Author Topic: Do All Instrument Opps REALLY Count Towards Guitar Star?  (Read 1729 times)

Offline Trip

• Challenge Board Assistant
  • Global Moderator
  • Watcher
  • Three Chihuahuas in a Trenchcoat
Do All Instrument Opps REALLY Count Towards Guitar Star?
« on: April 23, 2020, 12:38:37 PM »
So this is a theory that has been floated around on occasion: if you have Late Night, then all instrument opps count towards Guitar Star. I even remember this being true in a test file I did. When it came time to have a guitar supermax, I got a skill point in all instruments an a form of "insurance" and the opps rolled in! I got to ten in total, and Guitar Star didn't register. I got to ten that involve playing in rabbitholes only (so no tips, gaining points, etc.) and it still hasn't registered.

Is this just a rumor? Kinda sucks for my dynasty if it is. Lol.

EDIT: for what it's worth I did a test run of Guitar Star in another file with the same sim and town and it's not like my game isn't recognizing Guitar Star. I just think I fell for dubious advice or missed a detail about it.
No respect, no chance, cease and desist when I chant-

Forum Rules / Outrun / Defunded

Offline deedee_828

• Watcher
Re: Do All Instrument Opps REALLY Count Towards Guitar Star?
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2020, 09:11:14 PM »

I haven't actually tried this specific challenge, but I know the band gigs never appeared for me, no matter what town I was in.

But I did find this information on the Sims Wiki, and from what I'm getting from it, the ops must be specifically for guitar and they come from the bistro?
Doesn't make a lot of sense to me, but it might be worth a test run to see if this information is actually accurate.

https://sims.fandom.com/wiki/Game_guide:Guitar_Star

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline Trip

• Global Moderator
  • Watcher
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2020, 09:19:01 PM »
@deedee_828 I can say for sure that the Wiki is wrong. My test run involved plenty of theatre and bookstore or spa ops that counted. I think the fact it's such a hard challenge means that misinformation is out there in lieu of advice from people who finished it, because there's just not many of them!

Offline deedee_828

• Watcher
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2020, 09:29:17 PM »
So you actually got 10 ops for guitar and it still didn't count? That's disappointing, especially after all of that time and effort.

I do feel your pain, though I'm not playing a dynasty, so not quite as much pain as you.

No matter what I did for gigs for my band I never got a gig! And I read all the information and added the places it told me too. Even tried a test game in a town that had all the right bars and venues and such and still, no gigs! Very frustrating. Apparently there's quite a bit of information out there that's not only misleading but downright wrong!

Offline Trip

• Global Moderator
  • Watcher
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2020, 09:50:43 PM »
@deedee_828 I got ten instrument ops in total (across all four of them...bass really churns out the ops I'm telling ya!). There was a rumor that any Late Night instrument's ops count towards Guitar Star but I'm starting to doubt it. It's something I gotta experiment with but maybe after I restart this dynasty. I am so done with instruments after I succeed!

Offline deedee_828

• Watcher
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2020, 10:10:14 PM »
I know the feeling! I'm playing a Town Jump game and randomizing the traits and I've had multiple artistic and virtuoso sims, which can get tedious after awhile. And the heirs are supposed to complete unique LTW's.

So, for your ops did you actually see where other instruments counted?

I'm wondering if the Wiki mentions the Bistro because that's where more guitar ops come from, rather than the ones for other instruments?

My heir sim has maxed her guitar skill and painting too, yet another artistic, virtuoso, and since I'm not playing a dynasty, I can see if I can trigger those guitar ops for the bistro.

I'll let you know how it goes after my next play in that game.

Though that may not be soon enough to do you any good in your dynasty, it would be nice to have accurate information going forward.

Offline KRae

• Watcher
« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2020, 10:03:10 PM »
One thing I've noticed with guitar star is that your sim can repeat a guitar op and both count toward the total.

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline Cillasi

• Nooboo
« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2020, 11:52:41 PM »
I made a Sim and didn't allow him to get a job or have any other skills except Guitar.  The first challenge you get is to make tips.  I think that counts, but not sure.  The only other challenges I got that counted (multiple times) were one to sort music at the bookstore, and one to jam or compete with other musicians at the diner, I think.  Those were the ONLY two guitar star items I got and I really didn't start getting them until I was at or almost maximum level.  Do not take any challenges that you can't do instantly and stay away from any skill challenges (if you have more than the guitar skill).  You don't want anything holding up the queue.  Because the guitar star challenges are so few, it takes a while for them to pop up.

Offline Trip

• Global Moderator
  • Watcher
« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2020, 07:33:06 PM »
@KRae yup! and @Cillasi I found that the guitar tips ops don't count but I'm not sure about skilling up. I'll come back with any updates if I figure it out.

Offline Nella

• Llama Wrangler
« Reply #9 on: June 09, 2020, 09:57:45 AM »
@Trip I supermaxed guitar a couple of times and I tried it in various ways, including doing all instrument at the same time and I didn't manage to do it that way so I don't think the rumor is true but I just did this only one time so don't hold me in this.

What I did notice is:
1. Ops don't have to be unique.
2. There are more ops in higher levels of the skill.
3. Doing it together with a job doesn't seem to affect it (I completed the challenge with one sim in the music career and another time with one unemployed.)
4. Neither affect it if the sim start to skill as a teen.
5. Fewer expansions bring more ops.
6. Rabbitholes ops always register, skilling ops sometimes don't and tips ops never do. So Rabbitholes are the safe choice.

I supermaxed it 4 times and only one of those was before elderhood. This is what I remember right now. Hopes it helps.

Offline Trip

• Global Moderator
  • Watcher
« Reply #10 on: June 09, 2020, 10:34:23 AM »
@Nella hey just in time for me to really super officially finish it too! I may have a longer writeup but I think we had very similar experiences.