Author Topic: BallerinaHippo's Sharebear Legacy: My Generation (Nov 3)  (Read 13659 times)

Offline Joria

• Top Secret
  • Watcher
Re: BallerinaHippo's Sharebear Legacy: Birthdays and Such (May 26)
« Reply #225 on: May 27, 2019, 02:43:41 AM »
Wow!!  Ok, spent the ENTIRE day reading and re-reading, (the first half) of this story.  How on earth do you do it?  I would totally freak out over so much to do, so many kids, and so darned much to keep track of.  And the timeline is perfect!!  I love all the costumes, (and about to ask you where I can get some of them as the costumes and the typewrite are perfection), and how you've incorporated so many different types of people.  I'm not too fond of butlers, nannies, etc. but I think I may have to give them a try.  Of course, for me vampires are strictly verboten.  I don't do evil things and they are just too evil to men and in their dark stage are too freaky/ugly.  Nightmares  STILL happening from when I watched "Sauron" play the vampire when I was sixteen.  Really.  My room literally was decorated in garlic for months and I never go anywhere without my crucifix.  Ok, so yours were adorable and the way they decided to die was perfection.  Not what I would have chosen, (don't believe in killing off people, ever, for any reason), but for them it was strangely right.  And how do we find enough words to talk about all the adorable toddlers?  I find parenting in Sims almost as challenging as it was, (still is), in rl.  You were always busy, busy, or they suffered.  Thank heaven for Mr. Data to step in from time to time, not to mention the creepy nanny.  You have my utmost respect and tons of kudos for this story and the job you are doing.  Again I say....WOW!
What?  Grannies can't play games?
I speak perfect Nooblik, (and some Simlish)!

----------
With A Twist, an Immortal Dynasty
My No Buy Story
Joria's Creations on the Gallery

Offline BallerinaHippo

• Immortal
Re: BallerinaHippo's Sharebear Legacy: A Quiet Affair (May 28)
« Reply #226 on: May 28, 2019, 10:53:00 PM »
Wow!!  Ok, spent the ENTIRE day reading and re-reading, (the first half) of this story.  How on earth do you do it?  I would totally freak out over so much to do, so many kids, and so darned much to keep track of.  And the timeline is perfect!!  I love all the costumes, (and about to ask you where I can get some of them as the costumes and the typewrite are perfection), and how you've incorporated so many different types of people.  I'm not too fond of butlers, nannies, etc. but I think I may have to give them a try.  Of course, for me vampires are strictly verboten.  I don't do evil things and they are just too evil to men and in their dark stage are too freaky/ugly.  Nightmares  STILL happening from when I watched "Sauron" play the vampire when I was sixteen.  Really.  My room literally was decorated in garlic for months and I never go anywhere without my crucifix.  Ok, so yours were adorable and the way they decided to die was perfection.  Not what I would have chosen, (don't believe in killing off people, ever, for any reason), but for them it was strangely right.  And how do we find enough words to talk about all the adorable toddlers?  I find parenting in Sims almost as challenging as it was, (still is), in rl.  You were always busy, busy, or they suffered.  Thank heaven for Mr. Data to step in from time to time, not to mention the creepy nanny.  You have my utmost respect and tons of kudos for this story and the job you are doing.  Again I say....WOW!

Thank you! Your sweet comments made my whole day, maybe even my week.  Knowing that people are reading this silly little story and enjoying it makes it totally worth the effort of writing it up.

I'm glad you didn't find my vampires to be too horrible.  Somehow, I don't mind the Sims version, but I can understand how they are not for everyone.  My daughter plays the Sims on my computer sometimes and she refuses to use the vampires, so I get it.  One of the things I like about the legacy challenge is that it makes me try things that I might not otherwise do.

Oh, and the typewriter!  That's the first cc I ever downloaded and now I use it in all my save files, not just the historical ones.  I found it at modthesims and it's by Esmeralda.

A Quiet Affair (Clara’s conversations with her mom)

Clara:  Hi Mom.  I have some big news and I wanted you to be the first to hear it.
52.1 Clara begin.jpg

Magnus and I are engaged!  Maybe that’s not a huge surprise since Magnus is practically the only man I’ve ever been interested in.
52.2 Clara Magnus.jpg

I say ‘practically’ because there was one other guy…a long time ago…did I ever tell you about the mailman?  Now, before you go rolling over in your grave, let me assure you that nothing happened.   I just went out to get the mail one day and I noticed that we had a new mailman.  A cute mailman.  And I kind of got carried away and used a flirty introduction.
52.3 mailman.jpg

The next day, the mailman came by the house and that’s when I learned his traits.  Dog-lover, genius, and evil.
52.4 Mailman visit.jpg

He was actually an evil genius!  And you know I’ve got the ‘good’ trait so I tried to discuss world peace with him and…let’s just say it didn’t end well. 
52.5 differences.jpg

It was a very short-lived infatuation.
52.6 evil leaves.jpg

Anyway, that all happened ages ago, before Magnus and I got together.  For the longest time, I only saw Magnus when he came over for Maja’s parties.  Sometimes our conversations would get a little flirty, but that was about it.
52.7 parties.jpg

Until one night when Magnus stayed to help clean up after a party.  We talked for hours, and I finally worked up the courage to tell him that I liked him. 
52.8 flirting.jpg

We’ve been together ever since.
52.9 first kiss.jpg

We’ve been talking about marriage for a while now, but I wanted to reach the top of my career first.  Well, Mom, I finally did it-- I was inducted into the Hall of Fame!
52.10 Clara promo.jpg

Magnus has always been very supportive of my career.  That reminds me, I took him to the old county fairgrounds once and he bravely agreed to try ice skating.  It was adorable.
52.11 Magnus skate.jpg

Anyway…where was I?  Oh yeah…so, Magnus and I agreed that we wouldn’t get married until we could actually live together in the same house.  I saw what happened with Uncle Linden and Aunt Diya, and that’s not what I want for myself.  I want what Aunt Laurel and Uncle Jax had—and you and Ali, and Darwin and Maja.

