Author Topic: My Horse Ranch/Breeding Program  (Read 327080 times)

Dellena

Re: My Horse Ranch/Breeding Program
« Reply #465 on: July 08, 2013, 09:36:34 AM »
I like it too.  I was really curious how the foal would turn out since both parents have LittleV coats which have a lot of layers.  I'll have a look at him later and see how many layers he inherited in his coat.  A couple more sim days and he'll age up.  Will post another picture of him then.  He'll be trained enough to remove the Untrained trait and then sold.  For now, I'll only be keeping the females to increase the breeding stock since I have two good studs.

Offline lovelove1716

• Nooboo
« Reply #466 on: July 08, 2013, 05:10:08 PM »
Can someone PLEASE help me make my very own horse breeding ranch. I have asked everyone and no one will come to my rescue!  :'( I am desperately trying to create an amazing ranch, and i'm having ALOT of problems. PLEASE PLEASE help someone!!!!

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Dellena

« Reply #467 on: July 08, 2013, 05:14:40 PM »
Can you give me details on what problems you're having?

Offline samoht04

• Building Contest Coordinator
  • Global Moderator
  • Watcher
« Reply #468 on: July 08, 2013, 05:33:00 PM »
Can someone PLEASE help me make my very own horse breeding ranch. I have asked everyone and no one will come to my rescue!  :'( I am desperately trying to create an amazing ranch, and i'm having ALOT of problems. PLEASE PLEASE help someone!!!!

Welcome to the forum! Have you read through this entire thread? Loads of people have shared their experiences of running a ranch in this thread.  :)
Please read the Forum Rules![/center]

Offline modernmythics12

• Nooboo
« Reply #469 on: July 09, 2013, 01:00:49 AM »
Ohai!

Um. Yeah. I kinda joined this forum for this, since this came up in a google search and I was like, "Ooo!" I read through this whole thing and well I just HAD to do my own ranch breeding program thing. I'm debating on if I should post my progress on this or not, but eh. Ill probably do it anyways :P

Dellena

« Reply #470 on: July 09, 2013, 06:47:24 AM »
Here's Apollo all grown up.

He already had Racing 8.  After training him to remove the untrained trait, he sold for 8,212.  Not too bad.  This winter I'll cross Crimson with Big Red and then Parsifal with Mandy.  Looking forward to the results.  But first, Big Red has a lot of races to win.

Offline Devin

• Occult
« Reply #471 on: July 09, 2013, 11:42:09 AM »
He's absolutely gorgeous, Dellena.

You guys have inspired me. I'm going to give another go to doing a horse ranch hopefully this evening. I've been experimenting with different skills and I would very much like to try to do a family where the horses and gardening/nectarmaking are at the heart of the sim's operation, sort of like MaryMarsh did with one of her ranches. I just need to choose a town to do this in.

Expanded through Seasons, which town would you consider to be the best for horse ranching (question for anybody, not just Dellena)?

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Dellena

« Reply #472 on: July 09, 2013, 05:21:41 PM »
Appaloosa plains is already set up for horses so I went there.  Plus there's some nice big lots.  Make sure you fence the garden so the horses can't get to it or they will eat the plants, like deer.  Horses can't use single gates, only doubles.

Offline Devin

• Occult
« Reply #473 on: July 09, 2013, 07:03:12 PM »
Yeah, I have zombie problems. I'm used to using the fences for my gardens. And my whole yards. Heck, my sims ought to carry a fence with them to put up everywhere they go because I hate having them turned into zombies lol

I'm working in Appaloosa Plains right now (:

Dellena

« Reply #474 on: July 09, 2013, 07:21:41 PM »
I play with a set lunar phase cause I hate the zombies.  You should have the option, native, to turn them off just like witches, fairies, etc.  I'm sure there's a mod for them but I just use a set lunar cycle so it's never full.

Offline Devin

• Occult
« Reply #475 on: July 09, 2013, 09:52:53 PM »
I've had them before when the moon wasn't full, but I think that was a bug that was associated with World Adventures, because that's always where it starts. I don't want or need the full moon anyway so I think I'll try to give that a try. The only way I've seen to really reduce them involves testingcheats.

brappl

« Reply #476 on: July 10, 2013, 09:02:27 AM »
Dellena, your shots of your horses and ranch are incredible!!  I've played a horse in my games off and on but am now going into Horse Ranch/Breeding mode.  This looks like so much fun.  Thank you for sharing!!

Dellena

« Reply #477 on: July 10, 2013, 10:08:34 AM »
The challenge is in breeding the best foals possible for selling (especially for The Jockey LTW) so it matters about the skill levels and racing records of the breeding parents.  And there's real work involved in the initial training of a new foal.  Fast is the easiest trait to learn - so ideally you'd like the foal born with two other traits.  Obedient is a harder one.  Then once the foal ages up, there's 2-3 days riding him/her to remove the Untrained trait.  So there's some real planning of time involved.  Especially if you're also racing another horse each day like I do.  I do cheat sometimes because the game can get glitchy when you're trying to saddle and mount a horse and get it going.  So I'll usually Teleport the horse and rider to outside the rabbit hole, then saddle and mount and enter the building.  The time window for entering competitions is pretty small so delays due to game glitches can be annoying.

Dellena

« Reply #478 on: July 11, 2013, 06:43:16 PM »
We're approaching 100,000 views on this thread.  Is that a record for the forums here?

Dellena

« Reply #479 on: July 13, 2013, 04:10:12 PM »
Fireball

Traits: Obedient, Agile, Untrained (nice that he was born with Obedient)
Out of Crimson and Parsifal
He has a really interesting spot on his back.

anything