Author Topic: Union Cove - The Forum's World  (Read 352804 times)

Offline Lizzy3272

• Llama Wrangler
  • SSDD
Re: Union Cove - The Forum's World
« Reply #195 on: December 30, 2011, 10:25:01 PM »
Okay there is no extract option

This is a Win7 issue.  I had a similar issue before when I realized the "compress folder" option was missing.  After much research, it was determined that the only time this happens is if your profile becomes (magically) 'broken' and the only way to resolve it is by creating a new user on your Windows and moving all of your personal files over...

On a side note, typically if you just double-click on the file (in Win7 at least) it will auto-extract it.
"The black man fled across the desert, and the gunslinger followed..."

Sportsfan

« Reply #196 on: December 30, 2011, 10:28:08 PM »
@lizzy: I think the problem for me was the file wasn't on my desktop

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline alex51299

• Watcher
« Reply #197 on: December 30, 2011, 10:28:23 PM »
Thanks everyone!

Lowering my settings did the trick.  No problems with night/day switch, or doing the memory thing or queueing up things to do.  It's also a lot faster for me.  Oh, I also turned off Origin which I think helped my pc in general.  With it on and leaving Firefox on it just slowed everything way down.  CAS is still horribly slow but it always has been for me because I do a lot of recolors on clothes, (and have a tremendous amount of clothes and hair anyway), and I save my recolored things.  So everybody, exit from Origin to give yourselves a wee boost in speed.
Does turning off Origin just mean uninstalling it, or is there a seperate way to just turn it off? I went to uninstall it and a notice came up that doing so could effects EA games badly so I'm kinda scared.
If at first you don't succeed, call it version 1.0.

Offline Seabody

• Global Moderator
  • Watcher
« Reply #198 on: December 30, 2011, 10:33:04 PM »
I uninstalled Origin back when it was called the EADM. Only problem I had? I had to patch manually, and it isn't that hard.

Offline alex51299

• Watcher
« Reply #199 on: December 30, 2011, 10:42:11 PM »
I uninstalled Origin back when it was called the EADM. Only problem I had? I had to patch manually, and it isn't that hard.
Okay, so you can now tell that I have as much techincal logic as a mouse, but what does that mean?  :-[

Offline Seabody

• Global Moderator
  • Watcher
« Reply #200 on: December 30, 2011, 10:47:58 PM »
Do you know when you start the launcher and it says "A game update is available", you click the download link and the game applies the update?
I had to do that by hand.

Offline alex51299

• Watcher
« Reply #201 on: December 30, 2011, 10:52:49 PM »
Do you know when you start the launcher and it says "A game update is available", you click the download link and the game applies the update?
I had to do that by hand.
OH! Thanks, off to uninstall origin.

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline Joria

• Top Secret
  • Watcher
« Reply #202 on: December 30, 2011, 11:55:31 PM »
Nooooooo!  Do NOT uninstall Origin.  Just go down to the task bar at the bottom of your screen and find the icon for Origin.  Right click on it and choose exit.  It will take you out of the application without uninstalling it.  If you uninstall it how will you use your launcher to open Sims3?  Exiting it just closes it.
What?  Grannies can't play games?
I speak perfect Nooblik, (and some Simlish)!

----------
With A Twist, an Immortal Dynasty
My No Buy Story
Joria's Creations on the Gallery

Offline Lizzy3272

• Llama Wrangler
  • SSDD
« Reply #203 on: December 31, 2011, 12:33:11 AM »
I just uninstalled it and my Launcher still worked like normal...

I'm having troubling issues with UC.  I've lowered all of my graphic settings (to at least Medium) and all it seems to do is buy me more time before the game inevitably crashes...  I will see it glitch out right before the crash - ex. when I click on windows and none of the windows load or last time when the windows worked fine but I clicked on wallpaper and none of the wallpaper loaded.  I'm trying to outsmart it now by saving the game before this happens so I don't have to start from scratch every time.  I successfully saved it in Edit Town after inputting a few of my premade Sims but I have not been able to get it to save once I actually "Start Playing" my household.  I have tried "Save" and "Save As" (with overwrite) and both gave me Error 12.  I am currently trying "Save As" with renaming the file and I am almost 20 minutes in counting with it still saving...  (It has not frozen as far as I can tell.)

I guess my next step will be lowering my Graphic settings down to all "Low" settings?  Not really how I want to play my game but it's worth the shot!  ;)

Offline Joria

• Top Secret
  • Watcher
« Reply #204 on: December 31, 2011, 12:39:58 AM »
I just uninstalled it and my Launcher still worked like normal...

I'm having troubling issues with UC.  I've lowered all of my graphic settings (to at least Medium) and all it seems to do is buy me more time before the game inevitably crashes...  I will see it glitch out right before the crash - ex. when I click on windows and none of the windows load or last time when the windows worked fine but I clicked on wallpaper and none of the wallpaper loaded.  I'm trying to outsmart it now by saving the game before this happens so I don't have to start from scratch every time.  I successfully saved it in Edit Town after inputting a few of my premade Sims but I have not been able to get it to save once I actually "Start Playing" my household.  I have tried "Save" and "Save As" (with overwrite) and both gave me Error 12.  I am currently trying "Save As" with renaming the file and I am almost 20 minutes in counting with it still saving...  (It has not frozen as far as I can tell.)

