Author Topic: Divine Deception -- S4E24: Series Finale  (Read 76851 times)

Offline experience

• Occult
  • If you pity a snake, you're bound to get bitten.
    • Nolan M Cruz
Re: Divine Deception -- S204: Name Game
« Reply #105 on: April 27, 2016, 10:34:47 AM »
So happy that you made it back, Katala! Thanks for all of the support.

Offline experience

• Occult
    • Nolan M Cruz
Re: Divine Deception -- S205: Estrange
« Reply #106 on: May 01, 2016, 07:01:17 PM »
Divine Deception
"Estrange"

"Okay, open your eyes, honey," my mother tells me before adding, "Happy birthday, I hope you enjoy it!"

Once my eyes adjust to the morning sun, I can see what she's referring to. A black car, that's the best way that I can describe it. The paint is the shiniest of them all. The exterior glistens in the light as if it's always wet and the vibrant blue streak seems to have a way to illuminate all on its own. I can't see an emblem and when I squint at the top of the hood, I can see a small block that I assume the statuette-like emblem descends into in case somebody decides to try and steal it.

"My own car?" I ask, turning to my mother. She nods and I do nothing other than fling my arms around her and squeeze her tight. "Thank you!"

"You're welcome, now hurry up. You don't want to be late for school." She pauses. "It's up to you now."

"Yeah, yeah." I've already gotten myself into the car and pulled on my seat belt. I won't be late for school. Not now. Besides, I am way too excited to even eat anything so I am saving time by not having breakfast. I turn the ignition and the car purrs to life around me. The GPS asks me where I want to go. When I put the car into reverse, the screen changes to the rear camera so that I can see where I am going and the music booms around me as if I have a Magico loudspeaker in every corner. I almost don't hear my mother when she knocks on my window. I turn down the music and put the window down. "Yes?"

"And don't even think about skipping. Just because you have a set of wheels does not mean to take advantage of them. Don't make me regret buying you this."

Skip school? I wouldn't even think about it. At least not today. Today we have a field trip and I'll be able to drive myself there and not have to take the loser bus. Also what that chick Alicia said last night still has my blood pulsing on a burning level. The lies she made up about the Alto name and how worthless we are. If there's any day that I'm not going to skip school, it's this one. I'm going to show her, as well as everybody else at that school just what the Alto name has to offer.

But when I get to school, nobody's paying much attention to the sweet ride I just pulled up in. I get the occasional glance here and there, and Heather comes over to comment on how the blue is almost the same colour as her cousin Katy Perry's eyes, but other than that, everybody is up at the front of the school. From the outside, it looks like another fight has broken out. I won't be surprised if Tom has started teasing Jordon again about the way he dresses.

It's not Jordon, though. I mean, Jordon's there, sure, but there, in front of three other jocks, is Keith Sanderson, captain of the football team. He's also my date to the Fall Ball. We've been going steady for three months now. He's got the average boy next door look. Brown hair, blue eyes. A jaw that goes for miles. His tee-shirts always look a little too tight, pinching into the lines of his muscles, and from getting to know him I've learned he likes it that way. Yet, today he looks almost unrecognizable. His hair has been split down the middle and is tied into pigtails just like Jordon's hair. The three jocks behind him look normal, but an argument has broken out and the three of them are defending Keith. People see me and then roll their eyes. Some shove me back while others defend me. I can't make out for a second what is going on. Voices hiss.

"Great, she's here."

"Go home!"

"Typical Alto, treat people like dirt."

"She thinks she's better than everybody else."

My heart is racing and beating so hard that I can barely hear them. I squeeze between the countless bodies and make it to Keith's side. "Keith, what's going on?" I can't help but eye his choice of hairstyle. I think it's a joke, that he's teamed up with the rest of the school in mocking Jordon. Although there's something in his eyes that tells me differently.

"So, you thought it was funny yesterday?" he asks me. He's not quiet. He's loud, like he wants to make a scene. Wants everybody to hear.

"What are you talking about?"

"You know," he urges me. "You got everybody revved up."

