the game and let everything reload for half an hour?

Let it lag until it runs smooth (or I loose my patience - whatever comes first)

Offline Seabody

• Global Moderator
  • Watcher
« Reply #138 on: April 29, 2012, 06:42:55 PM »
asta, welcome to the forum. :)
Do you have twallan's Overwatch installed? It can help quite a bit with lag. And how many .package files do you have?

asta

« Reply #139 on: April 30, 2012, 03:07:37 AM »
 :)

yes, I use Overwatch (couldn't without it!)

I have 237 package files, 271 MB - not so bad I guess.

The thing is, my game ran really smooth before I deleted the cache file. Never change a winning team....

(sorry if my english is clumsy, I'm from Austria and my school days are in the past)

Offline Seabody

• Global Moderator
  • Watcher
« Reply #140 on: April 30, 2012, 03:11:12 AM »
I have 237 package files, 271 MB - not so bad I guess.

Are those Mods? (Sorry, I should have asked in my original post.)

asta

« Reply #141 on: April 30, 2012, 03:47:28 AM »
about 40 of them, yes

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline wednesday21

• Lurker
  • Occult
  • Joker is slightly amused.
« Reply #142 on: April 30, 2012, 06:31:45 AM »
Hi asta,

I'm sorry that you are having problems with your game. It could be due to a number of things but something that caught my eye immediately after reading your post is that you've got 237 .package files. This is bad, because having over 200 .package files will make the game lag. The game does not seem to care about the size of the files but does care about their total count. I recommend you to merge .packages that you know you won't have to remove because they need updating or are bad CC. I wouldn't advise merging your mods because those need updating after new game patches in most cases.

To do this, you need the .package file editing program s3pe (note (for Windows): this is a .Net4 build so if you haven't got the latest version, please google it and download the update from the Microsoft site). Finally, a complete step-by-step tutorial on how to merge package files can be found here at Club Crimsyn. Some steps may be outdated with newer versions of s3pe so don't panic if something goes wrong or not as shown. As always, make sure to keep a backup of the original .package files (those that you are going to merge) elsewhere (not in the Mods/Packages folder) in case you need to re-merge them. You cannot un-merge combined .packages so be careful.

asta

« Reply #143 on: April 30, 2012, 11:28:09 AM »
Dear M.,
thank you, wow, I didn't know that! I'll try this out.

I guess I'm still to much into Sims 2 - I had so much Downloads and Mods, and my game ran really great!

asta

« Reply #144 on: April 30, 2012, 12:42:57 PM »
sorry for the double post....

after you mentioned, that more than 200 files are too much, I deleted some stuff I downloaded yesterday and the game is back to normal! Yay!

My elders have to wear their old stuff, no new shiny stuff for them, but at least I can play!  ;D

Offline wednesday21

• Lurker
  • Occult
  • Joker is slightly amused.
« Reply #145 on: April 30, 2012, 04:05:08 PM »
I'm glad that your game is working correctly again! However, there's no need to limit yourself. As I noted in my previous post, you can just merge your files in a few categories (female hair, male hair, teen clothing, etc.) and the game will do just fine, no matter the size of these files. The process is really easy and I myself did it in 2 minutes the first time. But, the decision is yours.

asta

« Reply #146 on: April 30, 2012, 04:58:11 PM »
yes, you're right, but I wanted to play so bad!  :-[  But I'll try to merge my files, I guess it can't be to hard. thank you again!

AdnaanA

« Reply #147 on: May 03, 2012, 05:34:36 PM »
Cant you just delete the DC Backup folder, would it regenerate?

Offline Pam

• Community Manager
  • Forum Founder and Friend
  • Watcher
« Reply #148 on: May 04, 2012, 04:47:25 AM »
Let me remind everyone again to please make a new topic to deal with individual situations.  This thread is intended to give information to help, but to discuss specific issues, a new thread is appropriate.
Read and heed the Forum Rules, please!

Support the site when you purchase online!
Dreamweaver Immortal Dynasty
Dreamweaver 4 x 4 Dynasty
Pam's Sims 4 World Blog

"Half of my posts are correcting people. The other 49% is moving threads."

Offline Saltypaws

• Global Moderator
  • Watcher
« Reply #149 on: May 10, 2012, 05:10:35 PM »
My sister came across this thread about lagging and the game slowing down.  This member beta tested Showtime before its release.  Her husband and both sons work in the computer industry.  This thread might have things that we may have not come across, so I thought it might be helpful. :)
Is it true that cannibals don't eat clowns because they taste funny?