Author Topic: A Friendly Play Through-Ghost Hunter Profession  (Read 6367 times)

Offline Playalot

• Global Moderator
  • Watcher
A Friendly Play Through-Ghost Hunter Profession
« on: March 07, 2019, 08:29:35 PM »
This is just a very casual, friendly play-through of some sims Ambitions content that MrsFlynn, Nindigo and I haven't either played before or not for a long time.

Anyone can play along and post their sim-shenanigans in this thread, just tell us a little about your sim and their Life Time Wish, and share the journey. We're not writing full stories, we will share screenshots and just general chit-chat about how we are playing and maybe what works and what doesn't.

General Rules:

- Town: Monte Vista. If you do not own this store world then any other world is of course totally fine.

- Extra money making allowed from any non career/self employment source and from the decided upon Career. (So you don't have to live in a totally ugly house...priorities people!)

- Trips to World Adventure Worlds allowed.

- Time in University Allowed but only if your sim is making a genuine effort to complete a degree *snicker*

- No trips to the future.

- 1 Sim household - Not allowed to hire helpers. Your sim can be any life state.

- Can use a brand new sim or your sim from the Private Investigator Play Through. (Remember leveling Logic will help you gain career rank though.)

- Romantic relationships allowed.

- No pets.

- Can use items from all eps/sps, store and custom content.

- Static Needs - Allowed, if you want to give more time for skilling and socializing, etc.

- Buydebug - Your choice.

- NRAAS Mods - A must (no kidding but you really should use them!)

Goals of the Play-Through:

To complete the top level of the Ghost Profession

To share any tips and tricks that work well (and perhaps share those that don't work quite as well lol).

Completing the Life Time Wish: Paranormal Profiteer

Eventually support your sim off the proceeds of the profession without the need to earn simoleons in any other way. Which may be pretty tough on these Ambitions Professions/Careers if you have expensive taste!
“Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.”  ― Dr. Seuss
A Hollingsworth Immortal TS4 Dynasty-Completed Hall of Fame
A Teen Runaway Story - Pets Completed

Remember the Forum Rules. They're there to be followed.

Offline MrsFlynn

• Admin Assistant
  • Administrator
  • Watcher
Helpful Links
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2019, 08:37:43 PM »
Welcome!! We hope you enjoy the forum!!  Thank you for visiting!!
–Need Help? Check our Member FAQs Here. * –Read and follow the Forum Rules, please! *

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline MrsFlynn

• Admin Assistant
  • Administrator
  • Watcher
Tips and Information
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2019, 08:42:48 PM »
Tips and Information

Sometimes a ghost hunter doing a Ghost mission will be unable to see the ghost, even after they discover which room the ghost is located in. The mission will be impossible to complete. There are two solutions to this problem: 1. Pause the game until the ghosts render (approximately one to five minutes) or 2. Send the Sim to the lot but don't assist them and let them auto hunt for ghosts. ** Note Trying to get the Sim to auto-hunt for ghosts may not work for everyone.

You can donate Spirits to the Science lab for money or sell them directly out of your Sim's personal inventory.

Opportunity - Spirit Donation - Deliver 5 spirits to the Science lab. (No Time Limit) - Collect them while your on the job.

This opportunity comes up often, so don't sell off all the spirits.

Job at Residents - Spirit Invasion
- Look around lot for ghosts, pause, click on them and zap.

Job at Community lot - Paranormal Investigation
- Click on community lot to accept job.

Job at Residents - Poltergeist Haunting
- Look for shaking objects when searching the property, when looking for objects to exorcise.

Job at Residents - Ghostly Presence
- Scan for ghosts by clicking on the floor then click on ghost to select an option of what to do with them.

Job at Residents - Angry Ghost Invasion
- Watch for ghosts, pause and click on them to see what options there are to do. Your Sim may resist evicting the ghost, but try again.

Zoom out to look at the whole property, as some of the ghosts are outside roaming around. It also helps to zoom out and look floor to floor that way, looking all around to see if you can find the ghosts. Use the arrow keys to help look around.

Some jobs may not register as completed, if it's after 3am.

The lots that are haunted will have different color casts to them than normal when you have ghosts to get after. When finished with the particular job it will go back to normal. (Click images to see larger view)

Photo Before (While on Job)

Photo After (Job Completed)

Scan for Spirits starts at Lv5 of the ghost hunting career
- Click on the floor or ground to see the option.

