Author Topic: Brilliant Minds: The Wainwrights of Sunset Valley  (Read 197135 times)

Offline Cheezey

• Immortal
Brilliant Minds: The Wainwrights of Sunset Valley - Chapter 130 Part One
« Reply #360 on: October 04, 2020, 09:09:39 PM »
Author's Note: This one is image-heavy, so I split it into two posts.

Chapter 130

Orion was so stunned at first that he was sure he mis-heard.  “You’re pregnant?”

“Yes!” Tara cried.  “And I don’t even know how!  I mean, yes, I know how-how, but not how.  I mean, we might’ve been a little spur of the moment without the usual… you know, but we were careful enough.  At least I thought.”

Orion was more surprised than anything.  He was relieved that Tara was not leaving him or having second thoughts about their relationship, but that bombshell was not exactly light news, even if a part of him was elated at the notion of having a family with her, despite it being completely unplanned and very early in their newly re-forged relationship.  “Yeah, I thought we were, too, but I guess not.  Are you okay?”

“As okay as I can be, I guess.  I’m not sick or anything, other than I got what I guess really was morning sickness and not indigestion a couple times.”  She looked at him nervously.  “You’re upset about this, aren’t you?  I mean, I just come back into your life and next thing you know, I’m pregnant?  I know how it looks, especially since you’re so rich, and what they’re going to think.  And even though I know I love you and you know I love you and I’m not like that, and it really was an accident and not me trapping you or anything, it’d still be weird to be taking such a serious step so soon after getting back together even if…” if the baby was normal.  She stopped before saying it, but her thoughts continued unspoken clearly enough for him to pick up.

“Why would I be upset at you?  It’s biology, not your fault.  I was there, too.  I’ve got just as much in it as you.”  He winced as he regretted his words.  “Sorry.  But you know what I mean.”

“Yeah, I do.  Besides, I’d be a huge hypocrite to hold bad wording against anyone.”

“As for what other people think, who cares?  Our friends and family know us better than that, and I could give two spins of a plumbob what the random snobs and gossip mongers of Sunset Valley think.”  He waved his arm dismissively as he addressed her more serious, unspoken concern.  “And there’s no reason the baby shouldn’t be at least as normal as I am.  It’ll be half again more human, and my parents didn’t have any major medical issues or anything with me.  Worst case scenario, the poor thing looks and sounds like me with only some of my powers.  But hopefully the baby will get Mom’s good looks.”  He offered her a half-smile.

“Oh, you sensed that.”  She sighed.  “I’m sorry.  I didn’t mean ‘not normal’ in a mean way, just how the baby would have to deal with all the same alien stuff that you do.”

“I know.”

“And you’re really not that bad looking, you know.”

Orion let out a dark chuckle.  “My experiences on the dating apps while we were split up would have me disagree, but thanks.  I’m glad you think so.”  He grew serious again.  “But I get it.  The alien thing is an issue.  Looking like this, the powers, I can help them deal with that, and of course I’ll be there for whatever you or the baby need.  But I know you weren’t ready to deal with the whole Sixam thing on this kind of level yet.  So, I’m sorry it got sprung on you like this.”  He hugged her.

“It’s pretty scary,” Tara admitted as she held onto him.  “Aside from figuring out everything we’ve got to do having a baby and how we’re going to handle it, some night soon they’re going to abduct and probe me now for sure, aren’t they?  You told me their whole thing with you and the others like you they created is all some big genetic experiment, and they’re super invested in tracking all of you and your families and your genetics?”

“They are, but I’ll find a way to keep them from doing that to you.  Whatever it takes.  Eni Jish Xip is an ambassador and she has some clout.  I can get messages to her and… well, there’s always the marriage loophole.  Eni Jish Xip made an agreement with my parents that they wouldn’t abduct any of our family members again without our consent.  If we were married, you and the baby would both be off-limits because there would be no way they could argue that either isn’t technically family yet and exempt because they can’t separate you.”

Tara looked at him, surprised.  “Wait, did you just… propose?  Or were you talking like in theory?”

Orion shuffled, embarrassed that he managed to flub what should have been a special moment so badly, because he had meant it as a genuine offer.  “Yeah.  I guess I did, even if it wasn’t at all romantic like it should’ve been.  I don’t have a ring or anything to properly ask with, but yes, I meant it.  I love you and I’d marry you in a heartbeat, baby or no.”

“Wow.  Oh, Orion.  You’re so sweet.”  She sniffled, touched.  “I wouldn’t be ready to marry someone as weird as me.  Even with a baby on the way.”

He stroked her cheek.  “Hey, like you told me, you’re not so bad.”

“I love you so much,” she said as she drew her arms around him.

“So, is that a yes, then?”

“Yes,” Tara answered, sealing the deal with a kiss in lieu of a ring.

Orion and Tara kept their news to themselves for a few days before telling their respective families.  An unexpected baby and a sudden engagement and marriage were major things to plan for in regular circumstances, but the alien issue, not to mention Tara’s anxious nature, made them feel it was even more necessary to have all their ducks in a row before making any announcements.  Now that she was pregnant, Orion was hesitant to leave Tara alone much at night, just in case Sixam had somehow already found out.  He did not plan to tell Eni Jish Xip until after he and Tara were married.  Even though he believed she was sincere about wanting to respect his wishes, he did not know her or Sixam culture well enough to be sure she would not feel compelled to tell her colleagues, and he did not trust them at all.  So they spent most of their nights at one or the other’s place together, and when that was not possible, Orion remained nearby so he could intervene on the off chance that someone from Sixam did show up.

They also decided to get their own home and make whatever renovations and customization it needed to accommodate the three of them and hide Orion’s alien tech like the Galaxa.  Although the Wainwright mansion had that security already, and Orion knew he and any of his family would always be welcome there, it was crowded enough already.  While his parents were old and would probably not be around that much longer, a sad reality that he preferred not to dwell on, Patrick and Maria were raising their daughter there, and Iris would still live there at least until she went to Sims U.  Tara already had enough social anxiety without living with so many people, especially someone as melodramatic as Maria or as short-tempered as Patrick, and Orion did not particularly relish the idea of constantly having to listen to Buddy’s snide remarks while adjusting to marriage and fatherhood.

At present, Tara still lived with her parents.  Marty and Justine were elderly also, and not only was their home only a small two-bedroom one, but there was no way they could live with them and not tell them the whole alien story.  Orion knew that his parents would freak out about that, and he had to agree that it felt too risky, at least for now.  Tara also agreed, even though it meant their baby’s grandparents might never know the truth about their grandchild’s alien heritage.  Although Marty was as much of a paranoid worrier as both Tara and Boyd, and would certainly protect any of his beloved family members, he was old and Tara did not want to give him more to worry about when his doctor had warned him that his health suffered at his age from stressing over things.  Tara did not believe her mother would do anything bad, either, other than tell Wilbur, who she did not think either of her parents could keep a secret of that magnitude from, and she did not want him to know.  Orion didn’t, either, at least not right now.  Not when he was a part of the Golden Llamas and already suspicious of him.  It was hard keeping such a major secret from family, but even after all this time, Morgana, Caleb, and Tad and Chris’ children still did not know, only Maria and Tad did.  Tara understood, and even though it was her husband and baby and not just an in-law, more than anything, she wanted them all to be safe and okay.

So they wanted to get their own place as soon as possible.  Orion was almost finished with his degree, and he now worked at the lab and had full access to his trust fund, so he could buy and customize whatever they needed.  With all those plans already in place when they did share the news, it would lessen the inevitable maelstrom of panic and worry that Orion knew it would induce in his parents, especially his father.

He also wanted Tara to have a proper engagement ring before they made any announcements.  His proposal had been underwhelming enough without her not having a ring to show off when they told everyone.  To make up for that, he treated her to a night out in the VIP area of the fancy lounge downtown.  After dinner, he presented her with the ring, re-proposing on bended knee.

“Oh, wow!  It’s beautiful!  I don’t even know what to say!”

“Hopefully, still yes?” he replied with a smile.

Tara blushed, flustered.  “Yeah!  Of course!  Duh!  Yes, absolutely!  I thought that went without saying.  I’m sorry.  I didn’t mean to screw it up.”

“You didn’t screw anything up.  I couldn’t be happier that we’re getting married.”  Orion slid the ring onto her finger.  “And I hope this makes up for my screw-up of a proposal.”

Tara was beaming as she admired her lovely engagement ring.  “I wouldn’t have called it that, and you didn’t have to make up for it.  I love you.”

“I love you, too, and you deserve a nice one.”  He smirked.  “Besides, it wasn’t entirely altruistic.  Both Blair and Maria would never let me hear the end of not giving the love of my life a romantic version of that moment, and I kind of have to agree.”

“Oh, Orion!  It was really sweet, but as long as we don’t do like Wilbur and Penny and we actually make it to the altar and get married and move into our house and have a real life together and all that… I’ll be happy.”

“You definitely don’t have to worry about that,” Orion assured her before they shared a celebratory kiss.

They started house hunting online that night and found a promising listing that they were able to check out the following day.  Not only was it a spacious home—perhaps more spacious than a family of three really needed, with four bedrooms and five and a half bathrooms, one of each of which was in a separate apartment over the large garage—but it was the house right next door to Blair’s.  Even better, the Sw0rds were the only close neighbors, and Blair, Cycl0n3, Travis, and Cybelle all knew his alien secret already.  The house on the other neighboring property was the empty home that once belonged to the now deceased Agnes Crumplebottom, and it was a long walk down a hill with several large trees between them.  That made hiding the Galaxa and other alien tech easier and unlikely to arouse the suspicion of nosy neighbors, and that and having family nearby would ease Boyd and Susan’s worries.

The house was nice inside, too, although it was styled differently than Orion was used to.  He liked it well enough, though, and Tara adored it.  It would still need some upgrades and changes, but it had plenty of space for what they needed now, and it would easily accommodate more children if they chose to give their unborn baby a little sibling someday.  The ground floor had a luxurious living room and a nice kitchen, dining room, and half bath, while the second floor had three bedrooms and multiple bathrooms, including a master suite with two separate baths in it.  In addition to the over-the-garage apartment that had its own kitchen and bath—a nice option for guests or relatives that might need a place to stay—the home’s top floor had its own bathroom and a lovely recreation suite with multiple rooms where they could practice any number of hobbies and still fit all their martial arts and fitness equipment.

The house also had a spacious, fenced-in, and private back yard with a pool and hot tub.  Orion had grown up with the latter two amenities, and while not having them was not a deal-breaker, he liked that if they chose to move there, he would not have to give them up.  There was also a nice dog house, even though they had no pets, but Tara pointed out that her parents’ dog, Libby, was young and energetic, and if their health took a turn for the worse, Marty and Justine might not be able to care for her.  “They play it like they’re tough and go on about how fit they are for their age, but last winter, Libby pulled Mom off the front porch in the ice and she fell and got hurt.  Since I got back from Shang Simla, I walk her a lot just so they don’t overdo it or hurt themselves.”

Orion smiled.  “If you ever need to take her in, just say the word.  I love Libby.”

“She adores you, too, even if you do cheat and sometimes use your powers to toss her ball to her when it’s just us over there.”

“Well, it’s not like she’s going to tell anyone.”

“She’d love this yard, and that fence is too high for her to jump.  Which is good, because you know how she likes to run.”

“It’s a nice yard.  Did you see the plants over here?  Strawberries and raspberries and a banana tree.  Guess the previous owners liked to grow fresh fruit.”

“Heh.  That’s not really my forte, but I think a tree that big mostly takes care of itself anyway.  My dad could probably tell me what to do with the other stuff if you don’t already know.  Or maybe Iris.”  She paused.  “Though I think I’d let you ask her.”

Orion caught the note in her voice.  “You worry too much.  I told you she likes you.”

“I don’t know.  Even if she doesn’t hate me or anything, I think she thinks I’m bad for you or all drama or something.  Just a vibe I get.”

“Nah.  At worst, she’s worried how I’d take it if we broke up again.  That’s all.  And even if she did, she’s thought Maria’s a drama queen for ages, but she’s still friends with her and likes her, and Patrick never gave much of a plum anyway because he loves Maria and she’s who he wants to spend his life with.  That’s how I feel about you, too, so try not to worry about what Iris or any of them think.  They’re not in our relationship.  We are.”  Orion raised an eyebrow.  “And let’s be honest.  Iris has no room to talk about drama in relationships.”

“Yeah, I guess.”

Offline Cheezey

• Immortal
Brilliant Minds: The Wainwrights of Sunset Valley - Chapter 130 Part Two
« Reply #361 on: October 04, 2020, 09:10:10 PM »

He brightened and redirected the subject back to the house.  “But I’m sure she’d help us with the plants if we asked.  It’s a really nice back yard.  I could keep the Galaxa cloaked out of sight over here.”  He gestured to an open area of lawn by the fence.  “We’d also have plenty of room to set up a training dummy and board breaker out here for nice weather, and it’s perfect for pool parties and summer barbecues if we ever want to have them.  We could also put up a jungle gym or swing set for the baby when he or she is old enough.”

“That’d be great.”  She looked around, relaxed again.  “I really like this house, but I know it’s a lot of money.  Do you want to keep looking, or…?”

Orion shook his head, grinning as he took her hands.  “Nah.  I think we’ve found our house.”

Once they put in their offer on the house, it was time to tell their families the news.  They told Tara’s parents first.

“So, Mom, Dad… we’ve got some exciting news to tell you.”  She held out her hand with the engagement ring to show them, smiling nervously while Orion stood at her side.  “Orion and I got engaged and just bought a house together.”

Both Justine and Marty were surprised by that, and while it was obvious that they were glad Tara was happy, one did not need Orion’s powers to tell that they also had some concerns.  “Wow!  Congratulations,” Justine said.  “I had no idea you two were talking marriage already.”

“That’s a big step, especially with you just starting out at work, too.”  Marty turned to Orion.  “And you’re still in university, right?”

“Graduating soon, but I’m working full time at the lab.  I help run things now that my parents are taking more time in retirement.”

“Full time student and work?  That’s a heck of a schedule.  Doesn’t leave a lot of time for family.”

Tara frowned.  Even though Marty’s tone had been more concerned than rude, she sensitively took offense.  “Orion makes time for me, Dad.  He’s not doing me like Wilbur did Penny.”

Justine sighed.  “He didn’t say that.”

“But you’re thinking it.”

Orion didn’t comment, especially since he could sense that Tara was right to an extent, while Marty and Justine exchanged looks.  “It’s not that we’re not happy for you.  We just know from experience how hectic life can get when you’re adjusting to a lot of changes at once.  And you’re already going through a lot with your new job and still doing your training and—”

Tara’s voice wavered as she cut her mother off.  “And you don’t think I can handle it because I’m such a screw up, right?”

Justine let out a frustrated sigh.  “Oh, I didn’t say that, either!  But you know how stress gets to you, and I just don’t want to see you jump into too much, too fast.”  She looked at Orion and then back at her daughter.  “I understand you’re young and you love each other and you’re happy to be back together again, but it’s only been a short while.  Getting engaged and moving in together is a big step.”

“Tara, we love you.  We just want you to be happy,” Marty added.

“I love her, and I am going to be there for her, I promise,” Orion assured them.  Although he could sense that Tara’s parents had no problem with him personally, they were wary of them being so serious again so soon, and he could not really blame them for not wanting to see her hurt again.  “I know it sounds like I’ve got a lot on my plate, but I can handle it all.  I won’t let her down.”

“I appreciate that, and I’m glad,” Marty said before turning to Tara.  “And for the record, I believe you can handle it, too, but just like your mother, I want you to understand what you’re getting into.  I don’t want you to struggle if you don’t have to, like your brother did trying to juggle a new engagement, baby, house, and a music career all at once.”

“Yeah, well, much like Wilbur, there’s more that I was about to tell you that I hadn’t gotten to yet that I’m sure you’ll get on my case about, too,” Tara snapped on a hurt and sarcastic note.  “I’m pregnant.  And yes, it was a surprise and an accident, and I know what you probably think about that, but it is what it is.  We love each other and want to make it work and be a family together, so we’re getting married and getting our house now so we can be there before the baby is born.  Not like Wilbur and Penny, jerking each other around and playing games until the kid’s almost done with nursery school.”

Marty and Justine were both stunned for a moment, but he spoke first, with a rueful, but not unhappy chuckle.  “A baby?  Oh, wow!  That does explain the rush.”

“Oh, Tara, sweetheart.”  Justine shook her head lightly, but her tone was more sympathetic than upset.  “Why didn’t you just say so off the bat?”

“Why, so you could lecture me even more?”

“We weren’t trying to lecture you. We were trying to help,” Marty told her kindly.  “I wish you didn’t always feel like we’re out to get you.”

“Can’t imagine where she gets that from.”  Justine gave Marty a teasing pat on the shoulder before turning back to Tara and Orion.  “We love you and we’re here for you.  I’m not going to sugar coat it and tell you you’re not in for a lot more than you expect, especially with a baby coming, but I’m proud of you for taking responsibility and working things out as much as you have so far.”  She turned to Orion.  “And our support includes you, too.  I know I can be a bit of a hot-head, but I never want you to feel like I’m that stereotypical ogre of a mother-in-law.”

