Author Topic: Ghost Hunter Bingo II: Let the Spirit Move You  (Read 39255 times)

Offline Deklitch

• Nemesis of Reality
  • Watcher
  • Iceland has over 50 words for snow!
Re: Ghost Hunter Bingo II: Let the Spirit Move You
« Reply #120 on: April 16, 2014, 08:59:16 AM »
Congrats Blackrosea on your score.

Right then, I chose Brave, Night Owl, Bookworm, Genius and Ambitious as Red Shirt's traits. I plopped down in Sunset Valley right next to the Bunches house. I didn't use coffee beans, after my misadventure with them in the Bunch file. I built a wall and put two cheap counters on the lot, as well as an alarm. I put my camera down on one of the counters. Then I sent Mr Shirt to one of the local gardening spots to pick fruit and veges and then off to take a lesson in logic (I was lucky in that it was the cheap lesson that day) and then to the library to read up on logic. My guy slept mainly during the day time and always at the fire station. I managed to pick up four rewards
- Spooky Trophy
- Spirit Medal
- Paranormal Medal
- Mayor's Award
LTRs I had were inappropriate but in a good way, profession sim booster, entrepreneurial mindset, meditative trance sleep and steel bladder.

122 spirits were caught. Quite early on, Red Shirt caught an evil ancient spirit (like in the 2nd night, the only evil spirit he caught) and I also caught a single wrathful spirit. I used my four spares to complete the Ancient, evil, old and frightened bingos on my first bingo card, to go with the jealous, kind and friendly bingos I completed with ghosts on that card. I managed to bingo Friendly on all six cards, and Kind on the first four cards. Young spirits, whether Lost, Frightened, Friendly or Kind were the ghosts I caught most often, followed by Friendly and Kind old ghosts.

Thanks to Pam for creating the bingo cards.

Offline ratchie

• Global Moderator
  • Watcher
« Reply #121 on: April 16, 2014, 09:18:15 AM »
I beat my score from the last time we did this challenge so I was happy on a personal level. I did wonder if having different traits would make a difference to which ghosts a Sim got. I had what felt like a billion kind and friendly ghosts so I wondered if having the evil trait would bring out the evil ghosts.
I did debate testing this theory but then I went on holiday for a week and decided not to.

Congratulations to Blackrosea for a hard fought victory and well done to everyone who played.

All together now"We ain't afraid of no ghosts!"

Rachel
Please follow the forum rules.

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline Tandrael

• Townie
« Reply #122 on: April 16, 2014, 09:44:21 AM »
Congrats Blackrosea!

Wow, great strategies everyone! I also gave my sim the "Klepto" trait so she would get a car soon and not have to spend money on it! She also swiped a toilet and a shower… hehehe, so bad she couldn't swipe a bed!

I read what "Largo the Stampede" did some years ago, then I did a practice run trying to follow his steps but first, I don't know why, my Sim with the "slob" trait DID get a bad moodlet from being dirty! So I ended giving her different trait from Largo's. My idea was to, like Largo, master the career ASAP, and from there just go scan for ghosts everywhere, and that I did, only that ancient and evil ghost are so hard to get!

Oh, and the other doubt I have is with the coffee beans: how do they work? If my Sim ate them when she wasn't hungry enough she would get sick and not get the benefits from them so I had to wait for her to be hungry and at that time she was also a bit tired so she would eat the bean and get the boost but the bar would still be yellow. After a while she would get the bad moodlet that says something like "caffeine crash", sweetgrass or another bean would make it go away, but again, if she wasn't hungry enough she would get sick instead of energetic… so she really had to go sleep or nap for a while! I just don't know how you guys can have a Sim awake just on coffee beans, it is just not working for me! I guess my Sims are like me: that I just crash even if I had coffee!!! Hahaha
ˇPura vida!

Offline MarianT

• Global Moderator
  • Watcher
  • Everything in life is here to drive you crazy. R.T
« Reply #123 on: April 16, 2014, 10:38:34 AM »
Congrats, Blackrosea!

