Author Topic: Help with downloading...  (Read 1747 times)

Offline csmags

• Nooboo
Help with downloading...
« on: August 06, 2019, 10:07:57 AM »
I have a new computer which the operating system has been moved to C: and the Data is on D:. C: is the solid state one and very small byte wise. So when i downloaded and install Sims3 and Sim4 I do not get the standard tree for my folders.  I now do not know where to download my mods and my items for sims.
I have attached a snapshot of what my Sims3 folder now looks like, i have contacted EA and they rudely told me they do not support Mods. Sims will run but I can only use the basic which true-fully is booorrring.
I have downloaded, shut the computer off, taken it all the way back to factory settings and always the same. Can anyone help with this problem?

Offline MrsFlynn

• Admin Assistant
  • Administrator
  • Watcher
Re: Help with downloading...
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2019, 11:00:17 AM »
It seems you are looking in the installed folder by the screenshot you shared.

It sounds like your documents folder may have been moved to the D Drive? If that's the case, look for your Sims user folders via this path:

--- D:\Users\Username\Documents\Electronic Arts

Look for your Sims 3 user folder with this path:
D:\Users\Username\Documents\Electronic Arts\Sims 3
You will need to create a Mods folder and download the Resource.cfg file.

See the post linked below for more help on creating a New Mods Folder.

Sims 3 - Creating a Mods Folder/Installing Mods Step by Step Guide
https://www.carls-sims-4-guide.com/forum/index.php?topic=9187.0

Look for your Sims 3 user folder with this path:
D:\Users\Username\Documents\Electronic Arts\Sims 4
Welcome!! We hope you enjoy the forum!!  Thank you for visiting!!
–Need Help? Check our Member FAQs Here. * –Read and follow the Forum Rules, please! *

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline csmags

• Nooboo
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2019, 07:53:49 PM »
I see what you are saying but the new computer did not set up my user folder in D:, it is set up in C: which has very little room even though i pointed the installation to D:  I do see the folders under C: under User.  My free space for C: is 7.50gb.  Will I be crashing for lack of memory?

Offline MrsFlynn

• Admin Assistant
  • Administrator
  • Watcher
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2019, 09:14:26 PM »
That is not a whole lot of hard drive space left. Yes, having too little of hard drive space to run the game does cause crashing.

Are you trying to find instructions on how to move the documents folder to the D drive? So you can basically play Sims off of the D drive as well as have the user folder there?
–Need Help? Check our Member FAQs Here. * –Read and follow the Forum Rules, please! *

Offline csmags

• Nooboo
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2019, 09:46:40 PM »
I have tried that but I will set up my folder on D: just like the one on C: and see if that makes a difference.  I hope so I have been trying on and off for months now to get this to work right.

Offline MrsFlynn

• Admin Assistant
  • Administrator
  • Watcher
« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2019, 09:54:06 PM »
Moving the Documents folder to a different drive can be done. However it needs to be done a certain way, It can't just be copied from one drive to another, as the game will not know the new location, and therefore create a new user folder.

For step by step instructions on how to move the user folders see this article on Dummies.com
http://www.dummies.com/computers/operating-systems/windows-10/how-to-change-the-location-of-user-folders-in-windows-10/

Or step by step instructions from HowToGeek.
https://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windows-vista/moving-your-personal-data-folders-in-windows-vista-the-easy-way

Or watch a tutorial video on Youtube:

How to move "Documents" folder to another drive in Windows 10
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iYfNmGnbxNw

Offline csmags

• Nooboo
« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2019, 11:23:35 PM »
I found a youtube that explains how to install all your program files to another drive so i am going to take my machine back to factory settings change the registry explain in the video and install my programs after that is completed.  I think this just might work.  I have tried moving but to no avail.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q90HO_rzfqI

Just wanted to say you have been more help than i have run across so far in my quest to fix my Sims.  Thanks.

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline MrsFlynn

• Admin Assistant
  • Administrator
  • Watcher
« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2019, 12:13:55 AM »
You're welcome. Sounds like you're on to get it fixed. :)

anything