Author Topic: Eight Ways to Live Forever: The Waverly Immortal Dynasty ("Complete")  (Read 337413 times)

Offline smartburn

• Occult
Re: Eight Ways to Live Forever: The Waverly Immortal Dynasty (Ch. 47, 6/5)
« Reply #225 on: June 06, 2014, 10:26:18 AM »
I knew Jo's nose had to be a Curious one! I guess it could be a Baker nose too, both families have impressive schnozzes. My money has been on Curious from the beginning though.

I liked the way you worked in Marc and Lincoln's residencies at the Waverly house - I remember you saying that you brought in the occasional male elder townie for spawning purposes, and I'm amused at how subtle you've been about it.

Also, I recently learned what shoegazer music is supposed to be, and to me it sounds like 90's heavy grunge.  I don't get why it's called shoegazer as it doesn't make me want to gaze at my shoes - then again, I am oldish, so these newfangled terms and such confound and confuse me. :P

Offline Trident

• Occult
Re: Eight Ways to Live Forever: The Waverly Immortal Dynasty (Ch. 28, 3/14)
« Reply #226 on: June 08, 2014, 12:48:07 PM »
For the record-I totally saw that divorce coming.  ::)

Pansy looked very pretty in her dress and it was funny how Annette refused to look decent and act decent.

Is that vampire in front of the gifts related to Jo? The nose looks familiar.....

HOLY WATCHER I WAS RIGHT?!

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline Trip

• Challenge Board Assistant
  • Global Moderator
  • Watcher
  • Three Chihuahuas in a Trenchcoat
Re: Eight Ways to Live Forever: The Waverly Immortal Dynasty (Ch. 48, 6/8)
« Reply #227 on: June 08, 2014, 03:26:59 PM »
Now that you mention it, Bronson's looks really are quite pervasive. He is not bad looking at all, either.

I have to agree with Lily on Black Sabbath. :P

Sent from my C6916 using Tapatalk

Bronson was actually one of the least-attractive spouses in the dynasty, in my opinion, but he was still quite a looker. He makes pretty daughters.

I agree with neither of them about Sabbath. I'm all about Dio's work with them. ;)

Yeah, Bronson's bloodline is definitely pretty dominant!  I really liked their relationship, especially how it started.  Julian, too.

It actually took me far too long to realize "wait, he's the nephew of Pansy's boyfriend too!" But they were one of the few couples that started out young, so I liked writing them.

And so the mystery genes are revealed. Way to pull one over on us and deny traditional dynasty conventions, Trip! Plus, Julian gets to have more nooboos this way. Thinking of Loki, did we ever get to see a picture of him all grown up? I'd love to see one. The Bronson genes are crazy strong. The first thing I thought when I saw him was, "Hey, that's Jo's nose! And her dad's!" The ears, too.

To be fair, a lot of the male spouses of the dynasty had kids on the side, and Julian would have been no exception. His genes were far too good to confine to one nooboo.

You're in luck, because I had a picture of Loki lying around for whatever reason. Here he is. Please ignore his awful, game-generated fashion:

And for the sake of comparison, here's a CAS-shot of Samhain, sans makeup:

(The makeup really made a difference with Samhain. It's so weird seeing him without it!)

I knew Jo's nose had to be a Curious one! I guess it could be a Baker nose too, both families have impressive schnozzes. My money has been on Curious from the beginning though.

I liked the way you worked in Marc and Lincoln's residencies at the Waverly house - I remember you saying that you brought in the occasional male elder townie for spawning purposes, and I'm amused at how subtle you've been about it.

Also, I recently learned what shoegazer music is supposed to be, and to me it sounds like 90's heavy grunge.  I don't get why it's called shoegazer as it doesn't make me want to gaze at my shoes - then again, I am oldish, so these newfangled terms and such confound and confuse me. :P

The Baker nose looks better in profile. Bunny's nose and facial structure are my least favorite features on her, but of course Bronson got them. ::)

While I brought elderly men into the house to father more children, "occasional" doesn't describe it well; there were very few times before generation six that I didn't have some man in the house for the sole purpose of making nooboos. Most of it was just not story-significant and just gets mentioned in passing.

Shoegaze was named because it's heavy of guitar effects, which are operated by pedals on the ground. So guitarists playing that type of music looked at their shoes a lot while performing. The More You Know!

HOLY WATCHER I WAS RIGHT?!

That you were! The ears also give it away; I thought I could fool someone into thinking that someone else in Twinbrook was responsible for Jo's big ears (her hair covers them well, but her ears are quite something), but they're Bunny's, through and through.

Chapter 48: One Witness

Annette sat at the breakfast nook, stirring a splash of skim milk into her espresso roast and watching the first of the winter snowflakes fall from the window. Throughout her time in the house, all those years, she drank enough mugs of coffee there to leave a cluster of rings on the counter. Whether it was the second-hand drip machine she got on the cheap when she first came to Twinbrook, or the percolator she got soon after Franco was born, Annette enjoyed her wake-up coffee (because waking up could easily be the afternoon).

She shared coffee with a lot of people in her years, but that morning, one coffee-buddy from the past stuck in her mind. He wasn’t the one she was closest with, since every immortal had coffee with Annette, nor did he bring the most crucial of conversations to the table, because I’m sure that Annette discussed plenty of things about the end of the dynasty over a pot of coffee.

