Author Topic: It Happened One Christmas/A Short Seasonal Tale (Completed)  (Read 18421 times)

Offline Schipperke

• CAS Contest Coordinator
  • Global Moderator
  • Watcher
It Happened One Christmas/A Short Seasonal Tale (Completed)
« on: December 18, 2011, 05:40:18 PM »
For anyone who has been waiting patiently for me to get back to the Flowers Waiting for Grim Story, I appreciate your patience.  I do intend to finally stop procrastinating and finish the story after Christmas.  Meantime I offer you this little seasonal diversion, and a promise:  there will be no procrastinating.  This is going to be a very short story, and it will end on Christmas eve.  One way or another, it will finish on that day.  Now, let's get on with it.  Here's Chapter 1.

Chapter 1

Our story begins in Sunset Valley.  On Sunday afternoon, a scientist checks her plants:

Her name is Sandra but most people call her Sandy.  Sandy Paws.  She plans to spend her day off tending her little garden and catching fish.

Then she gets an unexpected phone call from her boss:  she is to come in to work.  Right away.  He wants to see her Now.  She leaves her fishing and hurries down to the Science building, wondering what could be so important that she needs to come to work on her day off.  She can't remember her boss ever coming in on his day off before, so there must be something really wrong.

Her boss tells her he's had complaints about Sandy's efforts to provide better conditions for the lab animals:  "People don't like you interfering with their research."  Ignoring Sandy's attempt to explain, her boss continues:  "And of course Dr. Simstein has never forgiven you for returning his dire chinchillas to the medieval period after all his work and expense in acquiring them." 
Finally Sandy manages to speak:  "The dire chinchillas don't belong here, in this time and place!  They could disrupt our ecosystem!" 
Her boss replies:  "Yes, yes.  Maybe.  But that's not the point.  The point is, you aren't a team player.  Always wanting to change things.  I spend way too much time dealing with complaints about you.  So, Sandy, you need to clean out your desk and get out of the building." 
Sandy can't believe her ears:  "You're firing me?" 
Her boss just says, "Goodbye, Sandy."

Sandy wanders through the town in a daze.  Unemployed just before Christmas!  What will she do?  She meets someone she knows and tells him her problems, hoping for comfort. 
But Christopher says, "Yeah, that's too bad, Sandy.  Now if you'll excuse me, I think that sweet young thing over there is looking for a dynasty mate."

Rejected again, Sandy makes her way home.  Her little house seems so lonely.  She thinks, "Nobody cares.  Nobody would miss me if I just disappeared." 

So she decides to leave her home in Sunset Valley and go far away, where she doesn't know anyone and nobody will know of her failures.  She sells her belongings, and with her severance pay she manages to afford a little cottage in Appaloosa Plains.

The house is very small, but then Sandy doesn't know anyone and doesn't expect to have any visitors.  Walking into the house, her gaze falls on a Santa doll someone left on the table.

For a moment, the Santa doll feels like a cruel mockery of Sandy's life - alone, unemployed, unwanted at Christmas.  But then Sandy has an idea.  She has a little of her severance money left - why not fix up the cottage, make it attractive for Christmas?  With all the time she has on her hands, she can save money by doing the work herself, and the project will keep her from brooding.  Feeling somewhat energized, she sets to work transforming the little cottage.

Designed by Swirl~Girl, THBL Logo by Danielle Haydis                            CAS Contest Logo designed by Samoht04

Please read The Forum Rules.

Links to My Stories                 CAS Contests

Offline samoht04

• Building Contest Coordinator
  • Global Moderator
  • Watcher
Re: It Happened One Christmas
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2011, 05:48:41 PM »
I'm sure this will be amazing and very festive! I just loved that look on Chris' face, Haha! Also is Sandy an Elder or an Adult with Age Detail?
Please read the Forum Rules![/center]

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline ratchie

• Global Moderator
  • Watcher
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2011, 06:08:21 PM »
See if Sandy was a dynasty founder Christopher would be all up on that like dip on chips. Great story I look forward to reading more.

Rachel
Please follow the forum rules.

Offline Schipperke

• Global Moderator
  • Watcher
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2011, 06:58:29 PM »
Thanks for the comments, Samoht and Ratchie!  I hope you'll enjoy this little tale.

Also is Sandy an Elder or an Adult with Age Detail?

She's an Adult whose sad life has aged her before her time.

Designed by Swirl~Girl, THBL Logo by Danielle Haydis                            CAS Contest Logo designed by Samoht04

Offline Seabody

• Global Moderator
  • Watcher
« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2011, 07:02:50 PM »
I really like this story Schipperke!

Offline ZapKid

• Electronic Enthusiast
  • Watcher
  • I'm doing an internet! Woooahhh!
« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2011, 07:04:30 PM »
This looks promising!  :D
Find my builds here. | Last Created; Cubeached
Also, feel free to request a home by PMing me! Always happy to help.

