Author Topic: Cost Of Happiness - Chapter 6 Updated  (Read 15801 times)

Offline Indira

• Occult
Cost Of Happiness - Chapter 6 Updated
« on: September 27, 2014, 08:46:09 AM »
Cost Of Happiness
by Indira

Character Introductions

Tiffany Oakes
Robert Downey

Chapter 1 Journey to Willow Creek
Chapter 2 Murohy's Law
Chapter 3 Old Friends, New Friends
Chapter 4 McDreamy
Chapter 5 The Question
Chapter 6 Something Old, Something Blue

-o0o-

Character Introduction: Tiffany Oakes

Hi, I’m Tiffany Oakes. I like doing various things in life, so I guess you can call me a Renaissance Sim.  I love creating works of art like drawing with crayons, painting with crayons, and colouring with crayons. In short, I’m very artistic! Of course those art critics are just too simple minded to notice my great Masterpieces. I’m also very well-versed about books. Ask me for love advices and I will surely quote famous Harlequin Romance solutions word per word. Did I mention Barbara Cartland? Oh goodness, you can solve love problems just by making your eyes big, and fainting at the feet of a gallant rogue...erm, hero. And of course, my life isn’t complete without food. Love of my life!  I once had a tete-a-tete with a bestie on the different ways to cook eggs. It was a glorious time!

I have lived for most of my child and teen years in Sunset Valley. I don’t expect you to have noticed my family living on the fringe, but we there if you just look closely. I was even friends with the famous Goths! Mortimer was a school chum. But I haaated Bella for snatching him away! Ahhh, but it was so long ago. I decided to travel to Shang Simla, to Champs Les Sims, and lastly to Al Simhara to heal my very broken heart.

I spent my days digging and digging and digging, everyday, all day. I amassed a fortune in antiques and rare collectibles. Alas! My luck ran out at Al Simhara and I was turned into a mummy! It took all my treasures and plenty of sacrifices to become a normal human again.

Shamed with my failure, I returned to Sunset Valley only to find even greater despair. For my whole family, my mom, my dad, all my four siblings, and even our pet dog, disappeared! Just like that. No notifications, no news from the daily paper. They simply vanished. Even their pictures in my relationship panel...gone. It was the saddest day of my entire life. I don’t think there could ever be a worse day than this.

Then the mailbox caught my eye for there was a letter sticking out like a sore thumb. I opened it despondently, and thru the tears in my eyes, I read: “Congratulations! You are the heir of Oakenstead! Please come by my office as soon as possible to discuss the details.”

And here starts my story.

Chapter 1 Journey to Willow Creek

“Are you sure you want me to leave you here, Ma’am?” asked the taxi driver, gesturing to the open land with only trees and a rusty mailbox in the driveway. “I could drop you off at an inn in Willow Creek town proper if you like.”

“It’s okay. This is the place, Oakenstead,” Tiffany Oakes replied. “Thank you for bringing me.”

“Well, if you’re sure then,” he shrugged. He returned to his cab and with a last wave, disappeared down the road.

“So, this is Oakenstead. I can’t say it is home sweet home when there is no home to see, “she sighed.

Gathering her sole luggage, she trudged towards the distant clearing. According to the solicitor, there is a small shed in there with a few working appliances. It had been a surprise when she received a notice to appear at the solicitor’s office. The news of the inheritance was both a shock and a reprieve from her current situation.

She knew her family had originally come from Willow Creek. Her great grandparents used to be a big name in this town. But there was a huge fire that swallowed the whole house and left nothing much to salvage. The town didn’t boast a fire department. Even to this day, firemen still don’t exist in this part of the world. And since Oakenstead is near the edge of town, the neighbours were late to come while carrying buckets of water to put out the fire. The only thing left from the ruins was an ancient suit of armour.