I didn't realize that reading logic books at the library would give you such a boost! That's handy to know for future challenges.
When the Zombies Come(Completed)--100 Nooboos Nabbed

Enjoy writing stories? Please check the Rules for Stories before posting.

Offline MomOfMany

• Immortal
« Reply #124 on: April 16, 2014, 10:45:47 AM »
Congrats Blackrosea!

I did just like Tandrael! I read up on Largos win and tried to reciprocate that as much as I could. I also used night owl instead of slob as the 10 moodlet from not showering didn't really matter and it was canceled out when my sim was up all night from the night owl moodlet. I also did loves the heat instead of outdoors because it helped my sim not to combust from heat or get sunburnt. I bought the cheapest but best bed and the cheapest good vehicle. I don't know how to work the coffee beans either so didn't use them. My sim always crash after and they usually get nauseous so it was just a lose lose to me. I also thought about ratchies idea but didn't get to test it. I loaded up on apples and limes from the garden in Twinbrook for food. I only did apples and limes though because you get 4 most harvests to I didn't have to harvest as much! I ended up with 18 of each and that was plenty!  I too got an evil ancient spirit early on but never again! I seemed to get the same young ghosts over and over!

Offline Blackrosea

• Immortal
« Reply #125 on: April 16, 2014, 01:09:21 PM »
Thank you everyone for the Congratulations. I am so excited that so many people participated in this challenge. I will have a detailed report for everyone soon :)

I will also answer some of the questions in another post that people were wondering about as well when I have a little time.

Great job everyone that participate. This is one of my favorite Professions in Sims 3.

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline mayayeti72

• Llama Wrangler
« Reply #127 on: April 16, 2014, 04:41:23 PM »
If you eat the Maui Beans they don't make you nauseous and don't make you crash. I just waited till I was hungry before eating one so I didn't get the overstuffed moodlet. I only ever had the negative coffee breath moodlet. Yes, my energy bar was totally in the red almost the whole time. But because I was having a blast and fulfilling wishes all the time and making new friends by chatting up the ghosts, my overall mood was always in the green. Then once I fulfilled my lifetime wish at the end of Week 1, my mood bar was totally green (elated) for the rest of Week 2 even though my energy bar was red.

Offline Blackrosea

• Immortal
« Reply #128 on: April 16, 2014, 06:38:39 PM »
Well this was a fun challenge for me. I love the Ghost Hunting Profession. I did about 30 test files, with 10 of them being completed all the way through. The others, I would quit when I saw it wasn't working out well. I tested a lot of different things and finally found a combo that worked for me. The jobs were mainly strategy based, the bingos with ghosts were purely luck. I captured a total of 316 ghosts. Along with the normal high amount of captures of kind, friendly, and frightened ghost, I was also getting a high number of Young Jealous ghosts. I never got any Evil Ancient, or many Ancients at all (except Kind, Friendly and a few Frightened). In my practice files in Moonlight Falls I never got that many. It might be where I was doing my practice file. I made a last minute decision to change to Sunset Valley for my final file Instead of Moonlight Falls. because I was not in the mood to deal with all the various "bugs and problems" I was having in Moonlight Falls. Moonlight Falls did have a lot of ghosts to scan for, so I never ran out of ghosts to capture at all.

Before I started my file I turned off the following expansions: Seasons and Into the Future (because of the bug where opportunities wont fire for you)

Dean Winchester had the following traits, LTW, etc.

Traits:  Genius
            Ambitious
            Bookworm    This trait and the genius in the library made leveling logic super fast, which with basil made leveling the profession super fast.
            Loves the Outdoors
            Brave
After I fulfilled my LTW (Paranormal Profiteer) I used the Midlife Crisis LTR to change Genius and Bookworm to Slob (no negative moodlet if i didn't shower) and Loner (for the Enjoying Solitude 15 moodlet you would get).

