Author Topic: GRRRRR Sims 3 Launcher/Origin/EA Play  (Read 6212 times)

Offline Trip

• Challenge Board Assistant
  • Global Moderator
  • Watcher
  • Three Chihuahuas in a Trenchcoat
Re: GRRRRR Sims 3 Launcher/Origin/EA Play
« Reply #15 on: September 16, 2020, 07:13:17 AM »
If you made a Factory Reset folder and tried to download and install and use items, would it do the same?
No respect, no chance, cease and desist when I chant-

Forum Rules / Outrun / Defunded

Offline MrsFlynn

• Admin Assistant
  • Administrator
  • Watcher
« Reply #16 on: September 16, 2020, 05:29:05 PM »
I wanted to add this how-to link just in case it's needed. :)

Sims 3 Factory Reset - HowTo:
http://www.carls-sims-4-guide.com/forum/index.php?topic=20732.msg401814#msg401814

It sounds like you might have two Sims 3 folder, one on each - C: Drive and D: Drive?

Is there a way to tell which one the game is trying to pull information from? If so, maybe delete the one that the game is not pulling from?

I too am curious if you made a new Sims 3 folder and redownloaded or copied over store content as well as other files and folders if that might help.
Welcome!! We hope you enjoy the forum!!  Thank you for visiting!!
–Need Help? Check our Member FAQs Here. * –Read and follow the Forum Rules, please! *

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline Deklitch

• Nemesis of Reality
  • Watcher
  • Iceland has over 50 words for snow!
« Reply #17 on: September 16, 2020, 06:07:36 PM »
Thank you both, I'll try those things.

Offline Deklitch

• Nemesis of Reality
  • Watcher
« Reply #18 on: July 06, 2021, 10:03:22 PM »
ok ... after extensive research, reading, reviewing terms I didn't understand in the explanations given, I think I not only understand why the store bought content disappears ... but how to get it back so it doesn't happen again.

It turns out some of the updates to Origin and/or Sims 3 has an impact on store content.

Some of the updates didn't continue the patches that were needed for some store content to be up to date.

So store content that was downloaded before the updates weren't of the right 'version' to work in the updated version of Origin/Launcher so the system stopped those from being used in the game.

Now, where as those patches used to enable you to install your store content/premium content in one go, the lack of the patches means that you need to install the store content/premium content in groups that are under a certain number of kilobytes. Essentially when installing if the group goes over that value in total, it will cause an error and make none of it install.

But by installing in groups, I have been able to have all my premium content in my game, and it remains there between opening and closing the game.

This is what I did:

1. Move files from DCCache folder to desktop folder (so dc cache folder is empty)
  2. Enter Game,
  3. Open Download launcher and Game launcher through the dots also open up the File Explorer.
  4.  Download sets ... I did about 5-6 sets at once (click on the download button) If I'm reinstalling worlds, I only do a world by itself, nothing else.
  5. Exit the Download launcher and click through the advice that the sets were downloading and installed. I go into a game (either new or existing and check that the custom/store content is in game.) If it is a world, I check that the world is in the drop down list for worlds to select on the main screen.
  6. Exit the game altogether and then re enter the game ... check the freshly installed premium/store content is still there.
  7. If it is all there - repeat steps 3 - 6 until all the content is installed.

The advice is then to delete the folder on the desk top folder created in step 1.

This seems to have worked for me. The only thing is ... for all the store worlds, I have each one listed 3 or 4 times, so my drop down list of worlds is very long!

Apparently the reason for the recommendation that only a few sets get uploaded at once is a needed thing because too many at once corrupts all of them

As always, do the above at own risk, I have done this in a Windows 10 environment and have no experience with MACs and thanks to Trip, Mrs Flynn, Mr Flynn and others for your ongoing assistance with technical issues. Also thanks to the simmers outside of Carls who have put together guides through the forums, youtube videos and their own pages to assist with such technical issues.

