Author Topic: Enabling Custom Content w/the New Patch (Sims 3)  (Read 18122 times)

Offline Sonshine

• Heaven Bound
  • Watcher
Enabling Custom Content w/the New Patch (Sims 3)
« on: March 16, 2016, 07:02:14 AM »
Hi again, I am struggling to find out where to enable the custom content. I've looked in the launcher, and in options and just don't find it. The option to enable/disable cc does not come up at all in the launcher anymore. I have tons of cc and would like to use it. Thanks!

Offline MrsFlynn

• Admin Assistant
  • Administrator
  • Watcher
Re: Enabling Custom Content w/the New Patch (Sims 3)
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2016, 11:00:16 AM »
I don't use the Origin version of Sims 3. So I had to search this out. I'm not finding much, so I'm having to guess here.

From what I can tell the new Expansion/Stuff pack Launcher (1.69) is the same-ish as what you get with the disc version (1.67). Only the new launcher has the game selector with it.

Click image to see larger view

Copy your custom content = .Sims3Pack files into your Downloads folder.
C:\Users\<Username>\Documents\Electronic Arts\The Sims 3\Downloads

Open the Launcher, go to the Downloads tab, click Install All.

When it's finished, select the Installed Content tab. In this tab there should be a box you can checkmark - Run with Custom Content. To install your CC, click the Select All button. This may take several minutes depending on how much CC you have.

If you'd like to read more on the Expansion/Stuff pack launcher or if you are having problems seeing your cc, see any of the articles linked below.

Expansion and Stuff Pack Manager
https://sims3.crinrict.com/en/2015/11/expansion-and-stuff-pack-manager.html

The Sims™ 3 Expansion and Stuff Pack Manager
https://answers.ea.com/t5/Technical-Issues-PC/The-Sims-3-Expansion-and-Stuff-Pack-Manager/td-p/4937010

The Sims 3 Expansion and Stuff Pack Manager
http://help.ea.com/en/article/new-launcher-for-the-sims-3/

Hopefully this help. If it does, please let me know as I'm kind of curious if the launchers are still fairly similar.
Welcome!! We hope you enjoy the forum!!  Thank you for visiting!!
–Need Help? Check our Member FAQs Here. * –Read and follow the Forum Rules, please! *

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline Sonshine

• Heaven Bound
  • Watcher
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2016, 07:06:42 PM »
Thanks Mrs Flynn! I tried searching also. It's the package files that I'm having problems with. None of my package files show up. I have all of the official stuff installed. Just not the package files. In the "Installed Content" tab, the only button I have is the "Run w/o CC." When I select all, the only option is to uninstall it which means that it is already installed. In game, when I select "show custom content," nothing shows up. :( I'd like to find a way to enable the package files if possible. I really hope EA didn't disable that feature!

Offline MrsFlynn

• Admin Assistant
  • Administrator
  • Watcher
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2016, 07:36:17 PM »
I had a feeling you might have been talking about installing package files instead of the regular .Sims3Pack files. No EA didn't disable the feature. You can still install package files.

I myself am still in the learning process of using custom content package files, but did put together a howto.

HowTo: Install Sims 3 Custom Content without the Launcher
http://www.carls-sims-4-guide.com/forum/index.php/topic,26167.0.html
–Need Help? Check our Member FAQs Here. * –Read and follow the Forum Rules, please! *

Offline Sonshine

• Heaven Bound
  • Watcher
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2016, 01:00:03 AM »
Hi again Mrs Flynn! I don't know what's happening. None of my cc shows up at all. Yes, I have them all in the Mods/Package folder, but they do not show up and there is no where on the launcher where I can enable cc. The only thing I can think of is that there is no resource.cfg file. Every time I have one in there, the launcher crashes immediately when the game starts loading. I even tried making my own resource.cfg, but it still crashed on me. So EA has done something, maybe found a way to block package files? I saw a "warning" last night that package files could be dangerous and harm your comp. So maybe they disabled them?

Edit: I had a thought to try to put all of my package files into the mods/package folders since I don't have the resource.cfg file, but it still didn't work. :( I honestly am out of ideas not to get my cc to show up.

Offline MrsFlynn

• Admin Assistant
  • Administrator
  • Watcher
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2016, 10:43:43 AM »
I remember something like this happening before. Maybe what Beardeux found might help.

New install and mods won't work *Fixed!!*
http://www.carls-sims-4-guide.com/forum/index.php/topic,25671.0.html

Offline Sonshine

• Heaven Bound
  • Watcher
« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2016, 02:56:15 PM »
I'll check that out. I installed a bunch of s3pack files last night and those show up; it's just the package files I'm having troubles with. : /

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline Sonshine

• Heaven Bound
  • Watcher
« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2016, 04:43:57 PM »
Update: I have everything working now. YAY! I only need to re-d/l all of my mods. Everything else works great! Thanks!

Offline MrsFlynn

• Admin Assistant
  • Administrator
  • Watcher
« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2016, 04:59:00 PM »
I'm happy to hear you got the packages installed and working. How did you get them to start working?

Offline Sonshine

• Heaven Bound
  • Watcher
« Reply #9 on: March 17, 2016, 05:23:18 PM »
Well, it's back to the drawing boards! Trying to d/l some of NRAAS mods and ran into a road block. Evidently not all are up dated b/c I've been d/ling all of the correct versions and now I have to find out which one is the culprit of crashing the game. :(  Right about now, I'd love to take a shotgun to EA!!!!! This is the worst that they have ever messed things up! :(

Offline MrsFlynn

• Admin Assistant
  • Administrator
  • Watcher
« Reply #10 on: March 17, 2016, 05:40:51 PM »
You did mention that the custom content package files were working? Hopefully they still are working? If they are what did you do to get the packages to work again?

I'm sorry to hear about the Mods not working. Hopefully it's as easy to just leave the one or two that haven't been updated out?

Offline Sonshine

• Heaven Bound
  • Watcher
« Reply #11 on: March 17, 2016, 07:31:48 PM »
I  went to the page that you linked in the 6th post (New install and mods won't work *Fixed!!*
http://www.carls-sims-4-guide.com/forum/index.php/topic,25671.0.html). At first I made a mistake and thought that it was going to be useless, but then I read it word for word and followed it step by step. I believe what was happening was that I was missing the most current framework file. I d/led their resource file which had the latest framework. I'm now going through my mods one by one to see which one work and which ones don't. So far, I've found 2 that don't work (NRAAS Dreamer and Cupcake).

Offline Sonshine

• Heaven Bound
  • Watcher
« Reply #12 on: March 17, 2016, 08:57:02 PM »
So far, It's looking like most of the NRAAS mods are bad. :(  So far, the only ones that are good are Error Trap, Master Controller base mod, Register, and Portrait Panel. All others are crashing the game.

NRAAS Mods Are Crashing the Game
http://nraas.wikispaces.com/message/view/Chatterbox/88331389

Offline MrsFlynn

• Admin Assistant
  • Administrator
  • Watcher
« Reply #13 on: March 17, 2016, 11:26:15 PM »
I was just going to ask which mods, but then I took a peeksee over at Nraas's site to see that you posted about the problem. Thank you for that!! :)  Igazor has some good troubleshooting tips to try. Hopefully they work well and your game starts behaving.