Author Topic: Reaper's Genetic Legacy Experiment [Complete]  (Read 323431 times)

Offline LivvieLove

• Queen of Mush
  • Watcher
  • "Sh! Be quiet! The nutters are out to get me."
Re: Reaper's Genetic Legacy Experiment: Broken Barriers
« Reply #855 on: May 17, 2016, 02:07:27 PM »
Disclaimer:
Hey everyone! I'm just dropping by to 1) apologize for not getting an update up sooner - I was so determined to update every day of my vacation here (it was a goal of mine), but that kind of leads into... 2) this upcoming update that I should have up tonight is a real doozy.
A REAL doozy.
What does that mean, oh crazy writer? You ask.
It means that I've written a solid 18 single-spaced-11pt font update that is super stuffed with EVERYTHING.
Ugh, I went back and forth about the length of this chapter. I really did. It's a chunk and I know it, but all of it was necessary. I didn't want anyone to be confused, but some of the earlier generations will be rephrased and molded to fit the current story in this chapter. It shouldn't be too terrible, I hope, and I hope that it's not confusing for everyone.

When I post this chapter, I just wanted you all to know that you can feel free to call out any points that are hazy/unclear/confusing about what I've written. Otherwise, I feel pretty proud of how I was able to sum up a lot in this chapter, haha! Have mercy on me though.
That being said, keep an eye out for the two parter tonight - couldn't expect anything less for the return of our favorite broody vampire boy though, right?

<3 Ta-Ta-For-Now!
Livvielove

Offline LivvieLove

• Queen of Mush
  • Watcher
Re: Reaper's Genetic Legacy Experiment: Rise of a Vampire Lord: Part One
« Reply #856 on: May 17, 2016, 10:33:10 PM »
Alright everyone, I'm not quite done getting the screenshots for this chapter, but I've got enough for the first half before my game got a little wonky, so I'm going to put that together and get that up while I'm working on the last few pictures for the other chapter.
Here we go.

Rise of a Vampire Lord: Part One
Midnight Hollow: Present Day
Two men stood in the shadows of Midnight Hollow’s alleyways. One eyed each direction with a desperate stare. His glowing blue eyes held secrets and pain. His companion stood against the wall, having just discovered his phone could store lists as well as be a useful search tool.
“There’s nothing showing at the morgue.” The man on his phone concluded levelly. “That’s good news, surely.”   

The man with glowing blue eyes was not phased. “She has to be here somewhere. I need to know she’s safe. I can’t just assume it.”
The one on his phone put the phone away and patted the man with blue eyes on the shoulder. “I’m sure she’s fine, Jupiter.”
Jupiter shook his head, “she has to be. I’ll tear apart that crazy man she calls a grandfather if she isn’t.” Well, try to, his mind added silently. His voice was strained and he breathed out harshly. He had to admit that Jack was probably right - she was probably safe. Probably wasn’t good enough though. What’s wrong with him? “What am I doing, dad? This is foolish. I’m better off not knowing where she is. She’s safer that way. Safer from… me.” He was only going to put her in more danger by being here.
Jack sighed softly. “You are not dangerous, Jupiter. We just need to get your diet in check.”
Jupiter scowled. “I refuse.”
“You’re not going to starve yourself. I won’t let you.” Jack retorted.
“If I feed from humans I could either kill them or make them into thralls. I’ll either be taking their lives or making them slaves against their will. If I took from Eveline…” His voice fell apart towards the end. He couldn’t even imagine. “I cannot.” He shook his head.

Jack frowned, “there are blood bags we can get. You won’t need to take directly from someone.”
Jupiter shook his head, not moved. “So I can use blood bags that would otherwise save someone’s life? That’s not much better, dad.”
“You can’t just starve yourself, Jupiter!” Jack repeated, scolding him. “We need to think of our next steps. It may not be ideal, but we have to try.” Jack had been taking a much firmer hand with him since Bridgeport. He would not lose his son again, not if he could help it.
“I have our next steps. I find Eveline alive. I make sure she’s completely safe. I scope out every threat against her and destroy them. That’s the steps, in order.” He paused, his face cold. “I can’t afford to take things more than a day at a time now, dad. Not without her.”
Jack took in a breath, looking for the best way to word his thoughts.“There’s a chance we might not find her alive, a small one, but we need to prepare-”
“If I don’t find her alive then it won’t matter when the last time I fed was, because I will unleash a monster and destroy this entire town until I join her.” He spoke quickly and shut down the conversation. He let out a breath and shook his head, his voice dropped to a whisper. “You told me there’s a God of Fate, didn’t you?”
“Goddess.” Jack corrected, his brow furrowed. “She’s Majnun’s granddaughter. Fate is her name, as well, so it makes it easy to remember. Why do you ask?”

“Because she’s probably laughing at me right now.” Jupiter’s vampire eyes continued scanning the city center for any familiarity. “I never stood a chance, dad. It’s like the minute I…” He swallowed hard. “... turned… I was set on this path with Eveline. Always love her, always hurt her. I’m so dangerous to be around her, but being away from her aches more than the burn I felt so many years ago on the side of the road.”
Jack listened quietly to his son, his eyes glanced up and suddenly they went wide. “Jupiter-”
“What did I do to deserve this? If I could have it my way-”
Jack shook him. “Jupiter!” Jupiter looked at him with a slight scowl until he saw where Jack was pointing. It was her. She exited the Civic Center and seemed to stand for a moment, idle. Jupiter’s mouth was agape as he looked at her. It made the pain he felt fresh inside of him, raw and aching.

For once, Jupiter didn’t curse his vampire eyes. He could see her clearly from the distance he stood. She changed her hair. It no longer had feathers in it. She was slightly older. There was something different about her - she was more magical than he remembered, if that were even possible. It was like she stirred the presence of magic in the air as she walked. She was perfect. Oh, she was perfect and it killed him.
She stretched slightly before her face etched in slight confusion. Her head tilted in his direction and he backed up against the wall. She shouldn’t be able to see this far. He reached into his bag and his finger touched a vial Liam had given him hesitantly. Could he really run from her though? He should. That doesn’t mean he could though.
“Eveline! Yoohoo!” It was a woman’s voice that pulled her beautiful gaze away from them and Jupiter felt both relieved and disappointed. The woman ran over and nearly toppled Eveline over in a hug. The girl was expressive, that was obvious.

It wasn’t but a minute before a blond man approached them both. Jupiter tensed inside. The way he tipped his head, the awkward way he leaned closer to Eveline. Rage filled Jupiter. Touch her, he dared him, do it and see what happens. Eveline awkwardly shifted and brushed her hair out of her face and behind her ear. Jupiter felt like he was dying inside. What was he doing? He wanted her to move on. Now he’s angry that she has?
“Who is he?” He said outloud, bitterness filling his voice.
Jack sensed it too. “I can find out.” He pulled out his phone and snapped a picture. “Let me look into-”
“Alright, the jig is up. Freeze.” It was a sweet-sounding voice, it gave Jupiter chills.
Worse off, he couldn’t move. Why couldn’t he move? “Jack?!” He asked in panic. He couldn’t turn his head to look at him. He couldn’t move an inch from where he stood. What’s going on? His body wasn’t listening to him! He took in deep breaths and tried to fight what was holding him, but he couldn’t. “Jack!” His voice was further panicked.
“Siren…” Jack whispered.
“What?” Jupiter was lost.

“Sorry to interrupt, boys.” She laughed sweetly. “Just kidding, I’m not.” He could hear the smirk in her voice. Her voice was suddenly by Jupiter’s ear. “That was some speech you gave a minute ago broody boy. I was touched. Now, just hold tight, I need to see to sweet Jack first.”
She walked away, her voice was slightly sadder and she sighed. “Sorry to drag you into this Jack. I just don’t think you would’ve let me take him without a fight. I hope you’ll forgive me for this.” There was a solid sound of something hitting metal, and Jack collapsing to the ground.
“Jack?! JACK!”

“Your turn, loverboy.”
With a cracking sound and pain, Jupiter’s vision went black.

“You really nailed him hard, didn’t you Ezzie?”
A man’s voice was suddenly by Jupiter’s head. He groaned. His head throbbed painfully. He wanted to open his eyes, but his eyelids were so heavy.
“Had to be sure he was really out. Besides, you’re a doctor. He’ll be fine.” It was the woman from earlier. Jupiter felt anger rushing into him. What did she do to Jack? He had to know. He had to fight through this sleep he felt.
“Doesn’t ‘brain damage’ mean anything to you?” The man’s voice spoke again. Something was touching Jupiter now, pulling at his face, touching the back of his head. Pain ran through him and his body jumped in reaction. He willed his body to move, but it would not. Nothing was responding.
“Given the way he’s acting? I doubt he has much of a brain to worry about.” She sighed back at him. “I expected better from a vampire.” She paused. “I expected better from Jack’s son. Perhaps the two cancel each other out?”
Another woman’s laughter came into focus. “You’re terrible, Esmerelda. Did you seriously use a frying pan? I was only joking about that!”
The sweet laughter of their kidnapper filled the room. There was something utterly beautiful about her voice. Terrifyingly beautiful. It was almost musical. “What can I say? Frying pan is my new weapon of choice. This baby can do everything!”
The man spoke then - making a subtle jab at the woman with the beautiful voice, “oh really? I have a test to that - hit Quinn with it and see if it fixes your problems.”
The woman grew quiet. “Back off, mama’s boy.”
The man next to Jupiter hissed. “Alright, alright. Line crossed. Point taken.”
The second woman in the room laughed a dark laugh. “Shots fired. Two dead.” She joked. “But seriously, enough you two.”
“She started it.” The man grumbled.
“It doesn’t matter who started it, Tragic, I’m finishing it.”

Jupiter slowly opened his eyes to a strange man’s face. In the background there was a woman sitting at a table and another leaning against the wall, holding a frying pan in her hand.
“Good morning, sunshine!” The woman with the frying pan spoke sweetly. She laughed then and the woman sitting down shot her a look before laughing as well.
“You ok there buddy?” The man gave him a concerned look. He flashed a light in front of his eyes. “Geez, Ez, next time just use some of the medication I’ve got to knock them out. You could’ve killed them.”
The woman with the frying pan rolled her eyes and tossed the frying pan across the room onto a chair before crossing her arms and saying nothing in response.
“Jack…?” Jupiter could barely get his lips to form the word. His mouth felt so dry.
“He’s in another room. He’s fine.” The woman leaning against the wall said.
“Is he still under the influence of your voice?” The man above him asked as he worked. Something about the man reminded him of Jack, but he couldn’t put his finger on it. Perhaps it was his no-nonsense attitude.
“Yes indeed!” The woman smirked. “He’s not going anywhere.”
The man nodded before sitting back. “Looks like he’s alright. Amazingly. Thank goodness for those vampire genes, buddy.” The man patted him on the back lightly. Jupiter gave him a glare. There’s nothing to be thankful about. Being a vampire was the worst thing that ever happened to him. His life was a mess, and the woman he loved more than anything in the world could be in trouble right this very minute and he was stuck with his face smashed into the floor while being unable to move his body even slightly.

“‘I’m so dangerous to be around her.’” The woman who kidnapped them had red-blond hair and a sweet voice that mocked him. She laughed. “The adventures of Broody Boy and Perceptive Pops: Stalking a Blind Heiress. What a fantastic name for a book.”
Jupiter hissed at her, baring his teeth. It was all he could do. He was slowly getting his voice back, and though his body was still refusing to cooperate with him.
“Touchy, touchy.” She shook her head. “I’m not your enemy boy.”
“You knocked me out! Where am I?! Where’s Jack?! Where’s Eveline? Let me go this instant!” Jupiter’s voice came back to him suddenly. He needed to get out of here - wherever ‘here’ was.
The woman sucked in her cheek. “Leave us.” She said coldly.
The man who had been tending to him glared at her. The woman sitting down stood up and looked at the man across the way. “Come on, love. Esmerelda needs to work now. Let her do her job.” She called to him warmly. He didn’t move immediately and she frowned at him. “Tragic…” She warned.
He stood then and sighed. “Yes, dear.” His gaze never left the woman with the beautiful voice - Esmerelda - Jupiter slowly pieced together the powerful people in the room.
“Thanks, Aggie.” Esmerelda said sweetly, and the woman… Aggie? Agnes? The Agnes Reaper? She was a Guardian though. She had already taken her position - she should be in Sunset Valley, unless that was where he was. Jupiter’s head continued pounding, preventing any real deep thoughts from sticking around too long. Agnes turned and waved, rolling her eyes but smiling as she did so.