However, a long time before that, Annette still swept her long brown hair back into a high ponytail, and disregarding the new stretch marks all over her torso, her skin was firm and smooth. That morning, when she was still young, she was a new mother with an even newer percolator for her coffee, making it just as her father did. When it came to her story, there was one detail so consistent that it had to be true: her dad made coffee in a percolator. She told it to every immortal when they had their first cup.

On her first morning with the new percolator, Annette almost drank her coffee alone. But as she lifted the mug to her lips, someone broke the silence. He poured himself a cup of coffee and took a sip without stopping for cream and sugar.

“A percolator? Wow. My mum used to make coffee in one, actually. I didn’t know how much I missed it.”

Adjacent to Annette was seated a purple-clad stranger, better known as Harwood. In spite of the two of them splitting the utilities bills ever since Annette first arrived in Twinbrook, their friendship quickly decayed and the two of them could spend weeks without ever crossing paths in the same house.

“Funny seeing you around. My dad always made it this way too. I thought I’d bring a bit of nostalgia home, and I think I need the coffee.” Annette looked back at the nursery, or in its general direction. All was quiet and Franco was sound asleep, “Being a good parent is sleepless work.”

Without a full cup of coffee finished to clear the morning, Harwood was in no mood for Annette’s comments.

“Annette, I am very well aware that I’m a horrible father,” Harwood said, “But I still care about my children. It would be nice to experience the things you will, such as weddings and grandchildren, but at this point, they won’t remember me no matter how much attention I give them.”

“That does sound pretty awful,” she said, staring into the brown abyss of her drink, “Really awful. Does it bother you a lot?”

“Well, let’s just say that I’ve considered stealing your money at night to have science give me a longer life. I would give a lot of money to have some time for a normal marriage and a normal family, but I'm too nice to take what's yours, and I don’t think science has caught up yet anyways. So I will just rot in the ground and hope that the kids will do well without me watching.”

Quite a few years later, Annette sat with a similar cup of coffee on her son’s second wedding day. His future bride, with her black hair and olive skin and Harwood’s name on her birth certificate, was in the middle of one of her sporadic naps. However, Franco was awake and ready to prepare for his big night, starting with a cup of coffee and cream. He approached the table, smiling with a cup of coffee and cream in his hand.

“Well, I hope this is good enough for you,” she said to herself.

“Woah there, Franco,” she said louder, staring at the bit of his chest that peered through his bathrobe, specifically the inked handle of a sword, “You finally got your ink done?”

“Though I’d go with tradition,” he said, smirking.

When Annette said that she got matching tattoos with Bill, Franco loved the idea, but Hannah didn’t have any tattoos of her own. After Julian gave Franco some old newspapers with pictures of Hannah’s parents, he saw the top of Harwood’s old chest piece: a sword. It was that or Sofia’s pink stars, and pink tattoos against pink skin was horribly ill-advised.

“Good job. Nervous about this strange ‘excited’ feeling you finally have?” she asked him.

He smiled shyly.

“Okay, I’ll admit it. I’m pumped,” Franco said, “And she suspects nothing.”

“I do like your surprise-wedding idea, mister. And don’t worry about me. If you want to be alone with her tonight, I have a pint of cherry ice cream and a whole season of It’s Always Sunny reruns to tide me over. Plus, Hephaestus is like a grandkid to me. Of course I’ll keep an eye on him.”

“Thanks, mum.” For one moment, Franco was extremely grateful for everything his mother did for that day. She even brewed the coffee to robust, smooth perfection. He enjoyed his grateful reverie until he heard heavy footsteps down the stairs.

“Now, if you’ll excuse me,” Annette said, “I have something more important to tend to.”

In his tight, violet boxer-shorts, Bronson leaned over in the fridge to get a plate of eggs that Annette left for him. She got a view behind him, with her eyes locked on his muscular frame and the most beautiful rear end of anyone she ever lived with.

“Nice,” she whispered, with an annoyed Franco breathing down her neck.

“I cannot believe you,” he said, “You actually thought it was a splendid idea to let my daughter’s adult boyfriend live with us?”

“Franco, darling, it was a tough decision for me,” she said, before bursting into laughter. “Except it totally wasn’t! The kid is hot, and this is just my way of making sure that stays in the family. Suck it up, kiddo, and work your styling magic on him before Lily comes home from her sleepover at Emma’s. I got the underwear all set, but the rest is your call.”

“I hate your guts,” he snarled, before leading Bronson to the dresser.

“So you’re a headbanger, huh?” Franco asked, in an attempt to be diplomatic and hip.

“Well that’s an outdated term,” Bronson said, “We say ‘metalhead’ now.”

“Okay then. Is leather still a thing?”

“I’ve wanted a good jacket ever since I bought my first Judas Priest record.” Franco then handed him a black leather jacket.

“Black is pretty cliché now,” Bronson said, “You saw my undies. I like violet.”

After a shopping trip, Franco indeed found a studded, violet leather jacket for Bronson. How peculiar. He held Bronson’s curls in with a loose beanie, and finished his work.

While Franco bathed, ironed his formal coat, and made sure that he had all of the rings, a made-over Bronson greeted Lily. In his boxers. Although she whispered “nice!” upon seeing her boyfriend’s new pajamas, the two of them chastely made their way through Lily’s very long math homework assignment for the weekend. They worked through trigonometric identities when Franco and Hannah walked out the door, for something Franco advertised as a leisurely drive around town.