Speaking of which…Darwin and Maja have the cutest little family.  Basil is a child now, and Hazel is a toddler.
52.12 Darwin kids.jpg

And they have a third child, Kale, who just started toddling about.
52.13 Kale.jpg

Of course, Aunt Laurel dotes on her grandkids.  Just the other day, she was out here pushing Basil on the swing.
52.14 Basil swing.jpg

And she loves it when Hazel asks for a story.
52.15 Hazel read.jpg

Sometimes Basil makes the funniest faces at dinner.  Maja tells him to stop, but Aunt Laurel just laughs and eggs him on.
52.16 Basil faces.jpg

Well, I think that’s all the news I have for now.  Oh wait!  There is one more thing.  The new cowplant is all grown up.  Darwin named her Buttercup.  So we have a Bluebell and a Buttercup.
52.17 new cowplant.jpg

A few months later…

Clara:  Well, Mom, it’s official.  I’m a married woman!  Yeah, I know it was a short engagement.  But remember, we dated for a long time.
52.18 Clara talks.jpg

Maja, of course, offered to pull out all the stops and throw us a big wedding.  Magnus and I, however, preferred that it be a quiet affair.  We would have been perfectly happy to elope, but Maja insisted that we at least put up the wedding arch.
52.19 wedding.jpg

We decided to live with Juliet and Journey McClure.  Uncle Linden offered to let us move in with him and his girls, but we’d like to have a family of our own and we thought Uncle Linden’s place might be too crowded.  Plus, the McClure house is right next door and we wanted to stay close to Darwin and Maja…and you.

Cousin Darwin and Maja were our first visitors.  They brought us the best wedding and housewarming gift.  Darwin has taken up photography—I don’t know how he has time for all these hobbies—and he took some pictures at our wedding.  He had one of the photographs framed and gave it to us.  To say that I love it would be an understatement.
52.20 gift.jpg

And now, Mom, I have some sad news.  Well, it’s sad for us, anyway.  I was here for a club meeting, and Aunt Laurel and I were painting and she…collapsed.  Just like that.  I felt so helpless because there was nothing I could do.
52.21 Laurel death.jpg

As much as it hurts to lose Aunt Laurel, it's comforting to know that she’s with Uncle Jax again…and also with you.  At least, I hope you are all together somewhere.  Darwin got some old family scrapbooks out and it was nice to look back and reminisce.  And Darwin told me some things about Aunt Laurel that I didn’t know…like the fact that she completed the Outdoor Enthusiast aspiration and that there were no seasons until just before she became the heir.
52.22 Laurel collage.jpg

I went with Darwin to help clean out the old Three Behrs Bakery.  Uncle Linden didn’t want to try to run it by himself.  Darwin sold the place to a young family that plans to convert it back into a house.  We split the proceeds three ways—between Uncle Linden, Darwin, and me. 
52.23 clean store.jpg

Maja still sells jars of the family honey, just like Aunt Laurel did, but the business is strictly by mail-order now.
52.24 Maja works.jpg

Oh, and there’s one more thing I have to tell you, Mom.  Magnus and I are expecting!  We’re kind of hoping for twins, but we’ll be happy no matter what. 
52.25 Clara expecting.jpg

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Online sdhoey

• Challenge Board Assistant
  • Global Moderator
  • Watcher
    • sdhoeys Sims & More
« Reply #227 on: May 28, 2019, 11:03:06 PM »
wow This made me tear up. What a wonderful update, Sad up wonderful.

Offline Deme

• Immortal
« Reply #228 on: May 30, 2019, 09:22:55 AM »
What a fine, gentle sort of chapter to mark the passage of time. (Honestly, given the start and the title, I had initially somewhat different expectations.) It's sad to see sims go.
Stories In Progress:
The Avyan Immortal Dynasty

Offline Joria

• Top Secret
  • Watcher
« Reply #229 on: May 30, 2019, 06:52:55 PM »
Who me crying?  (reaches for tissues)  It's just I had something in my eye.  Perfect chapter, just perfect.

----------
My No Buy Story

Offline reggikko

• Immortal
« Reply #230 on: June 03, 2019, 12:16:44 AM »
I’m all caught up. I’ve spent the last few days reading and it’s just a delight. You’ve really captured the time frames beautifully. At first, it was all very Edith Wharton (but less tragic) and now it’s like a much tamer Fitzgerald, but with likeable characters! ;-)

Do you read much fiction from the 19th or early 20th century? I feel like you must because this is just all so perfect.

Offline kattiq

• Watcher
  • Oh feebee lay!
« Reply #231 on: June 03, 2019, 02:40:59 PM »
 @BallerinaHippo  I'm new to the entire "Sharebear Legacy" but yours is super cute! I really love how you write up the stories of your sims, and the overall themes. I'll be looking forward to more updates.:)
So happy for Clara & Magnus! *wishes for twin nooboos*

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline BallerinaHippo

• Immortal
« Reply #232 on: June 05, 2019, 02:20:06 PM »
wow This made me tear up. What a wonderful update, Sad up wonderful.
Aww, thanks!  *hands a tissue*  And I may have to borrow the phrase "sad up wonderful."  Love that.

What a fine, gentle sort of chapter to mark the passage of time. (Honestly, given the start and the title, I had initially somewhat different expectations.) It's sad to see sims go.
Thanks! For this update, it felt like I had a lot of unrelated screenshots, so Clara ended up being the means to tie them all together.  I'm glad it sorta worked.

Who me crying?  (reaches for tissues)  It's just I had something in my eye.  Perfect chapter, just perfect.
Thanks bunches!  I hope you got that thing out of your eye.  If not, I'll find you another tissue.

I’m all caught up. I’ve spent the last few days reading and it’s just a delight. You’ve really captured the time frames beautifully. At first, it was all very Edith Wharton (but less tragic) and now it’s like a much tamer Fitzgerald, but with likeable characters! ;-)
Do you read much fiction from the 19th or early 20th century? I feel like you must because this is just all so perfect.
Wow!  I'm sure I don't deserve either of those associations, but if my little story even remotely evokes those time periods for you, I take that as the hugest compliment. 

