Author Topic: The Apocalypse Challenge Support Thread  (Read 158780 times)

Offline IronicBeauty

• Llama Wrangler
Re: The Apocalypse Challenge Support Thread
« Reply #225 on: November 06, 2018, 03:27:07 AM »
Thanks so much @oshizu & @HelenP. Exactly what I needed!

I came up with a few rules for the extra careers (not counting additional career tracks) if anyone is interested;
(Best ones first)
*Doctor - No ordering medicine via the computer or having a baby at the hospital.
*Politician - No visiting 'state-run'/community lots like parks and museums. No player made wedding venues or 'Plan Wedding' option. Can only choose the 'Elope' option.
*Social Media - No chatting online or use of the tech forums
*Gardener - No growing any plants out of season so no greenhouses (Haven't actually played-out this career so not sure if there would be stumbling blocks to completion)
*Critic - Cannot visit the Art Gallery (City Living) or collect posters and snow globes (Should be more so still mulling it over as I play out the challenge)
*Detective - Cannot visit any Festivals (City Living) as crime would be too rampant. (Same as above)
*Scientist - Was somewhat stumped on this one but figured restricting use of the microscope and taking samples from plants made somewhat sense. Have to take the 'sample' option off of the Manual Labor Teen career though.

Thanks again for the help.

Offline Tynynounours

• Occult
« Reply #226 on: November 06, 2018, 09:19:43 AM »
I didn't add the new careers. I used City Living's social media for extra money for some sims after clearing esport gamer.

Most of the non base game careers can't be used before others restrictions are lifted (no travel/no gardening/no technology/....)

The first thing is to hierarchise your needs to have a founder with the right skills, and pick your future spouse wisely. My first choice for esport gamer had play video game as work task, and not program, and he needed programmation level 2.

For your questions :

1. if you can only use the fire pit to grill fish to begin with does it have to be surrounded by four walls and a roof?
The firepit takes more room than a grill. So maybe not the best choice, as it would need to be indoor.

2. If you can only use the fire pit outdoors then is using a grill indoors the only alternative with a sim that has at least lvl 3 cooking?
As said above, it depend on your priorities. My sims was a former wonderchild, so I made sure she had maxed cooking/gourmet cooking

3. Having the Granite Falls vacation pack means you must only grill fish till the culinary restriction is lifted?
Yes. But I believe grilled fruits would make sense, since we're allowed to eat them raw. Sims don't appear to suffer from the lack of variety.

5. Having as many children as possible is ideal in order to unlock as many careers as possible till you max the household limit?
It is, but until you have cleared Diamond Agent, you can't put them out of the house. So you might be stuck with too many people in, and no place to get a spouse/start the next generation.
Personnally, I'm not comfortable with full houses, so my sims don't have as many kids they could have, and Diamond Agent was an early lift. Also, I'm playing with genetics, so I don't quite care for the time spend lifting restrictions. @BallerinaHippo played really much faster.

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline oshizu

• Watcher
    • oshizu's asylum
« Reply #227 on: November 06, 2018, 12:50:55 PM »
3. Having the Granite Falls vacation pack means you must only grill fish till the culinary restriction is lifted?
Yes. But I believe grilled fruits would make sense, since we're allowed to eat them raw. Sims don't appear to suffer from the lack of variety.

I think the whole idea of requiring grilled fish is to make the starting phase of the challenge harder.
Living off of grilled fish requires the founder to catch fish while juggling the restriction on personal inventory. Grilled fruit is too easy, in my opinion.

Offline BallerinaHippo

• Immortal
« Reply #228 on: November 06, 2018, 05:50:41 PM »
Hello @IronicBeauty!  You've gotten some good answers from oshizu, Tynynounours, and HelenP, but I'll chime in anyway since I finished the AC recently.

1. if you can only use the fire pit to grill fish to begin with does it have to be surrounded by four walls and a roof?
I believe everything except a mailbox, trashcan, and rocket ship needs to be surrounded by four walls and a roof until Space Ranger is cleared.  And until Secret Agent- Villian is cleared, all those things have to fit in your 8x8 square (multiple levels are allowed). 