I lean back and cross my arms. "That was Tom--"

"Liar!" somebody yells from behind me. I turn to see who it is and all I can see is a group of angry students. They aren't students of any worth. They're the nerds, the goths, the nobodies.

When I look back I see Keith pulling something from his knapsack. He quickly tosses it at me. I catch it and unfold the pink dress. It's not mine, but it's still ugly. "What is this?"

"Isn't this what you suggested for Jordon yesterday?" He rips it back from my grasp and pulls it over his own clothes. "What happens when I wear it? Are you embarrassed of me?"

I snort. "Okay, you've made your point, Keith."

"No, I haven't... We're done."

I am taken back and I have to clear my throat to speak again. "W-What?"

"I'm breaking up with you. I thought you were different, but what you say... what you do..." He's shaking his head from side to side and I can't find any will to defend myself. I am speechless. "Yesterday was proof enough that you're just another rich girl who cares only about money and what people think about her, and will go as far as hurting somebody else to make sure that she's okay. I don't like girls who spit venom. I'm leaving you to swallow it." And he turns and makes his way inside. Before he's completely out of sight, he turns back to me and says, "Oh, by the way, nice car."

Students shuffle past me, pushing me like I'm not even visible anymore. When the bell rings to notify us that class starts in five minutes, only those who support me stand outside with me. "Oops!" I say to them, trying to hide my embarrassment. I laugh like nothing is wrong and pretend to laugh so hard that the tears in my eyes look like they're from that and not from the fact that I am fifteen seconds from bursting into tears. Nothing can hide my humiliation and shame, so I casually make my way to the girls washroom and clean myself up. When I am done, I get back to my car and follow the bus to the theatre.

I meet up with the rest of the class who waits for me at the bus. Miss Wanabango hates when we are off schedule and today is no exception. It's the same lecture every time. She always tells us how in the working world being late means less money. While it makes sense, I've always believed there to be more to what she's saying. Now, I can see irritation in her caramel eyes, but to my surprise she doesn't open her mouth to give me a good verbal lashing. Instead she tells me that I am the final student and we step inside.

As we are led to our seats, I can see classes from other schools. Boys from Dribbleline Sports Academy are ahead of our line while Smuggsworth bring up the rear. I notice what I assume is a class from Riverview just arriving. They are all decked out in long sleeve sweaters, track pants and toques. It has to be Riverview. While I've never travelled there, from what my mother has told me, their cold weather starts a lot earlier than ours here in Sunset Valley.

We take our seats and the play begins. It's a long, boring piece that I could have done without. Half the time I pull out my phone and text Heather when Miss Wanabango isn't looking. Heather tells me that Keith has started a new trend and both boys and girls have started the pink dress and pigtails look as if just to spite me. When the play is over, Miss Wanabango leads us back to the bus. I am about to cut away and head back to my car when she calls me back for a quick announcement.

"Before everybody heads home, you have homework."

"Homework?" somebody in the back whines.

"You will be paired up and by the end of class tomorrow I want a two thousand word essay on what you believe the true meaning behind Estrange was." She pauses and starts to name off the pairs. "And finally, Delilah and Alicia."

Disbelief. It's the first and only thing I feel, which is preposterous. After the day that I've been having, it seems only fitting that I get paired up with the girl who had a good laugh screwing around with my vision of my family. If anything I should have expected it. But still, the girl who said my family was trash, that suckered me into going to dinner with her, pointed her finger at me for siding with Tom yesterday... Why shouldn't I have thought being paired with her to do an essay wasn't coming down the tubes? Today seems to be about as ludicrous as it gets. Why stop at my boyfrined dumping me, humiliating me in front of the whole school, on my birthday of all days?

"Here we are again," Alicia says as she makes it to my side. She looks as happy as I feel about this little arrangement. When she motions for me to head to the bus, I shake my head and tell her, "Get in the car." When I had said I wanted to show my car to her this morning, this wasn't what I had in mind.

"How does that sound to you?"