“She’s right.  You’re marrying our daughter and you’re our grandchild’s father, so that makes you family now, too.”

Orion smiled and put a reassuring arm around Tara, who was calming down now that the drama had passed.  “Nah, I wouldn’t have thought of you as an ogre at all.  Thanks.  I’m glad to be a part of your family.”

“Glad to have you.”  Marty brightened as he looked at Tara.  “And I can’t wait to meet grandbaby number two.  Though I expect you to beat your brother down that aisle so I can play the proud dad watching at least one of my kids under the arch before I kick off, okay?”

“Not a problem, Dad.”

After they told Marty and Justine, it was Boyd and Susan’s turn.  They joined Orion and Tara in the Wainwrights’ living room as he shared the news.  “We wanted to tell you that Tara I got engaged.  I asked her to marry me and she said yes.”  He held up her hand with the ring while she silently smiled beside him.  “We’ve already picked out a house together that’ll be perfect for us.  It’s nice and big, a safe place for all my tech, it’s right next door to Blair, and we’ll be moving as soon as we get married.”  He met their eyes.  “Which will be as soon as possible because she’s pregnant.”

Boyd’s face froze somewhere between elation and terror as he processed that Orion was getting married to the woman he loved and giving him and Susan a grandchild with her—wonderful news—that would be a half hybrid alien that would require all the same secrecy and protection that Orion had all his life—terrifying news.  “She’s what?”

“That’s… that’s quite the surprise.”  Susan was more pragmatic about it.  She was happy for Orion and that she and Boyd would soon have a new grandchild, but she was also concerned, not only for Orion and Tara, but also for Boyd and his nerves.  “Boyd, deep breath.”

He took one, but all it did was stave off a full-on freak out.  “You two are having a baby?”

“And getting married and moving into a new house together.  Yeah.”  Orion straightened.  “It’s okay, Dad.  I know you’re probably freaked out and scared, and I get it.  We were a little, uh, surprised too, but we’ve figured things out,” he said confidently.  “There’s no reason Tara and the baby won’t be okay.  I’ve been keeping watch since we found out so Sixam doesn’t get the chance to try abducting her before the wedding.  And since I’ve always been healthy, and she’s healthy, the baby should be, too.  We’ve already got a doctor in the family that knows the truth about me.  I’m sure Chris will help us, and you know you can trust him to take good care of Tara and the baby and to keep whatever secrets he has to.  And since the baby will be delivered by a doctor the normal way, no one will have to do anything funny or fudge any documents like you had to with me back when I was born.”

Unfortunately, Orion’s confident reassurances only made Boyd feel like he was underestimating the seriousness of the situation, and it pushed him into a panic.  “Yes, I’m sure Chris will help, but… oh, Orion!  Believe me, I know how things like this can just happen, so I’m not going to say anything about that, but this is a lot bigger deal than you seem to get!  You absolutely will have to get married, and fast, if you want any chance of Sixam respecting that no abduction thing once they find out, if they haven’t already.  I still have no idea exactly how they watch us or if they have some undetectable micro nano bugs that listen to every single word spoken in this house.  They might’ve just heard and started plotting some pre-marital abduction right now!”

“Boyd…”

“Come on, Susan, can you say for sure they don’t?  One hundred percent, totally no doubt whatsoever?”

Susan frowned, frustrated because he knew full well she could not, and while she understood and sympathized that his anxiety was not always reasonable or rational, she also knew it was exactly the sort of thing Tara did not need to hear him go on about.  “Whatever they can or can’t hear is out of our hands, but if they are listening, they should keep in mind that Eni Jish Xip promised to heed the spirit of our wishes and make them known to her colleagues.”

“And if they try anyway, I’ll kick their plumbob myself,” Orion asserted.  “And I hope they heard that, too.  They’re not touching Tara without her consent.”

“I know,” Tara said quietly, although it was clear she was nervous, because like Boyd had pointed out, how could they know for sure every second what the aliens might or might not know or do?

Orion could sense those thoughts in both of them, as well as his mother’s frustration and concern, and he wished he could calm them all down.  “I really think it’ll be okay.  We’ve already done all of this with me, and as far as the baby goes, who’d know better how to handle keeping this kind of secret than someone who’s had to do it his whole freaking life?”

“I know you’ll do what you think is best.  I have no doubt of that,” Boyd said.  “But you’ve been safe here at the house.  Can’t you at least—?”

“No,” Orion cut him off.  “Sorry, but no.  This house is big, but not that big, not three couples and families big.  But don’t worry.  Nobody’s going to find the Galaxa or my other stuff at our new place.  Whatever I can’t keep secure, I’ll leave here or at the lab.  But you haven’t even seen the house yet.  Trust me, it’ll work.  It’s right next door to Blair and Cycl0n3 and has a huge fenced yard with no other close neighbors.  I’m actually looking forward to renovating it, and if you guys want to help, that’d be great.  I’d love your input.”

“I think that sounds like a wonderful idea.”  Susan gave Boyd an encouraging look.  “Don’t you think so?”

“Considering the circumstances.”  He sighed, regretting how his fears and worries put such a damper on what in normal circumstances would have been good news.  “Don’t get me wrong, kids.  I’m happy for you and I’m thrilled you’re getting married and going have a family.  I know you’re happy, and that’s all I’ve ever wanted for you, Orion.  Having another grandkid will be wonderful, even if the whole alien aspect of it scares me.  I know you and Tara will be good parents.  I just want you to have happy and healthy lives and the way this world is, that’s what worries me.  So of course we’ll help.  Whatever you need.”

“Thanks,” Orion said.

“Yeah, I appreciate it,” added Tara.

“Anytime,” Susan replied.  “Tara, have you told your family yet?”

“About the baby and the wedding and the house?  Yeah.  But not the alien stuff.  Orion and I decided it was better just not to tell them, at least not yet.  There are, well, reasons it’d be better if Wilbur didn’t know, so we didn’t want to put them in the position of having to keep the alien thing a secret.”

Both Boyd and Susan were relieved by that.  “That’s good,” Boyd said.  “I know Marty and Justine are good people and we like them, but the fewer people who know, the safer everyone is.”

“If things change and there’s some emergency, though, we might have to someday,” Orion added.  “But for now, we won’t.”

“And you could trust them if it came to that.  You really could.  They already love the baby so much, and I know they wouldn’t care about the alien thing.  I mean, yeah, I’m sure it’d freak them out at first, but it wouldn’t affect how they felt about them or anything.  Wilbur, either, for that matter.  The reasons I don’t want to tell him aren’t anything to do with that.  I swear.”

“It’s all right.  We respect your judgment.  They’re your family,” Susan said.  “As I’m sure Orion has told you, not even all of our extended family know.  Morgana and Caleb and Chris and Tad’s kids, for instance.  We love them, but like we said, the fewer who know, the easier it is to keep it quiet.”  She smiled.  “So, I guess we have a wedding to plan now, don’t we?”

“And a house to outfit with alien tech,” Boyd mused.  “That should be a fun project.  So, it’s that big house next door to Blair’s?”

“Yeah.  It’s got a fenced in yard and a pool and a pretty big garage.”

“Good starting point.  But you do realize that there’s no way you’re going to keep the Galaxa next door to Cycl0n3, Travis, and Blair and not have them beg you for joyrides or to borrow it, right?”

“Yeah, but I like them, so I might cave once in a while.  Especially if I need a favor or a babysitter.”

“If you do, do not let Travis operate the lasers without supervision.  Or Cycl0n3 for that matter.”

Orion snorted.  “Oh, come on, Dad.  Surely you don’t think they’d do anything that bad?”

“Only because Blair would let them have it worse than any of us if they did,” Susan remarked wryly.  “And if the way she dotes over Jessica is any indication, your baby is going to have one heck of a spoiling auntie right next door.”

Orion imagined what it would be like living that life with Tara and their baby at their house and put his arm around her, happy.  “I can’t wait.”

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline Cheezey

• Immortal
Brilliant Minds: The Wainwrights of Sunset Valley - Chapter 131
« Reply #362 on: November 26, 2020, 10:15:42 AM »
Author’s Note: Sorry for the month and a half break between chapters! I’ve been super busy lately and haven’t had much time to write or sim. If you’re still here, thanks for reading, and if you’re in the US, have a happy Thanksgiving!

Chapter 131

Once they told their families, Orion and Tara kicked their plans to move and get married into high gear.  Tara moved into the house as soon as they closed, but Orion decided to wait until after the wedding to move in permanently.  It gave him time to decide what technology he wanted to bring and what renovations to make, and even though he was not officially living there, he spent his nights there anyway.  It let him work on what they needed done and be around in case anyone from Sixam decided to try and abduct Tara in her sleep.

After he finished work at the lab for the day, Orion stopped at the mansion to pick up another load of stuff to take to the new house.  Patrick, who had the night off, was playing with Jessica in the study while Maria worked on a painting.  Jessica enthusiastically beeped the star on her walker when Orion came through.  “Uncy Ry-ry!”

“Hey, Jess!  You chasing your Dad around in that?”

She giggled, while Patrick straightened and stretched.  “She’s getting around pretty well, but the walker helps keep her out of Mommy’s paints.  How’s the new house coming along?  It’s starting to look bare upstairs without all your stuff.”

“Great.  Mom and Dad were over earlier.  He helped me wire up a sprinkler system in the garage where I’ve got my work bench, bot unit, and chemistry stuff, and Mom had Plumboptimus set up a nectar rack in our dining room.  She even gave us a few bottles to start it off with so we’d have something for any unexpected guests.  Then she told me all about how it was better to keep nectar in a basement, but since we don’t have one, the dining room will be okay because it’s climate controlled. But if we ever do put in a basement, a cellar really is much better storage, and so on.”

“She’s not wrong, but I hear you on how she can go on.  It’s not like you’ll be hosting nectar tasting parties for Landgraab level snobs or anything.”

“Susan does have some very high quality and expensive vintages, and she probably gave some of them to you, so I can see why she’d want you to be careful.  But your friends never struck me as the types who’d say much about that kind of thing,” Maria mused.

“Only the foodies, maybe, but Guillermo’s more likely to tell me what meat or fruit goes with what type rather than play snob.  Unless I served it chilled when it was supposed to be room temperature or something like that.  Same with April, but it’s not like she’ll be coming over unless it’s a huge party or something.  Tara says she’s okay with us being friends, but you know she can be kind of…”

“Jealous?” Maria guessed, while Patrick came out with a slightly different one.

“Paranoid?”

“Neurotic with enough issues to fill an archive?” Buddy chimed in.

“I wouldn’t have said any of those exactly, and Buddy, you’re a llama, but yeah, somewhere in that neighborhood.  She’d never say I couldn’t be friends with her because she’s not controlling or petty and she wants to trust me, but I know it bothers her anyway.  So I don’t give her reason to worry, even though I know nothing’s going on.  I don’t do private any messages with her on social media and I only see her if I run into her by chance or if we’re out with other friends.”  Orion shrugged.  “But I’m not planning on any parties other than the wedding anytime soon, and Tara won’t even be drinking nectar at that because she’s not touching it until after the baby is born.  So what Mom gave us will last, regardless.”

“Heh,” Buddy scoffed.  “If I was you, Alien Boy, and I had to live with her, that’d be gone by the first trimester.”  He made the twirling finger gesture implying she was loopy, and while only Patrick could see that visual, Orion was annoyed at just the audio.

“If listening to you all this time hasn’t driven me to drink, Tara sure as plum isn’t going to,” he retorted before returning to the original subject.  “Anyway, after they set up the nectar rack, Mom had Plumboptimus install a self-cleaning upgrade on our downstairs toilet while she tested our wi-fi speed on her tablet and told Tara in enthusiastic detail how much she liked our TV and its sound system.”

“So,” Maria asked with a knowing gleam in her eyes, “speaking of enthusiastic detail and driving people to drink—which I’m guessing is what Buddy said?—how many visits have you gotten from your dear neighbors?”

Orion chuckled.  “Travis figured out I’ve been going there in the Galaxa since the first night after Tara moved in, and he’s been by a lot to see it and the other tech I’ve brought.  Yesterday, Cycl0n3 saw the lab van there delivering some bot building stuff and of course that brought all of them over to check that out, even Cybelle, who asked if I’d be building her a robot friend anytime soon.  Oh, and Blair brought over a ton of baby things, too.  I don’t even know where she gets them or why she thinks I can’t just buy what I need, but I think she just likes giving cute baby gifts.”

“We’ve got a ton of clothes she gave us that Jess was only able to wear a few times before she outgrew them,” Patrick said.  “That’s Blair, though.  I rip on her for being such a goody-goody, but she is really sweet.  You’ve got to love her.”

“Says the guy who lives across town from her and not next door,” Orion quipped back.  “But, joking aside, it’s cool having them as neighbors.  It’s sort of like trading having one set of parents around for another, but with more personal space because they’re not actually in my house.”

“Luckily, this house is pretty freaking big.  But I understand, and kind of envy your freedom to do whatever the plum you want with the place only having to get Tara’s okay for it.  Maria and I talked about getting a grand piano for the living room, but Mom’s bookshelf is in the only good place for it, and you know how she’s got this sentimental attachment to it because her parents gave it to her right before they died and it was still a kit in their garage when that happened, and our Uncle Jonathan put it together for her when they moved to Sunset Valley.  So I’m not going to push it if she wants to keep it in the living room in that corner because, ‘There’s no other good place for it.’  Or argue with Dad about his old sports car he got back when they won the lottery before you were born.  I mean yeah, it’s kind of cool in that retro way, but it needs engine work none of us can or even want to try doing, and he never gets around to getting it fixed, so he hardly drives it anymore.  I’ve told him he should just sell it or at least get the work done, but it never happens, so it sits in the garage taking up a slot I’d like for a badass new car.  And you know how Mom says both her car and her ‘frail old bones’ need climate control, and Iris, despite loving being outside, also insists her convertible doesn’t love being stored there.  Not to mention all the crap they keep in there that’s got nothing to do with vehicles or even yard work or the greenhouse.  Speaking of which, taking any of that with you?”

“Not as much as you hope.  Sorry.  Guess your badass car will have to live outside whenever you get it.  Though I hear those aren’t highly rated for child safety anyway,” Orion teased as he gave Jessica a playful push in the walker, making her go “Wheee!” as she sped across the floor.

“You’ve seen how he drives.  Neither is his lead foot,” Buddy quipped.

Patrick made a sarcastic face at his invisible friend.  “Hey, nobody asked you.”

After their chat, Orion went up to his room to pack more things.  He was passing through the upstairs rec room to bring stuff down when Iris caught up with him with Patches in tow.  Although school ended hours ago, Iris went out with Cameron and some of her friends afterward, so she had only just gotten home.  “Maria said you were up here.  Is that another box of space rocks?”

“One of my last stashes of them.”

“Need some more midnight energy boosts, huh?” Patches asked, and Orion nodded.

“I don’t like consuming the cool or valuable ones.  I want to keep those to set out.  I think they’ll look neat in the landscaping.”

Iris snickered.  “And your house looked so normal from the outside.  Careful.  Make it look too outer space, and Dad’ll get all freaked out that you’ll raise suspicion.”

“Yeah, because me looking like this isn’t weird enough, or the old couple with their robot and geeky teenager dropping by all the time aren’t all a hundred times weirder than some meteorites in the shrubs.”

Iris raised an eyebrow.  “You better have meant Blair, Cycl0n3, Travis, and Cybelle with that, mister.”

He smirked.  “Oh, you haven’t been by all that often.”

“Ha ha.  Very funny.”

“I wish I could go visit you,” Patches said on a wistful note.  “I’m going to miss you.”

“Aw, I’ll miss you, too, Patches.”  He smiled in her direction, even though he could not see her.  “A lot more than Buddy.”

“You won’t miss him, too?  Even a little?”

“Well, maybe a tiny bit.”  He held up his fingers a smidgen apart.  “He has his good points.  Deep, deep down inside.”

“Ha.  I see all this hanging around Saint Blair, Cycl0n3, and Travis has done wonders for your sense of humor,” Iris remarked before continuing on a more serious note.

“So, how are things going?  Is Tara doing all right?”

He could tell what she was asking both directly and between the lines.  “Are things between us okay and is she handling the whole alien baby situation and not freaking out, you mean?  Yeah, and for the most part.  It’s hard for her.  She’s, well, you know how she is.  It gets to her.  She’s worried about the aliens, them spying on us or plotting to abduct her or the baby after it’s born, even after the wedding because she’s scared they won’t honor it or they’ll change their minds or whatever.  I told her they’ve never taken me, and I think that helps, but she worries anyway because that’s just what she does.  I try to reassure her as much as I can.  But we’re getting along fine, and her family’s been over to see her, too.  Her parents a couple of times, and Wilbur came with Penny and Rodrigo the other day.”  He left out that there was a little bit of tension, unspoken, between him and Wilbur, but beyond some suspicion that Orion picked up on from him, nothing untoward was said.  “He told us he was looking forward to being an uncle and thought it was pretty cool that Rodrigo was getting a cousin on his side.”