Lifetime Wish:  Paranormal Profiteer

World played in: Sunset Valley (this was a last minute decision because I was tired of the bugs and problems I was having in Moonlight Falls).

Simoleons I spent:

I bought the cheapest Lot I could find because I would not have anything on the lot (so no bills) and put my camera and my University kit in my family inventory. I joined the Architectural Design Profession job right away. Bought a Broom stand (put it in family inventory as well) and the fastest broom (speed 7) the Zoomsweeper Pegasus and a portable radio Purr Purr Purr Stereo. I also was able to get a Potent Skill Booster and a Wish Enhancing Serum from the Elixir Store. Later in the week, I bought a Invigorate and Potent Invigorate and used these on Week 2 Thursday night and early Friday morning.

Opportunities:

I received the Best Haunted House Ever Opportunity in my final file. I used 2 ghost worth 900 each and 3 ghosts worth 600 each. I had basil active so instead of getting 10,000 for the 5 ghost I got 11,000. In all my test files, I only got 1 opportunity. I placed my highest spirits in my family Inventory so they wouldn't depreciate and hoped I get lucky for an opportunity.

Service Rewards:

Ghost Hunting Key to Sunset Valley
Spooky Trophy
Ghost Hunting Spirit Medal
Ghost Hunting Paranormal Medal
Paranormal Memento
Ghost Hunting Bravery Ribbon

Bingos:

I used my service rewards for (2) Wrathful Young, (1) Jealous Ancient, (1) Evil Old, (2) Evil Ancient. These gave me 2 full bingo cards and 4 Kind across, 4 Friendly across, (3) Frightened across for a total of 139. I didn't get as many bingos on my final file as I did on my test files.

Playing my file:

I got the architect profession as soon as I landed in Sunset Valley. I bought a broom stand and the fastest broom. Also bought a portable radio for the library. Then I went to the laundry mat, put clothes in then "ran" across the street to the elixir shop. Bought a Potent Skill Booster. Went back to move the clothes to the dryer. Then went to the consignment store, bought a level 2 logic book on sale. Then went back to get my laundry from the dryer. Went to the grocery store bought 2 Sweet grass (to cure the sometime nauseous from eating herbs and coffee beans), 80 Maui beans (stay awake for 3 hours without crashing) and 60 basil (sometimes have to eat more than one to get them to take) for 10% more on opportunities (if I got any opportunities), and also increased job experience increase by 5%. Then went to the bookstore and bought a level 1 Logic book (So I didn't have to get up and put the book away all the time to eat basil or coffee bean) and a level 3 Logic book.

Then I went to the library and used the computer to join the Ghost Hunter profession. I sat in one of the red chairs in the main entrance and placed my portable radio on the coffee table and just read them, eating basil when the buff would wear off. My first lifetime Reward was the Strong Stomach (2000 points) so I could eat as many coffee beans and herbs I wanted without getting nauseous. I used the Wish Enhancing Serum when I was able to buy one in the elixir store at 5pm (the elixir store refreshes their available elixirs at 5pm everyday). When I got 10,000 points, I bought the LTR Multi-tasker to help with experience earned and the 5% from the basil my experience leveled quickly along with the library buff (If you are doing a chess challenge you want to level on a computer with Computer wiz because this gives you experience playing against other chess players in matches). At 5pm, when I started my first night of jobs (around level 7 of logic and Level 6 in my career) I drank the Potent Skill Booster Elixir which leveled my logic to level 9 and my career to level 8. I bought the Profession Simoleon Booster to increase the job payout of every job I did. After I finished the first nights jobs, I went back to the library eating basil and coffee beans until I maxed Logic on Week 1 Tuesday 5:45 AM and maxed Ghost Hunter career on Week 1 Wednesday 7:08 AM. I stood in the library for the added moodlets and just scanned for ghosts over and over. When I got my LTW completed, I bought Steel Bladder, Dirt Defiant, Mid-life Crisis (to change my traits since I didnt need logic or bookworm anymore), and then Opportunistic later in the day (just in case I got an opportunity)

All spirits I sold from inventory because I did not need any happiness points and saved on time going to the science lab to donate them since they are the same amount. Leveling the Ghost Hunter Profession doesn't give an increase in captured ghost value.

