Author Topic: Brilliant Minds: The Wainwrights of Sunset Valley  (Read 197127 times)

Online deedee_828

• Watcher
Re: Brilliant Minds: The Wainwrights of Sunset Valley
« Reply #390 on: September 29, 2022, 02:58:08 PM »
Welcome, Andromeda Justine!
She's beautiful, and I love her name!

Awesome chapter and looking forward to upcoming events. :)

Offline Cheezey

• Immortal
Brilliant Minds: The Wainwrights of Sunset Valley - Chapter 141 Part One
« Reply #391 on: December 17, 2022, 09:11:36 PM »
Author's Note: This is long and image-heavy, so I split it into two posts.

Chapter 141

As soon as everyone was up to a visit, Boyd and Susan went over to visit Orion and Tara’s to meet little Andromeda.  Unfortunately, only Orion and Connie were home on the day that Boyd and Susan were able to go over since Tara had to work.  When Boyd first held his granddaughter, he could not help but marvel at her and remember Orion at the same age.  It brought up so many strong feelings and memories, like how tiny and helpless Orion had seemed and how much he had feared for him because of what he was and what might’ve happened if the truth had gotten out.  It was still a secret, and a sore point somewhat, so many years later, but now Orion was a strong young man and for better or worse, that issue was in his hands.  Boyd had come to terms with that, and he just hoped that however he dealt with it in the long run, it was the right decision, for his sake, and for Tara’s and the sweet little baby in his arms.

He noticed that little Andromeda had the same impish look in her eyes as her father.  “You’re going to be every bit of trouble he was and then some, aren’t you?” Boyd mused with a quiet chuckle.  “I can tell.  All his curiosity and Tara’s sweet smile to boot to get you out of the doghouse when you’re busted.  Oh, hell.  See, I know that drill.  Ran through it with your Aunt Iris.  She’d deny that and say she was nowhere near as bad as your dad or Uncle Patrick, just no ‘Aunt Saint Blair,’ but I know better.  So does your grandma.  Just because we don’t always bother to call them on it doesn’t mean we don’t know it.  Just that we know what battles are worth fighting and what we just go on ahead and let them keep thinking we don’t notice.”  He winked at her and smooched her forehead.

“Just do your old granddad a favor and keep the alien antics to a minimum where they can get you into real trouble.  Don’t go and get yourself hurt or noticed by anyone that shouldn’t see them, and don’t go hurting anyone else.  Oh, and try not to troll your poor full-human mom too much.  She’s a little high strung like your old grandpa.  If you’ve got picking to do, your half-alien dad can take it a lot better than her.  Okay?”  He smiled at her and booped her pointy alien nose, eliciting a baby giggle.  “Ah, good.  I figured my bright little baby granddaughter would get that.  Brains run in our family, after all.  Yes, they do.”

“Oh, Boyd, what a cutie!  Isn’t she precious?”  Susan couldn’t help but smile at Boyd as she held Andromeda for the first time.  “I’m sure you’ve compared the pictures like we did already, but she really looks so much like you did at this age, Orion.”

“I know.  Poor girl.  I wish she looked more like Tara.  A lot of kids were llamas to me in school, and some adults aren’t a lot better.”

“If someone treats you rudely based on appearances, doesn’t that mean they are unworthy of friendship or consideration?” asked Connie.  She was still fine-tuning her A.I. for such things and often had questions about social interactions. 

“That’s a general rule of etiquette, yes,” Susan answered, while Orion continued with his thoughts.

“Unfortunately, when you look as weird as Andromeda and I do, a lot of people, even if they don’t say or do rude stuff, will still avoid you or hang back out of fear or anxiousness.  It’s a thing that even otherwise nice or okay people will do if they’re shy or awkward.  Tara didn’t talk to me much until she got to know me as a kid in a ballet class we were in together.  Life’s just easier when you’re good-looking.  So, I feel for my daughter that she got the short end of the stick on that.  That’s all.”

Susan looked down at the baby.  Unless something drastically changed since their last visit to Oasis Landing, Orion had descendants, and now he had a daughter it was reasonable to guess they could have come from.  “Try not to think about that, Orion.  You never know.  Times change and tastes can be subjective.  I’ve got no doubt that someone will find her beautiful when she grows up, and regardless, cliché as it sounds, it’s always who someone is inside that matters most.”