Spirit colors and types and approximate prices when you sell promptly:

White—Friendly $37 for Young / $75 for Old / $107 for Ancient
Teal —Kind $25for Young / $50 for Old / $150 for Ancient
Yellow—Frightened $50 for Young / $100 for Old / $150 for Ancient
Blue—Lost $100 for Young / $200 for Old / $300 for Ancient
Green—Jealous $200 for Young / $400 for Old / $600 for Ancient
Orange—Wrathful $150 for Young / $300 for Old / $450 for Ancient
Red—Evil $500 for Young / $1000 for Old / $1500 for Ancient

The ghosts the game spawns are not the same as the 'normal' ghosts you will find in the world. These are spawned only for the Ghost Hunter Career.

Note: the teal ghosts may appear brown depending on your screen settings lol... not actually sure what color they are supposed to be!

Spirit Positioning Device (Reward for Completing the Paranormal Profiteer Lifetime Wish)

It's a device that when activated it shows you where hidden spirits are from map view, making it easy for you sim to go to those places and scan for spirits to capture them.

It may not  work during daylight hours, so you may need to deactivate it and reactive it in the evenings.

So if you're "late" getting to work due to being distracted and not keeping an eye on the clock, *Blush* and totally deleted the notices up top right of the screen. Either click the suitcase button in the Career tab, or click Map View to show what job options you have.

–Need Help? Check our Member FAQs Here. * –Read and follow the Forum Rules, please! *

Offline Nindigo

• Watcher
Re: A Friendly Play Through-Ghost Hunter Profession
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2019, 09:47:33 PM »
Screenshot-1.jpg
Fresh from the bin...

Name: Miraj Alvi

Traits: Family-Oriented, Good, Neat, Hopeless Romantic, Frugal
Lifetime Wish: Paranormal Profiteer
Favorites: Kids, Pancakes, Sea Foam
Sign: Pisces

Setup: Base Game + Ambition
Cheats & Other: Static Needs & Aging Disabled, Low Free Will
A smile is the prettiest thing you can wear
Time enjoyed is never time wasted

Offline MrsFlynn

• Admin Assistant
  • Administrator
  • Watcher
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2019, 10:10:25 PM »

* Name: Calista Bloom
* Gender/Type: Female Human

* Traits: Bookworm, Computer Wiz, Genius, Loves the Outdoors, Eccentric
* LTW: Paranormal Profiteer
* Favorites: Goopy Carbonara, Geek Rock and Pink
* Sign: Cancer

* Cheats & Other: Static Needs ; Aging and Story Progression  = Off; Medium Free Will ; Population = Off ; Celebs = Off

Offline Nindigo

• Watcher
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2019, 10:14:40 PM »
After purchasing the cheapest home within this little piece of Italy, there are not many Simoleons left. To make things harder, the library doesn't offer any skill books to read for free. I had Miraj go there anyway with the logic 1 book from his own bookcase at home. It made the read speedier at least. Next part of the plan is to be away from home as much as possible in order to keep the bills down. And then Miraj is going to fish like crazy and then sell the fish he catches. It will be his backup income. That is all there is on the table for now.

Offline Deklitch

• Nemesis of Reality
  • Watcher
  • Iceland has over 50 words for snow!
« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2019, 10:19:10 PM »
I don't have Monte Vista ... but I do have Aurora Skies (the one that gives that playpen and walker). I think I will go with a different self made YA for this one.

I installed two stuff packs for this ... High End Loft Stuff and Movie Stuff. Inspired by Marvel Comics, I went looking to see if there was a female version of a specific one of their heroes ... and there was! It turns out that at one stage, a Nicaraguan woman by the name of Alejandre Jones took on the mantle of Ghost Rider ... so, if its good enough for Marvel, it is good enough for me!

So I give you, Alejandre Jones, Ghost Rider and Ghost Hunter extraordinaire. She is not a PI, so she does not have to keep her face hidden from the cameras.
Screenshot-314.jpg
I gave my 'Spirit of Vengeance' the traits of Brave, Eccentric, Genius, Bookworm and Artistic.
Screenshot-315.jpg
So, it was off to the Science Lab (which also doubles as the hospital here in Aurora Skies) to join the career and take up a logic class.
Screenshot-316.jpg
Then it was to the library and the book coral to read logic.
Screenshot-318.jpg
She didn't start work til Monday night, and with Make Needs Static activated ... she got onto her 2nd logic book (and level 3 of her career) before her first night on the job. Her first job ... to deal with a community investigation at the town's cemetery.
Screenshot-321.jpg
Then she got to fight ghosts with her banshee banisher ... and her fists. The banshee banisher kept on failing at first, and then the ghosts beat her up. But then she switched to spirits (Gin was her favourite) and it went much more smoothly.
Screenshot-323.jpg
Then it was back to the library to learn more about logic.
Screenshot-319.jpg
And back on the job again
Screenshot-322.jpg