Jane Austen is one of my favorites (probably not a big surprise), but your comment reminded me that it's been awhile since I've read Edith Wharton.  I read Ethan Frome in high school and it was so depressing that I didn't read any of her other works until much later.  Thanks for giving me an idea of what to add to my summer reading list.  ;)

@BallerinaHippo  I'm new to the entire "Sharebear Legacy" but yours is super cute! I really love how you write up the stories of your sims, and the overall themes. I'll be looking forward to more updates.:)
So happy for Clara & Magnus! *wishes for twin nooboos*
Thanks!  I'm glad you discovered the Sharebears.  I just started reading your Not So Berry Legacy, and I think it's great!

I've just returned from chaperoning a school trip in real life so I'm a little bit tired and slightly jet-lagged.  Unfortunately, I don't have an update ready for today, but I wanted to respond to all these nice comments.   :) :) :)

Offline BallerinaHippo

• Immortal
Re: BallerinaHippo's Sharebear Legacy: Family Holiday (June 15)
« Reply #233 on: June 15, 2019, 01:31:29 PM »
Family Holiday

Darwin:  Is that the last rare mysims trophy that we need to complete our collection? *stares directly at Violet*
Maja: *whispers* Buy it quick. And try to act casual.  We don’t want the vendor to raise the price.
53.1 Flea market.jpg

53.2 Mysims.jpg

Darwin:  Hello Uncle Fig!  Are you here to meet Magnus and Clara’s nooboo, too? 
Fig:  *grumbles* Everyone assumes rain doesn’t bother ghosts.  It just goes through you, they say.  But that’s exactly the problem!  It’s very uncomfortable to have raindrops go through you.
Darwin:  I’m sorry, Uncle Fig.  Why don’t you come inside with me? 
53.3 Fig in rain.jpg

Maja:  Your son is adorable!
Magnus:  Thanks, sis. 
Maja:  Where did you get this cute bassinet?
Magnus:  It was a gift from Germany.*
53.4 Clara baby.jpg

*oops!  I was using this cc for the Tech Dynasty. It is a default replacement for the regular bassinet. It is actually from Germany. 

Back at the Legacy house…

Maja:  Happy Birthday Hazel!
53.5 Hazel birthday.jpg

Darwin: What is Hazel’s childhood trait?
Maja: She’s a genius, like you.
Darwin:  That’s great!  And it means we still don’t know who the heir will be.
53.6 Hazel school.jpg

Maja: Remember when we used to throw parties every night?  Now we just use the ballroom to make school projects.
Darwin: Yeah, and we used to take trips to Selvadorada, but I’ve had to put my Jungle Explorer aspiration on hold for a while.  I don’t mind, though.
53.7 Ballroom projects.jpg

Several days of skilling and character development follow…

53.8 skills.jpg

Maja: Okay, kids, let’s finish up Social Butterfly.  Then, you can play.
53.9 park.jpg

Maja: Remember, Hazel, you need to make friends with two adults.
53.10 Hazel meets.jpg

Maja: And Basil, you just need to befriend one more child.
Basil: Done!
53.11 Basil meet Sadie.jpg

Hazel:  Where is Kale?  Why didn’t he come to the park with us?
Maja:  I left Kale at home with the nanny this time.  I’m sure he’s fine.
53.12 Kale mess.jpg

A few days later…

Everyone: *singing* Happy birthday dear Ka-le.  Happy birthday to youuuu.
53.13 Kale birthday.jpg

Maja: And Kale’s childhood trait is…?
Darwin:  Loner.  Which is a bit of a surprise.  Luckily, he only gets tense around strangers.  Family and friends-- even ghosts-- are okay.
53.14 Kale swings.jpg

Darwin: Kale isn’t the only one who had a birthday today.  Our nephew, Pelham, aged-up to a toddler.
Maja:  Look at all four cousins playing together!
53.15 cousins.jpg

Maja: Darling, I was thinking…the kids have a few days off from school, and we’ve got some time before Basil becomes a teen.  Why don’t we take a family vacation?
Darwin:  That sounds great!  Where should we go?
Maja:  You still need to finish the Jungle Explorer aspiration.  Let’s go to Selvadorada.
Darwin:  I’d love to go there, but can we take the kids to the jungle?
Maja:  I don't see why not. We can rent the Villa. It has a children’s bedroom and toys.
53.16 Lets go.jpg

Maja: This is it kids!  What do you think of Selvadorada?
Hazel:  I love it, Mommy!
Darwin:  Everyone get a good night’s sleep.  We want to get an early start in the morning.
53.17 Arrival.jpg

Maja:  Be sure to eat a good breakfast.  It’s going to be a long day, and we can’t rally the troops like we do at home.
53.18 breakfast.jpg

Darwin:  I need to buy a few supplies before we head into the jungle.  If anyone needs to use the restroom, now would be a good time.
53.19 marketplace.jpg

Maja: Is everyone ready to explore the jungle?
Basil:  I need to go to the bathroom…
Kale:  Me too!
Darwin:  Didn’t I tell them to go back at the marketplace?
53.20 trailhead.jpg

Kale: Race you across the bridge!
Basil: This is fun!
Hazel:  Wait for me!
53.21 bridge.jpg

Several hours later…

Darwin: Just one more treasure chest and I’ll have this aspiration beat.
Maja: That’s wonderful, darling.
Darwin:  Where did the kids go?
Maja: They were getting tired so I sent them back to the Villa.
53.22 temple.jpg

Darwin:  Ooof!  I forgot how heavy these things are!
53.23 Darwin aspiration.jpg

Hess:  Did you enjoy your first vacation Hazel?
Hazel: Yes!  I wish we could have stayed longer, but Mommy said we had to come home for Basil’s birthday.
53.24 Hazel Hess.jpg

Next up: Basil and then Hazel become teens.  A new family (with kids!) moves to Brindleton Bay.

Offline Joria

• Top Secret
  • Watcher
Re: BallerinaHippo's Sharebear Legacy: Family Holiday (June 15)
« Reply #234 on: June 15, 2019, 06:57:14 PM »
You know, I am really enjoying this story, but.....OH DEAR HEAVENS THE COSTUMES!!!  I know it's not all CC but oh how I would love those twenties clothes.  They looked just perfect for the era.  I loved the idea of bringing the kids along.  I don't think I would be that brave.  They sure seemed to be enjoying it.  And how perfect, had to use the bathroom AFTER they'd been told to do it back in town.  Typical of kids.  Loved it. (memories of having to find a restroom in a grocery store comes to mind while a little one does the potty dance).  You've got it down to a T!