Offline MrsFlynn

• Admin Assistant
  • Administrator
  • Watcher
Tip for installing Store Towns
« Reply #19 on: July 07, 2021, 12:34:18 AM »
I'm happy you found that installing store content a little at a time helps. :)

I was helping someone else with double/triple store towns in the drop down list. They had this tip to share:

If you see two Riverview listings Go to the InstalledWorlds folder
\Documents\Electronic Arts\The Sims 3\InstalledWorlds -- and delete any extra Riverview files there are.

Click image to see larger view
–Need Help? Check our Member FAQs Here. * –Read and follow the Forum Rules, please! *

Offline Magz from Oz

• Watcher
« Reply #20 on: July 11, 2021, 06:41:21 PM »
I am having similar problems through my Steam game. I've lost all my Store Content in middle of a game in Riverview! When I tried to reopen the game, I got the message. "There was an error during startup. Please see the log for more details." There is no log. When you click on Ok, the screen and failed launcher just disappear.

My IT guru son suggested I uninstall and reinstall the game as I've not been able to go to Sims University as a student since I did a factory reset in April. Also when I went to WA destinations, it presents with a blank interface and no Sim.

So I uninstalled and reinstalled the game via Steam and got a launcher which worked, but all the Store Content needed to be reinstalled. I decided to cull some of my excess content and only downloaded that which I really really wanted in game. I started with the Worlds, then the venues, then the sets, and finally the individual purchases that I actually use. I took me more than 20 hours all up.

I open up a new game in Sunset Valley and clear out the extraneous automatically placed lots from Showtime and Pets and rebuild Sunset Valley, my way. This also took me a while. Then I began placing the store venues. All of them that have Premium Content items, had those particular items replaced with generic items, mats for the dance floor for the Skylight Studio or tables (Harvest stalls) for the Al Fresco Street Market, or decor Sunflowers and columns for Stones Throw greenhouse or were completely absent from the venue (Prism Art Studio & Serenity Retreat). The Brunch at the Old Mill and Gradpa's Grove venues were not among from the community options.

I saved the vanilla Sunset Valley game and Quit and reopened the launcher. In my launcher there were only a few venues in the Installed Content tab.  When I tried to install content from the downloads tab, it tells me that I don't have the latest patch. If my hair hadn't already been white, it would be by now.

So I'll follow Dek's instructions and Mrs Flynn's advice for resetting the Internet browser. I'll let you know if it doesn't work.
Where there is love - there is life. -- Mahatma Gandhi

My Stories:
1. Duty Calls
2. Duty Calls Sequel: Islands of Sunset Valley
3. The Lady of the Lake
4. The Secret Time Traveler

Offline MrsFlynn

• Admin Assistant
  • Administrator
  • Watcher
« Reply #21 on: July 11, 2021, 11:21:45 PM »
When it comes to the Steam version, I may not be of much help. As they have their own patching/updating system.

However, I searched on the issue (Steam Sims 3 don't have the latest patch) and what I've been able to find is have the game update through steam. It should fully patch your game to whatever the Steam patch level is. Which seems to be - 1.67.2.024037

I also found a Troubleshooting guide by Cruinne - Sim 3 player with the Steam version.

Toubleshooting for The Sims 3
https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=279488894

Hopefully it can help get things back up and running for you.

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline Deklitch

• Nemesis of Reality
  • Watcher
« Reply #22 on: July 12, 2021, 07:35:40 AM »
I'm currently playing with the Steam Version ... after the problem originally began with Origin/EA Play. It was through the Steam version that I got it to work.

Offline MrsFlynn

• Admin Assistant
  • Administrator
  • Watcher
« Reply #23 on: July 12, 2021, 12:26:57 PM »
That's great to know!! Thank you for mentioning that Dek!! :)

Offline Magz from Oz

• Watcher
« Reply #24 on: July 16, 2021, 08:35:32 AM »
Just a quick mention that I've got the game working again. I even sent Christopher Steel to University and he came back. He lost some of the stuff from his inventory but he's back, so I'm not too worried. I'll try to remember not to buy too much junk while traveling. I'll test next week with Oasis Landing and after that, try the WA destinations. Fingers crossed...
Where there is love - there is life. -- Mahatma Gandhi

My Stories:
1. Duty Calls
2. Duty Calls Sequel: Islands of Sunset Valley
3. The Lady of the Lake
4. The Secret Time Traveler

Offline Deklitch

• Nemesis of Reality
  • Watcher
« Reply #25 on: July 17, 2021, 06:58:14 AM »
Well ... it has all been lost again. I'm reading through the instructions again and found youtube videos to follow. Rather fascinating ... and annoying in equal measures ... I lie, the annoying is greater than the fascinating part.