“Ha, well that kid’s already got, like, what, a thousand on Penny’s side?”

“More like eight, but still.  Nine if you count Arlo and Bella’s baby that’s due around when mine and Tara’s is.  I only knew about that because Travis mentioned it while we were talking about how Starla is Rodrigo’s cousin, and Rodrigo is my baby’s cousin, and that doesn’t make it weird if he marries her someday, does it?  Because he doesn’t think it should, considering how Patrick and Chris marrying Maria and Tad already crossed a ton of branches a lot closer between the Wainwrights and Wolffs in the family forest.”

Iris was amused.  “Patrick, Maria, Chris, and Tad are all weird for many reasons, but that’s among the least of them.  And him marrying Starla Bunch someday would be one of the more normal things I’ve seen him say or do, so there’s that.”  She paused and gave him a curious look.  “Speaking of marriage, how are you feeling about taking the plunge now that it’s getting closer?  Getting nervous?”

“Of course not.  Why would I?”

“Well, I know you love her and with the baby on the way it makes sense, but you did just get back together after a while apart and…”

“And some bad stuff?”

“That’s a pretty euphemistic way to put it.”

“It wasn’t—well, okay, it did hit me hard, but that’s because I never stopped loving her.  Even when I tried.  And I think that just proves we’re meant to be, you know?  Because if we didn’t feel that strongly, that should’ve been it.  But it wasn’t.  We couldn’t forget each other, even when we tried to move on.  So, yeah, while the unexpected baby rushed things, I’m sure we’d have gotten engaged eventually anyway.  It just happened a little sooner.  And this time, we don’t have any more secrets, so there’s no reason we’d break up again.”

“I understand why you feel that way, but still.  I can’t imagine being your age and ready to get married already.  You’re just finishing university, and you’re getting married and having a baby!  I know the baby was a surprise, and you have to take care of it, but it’s not like it was generations ago when having kids outside of marriage was all scandalous and they’d be treated like plum over it.  I get that being married also helps protect them from Sixam, but I just don’t think I could do it if it were me.  I’m happy for you, and I really hope it makes you happy.  I mean that,” she emphasized before continuing.  “But a lot of people really aren’t ready to settle down at your age, not deep down, even if they think they are.  And you’ve even had more experience dating other people than, say, Patrick or Chris or Blair or Mom and Dad.  I know everyone in our family seems to get married young, and it’s great it’s worked out for most of them, but… well, I’ll just say, even if I could get surprise pregnant, I don’t think I’d just marry the father like that.”  She snapped her fingers.  “Even if it was Cameron.  You know I love him, but I feel like if you’re going to get married, you should be really sure that you want it as a done deal, forever.  I loved Lane, too.  And Lester.  But they didn’t work out.  I’d have to be really sure because I don’t ever want to go through divorces.  Breakups suck enough without lawyers involved.”  She paused.  “I’m hope you get what I’m trying to say.  I don’t want to rain on your parade or make it out like I think you’re doomed before you even go under the arch.  I hope you’re still together and as happy as Mom and Dad or Blair and Cycl0n3 at their age.  It’s just hard for me to imagine wanting to be tied down like that in just a few years.  It’s not that I don’t think you’ll be a good husband and father or anything.  I know you will.”

“We just want you to be happy being that,” Patches added.

He appreciated her honesty even though he thought her concerns were unfounded.  “I know.  Thanks.  I’m sure I will.”  He hugged her.  “I get where you’re coming from, and I promise, I’ve thought about this a lot.  I love Tara and I want to spend the rest of my life with her and our baby, and I know she loves me just as much.”

“I’m glad.  Now, all that said, what’s this I hear about you having your wedding at the dojo?  Was Maria messing with me or are you really planning to get married there?”

Orion couldn’t help but smile.  “Isn’t that cool?  Tara and I both like their garden, and when she said how wedding pictures would look great there, I said, well why not ask if we could do it there?  And they said yes, so that’s the plan!  Kind of fitting, huh?  Especially since we got together bonding over a mutual interest in martial arts?”

“It’s, well, no one could say it’s not you.”

“Hey!  What’s that supposed to mean?”

Iris smirked.  “It means I love you, big brother, but you’ve got, let’s call it, not exactly traditional tastes.”

“Aww.  Are you saying my wedding isn’t going to be cool enough for you?”

She gave him a playfully dismissive wave.  “It’s all right.  We all know I’m the cool one anyway.”

He snickered.  “Oh.  Okay.”

“Are we really going to debate this, Mr. Blue Leather Skull Jacket and space rocks in the front yard?  I mean, I’ll give you that you’re cooler than Saint Blair and Cycl0n3, and you’re definitely ahead of Travis and, considering his bad pun habit, sometimes even Chris.  And Patrick may be in a rock band, but we both know what a huge dork he is off stage, so, really, that leaves the number one slot to…”

“The straight-A botany nerd with the invisible friend?”

She responded by blowing him a sarcastic raspberry and picking up a box of his stuff to help him carry it downstairs.

While Orion chatted with his siblings while packing and moving, their nephew that had the dubious honor of being placed in the middle of Iris’ coolness scale gave Tara a prenatal checkup.  All her vitals were normal, aside from a slightly elevated heart rate and blood pressure induced by the stress of worrying about whether the half-alien hybrid baby she was carrying was normal.

“So, everything looks good?”

“Yup.  Appears so.”  Chris finished reviewing the data in her record.  “You’re still pretty early on, but everything looks fine.  The only thing I’m at all concerned about is that borderline blood pressure reading.  It’s probably just anxiety spiking it, but I’d keep an eye on it at home.  If it starts reading like that regularly or it gets higher, let me know.  It can be an issue in pregnancy if it gets out of control.”

“Okay.  Though I’ve never had high blood pressure before.”

“Like I said, it’s probably nothing.  Just try not to worry too much and take it easy.”

“Easy for you to say.”

“I know,” he sympathized.  “Look at it this way, though.  It’s a great excuse to get Orion to spring for spa trips for you.  Tip from someone who worked there in high school: the massages are the best value, and the mud baths are super relaxing.  Just stay out of the sauna because that hot dry heat isn’t good for pregnant women.”

“And you really think the baby will be normal?  And it looks normal on your… your records?”  She eyed the computerized medical record anxiously.

“There’s nothing in here that’d set off any red flags about what you’re thinking.  I promise,” Chris reassured her.  “Besides, the medial privacy laws are very strict, and usually the only ones with legitimate reasons to try and access them are other doctors or insurance underwriters, all of whom require your permission first.  I made sure you documented consent to very limited access to cover that.”

“Okay.”  She relaxed somewhat.  “But do you think the baby will be normal?”

“I can’t say for sure how the baby will look, since heredity can be a bit random on which parent you look more like.  It’s too early for a sonogram to show any defining features, but I don’t see anything at this point indicating health problems or abnormalities.  There’s no reason to believe your baby won’t be at least as normal as Orion.  We’ll keep checking as things progress, though, and in the meantime, just do your best to stay healthy and well-nourished.”

It was as optimistic as he could be while still being realistic, and while it was not exactly what she wanted to hear, it was honest and not bad news.  “All right.”

“Also, I know you and Orion love your martial arts, but be careful doing anything that could strain you or get you a blow to the midsection.  You might want to focus more on things like meditation, and as far as exercise in general goes, stick with gentle, low impact stuff.  Cardio is good, but keep it light to moderate, and avoid heavy weightlifting.  Make sure you get enough sleep and try to keep stress levels low if you can.  Oh, and take your vitamins.  I’ll send a script to your pharmacy for some prenatal ones and start you off with a sample here.”  He handed her a colorful pill.  “As a bonus, these will be almost as good for your hair and skin as those regular spa trips.”

“Wow.  That’s big enough to choke a horse.”

“It goes down easier than you think.  Just take a full glass of water with it.”

“Thanks, Chris.  I’m glad there’s a doctor I can tell all this to without feeling like I’ll be treated like I’m crazy or who might, you know, do something horrible and crazy.”

“Hey, it’s no problem.  You’re family now, and we look out for each other.  I know I joke around a lot, but I grew up knowing the deal about Orion.  I know how serious the whole Sixam thing is, and the kind of things my grandparents, especially Grandpa, worry about when it comes to him.  So whatever you guys need, I’m here for you.”

“I appreciate it.”  Tara put her hand on her belly.  “And I’m sure he or she will, too.”

Later that evening, after Orion went back to his new house and Boyd and Susan watched TV with Jessica while Iris and Patches caught up on the day’s gossip up in her room, Patrick and Maria relaxed in the hot tub together.  “Feels like ages since we’ve been able to just kick back like this.  No rehearsals.  No gigs.  No family drama.  No projects that just won’t let us put them down because we’re too caught up in them, and even Jess is happily watching old Star Trek reruns with Mom and Dad.”

“Yup!  They’re determined to geek their granddaughter up early.  But Jessica’s having fun, and it’s nice they get to spend the time with her.”

“And it’s been a while since they had a kid in their formative years to show all their favorites to.  Wait until they get to add Orion’s.”  He smiled.  “Jess and his baby will be about the same age apart as Chris and I were, or Orion and Chris, since he’s right between us.  I bet they’ll be close like we were growing up.  Even though he’s our nephew, he always felt more like an honorary brother or close cousin.  Especially because Blair was so much older, it was like she was more of an aunt than my sister when I was a kid.”  He chortled.  “Definitely when she lectured us, even if I did pull the ‘you’re my sister, not my mom’ card on her whenever I could.”

“Yes, and Tad’s mentioned more than once with a bit of irritation what a great example you set for Caleb when it comes to that.”

“A tad of irritation, you might say?”

Maria splashed in his direction.  “That was terrible.  Clearly the bad influence of your honorary nephew-brother.”

“And here I thought I was creative, baby.  I’m hurt,” he teased back, although it seemed Maria was only half joking and her mood was souring.  “Hey, I was just kidding.  Are you okay?”

She sighed.  “I guess.  It’s nothing you said, not on purpose anyway.  It just made me think of something that’s been on my mind.”

“What’s wrong?”

“It’s just… just the reminder that Jess won’t have a brother or sister like you did or even I did, because of the stupid werewolf thing.  Because I’m afraid of passing it on.”  She frowned.  “And what’s even worse is… never mind.”

Patrick was concerned.  “No, what?  Tell me.”

She bit her lip.  “No.  I—look, it was terrible.  I don’t really want to say it.  I hate that I even thought it.”

“Come on.  It can’t be that bad.”

“Patrick, you know I love Orion, and I don’t think any less of him for being alien or anything, right?”

“Yeah…”

She sighed again, hesitating, but then just blurt it out.  “I can’t stop thinking that if he can have a baby and not worry about it, knowing what he is and what his kid will be like and probably go through, why can’t I?  I mean, the werewolf thing, honestly, you can hide it a lot easier than that.  And I really did want more kids someday, before I found out.  I used to imagine us having at least two.  Maybe a boy and a girl, a cute little matched set.  Then I found out I was a werewolf and that ruined that dream.  We were lucky that Jessica turned out normal.”  She sniffled.  “And it sucked, but I thought I was okay with it until Orion got Tara pregnant.  Even though it was an accident, he was so happy about it!  And Tara, even someone as, well, you know how Tara is, even she can handle it!  Then suddenly there are all these cheerful preparations for another baby in the family, one with even more complications and challenges than a werewolf one of ours might have, and it hit me hard.  It makes me feel like not wanting another child because it might be a werewolf like me is so… so minor and whiny and petty compared to that.”  Her face rumpled.  “And then I thought, my Watcher, even though Tad tried to be nice and say I wasn’t that bad, I really did turn out like him after all.  Like Dad, who never wanted any children because they might be flawed, have something wrong with them.  Like I turned out to.  I hate it, Patrick!  I didn’t want to be like him.  Yeah, I know I have kind of high expectations about a lot of things, but I never really thought, never believed I was that bad!”

Patrick put his arm around her.  “Hey, you’re not Thornton.  Or Orion, for that matter.  You can’t help how you feel sometimes.  It sucks, but it’s true.  That plum just isn’t always rational.”  He gave her a rueful smile.  “If it was, there’d be a lot fewer patches on the walls from all the times I lost it over something ticking me off at the time.”

She sniffled again.  “You don’t think I’m awful and horrible and selfish?”

“Baby, I love you.  If I thought you were terrible, I wouldn’t be with you.  Seriously.  It’s okay.  I understand how you feel about the werewolf thing.”

“But I also know you really wanted another baby someday, too.  And so did I!  I feel like I’ve ruined that with my hang-up.”

“It was a nice thought, but I’m okay if it never happens.  I love you and Jess and if that’s how it is from here on out, just the three of us, then that’s what it is.”

A hint of a smile returned to her face.  “Thank you for understanding and not judging me.”  She paused.  “And bearing with me, because, even though it scares the plum out of me to think if we had another baby that it might have my curse, I don’t know, sometimes I think maybe I should change my mind.  That it might be worth the risk because we did both want more children.  And if Orion and Tara can handle the alien thing, shouldn’t I be able to handle the werewolf one?  But then I think about what if the baby is one and grows up to hate it as much as I do?  What if they hate me for passing it on to them and having them knowing I could’ve?  But then I think, maybe that’s just me thinking like Dad again, and I sure don’t want to be like him.  So I just… I’m just not sure.”

“If you’re not sure, then we wait to make any big decisions until you are.”  He smooched her.

“Okay.”  Feeling better, she smiled with a hint of flirtation.  “Though that means no getting frisky in here tonight unless you want to leave it up to the fates to make the decision for us.”

Patrick smirked, and he couldn’t help but notice how her swimsuit top had slipped low in the bubbles.  “Heh.  No problem, baby, but in that case, you might want to pull that up a bit if you don’t want my mind going all sorts of places it probably shouldn’t.”

In the days leading up to the wedding, Boyd and Susan not only helped Orion settle into his and Tara’s new home, but they also worked on their wedding gift to him—a household plumbot.  “Good thing we’ve gotten good at making these advanced nanites,” Boyd mused as he went through their inventory.  “Now we need twice as many.”

“Well, we’d only planned on making one in such a short time frame.  Not two.”  Susan and Boyd had already been working on a plumbot for Chris and Tad as a gift to celebrate the finalization of their adoption of Raul.  Their grandson’s household was almost as full as theirs with him, Tad, Esmeralda, Hilda, and Raul as well as Morgana and Caleb and, of course, Diddy and the pride of neighborhood visiting pet, stray, and feral cats in their yard that Chris was always meeting, befriending, and inevitably feeding.  The laundry, cooking, and dishes alone could take half the day if Tad’s grousing was to be believed.  While they all had their chores and pitched in to get everything done, it was clear that a plumbot would be a huge help and well appreciated, especially now that Morgana was having frequent arthritis flare-ups and more trouble getting around in her old age.

“I think we’ve got enough on hand to make the solar chips for both of them, and we’ve already got duplicates of the nanny chip and the cleaning chips.  But only one music chip.  Think we should put that one in Orion’s bot?  Babies do better with lullabies and settle-down music than teenagers.”

“Settle-down music for teenagers is the kind that annoys their parents,” Susan quipped.  “Remember how Patrick used to crank his amplifier on his guitar for angry riffs when he was mad at us?”

“At least he was good enough at it that it was usually in tune.”

“To be honest, the one I couldn’t stand was that awful boy band music Blair liked at that age.”  Susan made a face.  “Our old house on Maywood was so small and even with the doors closed, you could always hear it in her room.  Even playing our music on the stereo or computer didn’t always drown it out.”

She looked over the plumbot schematics.  “So, what entertainment chip should go in Chris and Tad’s bot, then?  The art chip or the humor chip?  Morgana and Raul are both artsy types, and if the chip is as advanced as the manual implies, it might be able to craft things they could sell for extra cash.  But a humor chip probably has broader appeal.”

“Oh, Chris would love it, no doubt, and it’d be fun to interact with.  I’d be curious to see how it works compared to Plumboptimus and Cybelle.”

“Considering most humor is lost on them, that would be interesting.  And it’s something that would appeal to the teenagers.”

“Not to mention the family troll Grandpa Cycl0n3 when he visits.”

“So, an old man as mature as a teenager.  My point stands.”  She entered some data, started a program, and then closed the screen.  “We’re all set.  The next phase should be done in four hours, and we’re still on track to finish in a couple of weeks.”

“Not before the wedding, but before the baby at least.”

“Yup.”

It was good news, but thinking about the wedding and baby spiked Boyd’s anxiety nonetheless.  “Oh, Susan.  I know we’ve done everything we can to help them, but I’m just so worried.  I know logically this was going to happen someday, that Orion was going to go out on his own and have a family, and even tell the world what he is, but, oh, I guess a part of me hoped I wouldn’t live to see it and worry about it in real time.”  He sighed.  “You know what I mean, right?  Of course I want him to be happy, and I want to meet our grandkid, but now that it’s all happening, I’m just so terrified about what could happen if something goes wrong.  To him, to the baby, to all of them!”