----------
My No Buy Story

Offline BallerinaHippo

• Immortal
Re: BallerinaHippo's Sharebear Legacy: Spirit Day (June 22)
« Reply #235 on: June 22, 2019, 12:16:35 PM »
You know, I am really enjoying this story, but.....OH DEAR HEAVENS THE COSTUMES!!!  I know it's not all CC but oh how I would love those twenties clothes.  They looked just perfect for the era.  I loved the idea of bringing the kids along.  I don't think I would be that brave.  They sure seemed to be enjoying it.  And how perfect, had to use the bathroom AFTER they'd been told to do it back in town.  Typical of kids.  Loved it. (memories of having to find a restroom in a grocery store comes to mind while a little one does the potty dance).  You've got it down to a T!
Thanks!  At first, I wasn't quite sure how to dress everyone for the jungle but eventually came up with something I liked that seemed appropriate.  And much of it, as you said, isn't cc.

The potty thing with the kids...well, I drew from real-life experience there.  Haha!

Spirit Day

Maja:  Thanks for coming home early, darling.  Basil is eager to blow out his candles before it gets late.
Darwin:  It’s not a problem.  As Chief of Staff, I can afford to come home early every now and then.
54.1 Darwin home.jpg

Maja:  Make a wish Basil!
54.2 Basil cake.jpg

Darwin:  Where did the birthday boy go?  He didn’t even take a piece of cake.
Maja:  He wasn’t happy with his ‘look’ and ran off to the closet.
Darwin:  Teenagers. 
54.3 parents talk.jpg

Darwin: While we wait for him to come back, tell me about your day.
Maja: It was great!  The kids and I went to the park so they could work on their Outdoor Adventurer scout badges.  And while we were there, I made a new friend!  Her name is Avery Van Hart.
54.4 meet Avery.jpg

Darwin:  Van Hart?  I met a young girl by that name at the hospital the other day.  Zoe, I think it was.
Maja:  That must be one of her kids.  She and her husband have three—a teen and two children.
54.5 Darwin work.jpg

Darwin:  Nice to see you’ve come out of your room, son.
Basil:  Sorry to run off like that, Dad, but it was a hair emergency.
Darwin:  It’s okay, I understand.  So, tell me, what new trait and aspiration did you get?
Basil:  Insider, like Mom, for the trait.  And I’d like to be a joke star.
Darwin:  Those are both good!  Joke star hasn’t been done, and you could be a comedian.
Basil:  Yeah, I’m pretty excited about it.  I can’t wait to write some comedy routines.  Which are funnier—duck jokes or monkey jokes?
Darwin:  I’ve always liked a good vampire pun, myself. 
54.6 Basil joke star.jpg

Maja:  Isn’t it nice to have a proper family dinner?  Basil, I like what you did with your hair.  I’m glad you were able to fix it.
Basil:  Thanks Mom!  *turns to Darwin*  Dad, now that I’m a teen, do you think I could have my own room?  A guy needs space, you know.
Darwin:  I’ll see what I can do.
54.7 family dinner.jpg

A few days later…

Basil:  Not that I mind, but how is it possible that you’ve earned more scout badges than me, Hazel?  What’s your secret?
Hazel:  There’s no secret.  I’ve just picked up all my badges and you haven’t checked your board lately.
54.8 scouts.jpg

Basil:  Gosh, Hazel is right!  I’m a Llamacorn Scout and I didn’t even know it!
54.9 Basil scouts.jpg

Avery:  It’s nice to meet you, Clara.  Maja has told me so much about you.
Clara:  Likewise.  We should get together like this more often.
54.10 moms talk.jpg

Avery:  Is that your toddler over there?  He’s a cute one.
Clara:  Thank you.  That’s Pelham. 
Avery:  My girl Zoe seems interested in whatever he’s saying.
Clara:  He’s a charmer, alright.
54.11 kids.jpg

The first day of Fall, which also happens to be Spirit Day—one of our Legacy Holidays—as well as Hazel’s teen birthday:

Basil: I thought Spirit Day was supposed to be a fun holiday, Dad.  Why is everyone crying?
Darwin:  The first Spirit Day tradition is Remembrance in honor of our founder, Shari Behr, my great-grandmother and your great-great grandmother. 
54.12 spirit day.jpg

Darwin: After that’s out of the way, we can get to the more fun traditions, like the Grand Meal in honor of our third heir, my mother, who was a master chef.  Oh, and we’re very happy that two of the Van Hart children could join us to celebrate Spirit Day and Hazel’s birthday.  Hazel, that’s Ross sitting on your left.
Hazel and Ross: *too shy to speak*
54.13 Grand meal.jpg

Basil:  Sul sul!  You must be Sadie Van Hart.
Sadie: Pleased to meet you.
54.14 Sadie Basil meet.jpg

Ross: *suddenly stands up, spins, and sparkles*
Maja: Well that was unexpected!  Happy birthday Ross!
54.15 Ross age up.jpg

Darwin:  Well, Hazel, it’s your turn.  Make a wish!
54.16 Hazel teen.jpg

Hazel: *suddenly hysterical* Hahahahahaha…
Maja:  Hazel!  Run to the bathroom and calm down.  Run!
54.17 hysteria.jpg

Darwin:  You gave us a scare there, babygirl.  Are you feeling better?
Hazel: Yes, thank you.  And I went ahead and gave myself a makeover while I was in front of the mirror.
Darwin:  You look nice.  May I ask the important questions—trait and aspiration?
54.18 Hazel traits.jpg
Hazel:  Cat lover and Musical Genius.  Is that okay?
Darwin:  Sure!  Anything you got would be okay.  Musical Genius has been done, of course, but that leaves you wide open as far as choosing a career.
Hazel:  So…when can I get a cat?
Darwin: When you earn an A in high school.
Hazel:  That’s fair.