“No offense, Mom, but that’s a lot easier for someone who looks like the human version of Iris to say than someone who looks more like a jacked male version of Eni Jish Xip with green hair.”

“While that’s putting it rather bluntly, I’m sorry you didn’t get more of my, uh, nerdy good looks,” Boyd said wryly.  “But I assure you I wasn’t winning any modeling contests most of my life, either.”

Susan snorted as she set Andromeda on her baby mat.  “Watcher, no.  I love your father to death, but when I first met him, when he wasn’t wearing something his mother washed or replaced for him, like that t-shirt with the giant hole in the armpit you argued with her about throwing out—”

Boyd snapped his head toward her faster than his age should have allowed.  “That was my favorite band’s shirt, obtainable only from a concert I traded one of my pirated copies of the Star Wars Holiday Special to get tickets for, back when that plum was gold.  Those shirts were irreplaceable.  There was no SimBay back then.  You’re darn right I argued with her!”

“Oh, Boyd, that hole was the size of the Grand Canyon by the time it died.”

Connie just beeped and listened to the rambling elder argument while Orion nodded.  “Right, Dad, but still.  I get what you’re saying, but…”

“I know.  I’m sorry it was so hard on you.”  Boyd looked over at Andromeda.  “I hope things will be easier for her.  But with you there knowing so much more about what you are and what you can do, to help her through it and teach her, I believe it will be.”

Orion followed his gaze to the baby.  “I hope you’re right.”

Shortly after Love Day and Andromeda’s birth came another important milestone: Hilda’s teenage birthday.  Chris and Tad’s second adopted daughter and Boyd and Susan’s second great-grandchild would soon be starting high school.  In addition to the new computer they sent her—she had been a computer whiz since childhood, after all—they also set up a generous college fund in trust for her to attend the university of her choice when the time came without having to worry about burdensome loans.  “But while I’ll probably go to lots of parties like Uncle Patrick, you don’t have to worry about me getting caught streaking like I hear some people did,” she joked, shooting a wry look at her adoptive redheaded father.  “I’m not into that kind of stuff.”  It was true.  She was no prude, but she had a real issue with showing too much skin, even for a typical teenager.

Despite her teasing, Dad Chris still went in with Dad Tad and got her a brand-new guitar with tips from Uncle Patrick on exactly what was the best for someone of her skill and inclination to practice with.  Uncle Patrick, Aunt Maria, and little cousin Jessica in turn gifted her with a year of lessons from the most highly rated instructors that could be gotten locally.  She spent many an evening practicing her guitar even after her homework and official lessons were done. 

Her natural talent seemed to inspire others in the house as well.  Raul seemed to spend more time at his easel than at his troublesome hijinks, which was a relief to everyone.  Tad and Chris especially hoped that was a change that would stick.  He had already been in enough trouble in school before, so they hoped the better habits and behavior were there to stay.  Danielle did her homework a little more cheerfully to the music, and even though spring had things warming up, it was still a little cool in the evenings to be outside tinkering with mechanics much, so Esmeralda worked on her handiness skills inside.  However, she expressed interest in buying a vintage car to fix up.  They told her that was fine, as long as she was willing to earn, save, and spend the money on such a project herself and keep it insured and safe if she drove it, and that she knew what she was getting into before she committed to it. 

Tad lamented afterwards that he did not like how much he sounded like his father, especially on the money part, but Morgana reassured him.  “You’re too hard on yourself.  For what it’s worth, for all his mistakes and how terrible he was at showing it all his life, try to remember that Thornton genuinely wanted the best for you and your sister and not everything he instilled in you was bad.  I have no doubt he’d be proud of the man you grew into and the values you’re teaching your children.  Frankly, you and Chris are far better parents to them than his own were to him and the thought of continuing that cycle was what turned him off most about parenthood in the first place.  I know how badly his hang-ups hurt you and Maria, and I’ll always regret that, but I truly believe that even if he never would’ve admitted it, he’d be glad you had the strength to do what he couldn’t—break it.”

“Heh.  Thanks, Mom.  Maybe that’s true, but still.  Call me an egomaniac like Maria, but I’d still like my kids to give me a more of glowing review than that when I’m gone.”