2. If you can only use the fire pit outdoors then is using a grill indoors the only alternative with a sim that has at least lvl 3 cooking?
I placed a grill indoors, but many others have successfully used grills in common spaces around the neighborhood.  I just didn't want to walk so far to grill.  The grill is a 1x2 object, though, so you're stuck with it until bodybuilder is cleared.

3. Having the Granite Falls vacation pack means you must only grill fish till the culinary restriction is lifted? Correct.  And since grilling fish requires level 3 cooking skill, you have to decide how strict you want to be.  Either you can allow your sims to grill fruit (and place a fish in family inventory each time) or not.  I chose not to allow it.  My work-around was to have my founder join the writer career after finishing his first career.  You can only get credit for completing one career per sim, but Pinstar said there is nothing to prevent your sim from quitting the first career (or aging out of it for a teen career) and taking another job.  So I had my founder join the author career later in life so that his work task would be "write books."  Then, he could write skill books for future generations.  You could also live off produce for a while (can't grow it, but can collect it in the wild) but that would be really inefficient and not great for toddlers.

This particular restriction is the reason a lot of people have their founder max the culinary career first.  Also, maxing the culinary career requires level 8 gourmet cooking skill (I think) which is difficult without skill books and without being able to use a stove.

4. Is there any restriction on who can unlock a career in the household? Nope, just one per sim as oshizu said.  And there are restrictions on moving sims in and out of the household which are tied to certain careers.

5. Having as many children as possible is ideal in order to unlock as many careers as possible till you max the household limit?  This is true to a certain degree.  My first couple had four children, but the next generation only had two kids.  Two is all I had room for at that point because I had too many older sims still alive.  If you unlock Diamond Secret Agent early, it would help.

I think your list of new restrictions for the new careers looks good.  I only used the original 25 careers because that was enough for me.  The only suggestion I have would be to try to tie new careers to some new feature that also came with an expansion pack.  So maybe you could say "no clubs" until "X" career is unlocked.  Or "no lots traits" until "Y" career is completed.  I think I read another AC story where they didn't allow aliens to move in and alien babies from abduction had to be given up until the Scientist career was unlocked.

Good luck with your challenge.  I'd love to hear how it goes!

Offline Anna

• Nooboo
« Reply #229 on: December 12, 2018, 01:24:24 AM »
Has anyone else found they're using the parental skill "take care of needs" interaction more than they ever would in a normal game? My teen sims in particular are constantly coming home with low fun and hygiene so I'm using the "make a fun face" social a whole lot, especially for my teen who has a career. Poor girl's never happy during the week.
Chambers Apocalypse Challenge - ongoing, game-typical themes including references to woohoo and crime, no explicit mature description

Offline JudesSims

• Sim Addict - and Proud of It!
  • Watcher
« Reply #230 on: April 14, 2019, 05:06:40 PM »
I am going to try this challenge once more. I will not be blogging due to ongoing health issues (elderhood sucks) but I will be live-streaming portions of it on Twitch. I am also going to *GASP* randomly roll the career restrictions. Why do I make things more difficult for myself? LOL   I have read through this thread again and found some tips that I missed before. Gotta get back to drawing a basic 8x8 house plan for the challenge. Oh, and I'm going to be using my own Wonder Child from way back: Coen Isola. We shall see I far I get this time ;)

Offline SleepIncarnate

• Nooboo
« Reply #231 on: June 25, 2020, 07:05:59 PM »
So, I'm wanting to do this challenge (especially since no one has created households for my Themyscira Castaway challenge yet), and I think I'll record and upload it when I do so.  The most updated version of it I've found is this one here.  The problem with this one is that while it is from not long ago, it doesn't include any of the jobs from Island Living, conservation or part time, plus not the freelance gigs.  And of course, not any of the new stuff from Eco Lifestyle.

Anyone have any suggestions for restrictions for those jobs?  Or want to suggest some strategies?  I'm debating if I want to do the single family or takes a village options, but definitely not the two birds version. 

