Author Topic: The @mention feature  (Read 2249 times)

Offline oshizu

• Watcher
    • oshizu's asylum
The @mention feature
« on: May 05, 2016, 06:26:58 PM »
For the past week or so, I've noticed that the number of mentions cited next to Profile [ ] often also includes posts that I've already read.

There was a period about 1.5 weeks ago when I had Profile [32] or a number somewhere in that range.
Today, when I logged in, I saw "Profile [3]"; when I clicked the links, however, all three of them were from yesterday.
I've been noticing this on my home computer, IPad, and work computer.

Question: Is there a quick and easy way to reset the value to zero?

Offline Deklitch

• Nemesis of Reality
  • Watcher
  • Iceland has over 50 words for snow!
Re: The @mention feature
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2016, 06:48:29 PM »
I've been noticing the same thing as @oshizu

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline MrsFlynn

• Admin Assistant
  • Administrator
  • Watcher
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2016, 06:52:03 PM »
To get rid of the number [2] up by the word profile try refresh the page, if that doesn't help try clearing the browser cache. How To: Clear Browser Cache The mentions message usually stay in the Mentions area for around a week then deleted.

** If clearing browser cache doesn't work either, trying using Ccleaner. -- PC / Mac (Standard Edition is Free)

-- This helps clean up temporary files, internet cache files and other files that are left behind that are no longer being used.

How to use CCleaner to fix PC issues

More information on the Mention/Tag System in the link below.
http://www.carls-sims-4-guide.com/forum/index.php?topic=23920.msg415587#msg415587
Welcome!! We hope you enjoy the forum!!  Thank you for visiting!!
–Need Help? Check our Member FAQs Here. * –Read and follow the Forum Rules, please! *

Offline oshizu

• Watcher
    • oshizu's asylum
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2016, 07:13:18 PM »
To get rid of the number [2] up by the word profile try refresh the page, if that doesn't help try clearing the browser cache. How To: Clear Browser Cache The mentions message usually stay in the Mentions area for around a week then deleted.
Thank you for replying!
I think you meant for the phrase "How to Clear Browser Cache" to function as a link, but it's not working. I did go the Mention Tag/System page and that same link worked fine there.
After I followed the instructions to delete my browser cache, nothing changed.

I should add that when I logged on this afternoon, I had "Profile [3]," the re-read two threads and it became "Profile [1]."  Clearing the Java cache is a little too time-consuming for where I'm at now.
Maybe I'll try that this weekend.

@Deklitch Good luck with your mentions.  (See? I just added one more for you, hehe)

Offline MrsFlynn

• Admin Assistant
  • Administrator
  • Watcher
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2016, 07:17:59 PM »
Actually I did edit that link to work. If that's not working for you, you may need to log out of the forum and then try clearing the browser.
–Need Help? Check our Member FAQs Here. * –Read and follow the Forum Rules, please! *

Offline oshizu

• Watcher
    • oshizu's asylum
« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2016, 07:19:21 PM »
Actually I did edit that link to work. If that's not working for you, you may need to log out of the forum and then try clearing the browser.
Ooh, it wasn't clickable when I first read your post but I see it's working now. Thank you!

Offline grimsoul

• Watcher
« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2016, 07:27:57 PM »
I've been having the same thing happen for a week or so. I'll log on and it'll show a number of mentions but when I check the mentions it'll be empty. Right now I'm showing having 3 mentions but it's empty.
I remember this happening once before but I don't recall what the problem was.
A clear conscience is usually a sign of a bad memory.

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline MrsFlynn

• Admin Assistant
  • Administrator
  • Watcher
« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2016, 08:12:42 PM »
Mentions have a task that runs every day at a set time. When mentions are seen, the system is supposed to remove the notification. The mod author most likely did it this way in order to conserve resources, since real-time removal would involve a lot of processing.

If you are having problems, please PM @Carl to see if he'll manually reset the system.

Offline Carl

• Webmaster
  • Administrator
  • Watcher
    • Carl's Sims 4 Guide
« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2016, 08:42:39 PM »
Thanks for bringing it to my attention. I'm wondering if it's me having had to restart the server so much, @grimsoul - they should clear up a bit in the next 24h, then taper off. I changed it from 1 week to 3 days. People who do not login by then can still click the email notification to be taken to where they were @ mentioned :)

Offline Carl

• Webmaster
  • Administrator
  • Watcher
    • Carl's Sims 4 Guide
« Reply #9 on: May 06, 2016, 11:11:11 AM »
My mentions have cleared this morning like they're supposed to. Hope it's the same for everyone else!

Offline oshizu

• Watcher
    • oshizu's asylum
« Reply #10 on: May 06, 2016, 11:56:48 AM »
My mentions have cleared this morning like they're supposed to. Hope it's the same for everyone else!
I noticed this morning that mine are working correctly, too, with mentions only linking to posts that mentioned me.

Carl, you are ever so wonderful! Thank you!

Offline grimsoul

• Watcher
« Reply #11 on: May 06, 2016, 01:18:02 PM »
Mine are cleared also. Looks like it's back to normal. Thanks Carl.
A clear conscience is usually a sign of a bad memory.

Offline Carl

• Webmaster
  • Administrator
  • Watcher
    • Carl's Sims 4 Guide
« Reply #12 on: January 06, 2017, 08:50:49 PM »
So that everyone is aware, each time you use the mention system an email is sent out. This hasn't caused any problems on volume per se, but people may not want to use it as frequently as they would on, say, facebook. This is mainly because if you mentioned the same person multiple times in a day, they'd get a notice on their phone or a separate email for each occurrence. If responding directly to a person, answering a question, or something to that effect it's more useful and less spammy. I'm mainly mentioning this so that people are aware of that. If you're helping someone or you know they would want to see your reply it's a more appropriate time to use it :)

Offline Carl

• Webmaster
  • Administrator
  • Watcher
    • Carl's Sims 4 Guide
« Reply #13 on: January 07, 2017, 03:49:04 PM »
MrsFlynn has a post in the forum guide that details most of what I've had to say about the mentions system, how it works and how to disable email notifications in case people need it :)

anything