“I wouldn’t call you or your sister that, nor will I tell her you spoke of her in such kind words,” Morgana replied on an equally wry note as she petted old Diddy in her chair.

It did Morgana’s soul good to be with her family and see them so happy, energetic, and creative.  She made herself stay active enough to do what she could, but she was quite weak despite that.  Her last ailment had taken a lot out of her, and she no longer left the house much.

Right after Hilda’s birthday came another important event for the Wainwright family.  The day finally arrived when the youngest of Boyd and Susan’s children was officially not only a young adult, but also finished with high school.  Iris celebrated graduation day and emerged from the ceremony proudly with her cap and gown and diploma.

Their brilliant daughter was valedictorian, not an uncommon achievement in their family of geniuses.  She was also the second of their children given the interesting honor of being voted by her classmates as “most likely to take over the world.”  Back when he graduated, Patrick had been voted “most likely to never leave the house,” which was amusingly prophetic considering he was the one who never moved out and set to inherit the mansion despite his rock band career, while way back when she graduated, Blair had apparently not been voted anything because she was such a loner and introvert, or so she said.  If Cycl0n3 was voted anything back when he was in high school, he did not own up to it now, but their money was all on “most likely to offend others” if he had been.

Orion was the other one that got voted as being likely to take over the world, presumably because it had gotten around that he was not only heir to part of the Wainwright fortune but also going into the sciences and taking over the helm of the lab for his parents.  They had been a high-profile rich family in town for decades now and everyone knew that Boyd and Susan were old, and that their two oldest children were not in the science business.  Even before the Golden Llama scandal publicized Blair’s career in law enforcement, anyone that followed Wainwright Innovations knew that their eldest daughter was not involved in it, and there was nothing at all subtle about Patrick or his rock star career.  Orion might have not been overly popular or outgoing in high school, but he was a known nerd and a Wainwright, and while he was in high school, his teachers all knew his inclination toward math and science and aspirations to work in his parents’ line of work. 

It was an easy guess that similar assumptions were made about Iris given her last name, stated career aspirations, avid interest in botany and science in general, and of course, the fact that she was a plantsim.  However, while Orion might have more seemed like that stereotypical nerd that could one day come out and take over the world with a death ray to someone who did not know him, flowery, sweet, beautiful, outgoing, and if not somewhat snooty Iris hardly felt she fit what she considered the nerdy stereotype of a super-villain, and she was borderline insulted by it. 

She would have much preferred to be voted something classy, like how Kristal was honored with “most likely to save the world.”  That one was nice, and Iris had even voted for her friend on it, even if it was a bit of a stretch considering her career aspirations involved art and creative writing, although she agreed quality works made the world a better place.  Or why couldn’t her classmates have given her an honorary award based on her own talents, like the “most artistic” award they gave Sommer Wan?  Surely, they could have come up with something like “most likely to grow the most beautiful and incredible and exotic plants in the world” or something like that! 

And, of course, while she understood that “most attractive” was not an actual award, she was well aware that many considered her such, so she was surprised that what was often given in its place, “most popular,” went to Lane Mae, of all her classmates.  Not that Lane was unpopular or ugly or anything, and admittedly, he had a likeable and easygoing manner about him and lots of friends, but still.  Lane?  More popular than her?!  Or was that only because the plebs she went to school with halfway did expect her to take over the world because she was going to inherit a lab rumored to have a death ray?  Sure, she was an incredibly clever genius and yes, she could sweet talk cow plants, but really.  Iris Wainwright, plantsim scientist taking over the world?  How eye-rolling. 

Her family found the award and how she managed to gracefully weave playful acceptance of it into her valedictorian’s speech at the last minute far more entertaining than she did.  Later, Orion jovially welcomed her to his ranks and said it must be the destiny of the lab, even if she didn’t seem like super-villain material, while Travis quipped quietly out of her earshot that no one should be surprised when she could probably assemble an army to do it just from all the guys angling to be her next boyfriend, never mind the cow plants.  She might not have been amused by such a remark, but Chris, Cycl0n3, and Patrick all were, and even Maria had trouble keeping a properly straight face when she overheard it.

Still, Iris was deservedly proud of herself, and Susan was unabashedly proud of her daughter as well.  “That was a wonderful speech, sweetie.  Thought-provoking and inspirational!  I loved it.”