They drove and drove, with some weird packages in the trunk, all the way up to the family’s cemetery at Willowglen Ampitheatre. They trudged through the heavy snow, which was past their ankles.

“The cemetery,” Hannah said, “Are you still crying about Shark? Do you need me here for that?”

“I can do that myself,” Franco said, “But it’s a lovely place that my mum picked out, over here. I always ask myself why she built the wedding chapel at the fishing hole instead of here.”

“Because then she’d have to bury the dead at the fishing hole,” Hannah answered, “And, really, the ‘swimming with the fishes’ pun is too obvious for that to be taken seriously.”

Franco chuckled, covering his mouth with his hand. “I love a lady with a joke. Well, I’d love you if you were humorless too. I mean, god, how many times a day to I tell you that you’re a dreamy spot of sunshine in my life?”

“About a baker’s dozen, but I’m okay if you improve on that.”

“Well! I have a way to improve, if a bit of a different one,” he said.

“Oh, is that the reason you brought the wedding location up?” she asked, as Franco got down on one knee, “You’re finally making the move?”

“Ta-da!” He presented her with the ring, a beautiful band of 24-carat gold inlaid with the biggest, shimmering diamond a sim could elegantly wear, “I guess I’m five decades too late with this, love, but will we finally make things right?”

“Yes! You made it expensive!” she exclaimed.

“Only the best for my darling. So, are you ready?”

“As ready as you are.”

Franco put the ring on her finger. He perfectly sized it without her knowing a thing about a ring being the result, thanks to his mum’s little tip of measuring ring sizes while your significant other sleeps. The diamond sparkled brilliant white in one of the garden lights.

Hannah remained dazzled by the stone on her finger, but she knew that the ring had a longevity of however long it took her to change into a wedding gown.

“If I’m getting this right, you have every intention of marrying me right here, right now,” she said, “Right?”

“Exactly.”

“Did you bring a gown?”

“Babe, I’m the best stylist in Twinbrook. I have your measurements written down in five different places. And I think you’ll love what I found. It’s in the trunk.”

Hannah slipped into the long white gown, accented with an aqua belt and gloves. “Oh Franco,” she said, “You really are a fashion phenomenon.”

“So, are you ready now?” he asked her.

“Absolutely.” He handed her the simple wedding band to get the vows started.

“Wow, I never thought I’d have to do this on the spot,” she said, fidgeting with the ring in her hand, trying to get a grip on it with satin gloves. “What to say? We’ve messed up. Mostly you, but even Ms. Awesome isn’t Ms. Perfect.” She got her grip on the wedding band.

“I promise to condense what should have been decades and decades of awesomeness into however much longer we can do this for,” she said, “You deserve all of that awesome.”

At those words, Franco melted into the goofy smile that every groom in the family had on during their wedding vows. The ring squeezed his finger a bit as Hannah spent a good minute trying to get it on over his leather gloves. Eventually, it tightly compressed his finger, even though his ring size was the biggest one commercially available. The loving look in Hannah’s eyes made him forget about one of his fingers slowly losing circulation.

“I had a bit of time to prepare,” he started. He perfectly picked up the ring he had for Hannah.

“Honey, you were always somewhere between goddess and soulmate for me, from the first time we met. I fell in love with all of you. And I spent years denying it! My simple promise is to not make that mistake again.”

The ring fit over her thin gloves perfectly, and for the few seconds that it took for Franco to make sure it was securely on her finger, Hannah also had the goofy smile, that every bride that wasn’t me had during their vows.

They clutched each other’s hands as husband and wife, looking longingly into the eyes of the other one. Both of their hearts raced upon realizing that they reached their final, intended point.

“Finally,” they whispered in unison.

And they sealed it with a kiss.

While the two of them remained locked in an embrace, tasting each other’s tongues, there was no breeze, but one of the bushes rustled a bit anyways, shaking off the snow from its branches. At first, they both thought it was a squirrel, but the rustling continued until the two of them looked towards the bush. No one was visibly behind it, anyways.

“This night is perfect,” Hannah said, still holding her new husband in an embrace, “Absolutely perfect.”

“Always glad to please, darling,” said Franco.

“Though if we were younger,” she said, “And if our fathers were still alive, then it would be even more perfect. I’d fit into a better wedding dress, and, well, I always wanted to meet my dad. But regardless of that, my dream would be for him to walk me down the aisle.”

“We made some mistakes, but maybe when this whole stupid thing is finished, we can renew our vows and be young and beautiful again, and I’ll buy you the most beautiful wedding dress I can find. We can bring your dad back to watch, and mine too. I promise that, actually.”

“I’ll trust that.” Hannah sat down in the snow, her white gown blending in with the white powder. “Wanna watch the snowfall? Stars and sunsets are so boring now.”

“I’m up for anything with you.” He sat down in the snow too, with his pants half-submerged in the flakes. The snow still fell, falling on the tips of their noses and on top of their heads. The hills surrounding them were covered in beautiful virgin snow, and the willows’ branches turned white from the collecting powder.

“Here’s to life with you, in this lovely place,” said Hannah.

“Here’s to life.” As he started to put his hand around his lovely bride, the bushes stopped rustling.

Their one witness could stop hiding.

Dear old Harwood watched the wedding of his youngest daughter from behind the bushes, as not to disturb her. Perhaps he could have been an official, legal witness, or walked her down the steps of the ampitheatre to the best of his ghostly ability, just to make Hannah’s night a little more perfect. However, she still smiled and melted into her husband’s arms, leaning on his shoulder as the snow continued to fall, absolutely unaware that her father was watching.