“Hit him again for me, for Mary.” She called and she and Tragic disappeared into another room.
Jupiter tried to get a look at his surroundings, but his sight was limited, and he could not move his head.
Esmerelda stared at him coldly before sighing and walking over to him. She yanked him up and looked him in the eyes. “You’ve got some nerve stalking Eveline.”
“I’m not stalking her.” Jupiter glared at her; he knew he was partially lying. Yes, he supposed they were stalking her, but he never had any intention of hurting her. He fully planned to ensure her safety. He would ensure her safety for as long as she lived. If Fate was going to torture him, he might as well do something useful with it. Eveline was the only brightness in the world. She made the sun look dim.
Esmerelda laughed, her sweet laughter echoed off the walls of the airy room they were in. “Right, and I’m secretly three dwarves in disguise as a woman.” She shook her head and sat down across from him. “Let’s take a look in your bag you’ve got here… Anti-Magic potions, made fresh by the world’s greatest alchemist and all-around, big-headed Reaper: Liam. Tell me, what do you use those for? Oh, that’s right, so that Eveline can’t see your footprint and you can sneak around her and… take pictures of her? Or perhaps sniff around her job without her noticing? Oh! Or perhaps use it to gather information on her for personal use? Hang on now, there’s a word for all of these things. What is that? Stalking? Oh, that’s right. It’s stalking. You’re STALKING her.” She gave him a flat stare.

Jupiter’s eyes looked away from her, not dignifying her with an answer.
“So what are you doing following Eveline? What are you really doing?”
He refused to answer.
“You can come right out and tell me, or I can force it out of you: your choice.” She shrugged.
“You can’t make me do anything.” His voice was dark.
She looked him dead in the eyes. “Tell me everything. Now.” Her voice commanded.
Jupiter felt the words come rushing out before he could stop them. “I saw the serial killer on the news. I thought Eveline might be in trouble or dead. I needed to know she was safe. I felt the need to make sure she remained safe.” He struggled to stop himself from speaking, but he began spilling his deep thoughts to the frighteningly pretty woman. “When I saw her it made me realize that no matter what I do I’ll always be dragged back to her. I just want to be with her. I just want to see her smile. I can keep her safe. I have to keep her safe. She’s everything to me, and I feel gutted and empty without her.”

“Enough.” Esmerelda commanded, looking away with an unamused expression on her face.
“I hate you!” He immediately retorted the second he got his voice back.
She cringed visibly and then her face hardened - he had hit a nerve. “Get over yourself.” She spat. With a graceful movement she stood suddenly and walked to the edge of the room and back, pacing with anger.
Jupiter wished he could get into her head. He could get more answers that way. “Where’s Jack?” He breathed. “Where’s my dad?” 
She stopped pacing and glared at him. “We told you already, he’s in another room, resting.”
He decided to try another question. “Where am I?”
“Windwaker Island.” Esmerelda responded levelly. “Olivia’s home. Home of the Guardians: aka the Reaper family.”
His eyes went wider. “Here? This is Windwaker Island?” Jack had told him stories about this place. He almost wished he could have his movement back so he could at least look around.
Esmerelda pursed her lips before she stalked over to him and yanked him standing. She turned him roughly around and he saw the edge of the mountainous island - the cliffs, the gulls… everything. It was exactly as Jack had told him.

“Wow…” He whispered. “Wait… so you work for Olivia then?” He asked suddenly. Esmerelda turned him back around and shoved him back into the chair. His body obeyed her, but not him. He frowned. “Why can’t I control my body?!”
“Which question do you want answered?” She sighed with exasperation.
He wanted to scowl, but his face wouldn’t respond. Liam would’ve died without his ability to scowl, Jupiter thought idly. Instead, he just settled for narrowing his eyes at her. “I’ll take, ‘why can’t I move my body for 500, miss?’” He mocked the TV show Jack used to watch every night.
“I’m a Siren, broody boy. Do you know what that means?” She raised her eyebrows at him.
Jupiter’s head was still throbbing, making recalling things difficult. He was sure he had a lesson on those at one point too. He could vaguely hear Jack’s voice in his head. “You’re a mermaid?”
A harsh laugh came from her, but it still didn’t detract from the scary beauty she had. There was something very magical about her appearance, and Jupiter squinted his eyes at her before he realized she was wearing a disguise - a magical disguise. “I never realized how poorly underread the world was on Sirens. Isn’t it dangerous for you all to not be aware of the powers we hold?” She shook her head and shrugged. “I suppose knowledge wouldn’t help combat our voices much.” She let out a long breath. “Sirens are a different kind of magical source. We draw on different energies - ones given to use from the sea, and usually, the Goddess of the Sea - Calypso.” She grimaced at the name.
She looked at him for a moment and continued. “While magical sources, like your Eveline, can draw on the raw energy in the air to cast spells and incantations, Sirens rely on using their voice to bend the world to their whims.” She pursed her lips. “Some very powerful Sirens can command water to do their bidding, at least, slightly. It drains them a lot to do things other than what they were meant to, and they run the risk of being cursed when using their magic incorrectly.”

“So you speak… and people do as you say? That’s it?” His voice was flat. “That seems like it would have limited uses.”
She sneered at him before her face fell calm and a wicked smile pulled on her lips. “Stand up.” She commanded.
His body jerked into action and yanked himself to his feet. “Hey!” 
“Hop on one foot.”
He started jumping, one foot tucked upwards. “Stop that!” He called.
She looked at him arrogantly. “Sing ‘London Bridge is Falling Down.’” She commanded.
Jupiter complied, still hopping up and down on one foot. He tried screaming at her in between each line of the song. “MAKE.” His voice carried on. ”London bridge is falling down, falling down, falling down.” He breathed in. “IT.” His own voice stopped complying to his mind’s orders and kept singing. ”London bridge is falling down, my fair lady.” He was gritting his teeth. “STOP!”
“Enough.” Her voice was flat.
His body stopped jumping and his voice stopped singing. He was left breathing heavily from the exertion of it all.
“So, Broody Boy, how ‘limited’ am I?” She eyed her fingernails innocently.
His voice came out weakly, “I apologize. I didn’t mean any offense by it. I should’ve worded my reaction better.”
Esmerelda nodded, “Apology accepted.” Her face softened slightly. “I should answer your question. No, that’s not all we can do. We can also shape-shift.”
“As you’re doing right now.” Jupiter filled in.

Her eyes went wide and then narrowed in confusion. “Good eyes.” She responded lightly. Her shape morphed to that of a young woman with piercing blue eyes. Jupiter felt the wind get knocked out of him as he looked at her. He had attributed the frightening beauty she had to the magic she concealed herself with, but even without it her appearance gave him chills. She noticed the reaction. “Do I frighten you?”

“I would be lying if I said no.” Jupiter said awkwardly, he tried to lighten the mood. “I think I’m worried you’ll command me to beat myself up.”
A smile tugged on her lips and she laughed a breathy laugh. “If I let you go will you try to attack me?” She eyed him suspiciously.
Jupiter let out a breath. He would give anything just to have control over his body back. “No.” He paused. “Pretty sure you would shut me down really quick.”
“I will.” Her voice held a warning, but she softened. “I release you.”
Jupiter collapsed back in the chair behind him, panting and holding his chest.
She laughed, “now that’s a little dramatic.”
Jupiter shook his head, “you try getting hit over the head with a frying pan and then being forced against your will to sing children’s songs while hopping on one foot.” He closed his eyes and let out a breath. “It’s not as easy as it looks.”
She giggled. “I’ll take your word for it.”
He sat forward in the chair. “So, who are you, exactly?” He figured out her name, but he needed more. He needed to know why he was here, and not tearing the face off of the blond man who stood too close to Eveline.

Esmerelda smiled a forced smile. “I have many names and many faces, depending on the job I need to do.” She responded flatly. “But… you can call me Esmerelda, I suppose.”
Jupiter was going to ask what she was planning to do with he and Jack when there was a strange electric sound that filled the air. Suddenly someone else entered the home. Jupiter turned his head and saw a familiar face. “Watcher?” He whispered in awe. The last time he saw her she saved his and Eveline’s lives. She seemed far more riled up now than she was then.
She was clenching her fists and her face looked downright angry as she stared off into the house. She let out a loud half-scream, half-groan. “I’M GOING TO KILL THAT STUPID MADMAN!” She screamed.
Esmerelda looked at her sympathetically. “What’d he do now?”
Who were they talking about? Jupiter sat quietly. Was this related to him? He wasn’t a madman but-.
Majnun. It all clicked into place for him.

Olivia paced back and forth across the way. “Oh! I’m going to wring his stupid, little neck the next time I see him! That stupid… arrogant… selfish… UGH!” She groaned loudly.
Esmerelda stood up and held her hands out in front of her. “Olivia. Calm down. What happened?”
“Fate is up to something that’s going to drag us all down… Eveline is out running around shouting ‘let’s use me as bait to catch a serial killer!’ Alec is taking his marriage and shoving it into the toilet in the name of his father, and Majnun is NOWHERE to be found! That arrogant, selfish son of a-!” She groaned.
Jupiter felt panic well up in him. “Eveline? What is she-”
Olivia turned her fury onto him, then. “AND YOU...! DON’T YOU EVEN TALK TO ME RIGHT NOW. I’M NOT EVEN CAPABLE OF DEALING WITH YOU.”
Her fury shut him up immediately and he sat back in the chair.

She raked her fingernails up and down her arms. “You all are trying to KILL me. I swear! Noten runs off and gets himself shot! Mary decides to marry into the line of the ONE man I HATE more than ANYTHING, thusly derailing EVERYTHING we’ve ever worked for… and now her daughter has a death wish… AGAIN - and it all goes back to Majnun! That… that…”
“Breathe, Olivia. Breathe.” Esmerelda scooted down on the couch and motioned for her to do the same.
Olivia sat down heavily, placing her head into her hands. “He had to go and start up that nightmare that was Isla Paradiso. He had to send his son to run DIRECT interference with Mary - oh Mary was so close to just raising Thomas from the dead… I would’ve dealt with the paperwork myself! I’ll be darned if Thanatos stopped me!” She rubbed her temples. “Now… after putting so much work into making sure HIS death wish gets fulfilled, he’s now run off to leave my work in shambles! I should’ve just insisted he kill me at my trial, seeing as he’s so intent on giving me a HEART ATTACK!”
Esmerelda sat down next to her and rubbed her shoulders lightly. “This is still salvageable, Olivia. Don’t let that clown get under your skin. We’ve made it this far.”

Olivia sighed and then looked up at Esmerelda with a pleading face. “Ezzie…?” She whispered the name sweetly.
Esmerelda made a face at her, “yes, Livvie?” She mimicked her tone.
Olivia sighed and sat up. “I need you to run damage control, please? See if you can get into Irena’s library. She and I are on good terms, and as the Goddess of Knowledge, she has to have something to go off of. Dig up whatever you can find on the Legend family. They’re looking into attacking Eveline, and I need to know more.” She sighed. “I’ll need everything I can get.”
Esmerelda looked at her with huge eyes. “Wait, what?! Dragon Valley’s royal family? Why would they attack Eveline?”
Olivia scowled. “Ask the clown.” She said through gritted teeth. “Fate has her hands tied up in this one, and therefore Majnun does too.”
“Majnun wouldn’t attack Eveline though, Olivia. That doesn’t make any sense! That man is twisted in a lot of ways, but Eveline is not one of them.” Esmerelda stood then and walked over to the archways leading out to the open air.
“He’s not attacking her. She’s going to be attacked though, and Majnun won’t do anything about it.” Olivia crossed her arms.
“What makes you say that?” Esmerelda turned and leaned against the archway, giving Olivia a strange stare.