“Thanks, Mom.”

The family continued to chat while lining up on the city hall steps above the thick of the graduation crowd on the street below.  “No wonder they voted you likely to take over the world,” Boyd said.  He had heard Travis’ remark about the boyfriends, too, but he had the sense and class not to touch that can of worms.  “With charisma like that, you’d do well in politics if you went that route.”

“Yeah, but I don’t think I could take all the networking and schmoozing and backstabbing that comes with trying to get anything actually accomplished.  Plus, you know me.  I’d rather be doing the hands-on science stuff.  So, don’t worry about any sudden career changes.  I’m still planning to jump on into the family business when I get back from Sims U.”

“We’re certainly glad you want to take the mantle.  Our experimental plants, especially, couldn’t be in better hands.”

“Are you and your fellow graduates attending the celebratory activities in the park?” asked Plumboptimus, who was holding Jessica.  There was a spring festival going on in the park across from the city hall where graduation had taken place.

“Some of us are, and tonight my class is having a big graduation party at Mick’s Karaoke bar.”

Jessica recognized that word.  “Party!”

“Yup!  Daddy’s teaching you the important words, I see.”

“Like that word’s not up there on your priority list for Sims U or tonight.  I saw that excited look in your eyes, little wildflower,” Patrick teased.

“I never said it wasn’t.”  She stared off into the crowd of her classmates for a moment, and both Patrick and Maria noticed a subtle shift in her mood.  They immediately realized why, and it had nothing to do with her award.  Following her gaze, one could see Alfonso Donner swinging around a giggling Rashida Hatch and Kristal Steel hanging all over Lester Sekemoto.  But as happy as Iris was, and with as many admirers as she had at the snap of her fingertips, she had yet to snap toward any of them after saying a tearful goodbye to her last, whose absence was suddenly palpable.

While Cameron had also been a senior like her, he was not at their graduation since he never attended school in Sunset Valley.  He had been a remote homeschool student from his old private school in Bridgeport and had been taught by a tutor, so he went back there for his graduation.  He and Iris made their final break from being lovers to just friends moving on with their lives when he left for Bridgeport.

That was because immediately after Cameron graduated, he started a rigorous training program for the Llamas.  It left him little time for any semblance of a social life even when he was in Sunset Valley and not traveling for events, which was not all that often.

He posted on social media often, mostly updates to his Simstagram about his training and progress.  Iris still followed those and cheered them on despite missing him, but she had come to terms with moving on.  As much as Cameron would always be special to her, they had different lives to lead, and she truly wished him well in his.

But that quiet moment of reflection was all Iris needed before she was ready to jump back into the fray with her classmates and celebrate.  Once the official graduation ceremonies were complete and all the well-wishes from family and friends were done, she joined in on the fun in the park, even if it was a bit overcast and foggy that spring day.  From getting a sizzling high rating on the love tester—along with some last-moment flirts from single guys in her class with crushes who made it clear they would love a final chance to test it with her further, if she were so inclined—to showing off her dance moves, she had a great time.

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline Cheezey

• Immortal
Brilliant Minds: The Wainwrights of Sunset Valley - Chapter 141 Part Two
« Reply #392 on: December 17, 2022, 09:12:31 PM »

She did with her friends at the graduation party that night, too.  It was one of the last chances she would have to hang out with her local friends and classmates as a big group before they would go their separate ways.

“I’m going to miss you so much when I head out to Sims U,” Iris told Kristal.  Time and lack of drama, and nothing like it happening again, had healed the wound that the drama with Lester had done previously to their friendship.  It had been a bitter lesson for Iris, but she learned it, and she still regretted hurting Kristal the way she had.  She was glad that she and Lester seemed to have found something more permanent and stable with one another.  It was odd.  Occasionally she would see him and feel, well, something, but it was not enough to consider thinking about going there again.  Not with so many downsides and so many other unexplored and unknown options out there.  He was far better suited to someone like Kristal anyway, a genius artist who really got someone like him.  He was hot and all, but if she wanted to hear someone drone on and on about art, she could talk to Patrick or Maria.  She didn’t need to date someone into that.

“Aw.  I’ll miss you, too.  But it’s not like you can’t message me whenever!”

