Author Topic: Saving a Game?  (Read 1657 times)

Offline Peanuts61

• Occult
Saving a Game?
« on: September 05, 2020, 05:26:01 PM »
hello everyone:

i need to ask a question about saving a game before i do an uninstall/re-install?  i have a few saved games that i don't want to delete but i do an uninstall/re-install about every 3months or so and i was wondering how to keep my saved games? thanks for the info and happy labor day!

Offline MrsFlynn

• Admin Assistant
  • Administrator
  • Watcher
Re: Saving a Game?
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2020, 06:05:24 PM »
There are a couple ways to save your Sims 3 files. I usually just save the whole Sims 3 folder to either my desktop, a usb key or external hard drive.

1. Go to \Documents\Electronic Arts
2. Right-click on the Sims 3 Folder and select Cut.
3. Right-click on your Desktop, usb key, or external hard drive and select Paste.

However, if you'd rather not save the whole folder, you can just backup the different folders and files.

Sims 3 - How To: Saving Folders/Files
https://www.carls-sims-4-guide.com/forum/index.php?topic=16414.msg313134#msg313134
Welcome!! We hope you enjoy the forum!!  Thank you for visiting!!
–Need Help? Check our Member FAQs Here. * –Read and follow the Forum Rules, please! *

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline Peanuts61

• Occult
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2020, 10:25:05 PM »
Thank you mrs. flynn! i will definitely try that. i have a few very good saved games i don't want to lose, but i need to do the uninstall/reinstall this weekend. happy labor day and please be safe!

Offline MrsFlynn

• Admin Assistant
  • Administrator
  • Watcher
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2020, 10:33:48 PM »
You're welcome!!

If you're nervous about cutting/pasting the Sims 3 to the desktop, usb key or external hard drive, check where you backed it up to after the move is complete. 

I do this out of habit now, as I've lost files before and wasn't able to get them back.

Happy Labor Day to you too!! :)
–Need Help? Check our Member FAQs Here. * –Read and follow the Forum Rules, please! *

Offline Peanuts61

• Occult
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2020, 11:11:53 PM »
i am thinking of just dragging the entire sims 3 folder to the desktop and then placing it back after the re-install but WILL my saved games really be there and playable? can i pick up where i left off?

Offline MrsFlynn

• Admin Assistant
  • Administrator
  • Watcher
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2020, 11:35:02 PM »
Yep that works too!! :) And yes you will be able to pick up where you left off.

Offline Peanuts61

• Occult
« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2020, 11:56:23 PM »
GREAT! thanks again. your're the best!

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline MrsFlynn

• Admin Assistant
  • Administrator
  • Watcher
« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2020, 12:54:49 AM »
Awe, Shucks!! Thank you!! :)

Offline Peanuts61

• Occult
« Reply #8 on: September 06, 2020, 10:51:33 PM »
so i tried to do the uninstall/re-install and i removed my sims 3 folder before doing it, but now origin is stalling, and games don't want to install. so i put the folder back into the documents folder and now it's working, but i don't have the packs in the order that carl suggests. so i tried deleting everything again including in my control panel and tried installing in order again, only it keeps freezing (ORIGIN) so i am giving up because i am NOT a very patient person. so i think in order to do my uninstall/re-install, i will just have to lose my saved games. just venting. and also letting you guys know that it didn't work for me to move the sims 3 folder to my desktop so i can do a proper uninstall/re-install

Offline MrsFlynn

• Admin Assistant
  • Administrator
  • Watcher
« Reply #9 on: September 06, 2020, 11:08:31 PM »
Your Sims 3 folder has nothing to do with your Sims 3 install folder. They are completely different folders.

I am hoping that you have kept your Sims 3 folder on your desktop or some place else safe. Just in case you want to try again later. when you have more time, energy and patience to uninstall/reinstall the game.

I don't know if this will help but I wrote an article a little while back on uninstalling/reinstalling Sims 3.

How to Install and/or Uninstall Sims 3, Expansions and Stuff packs
https://www.carls-sims-4-guide.com/forum/index.php?topic=20732.msg425178.html#post_Uninstall

Offline Peanuts61

• Occult
« Reply #10 on: September 06, 2020, 11:18:14 PM »
i do have the folder on my desktop and it is still installing on origin but it is creeping (literally). i don't know what the problem is, i even thought i should check for viruses but i can't do anything until all the expansion and stuff packs download into origin

Offline MrsFlynn

• Admin Assistant
  • Administrator
  • Watcher
« Reply #11 on: September 06, 2020, 11:26:12 PM »
I'm happy to hear you still have your Sims 3 folder saved to your desktop. :)

Sims 3 is a huge download and may take awhile to download and install. I've heard that it can take any where from a few hours to a few days depending on your download speed and internet connection.

Offline Peanuts61

• Occult
« Reply #12 on: September 06, 2020, 11:43:25 PM »
i think i'm gonna call it a night and start fresh with a cup of coffee to calm me down. lol goodnight mrs. flynn thanks for helping me!

Offline MrsFlynn

• Admin Assistant
  • Administrator
  • Watcher
« Reply #13 on: September 06, 2020, 11:47:08 PM »
You might try letting it download and install overnight?  This is what we do when we've got big games to download and install. Though I understand if you'd rather not.

Getting a fresh start tomorrow morning after coffee sounds like a great idea!!

You're welcome, I'm happy to help. :)

~ Goodnight.