Alicia has just read our final statement out loud and all I can do is nod. "It sounds fine," I tell her. I told her the same thing the time before she rewrote it. And the time before that. And the time before that. And so on. Before yesterday I didn't know much about this girl and at this point in time I still don't, but there are two things I do know. Alicia is a perfectionist, and never be paired with a perfectionist if you want to finish an assignment.

The door opens and my mother walks around the corner. "Delilah, you can't park your car on the lawn. There's a specific spot for it for a reason--Oh, I'm sorry, I didn't know we had a guest."

"Miss Wanabango gave us an assignment that we need to finish tonight," I explain as I make the final corrections to my draft. "My car is just there until I drive Alicia home."

"Alicia?"

"Sorry, Alicia, this is my mother, Vita and mother this is Alicia."

The two of them lock eyes and stay there for a moment. "Uh, hi," they both say right at the same time as if cued to do so. They don't say anything else, but they still look at each other as if speaking in a language that doesn't involve using ones own vocal cords or opening their mouth. I glare at both of them with a hint of hysteria growing inside of me. What was going on? Before I can say anything, my mother speaks up again.

"Deli, dear, you're almost done I take it?" she says to me. "It's still your birthday and I was hoping we could go dress shopping for the Fall Ball. It's only a few days away."

I shake my head. "I'm not going. It's been one mess of a day." I can see something in my mother's face I can't quite put my finger on. Impatience? Affliction? "Keith broke up with me," I explain to her to try and smooth out whatever she's feeling. It doesn't work. She's as agitated as ever.

"Well, maybe he just needs some time. Maybe he's dealing with something personal. He'll probably ask you again, apologize for whatever he's done. Let's just make sure that you're ready for it." She places a hand on my shoulder and another one of Alicia's. "When the two of you have finished, we'll drive Alicia here home and then I'll take you out for something to eat. We'll talk. We've got a lot to talk about."

I squint at my mother, though she's unable to hold my gaze. Her face has gone pale and the whole time that she was trying to convince me to take her suggestions, I could hear the anxiety rising in her voice, her inability to hide it. I sigh and shrug my shoulders. "Fine, I guess you're right. Keith has done this before." And he has. He likes to make a big deal of things and then comes crawling back. Still, as I finish up with Alicia, I can see my mother in the back, watching us with eyes of a hawk.

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline chetanhaobijam

• Chet for short
  • Immortal
« Reply #107 on: May 01, 2016, 11:08:59 PM »
Nice update. Poor Deli, too much bad for her after that humiliation and breakup. Curious to see what's gonna happen in the talk. Looking forward for next update.

Sent from my Micromax A94 using Tapatalk

Chetan's Designs(my Sims3 Creations)

by Swirl~Girl

Offline Katala

• Llama Wrangler
« Reply #108 on: May 02, 2016, 01:04:59 AM »
Is Vita going to come clean with Delilah?

Hmmmm...... Another great update, I can't wait for the next one and "the talk"
"Two paths diverged in the woods, and I took the one less traveled...And it hurt man! Rocks! Thorns! Glass! Not cool Robert Frost, not cool."
- Kid President

Offline LivvieLove

• Queen of Mush
  • Watcher
  • "Sh! Be quiet! The nutters are out to get me."
« Reply #109 on: May 02, 2016, 02:03:01 AM »
So I'm just now reading this story, I've been watching it for a while now but I haven't had much time to check it out and I LOVE it.
You have such a unique writing style, I'm absolutely hooked.

Granted, I'm still on season one currently, at the Sunset Hotel to be exact, so I'll be commenting again as soon as I catch up. I just wanted to say that I absolutely love your story and that I'm sorry it's taken me this long to read it! =)

Offline experience

• Occult
    • Nolan M Cruz
« Reply #110 on: May 02, 2016, 12:37:16 PM »
Nice update. Poor Deli, too much bad for her after that humiliation and breakup. Curious to see what's gonna happen in the talk. Looking forward for next update.

Is Vita going to come clean with Delilah?