Then I just did jobs and looked for ghosts using basil and coffee beans. Right before midnight, I sell any ghosts I had in my inventory so they didn't depreciate. After you max Ghost Hunter Profession, your stipend each week wont get bigger, but if you level your job each new level, it will increase the amount paid for each job performed.

Things I learned with all my test files:

Even with the brave trait, my Sim would stop what they were doing when they saw a ghost. In Moonlight Falls it was irritating because the Goth ghosts would interrupt my Sim as he read in the Library if they got near him. Sometimes he would ignore them, but without the bravery trait he would stop every time they got near.

Doing the Ghostly Presence job was the most irritating and time consuming job for me. In my test file, I got many of this job in Moonlight Falls. I would go to the job, see how many ghost I had to find, if it was 1 I would do the job, if it was 2, i would try to do the job but if it was taking to long I would stop and just start looking for ghosts in the town. Based on the practice file I decided to use the following priority in my jobs for the night: 1) Spirit Invasion,  2) poltergeist invasion, 3) Angry Ghost Invasion, 4) Ghostly Presence if it was 1 ghost to find. I did not do any Paranormal Investigations based on the 5 or 6 hours it took to complete them. The Angry Ghost Invasion job I found out it was quicker to banish them then try to talk to them. I also noticed if my social need was low I end up getting  more of these jobs than the Ghostly Presence. In my final file in Sunset Vally, I only had 3 of the Ghostly Presence jobs, but a lot more of the angry ghost jobs. I never got a Paranormal Investigation in my final file. In all my test file I got a total of 3 of these. They took about 5 to 6 hours and I felt my time was better used scanning for ghosts

Offline Metropolis Man

• Tournament/Dynasty Coordinator
  • Administrator
  • Watcher
« Reply #129 on: April 16, 2014, 07:10:08 PM »
Wow, that is an amazing amount of information, Blackrosea. Thank you so much. It's pretty obvious that you did so much planning and so many test files (30!). Well done...congrats!

Offline MomOfMany

• Immortal
« Reply #130 on: April 17, 2014, 09:11:58 AM »
Did you by chance test if evil helps you find evil spirits or anything else? I am curious if that would help and since you did many test files thought maybe you tested it.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk

Offline jesirose

• Occult
« Reply #131 on: April 17, 2014, 09:33:57 AM »
Man, I was mistakenly under the impression that we could not use herbs, coffee, etc, because that's been a rule in so many other challenges. My bad. I think for my own satisfaction I'm going to replay the challenge knowing that now, because I thought I was doing pretty good. :)
- Jessica

Offline KRae

• Watcher
« Reply #132 on: April 17, 2014, 09:38:16 AM »
I'm thinking of replaying to test the evil trait theory. This is such a quick fun challenge, why not?

Offline Blackrosea

• Immortal
« Reply #133 on: April 17, 2014, 02:54:10 PM »
Did you by chance test if evil helps you find evil spirits or anything else? I am curious if that would help and since you did many test files thought maybe you tested it.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk

No, I did not test the Evil trait. I personally think they are rare ghosts. If you find out something, I love to hear what the result is :)

Offline Blackrosea

• Immortal
« Reply #134 on: April 17, 2014, 02:57:22 PM »
Man, I was mistakenly under the impression that we could not use herbs, coffee, etc, because that's been a rule in so many other challenges.

We will always state if something is off limits. If the rule set does not ban something, and it isn't addressed in the 2014 Tournament General Rules, then please feel free to PM the challenge team with your questions if you are unsure of something.  :)

anything