Author Topic: Ambitions: First Impressions  (Read 160110 times)

Offline Branr

• Occult
Re: Ambitions: First Impressions
« Reply #30 on: June 01, 2010, 07:16:57 PM »
Wow ... what version of Windows do you have?

Vista with SP2

Offline Pam

• Community Manager
  • Forum Founder and Friend
  • Watcher
« Reply #31 on: June 01, 2010, 07:50:57 PM »
This thread is for First Impressions of Ambitions gameplay.  Please start new topics on the Technical Help board for problems with crashing and such.  Thanks!
Read and heed the Forum Rules, please!

Support the site when you purchase online!
Dreamweaver Immortal Dynasty
Dreamweaver 4 x 4 Dynasty
Pam's Sims 4 World Blog

"Half of my posts are correcting people. The other 49% is moving threads."

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline MomOfMany

• Immortal
« Reply #32 on: June 01, 2010, 07:57:25 PM »
Has anyone had any problems with playing saved games after installing ambitions? I'm a bit apprehensive about installing it mid-challenge!

I haven't had any problems with it at all. All my saved games play just fine!

Offline Branr

• Occult
« Reply #33 on: June 01, 2010, 08:45:48 PM »
Now that my problem is fixed, I CAN give some first impressions :)

Been playing the Fire Fighter, and I gotta say, the first time the alarm went off, I felt a rush of adrenaline. The second fire I put out was at a romantic interest's house.  I put out the fire, but she sure didn't show any appreciation!

Offline Missa

• Townie
« Reply #34 on: June 01, 2010, 10:34:03 PM »
I have been playing ambitions for only 2 game weeks, but I really like it so far. I picked the lifetime wish of maxing out the painting, inventing and sculpting skills. I signed up to be a self employed painter as that is the skill I am focusing on first and it seems really cool. I get a "promotion" when I reach a certain dollar amount of painting sales, which is every 2 or 3 days spending most of my time painting small paintings. I really like the feature as I never liked that you were unemployeed when you wanted to make money with a skill like painting. The pop up windows have been redesigned and I like the new look. I haven't really explored the new city since I am focusing on painting, but it seems nice. Although I have gone to the consignment store 3 times to try to sell my paintings and the guy is either not there or he leaves to go eat something or read a book and any interaction with the register is grayed out so I've pretty much given up on that. As far as I can tell they fixed the painting bug but since I've done only small paintings I'm not positive. So far I would say that I think it will add more playable features long term for me than World Adventures did since I enjoy focusing on day to day play more than traveling.

Offline Pam

• Community Manager
  • Watcher
« Reply #35 on: June 01, 2010, 11:19:28 PM »
Welcome to our Forum, Missa! Thanks for sharing your impressions of Ambitions. I'm in the process of a reinstall right now and should have Ambitions running shortly. It's exciting!  :D

Pam's Sims 4 World Blog

Offline TommyT

• Occult
« Reply #36 on: June 01, 2010, 11:45:13 PM »
I capped out the fire profession earlier today.  It was a lot of fun controlling my Sim at station, and incredibly accurate seeing as how every time I laid down for a nap or started making a meal we got a call :p  Payment was different than current jobs, instead of coming home with money every day your Sim gets a weekly paycheck based on the level of his profession.  At level 10 (with the bonus money LTW) I was bringing home about $3000 every Sunday at noon; however, I also got paid based on the kind of calls I ran. 
I would generally run 1-2 calls per day, and the ones I experienced were Small House Fire, Large House Fire, Disaster, and Strange Occurrence.  These included oven fires, gas leaks, trapped civilians, and even angry garden gnomes and would pay me about 25-200% of my weekly stipend per call (depending on the severity).
I had a couple festivals in honor of me in front of city hall where I was rewarded with a trophy and a 4-day positive moodlet, and other recognitions for saving X amount of children or getting promoted X times throughout my career.  Overall, this is a very rewarding route in a playability sense, but monetarily is somewhat medium-low on the totem pole of overall $/day.

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline Pam

• Community Manager
  • Watcher
« Reply #37 on: June 01, 2010, 11:49:06 PM »
Yay TommyT! That's a great report on the Firefighter. Thanks for sharing it.  :)

Pam's Sims 4 World Blog

Offline TommyT

• Occult
« Reply #38 on: June 01, 2010, 11:58:01 PM »
No prob Pam :) also, I forgot to mention that upon reaching level 10 you get your own engine (called the Woo Woo 4000 - hahaha) and a emergency alarm so that you can effectively work from home.  There are still duties that need to be done at the actual station, but its nice to know that you can sleep in a bit everyday and go in late without sacrificing work performance!

Offline pallyndrome

• Watcher
  • The Goanna
    • Hannah Goanna
« Reply #39 on: June 02, 2010, 12:00:35 AM »
I just installed ambitions! Here are my first thoughts on the new items:

Lovely wicker chairs/tables! Very nice stately chairs and majestic beds. Love the outdoor lights. Love the new misc decorations! But I've always been a sucker for those. New child toys! Including a stall for selling stuff! What fun! And the motorbike looks cool. There is even a new larger car space - maybe for a fire engine? :D

Bad points:

No free simpoints included? :'( I rely on those.

Haven't actually started playing yet, but I'll start out slow - I don't have any generations ready for new careers yet.