Hmmmm...... Another great update, I can't wait for the next one and "the talk"

Thanks guys! I just finished resizing all my photos of the rest of the season and organizing them, and I am so excited for what's to come. I hope everybody is as well. :D

So I'm just now reading this story, I've been watching it for a while now but I haven't had much time to check it out and I LOVE it.
You have such a unique writing style, I'm absolutely hooked.

Granted, I'm still on season one currently, at the Sunset Hotel to be exact, so I'll be commenting again as soon as I catch up. I just wanted to say that I absolutely love your story and that I'm sorry it's taken me this long to read it! =)

Welcome LivvieLove! Thank you so much for your kind words. I am so happy that you are enjoying the story. I've said it before, but I know how different Divine Deception is to other sims stories, it isn't typical and I am grateful that it is still enjoyed. Thank you for your support! I look forward to hearing what you think.

Offline experience

• Occult
    • Nolan M Cruz
Re: Divine Deception -- S206: Speck in Purity: Part 1
« Reply #111 on: May 08, 2016, 09:28:26 AM »
Divine Deception
"Speck in Purity: Part 1"

Hatred is a starving monster. A monster that once fed, yearns for a fuller belly that can never really be met. The longer it stays with you, the more it breeds and when you have nothing left to feed it, the demon swallows you whole. When I first began my life as a Destroyer, I fell victim to taunting its hunger. That was my job. To hate the people around me and hurt those who can't help themselves. Since then I've been teetering on hatred's stiff jaws and it wasn't until I saw Vita Alto again for the first time that I dropped down the beast's throat.

I watch from the park across from the school. I've been here for hours. In the same place, the same hour like I have been for the last two weeks. I listen to the birds sing their morning tune. I smell the exhaust from the passing school buses. And I catch a glimpse of the redhead I now know as my daughter as she climbs the stairs to the school and enters through the front doors. It took some rummaging through social media to find out what she looks like and where she goes to school. I wasn't wrong when I assumed she was living with Vita. One of the pictures on her Facebook page was with Vita in the background. Even if Vita hadn't been in the photo, I would have known that she was my daughter. I know those eyes from anywhere. They're exact replicas of the ones that I look into every morning when I brush my teeth.

I haven't spoken a word to her. Delilah won't believe some stranger is her mother, no matter how many facts I use to back me up. Instead I sit here. I watch her. I love her from a distance. It's the best I can ask for right now. I'm not a stable woman and to be seen as a stable mother is even further down my path. Since my confrontation with Vita, I've learned that I have lost all my control on my emotions. I used to be so good at keeping them intact behind the mask I hid behind for so long. But ever since I took it off to reveal to Nick the monster I really am, I lost it and I can't seem to figure out where exactly the mask is. I think I am getting better, though. I've started meditating again. I don't go as far as being able to conjure memories like I did two weeks ago, yet I do return to my place of tranquility so that I can reform some of the little control I've lost.

I now have a house on the other side of town. It's a little bungalow. Nothing big and impressive like Alto Manor, but it does its job. I've always had money way before I married into the Alto family, my job pays well, but I didn't use any of it. I used up everything I could that was left of Nick and me to pay for it. I also bought new clothes, a new car, invested in some local shops and gave the rest to charity. I don't want to be linked to the Alto name anymore and by ridding myself of its funds, I can do just that. Now all that's left is figuring out what to do about Delilah seeing as she's the last piece of the puzzle.

My heart skips a beat and a smile tickles the corners of my lips. "Delilah's the last piece," I repeat to myself, knowing that if I can cleanse my soul of my evil doings that I can be with her. And I have all this time to do just that. I know if I continue on this path of purity, I will be able to touch the edge of greatness and be with the one person who makes me happy. While I was frustrated with Vita two weeks ago, I can't honestly say that I wanted to destroy her anymore than I already have. I know I need to move on and to do that I need to step away from her and forgive her for what she and Nick had done to my family. She was a part of the destruction of my previous family, my mother and father. I'm not going to allow her to ruin what I have left.