A few minutes later…

Ross:  Hey there, kitten.  Do you come here often?
Hazel: Umm…I’m not sure we know each other well enough for you to call me that.  And I live here, remember?  That’s my parents’ closet you just used for a makeover.
Ross:  She was pretty.  As pretty as a picture and not at all flat.
54.19 Hazel Ross 1.jpg

Hazel: *giggles* I think that was a compliment.  But why are you talking in third person?  Did you mean to say that out loud?
Ross:  She was also sharp.  As sharp as a cat’s claws on your favorite easy chair, and I--
Hazel: --wait.  Do you have a cat?  Are you a cat-lover, too?
54.20 Hazel Ross 2.jpg

Ross:  She was grilling me like a sims’ favorite sandwich and I was the melted cheese.
Hazel:  You’re a funny one.  I have to go, now.  My parents are throwing a Spooky Party to wrap up the holiday.  I’ll see you around, Ross.
54.21 Hazel Ross 3.jpg

Downstairs…

Darwin:  We have one other tradition for Spirit Day.  It’s ‘spooky spirit’ in honor of my grandfather Aster, the vampire.  We can interact with ghosts, tell spooky stories, or carve pumpkins.
Basil:  Great!  I’m going to carve a puking pumpkin.  That gag never gets old.
Hazel:  I’ll try to carve a cat pumpkin. 
Darwin: And I’ll do a ghost.
54.22 Spooky party.jpg

Sadie:  Do you see that?  The pumpkin…it’s...it’s…floating!
Basil:  Just one of our family ghosts messing around, that’s all.
54.23 Sadie startle.jpg

Sadie:  You have family g-g-ghosts?
Basil:  ‘Course we do!  But don’t worry, we only have friendly ghosts.  None of them are mean-spirited.  Get it?
54.24 Basil smile.jpg

Maja:  Hazel?  Your brother and your father finished their pumpkins ages ago.  What’s taking you so long?
Hazel:  This is harder than it looks!
54.25 Hazel carves.jpg

Notes:  Darwin’s generation is meant to represent the 1920s/30s.  The next generation will be the 1940s/50s, so the kids get makeovers for that time period as they age to teens.

The kids and their traits/aspirations:
Basil- teen- Outgoing, insider/ Joke Star
Hazel- teen- Genius, cat-lover/ Musical Genius
Kale- child- Loner/ 3 of 4 childhood aspirations done

Offline reggikko

• Immortal
« Reply #236 on: June 22, 2019, 03:09:03 PM »
Is Ross channeling Ross Macdonald?

Offline BallerinaHippo

• Immortal
« Reply #237 on: June 22, 2019, 05:43:19 PM »
I gotta admit, I had to look up Ross Macdonald (I'm not super familiar with crime fiction) but I can totally see how you made that connection.  It's just a coincidence, though.   :)

I have two basic associations with the 1940s/50s and those are:
1. Hollywood classic film noir
2. Rigid gender stereotypes

So that's where I was going with Ross.  His family was generated by my game when the kids were doing Social Butterfly-- I didn't pick his name or anything-- which makes the coincidence even more amazing. 

Offline reggikko

• Immortal
« Reply #238 on: June 22, 2019, 06:27:02 PM »
I gotta admit, I had to look up Ross Macdonald (I'm not super familiar with crime fiction) but I can totally see how you made that connection.  It's just a coincidence, though.   :)

I have two basic associations with the 1940s/50s and those are:
1. Hollywood classic film noir
2. Rigid gender stereotypes

So that's where I was going with Ross.  His family was generated by my game when the kids were doing Social Butterfly-- I didn't pick his name or anything-- which makes the coincidence even more amazing. 

HAHA. It sounded like a hard-boiled novel, so I guess I wasn't too far off from classic film noir! I admit I've never read Macdonald, but I've read enough Raymond Chandler that I know the tropes.

Offline BallerinaHippo

• Immortal
« Reply #239 on: June 30, 2019, 11:38:38 AM »
HAHA. It sounded like a hard-boiled novel, so I guess I wasn't too far off from classic film noir! I admit I've never read Macdonald, but I've read enough Raymond Chandler that I know the tropes.
Definitely the same basic idea!

Offline BallerinaHippo

• Immortal
Re: BallerinaHippo's Sharebear Legacy: The Teen Scene (June 30)
« Reply #240 on: June 30, 2019, 12:10:25 PM »
The Teen Scene

Maja:  Do you think it’s okay to let our teenage son perform comedy in a lounge?
Darwin:  The best way to learn is in front of a live audience.  And besides, the Club Calico is pretty tame.
55.2 Basil perform.jpg

The next day…

Hazel:  Thanks for walking me home from school, Ross.
Ross:  The pleasure is all mine.  Whaddya say we split some pins at the bowling alley tonight?
Hazel:  Well, I have to finish my homework and a school project first.  And I have to be home by 10 because it’s a school night.
Ross:  She drives a hard bargain.  But for a dame like her, I’d jump through more hoops than a poodle in a three-ring circus.
Hazel: I don’t know how we got from homework to poodles, but you can pick me up at 7.   
55.3 Ross Hazel.jpg

Later…

Basil: Hey Sadie!  Are you ready to bowl over the competition?
Sadie:  Haha!  We’ll spare them no mercy!
55.4 outside bowling alley.jpg

Ross: Glad you could make it, kitten.
Hazel: I’m still not sure if you can call me that, but I’m starting to warm up to the idea.
55.5 suave kiss.jpg

Basil:  Ladies first, Sadie!
Sadie:  Uh…okay.  How’s this?
55.6 Sadie bowls.jpg

Hazel:  Why is the floor so slick?
55.7 Hazel bowls.jpg

Ross:  Oh yeah.  I got the moves.
55.8 Ross showoff.jpg

Basil:  It’s all in the wrist.
55.9 Basil bowls.jpg

Ross: *whistles* That’s smokin’.
Basil:  Hey, that’s my sister!
Ross: I meant the ball.
Basil: Oh, right.  Good job sis!
55.10 Hazel flames.jpg

Basil: Strike!
55.11 Basil strike.jpg

Sadie:  I didn’t know you were so good at bowling, Basil. 
Basil: I’ve never played before.  It must be beginner’s luck.
55.12 Basil wins.jpg

