Author Topic: The Apocalypse Challenge Support Thread  (Read 161280 times)

Offline Shewolf13

• Queen of the Dragons
  • Watcher
  • Wolf or Jessi is fine ^^
    • Wolfie's Writings
The Apocalypse Challenge Support Thread
« on: May 01, 2016, 05:17:37 PM »
Hello!  There are many many challenges for Sims out there.  Our very own forum here sports two Dynasty challenges that are amazing.  They each have their own tips and tricks thread for folks to share things they have found.  The Apocalypse Challenge was created by Pinstar, the same one that brought us the Legacy Challenge and the Wonder Child Challenge.

The thing with the Apocalypse Challenge is that there are sooo many ways to tackle it.  In fact, the challenge comes from figuring out how best to lift each restriction and to time things correctly.

This thread is for those who are looking to share tips, get hints, or just to discuss strategy for this awesome, maddening challenge!

Note: Hey mods ^^  Sorry if this is in the wrong place.  I wasn't sure if this was the proper place or if it should go where the player-made challenges are, but thought this would be better.  If not, sorry!  And thanks for moving it to the right spot!

Offline Shewolf13

• Queen of the Dragons
  • Watcher
    • Wolfie's Writings
Re: The Apocalypse Challenge Support Thread
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2016, 05:20:21 PM »
One of the things I've been looking at as I'm doing a Wonder Child Challenge with the express purpose of making a founder to tackle the AC, is that I think i can deal with not having a stove, etc for a while.  But having a TV and computer and whatnot will drive me batty.  So my founder is going to tackle the Tech Guru eSport Gamer.  Saying that, I plan on having the founder's spouse take on Oracle so that I can then import someone with Gourmet Cooking skill, probably the Gen 2 spouse.  That's how I plan on doing that, but it might change between now and then.  How about you?

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline JudesSims

• Sim Addict - and Proud of It!
  • Watcher
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2016, 05:25:47 PM »
Good idea for the Oracle. I never would have thought of that. I always start out with the Culinary expert. Hmm...ideas, ideas.

Offline Shewolf13

• Queen of the Dragons
  • Watcher
    • Wolfie's Writings
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2016, 06:14:11 PM »
Yeah, that's the problem, I have so many ideas! Lol

Offline oshizu

• Watcher
    • oshizu's asylum
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2016, 10:05:45 PM »
First of all, great idea to start this thread and somehow it's already stickied!!
It's kind of like an Apocalypse Anonymous club for the obsessed and addicted, lol.

About Oracle, I read a blog in which a simmer lifted Oracle with the founder then imported a WC with the Homestyle/Gourmet Cooking skills to move in as his spouse.
The story stopped after 2-3 chapters, though. PM me if you want the link.

I hesitate to unlock Oracle too early, though I do plan to clear it in perhaps Gen3 or Gen4 so I can import my WC's twin brother.
Another simmer, whose blog JudesSims also read, lost interest in the challenge after unlocking Oracle and Comedian (can move in more than one sim per generation) because it stopped being a challenge.
So there's that, too.

There's only so much planning that can be done without playing. I think working with different WCs and restarting a lot is part of how this challenge works. At least, that's how I'm seeing it.
There can be no first and only perfect run...imho.  I agree that there's a lot of ways to do it, which is why this thread is fun.

About the chef career, I could have lived without a stove yet I LOVE having a fridge!

Offline Shewolf13

• Queen of the Dragons
  • Watcher
    • Wolfie's Writings
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2016, 11:03:05 PM »
Yeah, but as we know, I'm a planning/documenting freak, so it's driving me a bit batty lol XD By the time I finish the challenge (if ever XD) I'm going to have sooo many planning sheets, it's ridiculous XD

Offline Caterina

• Occult
« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2016, 09:25:39 AM »
Hello...

My name is Caterina and I am an Acopalypse Challenge addict.

Note:  The Apocalypse Challenge seems so much harder in The Sims 4 then it was in The Sims 3.