Everything I hope for caves in when my eyes connect with his. I don't have the words to describe what I am feeling. My eyes water. My hands sweat. My gut feels like somebody is churning it while heating up the blood that courses through my body. My eyes trace him from head to toe. His once black hair has started to be overgrown with grey strands. His pale skin looks almost white in the early morning sun. His beetle-like eyes take my breath away. My limbs go limp as if I'm a marionette whose strings have been cut. Reginald Peters. I'm about to shout for help when I spot the outline of a gun in his jacket pocket.

Reginald doesn't say anything. He just takes a seat next to me, looking around to make sure nobody is watching. Everybody is took focused on their own schedule, being late or getting their first cup of coffee to see that something is amiss. For some reason, now of all times I am able keep my emotions in check. Maybe it is because my life is on the line.

Reginald Peters is the man who hired me to destroy the Altos. He's the person who ordered me to ruin Vita until she had nothing left to live for, and to kill Nick. When he first asked me to do such a thing, he said that it was an opportunity to avenge my parents. I had taken it once I found a file in one of Nick's trash bins outside his work. A file that contained my mother's assassination outcome. I didn't think of it much back then. I was young. I was young, naive and angry and to hurt those who hurt me was a way of getting even in my eyes. I've had many years to think about it and with clearer eyes, I think he set the whole thing up. Seeing him now, I can only wonder what he wants.

"You," I gasp when my jaw finally unlocks. My voice is hoarse with fear and a tinge of regret, but I ignore it. Reginald smiles at me. It had once been a gesture that calmed me, yet ever since the day he asked me to kill, his lips have turned into a cold a sharp grin that I will never be able to forget.

"Sadie, you're looking well," he says casually, as if he's not holding an armed weapon in his pocket. "Beautiful day, wouldn't you say?"

I swallow hard. "What do you want?"

He makes a disapproving noise and his eyebrows knit together. "That's no way to speak to somebody that just bailed you out. I would have expected some thanks."

"You bailed me out?" I ask. I don't know whether I should be grateful or churlish. It was, however, his fault that I ended up in that prison to begin with. Before Nick and I had travelled to the cemetery, Reginald had told me to call a number and that he would use his power to free me. When I called I was linked to a message stating that the phone number was no longer in service. "Why? Why bother after so many years?"

"The higher-ups asked for it." His lips part, revealing his brilliantly white teeth. "They have a task they need your help with."

I stare at him with wide eyes before I snicker. I'm not happy, but I can't do anything else. What he's asked is completely ludicrous. After the shock wears off, my smirk drops and I look away. "No way in he--"

"Before you refuse the offer, I should warn you that your choice may have consequences," Reginald interjects.

"You have taken everything from me, Reginald," I tell him. I used to be respectful when he hired me so many years ago. I'd always called him Mr. Peters. But now, there isn't one piece of respect for this man I haven't already spit on. If he didn't have a gun pointed at me, I'd show him how much a Destroyer can do. "I trusted you to get me out of that hole of a prison. I expected not to have been put in there to begin with. And now, after fifteen years, you come waltzing along, asking me to complete a task for you?"

"The higher-ups, actually," he corrects me.

"Well, you can tell the higher-ups where they can shove it then," I snap. "I won't be bit again."

Reginald sighs heavily as he leans back against the bench. He's not looking at me. He's rolled his head back and is gazing up to the sky. If anybody is to walk by and see us, Reginald has done a very good job at looking like we are two friends enjoying the morning air. "I won't force you," he says calmly. "We both know how rough things get for both sides when one feels forced."

"Good, then we're done here."

"Not exactly. I told you that your choice may have consequences, did I not?" He doesn't wait for my reply before continuing. "Do you remember your high school years?"

I follow his line of vision to Delilah's school across the street. "I'm not particularly fond of them," I comment.

"What were you exactly? Popular? Rebel? Nerd?"

I glare at him, unable to comprehend where he's going with this conversation. "I was a nobody and grateful for it."

"And why is that?"

"Because I was hidden. Nobody ever knew what I was up to or what I was dealing with. There wasn't one person in that school who knew I was alive, which let me get away with anything. But your point, please."