“I know, but we can’t hang out.  You, me, and Rashida.  We could’ve taken Sims U by storm, and we all got in.”

“Yeah, but she can’t afford it, and didn’t have your grades for the scholarships.  And Lester didn’t get in, so I’d have missed him if I went there.  Plus, Britechester offered me a scholarship and entry into their distinguished fine arts program, so it was a better offer than Sims U.”

“And they did accept Lester, even if not distinguished.”

Kristal smiled.  “Yes.”

Iris smiled back.  “Because you’re smarter than him.”

Kristal could not help but smile a little more.  “Well… yes, but it feels a little harsh to say that.”

Iris patted her on the shoulder.  “Don’t feel bad about it.  It just comes with being a genius, my friend.  You get used to it.  Some of us are just smarter than others.”  She shrugged. 

“Ah.  Yes.  Like, some of us know not to woohoo in a public photo booth.”  Kristal rolled her eyes, while Iris nearly spat her drink.

“What?”

“Oh, yeah.  In case you were wondering where Rashida and Alfonso were?  Corina told me a little while ago that when she was upstairs playing Whack-A-Gnome, she saw them go into the photobooth and heard some, uh, interesting sounds coming out of it along with their voices that made it pretty clear what was going on.  They were loud enough that it was over the music.  Sommer heard it, too.”  Kristal made a face.  “I mean, really.  I know Alfonso has his daredevil streak and she’s into that, but eew.  The thought of someone walking in on you or listening in creepily aside, didn’t she ever think about how many microbes and other nasty things are on the surfaces in there?  I’d want hand sanitizer just after a regular picture, let alone getting down and dirty, especially thinking about if other people have done that!”  She made a face.  “Yuck.  How un-sexy can you get?  And can you imagine the pictures?  Oh no.  Can you say awkward camera angles?!”

“Oh yeah, they were getting it on like nobody’s business,” Corina confirmed from over at the bar.  “That thing was rocking harder than the karaoke machine and she was trying not to moan his name.  It was hilarious because the thing was flashing away the whole time.  Way to be subtle, guys.”

“Cheaper than paying a camera man, I guess,” snorted Lester.

“Those things take terrible pictures anyway.”

Lester looked over at Iris, amused.  “What, are you speaking from experience?”

She nearly dropped her glass, but it was impossible that any of them could have known about her recent rendezvous with Cameron at the dance club in the photo booth on Love Day, since none of them were there.  No, that was just a snarky remark and coincidence.  It had to be.  “Hardy har har.  No, I’m just saying, when do you think was the last time that lens was cleaned?”

Kristal winced again.  “Stop.  You’re grossing me out.”

“Here.  I’ll pour you a stiff one,” Corina offered.  “I learned some great mixes with the good plum living at the Landgraab mansion with my big sister.”

“Careful,” warned Lester.  “Kristal’s got a little trouble handling it when it’s too stiff.”

She shot her boyfriend a look while Corina and Iris burst into giggles.  “Oh, Les, you walked into that one,” Kristal groaned.

“Oh, you know what I meant!  Juice!”

“Yeah, yeah.”  Corina was still snickering as she set the drink tray down and grabbed some fruit to dip into the chocolate fountain.  “Okay, Kristal.  Drink at your own risk.  Don’t put anything too hard in your mouth without Lester’s okay.”

That got another round of giggles while Lester and Kristal shuffled to get their drinks and Iris picked up another one and swished it.  She only sipped at it, as it was too strong for her taste and juice like that made her feel wilty.

“Is it really that strong, Iris?” Kristal asked quietly.

“It’s… potent.”

Kristian Bunch nodded.  “Don’t mind Corina.  Living with the Landgraabs is enough to drive anyone to drink.”

“I didn’t think Malcolm was all that bad,” Iris mused.  “I know my parents and Blair thought old Nancy was kind of a snotty llama, and Malcolm and Bianca’s dad did some trashy plum before they divorced, but Malcolm always seemed all right.  We’ve had him over at parties and he was nice enough.  Bianca, I don’t know that well.  She was in Chris’ class, I think.  Kind of high on herself and super sporty from what I know of her.  Never talked to her much.”