“Because he knows I’m looking into it.” She scowled. “That man is so annoying!” She groaned. “I don’t trust him to get himself together enough to help Eveline.” She took a breath in. “He knows I don’t trust him enough to help Eveline, and seeing as I know that he knows that I don’t trust him enough to help Eveline… he knows that I’ll do something about it to keep her safe. Ergo, he doesn’t need to do anything, because I’m already doing it.” She huffed.
Jupiter wasn’t sure whether to laugh or be confused. He settled on a bit of both. “What?”
“Not talking to you.” Olivia snapped. She rested her head back in the chair. “That blasted God of Madness. He should’ve let me die.”
Esmerelda grinned, “he’s rubbing off on you, you know. And if you didn’t want this to happen you shouldn’t have interfered with that whole Malice-and-Adessa-war-thing.” Esmerelda shrugged. “Whatever the heck that was…” She sighed. “For what it’s worth though, I like Agnes, and I’m glad you chose her - even if it did get us tied to the God of Crazies.”
Olivia rolled her eyes, “it made no difference to you. You were dallying around with his priest.”
Esmerelda’s face became hard again. “That was long over and you know it.” She said coldly.
Olivia softened. “I know… I’m sorry. I overstepped myself.” She said softly. “Forgive me?”
Esmerelda’s face softened and she looked out at the ocean. “I wonder what he’s doing now?” Her beautiful voice seemed more reserved.
“Majnun says he’s undercover. He won’t tell me anything else though.” Olivia looked at her softly, but Esmerelda did not turn around. “I had hoped I could give you more, but…”

“He probably threw him waist-deep into Malice territory.” She shook her head and frowned. “Whatever. The curse is broken. That’s all that matters. He’s free again, and that’s all he’s ever cared about.” Her voice was bitter and filled with sadness.
Olivia gave her a look of slight pity before sucking her lips in and sighing once again. “I’m sorry, Ezzie.”
Esmerelda shrugged and pursed her lips. “It is what it is.” She looked around the room. “So what are we going to do about this mess?” She pointed to Jupiter then, but a slightly warm smile pulled on her lips.
Jupiter looked back and forth between them, unsure of if he should speak now or what.
Olivia turned her gaze onto him and her face soured. “Right.” She stood up and walked over to him and in a moment she was in his face. “Do you want to get back together with Eveline?”
Jupiter’s face became unreadable. “I just want to know that she’s safe and happy.”
“That’s not what I asked. I asked if you want to get back together with her. Do you?” She repeated.
“I can’t-”

“Not. What. I. Asked!” Olivia scowled. “Disregard all else: do you want to get back together with Eveline? Do you want to get married to her? Do you want her to have your children? Do you want to be by her side for life? Do you love her?”
Jupiter looked at her with big eyes. “Of course! Yes! Yes to all of it! I’ve ALWAYS wanted those things, but I can’t have them! I’m too much of a threat to her, surely you know that?!”
“I didn’t ask if you COULD, I asked if you WANTED to.”
“More than I’ve ever wanted anything in my life - even more than wanting to be human.” He whispered.
Olivia scowled and groaned again. “Why couldn’t you just be a terrible person?” She muttered and shook her head. “Fine. Fine. Wish granted, sort of.” She shook her head.
“What are you talking about?” Jupiter narrowed his eyes at her. He looked between her and Esmerelda before settling back on Olivia.
Olivia rolled her eyes and sat down across from him. “I owe you a favor for saving Eveline’s life at her Prom, so I’m going to cut you a deal.”

“What deal?” Jupiter looked at her skeptically. “What could you even offer me? I can’t be with her like this.” He gestured to himself. “And as far as I know, I’m a vampire until I die… you can’t just… make me not a vampire, can you?”
Esmerelda made a face and chuckled and Olivia was only growing more irritated. “I’ve got strings I can pull. A lot of them.” She looked him up and down and sighed. “A whole lot of them.” She shook her head. “I’m going to stick my neck out for you and I need you to return the favor for me. Got it?” Esmerelda burst out laughing at the phrasing, and Olivia rolled her eyes lightly.
“What do you mean?” Jupiter wasn’t sure he even understood what was going on.
“We’re going on a trip.” Olivia reached over and grabbed his wrist before the island suddenly vanished beneath him. He was in way over his head.

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline LivvieLove

• Queen of Mush
  • Watcher
Re: Reaper's Genetic Legacy Experiment: Rise of a Vampire Lord: Part Two
« Reply #857 on: May 18, 2016, 12:38:28 AM »
Rise of a Vampire Lord: Part Two
He couldn’t even have time to wrap his head around anything. The world was darker, damper - it felt like Midnight Hollow all over again, yet there was nothing in sight except for an odd castle-looking building. Jupiter held his head as he struggled to gather himself. “Where are we?”
Olivia’s face was flat. “Welcome to the Madhouse: home of our resident God of Magic and Madness.”
Jupiter looked at the house in a new light and felt his body go a little numb. “What are we doing here?”

Olivia didn’t answer him, instead she marched up to the front doors and threw them open. “MAJNUN!” She yelled. “WHERE ARE YOU?”
Suddenly he was there, leaning against the wall. “There’s no need to yell.” He grumbled. “Rasinbeth. Macabre. Selling, ripping…” His eyes fell on Jupiter and he scowled. “What do you want, you pesky little spirit?”
Olivia grabbed Jupiter by the arm and forced him forward. Her fingers threaded into his hair, hitting the spot where Esmerelda nailed him previously and causing him to wince. She gripped that part and forced him to his knees. “Enough, Majnun. I’m tired of your games. You already know why I’m here. Stop toying with me. One of your granddaughter’s could be trying to kill the other. Though she need not try, seeing as Eveline is already doing a FANTASTIC job of that herself. Oh, and can we talk about your son for moment? He seems to have up and joined his brothers. He’s lost his freaking mind, Majnun. He’s barking orders like a lunatic, locking himself in his study, oh and destroying his marriage all in your honor! You must be so proud.”
Majnun’s brow furrowed. “What are you talking about?” His voice was gruff.

Olivia gave him an intense glare. “Oh, so you didn’t know that your darling son, Alec, is off on a quest to figure out who murdered your wife? No, just kidding, he’s not looking for who murdered your wife, he’s looking to pin it on you. He’s so lost in his hatred that he’s destroyed his marriage. Mary is two steps away from packing her bags and leaving - if she hasn’t already. Congratulations - he takes after you!”
“ENOUGH!” Majnun’s fist hit the wall. He turned and motioned for the two of them to follow him into the sitting room. He sat down heavily on the couch, putting his head in his hands.
Jupiter was struggling to keep up as Olivia dragged him behind her.
Majnun was muttering under his breath by the time they stood in the doorway to the sitting room. “What has my idiot son done to Mary?” He asked coldly.
Olivia shook her head, “oh no, Majnun. No. I’m not going to sit here and have you pretend you’re actually going to listen to my spiel.”

He smirked at her.
She clenched her fists. “You OWE me, Majnun. I nearly got myself killed keeping Eveline safe. Tell me that means nothing to you, I dare you.”
“She means as much to you as she does to me.” He said flatly.
Olivia frowned, “she does, but you know that your hands were tied where mine weren’t. So I’m asking you to repay your favor to me.” She paused and shifted her tactics. “Surely someone who enjoys collecting favors would hate to have a debt held over his head for an eternity?”
Majnun chuckled. “I’ve always liked you, you know?” He spun his wrist in the air and a little chest opened up in front of him. He dug inside of it and pulled out a little bag. After examining it he tossed it at Olivia. “Now get out.” He pointed for the doorway.
Olivia gave him a flat look, she stood very firmly and opened the pouch, staring into it’s contents. Her eyes went back onto Majnun wearily. “Are you trying to get me killed?”
“Maybe.” He laughed. “It would certainly end a lot of trouble for me.” His eyes turned cold as he stared at Jupiter. “It will save me having to kill him later.”
Jupiter swallowed hard, but Olivia rolled her eyes.

“Malice won’t let me walk two steps into his realm, how do you expect me to negotiate with him?” Olivia sighed.
Majnun put his hands behind his head. “Malice will not harm you.” He sighed. “You’re my ward, and while he may not wear the scars anymore, he will surely remember the pain he felt when I showed him exactly what happens when he messes with what is mine.”
“What about him.” Olivia motioned to Jupiter, who was just hoping that this would all be over soon.
“What about him?” Majnun said flatly. “He’s one of them. He’ll be fine.”
“He’s not though. He’s mine, and as far as I know, Malice would love to take something that was mine.” Olivia said thoughtfully.
Jupiter frowned. He couldn’t save Eveline if he was dead. He couldn’t keep her safe that way.
Majnun shook his head. “If he dies, I would have an upset swallow.” He muttered. “Even if I don’t agree with my swallow…” He didn’t seem to be talking to them anymore. His head swayed from side to side as he weighed the options. Finally his gaze settled on Jupiter. His face held a mixture of disgust and impatience. He pointed to the floor. “Come.” He commanded.
It wasn’t a Siren’s command, but Jupiter moved as if it was one. He stood hesitantly in front of Majnun, unable to meet his eyes.

“Why so shy? You were brave once before.” Majnun taunted.
Jupiter kept his eyes averted. “I had nothing to lose then.”
“And now… you do?” Majnun asked the question carefully.
Jupiter nodded. “I need to live long enough to make sure Eveline is safe.”
“So I see.” Majnun said flatly, his face twisted into something strange. “Sparsly. Ravaging. Quitting. Timebomb! Rush into the-” He laughed loudly and Jupiter remained unfazed.
Majnun stared at him curiously then. “You’re not afraid of me, you just don’t want to die. Smart boy.” He shrugged. “Swear fealty to me.”
Jupiter looked at him then. “What?”
“Give me thy honor! Bend on your knee! Offer your services! Whichever you prefer to call it, young blood. Give your loyalty to me and you will not die.” Majnun tipped his head.
Jupiter looked between Majnun and Olivia, not saying anything. His mind was swimming. His loyalty was to Jack. Jack’s loyalty was to the Reapers. The Reapers were Olivia’s. Could he honestly put himself in Majnun’s services? Jupiter frowned. “I cannot.”
Majnun grinned. “Oh?”
He shook his head.

Majnun sucked in a long breath. “You have to make this so difficult, don’t you?” He let the breath out and stood suddenly, towering over Jupiter. His face was dark. He pressed his palm into Jupiter and Jupiter felt magic rush through him, making him dizzy. Majnun’s face grew darker even still. “Hurt my Eveline again, boy, and I swear to you that your transition into a monster will feel like a walk in the park.” His voice was a low whisper.
He was suddenly across the room and looking away. “Don’t let the door hit you on your way out.”

Jupiter and Olivia sat in the in-between, waiting for permission to enter Malice’s realm. Jupiter shifted with unease.

“Can you explain to me what’s going on, please?” He asked hesitantly.
Olivia, who’s face was unreadable up until that point, looked at him and sighed softly. “I’m sorry, Jupiter. I know this probably seems very confusing to you right now.”
He made a face. “Just a bit.”
Olivia frowned, “Majnun and I have a bit of a history.”
“I picked up on that.” Jupiter nodded slowly.
She laughed slightly. “A long time ago, long before you were even born, I got caught up in the middle of the war between Calypso, the Goddess of the Sea, and Fate, the Goddess of Fate.” She paused. “You see, Fate and Calypso were always at odds over the Sirens. It’s a long story, and I don’t want to get into it, but the abridged version is Calypso’s followers are Sirens, but they’re not just any Sirens - they’re Cursed Sirens. Esmerelda is a Siren, as you’ve met her, so you know what Sirens can do. Well, a Cursed Siren is a more powerful version of that - with heavy drawbacks. Cursed Sirens are, in a way, slaves to Calypso. They cannot leave the ocean during the day, and they’re often used like thralls to carry out Calypso’s bidding.”
She paused and looked over at Jupiter. “I wasn’t there, and I care very little for the gods, but Fate and Calypso started fighting over Sirens. Fate created a massive monster - one that can hunt and kill Sirens - and only Sirens who have aligned themselves to Calypso - something about her magic in them attracts the beast. She began a purge of the Sirens, but it wasn’t just Sirens who were killed.” Olivia frowned. “So many innocent people got killed…” She looked at Jupiter thoughtfully. “You know, Esmerelda’s mother was one of those who got killed? Esmerelda was only 6. She had not yet given an oath to Calypso, so the Siren Hunter did not kill her.”
“Did you find her then?” Jupiter frowned. It reminded him so much of Jack, and the night that he turned.