A second blow landed on the Oakes family when the SIM Insurance Company refused to pay them. They said that a fire caused by an inexperienced cook is not part of the package. Devastated with the news, there was nothing the family could do but to make ends meet by searching community trash cans for food, begging alms and asking loans from neighbours. Great Grandma Oakes died from too much embarrassment from doing these. It left Great Grandpa Oakes to take care of their son, James Oakes.

After finishing high school, James’ father died from very old age. No matter how much he pleaded with Grim, it was to no avail. Saddened and in mourning, he wrote his last will and testament and left his wasted ruin of a home, to find a future in Sunset Valley.

Finally arriving at the clearing, the shed boasted a fridge and a bed, and possibly a toilet inside that enclosed broom closet.

“Well, well, well, at least there’s a fridge and a bed. I hope it’s comfortable enough for I’m so tired,” Tiffany said in the almost empty lot. “If there’s no one to talk to, maybe I can just talk to myself to raise my social needs? Hmm..”

She could see a picnic bench and the gas lamp. Walking towards it, she debated whether to light it up or not. The memory of the Oakenstead fire, still fresh in her mind, made her hesitate. Then a strange sound filled the air. It was like wolves, maybe werewolves? For sure there isn’t any supernatural pack in the base game, but you just can’t be sure. “Better to light the lamp. It just might keep those strange animals away from me,” she murmured to herself.

The night slowly darkened the sky as Tiffany shivered in her lonely bed, exposed to the fierce and cold wind. Tomorrow is another day. Tomorrow is another chance to create a new life. “Tomorrow is still 12 hours away. I’m going to bed,” she said, irritated.

Offline arimau

• Eau Lumineuse
  • Occult
  • Time changes people hearts...
    • arimau's Playground
Re: Cost Of Happiness
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2014, 10:04:13 AM »
Interesting tale and well-written too! Your storytelling style is flowing so natural; I was hooked with the introduction alone. The mixture about Sims story and Sims game play really amused me (that makes me wonder; maybe someday I would like to buy The Sims 3). And your Sim is so pretty. She looks smart, calm and collected and I love her independence despite what happens to her life, she stills optimistic about life, she’s a tough one! Way to go, Tiffany! :)

P.S: Reference to the bestselling author is a good one for me to get ideas for a romantic story. Thanks to Tifanny for that ;) (you’re my lifesaver, I totally stuck for a romance plot, haha)
Arimau's Playground
Life Sounds Like (Complete)
This Is I Promise You: Bad Day

"Whatever you are, be a good one" - Abraham Lincoln -
"Because out of the heart's store come the words of the mouth." - unknown -

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline Magpie2012

• Tony Brooks fangirl - Jupiter Reaper fangirl too - Pippin fangirl ALWAYS
  • Watcher
  • Call me Mags or Steph
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2014, 10:11:00 AM »
This has started off really well! Can't wait to read more!
because... Math *Pippin The Most Tenacious Simmer*

Only 2 things are infinite... The universe and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe. *Albert Einstein*

Don't believe all the quotes that have been attributed to me. *Albert Einstein*

I can't ignore ALL of the voices in my head - Some of them actually make sense! *Blayzen*

Offline Gogowars329

• Watcher
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2014, 04:31:26 PM »
Interesting start! I can't wait to read more and find out more about Tiffany.
Gogowars Inc - The place to find all of my wonderful Sims 3 creations

Offline Devin

• Occult
« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2014, 07:37:35 PM »
This is fantastic! I can't wait to see more from you!

Offline Indira

• Occult
« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2014, 12:59:37 AM »
@ari: thank you. :) I read somewhere that Origin would sometimes offer a discounted price for past sims game. It might be best to buy sims3 at that time. I'm planning on getting it too if it appears. My own sims3 collection has never been complete. I wish Sims 2 and sims 1 too. Barbara Cartland is one of the few lovestory pocketbooks that I was allowed to read when I was around 12. Reading it would give you an idea why. Damsels in distress and poor waifs looking for someone to rescue them. All that cheesy, corny, and romantic love stories. None of the contemporary romances that abound right now. I wonder if I could find an ebook, I haven't read Barbara Cartland in years.

