Author Topic: Bug Thread for Server Move  (Read 9418 times)

Offline JudesSims

• Sim Addict - and Proud of It!
  • Watcher
Re: Bug Thread for Server Move
« Reply #15 on: July 19, 2014, 07:06:30 PM »
TapaTalk is working fine for me now. Thanks, Carl!

Offline Trip

• Challenge Board Assistant
  • Global Moderator
  • Watcher
  • Three Chihuahuas in a Trenchcoat
« Reply #16 on: July 19, 2014, 07:40:06 PM »
On mobile, I kept getting errors when logging in to the regular site (said I had an incorrect username when I didn't). Tapatalk is working well, though!

Haven't tried it on my proper laptop yet.
No respect, no chance, cease and desist when I chant-

Forum Rules / Outrun / Defunded

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline Carl

• Webmaster
  • Administrator
  • Watcher
    • Carl's Sims 4 Guide
« Reply #17 on: July 19, 2014, 08:19:16 PM »
However, the bug I mentioned previously about being kicked and forced to log in again after clicking on a thread, then clicking either "view unread posts" and "view new replies to your posts" is still there. I'd like to add that when that bug happens, I'm using Safari to manually access the site, and I'm using an iPod Touch 4G (which admittedly is breaking down software wise over the years I've had it and crashing apps is pretty normal, so that may be a factor).

I changed the way SMF stores Cookies and wonder if that might have helped.

Offline symphonicanima

• Nova Salerix
  • Llama Wrangler
  • Origin ID: symphonicanima
« Reply #18 on: July 19, 2014, 08:32:44 PM »
Seems like everything's working just fine now, Carl! Thanks! :)

Offline Carl

• Webmaster
  • Administrator
  • Watcher
    • Carl's Sims 4 Guide
« Reply #19 on: July 19, 2014, 10:00:02 PM »
That's great to hear. I'm taking a break from this job to let some reports pile up. I'm aware of issues with comments so just disabled them for The Sims 3 site. Hopefully, things are as smooth as we think and the job is largely done. More and more people should be propagating here as time goes by. I only recently got www to lead me here, it only worked without.

I'll pop up in this thread if I'll be tinkering, so that people know I'm aware (and the cause) of any stability issues.

Offline _Annika_

• Immortal
« Reply #20 on: July 20, 2014, 12:57:47 AM »
I forgot my password and tried clicking the link to send me a password, using both my username and my email adress, but the reset email did not show up. Thankfully I found out how to find my browser's stored passwords. Otherwise I had no idea how to contact someone to send an email to get it reset. I'm not sure if this is because of the new server or not though.

Offline Twinmum

• Building inspector and trouble shooter
  • Global Moderator
  • Watcher
« Reply #21 on: July 20, 2014, 02:06:53 AM »
I've noticed that we haven't had any new members join since your testing one Carl. I wondered if maybe there was some sort of problem because we usually get a number of new members each day. I was going to use my second email to just try the process, but it won't let me log out of this account, comes up with the message...

Unable to verify referring url. Please go back and try again.
Have you read the Forum Rules?
And please try to remember Capitals, Commas and Apostrophes when you post.
Check out  Twinmum's creations on the Gallery for Sims 4 creations and Twinsom Realty for my Sims 3 Creations
For something non Sims - check out the miniatures I make at MiniisByTwinmum

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline _Annika_

• Immortal
« Reply #22 on: July 20, 2014, 03:04:12 AM »
I had that message come up a couple of times when I tried too soon to send the reset email again.

Offline Twinmum

• Building inspector and trouble shooter
  • Global Moderator
  • Watcher
« Reply #23 on: July 20, 2014, 05:08:37 AM »
OK, it's letting me log out now, in fact it's logging me out every time I leave the page or close my browser. I'm having to log in every time I come here even though I have it set to be logged in forever. I did try to start a test account but I'm still waiting for the email to finalize things, but that could just be because it's a different email that I have re-directed to my main account. Another thing, I don't think it's sending out email notifications when someone replies to a thread.

**update. Still no email to verify the test account. I even tried to log on and it told me i needed to verify my email, so I requested another email be sent, but it hasn't arrived either. Waiting for someone to reply in one of the threads I'm following to see if it does or doesn't send out a notification.