Olivia shook her head, “no. A pack of rogue werewolves did. That is not my story to tell, save for the fact that Calypso had wanted Esmerelda. Esmerelda was born because Calypso ordered it. She did not wish to lose the girl she planned on making a priestess. She began destroying every town that she thought Esmerelda might be hiding in. She killed so many people for her - so many innocent people.”
Jupiter didn’t know what to say. “That’s horrible.”
Olivia shrugged, “it’s the way of things. This is the world of gods. It’s why I started this line.” They continued standing in the abyss. It was surprisingly calm.
“So how does that relate to you and Majnun?” Jupiter tried to not sound clueless. 
Olivia laughed. “Like everything he touches, our story is twisted and convoluted. I’ll try to be brief. I was so sick and tired of the gods killing innocent people. I was tired of them harming children, hurting women, tearing families apart… it’s just more than I could handle. Protection is all I know, but I cannot do it all by myself. So I started to work on a contract. I needed a human to start the contract with, and I… may have interfered with the gods by choosing Agnes.”
“Agnes Reaper?”
“She was Agnes Crumplebottom before I got to her. She was just an average woman… an average woman who was about to be dragged into a god’s world and tortured before they killed her.”
Jupiter frowned, “but why? What did she do to draw that attention?”
“She existed.” Olivia looked ahead. “That’s her crime. She fell in love with a man who was lying to her. Erik Darling - his real name was actually Sam Rice. He was a devout follower of Adessa - the Goddess of Betrayal. He was a con-man, a liar, a cheat. He used Agnes as a shield and then went deep into Malice’s territory and stole an artifact. Calypso dragged him underwater during his escape and took the artifact for herself, though, and that was that. Sam had just married Agnes and was on his ‘honeymoon’ when it happened.” Olivia shook her head. “Malice is the God of the Night, in case you were unaware. God of Vampires.” She nodded lightly.

Jupiter felt a chill run through him and he scowled. He already hated him.
“Malice fully intended to hunt down Agnes and torture her for information - information she wouldn’t have. She was just a newlywed. She had no idea the extent of the web of lies her new husband had spun for her. She would’ve been given a life of torture, pain, and then enslavement - assuming she lived through the torture - all because she fell in love with the wrong man.” Olivia clenched her fist. “So I did something about it. I took her in. I signed her to my contract. I protected her… and Malice took me to a Trial by Gods for it. I was likely going to die, but I was fine with that. Agnes was safe, and Esmerelda could carry out the plans we made. That is where Majnun comes in.”
Jupiter looked at her with admiration. “You were really going to die for that?”
Olivia nodded, “I would do it again and again if I had the choice. I will keep doing it. I have to see this world become a safer place. It’s the only thing I can do. It’s what I am, Jupiter. I’m a Spirit - I embody protection. I can be nothing else. I can feel nothing else. It’s just who I am, and how I was created.”
Jupiter looked at her curiously, “you seem human to me though… you seem so real. How could you be a spirit?”
Olivia smiled. “It’s just how I present myself. I figured this would seem less frightening to humans than something else. I could be a light, if you prefer, or perhaps a cat?” She gave him a soft smile.
He shook his head, “I can’t believe you were Moon all that time.”
Olivia shrugged. “Someone has to make sure Majnun doesn’t destroy everything.”
“So Majnun stepped in at your trial?”

Olivia nodded. “Not at first, but yes, he did. He arrived several years late into the process - as Trial by Gods are a disgustingly long process with an insane amount of bickering and a whole lot of getting-nothing-accomplished - and he caused a stir, as he always does. He wanted to see how far I would go to save someone’s life. He made me watch him burn someone alive. He’s a real piece of work, that man is. At the end of it all I told him to just kill me and be done with it, because I refused to play his games any longer. I refused to let him use ME to hurt people. Well, he decided he liked me, and he made me his ward.”
“There’s that term again… what does that mean when looking at the Gods?”
“A lot of things.” Olivia stated. “In my case, though, it meant Malice could not touch me. You know how when you do something illegal and get caught, the police arrest you and then you can be let out on bail? It works kind of like that, except instead of being out until your ‘trial’ on bail, you’re stuck working off your debt to the god who took you on with no expectation to go back into trial. You basically become the god’s problem. If you do something stupid, or screw up again, the god will be punished as well as you, so taking on a ward is not very common.”
Jupiter pieced together the information and sat on it. “So Majnun saved your life then?”
“Sometimes I wish he hadn’t.” Her voice was exasperated. There was a sound of a bell ringing and Olivia looked at him cautiously. “Stay on your guard. Malice is permitting us entry.”
“Are you sure this is a good idea?” Jupiter asked nervously. He greatly doubted the ability for Malice to have forgiven Olivia in the time between Agnes and now.
Olivia looked at him and frowned, “I told you I was sticking my neck out for you, and after I torched some of his followers to save you and Eveline...” She trailed off with a whisper.
Jupiter felt his heart sink in his chest. Of course… this just couldn’t get any worse.
A door opened in front of them and Olivia gave Jupiter one last anxious glance, “whatever you do: do not react to him.” She whispered before walking through the doorway, Jupiter hesitated, but followed closely behind her.

He was terrifying.
Jupiter hadn’t needed to stare at him long to decide that. He looked at them with amusement and flashes of anger in his eyes. If Jupiter had thought of himself as a monster, he wasn’t even sure what to think of the god who sat before them, but he made Jupiter feel saintly in comparison.
“What do we have here?” His voice was chilling, and Jupiter struggled to not tremble. “It must be my lucky day! Majnun has delivered a nuisance to my door as a peace offering!” 

Olivia struggled to remain firm. She didn’t trust Majnun, but she certainly trusted him more than she trusted the monster in front of her. “I’m here to collect on a debt you owe Majnun, Malice.”
Malice looked her up and down and chuckled. “That’s ‘mi’lord’ to you… and isn’t it proper to bow to your superiors?” His voice was smug.
Olivia was boiling with rage, and Jupiter looked to her to see how she chose to react. Surely she wouldn’t bend. She was Majnun’s ward. Malice could not make her bend if she didn’t want to.
Olivia gritted her teeth, but bent and curtseyed. “My apologies, my lord.” She pushed the words out and stared at the floor.

Jupiter clenched his fists, and looked to Olivia, not moving. He wouldn’t move unless she told him to. Olivia tilted her head towards him and gave him a solemn look, slightly nodding.
Jupiter took in a breath and bent slightly, bowing forward, but only barely. He said nothing.
Malice laughed a horrifying laugh. The room seemed to tremble, and the servants seemed to shrink up inside themselves, trying to not meet their master’s eyes. “So you seem to think I owe Majnun a debt, eh?” He shook his head “How mistaken he is. He has no token of mine…” Malice grinned widely, his fangs showing.
Jupiter tensed, tempted to bare his own fangs in response.
Olivia pulled the pouch out and held it up. “Then what is this?” She paused, a smug smile pulling on her lips as she added: “my lord?”

Malice glared at a servant next to him, the girl cowered as his gaze fell on her. She scrambled to her feet and skittered across the room to Olivia. She looked to the floor, but cupped her hands so she might receive the pouch.
Jupiter looked at the girl in horror. She was just a human teenager, yet she had bite marks up and down her arms, shoulders and neck. The girl stood meekly before them, but when he closed his eyes he saw Eveline. Is this what they would’ve done to her? Ice pulsed through his veins, begging to be released. He wouldn’t be able to kill the man in front of them but he could at least try.
Olivia delicately placed the pouch in the girl’s hands, looking at her with sympathy and sadness. The girl said nothing but she scampered back and fell to her knees before Malice’s throne. She held her cupped hands high above her head, her eyes glued to the floor. She was trembling so much that Jupiter could see it from where he stood. Malice snatched the pouch from her hands and she scrambled behind the chair on her hands and knees.
He opened the pouch and dumped the contents into his palm - a single fang. Malice stared at it for a moment before rage distorted his features. Suddenly he was standing and he threw the throne he sat in against the wall in his rage as he screamed in frustration. The servants who stood there ducked and shielded their heads from the shattering of the chair over them.

Jupiter watched the scene with horror, and Olivia did as well. Jupiter could smell blood in the air and his gaze jerked to Olivia, her fingernails had cut into the skin on her palm. This was torturing her. She couldn’t do anything. She couldn’t protect them, and he couldn’t either.
Malice turned his gaze back onto her suddenly, and he regained his composure. “So… what does my dear… Majnun… wish me to do with such a heinous offering?” His voice was colder than ice, and the few candles in the hallway seemed to flicker and pulse with his leveled fury. He started to gracefully move towards them.
Olivia flexed her fingers slightly, blood droplets were starting to run down them from earlier. She made a motion to Jupiter, “Majnun wishes to raise this vampire’s status.”
Malice was suddenly in front of her, holding her neck and dangling her in the air. “What was that, you little pest? Need I remind you how to address me?!”
It was more than he could take. Jupiter lept forward and nailed a solid hit to Malice’s jaw. His other hand was caught then in Malice’s. Malice had turned his cold stare onto him curiously.
Malice tightened his grip on Jupiter’s hand and Jupiter could feel the bones breaking. He wanted to scream, but he bit his tongue. He would not give this man the satisfaction of hearing him scream.
“How cute.” Malice’s voice mocked. He dropped Olivia from where he had been holding her and she collapsed to the floor, holding her neck gently. Her neck was glowing from the magic Malice used to choke her. He turned onto Jupiter and rubbed his jaw slightly. “You’ve got some nerve, boy.” He snarled.

Olivia looked up at them in horror. She held out her hands. “He’s strong! He’s a good fighter.” Her voice was strained as she spoke before her voice had recovered. “He killed Lucien!”
That stopped Malice immediately. He turned his gaze to Olivia and back to Jupiter. “You? Kill Lucien?” He laughed. “You’re joking, right?”
“He did.” Olivia nodded. “He held off that entire clan on his own, and then he killed Lucien. All while never having fed from a human.” Olivia spoke quickly. “He was only a teenager.”
The anger in Malice’s features seemed to melt away into something else. “Fascinating.” He spoke slowly as he examined Jupiter with new eyes. “You’ve never fed?”
“Only once,” Jupiter’s voice was a whisper, and he cursed himself for not being stronger. He cleared his throat. “On blood bags after I nearly frenzied.”

Malice stared at him with a strange look of curiosity and disgust. “That’s not possible.” His voice was a whisper. “You have but a strain of a strain of a strain. You need to feed to live. You should not have been able to take someone down who was your elder - let alone Lucien…” He shook his head and glared at Olivia. “Prove it.”
Olivia stared hesitantly at Jupiter before sighing. “Look. I was there that night.” She offered herself up weakly.
“No.” Malice responded flatly, his gaze turned onto Jupiter smugly. “I’ll see through his eyes.” Malice suddenly placed both of his hands on Jupiter’s head, squeezing slightly. Jupiter felt raw, searing pain run through him as Malice tore through his head. Memories flashed in front of his eyes, and Malice dug into every private thought and corner. Jupiter groaned with the pain of it all, and struggled to shove him out.
It felt like an eternity before suddenly Jupiter was flying across the room until he crashed into the side wall and crumpled to the floor. He clutched his head with his good hand.
“So weak!” Malice’s voice was filled with bewildered disgust. “So feeble!” He shook his head as he stepped gracefully and slowly towards Jupiter’s form. “So… bent over the pretty granddaughter of Majnun.” He snickered, and the servants laughed lightly with him. He stood, towering over Jupiter and tipped his head while pursing his lips smugly. “She is kind of cute, I suppose.” He looked off thoughtfully. “I wonder if her cheeks would still turn pink like that after I’ve sucked all the blood from her pretty, little body.”

It was too much. Jupiter launched himself forward, but hit nothing. Malice had stepped fluidly out of the way and dusted his jacket off.
“Sorry, was that too touchy? I was just imagining how her blood would taste. You seemed to have missed a grand opportunity.” He licked his lips.
Jupiter wanted to lunge forward again, but Malice waved his hand in Jupiter’s direction. Pain shot through Jupiter and he fell to his knees screaming.
Malice walked calmly over to him, gripping him by the hair. “Yet you still try to challenge me?” He shook his head. “You’ve been around Majnun far too long if you think that is wise.” He sighed.
“I never said I thought it was wise.” Jupiter spat, rage in his eyes.
Olivia got into his head and whispered for him to please shut up, but Jupiter wasn’t listening.
Malice and he continued their staring contest for a very long moment. Everyone watched with baited breath - wondering how their master would kill the challenger.
Malice’s face shifted, and in an instant he yanked Jupiter up by his hair with one hand and with the other he grabbed Jupiter’s flailing arm. Malice sank his teeth into Jupiter’s arm and Jupiter screamed as his vision went white from the pain.