The Ghost Hunter Profession isn't my favourite part of the game, and it seems that Ms Jones will be spending the weekend painting, stuck at level 9 of this career and waiting for Monday night to roll around. Although I do have 1 more night's work ahead of me before the weekend, so who knows. LOL

I was right. She started the Friday night at level 9 career, about 1/5 of the way along the experience thing. I had three jobs that night - 1 x Ghostly Presence and 2 x Angry Ghosts. I got all three jobs completed, and it stopped about 1/8th of the bar away from getting level 10 in the Ghost Hunter profession. So, off she goes to the paint easel to paint and watch paint dry. lol

I did get an opportunity out of it, however (best Haunted House ever) which was to deliver 5 spirits to the school.

Stats are currently as at Friday Week 1 - 1:29pm
Traits - Artistic, Brave, Bookworm, Eccentric, Genius
Level 10 Logic Skill
Level 3 Painting Skill
Level 9 Ghost Hunter Profession
Life Time Rewards: Professional Simeloen Booster; Entrepreneurial Mindset
5,291 Simeloens
Living at 43 Sulfur Springs Road, Aurora Skies in 'Quarry House'.

She completed it in the late hours of Monday Night Week 2 with 19 paintings painted in addition to the 10 spirits caught and about 10 ghosts banished. She also investigated three community locations - the graveyard, the town hall and the military base - three places that would have plenty of ghosts, or in the case of town halls, skeletons in closets. LOL

Sorry, Ghost Hunter isn't really my cup of tea.

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline Nindigo

• Watcher
« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2019, 09:40:51 AM »
Wow, Deklitch. I blink and you're done! Congrats on completing :)

My Miraj caught some fish, sold them, and after his first work day/night, he turned in the spirits and was awarded some Simoleons for them. He now had enough to buy logic book 2 which he did, and proceeded to read it at the library. Then he sold the book and was able to buy logic book 3. He is still reading that currently at the library. He has been promoted to Ghost Hunter level 4. Fortunately, his bills don't seem to excede 80 Simoleons, so we are on top of things here. I guess, grinding is pretty much all there is left.

Screenshot-3.jpg
*Smooch* My cute Miraj outside his home in the lovely Italy <3

Offline Nindigo

• Watcher
« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2019, 11:58:13 AM »
Alright, inconsistencies to report.

First off, Italians apparently like to become invisible while at the library. Newcomers too, as Miraj also did. I reset the lot which returned people to their homes, but at least in a visible state. Oh, and Miraj's face turned into a pudding version in his portrait while he was invisible.

Now for the Ghost Hunting issues.

First, Miraj was sent to put 5 spirits to rest. The job completed after he had used the Banshee Banisher on 1 ghost.

Next, he was sent to exorcise 3 objects. The job completed after getting a ghost out of the 2nd object.

That night's harvest = 1 meager spirit

It's not even 10 PM and he seems to have done all of today's jobs for now.

Update 1
Major routing issues to mirrors in public bathrooms just like in Lunar Lakes.

Update 2
Decided to move Miraj out and build his own little place up the hill on a 20x20 lot. He has about 900§ left.

Screenshot-4.jpg

Offline MrsFlynn

• Admin Assistant
  • Administrator
  • Watcher
« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2019, 01:29:38 PM »
Congrats Dek on finishing the playthrough. Do you have any tips/tricks to share? Did you run into any glitches related to the GH career?

I just got my save file setup and am ready to play.

Cute house Nindigo!! :)

Offline Nindigo

• Watcher
« Reply #10 on: March 08, 2019, 03:26:18 PM »
More feedback from me.

It can be frustrating if your Sim is scanning for ghosts in a big home with many rooms, as you are on the clock. I have just experienced some tenseness out of fear that Miraj wouldn't be able to finish his one job in time. Also, he had to deal with an angry ghost who decided to engage in a fight with him which was time consuming. It doesn't help that when he must deal with Sim ghosts, he cancels all my directions in order to express disgust. Thus I have to tell him to do everything at least twice. Not exactly my idea of fun when the clock is ticking.

Offline Deklitch

• Nemesis of Reality
  • Watcher
  • Iceland has over 50 words for snow!
« Reply #11 on: March 08, 2019, 03:33:32 PM »
As Metro said in his profession writeup, Logic really goes slowly in terms of raising performance at 1st level of profession, but after that it seemed to go along at a better rate.

I didn't run into any glitches with my playthrough.