A single, spectral tear rolled down his cheek. Harwood couldn’t be more proud.

He decided that it was best to leave the lovebirds alone. He floated up the hill before they suspected a thing, admiring the view of his hometown blanketed in snow. Perhaps he could check on his other elderly, aging children, or their kids. Or maybe, Harwood would just find a good view on a tall hill, and sit up against a tree and take note of what changed in Twinbrook and what stayed the same. What he did that night is lost to history, but whatever he did, he left no damage. He spent his entire night in peace.

Why not? One of his kids finally made it to the altar.

Word Count for this chapter: 2,552
Word Count so far: 75,911

Harwood haunting during their wedding was completely random, but I can't think of a more fitting spectral witness for the event. It was his way of making it up to Hannah for being a deadbeat dad, I guess. He even stayed far enough away as to not distract them. What a good witness!

So that's why I had the flashback at the beginning of the chapter. If the ghost was, say, Amy, I'd have to think of something different. :P
No respect, no chance, cease and desist when I chant-

Forum Rules / Outrun / Defunded

Offline RaiaDraconis

• Crazy Rat Lady
  • Watcher
« Reply #228 on: June 08, 2014, 03:34:19 PM »
That...was perfect. Harwood showing up for the wedding was an amazing stroke of luck.

Offline Shewolf13

• Queen of the Dragons
  • Watcher
  • Wolf or Jessi is fine ^^
    • Wolfie's Writings
« Reply #229 on: June 08, 2014, 05:12:21 PM »
Awwww!  That was so sweet!  Let's call is fate that he was the one to witness it, hm?

Offline Trident

• Occult
« Reply #230 on: June 08, 2014, 06:48:19 PM »
I'm tearing up a little bit here.  :'( The feels, man. The feels.

Offline Rhoxi

• of the Dojos
  • Watcher
« Reply #231 on: June 09, 2014, 08:11:09 PM »

Perfect! I love how the update came full circle. Sad, but sweet and just plain lovely. You're really outdoing yourself, here, Trip.

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline Trip

• Global Moderator
  • Watcher
Re: Eight Ways to Live Forever: The Waverly Immortal Dynasty (Ch. 49, 6/9)
« Reply #232 on: June 10, 2014, 12:05:21 AM »
That...was perfect. Harwood showing up for the wedding was an amazing stroke of luck.

Indeed it was! Once he showed up, it was like my entire chapter wrote itself.

Awwww!  That was so sweet!  Let's call is fate that he was the one to witness it, hm?

Sounds like fate, yes.

I'm tearing up a little bit here.  :'( The feels, man. The feels.

They're really happy feels, though. That's what I felt when writing it, anyways. Harwood is one of my favorite sims, and him getting closure was a good feeling for me too. Plus I've shipped Frannah so hard ever since she was born, and now they get their marriage. :D

Perfect! I love how the update came full circle. Sad, but sweet and just plain lovely. You're really outdoing yourself, here, Trip.

Thank you so much!

Chapter 49: Adorable and Horrible

Franco and Hannah had a weird wedding night. The whole night ran late. They got out of the cemetery well past midnight, and the first rays of sunlight started to light up Twinbrook by the time they were done with their wedding woohoo in the backseat of the car (it’s not like Twinbrook had a quaint bed & breakfast to accommodate them). 6 AM or thereabouts, and the newlyweds dozed off in the backseat, still in their best clothes and leaned up against the car’s door.

“Your mum is weird,” Hannah said.

“Believe me, I know,” Franco said, yawning, “What is she up to now?”

“Well, it’ Heph’s birthday today, and she kept telling me ‘have it in the morning!’ Is that actually what parents do?”

“It’s what we did for Lily, remember? Plus, I miss having a toddler. You’ll see why once you have one.”

“He’s an adorable little man, that’s for sure,” Hannah said, dreamily looking down, “And he’ll make for a good toddler.”

“I hope so too, dear,” Franco said. He sighed to himself, apprehensive and nervous as to what was truly under his stepson’s blankets. However, mischievous, playful, giggling toddlers transcended looks. Yes, it was pretty low for him to try and crush that for his wife. He shut up that morning, right through the birthday cake. Seeing Hannah snuggle her little nooboo for the last time before he grew up into a still-snuggly toddler almost made him tear up, as did seeing Hephaestus squirm in his blanket for the last time. Hannah loved that squirminess about him. She also loved the way his soft nooboo hands squeezed her finger or tried to steal Franco’s glasses.

But, for the first time in ages, Hannah did not laugh at his birthday. She didn’t even sulk. She cheered. As wonderful as new nooboos were, the charm of a wobbly and awkward, partially-bipedal, partially-verbal miniature person eventually won her over. Hannah enjoyed Lily as a toddler, and she even visited Carmen once and begrudgingly admitted that her ugly, not awesome half-sister made some adorable larvae.

Bronson laughed in her place, though.

As for Franco, he stood there in shock. Not at the rush of sparkles that overcame Hephaestus and whisked his blue blanket away--birthday sparkles were nothing new for an old man--but at what sat in front of him on the floor, giggling and smiling as he watched the last falling sparkle.

“Um, I’ll take care of this,” Franco said, scooping up the toddler and heading towards the dresser.