Suddenly he was eight again, and the writhing pain crawled into his body. He could see Mary’s face, and then Jack’s. He wanted to cry out - someone help him. It was too much, and his vision faded into black.

Jupiter jolted awake into a sitting position, his hand gripped his arm. The room he was in was white - they were no longer in Malice’s realm. His eyes fell to his arm and hands then. He was completely healed. Did he just dream all of that?

“Jupiter!” Jack’s voice came into the room. He was different though.
No. He was the same Jack he always knew, but Jupiter was seeing him differently. He saw the heat that made him. He saw the blood rushing beneath his skin. He saw the magic in the air around him. It made him dizzy. He put his hands to his head and closed his eyes. He could hear Esmerelda and Agnes talking downstairs. He could hear Olivia humming under her breath on the opposite side of the house - she was headed this way now. This was far too overwhelming.
“Jupiter! Thank goodness!” Jack’s voice held relief and still slight panic. “What’s wrong?”
Jupiter wasn’t looking at him, but he could sense his movement. He could sense Jack’s hand reaching over to him long before the hand touched his shoulder. He took a breath in - but it wasn’t necessary.

Did he even need to breathe anymore? He stopped breathing and waited for familiar signs to come - the feeling of his lungs gasping for air, the involuntary movement of his jaw muscles… anything.
Nothing came.
“Am I dead?” He whispered, looking at Jack with fear in his eyes. Thankfully Jack’s form no longer was just heat and pulses - but the Jack he recognized.
Olivia’s form entered the room. There was no heat coming from her, instead she was a bright, dizzying light. He shielded his eyes. “Yes, in a way, you are.” She stood in the doorway. “I’m sorry, it’ll take a minute for your eyes to adjust to me.”
Jupiter blinked a few times until the light faded away and he saw the form he knew. “What do you mean?” He swallowed.

Olivia walked over to him slowly, “you’re a Vampire Lord - you have the strongest strain of the virus possible - one given directly by Malice.” She spoke slowly. “I could not make you human again, and I’m sorry, but this is the closest I could get.”
Jupiter wanted to run a hand through his hair, but his hand moved too quickly. It almost frightened him. “How is this closer?” He didn’t mean for it to sound cold, but it did.
Olivia nodded. “You will not need to feed. Or sleep. Or breathe, for that matter.” She punctuated each one. “You can feed if you’d like to enhance your power further, but it won’t really be necessary, because as things stand - you are equal in strength to Eveline.”
Jupiter let that sink in for a moment as he looked at his hands. “I don’t feel that powerful though…”
Jack chuckled lightly, “you look powerful.”
Jupiter’s eyes went wide and he jumped out of bed and went over to the mirror. His movements still felt foreign to him as he moved even faster than before. He jumped back when he saw himself. “What are these?!” He pointed to his face.

Olivia approached him gently. “Those are markings of a Vampire Lord.”
Jupiter looked at her with big eyes. “Will they go away?!”
She smiled weakly. “I could make them go away, if you’d like… but not at the moment. You need to have some time to adjust first before I go messing with cosmetic things.”
Jupiter looked at her suddenly. “What happened back there? With Malice? I blacked out. I can’t remember anything after he bit me.”
Olivia shrugged. “You didn’t miss much, he just sent us flying out of his realm at top speed. I then took you back here to recover from the transition.”
Jupiter’s head was swimming. “Did he hurt you?” He asked quietly.
She sucked in her lips and looked away, not answering.
“I’m sorry.” His voice was soft, “you didn’t have to do this for me…”
Olivia looked back at him and smiled. “I wanted to do this, Jupiter.” She let out a small breath. “I am not a spirit of love, or friendship, or happiness. I am protection.” She shook her head, “and when I took on this project I never expected that I would ever get a taste of those things. It just isn’t in the nature of spirits… but now…” Olivia smiled warmly at him. “I’ve made friends - several, actually.” She looked at Jack softly and towards the doorway where Esmerelda and Agnes were chatting noisily downstairs. “I’ve felt pride at the accomplishments of Aurora and the strength of Raven. I’ve rejoiced at the victories of Emrin, and the wedding of Falor. I’ve grieved the loss of Noten. I fought tooth-and-nail to get to Mary, and I’ve put my own life on the line to defend Eveline. These are just a few of the things I’ve experienced that I never thought would be possible. Most importantly though, I’ve loved every single one of my family.” Her voice filled with emotion as she spoke. “You are a part of this family, Jupiter, and I love you as I love all of them.”
Jupiter was overwhelmed with the feelings he got. In a moment he dropped to his knees and looked to the floor.

“What are you doing?” Olivia laughed.
“I’m offering you my loyalty.” Jupiter slowly raised his eyes to meet her. “Majnun asked me to give an oath to him and I could not, because my loyalties lie with the Reapers. With you.”
Olivia smiled warmly, touched by the gesture. “You need not swear anything to me.” She shook her head.
“I will though.” He looked at her with determination. “You’ve given me a real chance at life, Olivia. I do not take that lightly. Say the word. Ask me anything. I will do it.”
Olivia felt herself warm at the boy she watched Jack raise. “I do have a favor to ask of you - but please know you can say no.”
“What is it? I’ll do anything you ask.” He responded back immediately.
“I won’t need you to do anything right now, but much later. When your great-grandchild is born, we can speak of it again.” Olivia said sweetly.
Jupiter frowned sadly. “If Eveline takes me back.

“She’s very hurt right now, but she loves you just as much as you love her. She hasn’t seen anyone at all since you vanished.” Olivia consoled him.
Jupiter looked at her with hope, “not even the blond guy?”
She shook her head. “No one.”
He nodded. “Thank you for this.” He pulled himself to his feet and looked at Jack.
“It’s time for you to get back.” She said to them. “We can discuss more of my favor of you later.”
Jupiter rolled his shoulders back and stretched his limbs.
He would do whatever it took to win Eveline back.
He wouldn’t need to be without her ever again.

Offline PeregrineTook

• Watcher
  • aka Pippin, the Most Tenacious Simmer
Re: Reaper's Genetic Legacy Experiment: Rise of a Vampire Lord
« Reply #858 on: May 18, 2016, 07:58:14 AM »
Nice update!  The vampire lord look is pretty cool, not gonna lie.
Eveline deserves happiness, so he'd better do whatever it takes to make her happiness happen!

Offline LivvieLove

• Queen of Mush
  • Watcher
« Reply #859 on: May 18, 2016, 02:43:54 PM »
Nice update!  The vampire lord look is pretty cool, not gonna lie.
Eveline deserves happiness, so he'd better do whatever it takes to make her happiness happen!
Thank you so much! It was quite a lengthy update, but I'm still glad I got it up there with plenty of pictures to help distinguish it.
I'm uncertain if I'll keep the face tattoos on Jupiter or not. He seems so different with them on, but I can't say that's a bad thing necessarily.
Eveline does deserve happiness, and to be honest, I have no idea how she's going to react to Jupiter's return. I do know that Jupiter will definitely do anything she asks and more to win her back. Guess we'll have to see if his persistence wins out in the end.
And if he keeps those face tattoos. Still thinking about it. ::)
Thanks so much for sticking through that long-winded update though!

Offline oshizu

• Watcher
    • oshizu's asylum
« Reply #860 on: May 18, 2016, 03:47:51 PM »
Oh that was a lot of lore to absorb. I read Part I  twice (once last night and once now) before starting Part II. I'm really grateful for your family tree, where I can check names of people I'd forgotten.
I find the cosmology confusing still--will you ever create some kind of chart or a Who's Who kind of glossary?
Or have many of the gods become absorbed into the Reapers' extended family somehow (like the Keepers)?

Today, I like Jupiter's facial tattoos. It makes him look like the powerful being he has become and renews my interest in him (which I had lost) due to curiosity over how the Vampire Lord status will transform him in mind and spirit.

It's heart-breaking to see Majnun looking so bitter. Will we be seeing more of Malice? Not actually a request, but I imagine he has a killer backstory.

As always, your images are amazing! And I giggled at the reference to Esmerelda and Quinn.

P.S. I want Alecca (and Mary) to have a happy ending!

Offline LivvieLove

• Queen of Mush
  • Watcher
« Reply #861 on: May 18, 2016, 04:21:08 PM »
Oh that was a lot of lore to absorb. I read Part I  twice (once last night and once now) before starting Part II. I'm really grateful for your family tree, where I can check names of people I'd forgotten.
I find the cosmology confusing still--will you ever create some kind of chart or a Who's Who kind of glossary?
Or have many of the gods become absorbed into the Reapers' extended family somehow (like the Keepers)?

Today, I like Jupiter's facial tattoos. It makes him look like the powerful being he has become and renews my interest in him (which I had lost) due to curiosity over how the Vampire Lord status will transform him in mind and spirit.

It's heart-breaking to see Majnun looking so bitter. Will we be seeing more of Malice? Not actually a request, but I imagine he has a killer backstory.

As always, your images are amazing! And I giggled at the reference to Esmerelda and Quinn.

P.S. I want Alecca (and Mary) to have a happy ending!
I'm sorry! I know it was a doozy. It was all very necessary though. I'll try to be sure I bring some things back around and help them settle in a bit to everyone's memories. Hopefully my family tree is a helpful enough resource. It hasn't been updated that much in a while, so I don't believe there are any spoilers in it (yet).
I would like to make sure my story is most clear for everyone, so can I ask what you mean by cosmology? Particularly, which parts of the cosomology is the most confusing?
The gods are not all related (nor will they be absorbed into the Reaper Family, Olivia detests the gods), and while you will meet all of the gods eventually, I'm only putting heavy emphasis on the ones who will be relevant to the story (like Majnun, Agonin and Malice). I can absolutely and gladly create an image or a glossary of a who's-who amongst the Gods. That's actually a fantastic idea, and I think I'll run with it. I currently have a hierarchy written out that I keep my notes on and I'll probably translate that into something easy to understand so everyone can have that to work with if they'd like. Thank you for the wonderful idea. I just need to figure out which medium would be best for that kind of adventure. Any thoughts on what would be easy for you (as a reader) to navigate?

That's two notes on Jupiter's face tattoos. I didn't even think about how they were a visual representation of his power. Yeah, I think I might have to keep them. I was worried he might look goofy with them, but it's growing on me a lot.

It is really sad to go from seeing Majnun on top of the world to the being he is in present-day.

I thank you so, so much for bearing with me as I'm working through the best ways to introduce these new lore aspects (if I could've done this from the beginning I feel like it would've helped immensely). Hopefully I can help translate my ideas a little better. Your feedback is always appreciated and super helpful! I also appreciate the compliments. I was really nervous about this chapter, because I knew it was a lot going in.
Also, I thought you might like that. ;) Let's just say that if you look closely at all images containing Esmerelda, you'll notice I tried to put special emphasis on certain features. Those might be important, perhaps, later on. ::)
Nothing crucial to the story, of course, but just fun little things that don't pertain to this story.

I really hope Alec and Mary can work out their issues. They were my power-couple for a while. We'll see how low Alec sinks. He's been writing himself and it's been sad watching his destruction, but this is his character. Mary has also been writing herself and she's, unsurprisingly, been very strong and capable - regardless of what her husband is doing.

Anyways, thank you so much again for reading along and helping me slowly shape this story into something incredible!

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline oshizu

• Watcher
    • oshizu's asylum
« Reply #862 on: May 18, 2016, 04:55:51 PM »
Okay, I went to re-examine all images containing Esmeralda but nothing leaped out at me.
I'll come back and check later when you've posted the other story.

I'm glad I went back to check though because I'd been wanting to know more about Tragic and his beautiful companion and it only just now dawned on me.
Tragic = Tragic Clown.  I know, I know, you mention Agnes Reaper in your narrative but I was having trouble keeping everyone identified (like, which woman is who?)

Also made an important new discovery!  Livvie, I mean, Olivia has the natural freckles you love, hehe.
So much I didn't notice the first two times... :-(

About the cosmology--I have no idea how they're usually represented but I, for example, was thrilled to realize that Alessandra (who I hate) is the daughter of Agonin (who mystifies me).
Also, you've explained Fate a number of times but I keep forgetting who she is. And now we add Calypso. I'm guessing Olivia is like a Watcher.
It would be great to have a visual or textual reminder of who everyone is, or maybe that's just my feeble mind. 