Another day…

Maja:  It’s so nice to see you kids doing your homework together. 
Hazel:  We formed a club to make it go faster.
Maja:  What a good idea! 
Basil:  When we’re done, can we go to the humor and hijinks festival?
55.13 homework club.jpg

At the festival…

Sadie:  What’s up Hazel?  Are you going to join the jokesters with me and Basil?
Hazel:  I’m sorry, Sadie.  Ross and I already joined the pranksters.
55.14 Sadie Hazel talk.jpg

Sadie:  Looks like it’s just you and me on the jokesters.
Basil:  That’s alright.  I know a lot of knock, knock jokes.
Sadie:  Okay, you start.
Basil:  Knock knock.
Sadie:  Who’s there?
Basil: A little old lady.
Sadie: A little old lady who?
Basil: I didn’t know you could yodel.
55.15 Basil and Sadie.jpg

Linden:  So…you must be Ross.  I’ve heard about you.  Unique traits—so far—but we’ll have to wait and see about the third one.
Ross:  Sir?
Linden:  I’m Linden.  Hazel’s great-uncle.  I have a few questions, if you don’t mind.  Starting with, what are your plans for the future?  What kind of useful employment do you see yourself pursuing?  And keep in mind that in a legacy family you are expected to reach the top of at least one career.
Ross:  It’s a dirty job, but someone’s gotta do it.
Linden:  Huh?  What’s a dirty job?  Politics? Gardening?
Ross:  To protect and serve, clean up the streets, crack the tough cases…
Linden:  Oh! The detective career!  Why didn’t you just say so in the first place?   
55.16 Linden grills Ross.jpg

Hazel:  I don’t know what you said to my Uncle Linden, but he seems to like you.  You weren’t spinning yarns were you?
Ross:  Just the facts, ma’am.  Just the facts.
55.17 Hazel Ross festival.jpg

Hazel:  Good.   Because I’ve decided that you and I are going steady.
55.18 first kiss.jpg

Several days later…

Darwin:  Are you ready for our double birthday Kale?
Kale:  Yeah Dad!  Mom said we could celebrate at Club Calico!
55.19 Darwin hug Kale.jpg

Maja:  Wow, I didn’t expect it to be so crowded tonight.
Darwin:  I’ll go grab a few tables for our group.
55.20 crowd.jpg

Ross:  Hey, kitten!  Where you been hidin’ those knock-out cat glasses?
Hazel:  This is my new party outfit.  Do you like it?
Ross:  I try to play it cool, but she’s hotter than a fur coat on the fourth of July.
Hazel:  You switched to third person again, so I’ll take that as a ‘yes.’
55.21 Hazel party.jpg

Maja:  Happy Birthday Darwin!
Hazel: *singing loudly* Happy birthday to youuuuuuu.
55.22 Hazel sings.jpg

Basil:  It’s your turn, Kale. Make a wish!
55.23 Kale cake.jpg

Back at home…

Darwin:  Did you enjoy the birthday party, Kale?
Kale:  Sure.  But I still don’t like being around strangers.
Darwin:  Can you tell us your new trait and aspiration?
Kale: Neat and Renaissance Sim.
55.24 Kale teen.jpg

Maja:  All our kids are teens and we still don’t know which one is the heir.
Darwin:  We’ll know soon enough.  The next round of birthdays will decide it.
55.25 portraits.jpg

Next time:  We’ll find an heir and give the kitchen a 1940s/50s makeover.

Offline kattiq

• Watcher
  • Oh feebee lay!
« Reply #241 on: June 30, 2019, 06:13:07 PM »
Those bowling puns thoughhhh! Hilarious. I keep forgetting that there's a bowling alley- it was one of the last packs I had gotten when they all went on sale.
Looking forward to seeing the heir & the kitchen makeover

Offline PeregrineTook

• Watcher
  • aka Pippin, the Most Tenacious Simmer
« Reply #242 on: July 03, 2019, 01:07:40 PM »
Putting my heir vote for kitten...I mean...Hazel  ;=)  Love the banter between her and Ross.  You do a great job of writing in your eras.  Maybe when you finish this dynasty you should have a go at the SimTech dynasty.  It seems like it might fit your timeline and era-focused ideologies and could give you a chance to use some of this lovely CC you've downloaded again  ;=)
But yes, Hazel and Ross are the best and they so get my vote!

Offline BallerinaHippo

• Immortal
« Reply #243 on: July 10, 2019, 07:16:28 PM »
Those bowling puns thoughhhh! Hilarious. I keep forgetting that there's a bowling alley- it was one of the last packs I had gotten when they all went on sale.
Looking forward to seeing the heir & the kitchen makeover
I'm glad you liked the puns.  ;)  I, too, got the bowling stuff pack on sale a while ago.  The main reason I finally got it was for the female hair that Hazel is now using.  Plus, bowling seemed like a good, wholesome activity for my 1940s teens.

Putting my heir vote for kitten...I mean...Hazel  ;=)  Love the banter between her and Ross.  You do a great job of writing in your eras.  Maybe when you finish this dynasty you should have a go at the SimTech dynasty.  It seems like it might fit your timeline and era-focused ideologies and could give you a chance to use some of this lovely CC you've downloaded again  ;=)
But yes, Hazel and Ross are the best and they so get my vote!
I know that you've already found my SimTech dynasty  :)  so obviously you are correct-- that challenge is right up my alley.  And I'm a glutton for punishment, apparently, because I've got two stories going at once. 

I'm really glad you enjoy Hazel and Ross together.  They are fun to write.  I initially had someone else in mind for Hazel, but sometimes my game says, "psst...do this instead!"