"Unfortunately, the popular students struggle at keeping their personal information to themselves. And with social media it has given us the help needed to find who we are looking for. Just like you, I presume." He pauses just long enough for my hand to spasm. "Your daughter is head cheerleader, Sadie. A teenager who flaunts her name and wealth. I'd say she makes a great Alto. Wouldn't you agree?"

"I swear, if you touch her--"

"Uh-uh-uh," he stops me with a wag of his finger. "Here's the deal: You agree to take part in our assignment and your daughter won't be hurt. If you fail to agree to our terms, I can't guarantee Delilah's safety."

As I watch Reginald get to his feet, I can't help but feel that my climb to purity has started to become slippery. The stones I use for stability, the gear I need to continue upward have been stripped from me and I am now tumbling down the hole that has swallowed me before. As much as I want out, Reginald is pushing me back in. The man who forced me before is forcing me again and this time he isn't asking.

"I'll meet you back at your place," he says. "It's such a lovely new house. I can't wait to see the inside." And then he's walking out of sight. Out of my grasp. I no longer have any hold on anything. Reginald is gone when I look over my shoulder. The same man who has thrown a wrench into any plans for the future. And I just sit there. My body is shaking. Sweat has broken out along my forehead and under my arms. I have to concentrate hard to keep my breathing under control for fear that I may hyperventilate. I stare at the school that holds my daughter. I need to do anything to keep her safe.

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline chetanhaobijam

• Chet for short
  • Immortal
Re: Divine Deception -- S206: Speck in Purity
« Reply #112 on: May 08, 2016, 09:51:09 PM »
Great update. Good to see Sadie back. She must be very happy from seeing her daughter. And I wonder what will be her next assignment.

by Swirl~Girl

Offline Magz from Oz

• Watcher
« Reply #113 on: May 10, 2016, 03:54:24 AM »
OMG Poor Sadie - she may as well change her name to Sisyphus, because as long as Delilah lives, she's going to at the mercy of Peters and the "higher-ups" FOREVER!
Where there is love - there is life. -- Mahatma Gandhi

My Stories:
1. Duty Calls
2. Duty Calls Sequel: Islands of Sunset Valley
3. The Lady of the Lake
4. The Secret Time Traveler

Offline LivvieLove

• Queen of Mush
  • Watcher
« Reply #114 on: May 10, 2016, 07:05:11 PM »
I'm caught up! Phew that was quite a ride!
I don't have much to say other than WOW! That's incredible! I love this story so much! I need to see Sadie succeed! She needs to get her happy ending! I want to see her with Vic, and I want them to have a happily ever after with Delilah!

I want a lot of things, but man this is excellent! You've outdone yourself experience! This is supremely well written and highly entertaining. I'm hooked and I can't wait to see how this one ends. 

Offline Katala

• Llama Wrangler
« Reply #115 on: May 14, 2016, 01:12:24 AM »
Mr. Peters, we meet at last!!

Poor Sadie, she was just getting better, and now he shows up and ruins it all :(
"Two paths diverged in the woods, and I took the one less traveled...And it hurt man! Rocks! Thorns! Glass! Not cool Robert Frost, not cool."
- Kid President

Offline experience

• Occult
    • Nolan M Cruz
« Reply #116 on: May 14, 2016, 10:48:10 AM »
Thanks guys! I am really happy that you are all enjoying it. Sadie is a strong woman with the physical power to destroy anything in her path. Unfortunately her own focus is holding her back.

It's great to see that you are all caught up, @LivvieLove and I hope to continue hearing your thoughts. They are always appreciated and welcomed. :D Stay tuned to see if your wants become Sadie's reality. LOL hahaha!

I should have the next episode up today or tomorrow.

Offline experience

• Occult
    • Nolan M Cruz
Re: Divine Deception -- S207: Speck in Purity: Part 2
« Reply #117 on: May 15, 2016, 10:15:49 PM »
Divine Deception
"Speck in Purity: Part 2"

I take my time going back home. Partly because I hope that if I take too long, Reginald will give up and leave. I don't want to see him at my doorstep, open the door and invite him inside, no matter how many times he rings the doorbell. Also I wanted to make sure Delilah was safe and sound. That she didn't have somebody following her on her way home. It was clear. After her field trip to the theatre, she went home with another girl who looked a lot like Vita's daughter. Nobody was on their tail.