Oh - love the new recycle bins. :)

Offline TommyT

• Occult
« Reply #40 on: June 02, 2010, 12:04:24 AM »
There is even a new larger car space - maybe for a fire engine? :D

Precisely  8)

enigma1717

« Reply #41 on: June 02, 2010, 12:52:48 AM »
My first impressions:
I only tested inventor and private investigator so far, and seeing as there is an entire thread that basically covers the idea of inventor I won't get into it much. You go to the scrapyard, or destroy things for 25 simoleons, or buy the scrap, or rummage, or have a robot smash stuff. Everything you do on the bench costs scrap, and you mostly do the invent actions to randomly learn a new invention, having found only a tad few mentioned in the invention thread that "do anything". You mostly look at it like its painting, in my opinion, but you make lots of really cheap things instead of one big one.

The private eye, he basically relies on logic as a skill and reminds me of a mix between the police officer and the journalist. He can perform stakeouts on locations where he goes and hides there for a little while, and after you can go home and write a report on it. Likewise, you can check a computer or wait for a call at home, and you get little missions as have been mentioned about the firefighter. Most of which are just to go chat with one person then another. However, sometimes you have to perform special actions at certain locations, like searching the garbage, the mail, or using a magnifying glass, etc. Notably, there are generally two ways to go about some of the missions. Sometimes if someone won't give you information, you can beat it out of them, or you could bribe them, or you could just be friendly. Also, when trying to get evidence at house, I had the option of just breaking in, instead of being invited. You get items along the way, like the magnifying glass, the fingerprint kit, a door, some weird cork board, but its all just for show, none had function outside of the occasional mission, although I had only reached rank 7.

As per robots, they do eat scrap, they also sleep, need to socialize, and everything else the same as normal sims. The only exception is that they do not bathe. The bar is permanently maxed. However, some of the bars didn't seem to go down too fast, but it may have been my imagination. The one I received from the lifetime reward came with 7 in handiness and 5 in logic as well. And besides the ability to smash things which is basically from what I have seen a free equivalent to "demolish" that inventors do, that is about it.

Around town, I've noticed that sometimes I there was a protest going on at city hall (it would be there when I clicked to become self employed) that I could join, and it didn't show up like an event like "Grill-a-thon", but I never actually had the chance yet to go join it. Also, am I the only person that can't find skill books at the library? I've looked all around and no free skill books to read to increase your skills. Just the fluff books. However, maybe it is just me. Someone also mentioned the consignment shop being closed, which yes, it seems some places aren't always open if the owner or no employee is working, namely that shop. Reminds me as well, I can't seem to notice NEGATIVE job performance. When I reject missions, or go a few days without completing the one I am on, it didn't seem to suffer on my job experience bar, no matter how lazy I was being as PI. Not sure why to bother taking unpaid leave (an option on your phone now) if that is the case.

Whew this is getting gigantic, but I did want to mention there are a few new interactions really minor and mostly mean, but namely I took the new ecofriendly trait and wow I've never been so bombarded with moodlets and new interactions. It is like taking evil, many of your actions change in name only. However, you can talk to people about ecofriendly topics, like composting. Also, you take showers really fast, it is even called quick shower, and you get a two hour moodlet for "conserving water" that you quickly lose as you use a sink or toilet. Basically, you will get bad moodlets for using things like a car (unless multiple people are in it, including a taxi because the driver apparently doesn't count) or a cheap washing machine or dryer. And you get good moodlets for things like riding a bike or apparently gardening. Most last 2-4 hours and range from +25-25.

Edit: Oops forgot, about laundry, don't fret too much about it. The items needed are really cheap. I bought a washer, a clothesline, and a hamper, and barely dented my normal house build. Also, in a house of two, I maybe did laundry every eight or so days. That was after I overfilled the hamper. I never even noticed any like "dirty" moodlets anywhere, it was only positive moodlets for when I did do the laundry. You can drag clothes yourself to the hamper, just like plates to the trash. It is also worth mentioning laundry happens, FAST. You pick up an instant bag of clothes from the hamper, drop it in the machine. Come back whenever later, take them out instantly and instantly plop them in a dryer or on the line in my case. Finally, whenever I felt like it I got them off the line. There is no tedious cleaning bar that takes time to fill or anything, just a quick animation.

Offline TommyT

• Occult
« Reply #42 on: June 02, 2010, 01:05:38 AM »
I actually like doing laundry so far.  As you said it happens so fast and after I upgraded the washer with some kind of polymer infusion deal I was getting +moodlets for 2 days for my clothes and +moodlets every night for sleeping on clean sheets.  Quick and easy way towards maxing your mood meter 24/7.

Offline wildredchild

• Immortal
  • Meet Sadie :)
« Reply #43 on: June 02, 2010, 02:19:31 AM »

Also, am I the only person that can't find skill books at the library? I've looked all around and no free skill books to read to increase your skills. Just the fluff books. However, maybe it is just me.

No it is not just you, there were no skilling books at the library in Twinbrook.  My Sim had to go to the bookstore and buy the skilling books she needed.

Offline Pam

• Community Manager
  • Watcher
« Reply #44 on: June 02, 2010, 02:24:45 AM »
My Sim is at the library in Twinbrook and there are no skill books.  I don't think I like that.  They should be able to study and increase skills for free!

Pam's Sims 4 World Blog