Author Topic: Gardening Career tips  (Read 15743 times)

Offline MeestorMark

• Townie
Re: Gardening Career tips
« Reply #15 on: April 08, 2013, 08:53:52 PM »
Grow only life-fruit (by far the most valuable produce) and garlic to use as fertalizer.

For people who like playing gardeners...

This weekend I found a harvestable that came with UL that is more profitable than life fruit. One of the new coffee beans (think it is called "red berry bean" if I remember it right) that you can buy from the grocery store for $50 each. Perfect versions are worth $200 each, and through the consignment shops can bring much more.

The real kicker is.... these beans are "common" for rarity and grow as fast as tomatoes and apples so far in my playing/testing this weekend. So once you have perfect species going, there really isn't any need to fertilize as they still grow and produce just as fast.

So I think perhaps life fruit might be knocked off the most profitable gardening peg. These beans can be purchased at the grocery store with no need to find the special seeds and see what develops. They can also be planted much earlier on in a gardeners progression through the skill. As they grow faster, it is also easier/quicker to get them to "perfect" versions as well. Would be interested to see if anyone else can duplicate this in their game as I haven't read anyone else talking about it yet. I hope it isn't just some cool glitch that happened in my game.

I also hope it is okay reviving an older thread, but it seems like this thread is right on topic for what I found this weekend. And I wanted to make sure and share the find with others that like playing gardeners.

Offline MeestorMark

• Townie
« Reply #16 on: April 09, 2013, 10:38:14 PM »
Noticed while playing today that the base price of the red berry beans at the grocery store are $75. $50 was a sale price.

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline Lallaith

• Nooboo
« Reply #17 on: April 10, 2013, 09:40:57 AM »
For people who like playing gardeners...

This weekend I found a harvestable that came with UL that is more profitable than life fruit. One of the new coffee beans (think it is called "red berry bean" if I remember it right) that you can buy from the grocery store for $50 each. Perfect versions are worth $200 each, and through the consignment shops can bring much more.

The real kicker is.... these beans are "common" for rarity and grow as fast as tomatoes and apples so far in my playing/testing this weekend. So once you have perfect species going, there really isn't any need to fertilize as they still grow and produce just as fast.

So I think perhaps life fruit might be knocked off the most profitable gardening peg. These beans can be purchased at the grocery store with no need to find the special seeds and see what develops. They can also be planted much earlier on in a gardeners progression through the skill. As they grow faster, it is also easier/quicker to get them to "perfect" versions as well. Would be interested to see if anyone else can duplicate this in their game as I haven't read anyone else talking about it yet. I hope it isn't just some cool glitch that happened in my game.

I also hope it is okay reviving an older thread, but it seems like this thread is right on topic for what I found this weekend. And I wanted to make sure and share the find with others that like playing gardeners.

I also love gardening! i rarely play non-gardener sims. I've been growing red berry beans too, and have the same experience as you. they are definitely by far the most profitable crop now.

Offline MeestorMark

• Townie
« Reply #18 on: April 10, 2013, 11:06:18 AM »
Sweet Lallaith! So glad this isn't just a glitch! Lol. Thanks for letting us know. :)

Offline peachbuddy

• Nooboo
« Reply #19 on: July 24, 2013, 07:45:10 AM »
Is there any way to grown plants in autumn and winter, mine are all dead or dormant when autumn comes.

Offline Audren

• Wearer of the Shoes
  • Watcher
  • O Captain, My Captain!
« Reply #20 on: July 24, 2013, 08:04:25 AM »
There should be these indoor planter things that came with Seasons you can use. Place them inside and you can grow no matter the weather. I'm not sure exactly where they are in Buy Mode, though.