Corina took a bite of fruit.  “Malcolm’s stuffy as plum.  I’ll give you that he’s a decent dude for a Landgraab and not a ruthless llama like his mom, but still.  He’s a politician and so charm school polished.  But he’s still a Landgraab.  Sorry, but I just don’t trust old money rich people like that.  They’re establishment.  Bebe loves him and he’s all right, but like I said.  Politician and stuffy and… kind of weird.  He’s got secrets.  They all do.”

“She’s right.  Everyone knows you can’t trust politicians,” Lane Mae chimed in from the other side of the bar.  “I should know.  I live in the ‘rival family’ mansion across the way from the Landgraabs, and my sister-in-law’s mom was the slyest politician that ever corrupt politician-ed in the history of this town, probably.  I could tell you some stories.  And let’s not even get started on her dad.  Oh, boy.  Wait until Holly has a few juices and hear what she has to say.  Issues?  That poor woman’s got volumes.”

Corina turned to Lane curiously.  “Hey, did you ever find any juicy secrets in the Alto mansion?  ‘cause let me tell you… there’s some weird plum in that Landgraab mansion.  I don’t know if this dates from old Nancy or maybe her dad Chester or even ancient old Kermit and Kitty’s time, but there’s a whole secret closed off attic floor that Malcolm put in hidden access to years back that’s got all this extra computer plum in it that does who the hell knows what.  He keeps it locked, but I’ve seen it.  Like what does the mayor need that kind of crap for?  He paranoid much?  You’d think the science geeks next door would be the ones that have that kind of weird stuff!”  She turned toward Iris.  “No offense, Iris.  I just mean that kind of thing would make more sense for your parents than Malcolm Freaking Landgraab and my sister the doctor or Bianca Sportygirl and Tom the Firefighter, you know?  Especially since your parents have stuff like that right out in the yard like that giant pole satellite thing on the side between you and the Alto mansion.”

Iris rolled her eyes, although it irked her a bit that Corina’s loud and buzzed stereotypical caricature conjecture of her parents as weirdo mad scientists with a secret lab and strange equipment hiding in their mansion was more accurate than she wanted to admit.  “None taken,” she white lied.  “Actually, that machine is a collective experimental neural unit that’s been in development in coordination with Sims U for some time.  The family tinkers with it as a side project.”  She smiled disarmingly.  “What can I say?  They are a little eccentric. As for your brother-in-law, could be that stuff is holdover from old Landgraab Industries tech or patents they never sold.  They used to own the lab before my parents bought them out decades ago.  Old money doesn’t like letting go of old habits.  Maybe they’re storing it waiting for a new opportunity to develop it with a new company.”

“Oooh.  Maybe there’ll be another feud,” Sommer teased.  “Landgraab vs. Wainwright.”

“Well, there are no Altos left by name to fight with anymore,” Lane pointed out.  “The only Altos left are named Alvi now, like I would’ve been if my dad had bothered marrying my mother.  Though I will say big bro VJ did old Nick proud in his organization after he was gone, not that you heard that from me.”

“Yeah, one thing my dad did spectacularly—steal the best Snowflake Day gifts in town, even if he did carry on the fine Alvi tradition of not bothering to marry our moms,” Kristian chimed in on a sarcastic note.  “But good old Uncle Miraj and Aunt Holly don’t seem the crime lord types, so I think we’re safe from that family legacy.  A high-tech science feud sounds more fun anyway.”

“If it’s all the same, I’d rather just avoid the whole mess and get along.  Fortunately, for all their quirks, my parents managed to get along with both sets of neighbors and the Goths without starting anything like that, so here’s hoping that trend continues.”  Iris raised her glass.  “Cheers!”

“I’ll drink to that.  To good friends and neighbors,” Lane echoed, picking up a glass.

“And to staying in touch long distance, since we’re all heading out to different places soon,” Kristal added.

“To a great class full of good times,” Jeanine Andrews, who had been fairly quiet, but a part of their class, spoke up, raising her glass.

“Cheers!” finished Sommer Wan, and they all drank the toast.

Afterward, Lester chuckled.  “Wow.  And Alfonso and Rashida are still gone.  All I’ve got to say is, that must be one hell of a photo reel by now.”

After the party was over and Iris said goodbye to her friends, it was time to prepare for her upcoming semester at Sims University.  It seemed like it was time for her to go before she knew it.  “It’ll be so strange without you here,” Patches lamented as Iris went over her checklist.  “It just won’t be the same.”