I have a few tips:

Starting Neighborhood: 
     Do Not bulldoze all the lots in Windenburg near the Library and create Apocalypse homes for 7 of the 8 townie families, and then start your challenge on the 8th lot.  There are NO harvestables, collectibles, playground equipment, or public grills.  There are however public easels, chess tables, and a public bathroom.

Teenage Careers:
    Do clear the Retail teen job early.  This allows you to replace broken sinks and toilets whenever you can afford it.

Do Not clear the Fast Food teen job early thinking that you can live on pizza.  You are not allowed to use your phone for anything other than job related actions until the associated restriction is lifted.

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline JudesSims

• Watcher
« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2016, 09:27:52 AM »
That's good to know, Caterina! Thank you.

Offline Shewolf13

• Queen of the Dragons
  • Watcher
    • Wolfie's Writings
« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2016, 11:59:42 AM »
Thanks for the tips, Caterina!  And welcome to the club! lol XD  I haven't tried the challenge yet, and I'm already addicted!  I entirely blame @oshizu for this btw, :P hehehehe Just kidding

Offline oshizu

• Watcher
    • oshizu's asylum
« Reply #9 on: May 02, 2016, 01:03:25 PM »
Hello Caterina! Welcome to the club, erm, thread.

I also have a few tips right off the top of my head (since I'm at work, hehe)
I'd like to do something more detailed later, though, in a more organized fashion.

Do's
  Design your own Wonder Child after deciding on the careers of your founder and spouse in advance. Just picking a different spouse can vastly drop the difficulty.
  Check out the available Wonder Children available for download on the Gallery. I've already downloaded 3-4 I want to use so I can plan ahead for children's careers
       This one's great because you can do it away from the computer when you want to play but should be working (I'm looking at you, Wolfie, lol)
  Make sure your Wonder Child has maxed the useful skills. Because you start with the lowest-quality furnishings, Handiness is a must-have and can also be mentored.
  Buy the Buyers Beware or Ornate Beauty Storage Chest!!!!! You can store all fish, fresh or foul, in the chest. How did I not notice this until two days ago? It's awesome!
  Plan pregnancies on a 4+2 schedule to avoid being fired for missing work or missing breast-feedings.
               The "Eating for Two" notice comes 24 hrs after conception and delivery comes exactly 3 days (to the minute) after that (4 days total); the infant ages to a child exactly 2 days later at the same time.

Don'ts
   Don't place a grill in your house. Once you place a 1x2 grill in your home, it's stuck there until you clear Bodybuilder.
   Don't let your eyes stray from Family-Oriented sims when you have a baby. They will (try to) autonomously bottle-feed a crying baby.

I'll stop here before I start obsessing...too late!  :P

Offline oshizu

• Watcher
    • oshizu's asylum
« Reply #10 on: May 02, 2016, 01:12:10 PM »
I also have a few questions about the challenge.

Is workout equipment banned?  I hope not because it's Sunday in my game and I want to buy a treadmill. It's odd that yoga and massage are restricted by the Bodybuilder career but working out and workout equipment aren't mentioned.

Darn it, I can only remember one right now. I'll ask the rest later.

Offline JudesSims

• Watcher
« Reply #11 on: May 02, 2016, 01:12:51 PM »
I don't think so. I've been using a treadmill.

Offline oshizu

• Watcher
    • oshizu's asylum
« Reply #12 on: May 02, 2016, 03:29:45 PM »
I don't think so. I've been using a treadmill.
Thank you for replying. I couldn't find anything either, but there are so many details I keep missing. It's great having extra pairs of eyes!

Offline Shewolf13

• Queen of the Dragons
  • Watcher
    • Wolfie's Writings
« Reply #13 on: May 02, 2016, 04:10:48 PM »
I concur with Jude.  I can't find anything about it either, so I'd say you're good to go.

Offline boomboomraccoon

• Llama Wrangler
  • Boom works, so does Rowan!
« Reply #14 on: May 05, 2016, 09:29:21 PM »
Is there a restriction on repairing objects? I found the restrictions for upgrading and replacing but I'm not finding anything that says I can't repair it.