Dellena

« Reply #21 on: July 24, 2013, 10:23:27 AM »
I believe the indoor planters came with Supernatural.  And they are in Decor>Plants

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline Trip

• Challenge Board Assistant
  • Global Moderator
  • Watcher
  • Three Chihuahuas in a Trenchcoat
« Reply #22 on: July 24, 2013, 10:26:06 AM »
You can also use moveobjects on to move plants indoors during cold weather, which is great if you don't have Supernatural and its indoor planters (and it's great even if you do, because those planters are clunky).
No respect, no chance, cease and desist when I chant-

Forum Rules / Outrun / Defunded

Offline MeestorMark

• Townie
« Reply #23 on: July 25, 2013, 08:08:46 PM »
I have noticed something else with gardening lately that some people may want to know.

I created a new sim a while back with the green thumb and gatherer traits. After maxing out his gardening skill and getting enough lifetime reward points, I bought him the Super Green Thumb reward. He (and other sims I have tested it on since) have been able to go to the grocery store (nice quality) or harvest around town (generally normal quality) and then plant those items and instantly have a new perfect plant planted.

With one of my test sims, I gave him the Super Green Thumb Reward when he was about skill level six in gardening. Once maxed in the skill, his "nice" harvestables planted yielded only "outstanding" plants, and "normal" yielded "excellent" plants. So for some reason the LTR has a much stronger effect if you add it after you have maxed out the gardening skill.

I hope this is helpful for others who garden a lot with their sims, maybe others have already figured it out though. I had always thought the Super Green Thumb reward was not helpful if you already had the Green Thumb trait for a sim. But it is actually quite helpful if you want a really efficient path to "perfect" plants.

Chuckles_82

« Reply #24 on: July 26, 2013, 12:19:31 AM »
Really? Are you sure that it is not from the 'gatherer' trait? I've only seen the LTR increase quality by about 1 level.

On another note, has anyone been able to get the WA or SN seeds from the gene splicing experiment?

Offline MeestorMark

• Townie
« Reply #25 on: July 26, 2013, 02:50:21 PM »
Chuckles, it is the combination of all four things. Green Thumb and Gatherer traits, maxing out the gardening skill, then buying the Super Green Thumb LTR.

You are right, if you take the Gatherer trait out of the combination, it doesn't come close to adding up to perfect plants when just planting from nice or normal. Sorry I didn't make it clear enough that the two traits listed are the baseline a sim must have in order to be able to pull it off.

Offline Skane

• Nooboo
« Reply #26 on: July 29, 2013, 04:38:34 PM »
Hi all. Returning player here. I kinda stopped after Showtime (Steam wasn't selling the latest seasons, so I thought the game support on Steam went dead), and apparently my previous forum account expired. :P

During the Steam Summer Sales though, I saw the latest expansions on sale and updated the game accordingly. I have always been a gardener type of Simmer, and Seasons is wrecking havoc on my crops. :o It took a while before I realised I could use the Planters from the Supernatural expansion to protect my plants. However, that led to another problem, plants in planters don't get watered from the automatic sprinkler, and it is very time-consuming to water all the plants.

Is there any way to automate the watering of plants in planters?

Cheers.

Offline KRae

• Watcher
« Reply #27 on: July 29, 2013, 07:02:50 PM »
I got the stonesthrow greenhouse and built a greenhouse in the backyard. It protects the plants and the gardening station that comes with it auto waters.

Offline fortheloveofcake

• Immortal
« Reply #28 on: July 30, 2013, 06:23:59 AM »
You don't need the green house set though, you ca just build a regular room with a roof and no flooring and use moveobjects on to let things be planted inside it. I imagine the sprinklers would work like this. The plants will not be affected by the seasons.

When you live, live with your soul, not with your time.
When you love, love with your heart, not with your mind.
When you want to be something, the world can't define, open up your eyes.

Offline MeestorMark

• Townie
« Reply #29 on: July 30, 2013, 06:55:12 PM »
When I tried that fortheloveofcake, my plants still couldn't be harvested in the winter. They would say "harvest" as their state but sims couldn't harvest them until spring.

I haven't tried it for quite a while though. Maybe a game update changed things.