“That’s why we’re doing what we can,” she tried to reassure him.

“The wedding is so rushed and there’s so much going on.  What if something slips?  I don’t even mean Tara necessarily.  I don’t think she’d say anything on purpose, but what if someone in her family starts thinking there’s more to what’s going on than what they say?  Justine’s a retired cop and if she’s anything like Blair, she probably can’t help but notice when things are off.  What if she gets it in her head to investigate Orion’s ‘condition’ and starts poking around and probing Tara for details and Tara says something that a trained interrogator would pick up on without even realizing it?  Or what if it’s not even that, but something like the baby gets a bad fever while Wilbur or Justine and Marty are babysitting and they take it to the hospital and not Chris and some doctor runs a bunch of tests on the odd-looking sick baby and discovers the alien DNA?  We didn’t have to worry about this with Orion because all of us were in the know!  But—”

“Boyd, I know it’s hard, but please try not to do this to yourself.  The baby isn’t even born yet and nothing’s wrong with it.  Orion’s fine, Tara’s fine, and the Keatons seem to be fine with the wedding and excited about their new grandchild.  I’m sure they do wonder about Orion’s condition and whether the baby will have it, but if it comes up, we can talk to Justine and Marty ourselves about what raising Orion was like, without getting into the details.  We can even tell Orion that if it makes you feel better, to send them our way if they have questions they’re not sure how to answer.”

“That might work.”

“Remember, this is their grandchild, too.  Even if they found out about all of it, they’re not going to want to see anything happen to them, or their daughter.  No matter what they might think of us.  Not to mention, Justine’s been a friend of Blair’s for a long time.  If there was any indication they’d be a danger to Orion or his unborn baby, she’d have said something.  They’re good people.”

Boyd took a steadying breath.  “I suppose.  Not everyone’s a suspicious old paranoid crackpot like me.”

She patted him on the shoulder and smiled.  “I didn’t say that.  I’m just reminding you that you’re a little more… prone to imagining a worst-case scenario than usually happens.”

“Which is a nice way of saying I am a paranoid old crackpot,” he pointed out wryly despite his mood, and she hugged him.

“Yes, but I love you.”

Offline Cheezey

• Immortal
Brilliant Minds: The Wainwrights of Sunset Valley - Chapter 132 Part One
« Reply #363 on: December 20, 2020, 11:06:32 PM »
Author's Note: This is image and text-heavy, so I split it into two posts.

Chapter 132

“Looking sharp for your big day!”  Iris gave Orion an approving high five after giving him a last-minute fashion inspection before the wedding.  “All fancy in your white tux.”

“Thanks.  Just please don’t sing ‘White Wedding.’  Patrick’s already run that joke into the ground.”

“Ha.  Didn’t realize Mr. Rock Star was such a fan of the oldies.  Isn’t that song older than Mom and Dad?”

“Not quite that old, but I think it might pre-date Blair.”

Iris snickered.  “That still qualifies it as ancient.  So, ready to take the plunge?  I still can’t believe you didn’t want a bachelor party.  I’d have thought the guy who danced on the bar at Patrick’s would want a final wild night of his own.”

“Nah.  I know better than to give him and Chris a chance to plot those kinds of shenanigans in my honor.  Going out last night for drinks and pizza with them and a couple of friends at Mick’s was fine.”

“Well, anyway, I’m super excited for you even though I’m going to miss you now that you’ll be all officially moved out and stuff.  You’re going to be a great dad and husband, though.”  She hugged him.

“I hope so.  The ‘dad’ part still feels a little intimidating,” he admitted.  “Good thing I’ve got a few months to prepare for taking care of a baby around the clock.  Maybe Mom and Dad will let me borrow Plumboptimus to help out.”

“Then Maria and Patrick would have to clean up after Jessica and do their laundry themselves.  Good luck with that,” she said, conveniently glossing over the fact that she would relish having to do her own housekeeping and laundry about as much as they would, not to mention their aging parents.  “But I’m sure your neighborly robo-pal Cybelle will give you a hand.”

“And make Cycl0n3 have to get out of his rocker and wash his own dishes?  Or Travis clean his own room?  How could you ask such a hardship of them?”

“Please, like Cycl0n3 wouldn’t make Travis do the dishes anyway, and I’m sure Blair would tell him it builds character or something.  And what kind of loving aunt would I be if I didn’t allow my dear nephew to get all of the character building experiences he can?”

Orion smirked.  “You’re a fountain of generosity and love.”

“Aren’t I, though?”  She grinned.  “Now come on.  Let’s get you to your bride at your romantic dojo and get you married before you get a spot on that pristine white tux.”

The Keatons were already there waiting for guests to arrive before the ceremony.  Marty, Justine, and Wilbur were with Tara for her big day, with the latter two dressed in traditional attire while Marty had to skip his tuxedo in favor of a loose sweater due to the heart monitor he had to wear for his ongoing health issues under it.  This wedding was not as lavish as Patrick and Maria’s had been, but it was no elopement in Lucky Palms like Chris and Tad had done, either.  As for Marty and Justine, they were just happy to see one of their children finally get married.  Wilbur and Penny still had not tied the knot yet, but they were still together despite their rocky relationship.  She and Rodrigo were not there yet, but they were coming with the rest of the guests while Wilbur acted as an unofficial usher since there was no bridal or groomsman party.  Tara did not have any sisters to make a maid or matron of honor, and she did not feel close enough to any of her female friends to ask them to be that or bridesmaids.  Although Iris, Blair, or Maria certainly would have taken that role if she or Orion wanted them to, Tara felt even more awkward about that, like it was some kind of failure in her that she did not have anyone on her side to do it.  So, she and Orion just decided not to have any wedding parties at all, and Orion was fine with that.  If he’d had to pick a best man, he would have asked Patrick, but he knew Patrick would not be offended by him bucking tradition and keeping it low key, either.

After Tara got her dress on and her hair and makeup done, she waited in the garden with her parents and brother.  “It’s all so nice.  I hope nothing goes wrong.”

“Nothing’s going to go wrong,” Wilbur assured her.  “You worry too much.  It’ll be fine.”

Tara smoothed down her dress nervously.  “I hope not.  But what if he changes his mind?  What if he doesn’t show up?  Or what if something happens and it just looks like he did, but he doesn’t mean to and it still ends up not happening?  What if—”

“Oh, honey, on today of all days, please try not to borrow trouble on your wedding day,” Justine said with a note of exasperation.  “You’ve got no reason to think any of that.  Orion loves you.  He’ll be here.”

“I just don’t want…”  She stopped herself just in time from inadvertently insulting her brother with a comparison to his and Penny’s relationship.  “I just don’t want anything to go wrong.  I don’t want to screw it up.”

“You’re not going to screw anything up.  You’re a beautiful bride about to have a wonderful wedding day,” Marty told her with a warm and wistful smile.  “Every bit as lovely as your mother did on the day we got married, in fact.  Orion’s going to be bowled over by that.”

“Oh, Dad…”

“I mean it.  And you know if I’m not worried, you don’t need to be.”

“I can’t help but think you’re just saying that to make me not worry.  Because I know how much you always worry.”

“Not about this.  Now try and relax and let us handle any bumps in the road that come up.”

“Marty!” Justine cut in sharply.

“What?”

“There aren’t going to be any bumps!”

“See?  He is kind of worried,” Tara muttered.

“I am not!  And I didn’t say there would be, I said if there were, we’d take care of them.”

“Right.  So even if there are bumps, we’ll flatten them, and I’ll be first in line to do it,” Wilbur added.  “So, like they said, don’t worry, okay?”

Tara’s fears proved unfounded, and Orion arrived in plenty of time, along with the handful of guests invited, mostly family.  Orion beamed when he saw how beautiful Tara looked in her wedding gown.  For a long time, this day seemed like it would have been an impossible dream, but despite everything, here they were, and he could not have been happier about it.  He joined her under the arch on cloud nine.  “You look amazing,” he whispered.

“Thank you.  I—you too,” she stammered, happy and flustered.  “I can’t believe this is really happening.”  It feels too good to be true.  Something has to go wrong, right?  Orion sensed that she was happy, but anxious, as if she could not quite believe it was possible for something like that to just go right.

But it did.  The sun even came out from behind the clouds it had been poking in and out of all day as the ceremony began.  Orion and Tara exchanged their vows and rings under the arch without a single mishap, misstep, or even a stutter.

When it was finished, they sealed it with a kiss and emerged from under the arch newly married and aglow with happiness.

“There’s our baby girl, married now!” Marty enthused to an equally happy Justine.  “Now both of our kids are starting their own families.”

“Complete with grandchild number two already en route.  Can’t wait to spoil him or her!”

“And you’ll soon have a playmate with your new cousin,” Maria remarked to Jessica.  “Remember to call Miss Tara ‘Aunt Tara’ now.  It’s official.”

“Wow.  My little brother is married now.  I think I just felt my first official ‘Plum, I’m getting old’ moment,” Patrick said, while Plumboptimus regarded him quizzically.

“Does a matrimonial ceremony accelerate aging?”

“No.  It’s, well, one of those human things.  Perspective.  Something that can make you realize how much time has passed.  Sometimes things don’t feel like they were as long ago as they actually were, even if logically, you know by the numbers.  You get what I mean?”

“An example of human subjectivity.”  It was not the first time an abstract emotional concept confused him, but his A.I. was attempting to comprehend it better.

“Exactly.”

As the newlywed couple walked from the arch together, Boyd and Susan also watched proudly.  “They look so lovely and happy,” she said.  “I wouldn’t have imagined the martial arts garden as a wedding venue, but it’s rather nice, if unconventional.  It suits them.”

Boyd nodded with her.  “It does.  It’s good seeing them so happy.  They deserve it.”

“Yeah,” Wilbur agreed.  “Tara was really anxious about today.  We tried to tell her there was nothing to worry about, but she was all nervous that something would happen anyway.  I’m glad it all went well for her.  No rain, no technical difficulties, or mishaps or whatever.  I give her a hard time sometimes about freaking out over everything, but I hate seeing her all upset all the time.”

“Oh, we know how that is.”  Susan gave Boyd a knowing look.  “But like you said, it all worked out.  Remember to cite this in the future as a precedent if that helps.”

“It’s almost like you’ve used that tactic before,” Boyd murmured wryly, while Iris smirked.

“Not like it always works.  It takes an act of the Watcher to stop you from worrying sometimes, Dad.  But for this, at least, nobody needed to.  I thought it was a nice wedding, and Tara’s dress was so pretty!  When I first heard they were having it here, I wondered if they were going to wear their martial arts uniforms and do it barefoot or something.”

Susan looked aghast.  “Was he actually thinking of doing that?”

“He didn’t say so, but I could see him wanting to.  You know how he is.”

“Well, no one could say that wouldn’t have been a unique ceremony,” remarked Boyd.

“Yes, well, call me old-fashioned, but I’m glad he decided to stay somewhat traditional,” Susan said.  “Speaking of which, do you know if she’s doing the bouquet toss?”

“Why?  Eager to get me married off, too, and make it four for four of us?” Iris teased.

“I should hope not, considering you’re planning on going to Sims U next semester after you graduate, and taking a full credit load.  I just wondered if they were doing one, that’s all.  It’s a cute tradition, and I get a kick out of watching it.”

“It’s okay, Mom. I was just joking anyway.  You don’t need to worry.  I’m in no rush to get under the arch.  Besides, I think it’d be funnier if Esme caught it again.  Tad turned colors last time.”  She noticed Wilbur’s curious look and elaborated.  “Back when Patrick and Maria got married, Esme caught Maria’s bouquet.  She was around Hilda’s age then, so Tad got all serious like ‘no way,’ which made it even funnier, and he snatched it out of her hands like a grumpy papa bear.  He did give it back, but still.”

“You know, far be it from me to lend credence to unscientific superstition, but it wasn’t all that long after that, that Tad and Chris eloped,” Boyd pointed out.

“But it wasn’t Esme who got married, and she caught it, so… whatever.  I think the only unmarried ladies here are me, Esme, Hilda, and Penny anyway.”

Wilbur quietly changed the subject after that, and Iris wondered if perhaps she had inadvertently stepped in some fertilizer there, but she shrugged it off.  Penny could probably use the bouquet’s alleged magic or good luck if she caught it, and if it was Esmeralda or Hilda, Tad and Chris’ reactions would be amusing.  And if she caught it?  Well, even if she was not in any rush to settle down, odds were that she would get married sooner than Esmeralda or Hilda simply because she was so much older than them.

Their discussion was moot in the end since the bouquet toss never happened.  It was not clear whose idea it was, but Tara just gave her bouquet to Penny.  She said it was because she had remarked on how pretty it was and to thank her for not minding that Wilbur was busy helping with the wedding all day, but some suspected she might have come to that decision with hinting or nudging from either Justine, eager to see her son married as well, or Maria, hoping to push the odds in favor for her best friend to finally marry the father of her son.

After the ceremony, there was a small reception with cake and refreshments inside, but the spring weather was nice, so the guests were in and out.  Blair, Cycl0n3, and Travis congratulated Orion.  “We wanted to catch you and Tara together to tell you how happy we are for you, but I just couldn’t wait.  Congratulations!”  She hugged him.

“Penny and Tad have your bride cornered inside by the cake giving her baby advice,” Cycl0n3 added with a bit of amusement.  “And Miss Romantic here couldn’t wait for them to shut up, and was too polite to tell them so, so she could move on.”

“Don’t know what advice Tad can give about babies anyway.  All their kids were already old enough to be in school by the time they adopted them,” Travis remarked.

“Well, he did help take care of Caleb when he was a baby.  And thanks.”  Orion smiled, still aglow with post-nuptial happiness.  “I’m glad you were all here.”

“I’m sure you’ll be very happy!  Marrying the love of your life, it’s one of the most amazing things there is!”

“Yeah, marriage has been pretty good to us,” Cycl0n3 agreed with a fond look at Blair, who could not help but remember how happy she was on her wedding day.  “I hope it treats you just as well, Chief Engineer.”

“Thanks, Cycl0n3.”

Chris arrived a little later than the others thanks to being stuck at the hospital, but he made it just in time to see the ceremony.  “Congrats, Orion!  It was a nice wedding.”

“Yeah, which I’m sure Mom’s going to remind you she didn’t get with you,” Travis teased his older brother.  “She was going on all morning about how nice this was, and she sure hopes you and Tad renew your vows someday and have a beautiful spring or summer ceremony when you do.  And how she’d love to see Esme, Hilda, and Raul all dressed up in the wedding party.”

“Ha.  I barely had time to make it to this wedding with my schedule, and she wants me to plan that?  Good luck on that one, Mom.  She’s better off just waiting for you to get hitched, if Starla ever wants to marry your surly little plumbob.”

He rolled his eyes.  “Well, you managed to find someone who’ll put up with you, so I’m not too worried about my chances.  And if I ever do marry Starla, it won’t be in a tacky Lucky Palms casino wedding that gets me whined at by Mom and poked fun at by Dad for years to come.”

“Speaking of tacky,” Chris turned to Orion with a knowing grin, “did you wear them?”

Orion smirked.  “Not yet.”

Travis looked between them.  “I know I’m going to regret asking, but what?”

“Me and Tad and Patrick picked out some lucky boxers for Orion for his wedding.   Like you know how brides do the something old, something new, something borrowed, something—”

Travis made a face.  “You really shouldn’t use ‘something borrowed’ and ‘boxers’ in the same sentence…”

“They weren’t borrowed, you llama turd!  It’s a figure of speech.  And I’ll have you know these lucky boxers are very cool.  We picked them out carefully for Orion’s big event.”

“Oh, I’m sure they radiate taste and class, then.”

Chris gave Orion a curious look.  “So, you’re not wearing them for the wedding day?”

“Nah.  Saving them for the honeymoon.”

“Ah, because on that, you plan to get lucky multiple times?” he asked with a grin, to which Orion had no further comment, but mirrored with one of his own.

Susan and Boyd were talking and reminiscing when Cycl0n3 came over to chat.  “So, how’s it feel to see seventy five percent of your children now married off with grandchildren already or incoming?”

“Like we’ve got a big and wonderful family.”  Susan refused to dignify his trolling attempt at calling them old with the response he wanted.

“And we all know you’re looking forward to your new niece or nephew, too.  Blair told me you even looked at baby stuff online with her,” Boyd added.

“She wouldn’t go for most of the alien or outer space themed things I pointed out to her, though.  Even the cute ones.”  He gave Boyd a look.  “Not because it was in bad taste, but because she didn’t want me to do anything to make ‘Dad even more paranoid.’  That’s what I get for helping out.”

“Like a rocket ship onesie or a galaxy mobile is going to set me off?  Really?  I’m not that bad.  I worry about things like the,” he lowered his voice to make sure no one had wandered within earshot before continuing, “Galaxa, or Eni Jish Xip and her pals randomly stopping in for visits where nosy neighbors that aren’t you can see them.  Not toys and clothes.”

