Author Topic: Graphics Help ~ GTX1060 and cap frame rate?  (Read 1823 times)

Offline simsonata

• Llama Wrangler
Graphics Help ~ GTX1060 and cap frame rate?
« on: September 15, 2020, 05:18:03 PM »
Got a new computer and wondering how do I get my graphics card recognized and cap the frame rate? I seem to have two cards, Intel(R) UHD Graphics 630 and Nvidia GeForce GTX 1060 6GB. I've tried to do it myself from tutorials but I'm not techy at the best of times and when I click on the Nvidia control panel app it says 'Nvidia display settings are not available you are not currently using a display attached to an Nvidia GPU'. Can anybody help?

Offline MrsFlynn

• Admin Assistant
  • Administrator
  • Watcher
Re: Graphics Help ~ GTX1060 and cap frame rate?
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2020, 08:00:56 PM »
There's a zip file attached to the post linked below that has your GTX1060 graphics card added to the files.

How-To: Get Sims 3 to Recognize a New Graphics Card
https://www.carls-sims-4-guide.com/forum/index.php?topic=26753.msg446248#msg446248

You can grab the file and install it. That should help get your GTX1060 graphic card to work.

You may have to make sure the game recognizes the GTX card instead of the Intel UHD Graphics 630 chip. It's better to use the dedicated video card rather than the graphics chip.

Here's an article that can help with computers that have dual graphics
https://crinrict.com/blog/2019/05/setting-up-a-gaming-profile-for-your-graphics-card.html

As for capping frame rate. I'm not sure I can help with that. I've never had any luck with trying to cap my frame rate, but I know others do by using various different programs.

Here's some FPS Tips -
https://www.carls-sims-4-guide.com/forum/index.php?topic=27183.msg450945#msg450945

You may have better luck asking over at AHQ Sims 3 Tech Help Board about that. If you'd rather, you can also ask Puzzlezaddict over at AHQ for her help in getting the graphics card recognized. The way she explains it may be easier to understand. :)

AHQ's Sims Tech Help Board:
https://answers.ea.com/t5/Technical-Issues-PC/bd-p/the-sims-3

Sign in with your EA account, click the New Topic button, up near the top of the board, to make a new post.
Welcome!! We hope you enjoy the forum!!  Thank you for visiting!!
–Need Help? Check our Member FAQs Here. * –Read and follow the Forum Rules, please! *

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline simsonata

• Llama Wrangler
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2020, 08:15:30 PM »
Thank you! I'll go through the links you gave me and if I'm still stuck I'll try AHQ. Thanks for your help   ;D

Offline simsonata

• Llama Wrangler
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2020, 05:44:23 PM »
Hi, I'm back.

I just have a few small questions about the instructions in the linked post under the 'Information on Attached Zipped Graphics Files' heading and also for a friend. The link in 1. isn't working but I'm assuming its the GTX1660Ti.zip file attached to the post right? Secondly, do I have to delete all the files and folders in the Bin (see attached) and just leave the extracted contents of the zip file (GraphicsCards.sgr and GraphicsRules.sgr)? And last, as long as the Config.log file says 'Found: 1, Matched: 1' then its recognized right? (aside from handling the dual card issue I mean). I'm asking that because both of us only got the 'Unrecognized Video Card' warning the first time we went into the game after downloading and then no more and I think it does keep appearing for other people??? So we won't know by that.

Also, my friend has Intel(R) HD Graphics 630 and Nvidia GeForce 940MX cards. She can't use the same GTX1660Ti.zip file as me right? We really don't understand graphics cards at all but they're not the same series or something? So she can't use the shortcut right?

Thank you for your help and sorry for bothering you again!

Offline MrsFlynn

• Admin Assistant
  • Administrator
  • Watcher
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2020, 06:29:54 PM »
I'm not sure what you mean by the link to the GTX1660Ti.zip file isn't working. Just checked both files and they are downloadable. (left-click file and select Save As)

You only need to delete the GraphicsCards.sgr and GraphicsRules.sgr or better yet, rename them (for backup purposes) and replace them with ones in either zip file.

Yes, if your Config.log file says Found: 1, Matched: 1 then the game should be recognized.

Either file can be used for the Nvidia GeForce 940MX as it's been added to the graphics files.
Welcome!! We hope you enjoy the forum!!  Thank you for visiting!!
–Need Help? Check our Member FAQs Here. * –Read and follow the Forum Rules, please! *