“I know.  I still could give you that potion Mom gave me if you want.”  A while back, Susan had discovered a formula buried deep in the occult vault of the lab archives that allegedly unbound a spirit doll from its doll form and allowed it to assume corporeal form.  Whether it was an old witches’ alchemy potion that had been transcribed into scientific components by a scientist or an actual discovery made by a scientist back in the day, the notes did not say, as it had been in a notebook even older than Boyd or Susan.  Regardless, it was still untested and there were no notes on its efficacy from back then, either.  Neither Patches nor Buddy had been willing to take it so far.  Buddy wanted nothing to do with it, content with his existence as it was, and Patches was wary of it, too.

“No.  I don’t think so.  If Buddy can survive Patrick going away to University, I think I can, too,” she said on an upbeat note.

“Even without Orion to harass telepathically or an evil gnome to kick around?  I thought that was how he stayed sane while he was gone.  That and trolling my parents from time to time.”

“Oh, Buddy’s really not so bad.  Just a little rough around the edges.”  She giggled.  “Or more than a little, but still.  He doesn’t pick on them as much now that they’re so old.  He doesn’t want to risk them ‘suddenly keeling over from fright or anything’ as he puts it.”

Iris raised an eyebrow.  “Don’t tell me you have a thing for Buddy?”

“Ahhh no!  He’s more like a… big annoying brother.  If I was going to get into those kinds of feelings, I’d pick someone nicer than him for sure.  I’m just saying he’s not all bad.  He watches over Jessica, and I’ve seen him telling Fluffs how to help her out.”  She turned toward Iris.  “I’ll miss you, of course, but I’ll be all right.  Don’t worry about me.  Have lots of fun at Sims U!”

“I plan to!  But I’ll miss you, too.”  She hugged her.  “I’ll tell you all about it when I get back.”

When the time came for Iris to leave for Sims U, everyone came out of the house to see her off.  “Have a great time and good luck!” Patrick said with a grin and a wave.  “Don’t do anything I wouldn’t do!”

“Oh, good.  That leaves all my options open, then,” she laughed back.

“And that’s one way to assure your old father has a heart attack from worry while you’re gone,” Boyd added as he hugged her goodbye.  “Please don’t do anything too crazy.”

“I won’t, Dad.  I love you and I don’t want you to have a heart attack.”

“Or at least she won’t tell us if she does,” Susan said dryly as she took her turn for the goodbye hug.  “Take care, sweetie.  Good luck.  We love you.”

“Love you, too, Mom.”

Maria also gave her a hug.  “Have fun and good luck, Iris.  I know you’ll stun them all at Sims U, both academically and socially.”

“Thanks.”

“Try not to break too many hearts,” she teased with a knowing smile.

“Nah.  Not too many,” she smiled back.

“Best of luck in your academic endeavors and achievements, and social outings!” cheered Plumboptimus.

It was a bit awkward, but she appreciated it anyway.  “Thanks, Plumboptimus.”  She hugged him, too.

“Bye-bye, Iris!”  Jessica bounced and waved, and Iris set her suitcase down long enough to pick her up and hug her little niece.

“Bye, Jess!  I’m sure you’re going to be a lot bigger when I get back.  I’ll see you soon.”  She waved and got into the van, excited for her upcoming adventure in higher education.

They watched the van drive away that late spring day with mixed feelings.  They were all happy for her, but they would all miss her, too.  “It’s not going to be the same without Iris and her teenage angst around anymore,” Maria mused with a wistful smile.  “I’m going to miss hearing all her fun gossip of the high school crowd and the inspiration it gave me for my writing.”

“Well, now you’ll get the Sims U version.  We can hear how it’s changed since we’ve been there.”

“How old we’ve gotten, you mean,” Maria half-groaned as she thought about how near middle age loomed.  “Don’t remind me.”

“Old,” Susan scoffed playfully.  “Don’t talk to me about old, miss I’m still youthful enough to be having a baby.  Talk to me about old when you’ve got great grandchildren and your youngest baby just went off to university.”

“To be fair, the great-grandchildren were adopted in elementary school and that cut a decade out of the process.”