I guess my next step will be lowering my Graphic settings down to all "Low" settings?  Not really how I want to play my game but it's worth the shot!  ;)

I've not had it crash nor do I get Error 12 but it was so slow it was impossible to enjoy, and I helped build the place!  You can imagine how long it took to put up even the simplest building sometimes with what you have been experiencing.  I finally did just what you said you were going to do.  I left my Sims detail on medium, tree detail on medium, and lowered everything else to the low setting.  From a distance it isn't as pretty but up close it is fine and it works much faster and better for me.  I DID remove a lot of trees and grasses and bill boards.  I hated to do it but thought it might help and it seemed to.

I'm wondering if the game is really unhappy with us.  We loaded a LOT of Sims onto UC so they would be the npc shopkeepers, mixologists and such but as I've checked most of those career types are game generated npcs.  So am wondering if that has just made it too many people for the game to handle.
What?  Grannies can't play games?
I speak perfect Nooblik, (and some Simlish)!

----------
With A Twist, an Immortal Dynasty
My No Buy Story
Joria's Creations on the Gallery

Offline alex51299

• Watcher
« Reply #205 on: December 31, 2011, 12:57:11 AM »
I unistalled Origin and the launcher is fine, no changes so far on the bad side. The game is running better so that's good.

Offline KJSinclair

• Townie
  • I may have a sharp tongue but I have a soft heart
« Reply #206 on: December 31, 2011, 02:06:45 AM »
I have yet to experience a crash just an awesomely slow CAS. I am going to clean up my game. I am going to move the 'seasonal' items out of the game and generally downsize to just a few select patterns and store items. Then I am going to clean out my old sims and houses. I am not going to delete anything just remove it from the folder.

I do this periodically anyway and remove anything that I haven't used in a while and probably aren't likely to use.

I will play test a little tomorrow and if it changes performance dramatically I will let you know.

Kindest Regards
KJ
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes we have to wait a long time for the reason to become clear.

Offline Lizzy3272

• Llama Wrangler
  • SSDD
« Reply #207 on: December 31, 2011, 02:10:51 AM »
I'm wondering if the game is really unhappy with us.  We loaded a LOT of Sims onto UC so they would be the npc shopkeepers, mixologists and such but as I've checked most of those career types are game generated npcs.  So am wondering if that has just made it too many people for the game to handle.

I was thinking that too...  I lowered all of the graphic settings (except Sim Detail is on High and I think I left Object Detail, Visual Effects, and Shadows on Med and Reflection on Mirrors Only) and it really isn't that bad - except for the grass and trees, all of the objects just seem to take a while to load their detail and I can live with that - so everything seemed to be working Great! ...Until now - I'm running into the Save Error again! :-\  But my game is still working.  I'm going to try and... I don't know, get some sleep? (Haha) I'll leave my game on with the laptop closed (I've done this many times before) and hash it out some more in the morning.  (If I'm lucky, maybe it'll just decide to behave overnight?)  Hopefully, I'll come up with some fresh ideas in my sleep - if not, I'll probably try deleting (after saving a copy of course!) some of the preloaded families and homes and see if that changes anything (I honestly hope it doesn't and I have to come up with a different option ;)).

PS. In case anyone was wondering for troubleshooting comparison - my laptop is a Vaio Win7 32-bit Pro, 4gb Mem, 2.10 Ghz Dual Core Processor, ATI Radeon Mobility 4200 HD Series and I have about 100GB free on my hard drive and blah, blah, blah I'm going to bed... ::)

Offline Katluvr

• Crazy Cat Lady - Origin ID: Katluvr23
  • Watcher
  • The shortest distance between two people is a hug.
« Reply #208 on: December 31, 2011, 04:07:39 AM »
Sadly I have to say that I uninstalled UC this evening because just having it installed was seriously lagging my AP Immortal Dynasty file.  I tried turning my graphics settings to low and it didn't cure the lag, so I uninstalled UC, turned graphics back up to my preferred settings (mostly high), and my dynasty file ran without any issues.

I have a really robust processor (Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-2600K CPU @ 3.40GHz, 3701 Mhz, 4 Cores, 8 Logical Processors) and 8Gb RAM.  My graphics card is an NVIDIA GeForce GTX 550 Ti.  My computer should be able to handle UC without breaking a sweat, and yet TS3 came to a screeching halt when I wasn't even playing the new world.

Is there a way to install UC but keep it sequestered so it doesn't impact other game files? 

Offline BellaClo

• Immortal
  • Has entered city planning mode
    • Reticulated Plumbobs
« Reply #209 on: December 31, 2011, 04:26:02 AM »

Is there a way to install UC but keep it sequestered so it doesn't impact other game files?

Look at this thread about "Factory Reset": http://www.carls-sims-3-guide.com/forum/index.php/topic,7507.0.html

This way, you can keep UC and its specific saves and settings in one "Sims 3 folder" and have your Dynasty and other saves in another folder. Just remember to rename the Sims 3 folder appropriately before you start the game.

As a side not, all the mixologists, bouncers... are homeless Sims not residents, so all the premade Sims included in UC can't be used to filled those jobs. And indeed, the game generated quite an amount of additional Sims in my test file so far. For player who have lower end computer like me, I would suggest deleting additional professional bars (keep only 1/venue lot) and maybe bouncers too.

Follow me @ RETICULATED PLUMBOBS and Happy Simming!

anything