Author Topic: Ambitions: First Impressions  (Read 160080 times)

Offline pallyndrome

• Watcher
  • The Goanna
    • Hannah Goanna
Re: Ambitions: First Impressions
« Reply #15 on: June 01, 2010, 04:40:06 AM »
I heard you can blow up your neighbours cars!

I got a call to say my copy is in store! I'll pick it up tomorrow morning :D

Offline igzigpuff

• Occult
« Reply #16 on: June 01, 2010, 09:00:30 AM »
What I've been pondering about, is how does the scrapyard work?
Do you buy your junk or is it just there for the taking? Endless amount?
Your Sim can rummage/gather scrap from the scrapyard from the piles that have twinkling stars.  You can also rummage for scrap from your neighbors rubbish and recycle bins (there are new recycle bins for inside and outside of the your Sims home).  If you buy the inventor table there is an option to buy scrap.  If you have a Sim Bot he can smash items which will create scrap.
Here is a pic of the junkyard.

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline MomOfMany

• Immortal
« Reply #17 on: June 01, 2010, 09:49:55 AM »
Yes it is like igzigpuff said you can even salvage like furniture that has been left there. It looks like it was from a fire though. The thing is I can't figure out how to fix it. The only option I get it to replace it for x amount but it is the same as if you were to buy it new so I don't see the point in it. I thought that you were able to fix them then resell them at the consignment shop but maybe I was wrong. Anyone with the book know anything about it?

Another thing I noticed is you can now register as self employed. And that is actually listed as your career and you go up levels and get raises. Don't know much else about it though. I am pretty sure that is not something you could do before but if so I never knew!

Offline Sarah

• Townie
« Reply #18 on: June 01, 2010, 10:37:58 AM »
Another thing I noticed is you can now register as self employed. And that is actually listed as your career and you go up levels and get raises. Don't know much else about it though. I am pretty sure that is not something you could do before but if so I never knew!

That's definitely something new with Ambitions because in the base game and WA artists, writers, gardeners and fishermen technically don't have a job, even though that's how they'd make their living. I didn't know they'd introduce levels and raises though, that's interesting. How does the game measure job performance for those careers?
Grr Argh!

lianne

« Reply #19 on: June 01, 2010, 10:47:48 AM »
Has anyone had any problems with playing saved games after installing ambitions? I'm a bit apprehensive about installing it mid-challenge!

Offline Delgar

• Townie
« Reply #20 on: June 01, 2010, 01:56:21 PM »
Anyone check to see if the Painting/Guitar exploit is still exploitable?

Offline Delgar

• Townie
« Reply #21 on: June 01, 2010, 03:02:58 PM »
yah I'm going to pick it up on my way home after dropping off the wifes dry cleaning.

I was hoping to get House Hunter's challenge done this weekend so that I'm caught up on challenges and can do a trial run of the collectors challenge and play around with Ambitions. (sigh)

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline Branr

• Occult
« Reply #22 on: June 01, 2010, 05:37:37 PM »
Aaaand had my first crash: first thing I did (in a new Riverview) was check real estate on the phone.  As soon as the window closed, I had a CTD.

Offline Branr

• Occult
« Reply #23 on: June 01, 2010, 05:43:03 PM »
And crash #2! This time I loaded up a saved game (SV this time) and first thing it did was prompt me to add new venues (fire station, etc.) to the town.  Since I didn't HAVE any open lots, I skipped em all.  Went through the tutorial on placing the lots, and was about to go to Edit Town, and crash to desktop.

FYI: the new lots (fire station, junkyard, salon and consignment store) all go on 20x30 lots. Front of the salon faces the long side, the other three face the short side.

Offline Branr

• Occult
« Reply #24 on: June 01, 2010, 06:17:33 PM »
And crash #3! MAde it through editing a town to add all the lots, picked a sim, made it to the fire station and joined the profession, THEN crashed....

Leto85

« Reply #25 on: June 01, 2010, 06:31:05 PM »
And crash #3! MAde it through editing a town to add all the lots, picked a sim, made it to the fire station and joined the profession, THEN crashed....

Reading your post I got the feeling you just start over everytime after a crash. You really need to save more often dude.

Offline Branr

• Occult
« Reply #26 on: June 01, 2010, 06:34:48 PM »

Reading your post I got the feeling you just start over everytime after a crash. You really need to save more often dude.

Speaking of, crash #4!  Started in Twinbrook with a brand new created sim, and crashed as soon as he started heading for the fire station.

These crashes occur within a minute or two of starting actual play.  Now when I edited the town to add the lots, I saved after that.  Time to go in and look at my folders to make sure I don't have anything downloaded causing these crashes.

Offline dannyr783

• Llama Wrangler
« Reply #27 on: June 01, 2010, 06:45:03 PM »

Speaking of, crash #4!  Started in Twinbrook with a brand new created sim, and crashed as soon as he started heading for the fire station.

These crashes occur within a minute or two of starting actual play.  Now when I edited the town to add the lots, I saved after that.  Time to go in and look at my folders to make sure I don't have anything downloaded causing these crashes.

You probably do, i haven't had a single crash in 3 days. I'd say ambitions is pretty bug proof as of now.

Offline Branr

• Occult
« Reply #28 on: June 01, 2010, 07:10:57 PM »
My version of Windows doesn't like The Sims 3.  I checked the tech forums at the site and found someone who had similiar problems, who turned off his DEP.  I googled "DEP Sims 3" and found a forum post from the FIRST Sims 3 launch with people having the problem.  DEP: Data Execution Prevention.  I followed his directions to open the exclusion list to add my new version of Sims, and sure enough, there are all the OTHER versions of the program sitting on the list already.  Just went back to where I had my first crash, and all is well.

Valadhiel

« Reply #29 on: June 01, 2010, 07:14:26 PM »
Wow ... what version of Windows do you have?