Author Topic: Online storage recommendations?  (Read 1339 times)

Offline Janna

• Watcher
Online storage recommendations?
« on: January 31, 2016, 02:43:18 PM »
I am ticked off at Geek Squad.  They were supposed to transfer important stuff from old computer to new one.  All of my word files (which has my work from when I had been working on a thesis).  Past papers from undergrad, photos from the kids from time little to present.  And a whole lot of other important item, taxes and saved files from Sims 3.

They said they put it in a section called Old PC.  They were supposed to make me a backup copy of what was on my old computer.  I told them to eraser everything that was on it and dispose of  it.  Bad, wrong, stupid thing to do. 

There is a section that says Old PC.  It is full of folders.  But the folders are empty.  I just installed yesterday Microsoft Office so I could access some papers I needed.  Nothing, zero, blank folders.  EVERYTHING is gone.  The folder they game me didn't have a backup copy, they forgot to make one.

I need to find an online storage that I can use.  I do have the memory card from my camera that has some of the photos so I will have some of the kids and dogs.  But all my taxes from the last four years are gone, papers, college work and other. 

Are there online storage sites that I can use?  Recommendations will be greatly appreciated. 

Offline KRae

• Watcher
Re: Online storage recommendations?
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2016, 05:43:02 PM »
My daughter uses Mozy. It saved her behind when her computer died. She got back all her files.

https://mozy.com/

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline Deklitch

• Nemesis of Reality
  • Watcher
  • Iceland has over 50 words for snow!
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2016, 07:45:40 PM »
I use the following
- Dropbox
- Google Drive
- One Drive (which comes with some versions of Office 2013)

You may find the following site useful to read through: http://www.pcadvisor.co.uk/test-centre/internet/14-best-cloud-storage-services-2016-uk-3614269/ .

It is UK based, so please take that into consideration.

Offline grimsoul

• Watcher
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2016, 09:00:00 PM »
I use Google Drive for some storage but I don't have the fastest or most reliable internet so most of my backups are on a external USB drive that I can move between computers as I need to and have access to even if my internet goes down for some reason. I got a 1 TB drive for around $60.00 US
A clear conscience is usually a sign of a bad memory.

Offline MrsFlynn

• Admin Assistant
  • Administrator
  • Watcher
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2016, 11:18:03 PM »
We too have external hard drives for offline backup. If you want to look into getting some external hard drives, let us know and we can help with that. :)
Welcome!! We hope you enjoy the forum!!  Thank you for visiting!!
–Need Help? Check our Member FAQs Here. * –Read and follow the Forum Rules, please! *

Offline Janna

• Watcher
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2016, 08:56:49 PM »
Thanks everyone for the info.  It has been a bit hectic here, so it took me a bit to have time to respond. 

I need to buy an external drive to make backups, had planned on doing that but kept putting it off.  I'm not totally blaming the Geek Squad, I should have made backups before I dropped off my old  computer.
But, I had trusted them to transfer the copies and to make me a back up.  They didn't.  I paid them $80 to do something they didn't do. 

Offline MrsFlynn

• Admin Assistant
  • Administrator
  • Watcher
« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2016, 09:28:50 PM »
If you're not satisfied with the service received, then you need to talk to BestBuy/GeekSquad to see if you can get your money back. Some companies only give you a certain amount of time to do so. So you may need to act quickly if you want a refund.
Welcome!! We hope you enjoy the forum!!  Thank you for visiting!!
–Need Help? Check our Member FAQs Here. * –Read and follow the Forum Rules, please! *

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline Carl

• Webmaster
  • Administrator
  • Watcher
    • Carl's Sims 4 Guide
« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2016, 12:15:13 AM »
@Janna that is infuriating and personally, I'd be demanding a full refund if not pursuing legal action for the loss of your data. That is something EVERYONE who works on computers knows, to respect other people's data, even if it's just pictures. Those pictures might mean a lot to a person. I'm sorry they failed you so badly.

Have you tried any of the undelete programs, some of it may be salvageable IF the data has not been overwritten yet. I don't want to give you false hope however, the chances are slim but you might get something back if they just did a simple wipe.

Files are not really gone until they are overwritten, formatting basically just frees up the space unless a person deliberately writes 0s in all sectors. A person must deliberately erase these by writing over them many times and government can sometimes even get them back after that. It's best to do this as soon as possible as files may take the original place of the files you want to recover.

http://www.officerecovery.com/freeundelete/ I cannot speak for this program but don't think it installed anything bad when I tested it on my PC. It asks for the drive to scan for. If any files are found they will likely have very strange filenames. I'm VERY sorry if this doesn't work and I gave you any false hope, but it is worth trying.

Regardless of if this works, you deserve a refund after a talk with the manager. They got lazy.

EDIT: If that one doesn't work, there is a paid program that will let you get 100MB back before the trial expires. It sounds like if you got just about anything it'd help :( You could be selective and perhaps get the most important stuff. Wondershare.

Edit2: the first program (freeundelete) I linked let me recover some fallout 4 screenshots I had deleted previously. I suggest you do this ASAP so that nothing overwrites the data. I HAD emptied my recycle bin. It will tell you the quality of the file. If it's good, chances are it will be intact. I wish you the best, let me know how it goes.