By the time I get home, my driveway is empty, Reginald isn't at the base of my door and the lights are all off. I make my way inside. Maybe he got the message. He would probably go back to the agency and tell the higher-ups as he called them, that I wasn't happy about our previous arrangement and how it all fell out by the end of the mission. I can only hope that he explains that maybe it would be best if we just split ways. My heart wants to believe something involving the agency could be so simple, but my brain knows better.

And when I flick the switch for the lights in the living room, I know that my brain is right. Reginald sits casually in the middle of the sofa, leaning back as if he owns the joint. He doesn't look over to meet my gaze, but I know that he's aware of my presence. I stare at him. Maybe if I do so long enough I can bore a hole through the thin skin of his that encases his skeleton. That way I won't have any problem breaking his bony limbs one by one. My feet take flight before I can comprehend that they are moving. The living room blurs on the sides of me as my eyes train on the neck on Reginald Peters.

I toss my body into his and we trip over the coffee table, falling to the ground together. A vase of flowers tips off of the glass surface and shatters next to us into a hundred tiny pieces. Reginald has rolled me over the shards, a few cutting into my back and I can immediately feel the specks of blood dampening my shirt. I ignore it.

"You little bi--" Reginald gasps right before I can knee him in the gut and push kick him over my head. I don't let go of him. I don't dare let him escape my grasp. Instead I roll onto his stomach, grab the collar of his jacket and slam him into the floor with as much strength that I have. I go to punch him in the face when he jerks his head to the side. My fist connects with the hardwood floor and shoots a bolt of pain straight up my arm. I'm stunned. I'm open. Reginald doesn't hesitate. The base of his foot has made it to my chest and pushes me off of him, sending me backwards until my head hits the ground, spinning my whole world around like I'm on some merry-go-round. I hear Reginald get to his feet, gasping and I know that if I don't move, I'm as good as dead. I scurry behind the loveseat to gather my bearings and listen to his footfall. He's calm, like he always is, taking one step precisely after the other. There's no rush. There isn't even any tension. I don't wait for him to make his way to the other side of the loveseat when I push off the ground, propel myself over the back of the loveseat and shoot my leg out to hit him in the chest. It's as if Reginald sees it coming. He opens his arms and grabs my leg, capturing it inside his armpit and locking it in with both hands. I can go nowhere but fall into him, exactly where he wants me to be. He lets go of my leg just in time to grab my arm and flip me to the floor. A headache erupts at the side of my skull as the ground makes contact with it.

"You're emotionally involved," Reginald says as he catches his breath.

I turn onto my side and push myself to my knees slowly. Very slowly. I'm dizzy to the point where I can't find stability to get to my feet. I stare at the floor as I wait for Reginald to continue. He never does, though. He's just looking at me with that smug face of his. "You've seen nothing yet," I mumble.

"Oh, but I think I have. Motherhood has made you weak," he clarifies with a grin. "You never were this distracted when we first met..."

The day I was called by Reginald is projected against the back of my mind.

"You were focused and didn't let anything faze you. You kept your cards close and rarely let anybody know what was going on behind that poker face of yours." Reginald chuckles and motions for me to sit.

"You were a Destroyer that we believed in. Calm and calculated. It was why we chose you and not some other nobody." I take a seat on the sofa opposite him as he continues to prattle on. "Do you remember the first thing you said to me when I asked you if you could do my task?"

I squint at him. "The first time we spoke or after you forced me into a killing game?"

The corners of his lips curl. "You said that you could provide me with any service I needed. That you were the best Destroyer the world had to offer."

"I was young and arrogant."

"No, you were confident. You believed in yourself and that is precisely the reason why the agency has chosen to free you." Reginald pauses. "We need you, Sadie. There's nobody else out there that can do this."

"And now I can say that there is nobody out there period."