“Ah, but there’s also decades of putting up with Cycl0n3’s mouth before that, which, while not scientifically proven yet, we have a theory grays your hair faster with each prolonged exposure,” Boyd pointed out.

Patrick snorted.  “Is that why poor Blair stayed so childish?  Trying to balance out those grays?”

“I wish I could disagree with some of that, but sadly, I can’t,” said Maria.

While her family adjusted to her absence, Iris arrived at Sims University.  It was in a town on a rocky and mountainous terrain much farther up the coast than Sunset Valley, and the weather there was still much cooler.  Some of last fall’s leaves still blew across the ground in the spring breeze as she walked up the path to her dorm, a historic building that almost looked like an old castle.  It was not an open dorm for all university students, but one exclusive to a very few honors students like her that earned special scholarships that were highly competed for.  Sometimes there were nice perks to being a genius plantsim from a rich family of scientists.

Although the old stone building was dark and nothing like the open sunniness of a greenhouse or modern home full of windows like she was used to, she could not help but like it.  It felt special and exclusive, and made her feel optimistic about the upcoming semesters ahead of her.  Iris Wainwright had arrived, and she was ready to take on Sims University!

Offline Cheezey

• Immortal
Brilliant Minds: The Wainwrights of Sunset Valley - Happy Holidays!
« Reply #393 on: December 25, 2022, 11:53:17 PM »
Happy Holidays, everyone!

Dear old Boyd and Susan have lived to see another Snowflake Day, and both they and their family are elated about it. Susan is less elated about that Santa beard on her husband that he kept going after a “No-Shave November” challenge he and Patrick took on together for fun. You may recall that Susan is not a fan of facial hair and occasionally grumps at Patrick about his rock star stubble look, and how Boyd said that was the reason he never grew one. That and he looked like a gnome if he did. However, one night as November approached, Patrick asked Boyd if it really looked that bad, as he’d never even seen a picture of him with one. He said fine, sure, why not? Then, since it was so close to Snowflake Day, he figured he might as well roll with it and be Santa with the real beard, too. It was keeping him warm in that cold weather. Susan didn’t even mind. Rumor has it that she bought him a brand new high-tech razor in his stocking, however.

Patrick kept his beard after “No-Shave November” too, going for a festive Father Winter kind of look to celebrate that he and Maria are soon going to have a second child, while little Jessica grows bigger and more curious about the world around her every day, like a true eccentric little Wainwright. Plumboptimus, Buddy, and the two other dolls also joined in for the picture, although Patches is only half-present in the world with Iris away at Sims University and Jessica’s little Fluffs is not yet fully awakened. Maria has been enjoying the comforts of home this winter, working on her novel and hoping that her next baby will be as lucky as Jessica and skip her dreaded curse.

Orion, Tara, Andromeda and Connie also wish you a happy Snowflake Day from their home, a very happy one for them indeed as it’s Andromeda’s first. They went all out with the fun festive outfits to make the celebration as merry and bright as they could for her.

Although she’s away at Sims University, Iris sends her holiday greetings as well.

And always the ones to prove that while you may have to get old, you don’t have to act it, Blair and Cycl0n3 had some holiday fun to share, too. Blair dressed nicely (though you can’t see her glowing nose reindeer socks – a present from Chris!) but Cycl0n3 decided to put a peppermint twist on the “pink nightmare” bunny outfit from the holiday classic movie about the kid who was going to shoot his eye out with a plum-b gun. Travis also got festive, since his grumpy heart warms a little on Snowflake Day, and wore a holiday tie and Santa hat. Cybelle didn’t have any holiday accessories, but considering she decorated the house for them, we’ll give her a pass.

Last but not least, the Wolff-Sw0rd family. Tad and Chris in their holiday sweaters, Simwave tending the fire, and yes, that’s Raul who aged to teen (minor spoiler, oops) next to little Danielle, Esmeralda in the back, and Hilda up front. The game was getting testy about CAS so Hilda and Esme just got their regular formal wear rather than new outfits, but they’re pretty and classy, so it’s cool. Diddy and Princess are in the picture, but little Princess is being a prima donna and won’t face the camera. She’s cute, but sassy. Sadly, Morgana and Caleb were not available for the picture due to the game being typical TS3 touchy, and I wasn’t going to risk a crash. I’m sure they enjoyed their Snowflake Day with Stiles, though.