Author Topic: My Horse Ranch/Breeding Program  (Read 240480 times)

Offline Deme

• Immortal
Re: My Horse Ranch/Breeding Program
« Reply #50 on: October 23, 2011, 08:37:59 AM »
By the way... Has anyone worked out a really solid strategy for international contest wins? My poor maxxed-in-all stallion keeps getting 2nd place at best, and I'm trying an internation competition a night, basically.
Stories In Progress:
The Avyan Immortal Dynasty

MaryMarsh

« Reply #51 on: October 23, 2011, 08:51:01 AM »
Good morning, dear friends, and thank you for your kind comments.

Just before I went to bed last night I got in two races with Scenic at the International level -- he won both of them! I think the key might be to use 'Take Risks' for half the race, then select 'Go for Broke.' I did that for each race last night. Also, I spent no time whatsoever improving his moodlets before the races and it made no difference whatsoever. But there are a lot of variables; for instance, my human sim is now at Jockey level (Lifetime Wish) and she's a Rider of Legends (below is the trophy I recieved for achieving that status).

By marylcmarsh at 2011-10-23

I didn't know what else to do with the darned thing, so I parked it at the entrance to the upper deck of my barn. Saracen Arabian Farm is a no-nonsence operation; thus, things like stutues seem a bit incongruous.

Scenic is edging ever closer to becoming a Racing Champion and Jumping Star (goals within his Jumping and Racing Skills). Once he achieves either the value of his foals will go way up). For now, we're concentrating on competitions and not breeding any new foals. I've got about 20K weekly coming in from the two owned properties (Equestrian Center and Equestrian Training Facility) and I'm making about 4K daily in competition prize money, which all told is more than sufficient.

Banksia ... best foal? They're all best foals  :D Something inside me wrenches a bit whenever I have sell one. I think at some point I will have to move one of the foals out on his own, then go into Edit Town and create a second ranch (annex) where I can raise offspring of my original animals. It kind of breaks my heart that we cannot have larger lots and MORE horses.

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline Lizzy

• Townie
« Reply #52 on: October 23, 2011, 08:56:37 AM »
Lizzy ... after much experimentation I trigger foals to adult status, then train them until their status is 'trained.' Also, I usually work with the foals sufficiently to give them three positive traits. When this is done I sell them. I realize that I could get much more by training their racing and jumping skills to 10, but I've come to the conclusion this isn't cost effective based on my current operations. With the limitation of having only six pets on a lot, I've got to turn my foals quickly so I can keep my broodmares producing regularly. My 'adult' foals sell on average for 11K.

---------------------

I've created a blog for my Sim farm at http://saracenfarm.blogspot.com/

I hope a lot of us committed horsepeople will create blogs so we can continue to follow each other.

Love your blog, I will create my blog tonight :D I'm thinking of making every successful Unicorn foal, a downloadable adult horse on my blog.

And thanks for the info  ;D

I can't find how to stop ageing?  When I went into options to try i found the 'enable ageing' is ticked and grayed out so I can't untick it?

Lizzy, I have wondered if it's an options to build a new house in the corner and delete the original house? [moving across all fittings first of course]  I haven't tried it so don't know, but would be interested to find hear if anyone has?

Try setting the lifespan at Epic before enabling?  (Not sure if that helps tho)
And i probably could relocate the house but building a entire new lot was more fun  :P Took me 3 hours haha.

That trophy is really cool MaryMarsh!

Online Metropolis Man

• Tournament/Dynasty Coordinator
  • Administrator
  • Watcher
« Reply #53 on: October 23, 2011, 09:03:35 AM »
Also, I spent no time whatsoever improving his moodlets before the races and it made no difference whatsoever.

Definitely. I often play with static needs if I'm testing for guide articles and there's no question that moodlets are irrelevant.

Offline Lesleyxxx

• Townie
  • Closest possible to real me!
« Reply #54 on: October 23, 2011, 09:23:26 AM »
3 things:

1]  I was finally able to untick ageing. No idea what I did different but it wasn't grayed out this time.

2] I have a foal YAY  ;D

3] I still haven't been able to get into a race, or to riding lessons either.  My sim is way too easily distracted. I may have to stop free well to get this done!

MaryMarsh

« Reply #55 on: October 23, 2011, 09:30:01 AM »
Leslie ... Congratulations on the new baby ... yeay!!!

About International Wins ... for the second day in a row Scenic pulled off back-to-back racing wins. Strategy: 'Take Risks' for first half of race, 'Go for Broke' during second half.