Offline BallerinaHippo

• Immortal
Re: BallerinaHippo's Sharebear Legacy: He followed me home (July 10)
« Reply #244 on: July 10, 2019, 08:07:48 PM »
He followed me home

Ross:  Hey kitten!  You have a…kitten.
56.1 Hazel greets Ross.jpg

Hazel:  This is Rusty. He followed me home and Dad said I could keep him.  Do you like him?
Ross:  Does a one-legged duck swim in a circle?
Hazel: *giggles* Sometimes I don’t know what you’re saying and yet I still know exactly what you mean.
56.2 Ross holds Rusty.jpg

A few days later, the moms enjoy a game of cards…

Maja:  I remember when we first started getting together, ladies.  Our children were still in grade school.  Now it seems they are all grown up.
Clara:  Where does the time go?
56.3 card game.jpg

Maja:  And who would have thought that two of my kids would be dating two of your kids, Avery?
Avery:  Oh, I think I might have seen that coming.  My Ross is always trying to impress your Hazel.
56.4 Ross muscles.jpg

Maja:  I could say the same thing about Basil and Sadie—he’s always trying to impress her.
Avery:  Sadie goes on and on about how funny he is.
56.5 Basil funny.jpg

Clara:  I hear Basil is doing very well in his career.
Maja:  Yes, he’s had a few promotions now.  It will be a long road to the top, though.
56.6 Basil performs.jpg

Clara:  I remember at Basil’s young adult birthday party, we all ordered the salmon.  And Basil was so funny!  He kept saying there was something fishy going on!
56.7 Basil party.jpg

Maja:  I remember that, too.  Only, there was something fishy going on.  Darwin got food poisoning from that meal!
56.8 Darwin food poison.jpg

Clara:  Oh!  I forgot about that!
Maja:  Well, a little food poisoning hardly seems significant, considering that dear Uncle Linden passed away the very next day.
Clara:  That was so unexpected!
56.9 Linden dies.jpg

Maja:  I know what you mean.  Uncle Linden lived so much longer than the rest of his generation that we were totally unprepared when Grim finally came for him.
56.10 Family mourns.jpg

A moment of silence for Linden Behr…

Clara:  *wipes her eyes*  You know, I always thought Kale looked a lot like Uncle Linden.  How is Kale doing these days?  Darwin tells me he joined the drama club.
Maja:  Yes.  We were surprised because Kale has always been a bit of a loner.  But he says he’s not shy when someone else writes the lines and he knows exactly what to say.
Avery:  That makes a lot of sense, actually.
56.11 Kale acting.jpg

Clara:  Do you think Kale will be an actor?
Maja:  I’m not sure.  He talks about joining the Sims Intelligence Agency someday.
Clara:  Hmm…I guess being a Secret Agent is sort of like acting.

Avery:  What about Hazel?  I know she did a lot of babysitting as a teen.  What does she want to do now?
56.12 Hazel babysitter.jpg

Maja:  It somewhat depends on her third trait.  Speaking of which, we’d better get inside. They’ve probably started the party already.
Clara: Wait till you see what they did with the kitchen!
56.13 Game ends fixed.jpg

Hazel: There you are, Mother!  I’ve been waiting for you.
Maja:  I’m sorry, dear.  I was gabbing with the ladies, and you know how we lose track of time.
56.14 Hazel Maja.jpg

Maja:  Are you ready to blow out your candles?
Hazel:  Ready as I’ll ever be!
56.15 Candles.jpg

Kale:  What is it, big sis? 
Hazel:  I…I got…the trait.
56.16 post spin .jpg

56.17 the trait.jpg

Basil:  Congratulations!  You’ll make a great heir, sis!
Hazel:  Thanks, but…are you okay with this?  Don’t you want to marry Sadie and have babies?
Basil: *laughs nervously* Uh…maybe someday, but…babies...I’m in no hurry.  Better you than me, really.  Besides, it just as easily could have been Kale.  Just because I’m oldest, doesn’t mean I expected to be heir.
56.18 Hazel Basil.jpg

Sadie:  Why didn’t someone warn me about the cowplants?
Zoe: *looks accusingly at Basil* Yeah, why didn’t you warn her?
56.19 Sadie.jpg

Later, someone else spontaneously ages up…
56.20 Rusty.jpg

Hazel:  Look at you!  You are such a big boy!
56.21 Hazel Rusty.jpg

And finally, Ross (who was just added to the family club) becomes a young adult.
56.22 Ross age up.jpg

Darwin:  Did you explain to Hazel about the unique traits for spouses?  Depending on Ross’s third trait, we might need to move in someone else first.
Maja:  Is 'romantic' unique?
Darwin: I think so.
Maja:  Then we're good.
56.23 Ross kiss Hazel.jpg

Later…

Hazel:  Bluebell and Buttercup, I’d like you to meet Ross.  He just moved in. (to Ross) They’re perfectly sweet as long as you keep them fed.  Go ahead and try it.  Just watch your fingers.
56.24 cowplants.jpg

Notes:  We have an heir, so this is the official start of Gen 5!  Here’s a quick who’s who:

•   Hazel (heir) Genius, Cat Lover, Loves the Outdoors.  Completed scouts and babysitter career as a teen.  Will work from home and do the floral designer career.
•   Basil (spare, older brother) Outgoing, Insider, Bro.  Former scout.  Finished Joke Star aspiration, level 6 in comedian career.
•   Kale (spare, younger brother) Neat, Loner.  Still a teen, in the drama club.  Will possibly do one of the secret agent careers. 
•   Ross (future spouse) Cheerful, Cat Lover, Romantic.  His traits are unique so he can be the primary spouse.  He will obviously join the detective career.
•   Rusty is a glutton, lazy and affectionate (i.e. the perfect cat).   

Strangely enough, Ross’s older sister also has unique traits.  If Basil had been heir, Sadie could easily have been primary spouse.  Sibling rivalry, anyone?