This link shows a relationships chart for RP. But it's one way of organizing people in a non-familial hierarchy.
Sorry, for the odd example, it's the first one I saw of the sort I was seeking.  I'm not suggesting that you create anime versions of your gods...

Looking forward to everything!

Offline LivvieLove

• Queen of Mush
  • Watcher
« Reply #863 on: May 18, 2016, 05:33:22 PM »
Okay, I went to re-examine all images containing Esmeralda but nothing leaped out at me.
I'll come back and check later when you've posted the other story.

I'm glad I went back to check though because I'd been wanting to know more about Tragic and his beautiful companion and it only just now dawned on me.
Tragic = Tragic Clown.  I know, I know, you mention Agnes Reaper in your narrative but I was having trouble keeping everyone identified (like, which woman is who?)

Also made an important new discovery!  Livvie, I mean, Olivia has the natural freckles you love, hehe.
So much I didn't notice the first two times... :-(

About the cosmology--I have no idea how they're usually represented but I, for example, was thrilled to realize that Alessandra (who I hate) is the daughter of Agonin (who mystifies me).
Also, you've explained Fate a number of times but I keep forgetting who she is. And now we add Calypso. I'm guessing Olivia is like a Watcher.
It would be great to have a visual or textual reminder of who everyone is, or maybe that's just my feeble mind. 

This link shows a relationships chart for RP. But it's one way of organizing people in a non-familial hierarchy.
Sorry, for the odd example, it's the first one I saw of the sort I was seeking.  I'm not suggesting that you create anime versions of your gods...

Looking forward to everything!
You're fabulous, you know that, right?
I'm actually working on a blog that I'll link to the first page of this. It'll function as a sort of living glossary of a "who's who" so to speak, as well as have family trees and explanations of all the lifestates (Sirens, Sources, Genies [aka Djinns], Nymphs, Spirits... etc. etc. etc). Despite that, I'm still going to make sure I'm explaining everything fairly clearly and hoping that it's not too confusing in the story.

It'll be a bit of time before I can really start working on their story fully (as this story has 100% consumed me at this point, clearly haha - if only you guys knew exactly what I do behind the scenes at all times XD).
Also, apologies! I probably should've thrown in Tragic Reaper's last name in there so you weren't lost as to exactly WHO he was.

Olivia does have natural freckles. She was originally based on my simself, and I have freckles. She and I have fully diverged though (she's not very representative of me, otherwise she'd be drooling over Majnun and Jupiter and others who shall not be named as you have not met them yet and it's spoilerish), so while we share a name, our personalities are very different.
Kind of odd, when I think about it. Ha.
Think of it this way: you're not missing anything the first time you read something, you're just going to discover new things as you read it over and over! (Forever the optimist over here).

Also, indeed! Agonin is Alessandra's father. She's a piece of work, no? I see so much of Agonin in her sometimes and then there are times when I think she's nothing like him.
Yes! Fate is probably a bit confusing given her name is her title, unlike the other gods (Majnun, Agonin, Calypso, Malice). Her mother named her that out of spite hoping fate would be cruel to her, her ascending to goddesshood through Majnun (who is her grandfather. She is Sheo "Poof" Keeper's daughter. ;)) was just icing on the cake.

As for Olivia? She's a spirit of protection. You're familiar with Dragon Age, right? Well it works like spirits from that game in a way. Spirits embody one element and don't know much else. She is the Watcher of the Reapers, so they call her that as well. Spirits are very powerful, as they're a piece of raw essence that gained sentience, but they are not stronger than gods (so she is bent to the will gods). These are fantastic questions and I'll need to think about how I would like to address them in the story so they're clear in the future.
Meanwhile, with Calypso, that was more of a name drop for now, because she will start to become more important in time. I've been trying to prime the scene a bit early so that way when these things come up later it will already be a bit familiar to those who are following along.

Thank you for the example! I would LOVE to create anime versions of the gods, that would be completely hilarious. Could you imagine anime Malice and Majnun choking each other out? Almost too cute for words... meanwhile... they're a bit scarier as they are now. XD

I can't thank you enough for your suggestions and feedback! I hope that I can get everyone something to help those who aren't swimming in the lore like I am a way to reference and learn about the world. Again, thank you so much!

Hopefully with this blog I'm working on, it can help give you the tools you need. =)

Offline LivvieLove

• Queen of Mush
  • Watcher
Re: Reaper's Genetic Legacy Experiment: Weight of the World
« Reply #864 on: May 22, 2016, 01:58:13 AM »
Weight of the World
Midnight Hollow: Present Day
Eveline let out a long breath as she exited the Civic Center. It had been a long week.
Well, that was the understatement of the year.
Her father had vanished into thin air, leaving her mother in shambles. Her Uncle Edward had started stopping by more since Johanna had packed her bags and took off for Bridgeport. Her grandfather still had not returned from whatever it was that filled his time. Then, to top it all off, her nightmares were only getting worse with each night. Eveline clenched her fists. The world was falling apart.

She took in another long breath and let it out slowly. It wasn’t all bad. She had actually made some friends out of her coworkers. Fausto and Karl were growing on her, despite their initial catty attitudes towards Seema souring her first impression of them. Seema had grown to become one of Eveline’s closest friends. Eveline kept her friendship with Todd at arm's length, however, as his intentions seemed more aligned with romantic interest in her. Given he was her boss, it made things a little tense.
It didn’t help that Todd had a sort-of-but-not-really relationship going on with Seema, who was also his roommate. Eveline always made sure she kept herself as uninterested as possible when it came to him - or anyone else for that matter. She had no issue shutting down anyone who asked her on dates, she simply wasn’t ready to see anyone. How could she possibly let someone believe they have a chance with her when she’ll still be saying Jupiter’s name in her sleep?
Jupiter. The memories of him never left her for long. It was his embrace she wanted to be in. It was his laughter she wanted to hear. It was his form she hoped she sensed next to her every morning. Yet he was not here. He did not want to be here. He left her when things were falling apart. How could she ever trust someone who can’t even keep his promise to stay by her side? She couldn’t. Not that it would ever matter. He wasn’t coming back, and if he did, she would kindly show him the door. At least, that is what she told herself.
Eveline felt like a mess all the time. She couldn’t go a minute in silence without wondering how her life went so wrong. Thankfully, she was rarely left alone. Bear, in his strange way, seemed to express understanding at her sadness and always showed up when thoughts of Jupiter would begin creeping in. Atris was often flying around the neighborhood and returning with death flowers for her on the idea that flowers would hopefully cheer her up.
Then there was Ra.

Ra had been discovered in the sewers of Midnight Hollow after people reported things of “the arcane” occurring. Eveline, being the newfound researcher in all things arcane, was sent in to investigate with both Karl and Fausto determined to go with her ‘just in case she needed masculine help.’ Eveline and Seema had rolled their eyes at the comment, but let the boys think they were tough. They certainly weren’t so tough when Ra snapped at them and sent them running for the ladder of the sewers at top speed.
Eveline had carefully approached the baby cowplant and realized he was all entangled in garbage and starving. Someone had tossed him in there to die and it filled Eveline with rage. Eveline, thankfully, always kept spare fish on her for when Atris would return to her with another death flower, ‘to make Mother happy,’ so she fed the baby and slowly untangled him. By the time he was free, he and Eveline had developed a bond and he would trust no one else - she named him Ra, and it stuck. Eveline carefully took Ra home and gave him a place in her slowly growing garden where he grew quickly and reached full maturity in a few days time.
No, things weren’t as bad as they seemed. Her uncle was even surprisingly cheerful when she saw him. He was doing more field work now that Johanna wasn’t around to protest his job choice, and he had also bought himself a new motorcycle. He and Eveline had spent every day since her father disappeared hunting him down. Alec had been seen briefly in Bridgeport, but no one could find him after that brief encounter.
So there she stood, having spent another afternoon tearing apart any clues her father left as to where he disappeared to and they still haven’t got much to go on. She walked quietly to the road, her mind distant. Seema and Todd were dropping by any minute to go over the plan for the next Red-Out that would occur. Todd had wanted to ‘ok’ her plan with the Police Chief though, and Eveline unfortunately couldn’t stop him.
Eveline stretched upwards and froze, her eyes growing narrow as her vision spread further. Is that…? Could it really be...?
She had seen that outline before, that stance. She felt her heart leap into her throat and blue eyes flashed in her memory. Could he really be here? Could Jupiter have come here looking for her?

“Eveline! Yoohoo!” Seema’s voice snapped Eveline from her trance and suddenly she was nearly knocked over as Seema surrounded her in a hug. Something wasn’t right with the sound of her voice or the way she hugged Eveline loosely. Something was wrong.
Eveline hugged her back and cleared her throat. “You scared me.” She mumbled.
Seema frowned at her, noticing Eveline’s face as well. “Is everything ok? What’s wrong?”
Eveline opened her mouth to return the question when Todd approached them, and Eveline shut it immediately. “Todd.” She tilted her head slightly. She had a feeling Seema and he probably had another small tiff again.
“The Police Chief shot down our idea.” He frowned as he spoke. “I’m afraid we can’t proceed with your idea.”
Eveline’s face soured. “So we have to wait for more people to die first, is that what you’re saying?!”
Todd sighed, “it’s not ideal, no, but I think the Chief may have a point. I’d hate for you to risk yourself like that, Eveline.” Todd had stepped a hair closer to her than she was comfortable with, especially given that Seema was right there. She reached up and awkwardly brushed a strand of hair out of her face. She prayed Seema would jump in and save her, but Seema was unusually quiet tonight - even quieter than when she and Todd get into small arguments. Something was very wrong.

Eveline would need to talk to her about that. Soon. As soon as Todd left, that was. “I could handle the Red-Killer.” Eveline shook her head, trying to balance the conversation and her internal thoughts. “He wouldn’t be able to sneak up on me… and I have magic to defend myself!”
Todd tilted his head as he stared at her. “You’re a woman; you’re small in size and you would be alone. Not to mention-”
“Yeah?! So what? I am a woman. Women can do powerful things. You should meet my mother sometime.” Eveline spat. Her tolerance for the sexism around here was growing very thin like her nerves.
“I didn’t mean it like that, Eveline.” Todd said gently. “What I meant was, what if it’s a group of people, or someone magical like you are? You’re just one person, and you can’t deny the facts: you’re a woman and you’re blind. Going in this alone isn’t safe. The probability of you being overwhelmed is far too high for me, or anyone, to be comfortable sending you out into the field.” He countered smoothly.
Eveline refused to dignify Todd with a response anymore and instead looked in Seema’s direction curiously. As a very outspoken advocate for women’s rights, she was far too quiet. “Is everything ok, Seema?”

Seema jerked suddenly, “huh? What? Sorry! My mind is elsewhere…” She looked dazed and even a little pale. “Eveline is very capable. Did you see how she handled Ra? Not to mention she can handle the source - I mean, the Swallow House - all without breaking a sweat. I could go with her even, so then she wouldn’t be alone!”
Todd shook his head, “no. We listen to the Chief. That’s the end of that. We’re not police officers. We’re scientists. We stick to what we know and we keep trying to uncover something that’ll catch the Red-Killer. That’s it.”
Eveline frowned, but said nothing, she was more concerned for Seema, who seemed to have drifted off again. Seema being quiet was the worst omen the universe could have sent Eveline. Seema is never quiet.
Todd took in the silence and sighed. “I’m sorry. I’m just following rules. I don’t want us to overstep what we’re capable of. Besides, we’ve got work to on the Swallow House anyways. Let’s leave the suspect-hunting for the police.” He looked between them both. “Now, how about we get some dinner and go over the notes you two gathered.” He was referring to the two trips Eveline had made into the property line of the Swallow House while Seema stood on standby just in case.
Seema spoke then, “actually, I don’t really feel so good. I think I’ll… I’ll pass.”
This didn’t bode well at all. Dinner alone with Todd? Eveline searched her brain until something clicked. “You’re sick? That’s not good. You’ve been around the Swallow House a lot with me. Come home with me, I need to make sure everything is ok.” She paused and faked a frown. “Sorry, Todd; we’ll have to go over the notes tomorrow at work. Given the state of the Swallow House I can’t take any chances on any of you falling prey to the magic there!”
Eveline didn’t know the first thing about healing, but she wasn’t going to say that outloud. How hard could it be anyways? She had her grandfather’s blood in her. She could do anything.