Abbie Just picked up a first celebrity star, even though she has no human friends and has never been invited to a party.  :-\ More important, she just made Equestrian Champian (part of Riding skill) which means she'll get more prize money. Her only riding skill component remaining is Mustang Master, and needs to adopt only one more wild horse.

Saracen Arabian Farms trophy room is beginning to look like the real deal.

This is sooooooooo fun!

Offline Deme

• Immortal
« Reply #56 on: October 23, 2011, 09:34:11 AM »
Leslie ... Congratulations on the new baby ... yeay!!!

About International Wins ... for the second day in a row Scenic pulled off back-to-back racing wins. Strategy: 'Take Risks' for first half of race, 'Go for Broke' during second half.

Abbie Just picked up a first celebrity star, even though she has no human friends and has never been invited to a party.  :-\ More important, she just made Equestrian Champian (part of Riding skill) which means she'll get more prize money. Her only riding skill component remaining is Mustang Master, and needs to adopt only one more wild horse.

This is sooooooooo fun!

I tried your strategy on an International Racing competition, and it worked (1 down!) -- but it didn't work for jumping. It did get me to second, so I suspect it has something to do with the number of times you've tried that sort of competition: I've done lots of racing competitions, but relatively few jumping ones. Just an idea.

I'm currently trying to get Equestrian Champion and my three internationals done on my test file -- I've got Mustang Master and Horse Friend (or whatever). It looks reasonably doable as a supermax, if you're willing to be REALLY busy and maybe use moodlet manager/ motive mobile like freaking crazy.
Stories In Progress:

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

MaryMarsh

« Reply #57 on: October 23, 2011, 10:24:57 AM »
I tried your strategy on an International Racing competition, and it worked (1 down!) -- but it didn't work for jumping.

Way to go, Deme!!!

My International Cross Country and Show Jumping wins were done with 'Go for Broke' during the entire race, but then Scenic had at least 10 wins under his belt at the advanced level.

My race strategy is not fool proof, but it seems pretty solid. Of six International races using this strategy, Scenic has won five.

Offline Deme

• Immortal
« Reply #58 on: October 23, 2011, 10:29:43 AM »
Hm. I'll switch the advanced races to Jumping for a while, then -- I usually enter one international (to keep trying for that win) and one advanced (to be sure to keep making progress on the 20 -- my sim is still a young adult and halfway there!) an evening. My horse started as a racer, so he's primarily been in races so far. Anyway, I'll try your strategy for the jumping and cross-country, too, since your strategies have worked for me so far! I'll probably settle down and raise a back-up horse and a kid soon.
Stories In Progress:

MaryMarsh

« Reply #59 on: October 23, 2011, 11:23:50 AM »
Putting Scenic through his paces during a weekend with no competition.

Offline simfulicious

• Watcher
  • Origin ID: petunia302007
    • Stories By Simfulicious
« Reply #60 on: October 23, 2011, 11:55:57 AM »
This thread is so awesome that it has inspired me to create my own ranch, as well.  I tried to do it yesterday without using any money cheats, but it was taking a really long time to get enough money coming in to build a house.  So I decided to start from scratch today, and using just shy of $100,000 have come up with this:

I will be raising Appaloosa's (we are in Appaloosa Plains after all) and have created Apache as the stallion and two mares:  Apricot and Silver.

The barn is attached to the house, hopefully this will make things go a little faster.

Does anyone have any pointers on breeding?  My horses were taking forever to get in their stalls to "try for a foal", and I don't think it's because of the space, but because the second horse is following behind the first a little closely, thus getting in the way of the door opening for the first horse.  Eventually they either work it out, or the interaction stops and I have to start over.

VampirePlasma

« Reply #61 on: October 23, 2011, 11:58:30 AM »
I may just have to try this...

MaryMarsh

« Reply #62 on: October 23, 2011, 12:23:45 PM »
simfulicious ... I really like your layout with the attached barn. My parents had a friend who did much the same thing -- house above and barn below. I always liked the concept.

Far as getting horses into stalls for breeding, it's simply hit or miss. Mine do the same thing and I've yet to figure a way around it. Seems to work best when you start your animals about 4 horse lengths away from the stall, which kind of gives them space to work out the traffic pattern. I've kind of accepted the problem and chock it up to being more like real life. During breeding on our real farm I used to hold the mares while my dad brought the stallion for servicing. Things didn't always go smoothly there either. Some mares were kickers and needed to have their rear legs hobbled. Others needed a bit of foreplay --socializing-- before they'd accept a stallion (truly!). Just gotta be patient.