“Try not to take it personally,” said Susan.  “I’m sure she meant well and was just trying to be considerate.”

“Yeah, I know, but… I’m not really that bad, am I?”

Cycl0n3 opened his mouth, then paused and glanced in the direction of the door leading inside.  “You know what? it’s starting to get chilly.  I think I’m going to go get my jacket.  See you guys later.”

Boyd was too amused, if not impressed, to be offended.  “Wow.  That was pretty diplomatic for Cycl0n3.”

“Yes.  We should give him a cookie.  He can be taught,” Susan remarked wryly.  “And for the record, no, you’re not that bad, but you have been a little edgier than usual lately about this stuff.  Not saying it’s without reason, the baby and the wedding were big surprises sprung on us, and it is important.  But the stress does show at times.”

“I know,” Boyd admitted.  “Thanks for bearing with me.  I really do want to believe everything will be all right.  It’s just… I worry.”

“I understand.  He’s our son.  We want the best for him.  I wish we could’ve given him the kind of normal life that Blair and Patrick and even Iris have, without the need to keep those kinds of secrets.  But we did the best we could.”

“I know.  And now that he’s grown up and out on his own, I hope it’s enough.  At least he’s happy, with a wife that understands, and a little grandbaby on the way.”

Susan nodded.  “Which we really need to get that plumbot finished in time for.  Guess I know what we’ll be working on in our spare time for a while.”

“I think we can make it.  Maybe even finish up the one for Chris and Tad, too.”

“They sure can use it.  Did I tell you Tad asked if he could borrow Plumboptimus to steam clean their living room?”

“Kids made a mess, huh?”

She chuckled.  “Nope.  Chris and Tad.  Tad was carrying a pitcher of bright red fruit punch out to the coffee table when Chris came home, tripped on a toy, then stumbled to avoid stepping on Diddy only to fall right into Tad and send it flying.  The rugs, upholstery, everything—bright fruit punch red.  Apparently, it looks, and I quote, ‘like someone murdered the Kool-Aid man in our living room!’”

“Good thing we planned to put the cleaning chip in their bot anyway.  Think we should consider a handy-bot one, too?”

“Might not be a bad idea.”

After the wedding, Orion and Tara went home that night for the first time as a married couple.  Although they would be leaving for a honeymoon in the morning, they wanted to travel after resting, so they spent their wedding night at their house.

When they got there, Orion surprised Tara by picking her up and carrying her over the threshold—an old tradition, but one that Maria had assured him before the wedding was super romantic and sweet.  “Whoa!  I totally did not expect that!” Tara giggled.  “I’m pregnant, not made of glass.  I can walk just fine.”

“I know.  But it was still fun.  If you didn’t have a medical lifting restriction, I’d offer to let you take a turn carrying me if you wanted.  In fact, I think that’d be pretty cool.”

“Even if you didn’t weigh more than me, trying that in these shoes?  No way.”  She smooched him as he set her down.

Offline Cheezey

• Immortal
Brilliant Minds: The Wainwrights of Sunset Valley - Chapter 132 Part Two
« Reply #364 on: December 20, 2020, 11:07:43 PM »

Their honeymoon was short but sweet, a long weekend in the bustling city of Bridgeport.  Given the special concerns with her pregnancy, Tara did not want to leave the country in case there was an emergency or incident.  Bridgeport was a flight across Sim Nation, but at least they could easily contact their family if something happened.  Orion was not that worried, but Tara was, and the last thing he wanted was for her to spend their honeymoon stressed about it.

But even though it did not have the traditional appeal of the islands or the exciting adventures found overseas, Bridgeport was one of Sim Nation’s largest cities, rich with culture and shows, events, and night life, and neither of them had ever been there before.  They were eager to see the sights, try new cuisine, and, of course, cozy up in their honeymoon suite.  Maybe they would even meet one of the vampires that everyone said lived there.  According to Cameron, who was born and grew up in Bridgeport, that was true.  He once told Orion that when he asked him, and Orion was super curious about whether he would be able to sense anything otherworldly about a vampire like he had with the mummy.  Well, after he accidentally awakened it, anyway.  But hopefully, any vampire encounters would not go like that one had, both for his sake and especially Tara’s, who would likely take something like that about as well as his father had the mummy incident.

When they arrived, they checked into their room, a cozy corner suite in one of the high-rise hotels.  “Wow.  We’re so high up.”  Tara looked out the window.  “The view is amazing, but I wonder what happens if there’s a fire?”

“There are plenty of safe exits,” he assured her, taking her hand.  “We don’t need to worry.  Besides, I could probably bust a water main with my powers if I had to.”

“That probably would work, but I can only imagine what the bill for damages would be,” she replied with an anxious half-smile.

“Luckily, I’m rich, and I don’t think we’ll be setting any fires anyway.”  He gave her a flirtatious look.  “Except maybe in the sheets.”

She couldn’t help but giggle.  “Cute line, Casanova.  I’ll hold you to that.”

He grinned.  “I hope so.”

She did indeed, although they went out for lunch at an outdoor café and took a tour through one of Bridgeport’s famous museums before settling into their hotel room for the night.  She wanted to shower and change after they got back, and while she freshened up, Orion waited for her in his lucky honeymoon boxers.

He was the one surprised, though, when Tara emerged from the bathroom wearing some fancy lingerie that he had never seen her in before.  “Wow!  You look amazing.”

She smiled, blushing a bit.  “Thanks.  It’s different than anything I ever wore before.  I mean, I think I’d die if my parents did me a favor by doing my laundry or something and found this in it.”

“Well, feel free to wear something like that to bed at our house anytime you want.”

She gave him a coy look.  “Speaking of which, love those sexy hearts you’re sporting.”

“I was told they’re lucky, even if they are kind of—”

“Over the top?”  She ran her hand down his side as he pulled her close.  “Yes, they are.”

“I could take them off if you don’t like them.”

“I wouldn’t say I don’t like them, but you can take them off anyway,” she teased.

“Guess they are lucky, then,” he murmured as their lips met in a kiss right before he obliged her.

Although they spent plenty of romantic time in their suite on their honeymoon, they also visited several of Bridgeport’s famous landmarks.  One was the butterfly esplanade.  The city had several parks, but that one was the most unique.  The domed habitat was maintained by a local wildlife conservation group, and it was home to several rare and exotic species of birds and butterflies, as well as a lovely flower garden.  “It’s so pretty in here,” Tara remarked.  “I bet it is at night, too.”

“Probably.  The sign said they have a firefly population that comes out after dark.”

“Maybe we could come back and watch the stars or something?”  She paused and lowered her voice.  “Unless you think would that attract…?”

“Nah.  I don’t think so.  But the city lights probably dim a lot of the stars compared to what we see back home.”  He noticed a cluster of red butterflies near them and paused to observe them.  “Wow.  They really let us get close.”

“Living here in the city, I guess they’re used to people.”

Orion held out his hand, and one fluttered onto it.  “Guess so.”  He smiled as it rested for a moment, and then fluttered off again to a nearby flower.

Another landmark that they toured was the Plumbob Pictures movie studio.  It was perhaps the most well-known and prestigious studio in Sim Nation and many A-list actors lived in the city.  Although they did not get a chance to see any movies currently being filmed, and they did not get to meet anyone famous on the tour, it was still exciting to see the sets and props for so many popular films and learn about the industry and how things were done.

“My parents are going to love that picture of us by the jet from Top Laser,” Orion remarked as he saved it to his phone.  “It’s so cool we got to see this stuff.”

“I know!  And I never would’ve known that same castle set was used in so many different movies with just some tweaks and changes.  That’s so cool.  I’ve seen both The Dungeon Stepchild and Siege of Dragon Valley, and I had no idea.  It almost makes me want to watch them over again to look for it.  Maybe I should while I’m out on maternity leave in my third trimester.”

“I wonder if Travis ever realized.  He’s such a horror movie buff, and I know he’s seen a bunch of the movies they mentioned.”

They also went to a game at Bridgeport’s famous LlamaCo Stadium.  Tara’s connections as Marty Keaton’s daughter got them excellent seats that were not available to the general public, even with the benefit of the Wainwright family money.  Marty himself had played there with the Llamas numerous times back in the day, and even though they were not a Bridgeport home team, they were well known and respected, even by their rivals.

That night, the home team won the game, and even though neither Orion nor Tara were hardcore fans of either team playing, it was still a close and exciting game, and they had a fun night out.

After the game, they went to the Bridgeport Sports Zone to grab some better refreshments than overpriced stadium hot dogs.  There was a band playing there—not as good as Red Rooster Crisis, they both agreed, and not just out of loyalty to their brothers in said band—but still decent.  They spent a few hours there relaxing, chatting, enjoying the music, and doing some people watching.  That got a little more interesting when Tara went up to the bar to get a refill on her club soda.

She had just placed her order when she felt like someone was staring at her.  It filled her with a sense of unease and spiked her anxiety, especially when she looked over and saw a tall, pale woman with bright eyes looking right at her.  “I—excuse me,” Tara said after a moment.  “Are you…?  Do you know me?  I feel like you’re staring at me?”

She raised an eyebrow.  “Did I make you uncomfortable?  My apologies.”  Her tone was not rude, but it was direct, and Tara felt even more nervous the longer she made eye contact with her.  “You reminded me of someone, that’s all.”

“Oh.  I’m sorry.  I didn’t mean to be rude.  I, uh, I’ll—”

“Is everything okay?”  Orion came over after he noticed how edgy Tara looked, and immediately he realized why.  The woman she was talking to practically radiated a strange energy, something that felt dark and predatory, like an animal on the hunt.  But it was not quite animal, or human, for that matter.  Up close, Orion noticed how pale she was, and then it was obvious.  So that’s what a vampire is like.

“It’s fine,” Tara said, although Orion could tell she was still on edge.

“There’s no problem.”  The woman turned and stared at him, her eyes glowing with a red tinge.  He sensed that she sensed something off about him, too, and suddenly, it felt like she was trying to read his thoughts.  He did not like that at all, and he immediately closed himself off mentally, although that went both ways, and now he could not sense anything from her or anyone else, either.  If it fazed her, though, it did not show, and she smiled ever so slightly.  “I can tell you’re not from around here.  Tourists?”

“Yeah.  We’re from Sunset Valley.”

“I see.”  Her eyes lingered on Orion a moment longer.  “I’ve heard of it, but I’ve never been there.  They say it’s nice.  Lots of sunny beaches.  But those aren’t my thing, personally.”  She turned to Tara.  “Now I know who you remind me of, though.  A ball player from Sunset Valley.  Someone I met a long time ago.  You look a bit like him.  Anyway, enjoy your stay in Bridgeport, and have a nice evening.”  She picked up her drink off the counter and wandered off into the crowd.

Even after she left, Tara still felt unnerved.  “Orion, I… I don’t feel that great.  Mind if we just pay our tab and go?”

“Not at all.  Let’s go.”

After they took the elevator upstairs, Tara broke down in the hallway.  “Orion!  That woman, she was so creepy!  I don’t know for sure, but I could swear… do you think she could be—?”

“A vampire?  Yeah.  I think she was.”

“Oh, Watcher.”  Tara’s stomach lurched, more from nerves than pregnancy or indigestion.  “And the way she was staring at me!  I know she said I reminded her of someone, but what if she was looking at me like dinner?!”

Orion looked around, concerned.  He did not see or sense that the vampire or anyone else with energy like hers was still around, and he took a step closer to comfort her.  “I don’t think she wanted to feed on you.”

“How can you be sure?  You could tell she was one.  How?  Did she give off evil undead energy or something?”

“She had a weird vibe.  Something different, kind of dark.  Sort of like the mummy in Egypt, but not that same type of evil or dark magic feeling.  Like hers was something that was more human-ish, but not fully human or normal.  But also not like that dark cursed magic feeling the mummy had.  This was different.  Maybe a little more animalistic?  But like a supernatural animal, not like a bear or a lion or even a werewolf like Maria.  I don’t know how to explain it better because it’s just something I felt.”

“And you don’t think she wanted to chow down on me?  You could sense that?”

“It didn’t feel like it, but I couldn’t read her thoughts.  I think she can shield them.  It felt like she can read people’s thoughts like I can.  I think she tried to probe mine because she didn’t know what the hell I was.”  He paused.  “I put up a mental block when I realized that, though, so I don’t think she got anything.”  He hoped not, anyway.  That was the last thing he wanted—a random vampire discovering that the rich Wainwright touring the city with his pregnant wife was an alien.  His father would probably have a heart attack and die on the spot.  But he was not going to worry Tara with that.  “But I didn’t get any sense that she was predatory toward you before all of that.  Just curious.  Maybe you really did remind her of someone.”

“Yeah, a ball player, she said?”  She met Orion’s eyes.  “Do you think she met my dad?  His team did play here a bunch of times.”  She frowned.  “You don’t think… I mean, even if he did meet her, it had to have been something like she met members of the team when they went out for drinks after a game, right?  You don’t think he ever had an affair with her, do you?”

“Your dad, family man that he is?  No way.  If they did have a thing, it had to have been before he was with your mom.  But it was probably just something like you said, he met her hanging out at a bar or club after a game in a friendly way.  And she remembers him because, hey, Marty Keaton is pretty memorable in the sports world.”

“If it was before he was with Mom, that would’ve been a really long time ago.  I’m not even sure he was with the Llamas yet then.  And that lady was so much younger than him.”  She paused.  “Well, maybe not, if vampires are really immortal like they say.  She could be a lot older than she looks.  Who knows how old she really is?”  She sighed.  “Anyway, let’s get back to our hotel.”

Before they got back, Tara felt better, and when they got out of their cab, her stomach rumbled now that her nerves had lightened up.  “I can’t believe I’m saying this, but the food from that truck over there smells amazing.”

“Let’s get something, then.  I’m good with a late-night snack.”

“Everything is probably fried to a crisp and dripping with grease, but I still want it.”  She laughed.  “I wonder if this is my first pregnancy craving.”  She read the menu and pointed to a double bacon cheeseburger with all the toppings including some fries on the burger itself.  “Yes.  That.  I want that.  I just hope the baby and I don’t get heartburn.”

“I’m sure you’ll be fine.”  He ordered himself a taco.  “Besides, Cameron said that food trucks are part of the full Bridgeport experience.  When I told him we were going here for our honeymoon and asked if there was anything he thought we should check out that might not be on tourist lists, he said, ‘You’ve got to hit one of the food trucks at least once.  Bridgeport’s are the best.’”

After their greasy but delicious food truck stop, they returned to their room with full bellies and in much better moods.  The unnerving vampire encounter aside, they had a good time overall and were glad to be back safe and snuggled up in their room.

“I’m glad you’re feeling better.”  Orion drew Tara close under the sheets, the only thing either of them had on at that point as they prepared for more honeymoon romance.

“Me too.  Even if I did add a garlic sauce packet to my burger just in case any vampires come back creeping around.”

Orion chortled.  “I don’t think we have to worry about that.  They can’t come in unless you invite them in, according to the movies.  That’s got to apply to hotel rooms, too.”  He smooched her.  “And nobody else is invited, especially not vampires.  For the rest of the night, it’s just you and me.”

And so it was.  Not only for that night, but the rest of their honeymoon was filled with fun, good times, and delightful memories as well.

Offline Cheezey

• Immortal
Happy Holidays!
« Reply #365 on: December 24, 2020, 04:08:17 PM »
In the spirit of the holidays, the Wainwrights are sharing their festive holiday family portraits.

This is the active household as it stands currently in the story.  Maria insisted that everyone look “festive, but classy” for Jessica’s first Snowflake Day.  “No tacky t-shirts with bad puns or glowing reindeer antler headbands, please,” were her exact words.  They were all happy to oblige, although nobody minded Boyd’s Santa hat or semi-questionably tacky tie. Buddy and Patches both got in the shot, too, since they live there, even though they aren't actively played.

Blair took a cue from her parents and sister-in-law and did one at her house, too.  She was a little less firm with the “festive, but classy” rule, and let Cycl0n3 pop on a candy cane top hat that he declared was classy, because, hey, it’s a top hat, right?  She did her own hair up in a bow, and even grumpy Travis got festive with a Santa hat and holiday shirt.  Even he doesn’t enjoy being a grinch on Snowflake Day.

This is Orion and Tara’s first Snowflake Day as a newlywed couple in their new home, so they posed for a holiday picture by the fireplace under the mistletoe.

Last, but not least, we have the Wolff-Sw0rd branch of the extended Wainwright clan and their holiday family portrait.  They, too, heard about Maria’s “festive, but classy” request, but they put their own spin on it.  Whether this has to do with the fact that Chris wore a cat t-shirt that said “Meowy Snowflake Day” while both Caleb and Hilda came to Grandma and Grandpa Wainwright’s holiday celebration sporting glowing reindeer horns last year has anything to do with it, is up to you to decide.  Magnanimous guy that he is, Chris certainly would not want to run afoul of his dear sister-in-law/aunt’s expressed wishes, and Tad certainly would never troll his beloved, if not dramatic, sister, now would he?