Todd gave Seema an odd look, but nodded. “Feel better soon. I’ll chat with you both tomorrow then.” He hailed a taxi and disappeared into the distance.
Eveline looked back to where she thought she saw Jupiter, her sight expanding as she looked for anything familiar, but there was nothing. Not even a trace. She must be going crazy. She wanted to laugh darkly: well, she has her grandfather’s blood in her, after all. She shook the thought and put her attention on her silent friend. “Come’on, let’s go home and I’ll have a look at you.”
Seema looked to the pavement and nodded. Not a single word came from her lips.

Things were oddly quiet in the house as well, and Eveline got a strange feeling in her gut. Was her father home, perhaps? “Mom? Are you home yet?” She called as she entered the door with Seema in tow behind her. “I brought Seema home!”

“I’m upstairs.” Mary’s voice drifted down. There was something wrong. Why was there always something wrong with everyone? Eveline felt like she might crumble under the weight.
“Is everything ok?” Eveline called up to her as she and Seema walked towards her room.
“All is well!” It was her uncle’s voice. He must have left right after she did and came straight here.
“Let me know if you need anything, ok mom?” Eveline called once more.
It was a long moment before Mary called back. “Thanks, love, but I’m good.”
Eveline took Seema into her room and closed the door behind her. She sighed heavily. “Does your throat hurt?” She asked immediately after turning around. “I’m not trained in healing, but I can take a look and-”
“Eveline?” Seema was quiet, hugging herself, her voice was heavy and cracked with emotion.
“What is it, Seema? Did something happen?” Eveline approached her friend carefully. “Was it between you and Todd? You’re freaking me out here Seema! You’ve never been this quiet in all the time I’ve known you!”
“I don’t know what to do…” She whispered to Eveline. “Eveline, I just don’t know what to do. I’m so scared.”
Eveline hugged her. “Did he hit you? Oh gods tell me he didn’t. I swear-”
“I’m pregnant, Eveline.”
That hit Eveline like a sack of bricks. She was tempted to ask if this was real or not, but she knew Seema wouldn’t fake this. She ushered Seema over to the bed and sat down next to her. “I take it that Todd…”

Seema sucked in a shaky breath and nodded. “I’m going to be the laughingstock at work!” It all came out. “They already do whatever they can to take jabs at me! First because I was the only girl, and then because I talked too much and now…” She started crying. “Todd doesn’t even want a relationship with me, and now this!” She clutched her stomach. “My parents will disown me completely for this… oh lanta, Eveline! What if Todd puts me out? Would he even do that? Could he even do that?”
Eveline rubbed her back. “Does he know?” She asked quietly.
She nodded. “He didn’t take it too well. He asked me what I planned to do with ‘it.’” She clutched her head. “Like by calling them an ‘it’ makes it easier.” She shook her head. “He doesn’t want 'it.' He wants me to give 'it' up. I just don’t think I can. Is that selfish? Do you think they’ll hate me for it? For not having their dad around? I don’t think Todd will want to be around and I mean… I can’t blame him, I guess. He doesn’t want this and I do… or do I? This is a terrible idea! I’m not cut out to be a mom! I just… I can’t live with the idea of giving them up.”
Eveline tensed. She couldn’t even imagine how hard this had to be for her to be so alone in this. “What do you want to do, Seema?”

“I’m not even sure what I should do…”
“No. What do you want to do?” Eveline asked firmly. “Tell me what you want and we’ll go from there. Do you want to keep the baby?”
Seema sat on it for a moment before she nodded. “I do. I want them. I want to be a better parent to them than my parents were to me.”
“Then you keep the baby.” Eveline said firmly.
“I can’t do this alone though Eveline…” Seema whispered. “You make it sound so easy! How-”
“You move in with me.” Eveline responded immediately. “You move in with me and then we’ll take everything from there.”
Seema’s eyes went wide, “what? Move in with you? What about Todd?”
Eveline looked at her with concern in her eyes. “Even if Todd comes around, you two will probably be better off with some distance between you. Here you can stay with me and have my support and stability as we work out your next steps.”

“I couldn’t do that to you and your mom… I would hate to intrude on your family, Eveline.” She shook her head as she spoke.
“Oh nonsense!” Eveline pursed her lips, “I’m not taking no for an answer. Besides, I won’t complain at having more company.”
Seema looked at her with big eyes that were watery from the tears. In an instant she hugged Eveline tightly. “I can’t even tell you how much this means to me, Eveline… Thank you so much…”
Eveline smiled at her. “Now let’s get you some of my clothes to wear for the night and we can sort the rest out over the weekend, ok?”
Seema nodded and wiped her face off, taking in a deep breath. “Do you think people at work are going to know who the father is?”

“If anyone makes a comment about it I’ll throw them head first into the Swallow House with no protection.” Eveline crossed her arms and smirked. “That should keep everyone real quiet about it.”
Seema actually managed a soft laugh. “I can’t believe I’m going to be a parent…”
Eveline tipped her head, “imagine all the cute baby clothes I won’t be able to see! Oh please don’t trust me with the baby’s gender party - I might accidentally grab the wrong color.”
They both laughed a little at the joke. “I’m sure the baby would love whatever color you picked out for them!” Seema bit her lip and smiled slightly. “Auntie Evie’s the best at picking colors!”
“Yeah, the best at picking all the wrong colors.” Eveline laughed under her breath.
“I’m really doing this, aren’t I?” Seema spoke with an air of wonder to it. She rubbed her stomach softly. “You and me, little one.”

Eveline quickly put her hand on Seema’s stomach, “and crazy auntie too!”
They laughed together until it was broken by a knock on the door. “Evie… can I borrow you for a moment?” It was Mary.
Eveline’s face fell and Seema gave her an interesting look. “That doesn’t sound good.” Seema whispered. “Is this about your dad?”
Eveline frowned, “I have no idea.” She stood. “I’ll be right out!” She said louder.
“I’ll be in here if you need anything.” Seema whispered.
Eveline walked towards the door with a weight in her chest. It was one hurdle after the next.

Mary sat at the table with Edward and Eveline. She sat with her hands folded in front of her as she stared at the table.

“So, what’s up?” Eveline shifted in her chair, wondering what all the commotion was. “Did you hear from dad yet? Please tell me you yelled at him something fierce. He deserves it after he vanished like that and-”
“Evie?” Mary’s voice was softer than it usually was and she swallowed. “We haven’t heard from your dad yet, no.”
Edward put his hand on her shoulder and nodded to her.
Eveline’s eyes narrowed at the floor. “What’s going on?”
Mary looked at Edward and sighed, “can you wait outside?” She asked levelly. “I want to talk to my daughter.”
Edward nodded and headed for the front door. Once the door clicked shut Eveline felt panic rise in her. “Mom… what’s going on?” She asked again.
Mary reached across the table and touched her daughter’s arm. “Your father and I haven’t seen eye-to-eye much lately.” She started.
Eveline nodded, “yeah, he’s been a real taffer. I can’t believe he would act so coldly! I’m going to force him out of that stupid study when he gets home and I promise he’ll be sorry when I’m done giving him a what-for!”

Mary bit her lip and nodded sympathetically before sighing again. “You don’t need to do that, Evie.”
“No, I really do. After the way he’s treated you, he’s going to owe you a big apology to make up for the jerk he’s been.”
Mary was quiet. “I don’t know if he’ll apologize or not, Evie.”
Eveline was getting angrier. “Of course he will! I won’t tolerate him acting like this anymore. This isn’t how you’re supposed to act in a marriage!”
Mary didn’t respond.
Eveline frowned. “Why are you so quiet? What’s going on? Everyone has been leaving me in the dark lately, mom…”
Mary hesitantly began speaking again. “I know, dear. I’m sorry.” She paused. “I just didn’t want to pull you into a fight that wasn’t yours, but I think you’re involved in it anyways, whether I like it or not, because we’re your parents.” Mary fidgeted in her seat, her gaze slowly met her daughter’s face. “I’m moving out, Evie.”
Eveline felt her heart drop. “What?! No!” She put her head in her hands. “No! No! You can’t move out! Surely we can fix this… Dad couldn’t have screwed up THAT royally. What did he do?” Her tone was getting more agitated.

“I don’t feel it’s right to talk about your father in that light with you-”
“What did he do, mom?!” Eveline was clenching her fists.
Mary sighed and pinched the bridge of her nose. “I have reason to believe… your father… might be seeing someone else.”
It didn’t sink in, Eveline didn’t want it to. “Seeing someone else? Seeing them for what?”
Mary gave her a flat look, and let out a shaky breath. “Seeing them romantically, Eveline.” Her voice was tired.
Eveline stood up quickly in a rage. She clenched her fists and the chair she was sitting in flew backwards and hit the wall. Everything was falling apart. Why can’t people just be decent humans for once? Why can’t a relationship actually work? She was gritting her teeth before she started walking towards the stairs.
“Eveline, where are you going?”
“I’m going to throw all of dad’s stuff out the window. You’re not leaving. He is!” She started to walk up the stairs when Mary stopped her.
“Eveline.”
It wasn’t enough to pull her from the anger she felt.
“EVELINE!” Mary shouted.
Eveline stopped and turned abruptly. “What?! I’m not tolerating this! You shouldn’t have to leave!” She crossed her arms across her chest.
“Come back, sit with me.” Mary pulled her daughter back over to the table, picking up the chair that was thrown back earlier as she walked. “While I’m really touched that you feel so upset on my behalf, I don’t want this to taint your relationship with your father.”

“What?! How could this not?!” She was seething.
Mary patted her shoulder. “Your father is a good man-”
“To hell he is!” She shook her head.
“I’m not for sure that he actually did anything, Eveline. Please, calm down.” Mary waited for a minute before continuing. “I’m going to go and stay with Edward for a bit and gather my head and go from there. This may not be a permanent thing; I just need some space away from this house to clear my head. That’s all.”
Eveline bit her cheeks hard and nodded. “I don’t want you to go, mom.” She whispered.
Mary felt her heart breaking in her chest again. “You can come see me anytime you want. You can even stay with me if you’d like. I just can’t stay in this house when all I can think about is the pain your father has caused me in every room. I don’t have a single happy memory with him here and I can’t possibly think clearly when I’m surrounded by… this.” She gestured to the room.
Eveline nodded and took in a breath. “You do what you’ve got to do, mom. I’m still throwing dad out when he comes back.”

Mary looked at her softly, “can I ask you not to do anything irrational until we know what happened? What if he’s been injured?”
“Good.” Eveline crossed her arms.
“Evie… you don’t mean that.” Mary said quietly.
“I do. I do very much so.” Eveline said bitterly.
“Evie…” Mary reached over to her again.
Eveline shook her head. “I’m so sorry this happened, mom.”
Mary was quiet. “Me too, love.”
“Will you tell me if I can do anything for you?” Eveline felt like she was scrambling to help everyone. There had to be more she could do.
Mary smiled warmly at her. “Just take care of you, love. I can handle my problems; please make sure you’re taking care of yourself and that will help me immensely.”
Eveline rolled her eyes at the comment. “Such a mom thing to say.”

Mary rolled her eyes right back, though Eveline would never know. “Well, one day you’ll be a mom and you’ll understand.”
Eveline shot up suddenly, “oh! I need to tell you! Seema is pregnant!” It came rushing out. “She’s going to be moving in, is that ok?”
Mary looked at her shocked for a minute before laughing at her daughter switching gears. “Of course that’s fine. She’s lovely. How far along is she?”
Eveline frowned. “I don’t know. She literally just told me an hour ago.”
Mary laughed again. “You sound like you’re still reeling from everything.”
Eveline sighed. “You have no idea, mom.” No one did.
Mary rubbed her shoulders and smiled at her. “I’m so proud of the woman you’ve become, Evie. I hope you know that.”
“Mom!” Eveline pretended to brush her hands off, but she smiled. “Thank you.” She whispered. “I’m doing my best.”
“You’re doing amazing, love. I’ll be back in a few days once I’ve cleared my head. Ok? You know where I’ll be. I’m just a call away if you need anything - and I mean anything!”
Eveline shook her head, “don’t worry about it mom. I hope you can find some peace while you’re away.”
Mary nodded, “me too.” She stood and kissed her head. “Remember what I said. Anything at all.” She repeated.
They parted and the house was silent again.