I'd swap out brave for something else as far as traits go ... it had no impact when she first saw ghosts - she still fainted at the sight of them. I loved it when ghosts fainted at the sight of other ghosts - in one house, three ghosts were all in the same room, they all fainted when they saw each other. Athletics maybe - she seemed to get the ghost jobs from the first night on the job, for all of the first mission and most of the second mission, the banshee banisher failed on the first go and the ghost would then fight her and she'd lose the fight.

The Ghost Positioning System you get at the 10th level of the career is very helpful if you want to run around, collecting spirits from that point on.

Before that, you can use the scan for spirits at level (5, I think) of the profession and get 25 simeloens for each spirit you uncover.

@Nindigo yes, that was time consuming.

I got two ops - one at the school and one at the theater. Each was to deliver 5 caught spirits to them. I got some money for each one.

In Aurora Skies there are some combined rabbit holes eg Science Lab/Hospital and Military Base/Police Station are two I interacted with. I didn't try to send spirits to the Science Lab for scientific research, so I don't know if that is included in the bug of combined rabbit holes or not, but I did have one of those community investigations at the military base/police station and it went without a hitch.

The Ghost Positioning System does show some spirits as being in the same spot as rabbithole buildings/people's homes. You can't get to the spirits at least in the rabbithole buildings, at least I couldn't.

Offline Playalot

• Global Moderator
  • Watcher
« Reply #12 on: March 08, 2019, 04:05:39 PM »
Congrats on completing Deklitch sounds like there really isn't much meat to this career. I remember playing it years ago but haven't touched it since. I'll fire up my game and give it a try today and see how it goes. Seems like it can be completed relatively quickly. Which is a good thing if it is as engaging as this!
“Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.”  ― Dr. Seuss
A Hollingsworth Immortal TS4 Dynasty-Completed Hall of Fame
A Teen Runaway Story - Pets Completed

Remember the Forum Rules. They're there to be followed.

Offline MrsFlynn

• Admin Assistant
  • Administrator
  • Watcher
« Reply #13 on: March 08, 2019, 04:16:00 PM »
Here's a report on how my game is going....

Calista didn't automatically start hunting for ghosts. I didn't think she would, but got to her 1st job and had to prompt her to banish the ghosts. That went okay. 1st ghost showed up rather quickly. 2nd one didn't. I had her sit, I sped up time and then clicked pause and prompted her to banish the 2nd ghost.
(Job 1 done)

It looks like the lots that are haunted will have different color casts to them than normal when you have ghosts to get after. When finished with the particular job it will go back to normal.

Oh Wowzer!! The 2nd job done was a residence with a red/orange cast.. Not easy on the eyes or stomach if you're sensitive to different lights.

Yay!! Some of the ghosts aren't even inside the building their outside on the property. Pause, click on ghosts and grab.

I saw only two, but apparently there were 3. I prompted her to get the two and she automatically got the third ghost. (Job 3 done!)

----

Stats:
Date: Week 1 Day 3 - Tues. wee-morning
Levels: Career Lv3, Logic Lv5 ; 3 jobs done.

Offline Nindigo

• Watcher
« Reply #14 on: March 08, 2019, 05:03:38 PM »
Miraj won't get his last promotion until after the weekend. Four times, I have to ask him to banish the ghost sims. Four. Imagine having to banish five ghost sims. That is asking him to do the same twenty times! Because he keeps cancelling my directions, again, because he can't stomach the friggin' ghosts. And I don't mean the playful little spirits you are sent to deal with the first many times. They are "normal" ghost sims.

Gah, I'm taking a break.

Update
I got done. It was week 2, day 3. After catching the last ghost and while still in the client's home (Valentine Monty, who is in fact a playable ghost), Miraj quit his job as soon as the LTW completed. Monte Vista is perhaps not the best world to do this profession in since it has many big houses with lots of rooms and often 3 floors. Ghost Hunter is definitely not my cup of tea either. It frustrated me a lot and I'm glad it's over now.

By the way, when the workday starts, multiple jobs often come in, but you have to leaf through them in the message box in the upper right corner in order to know what they are. Very obscure, in my opinion.

Miraj got logic and athleticism to level 10, and fishing to level 8. He drives a Sloppy Jalopy. There are no rewards in this career. The banshee banisher is not even a real object, just something you see in the ghost sucking animation. All its upgrades are just to make the job a little easier, but not remarkably. The thingamajig that you get in the end (spirit tracker) remains in the inventory after quitting, but is by then completely useless since you can't scan for spirits anymore. Miraj got a single hero medal from the town council.

Thumbs down to the Ghost Hunter profession from here :-\