“He likes lilac, I know it!” Hannah said in the distance. She grabbed a slice of cake to treat herself while Franco did what he did best.

“Well then, snugglebug,” he said to Hephaestus, sitting the toddler down on the surface of the dresser, “You’re a lucky little boy.” Franco fixated on the reflection in front of him; of course, Franco himself looked fantastic. He took out a comb to get a stray bit of hair back into place so he could stay fantastic. However, he knew that pretty well. His main focus was on the blond boy sitting on the dresser, fascinated by the two people on the other side of the mirror.

Hephaestus took well to Franco’s fashion advice, though.

The problem with Hephaestus was that he could have turned out horrible or adorable. For the sake of Franco’s ease of mind, he fell into all of the latter, with his mother’s big eyes and delicate jawline, her tiny ears, and her slim, razor-thin nose. All while he pouted just like his father, and looked up at Franco with irises of the unmistakable Bayless deep indigo. Just like Hannah said about his favorite color, Hephaestus smiled and laughed whenever Franco got a lilac shirt out from the dresser. Franco delicately combed Hephaestus’ hair until it fell over his forehead in even shagginess, and considered his work done.

His mother had different ideas. She had a few tubes of costume makeup, and made a few swirls on her son’s face.

“What was that for?” Franco asked.

“Thought I’d do some art just to say I did it,” Hannah said, “...I hope to never do that again.”

Hephaestus didn’t mind. He explored his toes and wiggled them around, as they were finally free from the blankets. He paid no attention to the paint his face.

“He doesn’t seem to mind,” Franco said, “You did a good job, dear.”

With the assurance that he wasn’t the stepfather to an ugly child, Franco stopped merely enjoying Hephaestus’ presence, and then became nigh-inseparable from his wife’s son instead. The son that, in all likeliness, shouldn’t have existed. Hephaestus arrived just in time, for his parents’ age, and dodged every hurdle a growing nooboo could, from a miserable mother to whatever was still in Twinbrook’s water. Franco harped on about Hephaestus being some sort of miracle for him and Hannah.

The infectious laugh of the little tyke was a bonus, too.

Meanwhile, Lily sulked. Franco ceased to give her a hug before school each morning, instead sitting at the xylophone with Hephaestus as the child banged something resembling a tune on the metal bars and barely noticing that his own blood child was gone for the day. Lily came home from school to Hephaestus napping, which was a good sign until she heard squeaking bedsprings in the distance. Curse that “we’re still ‘just married’ and not tired of each other” woohoo.

And if it wasn't that, it was some other kid of his.

If only they thought of this earlier, Lily thought. If only she could change time and push events back for just a few years, she could, if nothing else, turn to Pansy for some comfort and solidarity over the new relationship.

But alone in the strange new family, all Lily had for understanding was Bronson and Sleep’s entire discography in FLAC.

In any other family, all Lily would have to fret about was being replaced in her dad’s heart by a tiny stepbrother. And Hephaestus would otherwise be just a normal little boy, who loved Mozart and toy horses.

“Hannah! Explain your demon spawn,” Lily said, when she saw Hephaestus’ toy horse disappear into smoke, though he was at least as surprised as she was. His little mouth was agape the moment his hands were empty.

While Hannah missed the toy disappearing, she saw it reappear in a flash of light, much to her son’s delight. And she wracked her brain for an explanation. Who was hiding something in the family? What sort of weird swamp magic could Tay have done behind her back anyways? Or, heck, who hexed her nooboo?

Surely, it couldn’t have been Hannah’s little experiment at the alchemy shop, not too long before Hephaestus was conceived.

Nah.

“It’s a sign,” she said, with a nervous smile, “He’s a special little guy, Lily.”

“Take him back,” she said, picking up Hephaestus and nearly forcing him into Hannah’s arms, “I want my family to go back to normal.”

“Tough crap, Lil.”

Furious, she hit Hannah across the face. It was a small slap, but enough to startle Hannah.

“Honey,” Hannah said, raising her hand, “You don’t know how much I’ve practiced this.”

She returned the punishment.

Later that day, Lily stormed around the house, fuming. The sound of her father’s bedsprings started again. That was life, however unfair it was. Bronson was holed up in the bathroom for some reason, either with a lot of sweat to clean off in the bath, or Julian attempted to cook again. Lily knocked on the door.

“Bronson-bear, can you take me to the gym?” she asked.

“Just a second, Lilypad. I’m teaching my future in-law how to take a leak.”

She cracked open the door and was ready to hit Bronson and yell at him until he took her to the gym, until she realized that him cooing over a child was kind of hot. In fact, it could be their own child one day.

“Is he behaving?” she asked.

“I like him,” he said, “And I don’t use those words lightly. Get ready to run.” Bronson jingled the keys to the Motive Mobile.

“Alright, if you can lift for longer than I can run,” Lily said, once they got to the gym, “Then I’ll buy dinner from my allowance. And the other way around if, you know, the other way around happens.”

“Dinner? We took the Motive Mobile.”

“Yeah, but I smelled Gram’s steak tips right as we went out the door, and it made me hungry. I just need to eat away from them for once,” she sighed.

Determined to get the Bistro’s famous bouillabaisse while still being able to afford the new leather jacket she had her eyes on, Lily kept a moderate pace, as much as her active legs wanted to sprint. She slowed down a touch every time she turned her head towards Bronson, as he lifted 100 pounds or more with his arms, and as his muscles rippled under his dark skin and beneath his violet undershirt. He grinned upon seeing Lily’s bare legs, knee-socks and all, stretch and bend as she ran, just to be fair.