Updated to add a picture of the kitchen, which I spent waaaaayyy too much time on.
56.25 kitchen.jpg

Offline kattiq

• Watcher
  • Oh feebee lay!
« Reply #245 on: July 11, 2019, 10:36:42 AM »
Just caught up on the last 2 stories & HBD to everyone!
Also I really liked how you updated us all on everyone's achievements under the guise of Maja talking with all the ladies playing cards! So clever.
Can't wait to see Hazel & Ross get married. They make a cute couple :)

Offline BallerinaHippo

• Immortal
« Reply #246 on: July 14, 2019, 10:52:49 PM »
Just caught up on the last 2 stories & HBD to everyone!
Also I really liked how you updated us all on everyone's achievements under the guise of Maja talking with all the ladies playing cards! So clever.
Can't wait to see Hazel & Ross get married. They make a cute couple :)
Thanks friend!  I'm glad that the conversation between Maja and the other moms made sense.  Sometimes, I just need to cover a lot of ground, and the ladies talking seemed like a good way to do it.   :)

Offline BallerinaHippo

• Immortal
Re: BallerinaHippo's Sharebear Legacy: Full House (July 14)
« Reply #247 on: July 14, 2019, 11:08:27 PM »
Full House

Maja:  Round up the usual suspects.  We’re having a wedding!
Hazel:  Kind of a private moment, Mother!
57.1 Ross propose.jpg

Hazel:  There.  That’s better.
57.2 Hazel Ross.jpg

Meanwhile, someone else is getting swept off their feet.   
57.3 Basil abducted.jpg

Closer inspection reveals it to be—Basil.
57.4 Basil.jpg

The next morning…

Hazel:  I can’t believe I’m getting paid to make the flower arrangements for my own wedding!
57.5 Hazel flowers.jpg

Maja:  Our little girl is getting married!  *sniffs*
Darwin:  He’d better treat her right.
Maja:  He adores her.  Everything will be fine.
57.6 Parents watch wedding.jpg

Ross:  Of all the juice joints in all the towns, you had to walk into mine.
57.7 Ross vows.jpg

Hazel: Actually, we met at a birthday party because our moms are friends, but that’s okay.  You make me feel special whether you speak in first person or third person or even if you say nothing at all.  I promise to be the best ball and chain a guy ever had and to love you for the rest of our lives.
57.8 Hazel vows.jpg

Hazel:  I now pronounce us husband and wife. 
57.9 Man and Wife.jpg

Ross:  Here’s looking at you, kitten. 
57.10 kiss.jpg

Sadie:  Those two are so cute.  Do you think Basil and I will ever get married?
Avery:  I don’t know…you got that slob trait.
Sadie:  Way to rain on my parade, Mother.
57.11 cake.jpg

Sadie (thinking):  What’s wrong with Basil?  And why doesn’t anyone else seem to notice?
57.12 Basil glow.jpg

While the newlyweds discreetly sneak off, the mother-of-the-bride gets the party started on the dance floor…
57.13 dancing.jpg

Another day…

Kale:  Heh, heh.  I love this show.
Maja:  A talking horse.  What will they think of next?
57.14 watch tv.jpg

Darwin:  Modern conveniences…ha! Feels like more work to me.
57.15 laundry.jpg

Hazel:  So you see…even with classical music the bees were often still irritated or enraged.  But if I scent a floral arrangement with crocuses, it calms them right down. 
Maja:  I never tried that!
57.16 Maja bees.jpg

Hazel:  Welcome home, honey, I made a casserole for dinner to celebrate your first day on the job!
57.17 Ross Home.jpg

Basil: (thinking) I’m soooo hungry these days.  Would anyone notice if I take a second serving?
57.18 Family dinner.jpg

Later that evening…

Hazel:  Dad, I have to ask you something, but it’s kind of embarrassing.  Can you be my doctor right now, and not my Dad?
Darwin:  Okay.  What seems to be the trouble?
57.19 Hazel problem.jpg

Hazel:  It’s just-- with me being the heir and all—Ross and I would like to start a family right away.  But…um…we’re having a little trouble.
Darwin:  As your doctor, I can tell you that sometimes it takes several tries—
Hazel:  --Yeah, but you see that’s the problem.  We can’t even try.  The option simply isn’t there.
57.20 No try for baby.jpg

Darwin:  Oh!  Well, that’s interesting…that suggests…
Hazel:  Suggests what?  Is it me?  Is it him?
Darwin:  Hmm…I don’t think it’s either of you.  Your brother has been showing some symptoms…I wasn’t sure, but this confirms it.
Hazel:  Confirms what?  Which brother?
57.21 Basil sparkles.jpg

Darwin:  I hate to be the one to have to tell you this, sweetie, but I think the house is full.  The night before your wedding, Basil followed a bright light and—
Hazel: --he’s eating for two!  Are you kidding me!?
Darwin:  I wish I was.  I’m sorry, honey.
Hazel:  But…how will I have an heir?  I am not getting rid of Rusty!
Darwin:  Of course not.  We’ll figure something out.  But I’m afraid that for now, you and Ross will have to be patient. 
57.22 Darwin explains.jpg

Darwin:  And I really need to talk to your brother.  I don’t think he’s put two and two together yet.
57.23 Darwin tells Basil.jpg

Notes:  Surprise!  The aliens are at it again.  I guess I’ll have to come up with plan B.

Also, forgive me for misquoting Casablanca three times in one update, but it is the most quoted movie of all time (according to my internet research, so it must be true). 

Offline kattiq

• Watcher
  • Oh feebee lay!
« Reply #248 on: July 15, 2019, 02:36:59 PM »
Ahaha! Don't you love it when the game throws in those lovely curve balls. I guess now it's time for Basil to be in the lime light a little.
And beautiful wedding, congrats to Hazel & Ross <3

Offline Heart Foam

• Occult
  • Oh the grill indoors will be fine!
« Reply #249 on: July 18, 2019, 05:45:37 AM »
I agree on the beautiful wedding! And I like the clever use of the marble dance floor. And the flower arranging for the wedding! And I like Hazel's short red hair. I like Hazel. 

And I applaud you for having a doctor sim. I've had one. In total. Ever. And it's more homey, more being a useful part of a community than the scientist. What scared me, the once I did it, was all the appliances that kept breaking and which needed fixing / upgrading to not break.

Basil's alien is a fun complication to have. Here's hoping for a pointy-eared brunette green one.

I do also read along on the SimTech dynasties. And lurk. Yours too @kattiq And they're great. :)
Various Forum Adventures:

The Dynasty of Original Townies Dynasty
Vlad's Nose story
Sims Eugenics II - the big chateau one
Vacuous Green house (I totes like this one)
Island Living Beachfront Mansion

It is a little thing of my own. I call it "Heart Foam". I shall not publish it. Farewell! Patience, Patience, farewell!

Exit Bunthorne.