@Becki, @KRae, @Gogowars329, @Magpie2012
Thanks :) I hope to play (and not build houses) for the next few days while visiting my mom's place. It would be a good time to build some story and take screenies. Although I already have a general idea of where the story goes. But sometimes, life (as well as the game) goes in unexpected ways. And I want to include those little hitches in my sim's life story.

I'll be updating by thursday or friday. I have to write fast while my muse and overactive imagination is still running rampant.

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline ManiSims

• Occult
« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2014, 08:33:55 AM »
Haha, I really like the "breaking the fourth wall" kind of stuff. Looking forward to seeing more! :)

Offline Playalot

• Global Moderator
  • Watcher
« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2014, 12:01:13 AM »
Really fun start, great back story  :)
“Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.”  ― Dr. Seuss
A Hollingsworth Immortal TS4 Dynasty-Completed Hall of Fame
A Teen Runaway Story - Pets Completed

Remember the Forum Rules. They're there to be followed.

Offline Joria

• Top Secret
  • Watcher
« Reply #9 on: October 02, 2014, 06:28:07 PM »
Loving it!  Have you read Jude Deveraux?  Excellent author, especially the early books.  Highland lords and lassies, rogues and damsels too smart to forget and their line goes on right up to the modern day. 
What?  Grannies can't play games?
I speak perfect Nooblik, (and some Simlish)!

----------
With A Twist, an Immortal Dynasty
My No Buy Story
Joria's Creations on the Gallery

Offline Indira

• Occult
« Reply #10 on: October 03, 2014, 11:35:17 AM »
Chapter 2 Murphy's Law

The day dawned bright and early. Tiffany slowly opened her eyes. And in the next second she was practically jumping out of bed and pressing her legs together, her face scrunching like crazy.

“Oooohhh,” she groaned. “Bathroom, bathroom, bathroom!” Tiffany hurriedly walked ‘slowly’ towards the toilet. Gratefully, she sat on the bowl to relieve herself and whipped out her phone.  “Hmmm, I need to find some work soon,” she mused, checking for job openings.

“Secret Agent? Nah..too much hard work. Writer? I could write about my previous occupations. Oh! Culinary! This one’s easy!” With a few clicks, she sent her resume and application letter. She immediately received an alert to report on Monday afternoon. “So far, so good!”

With a final push, she’s almost done with her toiletry. When Tiffany tried to flush, she heard a creaking noise like some rusty mechanism. “Oh no...no please... Aw shoot! Are you kidding me?!” she rolled her eyes. It was most unfortunate that the water wasn’t turned on before she came here. Feeling grungy, she decided to find some place with a proper shower.

It was almost thirty minutes of waiting by the sidewalk before she realized there aren’t any cabs in Willow Creek. Talk about backward towns. It’s almost like living in the middle of nowhere. Looking at Oakenstead with the wild plants and trees, she had to concede that she is now basically living in the middle of a jungle. She had to be crazy to think she could live here and survive. But then again, her phone has wifi anywhere in this place. “Thank you, Lord, for small mercies.”

With a resigned sigh, she started walking towards the central part of town.

It wasn’t long before she spotted the gym. She hurriedly moved towards the place when she was suddenly shoved to one side. Startled, she looked back and encountered unfriendly eyes.

“Do you mind?” a shrieking voice could be heard coming from a very irate looking woman. “How dare you grace this place with your horrid scent?”

The loud voice attracted some people who turned to look at what’s going on. Embarrassed, Tiffany tried to sidle away but the angry woman continued with her tirade.

“Eeeeww, so smelly! Aren’t you ashamed of yourself? So disgusting!” she said hatefully while holding her nose. “Stinky girl, go away!”

With people’s eyes on her, Tiffany almost died of embarrassment. But memories of her harrowing mummy days gave her that little bit of confidence to fight back. Out of thin air, she readied a pitcher and threw water at the other woman. And she got water thrown at her too. At that moment, Tiffany learned the other woman had a mean trait.