“Don’t even care about winning now,” she said to herself.

Unfortunately for Lily, she tired out just as Bronson was in the middle of his last reps. He won by a hair.

“I’ll go easy on you,” he said, playfully slapping her shoulder. However, Lily walked out of the gym alone in the world, according to her teenage mood swings, anyways. She looked out the window as Bronson drove towards the Bistro, when not even the plush seats of the Motive Mobile could lighten her mood.

“We could have Julian join us,” Bronson said, “You like hanging around him, right?”

“Yeah, but…”

“...He’s on a date tonight.”

The car screeched up to the curb of the Bistro. A satiated Bronson instantly starved at the sight of “Mushroom Quiche ALL DAY SPECIAL” on the blackboard outside the doors. Lily stood outside, letting a snowflake fall on the tip of her nose, ignoring it completely. She kicked around a bit of snow, with powdery flakes billowing out.

“Come on , Lilypad, they have bouillabaisse, just like you wanted,” he said.

“Yeah,” she said, weakly.

“Something about Hephaestus?” he asked, “I think he’s cute, but it’s not like you have to.”

“I just don’t know how to feel about this family,” she said, holding her stomach in a small ache. Hunger. Brothers, bad blood, blue eyes filling her pit. Bouillabaisse, Bronson, blessings to fill it.

All she needed was Hannah’s forgiveness, but that seemed so distant when Lily dug her spoon into the fresh-cooked bouillabaisse.

Word Count for this chapter: 1,785
Word Count so far: 77,696

Yeah, it took Lily a while to warm up to her new family in the game as well. And I should mention that Bronson was inappropriate and mean-spirited, but he absolutely loved kids.

Also, Hephaestus might need a "he's half-Bayless, really!!" disclaimer every chapter. It's weird, because he is recognizably a Bayless (he looked eerily like Tay as a child), but he's too cute for people to readily believe me about it. ;)

Now, why was he born a witch? I once ran into a bug in my game when a child got supernatural status from their grandparents, and unfortunately for me, both of Tay's parents were deceased vampires. Having a child born into the house as a vampire would be an obvious problem. So I made Tay and Hannah into witches in hopes of avoiding the problem. I did, and I got a witch out of it!

Offline RaiaDraconis

• Crazy Rat Lady
  • Watcher
« Reply #233 on: June 10, 2014, 12:24:51 AM »
All right, that part about Bronson teaching Heph "how to take a leak" seriously cracked me up. :P

And Heph is adorable! I love that he managed to get something of Tay, even if just the eye color and the lips. There is much to be said for not inheriting the family ears. :P

Offline Hallucination

• Occult
  • Resident Legacy Addict
« Reply #234 on: June 10, 2014, 01:00:24 AM »
I need to stop reading while sleep-deprived. My godmother calls me Lilypad and I was momentarily confused every time I read it. Anyway, Hannah's a lovely elder and Hephaestus is quite adorable, although I always found Tay cute in a clownish, Mr. Potato Head-type way. And WOW are the Waverlys good at alienating people they care about.
I'm not pedantic! I just believe in precision of language.

Green Witch Legacy

Offline linmayu

• Townie
  • Founding Member of the Arlo Bunch Fan Club
    • What Happens In Twinbrook Stays In Twinbrook
« Reply #235 on: June 10, 2014, 02:39:24 AM »
Hahaha, I loved the birthday party full of inappropriate simmies laughing. :D  That must have been a fun part of the dynasty to play!

Offline Shewolf13

• Queen of the Dragons
  • Watcher
    • Wolfie's Writings
« Reply #236 on: June 10, 2014, 03:05:23 AM »
...And WOW are the Waverlys good at alienating people they care about.

That was my first thought upon reading this as well XD They certainly don't do anything by halves do they?  Hephaestus is adorable.  And I do love the fact that Franco dotes on him so.

Offline Trip

• Global Moderator
  • Watcher
Re: Eight Ways to Live Forever: The Waverly Immortal Dynasty (Ch. 50, 6/10)
« Reply #237 on: June 10, 2014, 09:59:12 PM »
All right, that part about Bronson teaching Heph "how to take a leak" seriously cracked me up. :P

And Heph is adorable! I love that he managed to get something of Tay, even if just the eye color and the lips. There is much to be said for not inheriting the family ears. :P

It's the perfect inappropriate way to train your toddlers. ;)

He was indeed adorable; the only thing I would have minded from his father was the facial structure and ears, but looking more like the insanely gorgeous Hannah isn't a bad thing at all.

I need to stop reading while sleep-deprived. My godmother calls me Lilypad and I was momentarily confused every time I read it. Anyway, Hannah's a lovely elder and Hephaestus is quite adorable, although I always found Tay cute in a clownish, Mr. Potato Head-type way. And WOW are the Waverlys good at alienating people they care about.

Heh. I actually named Lily after binging on How I Met Your Mother, and I lifted the Lilypad nickname from there. I should have known that real life people would have used it too.

Tay's features are really charming in their ugliness, but I'll admit, Bronson's big ears in the family were bad enough. No need to add to it. :P

Alienation is their specialty.

Hahaha, I loved the birthday party full of inappropriate simmies laughing. :D  That must have been a fun part of the dynasty to play!