That said, the outfits are classy, because, like his father, Chris feels that his holiday fireworks top hat and candy cane tie going with his snowflake suit fits Maria’s rules perfectly.  As a bonus, the snowflake design hides the cat hair that dear old Diddy and his stray furry pals outside might leave on it.  The rest of the family just went with holiday sweaters, and Morgana and Caleb went the extra step of a Santa hat, but they all had fun with it.

And with that, I hope all of you reading have a great holiday season and happy new year!

Offline Supermanfan

• Llama Wrangler
Re: Brilliant Minds: The Wainwrights of Sunset Valley
« Reply #366 on: December 28, 2020, 09:08:08 PM »
Still have been reading this story, even if I don't comment on it. I've just been busier than usual since I got a new job last month. Anyway, great post of the Wainwrights Christmas/Snowflake Day. I always look forward to seeing the updates, but I'm always afraid Boyd or Susan will meet the Grim Reaper. Hope you had a great Christmas and that we all have a great 2021 because we really need a good year.
brandontaylor615

FYI, my name isn't really Brandon Taylor, it is just a name I used for one of my favorite Sims.

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline Cheezey

• Immortal
Brilliant Minds: The Wainwrights of Sunset Valley - Chapter 133
« Reply #367 on: January 30, 2021, 04:26:06 PM »
Still have been reading this story, even if I don't comment on it. I've just been busier than usual since I got a new job last month. Anyway, great post of the Wainwrights Christmas/Snowflake Day. I always look forward to seeing the updates, but I'm always afraid Boyd or Susan will meet the Grim Reaper. Hope you had a great Christmas and that we all have a great 2021 because we really need a good year.

Thanks for reading! I'm glad you're still following and enjoying it!  :)

I understand about being busy, as it took me over a month between chapters this time.  :-[  I am still working on it, though! 

As for Boyd and Susan, they are ancient, but still kicking along as far as I've played (about 4 game days ahead of the point in this chapter).  I'm amazed that they made it well past 90 considering they had all that bonus time with the age reset way back when on that Oasis Landing trip. Every time I do play the main file, I half expect Grim to show up for one of them at any second.  With my luck, when it happens, it will be at a birthday party, which would make for an entertaining write up, but I'd feel sorry for my sims.  :D

Chapter 133

After Orion’s wedding, Boyd and Susan worked hard to finish their two plumbots in progress.  They had learned a lot building Plumboptimus and Cybelle, so the process was faster than it had been in the past, but it still took some time.

The first one they completed was the one they started making for Chris before Orion’s engagement and Tara’s surprise pregnancy.  He was a purple and green plumbot with a somewhat similar build and frame to Plumboptimus, but with an advanced cyclops-style eye scanner that had a few different options than the dual models they used in him and Cybelle.  They called him Simwave, a name they saw in their brief peek into Emit’s almanac back in Oasis Landing.  It felt like a self-fulfilling prophecy, and even as they chose and programmed the name, they had a philosophical discussion about whether they actually had free will or not in doing so.  Were they always going to make the plumbot and name him that, almanac peeking or not, or had they simply chosen that name because they did see it and it felt like they should?  They had considered naming a bot that back when they were constructing Cybelle, but ultimately when they decided to program her to be more feminine, they chose that name instead.  Perhaps they would have just used the name on their next bot anyway.  Who could say for certain?

The second plumbot was a different design, another feminine bot that utilized a technology similar to that of the hoverboards for maneuvering.  They had no future hints for her name, but since she was going to Orion, named after a constellation himself, Susan mused that maybe they should just call her “Connie” for short.  The plumbot beeped favorably, as if she liked that, so they went with it.  Connie it was.

Both plumbots had similar trait chips.  They were programmed with an advanced artificial intelligence run on its own dedicated chip that bordered on sentience, allowing them a great degree of autonomy.  They also both had the solar-powered chips to make them more energy efficient, the utility chips for cleaning and caring for children, and the same chip Cybelle had allowing them to work in a job outside the home.  Like they had with Cybelle, Boyd and Susan gave Simwave and Connie part-time jobs at the lab with flexible hours that could be changed as needed.  Although they were not formally trained scientists, the plumbots were well-suited to simple tasks like cleaning and tending the cow plants.

Chris and Tad were thrilled with Simwave.  He was a huge help with the household chores, and everyone got a kick out of the sense of humor chip that Boyd and Susan gave him.  Tad remarked that he arrived just in the nick of time, considering that their full house was now that much fuller.  This time it was Chris who adopted, when he brought home a sweet, if not overly energetic, kitten that he adopted from a co-worker whose cat had kittens.  Although Chris was constantly befriending and feeding strays and ferals, he had not formally taken in any as pets because Diddy was so old and frail, and a bit territorial as well.  Tad and Chris did not argue often, but one thing Tad stressed was that if more cats came in and started spraying because they couldn’t get along, Chris would be the one cleaning it and replacing anything that got ruined.   

The little kitten had never been an outdoor cat, though, and Chris could not resist when his co-worker introduced him to her.  Thankfully, Diddy seemed to like her, and everyone else adored her, even Tad.  Chris had to rename her, however.  His previous owner had been calling her Maria, and while he found that utterly hilarious, especially whenever the kitten went out of her way to get attention, Tad shot that down fast.  “Yeah, no.  We both know how well Miss Princess will take us naming a hyper troublemaking kitten after her, even if it is cute.  And I’ll be the one she goes onto about it.  Well, me or Mom, but I’ll still have to hear all about it.”  He rolled his eyes.  “So think of something else.”

“Fair enough.”  He petted the kitten and made a cutesy face at her.  “We’ll just call you Princess, then.  Little Princess Maria, whose hissy fits are much cuter than the sister-in-law version.”

Connie was just as much of a hit with Orion and Tara.  They were excited when Boyd and Susan told her about her, and even more so once she was finished and came to live with them.  It was still just the two of them and the baby on the way, but having Connie to run errands and do the mundane chores around the house was a big help.  Orion developed a newfound appreciation for that after moving out on his own.  He never realized how much Plumboptimus, and before him, the maid service his parents hired, did.  Tara had not grown up with that luxury, but now that she had a plumbot to do the dishes, take out the trash, and clean the house, she loved it.

Boyd and Susan also installed an entertainment chip in Connie, although hers was one that enabled her to play a variety of musical instruments at high skill.  “Guess my parents thought I’d miss Patrick’s practice sessions,” Orion remarked as Connie rocked out on a bass for them.

“She’s pretty good.  Maybe Wilbur and Patrick should have her join the band.  From what I hear, she’d probably be more help with some stuff than Gretchen lately.  Wilbur told me she just found out she’s pregnant again and keeps saying she has to take it easy and leaves a bunch of extra work for everyone else during setup and stuff.  He said he told her it’s funny how I can still do normal things even though I’m farther along, and then he asked me if it’s just a llama load or if any of what she says is for real.  I’m like, I don’t know, I just do what I can and don’t push myself, but I don’t know if she has any complications or anything like that.  Don’t bring me into that so she gets mad at me.  I don’t want drama.  I’ve got enough stuff of my own to worry about.”

One of those things was the inevitable interest Sixam would have in their baby once they learned Tara was pregnant.  Right after they got back from the honeymoon, Orion and his parents contacted Eni Jish Xip from the lab to tell her the news.  She was happy for them, and told Orion that she was delighted that he had reconciled with his mate and that they had already begun procreating.  Then she warned them that they would want extensive data from the child, and their standard procedure involved at least one abduction for an exam and DNA extraction.  She said she understood how they felt about that and that she would make a case to her colleagues to make an exception, but the only thing she could promise was that no abductions would occur before she got back to them.

When she did, it was with the news that her colleagues had agreed to a compromise.  They would not abduct Tara to examine her and the unborn baby, but they wanted Eni Jish Xip to go herself and collect the data in a full personal examination.  Those were the only conditions they would approve, since if any other Sixam personnel were to be involved, it would require a mind wipe and time on the ship.  She arrived unexpectedly at the house one evening during Tara’s second trimester to tell them that, after making certain no one was there but Orion, Tara, and Connie.

“An… an exam?”  Tara bit her nails anxiously.  She had only met Orion’s alien biological mother one other time, at his birthday party, and it had been brief and awkward then.  This time, she was not even dressed like she was trying to pass for human, and while she was not rude or mean, Tara was terrified of her and what she might do.

“It will not be painful or cause trauma.  We of Sixam want to ensure your offspring are as robust and healthy as possible.  Your health as the mother is an integral part of that.”

“I think we have different definitions of trauma,” Tara muttered, while Orion turned to Eni Jish Xip.

“She’s nervous, and so am I, to be honest.”

“Yes.  I can sense that, but I am confused.  I hoped this would be welcome news to you, that we are honoring our agreement to not abduct members of your family.”

“Oh, we are grateful,” Orion said while taking Tara’s hand to calm her.  “It’s just that we don’t know what’s involved.  You said it won’t hurt, but will it take long?  Will she be conscious?  Can I be there with her?”

“You may witness the examination if you desire.”

“I desire,” Tara said nervously, giving Orion a pleading look.  “Please don’t go anywhere.”

“I’ll stay right here,” he promised.

The first part of the exam was a mental probe and link.  Tara was anxious about that, but since she had some familiarity with Orion’s powers, she hoped it would not be too bad.  It was similar, but more invasive and she felt like she had no control over her own faculties while it was happening.  She was not sure if that was because this time, it was not Orion, someone who loved her and respected her emotional boundaries, or if it was because Eni Jish Xip was doing something significantly different.  Either way, she did not like it.  She breathed hard, her fists clenched and heart pounding with her eyes closed tightly as Orion watched. 

Her distress was almost palpable to him, and it dredged up a stressful memory from his childhood, the time Eni Jish Xip spontaneously bio-boosted his father after Gunther Goth died at his party in a misguided attempt to console him.  Instead of comforting Boyd, it reminded him of his abduction, and he flipped out, re-living those terrifying feelings all over again.  It had been hard for Orion to watch then, and it was even harder to watch his wife experience something like that now.  “You’ll be okay,” Orion reassured Tara.  “It’ll be done soon.”

After that was over, Tara took a steadying breath while Orion comforted her and Eni Jish Xip brought over an ominous looking piece of equipment.  “You and the unborn child are in good health with no sign of unusual mutations or anomalies.  However, I need to take samples of cellular material back to Sixam for analysis and archival.  Assuming we find nothing outside of expected parameters, and that complications do not arise, we will not need to conduct any additional examinations until after your offspring is born.”

Tara’s eyes widened.  “Additional examinations?”

“Our standard procedure is to examine the baby once it is born, and to keep genetic samples for our records.  It is a simple procedure.  The only reason Orion Wainwright was not sampled at birth was because we engineered him and already had the necessary material and data when he was implanted.  You will not need to be examined again unless you experience complications during birth that require our advanced medical intervention.  With the offspring of our Earth children that live as humans, we leave your care to your human physicians and only intervene in specific emergent circumstances,” she explained as she held up her device.  “If you are ready, we can begin.”

Orion had no idea what her equipment was, but it looked off-putting, and Tara stared at it dubiously.  “What does that thing do?  I mean, to collect the DNA?”  She put a hand on her belly.  “You’re not cutting me open, are you?”

“It is a micro-laser.  My apologies.  Sometimes I forget that is not standard technology here yet.  It is painless, and while it does penetrate the flesh, it is small enough that it does not damage the tissue or disrupt any biological processes.  The most you will feel, if anything, is a slight pinch.  Just focus on the colorful aquatic bird replica and it will be done before you realize.”

Tara was skeptical, but she trusted Orion and tried to be brave.  She supposed that as difficult as this was, an abduction on a ship alone with a bunch of strange aliens who would wipe her mind afterward would be far worse.  At least here, she was with Orion in her own home, it was just his weird alien sort-of mother doing it, and she was awake, aware, and had some semblance of control over what was going on.

The test was not bad at all.  Tara was not sure if Eni Jish Xip used some kind of mind control suggestion or if it was just her own nerves that had her focused on the plastic duck, but before she knew it, Eni Jish Xip declared that she was finished and had the genetic samples she needed.

“Excellent.  That should be all we need.”

“That’s…. that’s it?”

“That is all.”

Eni Jish Xip came placed a hand on Tara’s belly in a way that seemed more affectionate and less clinical than she had been until now.  “The child is thriving within you and growing strong.  I am pleased to say that everything indicates you will have a healthy baby and simple delivery.  Do you have a name selected for your offspring?”

“We don’t even know for sure if we’re having a boy or a girl yet,” Tara replied.

Eni Jish Xip was surprised.  “You do not?  I had heard that some human women have an intuition about such things even without the abilities those of us from Sixam have, and failing that, your physicians will tell you in advance so you can better prepare.”

“Chris, he’s our doctor, he’s supposed to tell us for sure after an ultrasound soon.”

“Chris Wolff, the child of Blair Sw0rd and Cycl0n3 Sw0rd?  Orion Wainwright’s kin.  An ideal choice for a physician in this circumstance.”

Tara nodded, while Eni Jish Xip gave Orion a curious look.  “Are you able to sense it?  While I realize this is your first offspring, many Earth children like you can sense the consciousness of a child in utero.”

“Sometimes.  I think it might be a girl.”

“Yeah, he told me that,” Tara added.  “But we were waiting to see what the ultrasound said so we’d be sure before we decided on the name.”

“I see.  While I would not advise canceling the test in case it yields additional pertinent information, I can confirm that the child you are gestating is female.  You will bear a healthy and strong daughter.”

Orion beamed.  “So I was right, huh?  Cool!”   

“Wow, so we are having a girl.  Mom and Dad will be so excited when I tell them.”

Connie hovered over as they discussed the news.  “Congratulations on the good news about the baby.  I look forward to helping care for her.”

“Thanks, Connie,” Tara said.  “We’re glad you’re here to help.  I have a feeling we’re going to need it keeping up with a baby with powers like Orion’s.”

“Yeah, probably.  If Dad is to be believed, I gave him and Mom a healthy amount of their abundant gray hair.”  He chortled.  “Though I think Patrick and Iris and even good old Blair gave them their fair share, too.”

“As an Earth child who mated with a pure human, your hybrid child will have some abilities, although they may not be as strong as yours, Orion Wainwright.  It depends on the exact percentage of Sixam genetic material that she inherits.  But she should be able to do much of what you can.”  She patted Tara on the shoulder.  “Thank you for your cooperation with this examination, Tara Wainwright.  I know that it was difficult for you emotionally.  I am very glad that you and Orion Wainwright are having a family.  And Orion Wainwright, as an Earth child that I helped create, it gives me a great sense of pride to see you achieve such success and happiness.”

“Thanks,” Orion replied.  He was not sure how to feel about Eni Jish Xip sometimes, and it felt strange to call her family exactly, but given their connection, he appreciated the sentiment.  “And thanks for making an exception for us.”

“I am pleased to honor my agreement with you and your family, Orion Wainwright.  It was a pleasure seeing you again, but I must return to the ship now that the exam is over.  Please give my well wishes to Boyd Wainwright and Susan Wainwright and your other kin.”

“I will.”

“Goodbye.  I am certain I will see you again at some interval.”  They escorted her out the door, and once she was two steps off of the porch, a beam of light engulfed her, and she vanished into the night.

“That is so weird.”  Tara stared at the spot where Eni Jish Xip had been while Connie scanned the area curiously and Orion stood by Tara’s side.

“You get used to it after a while,” he remarked, and put an arm around her as they headed back inside.

Orion and Tara were not the only ones adjusting to changes in their life.  While Iris did not have a new plumbot or alien baby on the way, her final year of high school was almost over, and she would soon be graduating.  Today they were having their last field trip, an educational tour of the bistro organized by the school’s arts department.  It was a fun outing, much more exciting than a run of the mill cooking class, especially when they got to participate in some supervised cooking projects.

First, one of the chefs demonstrated the preparation of one of their specialty house salads.  “I can practically hear my dad pointing out everything he’s doing wrong,” Rashida murmured to Iris.  “I can’t watch cooking shows with him for that reason.  Mom would notice, too, but she wouldn’t go on about it the same way.”

“I guess growing up with two chefs, it’d be hard for them to impress you.”

She shrugged.  “Well, they both worked in restaurants like this before the bakery, so I’ve heard a lot about cooking my whole life.  Kind of like how you’ve heard about science and biology and robotics and that stuff.”

“Yeah, but unlike you, I got sucked into it and like it.  They’re thrilled I’m following in the family business and studying it at Sims U.  You surprised them both saying you wanted to do the writing and journalism thing.”

“Well, your parents were always happy together and love their work.  My parents were miserable llamas half the time and had more of a love-hate relationship with it.  They love the cooking but hate the stress of the business.”  She paused.  “Kind of like they are with each other.  Love and hate, though I guess hate won in the end.”