Offline Lesleyxxx

• Townie
« Reply #63 on: October 23, 2011, 12:27:51 PM »
The first pair to mate took about 6 tries with me repeatedly clicking 'try for a foal' before they successfully entered the stall.   Then the whole stall is blocked out, straw scatters in all directions, heart shaped red and pink confete rains on them, then the baby music and it's done. Next day your sim gets the warning about the mare being pregnant and to prepare for a foal.

The second pair [same stallion with the other mare] did it all on their own with no help from me.  I saw them grooming and just observed.. and it went like clockwork.  So I'm awaiting the patter of the 2nd lot of tiny hooves now.

As for your ranch, it's lovely!  

I have a question on the track in the right corner. You've put several sets of posts.  Is that how it should be? I've no horse knowledge so wondering now if I should have done something like that?

MaryMarsh

« Reply #64 on: October 23, 2011, 12:35:30 PM »

I have a question on the track in the right corner. You've put several sets of posts.  Is that how it should be?

Yup, you need four pairs of posts to force your horses to run a circuit.

Offline simfulicious

• Watcher
« Reply #65 on: October 23, 2011, 12:36:03 PM »
@lesley:  Do mean the red posts?  Those are the racing posts...you should have 4 like that so that the horse will run around in a circle, like they would be doing at the track.

Offline Deme

• Immortal
« Reply #66 on: October 23, 2011, 12:49:25 PM »
But you can still train fine with just one -- I've done it to save space, and it works out well enough, though it's far less cool-looking.
Stories In Progress:

MaryMarsh

« Reply #67 on: October 23, 2011, 12:53:31 PM »
I think MetropolitanMan mentioned it in his guide, but it's worth repeating; you don't actually need the racing posts at all. So long as you're training over the advanced jumps (where horses gallop) they will also improve their racing skill. It may be just a wee bit slower than running a flat track, but where space is an issue it's an effective alternative.

Offline samoht04

• Building Contest Coordinator
  • Global Moderator
  • Watcher
« Reply #68 on: October 23, 2011, 12:55:37 PM »
Do Horses have Romantic Interactions? I'm just wondering because I made my Horses in CAS and it says they are Litter Mates or whatever the name is. So I'm wondering if that is a problem or not? At the moment I am training my Horses. I have a Brother and Sister running the Ranch. It ended up quite posh and I made a recreation field with loads of those heathery type plants (The Yellow, Pink and Blue ones) Yellow was base, Pink was LN and Blue was Pets, low lying. So it looks like a meadow. I have a big area for training but they were all standing there so I couldn't add that stuff. The Brother is level 7 currently, his Sister is Level 4. So far the Stallion is the best trained.
Please read the Forum Rules![/center]

Offline Lesleyxxx

• Townie
« Reply #69 on: October 23, 2011, 01:00:29 PM »
Ok so more would work better for racing. At the moment the horses just race randomly around in any direction. If I wanted them to run a circuit would I just need start and end poles or would they be needed for each bend also?

I definatly have space for it so I just give it a go. :D

Latest picture of Mare & foal, Ginger and Flame [his dad is Blaze]

MaryMarsh

« Reply #70 on: October 23, 2011, 01:10:52 PM »
samoht04 ... Being littler mates is no hindrance to breeding. I created Scenic and Sabrina in CAS and they've had no reluctance in breeding.

Lesley ... I've tried it with two and four pairs of posts. With two pairs the horses simply run up and back. I settled on four pairs because I had the space and it seemed more efficient to have the horses run a longer distance. And, as Deme said, it simply looks cooler.

Offline Lizzy

• Townie
« Reply #71 on: October 23, 2011, 01:46:06 PM »
Pfff it's really hard to sell my unicorns, i have 3 crossbreeds now, all female... Time to sell one  >:(

Offline simfulicious

• Watcher
« Reply #72 on: October 23, 2011, 02:11:19 PM »
I have just started a blog about my farm.  There is not much there besides framework at this point, but if you want to see it, it can be found here.

Once it is a little more set up on the blog (which means I actually have to play my farm), I think I will start a thread on the project story board.

MaryMarsh

« Reply #73 on: October 23, 2011, 02:48:21 PM »
simfulicious ... Nicely done! I especially like that you enumerated your goals. I wasn't so put together when I started.

Offline simfulicious

• Watcher
« Reply #74 on: October 23, 2011, 03:00:01 PM »
Thank you, Mary.  I am only more organized because you shared what you were doing with all of us, and that led to my inspiration.