Oh it was. Every immortal got one weird, bad trait that was great to play with, but all of my inappropriate sims were the best. :D

That was my first thought upon reading this as well XD They certainly don't do anything by halves do they?  Hephaestus is adorable.  And I do love the fact that Franco dotes on him so.

Franco was such a good stepdad. It was his only good move with dealing with the extended family. :P

Chapter 50: Ch-Ch-Chainsaw

Winter continued on and on, until it covered everything from the Spanish moss hanging from the trees to the cattails in white flakes. The whole schoolyard was blanketed in deep snow, but school still went on as consistently as the winter did, leaving Lily with the constant burden of homework and helping her slightly-younger half-siblings get adjusted to high school.

While she and Jane Kindle made the best dodgeball team captains in gym class, Jane reminded Lily of someone else. She was chubby. Black-haired. Scowling. Pink. Very little connected her to Carmen, besides her surname and the tiny, upturned nose.

All it did was remind Lily that her father was somewhere else entirely.

With someone else’s sprogs.

To be fair, if things went better for Pansy and Franco, and if the age gap was closed somewhat between them, Lily could have experienced that same thing with a little blood sibling. But while a blood sibling would be part of a natural, healthy family, the Waverlys were never that, and Lily still came home to little attention pointed towards her, and all of it heaped on Hephaestus instead, even if it was the life lessons to make him more of a functioning little worm.

And while Lily didn’t care for Hannah, Hannah still always told her to turn down that blasted metal she played. To stop sculpting because she was tired of cleaning up clay dust or acknowledging that it existed. Hannah made not-so-secret digs at Lily’s ripped jeans when she herself was 15 feet away, which was enough to even Annette to say “cut the crap and be polite to her.”

Franco, for a while, had no comments on his wife’s behavior. He divided his time between toddlers and painting, painting and toddlers, and when prodded to talk some sense into Hannah, he said “maybe she just needs to get out of the house. Plus, a lot of people would still pay to see her in concert.”

So she did.

Those long nights at the park kept Hannah out of the house for hours at a time, which put a bigger childcare burden on Franco, but it was just a gentle, 5-pound dumbbell at its worst. However, Lily felt more like Bronson did after relaxing his hold on a 150-pound barbell, with that woman out of the house.

More time to sculpt, right?

Plus, Hephaestus started to get more independent, spending hours practicing for domestic life with the dolls, and putting watcher-knows-what in his mouth. They never cleaned those dolls.

So, more time to sculpt, even during family gatherings. Lily was caught in a trance while she wielded her blade and chisel, finally moving towards wood. Julian gained a lot of Shark’s mentality; no ice sculpting until she’s ready, even though Lily’s fingers metaphorically burned and she needed the ice to cool them. But, in spite of the risk of splinters, Julian got her a few wood blocks to chop away at. Her forms became smoother in cherrywood than they were in stoneware, and each little sliver of wood sloughed off from the block put her in her own sculpting realm.

She almost missed the awesome optical illusion that Tristan and Selene spent weeks trying to pull off, just to cheer Lily up. Lily did a whole research project on optical illusions and sleight-of-hand to cap off her sophomore year, though she initially laughed off any suggestions to make them a serious hobby for herself.

“Lily, we didn’t give up our lunch breaks for this!” Tristan whined. Lily turned her head back to see the appearance of his arm going through Selene.

“Good job,” she said, listlessly, muttering as she chipped away at the cheekbone of the bust she was sculpting. Selene removed the fake arm and stormed off. Snow still fell, as usual, and a plow passed by, adding to the snowbanks. Lily was a few door away from bolting outside and sticking her hands and head into the snow, just to pretend that, maybe, she was finally allowed near an ice block and a buzzing chainsaw.

But no, she still had her block of mahogany, half-finished.

At least it was better than Jane’s new idea of party fun. That chemistry assignment still sat incomplete in Lily’s binder.

A call for presents. Lily waited and sometimes talked to Tristan as everyone approached the pile of gifts to see who was generous enough to remember them. The whole family made themselves known…

...From Julian’s eldest son, Horace…

...to Shark’s youngest daughter, Sheena…

...to Franco’s own little Nellie, a schoolyard bully who Lily had to admit was quite a cutie-pie.

Even Annette opened a box from Bronson; some chocolate-covered ginger bits. She spent the next few days eating them, while Bronson discretely threw away the skimpy briefs that Annette bought him. She got them in black; how ignorant.

Lily was one of the last guests to be called. A large orange box sat right in the center.

“Oh boy, oh boy,” she cheered. Maybe Bronson saved her from having to buy a new leather jacket herself, or grandma had tickets for an all expenses paid-trip to Starlight Shores, but the box was far too big for that; over two feet in length! And Lily picked it up; almost heaving at the 30 pounds of whatever was in there. Nothing shook around, so it was solid.

Regardless of the weight, she tore off the wrapping paper in two seconds, to an undamaged box with red and black ink. A Diamond King 4000 Heavy-Duty chainsaw, one of the best on the market, and the ice sculptor’s top choice in chainsaws.

“Thanks Julian!” she said, right in his direction, but he just shrugged.

“I went chocolate shopping with Bronson and got you some cranberries instead,” Julian said, “Who thought it was a good idea to get a teenager a chainsaw?”