All the while, the spectators oohed and ahhed while they were arguing. Then Tiffany saw someone in a flowing red dress staring at them. ‘Is that Bella Goth?’  she thought. ‘I need to get away quickly. I’d rather die before I get recognized and she sees me like this.’

With much dexterity, she was able to slip past the still fuming woman. At a run, she went towards the gym, glad to see that there weren’t a lot of people inside as the majority went outside when the fight started. Spying the bathroom upstairs, she immediately changed out of her clothes to take a refreshing shower. But with the way things had been happening that day, the shower had to break down. “Of course, just my luck.”

Her growling stomach reminded her, she hadn’t had breakfast or even lunch that day. It was almost evening and she is famished. Checking to see that no one was around to see her exit, Tiffany walked to The Blue Velvet Nightclub.

“Barten! Something sweet and spicy please! And add some chips too,” she smiled at the bartender. “What’s your name?”

The bartender looked at her gloomily and sighed, “Bob Pancakes.”

“Oh.” And silence.

“Have you been working long at this club?” she tried to start the conversation again.

“I guess,” another gloomy sigh could be heard.

‘What a gloomy person,’ Tiffany gloomily thought.

“Here’s your drink and chips,” said Bob Pancakes with another sigh. And Tiffany sighed with him.

Taking out her phone, she took a picture of her food and posted on SimBook.com. ‘Not like people actually care about me these days,’ she thought again.

While she was browsing for news on SimBook, she scarcely noticed the seat besides her being occupied. Too busy to even spare a glance at what could be her future.

Author's Notes
Some say that after a storm, a rainbow appears, and at the end of the rainbow is a pot of gold. Could it be true for our heroine? Or will bad luck continue to hound her? Stay tuned! :D

Offline arimau

• Eau Lumineuse
  • Occult
  • Time changes people hearts...
    • arimau's Playground
« Reply #11 on: October 03, 2014, 02:47:06 PM »
I wonder if I could find an ebook, I haven't read Barbara Cartland in years

Thank you for the information, Indira. That’s really helpful!

There are two websites that you could look into: http://www.barbaracartland.com/ and http://www.ebooks.com/

It seems that the first site announced that they will release e-books but there’s no link available yet to make a purchase. But, I saw a lot of collections of Barbara Cartland e-books with a reasonable price at the second site. I haven’t tried to make a purchase there, though. Good luck!

Let's get back on track :)

I love the pictures! The first picture is so hilarious (I hardly recognize that was Tifanny!) and Bella Goth expression is so priceless! Oh! I never knew there’s an option to take a picture of food. I’d love to try that someday while playing. It’s also a nice touch that you mention Bob Pancakes with one of his traits even there’s no picture of him :) 

And for the last thing: I just want to expect the unexpected :D
Arimau's Playground
Life Sounds Like (Complete)
This Is I Promise You: Bad Day

"Whatever you are, be a good one" - Abraham Lincoln -
"Because out of the heart's store come the words of the mouth." - unknown -

Offline Playalot

• Global Moderator
  • Watcher
Re: Cost Of Happiness (Ch 2 Murphy's Law)
« Reply #12 on: October 04, 2014, 02:22:14 AM »
Oh no.... turn your head.... oh my gosh! What a nice looking townie  :P

<Bookmarks Tiffany's blog on Simbook.com>
“Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.”  ― Dr. Seuss
A Hollingsworth Immortal TS4 Dynasty-Completed Hall of Fame
A Teen Runaway Story - Pets Completed

Remember the Forum Rules. They're there to be followed.

Offline ManiSims

• Occult
« Reply #13 on: October 04, 2014, 09:40:40 AM »
Ooh, random hot townies! I haven't actually run across one yet in my world... Quite sad actually.

Can't wait until the next update! :)

HazelS

« Reply #14 on: October 04, 2014, 12:22:09 PM »
Good start, I'm hoping for a happy ending for you!

anything