"You haven't let me explain what the mission consists of."

So I let him explain the mission and this is what he tells me.

There's a man outside of town who goes by the name Seth Sullivan. From the look on Reginald's face I get the feeling that it's an alias. Seth is a big earner, invests his money carefully but always in large amounts. He has no boundaries when it comes to good or bad as long as it gets him the money. He's started a charity for the needy. Gathers sponsors to build houses and schools all across the world. From the outside, Seth looks like another person who is trying to do good. It's not until Reginald tells me that Seth pockets the money and finds cheaper ways of bringing his promises into reality. One of the public pools he built was filled with water from a waste dump, shocked to death with chemicals and said that the water's fogginess was natural.

"He told his people that what the community didn't know wouldn't hurt them," Reginald explains to me. "He's a scummy business man who hurts thousands of people due to his immoral ways. That's why we need somebody like you to take him down at the knees and remind him that there are people out there that can catch up to him no matter what name he goes under."

I look down at my hands. "I..."

"Might I remind you that if you refuse the offer, Delilah is no longer safe. There are no limits to what we can and will do to her." He glares at me. Not to scold me, but to show me how blunt he is being. "You of all people know how much power the agency holds."

I do. It was the agency that broadcasted Vita's confession to the manservant all across town. When she told him that she wanted to take all of her sponsors' money and run off to a happily ever after. Reginald had helped to put that broadcast on air. He'd admitted to it too. And now, looking into his hazel eyes, I know he's not lying when he says he'll do whatever he can to get Delilah in his cross hairs.

I take a deep breath. "I'll do it." I finally say. "Just, please, don't do anything to Delilah."

"That's exactly what I wanted to hear. That's the Sadie I knew fifteen years ago." He straightens himself and gets to his feet. "I'll keep in touch with you. You know the drill. Don't leave the country and if you must leave town, please, let me know where exactly you are going and for how long. I'd hate to have to track you down."

"Understood."

"Good. The next time we speak I will have all the information on Seth Sullivan with me. What we are going to do with him will be decided in a week or two." He looks me up and down as if trying to get inside my head. "I know you hate me, Sadie. You've hated me for a very long time, but please understand that we are trying to rid ourselves of the evil doers for those who can't do it themselves. Isn't that exactly what a Destroyer was made to do?"

"And why do you do it?" I ask him.

Reginald shrugs his shoulders. "I do it because the higher-ups ask for it."

As he walks past me to the door, her pats me on the shoulder for a split second and in that little time I flinch. What I've just agreed to makes me sick. I thought the moment I killed Nick Alto that my life as a Destroyer was over. I was fine with that. As crazy as it may sound, I was happy. Even if I had to spend fifteen years in a cold cell, I knew my life hurting others was complete. I think back to that final morning with Delilah. The baby in my arms as I hugged her for the last time. Back then I had said that she was the reason why I wanted to stop. That she was that missing piece of my inner self that I never believed could be filled after my parents left me. And now, she is the reason why I continue.

Offline LivvieLove

• Queen of Mush
  • Watcher
« Reply #118 on: May 16, 2016, 01:53:38 AM »
Poor Sadie!
What an intense chapter. I really loved the raw emotion I felt from her. Her hands are tied. I get the feeling Reginald isn't as bad as he seems. I mean, he's pretty bad, but is he's really just the face we know. That whole corporation sounds rotten. Perhaps it's time for THEM to be destroyed, huh?

This was such a fantastic chapter experience! I'm still rooting for Sadie, as always. :) I really can't wait to see how she handles this job, and if she's ever able to be reconnected with her daughter in a meaningful way. I'm a sucker for happy endings, but I really feel like this story could take a turn in any direction at this point. I still will hope for the best for Sadie's sake though!

Offline chetanhaobijam

• Chet for short
  • Immortal
« Reply #119 on: May 16, 2016, 10:06:32 PM »
It was an awesome update. And what a great fight. I was really hoping for Sadie to win. But bad luck, Reginald had the upper hand. Looking forward for the next update.

by Swirl~Girl

anything