Poor Julian. Lily got her chainsaw anyways, and she ran to the sculpting room once the party showed the slightest sign of dissipating, revving up the chainsaw for the first time to hear the signature Diamond purr as it sliced through ice as easily as if it was an overripe mango. She even read the name engraved on the side, her name. Someone thought of her, probably Bronson...until Bronson gave her his actual gift of more chocolate-covered cranberries. Grandma Annette, until she gave Lily a check to go towards her future university tuition.

It then occurred to Lily to actually check the tag on the wrapping paper.

To: Lily

Keep doing your thing!

“Holy crap,” Lily whispered, “I’m so sorry.” Hannah wasn’t in the room to hear it, though. Lily turned towards the nursery, where Hannah indeed was.

She was too busy to thank and be apologized to, instead enjoying the smell of nooboo shampoo and her son’s smile and fascination with soap suds, of course. Hannah had a gig the next day as well, and then more childcare. Singing and toddlers, toddlers and singing. Did she have time for her husband between all of that? Heck, where did she even find time to pick out a chainsaw?

Lily woke up early the next morning to find out that school was finally canceled because of the snow, but it was nothing that the Motive Mobile couldn’t plow through. She polished off her ice skates and Bronson’s too, because the ice rink at the park was wide open no matter what school did.

While Lily could run a half-marathon and Bronson got close to benching 200 pounds, approximately his own weight, neither of them had the balance needed to glide across the ice on a thin blade for longer than a couple minutes. Regardless, they both tried to hold on to each other and spin slowly, instead of zooming around in laps and falling over on turns.

She held on to Bronson’s hands tightly, his tough squeeze and big fingers being an all-too-rare feeling. She positioned her skates at a slight angle, until they spun, almost 90 degrees.

With one wrong move of his right foot, Bronson sent both of them crashing on the ice, right on his rear, right of her tummy.

“I mean, we could try skiing,” he said.

“Better yet, doesn’t your mum work at the Bistro?” Lily asked.

“Food again? You really are a teenager.”

“No, I need her to cut me a different sort of deal. Arranging a romantic evening for a special someone.”

“God, Lily, are we even allowed to do that? I look like a creep already.”

“No, silly, not for us.” She caught sight of his beautiful blue eyes, again, as he lifted himself from the ice. “Well, not right now. But right now, I know two people who could use it.”

That night, Hannah fluffed her pillow, but felt something underneath it instead, even though it was nothing thicker than oaktag. She groped around underneath it, until feeling the smooth plastic of a giftcard. The slightly-rougher oaktag. A bit of glitter around the edges of it.

“What is happening now?” Franco said, as Hannah’s movement roused him from his sleep.

“It’s a card.” She finally retrieved it from under her pillow.

Waverly Fine Dining Bistro
200 Simoleons

“Crap, Franco, 200 simoleons to the Bistro? We can almost get the best bottle of nectar there with that.”

From Lily.
To my dad and woman he loves!
Good for one night out, plus childcare from yours truly.

“Can we actually make it happen?” Franco asked, until he read what Lily wrote. “Never mind. Tomorrow night sounds great, love.” He gave Hannah a kiss on top of her head, and slept soundly for the entire night.

While it wasn’t face-to-face confrontation, Lily and Hannah found some appreciation for each other with the exchange of chainsaws and experimental ceviche recipes. The next night, Franco dressed in his best and Hannah got dressed, braving yet another snowstorm for the prize of flavorful food and two glasses of fine nectar.

Franco led the way, entranced by the smooth jazz coming out the door. Yes, it was smooth jazz night! Even Hannah had to admit she liked such strange "artsy" music. Lily made a reservation in their name, for a table right near the bar. The two of them had three hours to relax and enjoy each other as a couple, plus another two when they shared the impulse idea to go to a midnight screening of Beach Glass, a new arthouse film that both critics and Franco could not shut up about.

But with forty minutes left until midnight, the two of them acted like children again, not quite stooping down to playing tag, but they formed a snowman outside of the restaurant.

While Hannah fell asleep out of boredom, resting her head on Franco’s shoulder as he critically watched the film, Lily was stuck with Hephaestus at home.

And as it turned out, he played with The Claw as well as any toddler did. Lily laughed along with him as she tickled his belly. He had a big smile too, with that wide, Bayless mouth. Cute. Thanks to Franco’s lessons, he had simple sentences mastered. So Lily propped Hephaestus up on her hip to hold him up, and had a conversation about the dollhouse. She sat at the other side of the pegbox as he had a perfect run of getting the blocks into the right holes.

Hey, he was family. We Waverlys transcended the idea of blood family from the start, and Hephaestus was just next in line as one of those children who was family in every sense but blood.

You don’t need blood to form bonds, and Hephaestus was one of many to tie himself to the family by merely living with them and being a charmer. Family ties aren’t always made of blood vessels. Just twine in good cases, and barbed wire in others.

I think we had trouble telling apart twine from barbed wire, though.

Word Count for this chapter: 1,991
Word Count so far: 79,687

Offline RaiaDraconis

• Crazy Rat Lady
  • Watcher
« Reply #238 on: June 10, 2014, 10:04:35 PM »
So Lily and Hannah have made their peace...in that special, disjointed Waverly way. :P

And hey, eventually those toddler-handling skills ought to come in quite handy to Lily.

Offline Shewolf13

• Queen of the Dragons
  • Watcher
    • Wolfie's Writings
« Reply #239 on: June 10, 2014, 10:57:27 PM »
That was so sweet!  I love that last shot of Lily and Heph.  So cute!