It had been a while now since Emma left Jared for good and moved out with Rashida and her sister Edna, and both Emma and Jared had since moved on romantically with new lovers.  Emma was involved with Lester’s middle-aged half-brother, Sam Sekemoto, while Jared was seeing one of Emma’s old friends, Ayesha Ansari.  Iris asked Rashida if either relationship was weird for her, but Rashida was just glad to see her mother happy with someone who cared about her, even if it was odd that it was Lester’s brother.  As for her father and Ayesha, she said that her mother was cool with it, so she was, too.  Apparently, Emma’s feelings were that if Ayesha knew what Jared was like and still wanted him and his drama, that was her dumb decision and she was welcome to him, because she was done with him herself.

“So, yeah, I’d rather not be like them and live a life of Chopping Block Kitchen.  I like writing anyway, so I might as well go into journalism and have a career with less stressful things like covering shocking crime stories and tracking hurricanes,” Rashida joked.

“Speaking of what we’re doing after graduation, has Cameron heard from Sims U yet?” Kristal asked.  She was trying one of the demonstrations set up for the students, using the deep fryer to cook the restaurant’s popular onion finger appetizer.  “I can’t imagine they wouldn’t accept him, especially since he’s Simstagram famous for athletics and that’s the program he’d go into there, even if his grades are right on the border of what they take.  You said his aptitude test score was good, though, right?”

“It was high enough.”  Cameron had scored above their lowest limit on what they would accept, but only by about ten percent, and that had been with extra tutoring prior to the test.  Iris had been somewhat disappointed by that, but academics were not his passion or his strong suit.

“They’re cutting it pretty close,” Rashida remarked.  “They ought to let him know soon one way or another, so he knows what offer to take before deadlines.”

“He’s got a while before that,” Iris pointed out.  “But yeah, they’re taking their sweet time about it.”

“Hey, on the subject of taking their time, your boyfriend ought to take a moment to consider how stupid waving fire around in a commercial kitchen showing off like some wannabe TV chef is,” Kristal remarked to Rashida, gesturing to Alfonso, who was attempting some fancy trick by one of the grills.

“Oh, Watcher,” Rashida muttered, although she was more amused than worried.  Alfonso had always been a thrill-seeking type who was the first to volunteer for crazy stunts or dares, so she was used to it, despite having accompanied him to urgent care a time or two for minor injuries arising from miscalculated risks.  Iris fell somewhere between Kristal and Rashida, entertained by his showing off but also thinking she would never be dumb enough to try a reckless stunt that if it failed, could burn her or start a fire.

Fortunately, it turned out mostly fine.  Alfonso successfully lit the food ablaze after his showy flourishes, and it went up in an impressive plume of flame.  However, on the downswing with the match, it came a touch too close to a classmate’s hair.  A shriek and a flail later, it went out, and she was fine, but Alfonso apologized profusely to her anyway.

“Well, at least he didn’t burn the place down,” Kristal said dryly.

“Candace was about ready to burn him down, though,” remarked Iris.  “Not that I could blame her.”

Rashida snickered.  “Think Lane would’ve rushed to the rescue with the fire extinguisher?”

“Sure, assuming he could lift it, anyway.  The gym never was his thing.”  Candace was the girl Lane was currently seeing, and he consoled her after exchanging a few brusque words with Alfonso.  Although the old prom drama was long over with, he and Alfonso had never gotten chummy again.  Iris was glad that she and Rashida had managed to get past it and could share a laugh about anything related to Lane now that he was an ex-fling to them both, but she supposed it was probably harder for Alfonso since he was still with Rashida, who had cheated on him with Lane back then.

Apparently, Iris and her friends’ conversation had not been as private or quiet as they assumed, and Lane had overheard at least some of it.  “Your average fire extinguisher only weighs like twenty or twenty-five pounds, you know,” he remarked in a low voice while removing one of the demonstration dishes from the oven as she filled her cup with hot water for herbal tea.  “You’d think a science whiz plantsim who’s sensitive to fire would know something like that.”

She was mildly embarrassed he had heard her catty remark, but the dig at her common sense rankled, so she doubled down.  “Oh, I do.”

He gave her a pointed look.  “Then I guess it’s your memory that’s faulty?  I never had any trouble picking you up.  Literally or figuratively.”  He smiled.  “You’re light, but not quite that light.”

She mirrored his sarcastic smile with one of her own.  “How cute.  You were never into lifting back when we were dating.  Is having a Simstagram fitness star our age in town inspiring you to get in shape?  That’s wonderful.  I’m sure Candace will be very impressed.”

“She is.  Thanks.  We’re looking forward to impressing everyone at Foxbury next year.  She and I both got in, easy peasy.  Speaking of which, I hear you got into Sims U.  Congratulations.”

She wondered if that was a small talk compliment or another little dig about Cameron, but she had no idea how much of her conversation with her friends he had actually heard.  She decided just to take it in the spirit it was said, picked up her cup, and turned to leave.  “Thanks.”

“No problem.”  He paused, and then added with subtle but unmistakable emphasis, “Hope your boyfriend does, too.”

So he had heard.  That annoyed her more than she was willing to admit, but she was not about to give him the satisfaction of knowing that.  Instead, she kept a smile plastered on her face and her tone as sweet as could be.  He’s probably just jealous because he knows I was the best he’s ever going to get, and he blew it, she thought arrogantly.  Although she had nothing personal against his current girlfriend, and she seemed nice enough, Iris couldn’t help but think that if an objective comparison was to be made, she would come out the clear winner.

“I’m sure he will,” Iris said confidently.  He will.  You’ll see.

Offline Supermanfan

• Llama Wrangler
Re: Brilliant Minds: The Wainwrights of Sunset Valley - Chapter 133
« Reply #368 on: February 03, 2021, 04:09:02 PM »

Thanks for reading! I'm glad you're still following and enjoying it!  :)

I understand about being busy, as it took me over a month between chapters this time.  :-[  I am still working on it, though! 

As for Boyd and Susan, they are ancient, but still kicking along as far as I've played (about 4 game days ahead of the point in this chapter).  I'm amazed that they made it well past 90 considering they had all that bonus time with the age reset way back when on that Oasis Landing trip. Every time I do play the main file, I half expect Grim to show up for one of them at any second.  With my luck, when it happens, it will be at a birthday party, which would make for an entertaining write up, but I'd feel sorry for my sims.  :D

Glad to hear they are still alive to where you played at the time you posted this. I'm hoping they live a bit longer but I know their time will come soon.

Lol, that could happen as I've had it happen to me a lot of times.

Still finishing reading the newest update, will comment a bit more then.
brandontaylor615

FYI, my name isn't really Brandon Taylor, it is just a name I used for one of my favorite Sims.

Offline Cheezey

• Immortal
Brilliant Minds: The Wainwrights of Sunset Valley - Chapter 134
« Reply #369 on: June 26, 2021, 10:15:30 PM »
Glad to hear they are still alive to where you played at the time you posted this. I'm hoping they live a bit longer but I know their time will come soon.

Lol, that could happen as I've had it happen to me a lot of times.

Still finishing reading the newest update, will comment a bit more then.

I realize this reply is months after the original comment, but in case you're still following, thanks for reading and commenting. Despite the long break I haven't given up on the story or the save it's based on. :)

Author’s Note:  Wow! It’s been five months since the last update. I realize it probably looked like I abandoned the story, but no, it was just a long break that got away from me.  I’m back, though!  This chapter was also originally going to cover what will be in the next one, but this part ended up long enough that I felt it should be its own.  If you’re still here, thanks for reading and your continued interest!

Chapter 134

Between chasing around an inquisitive toddler and working on her novel, Maria had not gotten out of the house much as of late.  So, when Penny invited her out for coffee and a snack at the bakery, she eagerly accepted even though Gretchen was also invited.  Truth be told, while she found Gretchen annoying, she did not hate her.  Besides, she was curious about seeing her after what she learned second hand through Patrick’s work rants about her.  Gretchen was pregnant again, and just like with her last two children, she had not planned this one, either.  Maria snidely took pleasure in the fact that both Gretchen and Julius were apparently not bright enough to figure out contraception, although she did not say that to anyone but Patrick, who just laughed.  He still did not like Julius, and while he did like Gretchen, he did not appreciate having to pick up her slack at work when she used her pregnancy and having to take it easy as an excuse to do “jack plum but sing” during rehearsals and shows.

Gretchen was not there yet when Maria met up with Penny.  “Hey!  How’s it going?” Penny greeted her.  “It feels like it’s been forever since we’ve had a chance to hang out.”

“I know, right?”  Maria sat down with her order and joined her.  “Jessica and working on my book have kept me so busy lately.  It feels like I hardly leave the house anymore.”

“Even with all that help from Plumboptimus and the grandparents, huh?  She must be a real wild child.  Though I’m still jealous of your plumbot.  Wish I had one to do my laundry!”

“He does a lot, I’m not going to lie, but Jess still gets into so much.  Trust me.”  She lowered her voice slightly.  “I think she got the weird Wainwright gene that makes them want to poke into everything to see how it works.  I don’t think most kids her age have to take every single remote and take out the batteries and put them back in or try to fit them from one into another instead of just, I don’t know, playing with the peg box.  Oh, boy.  You should’ve heard Boyd when he caught her playing ‘fit the charger into the slot’ when she decided that huge charging tower they set up in the living room was a toy.  You wouldn’t think someone so old could freak out that loud, but I heard him clear across the house at my computer in the study.”

“Wow.  She didn’t get hurt, did she?”

Maria waved her hand.  “No.  She was fine, and she didn’t break anything, either.  Plumboptimus only left her for like a minute to move the laundry from the washer to the dryer.  But holy spinning plumbobs, she’s fast, and I swear both he and Susan have ESP for stuff like that.”  She sighed.  “Which of course I heard about.  Not exactly mean or rude but just, ugh, on and on and on about it.  Don’t get me wrong, I love them, and I appreciate that they try to help, but… you know how it can be.”

“Oh, yeah,” Penny said with a nod of understanding.  “Lisa always has lots of opinions on what I should or shouldn’t be doing with Rodrigo and Sonia when I watch her after school.  And that’s fine for her kid.  Sonia’s my niece and I don’t even mind babysitting, but sometimes the unsolicited advice or that huffy tsk-tsking when I don’t take it with my own son gets really old.  Or all the unsolicited relationship advice from the woman who decided that VJ Alvi was prime true love and father material.”  She rolled her eyes.  “Wilbur might have his issues, but at least none of them are a criminal record a mile long.”

“Speaking of those who make questionable life choices, and since she’s not here yet, what exactly is the deal with Gretchen and Julius and the new baby?  I know they’re back together since the last one, but really, isn’t this like her third ‘whoopsie’ kid?  How do you screw up, if you pardon the expression, that many times before you figure it out?”

“I don’t think it’s so much that she doesn’t get how it works as that she plays the odds, and she’s a plum gambler,” Penny said wryly.

“Obviously, considering she settled on Julius, for the Watcher’s sake.  And now she wants to marry that llama.  I guess it’s good that they love each other, but I don’t know what she sees in him.  He sure is a downgrade from Jamaal.”

“From what she’s said, they can only stand to talk to each other when they have to about Darren, so I don’t think that flame’s ever getting re-kindled.  But he’s no prize, either.”  Penny had dated Jamaal Hart back in high school for about as long as Maria had Julius, and she felt similarly about him.  About then, Gretchen came in and Penny waved to let her know where they were sitting while she placed her order at the counter.  “There she is, anyway, if you want to ask her the gory details.”

“Hello, ladies,” Gretchen said cheerfully as she sat down with her drink.  “So nice to see you both!  It’s been forever!  Especially you, Maria!  The last time I saw you, I think you’d just had your baby, and she must be getting so big by now.”  She looked her over.  “You haven’t changed a bit.”

Something about the way she said it made Maria bristle.  She wasn’t sure if that was a subtle dig at her clothes, hair, or post-baby figure, or if she was implying that she was some frumpy house-mom that couldn’t keep up with the current style, but knowing Gretchen as long as she had, she was certain it was at least one of them and not just the pleasant small talk it was supposed to appear like.  “Oh, you haven’t, either,” she said through an equally saccharine smile.  “Except for maybe that maternity wear.  That leopard print.  It’s very… you.  Congratulations on the baby, by the way.”

“Why, Maria, you’re not calling me catty, are you?  I’m not that bad.  Not as bad as some I know, anyway,” she finished with a little smirk.  “And thank you.  Stacy is very excited to be getting a little brother or sister.  So is Darren, sort of.  He likes the whole big brother thing, but sometimes I think he misses being the spoiled only.  But at least he gets that back for a little while when visits his dad.”

“What about Julius?” asked Penny.  “Is he as excited about kid number two and the engagement?”

“Oh!  I didn’t tell you yet because I wanted to do it in person!  He’s so enthused that we said the heck with it and just eloped last night.  I’ve been dying to post about it, but he wanted to wait until tonight so he could tell some of his family in person or on calls because you know how he is about social media and tech.”  She made a face and did what Maria had to admit was a good imitation of Julius in lunkhead mode, which, to be fair, Maria considered his default.  “‘I hate that stupid plum.  My brother and sister shouldn’t find out we got married over freaking SimBook.’”  She resumed a normal tone and continued.  “Anyway, I called my sisters and Emma, my dad, and my Uncle Connor, and I figured I’d just tell you guys now.  But you can go ahead and tell Patrick and Wilbur if you want, since I won’t be back at work until the day after tomorrow.  I’ve got to get a blood test to have my iron checked, so I won’t be in for tomorrow’s rehearsal.  I was going to tell them when I saw them at work, but it’s cool if you feel like sharing the good news with your men now that you know.”

While Maria wondered what Patrick would think of Gretchen calling off on a rehearsal for a blood test that she knew could be done as a walk-in at any time during business hours, Penny inquired further.  “Your iron?  Are you okay?  Do they think you’re anemic or something?”

“Nah, I’m fine.  I get a little lightheaded when I do anything strenuous and sometimes going up stairs or when I stand up too fast.  My doctor thinks I should check it to be on the safe side.”

“Even if it is, some iron supplements should fix it.  I know some great organic brands,” Maria offered, and then added, “Maybe then you won’t be so tired at work all the time anymore.  Patrick told me how much you have to sit out.”

“Ha!  Is he still salty about having to lug all that wire himself?  He was stomping around cursing under his breath about that because Wilbur was working on something else, and he couldn’t find any roadies to give him a hand.  Normally I wouldn’t have minded, but you know, lifting restriction.  And hey, at least you get to reap the benefits of his extra muscle toning, right?”

“I’ve got no complaints about his muscles, but you might not want to make that argument to him unless you want another earful.  You ought to remember from high school how much we both hated gym class.”

“I remember that time you both cut it and got caught making out behind the school.”

“Luckily, it was by Patrick’s band teacher, and she just made him do some extra credit instead of detention or telling his parents,” Penny remembered.  “I still don’t know how you got out of that, Maria.”

“By promising to be good and not do it again, just like he did.  I got mercy by association, and the chance to make it up by helping the gym teacher organize equipment during a study hall.  Which I’m glad of.  I’m sure Boyd and Susan wouldn’t have been nearly as hard on him as my parents would’ve been on me, especially my dad.  They liked to give ‘learn your lesson’ style punishments, and once they were done reading me the riot act, they’d have probably made me jog on the beach or do some stupid exercise video to make up the missed gym class or something.”  She made a face at the thought and took a bite of her cupcake.

“My mom just hollered at me and grounded me when I got detention for class cutting or plum like that.  Too bad we couldn’t swap.  I’d have much rather been sent for a jog than have to try and sneak out all the time,” Gretchen remarked.  “But working out was never a big deal to me.  I miss my treadmill runs and advanced yoga classes, but they’re too hard on me right now.  That’s why I’ve got to sip at a sad low-cal, no caffeine herbal tea while you guys get to eat the good stuff.  I don’t want to put on more baby weight than I have to.  It’s so hard to lose, you know?”  She stared right at Maria as she took a bite of her decadent frosted cupcake.

That time there was no mistaking the jab, and while Maria debated shoving the rest of her cupcake in Gretchen’s smug face, Penny laughed to ease the tension.  “See, that’s why I don’t care and just eat what I want.  I tried a low-carb diet after Rodrigo was born and it sucked.  After two days I wanted to chew the walls.  Screw that.  Bread is life.”  She took a bite of her chocolate chip croissant.

“Yeah, but you got back to what you weighed before you had him anyway.  With Darren, it only took me a little while because I didn’t gain a lot, but with Stacy I gained fifteen more pounds than the last time and it seemed like it took forever lose it.  And every ounce shows in my performance outfits!  I’m just glad I lost it before I got pregnant again.  That’d be a real nightmare, losing two babies’ worth of weight.”  She turned to Maria.  “Speaking of which, are you and Patrick going to have a little brother or sister for Jessica to run around that big mansion with?”

