Author Topic: Getting a popup saying this is an unsafe site  (Read 2329 times)

Offline Janna

• Watcher
Getting a popup saying this is an unsafe site
« on: December 17, 2015, 12:55:19 PM »
I was doing some checking of info on the guide, using links from the forum.

An add from L'Oreal came up and then after I clicked on the x to get rid of it this came up:

Content to this website has been reported as unsafe static.reelfeed.tv hosted by www.cars-sims-4-guide.com
recommended that you do not continue to this website.  Go to my home page instead.
The website has been reported to Microsoft for containing threats to your computer that might reveal personal or financial information 

This was in a white box with red background
at the bottom of the box it states Microsoft smartscreen 

I don't know what is going on, but I have gotten this several times as I was checking out the info on the sims 4 from links in the forum

it did say a couple of more words after the reveal personal or financial info but I couldn't read my scribbling.

I closed out of it then when I opened another link from the forum on the guide info of sims 4 it popped up again. 

Thought I would let someone know so they can check it out. 

Offline Deklitch

• Nemesis of Reality
  • Watcher
  • Iceland has over 50 words for snow!
Re: Getting a popup saying this is an unsafe site
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2015, 02:58:48 PM »
Hi Janna, it sounds to me like you may have a virus/malware on your computer. I suggest running a malware detection/removal program and see if that helps. Off the top of my head, I can't remember the name of the one that works for me, sorry.

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline KRae

• Watcher
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2015, 03:45:33 PM »
It does sound like a virus. Does it happen on other sites as well? Do you have a recent restore point before this started happening?

Offline Carl

• Webmaster
  • Administrator
  • Watcher
    • Carl's Sims 4 Guide
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2015, 06:56:03 PM »
Yeah certainly isn't that we got flagged by some authority site.  More likely trickery out of an ad or a malware already on the computer as others said. Revardless I'll watch for any other reports and see if I can get it to come up myself.  It's always a bad idea to trust a pop-up telling you that there's a virus unless it comes from a program you installed to protect you.

Been a while since I caught a malware but malwarebytes anti malware free edition was known as pretty reliable last I did.

Offline Janna

• Watcher
« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2015, 11:25:20 PM »
I have malwarebytes (sp?) and did a check just a few days ago, but will do another check tomorrow.

Have an up-to-date virus protection, but will also do a check with it, a scan for virus and such.

This is the only site I have had this pop up on, the add problems is with a lot of sites, but the unsafe site one this is the first time I have had it happen.

I had wondered if it was a trick of an underhanded group trying to con people.

I don't fall for those, never trust anything that pops up and tells me I have a problem and I need to go here/there and they will fix it.  Yeah, right. I'm sure they have a bridge they would like to sell to me also if I was dumb enough to buy it. 

Offline BotanicGarden

• Nooboo
    • Kat's Sims Buzz -- Stories and More!
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2016, 05:18:42 PM »
It shouldn't say 'Go on my home page instead'. Does this happen for anything else?
I'm going to waste my time on here soon enough.

Offline MrsFlynn

• Admin Assistant
  • Administrator
  • Watcher
« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2016, 05:30:15 PM »
No this shouldn't be happening. Try closing your browser and try again. I will let Carl know the guide is getting odd  popups again. Thank you for letting us know. :)

It shouldn't say 'Go on my home page instead'. Does this happen for anything else?
Welcome!! We hope you enjoy the forum!!  Thank you for visiting!!
–Need Help? Check our Member FAQs Here. * –Read and follow the Forum Rules, please! *

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.