Eveline had given Seema her bed for the night and chose to sleep on the couch. She could laugh, there was no way she was going to sleep tonight. Everything was falling apart. Everything was always falling apart, and so was she. She clutched her arms around herself and took deep breaths, but it felt like she wasn’t getting enough air in her lungs.

It was late, and she felt so alone. Tears threatened to come from her eyes. She needed to get away from it all. She was being crushed under the weight of everyone else’s problems. Eveline was ready to throw in the towel. What is left? She only wanted a strong marriage like her parents.
That was laughable now. Even her uncle’s relationship was over. Are people like Todd really what she’ll be left with?
There’s no such thing as a good marriage.
It was a bitter conclusion to come to, but Eveline couldn’t shake it. All relationships were doomed. People cheated. People ran from responsibility. People were controlling.
Eveline felt tears escape her eyes. She couldn’t keep bearing all this weight for everyone. She sucked in a breath but it wasn’t enough. She was suffocating. She stood suddenly and paced back and forth across the room. Bear watched her with sad eyes as he rested on the couch, waiting for his master to come to bed already.

“I can’t do this.” She whispered. “This is too much. Everyone asks too much.” Her vision began going in and out from her labored breathing. The house seemed to tremble slightly with her unease.
She sat for a moment, but she couldn’t remain seated. She stood again and paced, her breathing erratic. “I need air.” She whispered. “I just need fresh air. I can’t breathe!” She tried desperately to take in a solid breath but it felt like no air was going into her lungs.
Bear whined at her.
She took off for the front door and yanked on all the locks. They weren’t coming undone fast enough. “Come on! Come on! I can’t breathe!” She whispered. She kicked the door slightly and another tear fell out of her eyes. “I can’t breathe!” Her voice was harsh. She finally got the lock and yanked the door open. She bolted two steps forward and hit something solid.
Her head was spinning, something was holding her up. She was gasping in the cold, night air. “Let me go!” She whispered. “I can’t breathe! This is too much… I can’t bear it!” She turned to push the arms off her and froze. Pine. Cinnamon. Spices.

Jupiter.

Offline oshizu

• Watcher
    • oshizu's asylum
« Reply #865 on: May 22, 2016, 07:01:14 AM »
I had forgotten how truly lovely Eveline is.
I'm a bit angry for her--she is the young blind woman yet everyone expects her to help carry the load.
Edward makes me furious--whispering venomous words in his sister's ear until she abandons her sightless daughter to go "find some space."
As I feel angrier and more impatient at all the selfish people around Eveline, he appears, just when she needs him the most. Fabulous build-up.

Please keep the tattoos! They shout that Jupiter is no longer the emo wimp of the past. He looks like he's ready to stand and fight.
I absolutely love the final shot, LivvieLove. The look in his eyes! So intense, so sad, so caring!

What next, what next? What neeeexxxxttt?

Offline LivvieLove

• Queen of Mush
  • Watcher
« Reply #866 on: May 22, 2016, 11:34:01 AM »
I had forgotten how truly lovely Eveline is.
I'm a bit angry for her--she is the young blind woman yet everyone expects her to help carry the load.
Edward makes me furious--whispering venomous words in his sister's ear until she abandons her sightless daughter to go "find some space."
As I feel angrier and more impatient at all the selfish people around Eveline, he appears, just when she needs him the most. Fabulous build-up.

Please keep the tattoos! They shout that Jupiter is no longer the emo wimp of the past. He looks like he's ready to stand and fight.
I absolutely love the final shot, LivvieLove. The look in his eyes! So intense, so sad, so caring!

What next, what next? What neeeexxxxttt?
<3 I'm always glad to see comments from you!
Eveline is quite lovely; she always looks so pretty! She's struggling to shoulder the world, but at the same time she also needs to just let some things go.
Can I just say I'm so fascinated by your anger with Edward? I LOVE Edward, and I don't see him as the bad guy in this situation at all. In fact, I feel a sort of need to defend him a little (not that I don't value your opinion on the subject - I truly do! I just am so fascinated that you feel this way about Edward and would love to present a devil's advocate):
Alec has been yelling, throwing things, locking Mary out of rooms. Alec has broken promises, lied, and vanished for days at a time without a single word to his wife! That's no way, at all, to treat someone you care about - let alone your own wife. Edward is just being a concerned brother. It's also important to remember that Edward not only has 'big brother' syndrome when it comes to Mary, but that they grew up in a dynamic where it was just the two of them against the world. Add the fact that Edward knew Alec way back when (in Barnacle Bay) and knew how he acted/spoke/reacted when he was "at the top of his [womanizing] game" certainly doesn't help things. Edward isn't magical. He doesn't understand the gods or the magic his sister uses and he probably never will. Edward just loves his sister, and he sees her sticking her hands back in a fire which isn't like her. From the outside perspective of someone who isn't magically inclined, it's hard to see that there could be other things factoring into why Alec has vanished. Regardless, it doesn't make Alec's behaviors ok, and Edward knows that Mary is stronger than that. He knows she's capable of seeing what she deserves, but she's not thinking straight.
Edward's priority has always been Mary.
I never even thought that he might seem like he's trying to "stir the pot" or "poison the well" so to speak. I only ever saw the same brother that rescued Mary from being hit on while she was hiding as James; or the same brother Mary would run to every time things fell apart to help her put her life back together again.
That's why I love these comments though. They give me such a new perspective on my characters. I hope I don't seem overly defensive about Edward, I'm promise I'm not trying to be! I just noticed you had such an different view on Edward than I expected and I wonder if it's partially because I wrote Edward in a negative light.
Ah, look at me, I've spent all of this time addressing one part of your comment and not the next!

Jupiter is totally keeping the tattoos. I wasn't sure about it at first, but I really like them now. You're very right. They represent not only a change in his power, but a change in his mindset and a "growing up" period, so to speak. Tattoos are officially kept. Besides. They're growing on me.
Now, @oshizu, I know my boys aren't Sanada boys by any stretch, but I thought you might appreciate that someone's been to the gym:

(He was being so silly, I was like "ok, bring in Jupiter so I can set you up with some face tattoos... wait... why are you in your athletic wear... and when did you get so buff?!")

Now, my question to you is: did I manage to get you reinvested in Eveline and Jupiter?
I also hope people don't mind that we'll be hanging out in the present for a bit. I've neglected this part of the story and I really want to make up for that so people don't forget who these wonderful people are!

Offline oshizu

• Watcher
    • oshizu's asylum
« Reply #867 on: May 22, 2016, 01:27:01 PM »
My comments are just the opinions of an uninformed reader after all, but I'll try to explain why I reacted the way I did.
Regardless of everything Edward did for Mary in their years growing up in Barnacle Bay, I'm still furious at him for suggesting that Alecca is cheating.
It's just not something he should have said without some proof (he could have hired Jack or Felx as PI?).
Doubt once planted is hard to eradicate. And it seems to have been the last straw for Mary.

Another reason I'm so mad at Edward is because I cannot be angry with Alecca.
He is, after all, the now-gloomy, obsessed son of Majnun and we have yet to hear his story. But when we do I'm sure we will love Majnun--and, by extension--Alecca all the more.
It's true that Alecca has been pushing Mary away and neglecting her, but I'm sad that he's also being accused for adultery when his problems (whatever they are) lie elsewhere.
So no, you haven't written Edward in a negative light except that one point: he shared a speculation about Alecca with this sister, and now Mary can't get it out of her head.
I'm not sure why, when Mary leaves, she doesn't take her sightless daughter with her. 

And yes, I am back to being very reinvested in Eveline and Jupiter.
Eveline has matured and looks stunning. I'd found Jupiter interesting before because of his backstory and he had that unique look with the hat.
Now with the facial tattoos, I find him also very handsome.  His sportswear!  *runs off for some cough drops
In the last close-up, he appears to have grey eyes matching his grey facial tattoos.
But in the shot above, his eyes appear golden. Is that something about vampires that I'm unaware of?

I'm not sure why I'm such a supporter of ex-rake Alecca. Well, yes I am. He is part of Majnun's family.
He grew up feeling unloved and believing his father somehow killed his mother.  He deserves a break!

Offline LivvieLove

• Queen of Mush
  • Watcher
« Reply #868 on: May 22, 2016, 01:49:45 PM »
My comments are just the opinions of an uninformed reader after all, but I'll try to explain why I reacted the way I did.
Regardless of everything Edward did for Mary in their years growing up in Barnacle Bay, I'm still furious at him for suggesting that Alecca is cheating.
It's just not something he should have said without some proof (he could have hired Jack or Felx as PI?).
Doubt once planted is hard to eradicate. And it seems to have been the last straw for Mary.

Another reason I'm so mad at Edward is because I cannot be angry with Alecca.
He is, after all, the now-gloomy, obsessed son of Majnun and we have yet to hear his story. But when we do I'm sure we will love Majnun--and, by extension--Alecca all the more.
It's true that Alecca has been pushing Mary away and neglecting her, but I'm sad that he's also being accused for adultery when his problems (whatever they are) lie elsewhere.
So no, you haven't written Edward in a negative light except that one point: he shared a speculation about Alecca with this sister, and now Mary can't get it out of her head.
I'm not sure why, when Mary leaves, she doesn't take her sightless daughter with her. 

And yes, I am back to being very reinvested in Eveline and Jupiter.
Eveline has matured and looks stunning. I'd found Jupiter interesting before because of his backstory and he had that unique look with the hat.
Now with the facial tattoos, I find him also very handsome.  His sportswear!  *runs off for some cough drops
In the last close-up, he appears to have grey eyes matching his grey facial tattoos.
But in the shot above, his eyes appear golden. Is that something about vampires that I'm unaware of?

I'm not sure why I'm such a supporter of ex-rake Alecca. Well, yes I am. He is part of Majnun's family.
He grew up feeling unloved and believing his father somehow killed his mother.  He deserves a break!

Ah! Thank you for explaining it to me! Aleccas has had such a hard life, it's really a wonder he's turned out mostly ok. He'll definitely get more of a backstory and more revealed as time goes on. You're very right though, doubt - once placed - will be very hard to eradicate. I'm not sure Mary 100% believes Alec is cheating, but I think she's using it to remind herself that she can't go down with a sinking ship. She wants to stand by her husband, but it's getting to the point where she can't do that without causing herself harm.
The reason she didn't take Eveline (and I should've been clearer about this, I'll make sure I explain it in the next chapter) isn't because she didn't want to - she did. The Reaper House is being protected by Olivia, and where Mary is going it won't have the same protection. She wants her daughter to be safe, but she needs time away from the house. Mary isn't the type of mom to just run away from everything (she's stuck around this long for Eveline mostly - so that she wouldn't need to leave her daughter), but she can't set herself on fire to keep other people warm.
Unfortunately, that's something Eveline hasn't learned yet, though I'm sure Mary will gladly tell her about it.

I'm glad you're back to loving on my Evie and Jupiter! What was that 'ship name? Jupveline? Something like that. Choo choo!

Ah, let me see if I can explain vampire eyes for the Sims 3. They're nothing crazy special, and they don't change colors... hmm, let's see here. Here's Jupiter's wiki page so you can see his eyes originally. The page says he has gray eyes originally, however I found them to be a bit gray-blueish. With vampires, their eyes glow. They get lighter in color and they glow. Depending on the angle you look at them though, the glow looks different... Let's see, I've got pictures around here.
Here's a familiar shot - his eyes are always the same color, and always the same glow, they just look different under different lights/times/angles.
Minimal glow from this angle:

Silver/Gray glow from this angle:

Blue glow from this angle:

So there you have it.
Essentially, vampire eyes are weird. I haven't touched his coloring at all. It just varies depending on the time of day/day of the week (full moon/new moon/etc)/and angle of the camera it seems. (Shrugs)

Offline PeregrineTook

• Watcher
  • aka Pippin, the Most Tenacious Simmer
« Reply #869 on: May 22, 2016, 04:11:02 PM »
It's always nice to see Bear, the immortal watchdog, pop in again  :=)  He hearkens back to a time when the story was simpler and helps bridge that gap nicely.