Author Topic: Bug Thread for Server Move  (Read 9423 times)

Offline Carl

• Webmaster
  • Administrator
  • Watcher
    • Carl's Sims 4 Guide
Re: Bug Thread for Server Move
« Reply #45 on: July 22, 2014, 03:07:20 PM »
They update rather frequently, so I'm hoping to have that fixed, along with the fact that there's no tapatalk section in my admin panel. It's not their fault, our Forum is just heavily customized with plugins, so it doesn't know what to do on certain files. I'll get it corrected, hopefully, on the next update.

Offline KhaineGB

• Immortal
« Reply #46 on: July 22, 2014, 04:04:38 PM »
Ok! It's only a cosmetic thing, but wanted to make sure you knew :)

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline Carl

• Webmaster
  • Administrator
  • Watcher
    • Carl's Sims 4 Guide
« Reply #47 on: July 22, 2014, 05:15:14 PM »
Always appreciate that - I didn't know myself, and I need to know of every little problem so that I can possibly fix it. Thanks to everyone who participated in this thread, we are running pretty smoothly right now.

Offline grimsoul

• Watcher
« Reply #48 on: July 22, 2014, 09:45:51 PM »
Sense the server change the site will load fast for a few pages then I'll try to open a page and it just sits there trying to load and never does. I can usually leave the site for a few minutes and come back and everything will be fine again for 3 or 4 pages then it gets stuck again.
This is happening to me in both Firefox version 31 and Internet Explorer 11. I never had this problem until the last few days. I thought it would straighten out after the move was complete but so far it hasn't.
Has anyone else been having this problem?
A clear conscience is usually a sign of a bad memory.

Offline KhaineGB

• Immortal
« Reply #49 on: July 23, 2014, 01:17:27 AM »
Only when using my WiFi. When direct-wired to my router, I'm fine.

But when the problem does start, it is only these forums. Facebook and other things still work fine.

Offline Carl

• Webmaster
  • Administrator
  • Watcher
    • Carl's Sims 4 Guide
« Reply #50 on: July 23, 2014, 08:58:19 AM »
If changes I made last night didn't fix it, I'll have to go further, so let me know.

Offline Carl

• Webmaster
  • Administrator
  • Watcher
    • Carl's Sims 4 Guide
« Reply #51 on: July 23, 2014, 09:25:54 AM »
Had to do an actual reboot, sorry for the glitchiness. I need to try configurations each day to maximize performance, so this will happen about once a day. Thankfully, it is less than 3 minutes' downtime.

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline grimsoul

• Watcher
« Reply #52 on: July 24, 2014, 11:49:05 AM »
If changes I made last night didn't fix it, I'll have to go further, so let me know.

What ever changes you made help with Internet Explorer. It's zipping through the forum real fast. Firefox is still hanging after a few pages for some reason. But it might just be me. I don't know. I can just use IE when I come here.

Offline Carl

• Webmaster
  • Administrator
  • Watcher
    • Carl's Sims 4 Guide
« Reply #53 on: July 24, 2014, 04:47:07 PM »
Thanks.. I'll do some testing with Firefox and see if I can reproduce the issue. It's hard, as it may be just random moments when there are a dozen or more people accessing something at one exact moment.

To all: I need to know of ALL hanging issues, anything with regards to "waiting on www.carls-sims-3-guide.com", blank pages, or stalling. If it is waiting on ads, that's outside my control, but when it says specifically that it's waiting on THIS site, it's a problem with the server config. This server is using entirely different means of sending files, so it's a learning process for me and does require some tuning and experimentation on my end.

Offline Carl

• Webmaster
  • Administrator
  • Watcher
    • Carl's Sims 4 Guide
« Reply #54 on: July 25, 2014, 04:09:54 PM »
I would expect the issue with Firefox has cleared up. I've done some tuning and the server has never been in better shape. If it's still happening, it's not anything I'm able to see - we actually have extra resources for once. At one point, the last server had less than 100mb of RAM left to utilize :O

I am going to see how this keeps going, but may attempt installing a different server application before Sept. 2 but will let everyone know if that's the case. There are some that are absolutely amazing in speed and reliability, though new compared to the old one we've used all along.

Offline grimsoul

• Watcher
« Reply #55 on: July 28, 2014, 02:03:56 PM »
I was still having a problem with Firefox stalling out when loading pages but I have it resolved now. I reset Firefox and everything is working great now.
If anyone else is having the same problem reseting Firefox may help you also. Follow the instructions given on this Reset Firefox page.

Offline hazelnut

• Watcher
« Reply #56 on: July 29, 2014, 03:04:58 PM »
I also use Firefox.  I've been having problems for a few weeks, so I'm not sure whether it coincides with the server migration.  I get hanging but also flickering/flashing, which can get quite disturbing at times.  I'll try the reset and see whether it helps.

Offline Twinmum

• Building inspector and trouble shooter
  • Global Moderator
  • Watcher
« Reply #57 on: July 30, 2014, 11:59:44 PM »
Not sure if it's related to the server or what, but when I'm posting and I click the spell check button, all that happens is a new window pops up with nothing in it. I even deliberately spelt something wrong and nothing happened.
Have you read the Forum Rules?
And please try to remember Capitals, Commas and Apostrophes when you post.
Check out  Twinmum's creations on the Gallery for Sims 4 creations and Twinsom Realty for my Sims 3 Creations
For something non Sims - check out the miniatures I make at MiniisByTwinmum

Offline Carl

• Webmaster
  • Administrator
  • Watcher
    • Carl's Sims 4 Guide
« Reply #58 on: July 31, 2014, 04:35:49 PM »
Thanks for the report. I configured the server to use spell-checking, but it appears our theme on the Forum doesn't support it. I wanted to allow it, but given modern browsers tend to have that, I'm disabling it so that no one bothers clicking just to see the blank screen. I was hoping it would work for some people, but it doesn't appear to be working for anyone.

@hazelnut  - did the reset of firefox settings help you? Given the move to a new IP, things could be very strange with cached data in a browser. Anyone with trouble should try that first. After a month, these issues should clear up as the info cached is only set to last for 30 days.

Offline hazelnut

• Watcher
« Reply #59 on: August 01, 2014, 02:43:44 PM »
@hazelnut  - did the reset of firefox settings help you? Given the move to a new IP, things could be very strange with cached data in a browser. Anyone with trouble should try that first. After a month, these issues should clear up as the info cached is only set to last for 30 days.

So far, it seems quite promising but I haven't been online much in the last few days.  I'll let you know...

anything