Hey guys I'm taking an extended hiatus... again. I'm out of ideas to build houses and I don't have as much fun designing homes like I used to; it feels more like a chore. So that's where I'll be, I will probably be back sometime. :P

Offline Schipperke

• Global Moderator
  • Watcher
« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2011, 08:36:45 PM »
Thanks very much, Seabody and Zapkid!  I hope to do daily updates for the remainder of this pre-Christmas week, so I hope you'll come back.  :)

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline ZapKid

• Electronic Enthusiast
  • Watcher
  • I'm doing an internet! Woooahhh!
« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2011, 08:44:30 PM »
Come back? I already have it bookmarked!  :D
Find my builds here. | Last Created; Cubeached
Also, feel free to request a home by PMing me! Always happy to help.

Hey guys I'm taking an extended hiatus... again. I'm out of ideas to build houses and I don't have as much fun designing homes like I used to; it feels more like a chore. So that's where I'll be, I will probably be back sometime. :P

Offline MoonsAreBlue

• Infatuated Fanatic
  • Watcher
« Reply #8 on: December 18, 2011, 09:44:05 PM »
Yes! I absolutely love your stories, Schip! I'm so looking forward to this.

Offline Gogowars329

• Watcher
« Reply #9 on: December 18, 2011, 09:52:53 PM »
This sounds like it'll be a beautiful story. So far, Sandy seems to be a very interesting character.
Gogowars Inc - The place to find all of my wonderful Sims 3 creations

Offline moonshadow

• Watcher of the Moon.
  • Townie
  • "It's not someday, but today that I change"
« Reply #10 on: December 18, 2011, 09:55:24 PM »
Can't wait for the next one. Great job.

Offline Schipperke

• Global Moderator
  • Watcher
« Reply #11 on: December 19, 2011, 07:36:13 AM »
Thanks very much for the comments, MoonsAreBlue, Gogowars and Moonshadow!  I hope you'll continue to enjoy this little story.

So far, Sandy seems to be a very interesting character.

Do you think so?  Just wait till you meet the next main character in this story!  ;) Later today ...

Offline Schipperke

• Global Moderator
  • Watcher
« Reply #12 on: December 19, 2011, 09:19:00 AM »
Chapter 2

Sandy works hard and soon has the little house looking quite festive.  It reminds her of a gingerbread house she remembers from her childhood.

Now that the renovations are done, Sandy feels at loose ends.  It's less than a week till Christmas and none of the businesses are hiring.  Fishing has always relaxed her, so she decides to go check out one of the fishing holes in her new town.

Sandy is the only one out fishing this afternoon.  The fishing hole is quiet and deserted except for Sandy and the wild horses who warily eye the intruder in their midst.

Suddenly Sandy is startled by a voice saying, "That fish looks good!  Boy, am I ever hungry!"

Sandy looks around but sees no-one but the horses.  She wonders if she's cracking up, when the voice comes again, "Didn't you hear me?  I said I'm hungry!"

Finally Sandy looks down and sees a small black dog staring at her.

Now Sandy is really beginning to think she's cracking up.  She stares back at the dog, unable to believe her ears.
The dog speaks again, "You wouldn't miss one little fish, would you?  To save a poor starving dog?"
Sandy says hesitantly, "You can talk?!"
The dog seems to roll his eyes.   "Well, obviously I can talk.  The real question here is, what use is it for me to talk to someone who doesn't seem to want to hear?  Or maybe you're the sort of mean Sim who likes to see dogs starve."
Sandy responds indignantly, "I love dogs!  And all animals!  I just lost my job because I was trying to help the animals at the lab.  Here, you can have the fish."
She bends down and hands the fish to the little dog, who gobbles it.

Sandy is intrigued by this strange little character.  She asks, "What's your name?"
The dog says, "You can call me Incubus."
Sandy, "I'm Sandy.  Where do you live, Incubus?"
Incubus replies, "I'm homeless.  It's a sad thing, to be homeless at Christmas."
Sandy, perhaps recognizing a kindred spirit, responds, "Would you like to come home with me?"
The dog's mouth opens in a grin and he says, "I thought you'd never ask."

Sandy and Incubus walk off together down the path to the Gingerbread Cottage.  Sandy doesn't look back and doesn't see the grey-suited figure who smiles as he watches them leave.

loveSims

Re: It Happened One Christmas/Chapter 2
« Reply #13 on: December 19, 2011, 10:18:04 AM »
I love the story! The schipperky doggie is too cute! Can't wait for more. Now I must read you other story ;D

Offline Schipperke

• Global Moderator
  • Watcher
Re: It Happened One Christmas/Chapter 2
« Reply #14 on: December 19, 2011, 10:21:51 AM »
Thanks for the comment, loveSims!  I'm glad you like the story.  Yeah, all Schipperkes are cute (speaking as a biased observer).  But if you like Incubus and would like to have him in your game, he's in the Swap Shop.  As is the man in the grey suit.  ;)