Maria resisted the urge to dump Gretchen’s low-cal, no-caffeine herbal tea on her head as she not only slung what felt like another barb implying that she looked like she still had baby weight on her, but also brought up the sore subject of having another child.  Although Gretchen had no idea that Maria was a werewolf concerned about passing on the gene, Maria was still torn about the matter.  She still despised being one and could not fathom that any child of hers would not hate and resent it just as much.  Who wouldn’t, other than an oddball like Travis?  And while she wouldn’t love her child any less if they were a werewolf, it wasn’t something she wanted to put them through.  Jessica was lucky to have avoided it.

But there was a part of her that yearned to have another baby despite that.  Patrick wanted more children, even though he was fine with not doing so if that was what she wanted, but if she did, too, shouldn’t they consider it?  There was only a fifty percent chance the baby would inherit the gene anyway, and even if they did, she could help them learn to live with it.  What if they decided too late that they were wrong and regretted being so… overly cautious?  Snobby?  Like her father?  And if there was someone Maria did not want to be like, he was high on the list.  Perhaps not as high as Gretchen, but up there.

“We’ve thought about it,” she told her coolly.

“So what’s holding you back?  You’re rich as plum and it can’t be the lack of babysitters, not with your robot maid and live-in grandparents and Auntie Iris all there to help out.”

“Just… other stuff.  For one, I’d like to finish my novel sooner rather than later, and I know from experience how hard it is to write in peace and quiet when you have an infant.  Even with the plumbot and so many others in the house, which makes it the opposite of quiet sometimes, they’re usually busy with their own stuff.  Plumboptimus isn’t a dedicated nanny.  He maintains whatever Iris doesn’t in the greenhouse and does most of the housework, too.

“There are benefits to spacing kids out.  Ones born close together usually fight more,” Penny pointed out.  “I get along fine with my brothers and sisters most of the time, but when they were younger, Arlo and Darlene hated each other, and Lisa and Ethan used to get into it sometimes, too.  But by the time I came along, they all liked playing with me.”

“Yeah, Tad and I used to argue all the time, too.”

“If you had a baby now, they’d be more like the difference between Darren and Stacy, and they don’t fight much at all.  But I get it.  It is a lot to handle, and motherhood can be challenging.  I know how rough it is balancing my singing career, Julius, the kids, and now I have a third on the way without a cushy mansion and Wainwright level money and the nanny maid bot.  Not everyone can handle all of that.”

“Oh, I could handle it with no problem if I choose to.  I just prefer to think things like having another baby through with careful planning first.  But some of us are more impulsive than others, I guess.”

“What can I say?  That rock star lifestyle has its ups and downs.  Sometimes those long wild nights of rocking out and partying get a little crazier than you expect.  Guess it’s a good thing that Patrick wound up with someone as down to earth and grounded as you to keep him in line, huh?”

Having her natural intelligence and class spoken of like boring character flaws by a trashy attention-seeker whose common sense probably couldn’t fill the teaspoon in front of her had Maria seething.  “Yes, Patrick is very fortunate, but then, he’s always been discriminating enough not to get too involved with the riff-raff, even when he parties with them.”

Gretchen flashed back a catty smile made all the more so by her leopard print jacket.  “Yup.  You can give him a guitar and put him in a rock band and leather pants, but he’s still that same adorable artsy band geek from high school.”  She picked up her tea.  “But my dear Jules, he’s too much like me sometimes.  While we’re a match made in, well, wherever, sometimes we get a little wild and carried away.”

“Wherever” was clearly somewhere subterranean and toasty, but Maria refrained from stating such and took the high road by not pointing that out as Gretchen continued.

“Anyway, the three of us should hang out sometime so our kids can play together.  Jessica’s just a little bit older than Stacy, kind of like Rodrigo and Darren.  Speaking of which, Penny, when are you and Wilbur finally going to get hitched?  I shouldn’t have beaten you to the altar.”

Penny shrugged in a way that could be best described as upbeat resignation.  “Who the hell even knows at this point?  Things are still all weird.  He won’t live with me, because of Lisa next door and she’s too nosy for his taste, or whatever, but he’s still over a lot to see me and Rodrigo and when he wants some action.  But even if I wanted to move out of the house I inherited, which I don’t, it’s obvious he doesn’t want me and Rodrigo at his place because he’s still got some kind of weird something he won’t tell me.  It’s not cheating because I just don’t see any sign of it.  If anything, he’s got an affair going on with that new motorcycle he’s always going out riding on, though he’s never been a motorhead before.  He used to prefer horses to cars, let alone bikes.  But now he’s always going out on the bike.  He never rides it over, though.  I only saw it once and he freaked out when I checked it out without him there, like I was going to mess up his custom paint job.”  She made a face.  “Sure, I’m a klutz sometimes, but I’m not going to dent or scratch it just by looking at it.  But whatever.  We’re getting along well enough.  Like I said, he still turns up when he’s in the mood for some love.”

“I don’t know why you put up with that,” Maria remarked.  “I’d get someone else.”

“She did.  Behind his back,” quipped Gretchen.

“Well, she’s got her issues, too,” said Penny.  “And unless Tawanda makes a better offer for something long-term than Wilbur has, which also hasn’t happened, then it stays what it is.  Who knows?  Maybe one day Wilbur will pull his head out of his plumbob and figure out what he wants.  Until then, I do what I want with who I want, engaged or not.”

“If that works for you, but I’d never tolerate it.  If Patrick pulled even a fraction of that much plum with me, his plumbob would be on the curb.”

“Wouldn’t it be yours hitting the curb if you split up?  That’s his family’s mansion, not yours,” Gretchen pointed out.  “I sure as hell wouldn’t let Julius boot me out and squat in my house that my mom left me if he wanted out.  If he tried, I’d hire the most ruthless lawyer I could to screw him front, left, and center in court.”  She eyed Maria.  “And the Wainwrights have a hell of a lot more money for lawyers than I could ever dream of.”

“But think of the alimony and child support payments they could afford,” Penny joked.

Even though she was only kidding around, Penny joining in was the last straw.  Maria had all she could take of Gretchen and her snide pot shots at everything from her looks and intelligence to her parenting abilities and the strength of her marriage to a man who was leagues better than anyone that rude little tart had ever been with.  “It’s all moot anyway, because Patrick and I are happily married, and yes, seriously considering having another baby.  Even in the extremely unlikely event that we’d split up, I’d just go live in the house my father left me, which I still own.  You know, the big one above Sunnyside Strand that most anyone who didn’t already live in a mansion the size of the Wainwrights’ would consider practically a mansion itself?  I’d be just fine, and probably have Jessica with me half or more of the time because Patrick isn’t a llama who’d spite-fight me for custody of our daughter, which I wouldn’t do, either, unless he tried it first.”

She stood up and flashed a dramatic smile.  “And on that note, ladies, I should be getting home to my daughter and my novel.  I’m re-inspired to finish it sooner rather than later.  Penny, it was great seeing you.  Gretchen, good luck with the baby, and be sure to get some of that low-cal herbal tea for the road.  No doubt you’ll be needing a lot of it.  Congratulations again on the wedding.  I’m sure you and Julius will have all the happiness you deserve.  Take care!”

On her way out, Maria mused that as annoying as Gretchen had been, she did have to thank her for one thing.  She was no longer undecided on whether she and Patrick should have another baby.  She thinks I can’t handle it?  Llama, please!  I can handle way more than you’ll ever know, Gretchen Ursine!  All of the things you do: a career, marriage, and a new baby, and mine could even turn out to be a werewolf, which is something I bet your petty little mind would crumble just trying to fathom!

Later that evening, after Jessica was in bed and there was little chance of anyone but Buddy interrupting them, Maria took Patrick by the hands.  “Now that it’s just us, I’ve been dying for a chance to talk to you all night.”

Patrick was not worried, but he was curious.  He could tell that Maria had something on her mind, but he did not think it was anything bad since her mood hadn’t been foul.  He suspected it had something to do with her outing with Penny and Gretchen, but he had no idea what.  When he asked her earlier, she just said she would tell him later.  He figured it was probably some juicy personal gossip about one of them that she was dying to share but did not want to get into in front of Iris or his parents, although probably not bad news since she was not upset.  Maria had no poker face for any length of time when something had her riled up.  “I could tell you had something on your mind.  What’s going on?  Something happen while you were out?”

“Hmm, kind of.  Gretchen was herself, as usual, and it was all I could do to not just tell her off, but that’s nothing new.  You know she is.”  She rolled her eyes dramatically.  “Though I’m sure you’ll be glad to know she’s calling off next shift to get a blood test for her iron.  She said she’s feeling dizzy when she exerts herself and her doctor wants to see if she’s anemic.”

Patrick scoffed.  “When she exerts herself?  That sure hasn’t been a problem at work lately,” he said as Buddy sprang to life from doll form, also curious about what was going on.

“I know, and it’s something you can just walk in for anytime anyway.  I think it’s more like she wanted a free day off with her new husband Julius without getting an earful for the last-minute call-off.  Apparently, they just eloped and officially tied the knot.  She told us while we were out today and said we could give you and Wilbur the good news for her.”

“Guess that’s good news since she actually wanted to marry that llama, and it’s not like a whole lot more would’ve gotten done other than a rehearsal we can reschedule anyway.  Would’ve liked to get her input on some of the ideas Wilbur and I were batting around for the next show, though, and if she screws around too long, we’ll have to go ahead without her.  Then she’ll just have to lump it if she doesn’t like it, and she better not freaking give me plum for it, or she’ll get it right back.”

“Oh, don’t worry.  She can totally handle it,” Maria said with another sarcastic eye roll.  “She can handle anything, to hear her brag.”

“Anything but actual work she doesn’t feel like doing, maybe,” Patrick said, while Buddy debated making a quip about how that sounded an awful lot like someone else in the room, but he magnanimously refrained, for Patrick’s sake.

“Enough about her, though.”  Maria brightened as she changed the subject to what she really wanted to discuss.  “That wasn’t the main thing I wanted to talk to you about.”

Now Patrick’s curiosity was really piqued.  “Oh?  Really?  What’s up?”

“I’ve been doing some more thinking lately about something we’ve talked about.  Something important and life-changing.”  She paused dramatically, and Patrick knew her well enough to know she wanted him to guess.  Luckily, there was only one major personal matter he would categorize as life-changing that they had discussed in any detail recently, as the only other one that even came close was a discussion they had with his parents about some legal technicalities in their will, and he doubted that was it.

“Is this about having another baby?”

“Yes.”  Her smile broadened.  “I’ve decided I want to.  Werewolf or not.  I don’t want to let that ruin something that means so much to both of us.”

That came as a surprise.  He knew she had been conflicted over it, but he did not want to push her because he knew how deep her resentment about her condition ran.  As much as he might want another child, he certainly did not want to have them turn out to be a werewolf and leave Maria carrying a lifetime of guilt and added rage about it that would undoubtedly spill over at least to some degree to their child.  He did not believe she would be so cruel intentionally, especially considering how much she did not want to be like her father, but unfortunately, Thornton also set a crystal-clear example that even if one tries not to let that sort of thing show, the kids always know.

“If you’re sure.  I mean it when I say I don’t want to pressure you or push you to do something you’re not a hundred percent positive you want, too.”

“I know, and I do want this.  Really.  I’ve thought a lot about it lately and today, I just… well I guess I just got some clarity.  There’s no good reason to let my issues hold us back from being the family we want.  Besides, there’s just as much chance the baby will be normal like Jessica as there is of being a werewolf like me.”

“Yeah, that’s true.  But fifty-fifty is pretty big odds.”  He paused.  “You know, we could adopt, if you don’t want to risk it.  Chris and Tad’s kids are all adopted and they’re just as much family as Jess.  Not being a genetic relation wouldn’t mean plum to me, any more than Orion means any less to Mom or Iris does to Dad not having any of his genes.”

Despite the practicality of the suggestion, Maria shook her head.  “No.  I get what you’re saying, and it’s a nice idea, but I want this baby to be ours.  Nothing against adopted kids, of course I adore all my nieces and nephews, but there are pitfalls with that, too.  I want to start with a baby, not one that’s already Jessica’s age or older, who’s known another family that they’ll wonder about why they didn’t want them, or stress about comparing us to.  And a lot of adoptions fall through after adoptive parents pour their hearts and time into it, if one of the baby’s parents suddenly changes their mind and takes the baby back.  I don’t want to, I can’t go through that nightmare.”

“Fair point,” Patrick agreed.

“Besides, we’re both still young and we can have kids on our own.  It doesn’t feel right to take a baby from a family that can’t who really wants one when we technically could.”  A petty part of her also did not want anyone like Gretchen starting ugly rumors about her or Patrick not being able to conceive, because why else would they adopt?  Although there was no shame in having certain medical issues, that was not something she wanted people speculating about with her, especially if anyone was crude or crass enough to imply it came from a disease one of them got fooling around behind the other’s back.

“All right, then.  If you’re sure.”  Patrick could not help but smile a little brighter as he imagined a new baby and a little sibling for Jessica to play with.  “I love you, and you know I’d love to have another kid if you do.”

“And he’s happy to do his part,” Buddy joked with a smirk on his doll face, although he was happy for Patrick, and even Maria.  He was not mean enough to ruin their happiness by adding the comment that came to mind, which was that he was glad Maria could finally see past her howling werewolf plumbob and realize that maybe not everyone in the world was like her and would hate being one like she did.

Patrick did not acknowledge Buddy’s quip, and instead squeezed Maria’s hands.  “When did you want to start trying?  Right away, soon, or do you want take more time to plan first?”

“I don’t want to wait anymore.  We’ve already talked a lot about it, and there’s no time like the present, unless you can think of a reason to wait.”

“Nah.  I’m as ready to be a dad again as I’ve ever been.  It’ll be great.”  He pulled her close.  “I love you.”

“I love you too, Paddy-cakes,” she said sweetly, just before their mouths met in a kiss.

“Guess that’s my cue to leave you lovebirds alone and go find the creepy gnome to kick or something,” Buddy said, and left them to their privacy.

They put it to good use, and with a lot of love and a little luck, another Wainwright would soon be on the way.

Offline Auranaris

• Townie
  • Former resident of the cave of lurking-ness
« Reply #370 on: June 27, 2021, 04:31:29 PM »
Oh wow this chapter was well timed! I just discovered this story and actually just finished reading it a little bit ago.

Thanks for the great read! :)
they/he pronouns please!

Offline deedee_828

• Watcher
« Reply #371 on: June 29, 2021, 11:39:14 AM »
Nice to see the Wainwright clan is alive and well!

Looking forward to seeing the new family members. :)

Offline Supermanfan

• Llama Wrangler
« Reply #372 on: August 19, 2021, 01:20:04 AM »
Glad to see another update!
brandontaylor615

Offline Cheezey

• Immortal
Brilliant Minds: The Wainwrights of Sunset Valley (Graveyard Please)
« Reply #373 on: October 07, 2021, 03:23:32 PM »
Hey, readers! It saddens me greatly to post this, but I feel like it's for the best.

I put up a more detailed explanation in my blog here, but the tl;dr version is that my seven year old save is buggy as all get out, and I'm too burned out to keep playing TS3 CPR on it when it crashes so often and takes almost half an hour just to load. I still love this save and the family born and grown in it, and it guts me to let it go, but the crashes and time wasting and frustration have made it too stressful to keep going.

If I change my mind in the future, I'll ask the mods to resurrect this thread.

I'm still considering writing up the remaining stuff I played with significantly fewer screen shots (no staging, just the ones I already got during game play up to where I've played) and a text-only ending to how I planned to end Boyd and Susan's long life journey, but I'm not committing to that and definitely don't want to commit to a timetable. I'll also be happy to share spoilers of what happens with specific characters if anyone is interested over PM or I may possibly post it at my blog if I don't end up writing it up.

Thank you all for your interest and feedback on this story, and I appreciate all of you who have read and commented. 

Offline deedee_828

• Watcher
Re: Brilliant Minds: The Wainwrights of Sunset Valley (Graveyard Please)
« Reply #374 on: October 07, 2021, 05:19:15 PM »
It shot a pang through my heart to see your 'graveyard please' request!

But knowing how long my current game/story games take to load and save after 2 and 3 years of play, with all the corresponding game issues inherit in Sims 3, I feel your pain with a 7 year old save!

And totally understand how frustrating doing Sims 3 CPR can be!

Your Wainwright story has been a great read and given Boyd and Susan so much depth that I will never look at them the same way.

I even dabbled in some staging and side saves to add depth to one of my own stories and it was pretty time consuming and had it's own moments of frustration when things didn't work or save!

Having to replay or rebuild a 2nd or a 3rd time really can take all the fun out of the game.

I do hope that you get a chance to write up your last gameplay and provide some closure for the whole family, text only is fine by me!

And I wouldn't mind a PM, spoilers and all, for any nooboo news, with photos, if you have them!

Any chance that Iris might be available for use in an alternate reality?
If so, I have a hunch that my Farmacy teen, Plantsim Terrin, would love to meet her!!!

Thanks again for giving all of us hours of reading pleasure and I hope that you'll be starting another game and story soon.