I saved it all this morning ... then ran the Windows upload my computer was demanding I do and then it told me when I tried to go into the game it couldn't load the saved game I had been playing (in a store world) Said it was a fatal game error. So I went and looked at the list of worlds available and sure, it only lists the non-store worlds.

So I continue my investigations lol

Offline MrsFlynn

• Admin Assistant
  • Administrator
  • Watcher
Sims 3 Game Won't Launch
« Reply #26 on: October 04, 2021, 01:19:44 AM »
Posted for informational purposes. 

If the tip PuzzlezAddict shared doesn't work, please post details of the issue at AHQ for more help using the link posted below:

Sims 3 Game Won't Launch
https://answers.ea.com/t5/Technical-Issues-PC/SIMS-3-GAME-WON-T-LAUNCH-WINDOWS-10/td-p/10700850

Quote from PuzzlezAddict:

Try reinstalling DirectX 9.  You don't need to uninstall anything; just download the installer from Microsoft and run it.

DX9 is a much older runtime, one that Sims 3 requires because it was current at the time the game was being built.  It's not installed in Windows 10 by default.

When you download the installer from this link:

https://www.microsoft.com/en-US/download/details.aspx?id=8109

You'll get a file in Downloads called directx_Jun2010_redist.exe.  First, create a folder on your desktop called DX.  (You can right-click on the desktop and select New > Folder.)

Double-click on directx_Jun2010_redist.exe, and you'll get a license agreement.  Then you can choose a location to extract the files.  Scroll all the way up (or drag the scrollbar up), open the Desktop section, not the one at the top but the one with an arrow next to it a couple lines down.  Choose the DX folder, then click OK, and OK again.

Inside the DX folder, scroll down a bit and find DXSETUP.exe.  Double-click it, select Yes when asked if you want to allow the app to make changes, accept the agreement, select Next twice, and you'll see it installing.  This may take a minute.

When it's done, click Finish, then restart your computer.

Offline MrsFlynn

• Admin Assistant
  • Administrator
  • Watcher
Get Store Content Recognized By Game
« Reply #27 on: October 04, 2021, 01:27:40 AM »
I wanted to post this tip here just in case anyone is still having problems with the store content staying installed.

It seems like for the most part, downloading from the Sims 3 Store to the Sims 3 Downloads folder. Isn't the issue.

Where the problem comes in is getting store content to stay installed or getting the game to recognize that it's already installed.

✽ Click images to see larger view.

The first tip I've mentioned already in the post above, but bears repeating. :)

⚬ If using Origin - Fully exit Origin and relaunch both Origin and Sims 3. It may take a few tries, but some report that this works.

Others have reported the couple of tips below help. -- Specially for Steam/Disc players. (this helps Origin players as well)

⚬ Delete the igs.bin and platform.bin files in the SigsCache folder
   - \Documents\Electronic Arts\The Sims 3\SigsCache

Launch the game again to see if that helps. The game will regenerate these files. If not, try the tip below:

++ For this tip, please be sure to have your store content and custom content files backed up. Deleting the both files in the folder mentioned below deletes both the installed store content and custom content that is installed via the Sims 3 launcher. -- However, deleting just the missingdeps.idx file should not delete store or custom content.

⚬ Delete the missingdeps.idx file from the DCCache Folder
   - \Documents\Electronic Arts\The Sims 3\DCCache

If uncomfortable deleting the files mentioned above, save a copy of your Sims 3 folder to your desktop or usb stick for back up purposes. Then try deleting the files.

This should help with any missing store content including Store towns. -- Tip for Installing Store Towns

Please see the article linked below by Crinrict to read about the Sims 3 User Files.

Sims 3 User Files Explained
https://sims3.crinrict.com/en/2011/01/faq-user-files.html