Author Topic: Ambitions: First Impressions  (Read 160084 times)

Offline Pam

• Community Manager
  • Forum Founder and Friend
  • Watcher
Ambitions: First Impressions
« on: May 29, 2010, 11:11:57 PM »
Some folks have gotten Ambitions installed a little before the release date! So, let's get started with our official Ambitions thread. What are your first impressions of the newest Sims 3 expansion pack?
Read and heed the Forum Rules, please!

Support the site when you purchase online!
Dreamweaver Immortal Dynasty
Dreamweaver 4 x 4 Dynasty
Pam's Sims 4 World Blog

"Half of my posts are correcting people. The other 49% is moving threads."

Offline MomOfMany

• Immortal
Re: Ambitions: First Impressions
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2010, 11:22:42 PM »
I like it, but there is a lot to explore, so there is still too much more for me to do yet to give a real opinion!

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline dannyr783

• Llama Wrangler
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2010, 06:42:06 AM »
I love many of the features, but a few annoy me.

My favorite career out of 3 that I thoroughly tried (stylist, investigator, firefighter) is the firefighter career. The one thing that Ambitions is unique with is, for example, firefighting requires handiness, co-workers, athletic, and emergencies. When I hit level 10 at about week 4 day 3 (so promotion time is similar to base game careers), I was only like level 3 athletic, and I only was at the acquaintance stage with most of the co-workers.

The consignment store is a bit buggy for me. Half the time it is grayed out and says "closed" and there is no shopkeeper anywhere nearby. It might make the game a bit easy, as for example, I put up a 3000 masterpiece painting, and it sold for over $5000 the first day.

I briefly hit on the architect career. While I found that I had a 40% build/buy mode discount, it was rather dull and boring. What annoyed me is how little it relies on more than you placing everything in the room around budget price. As a test, I put chairs flying everywhere facing different directions, and still got a good review.

If i was to compare it to World Adventures, I'd say that World Adventures was a lot more fun at first, and a lot more exciting, but Ambitions has a very high re-playability rate, where World Adventures gets boring.

Offline Branr

• Occult
Answering Leto's questions
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2010, 08:31:29 AM »
I have a few questions about Ambitions. I don't have the game yet, but because a lot of you do, maybe you are now already experienced enough to answer some:

Now sims can do laundry, do they have different types of dayly clothes, because they can not wair the same clothes that are in the laundry machine at that moment?

I've read that robots will arive with a taxi. Isn't somebody to invent them first and than make them before they will added to your game?

I've also read that a robot live longer than normal sims, but need other food to eat, like iron and other metals. Is there a way to make them immortal by eating a sort of food that give them the ability to be younger like that Ambrosia does for sims?

After a timemachine has been made, can it than technically being upgraded and so yes, to what? Unbrakable, sending sims to the right timeperiod they choose, paradox proof, that sort of things.

Can a robot technically being upgraded? And to what?

Not sure on the laundry part; when you change to go to bed, or take a bath/shower, you either leave a pile of dirty clothes on the floor, or put them in the laundry hamper (if you bought one). You can then wash the clothes for a positive moodlet that lasts 16 hours.

There are two ways to get a simbot: Either inventing one, or buying one using Lifetime Points (40k I believe).  The latter arrives in a taxi.

Not sure on the other questions.

Offline Schipperke

• CAS Contest Coordinator
  • Global Moderator
  • Watcher
Re: Answering Leto's questions
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2010, 10:17:35 AM »
I hope Leto isn't the only one who can ask questions on this thread  ;) because I'm also wondering about the laundry issue.  Mostly, I'm trying to find ways to avoid it - I play Sims to escape from tedious chores like that, and frankly my sims have better things to do with their time.  I'm sure I remember reading in some of the pre-release stuff that if you don't have the laundry equipment in your house, your sims will just spin out of their clothes in the usual way, without leaving piles of clothing.  Can any of you with the game confirm this?  I'm really hoping that I can avoid the issue by not buying the equipment.  Thank you!

Designed by Swirl~Girl, THBL Logo by Danielle Haydis                            CAS Contest Logo designed by Samoht04

Please read The Forum Rules.

Links to My Stories                 CAS Contests

Offline Sarah

• Townie
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2010, 01:24:26 PM »
I remember reading an EA post that laundry was optional. If you don't buy the equipment to do laundry, you won't have to do it. What's the surprise for the high end laundry things though? Has anyone found that out? At first I thought it was going to be something along the lines of letting Sims launder money but that's a little bit illegal lol
Grr Argh!

Offline MomOfMany

• Immortal
« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2010, 01:34:48 PM »
I don't know about the laundry issue as of yet but I do know that the three homes I got came with the laundry items. One I bought furnished and the other two where townies that I decided to play! I will do some more research on this at another time.

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Nibbles

« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2010, 02:29:29 PM »
What new life states came with Ambitions?

PS we could rename the thread as 'Ambitions Q&A session'  ^^

Offline Metropolis Man

• Tournament/Dynasty Coordinator
  • Administrator
  • Watcher
« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2010, 03:48:41 PM »
I saw Pam's request to Leto to ask his questions in this thread, so I thought it would be best to merge the Answering Leto thread into this one.

Offline Branr

• Occult
« Reply #9 on: May 31, 2010, 04:17:37 PM »
What new life states came with Ambitions?

The Simbot, formerly known as servo, and aka Frankensim (as far as I know).

Leto85

« Reply #10 on: May 31, 2010, 06:01:07 PM »
I saw Pam's request to Leto to ask his questions in this thread, so I thought it would be best to merge the Answering Leto thread into this one.

Haha, thank you then. :) This forum is way too fast for me. :P I was just about to do this myself, but it turns out that I got my question answered here before I even could ask my questions... Sounds a bit paradoxal. Maybe some of you do have that time machine already. :P

Offline Swede1992

• Watcher
« Reply #11 on: May 31, 2010, 06:18:38 PM »
What I've been pondering about, is how does the scrapyard work?
Do you buy your junk or is it just there for the taking? Endless amount?
Manbearpig simply wants to get you. I'm super cereal. - Al Gore :)
There is no absolute truth, but the Forum Rules still come pretty close. Pay them a visit.

Offline samoht04

• Building Contest Coordinator
  • Global Moderator
  • Watcher
« Reply #12 on: May 31, 2010, 06:50:19 PM »
Maybe it is like a Bug/Gem/Butterfly/Metal/You know what I mean  ;) Spawn Spot?
Please read the Forum Rules![/center]

Offline Branr

• Occult
« Reply #13 on: May 31, 2010, 07:11:23 PM »
From what I have seen on the videos, you walk in, set an explosive charge at a pile of junk, STEP BACK, and BOOM!  Then you pick up the scrap left lying around.

Oh, did you know you can blow up almost anything now with these?  Did your dishwasher break down one too many times?  Blow it up and collect scrap!

Leto85

« Reply #14 on: June 01, 2010, 02:43:04 AM »
From what I have seen on the videos, you walk in, set an explosive charge at a pile of junk, STEP BACK, and BOOM!  Then you pick up the scrap left lying around.

Oh, did you know you can blow up almost anything now with these?  Did your dishwasher break down one too many times?  Blow it up and collect scrap!

Haha, that's to funny! I've read that the scrap you collect can be eaten by robots. Is that true?

anything