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline Sonshine

• Heaven Bound
  • Watcher
« Reply #232 on: July 12, 2022, 02:32:23 AM »
I just started this and decided to start from scratch, aka no WC. Let's see if I can remember. I created my sim, Naomi Light who is a music lover, creative and cheerful. I moved her into an 8x8 basement bunker in Oasis Springs. In sims 3 apocalypse I used to roll for the careers so that's what I did this time also. I now it's harder, but I kind of like that. I numbered all of the careers that I am able to do (I don't have all of the expansions) and interestingly, the roll landed on the number for music! After I assign a career to a sim, I delete that career and renumber them. I made a boo boo though, and went over Johnny Zest's house to meet him since she lives across the street from him. Also interestingly, in spite of the fact that I have neighborhood stories turned off, the game gave Johnny a baby! When she and Johnny got married, the baby came with and I aged her up. I built a fire pit so she can roast fish. There are a couple of fishing spots near where they live. It was kind of frustrating at first though. She caught a couple of fish and then got the msg that the fish were "too crafty," so I had her go to the next spot and got one fish and got the same msg! She eventually leveled up and now she gets fish pretty regularly. I bought the "buyers beware" chest and stash the fish in it as she catches it. They don't have a whole lot of time to train Audrina b/c she has to fish all the time and he has to work (comedy). One tip I learned in sims 3 is to have the woman start her family first and then start her career. Once the child is past toddlerhood, they don't need anybody home to take care of them. She practices  her violin whenever she can. She has a nooboo on the way now. One question though, are we allowed to build another story onto the house? They're going to need the room.

Offline Sonshine

• Heaven Bound
  • Watcher
« Reply #233 on: July 17, 2022, 06:50:57 PM »
If anybody sees this, is it possible to top the comedian career w/o charisma? I keep having my sim talk and talk and talk, but he just is not getting any charisma from it. I can't have mirrors just yet and also, no skill books yet is why I'm asking.

Offline oshizu

• Watcher
    • oshizu's asylum
« Reply #234 on: July 17, 2022, 09:41:02 PM »
I doubt it, since the Comedy career requires Level 8 Charisma for its Level 9 or 10 promotion.
Your sim will learn Charisma faster if he's feeling Very Happy.
My sims actually gain Charisma faster by socializing with other sims than from a mirror, but using a mirror requires less management.

Offline Sonshine

• Heaven Bound
  • Watcher
« Reply #235 on: July 17, 2022, 10:29:37 PM »
He has done LOTS of socializing w/family, but that is all. Maybe next time I see a townie walking by I'll have him socialize to see if it makes any difference.

Offline Sonshine

• Heaven Bound
  • Watcher
« Reply #236 on: July 17, 2022, 10:37:01 PM »
OK, how do I make my sim go back to work? I moused over everything that i could see and there's no option for that. When the notice came up "should she skip work," I clicked "no." She still won't go though. Next time, I'll age them up *before they go to work!!!

Offline dovey

• Llama Wrangler
« Reply #237 on: July 31, 2022, 01:46:27 PM »
OK, how do I make my sim go back to work? I moused over everything that i could see and there's no option for that. When the notice came up "should she skip work," I clicked "no." She still won't go though. Next time, I'll age them up *before they go to work!!!

Hi! I had this glitch too. It freaked me out because of the Management restriction, and it said my sim was at work while she very obviously was still on the lot. I restarted my game and it seemed to do the trick, but that was a horrible glitch for Apocalypse.

Also I applaud you for doing this challenge with a base sim!

Offline Sonshine

• Heaven Bound
  • Watcher
« Reply #238 on: August 01, 2022, 01:13:43 AM »
Well, if  you look at my thread, it's basically a bust! I could NOT get anywhere romantically w/him; almost every single time, it always ended up in double negatives. so I  had to cheat it. One way or another,the rules would be broken b/c I had already moved him in and you can only move in one sim per generation. : /  UI believe the EA devs made romance WAY too hard now.

Offline dovey

• Llama Wrangler
« Reply #239 on: August 02, 2022, 10:04:02 PM »
Hi I was wondering anyone's experience w/ thermostats? I've put them with Tech Guru: Esports but seriously, not having a thermostat in winter affects my family more than I can imagine. They are much more prone to sickness (luckily I already unlocked Writer: Journalist) but still it's not just "put them in cold clothes and be done."

I also have a fireplace on the ground floor and a campfire in B2, but other than that I have to remember to change them into cold clothes constantly. I have 2 week seasons but I'm only halfway through, and I swear all of my 7 sims have gotten sick at least once.