**extra edit.. nope, not sending emails notifications when someone has replied to a thread
Have you read the Forum Rules?
And please try to remember Capitals, Commas and Apostrophes when you post.
Check out  Twinmum's creations on the Gallery for Sims 4 creations and Twinsom Realty for my Sims 3 Creations
For something non Sims - check out the miniatures I make at MiniisByTwinmum

Offline Carl

• Webmaster
  • Administrator
  • Watcher
    • Carl's Sims 4 Guide
« Reply #24 on: July 20, 2014, 11:20:45 AM »
*sigh* I really like Google, but when I login to the nice Forum email I made to send these notifications and they call it spam, I have to take them down a peg. It wasn't allowing any emails to be sent at all, and continuing to use their service would be risking that happening again. Therefore, I'll have to look at the server and set up an email program for the Forum.

Edit: Scratch all I wrote. Ok I've got it backward. I'd Enabled cookies on your end. So if you're getting logged out now, it's because your cookies are off. Search how to turn cookies on for your particular browser and see if it's a fix? This will at least guide me in a direction for a fix. I MAY have to go back to how it was, where the cookies were stored on the server side, but it's less efficient, particularly for mobile users.

Offline Carl

• Webmaster
  • Administrator
  • Watcher
    • Carl's Sims 4 Guide
« Reply #25 on: July 20, 2014, 01:35:36 PM »
I myself was just logged out from the cookie thing, so I'm afraid your problem may be back, symphonicanima. Let me know.

I think it's possible emails are being received now. My test account just got its confirmation email reminder. I just set up an account with a provider that lets me send thousands of emails per month, without bogging down our server. The price is worth it for reliable sending. So let me know, else I need to get on more configuration.

Offline Carl

• Webmaster
  • Administrator
  • Watcher
    • Carl's Sims 4 Guide
« Reply #26 on: July 20, 2014, 02:24:24 PM »
Mods and myself are getting Notifications, so all is well with the email system :)

Now the only thing that I know of as an issue is potential problems for mobile users who are getting logged out, as symphonicanima described. When I use the other option in config, we are all subject to log out and telling people to use cookies constantly would be a pain. I am hoping that issue is still fixed for you, but will investigate further if it's not. I can't promise it's anything I can even fix though, given it could have something to do with security settings.  Sometimes phones won't even let you change those within their browsers.. in fact, I'm sure most don't.

Offline smartburn

• Occult
« Reply #27 on: July 20, 2014, 02:29:40 PM »
Good to know about the cookie thing, I might enable them for this site if that helps.

I had to log in twice within the last 16hrs or so - the first time it was set to "forever", but this recent login listed 60min as the default and didn't provide any other options under a drop-down menu. I didn't try changing the number of minutes though. Anyway, no big whoop, luckily this site has one of the passwords I can remember. :P

Offline Carl

• Webmaster
  • Administrator
  • Watcher
    • Carl's Sims 4 Guide
« Reply #28 on: July 20, 2014, 02:36:10 PM »
Tried changing a setting that affects when a session times out, that makes it more like 6 hours, which should help. This is different from the option you  get when logging in and may be the cause. It was also set to 60 minutes. I myself hate these logout issues, and it happens when going from carls-sims-3-guide.com to www.X  as they count as two different servers. Given the domain has propagated for most people now, I felt comfortable to force us all back to www.carls-sims-3-guide.com for consistency.

Offline symphonicanima

• Nova Salerix
  • Llama Wrangler
  • Origin ID: symphonicanima
« Reply #29 on: July 20, 2014, 03:42:45 PM »

I myself was just logged out from the cookie thing, so I'm afraid your problem may be back, symphonicanima. Let me know.

I just realized that I had set Safari to never accept cookies instead of from visited- whoops! I changed my settings back for that and played around to test it, the logout issue doesn't appear to be coming back. Sorry for the trouble from my oversight, Carl. :( Though, I think the issue really might be allowing browsers to store cookies, though I'm not certain of the validity of this theory since I don't know too much about it.

Still, it appears that storing cookies on the server for such a large amount of Forum members really does seem inefficient...