Author Topic: My Horse Ranch/Breeding Program  (Read 327324 times)

Dellena

Re: My Horse Ranch/Breeding Program
« Reply #480 on: July 14, 2013, 04:35:14 AM »
Cyana

Traits: Neat, Brave, Untrained
Out of Mandy and Parsifal (Tip: Don't have your sim in the barn when the stud is doing his business with more than one mare.  My sim got the 'witness betrayal' moodlet LOL)

Offline Miss Estella

• Llama Wrangler
  • ❤ Sims
« Reply #481 on: July 16, 2013, 11:29:56 PM »
Your foals are lovely, Dellena! The coats are incredibly realistic. Please keep sharing your ranch updates, I find them really nice to read since I don't get a lot of sim time in anymore.

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline Abyss

• Nooboo
« Reply #482 on: July 26, 2013, 10:39:49 AM »
I've been having sims 3 a little while now and started breeding my own breed right away (basing it on the horse breed in my fictional novel world :D ) and I find this ranch of yours SO INSPIRATIONAL! What a great dedication to your cause and what a beautiful horses! I'll love to read more of this and I'll definitely be following your progress. I'd love to make a post to describe my own breeding program some day. Maybe I will. Just need some pics first.

I has something to ask as well. I have three separate families (grandfather, still adult though and grandson + son and his family minus that one living with his grandfather + a brother of the grandfather) and they all participate on the breeding. I find it very helpful, since you cant register a new breed in sims 3 like you could in sims 2, that families breed "on their own" while you are playing someone else and foals are a mix of those estimated "parents" with their colorings and markings and traits, but without actually being related. I tend to call those foals "imported ones", and I like to think that they are imported to those families. Then I look who's the best pic, adopt it (adopt from the neighbor) to a suitable family (one of three) and sell the others when they are adult (sometimes I take my time training them, usually don't).

But, I like to make considered mixings as well. My problem is, the breed is not so good with other horses and they tend to fight a lot. I don't have time to make them like each others and that's why my progress in my breeding isn't going as smoothly as possible. I want to have many generations leading to my foundation horses, but as I told, those little **s tend to dislike each others. They hardly ever fight though, they just don't get along good enough to breed. And I don't want them to be too friendly! They are supposed to be a tough breed, "one Sim's horse" and an excellent horse for dedicated, skillful Sim. They get along in herd, but are dominant and ofte ornery and aggressive too. (To explain this; in my novel world they are used as warhorses. I wanted to keep their characteristics and looks even thought in real or Sim world there is no need for aggressive warhorses).

So, is there a code in which you can make them mate without actually liking each others so much?

Dellena

« Reply #483 on: July 27, 2013, 05:33:03 AM »
The easiest solution, in my mind, would be to cheat their relationship just before breeding.  After you know the mare is pregnant, you could return their relationship to what it was before.  The Sims 3 isn't terribly realistic when it comes to animal breeding.  In real life when the female is ready, so are the boys and relationship doesn't enter into the equation.  So just ignore the mechanics of relationship.  Cheat it to allow the breeding.  If you like, think of it as the female coming into season and of course the male being very interested.  Once she's out of season, the relationship returns to normal.

As for Darcy Farm, Cyana was sold at a discount rate to a family friend of the Darcy's.  Fireball was sold at auction.  Mr. Darcy is keeping an eye out for a potential racing filly or two.

The breeding, for now, is delayed as the children are ageing up and going to university.  So I'm having to play that out.  I'm trying to finish Big Red's racing career (Racing Champion) so then I can put him to stud.

Offline Abyss

• Nooboo
« Reply #484 on: July 27, 2013, 04:00:05 PM »
Thanks, Dellena. I was pretty sure testingcheatsenabled is the only way, and so be it, then. I'm just so suspicious when it comes to that cheat; it tends to cause problems every now and then.

I'm having a huge move operation going on and soon you'll get some pics of my new ranch! I'll also build those two smaller "supportive ranches" run by breeders brother and son. In my ranches we focus mainly on racing, since "Steeds of Abyss" are very strong in build and therefore jumping just doesn't seem "right". Disappointed there is no dressage since it would be the "right" choice for a warhorse, but I tend to role play some dressage practicing simply mount -> trot and take pics to show off the movement, structure and co-operation between the horse and the rider.

Can't wait to move into a new lot and breed some very interesting combinations. I'm intending to breed Perkele ,"**", son of Noitavaino, "Witchhunt" (one of two foundations stallions, racing horse) to a promising young imported mare Korppi, "Raven". I have also considered breeding Korppi with Noitavaino. Korppi has a small color error on her forehead, a small greyish marking which is not preferred, but otherwise she is promising. Noitavaino has passed on his racing abilities and characteristics very nicely, but this would be Perkele's first try. I'm not sure whether he will be as good passing on his good genes as his father.

If one of those combinations would produce a coal black filly, preferred to have high racing abilities from the start as well as ornery, brave and fast traits, she would be mated with Hirvas, a very handsome young imported stallion.

----

EDIT: Ok, managed to get some screencaps of my new main ranch before moving in.

Here's the house and the pond. On the left you can see a bit of the training ground.

Here's from different angle. You can see training grounds better. Also, you can see our pasture, with which I decided to go as natural as possible. Much free space to roam with natural surroundings.

Stables can be seen here. Currently I have permanent places for five horses, but I have only four in the main family at the moment; foundation stallion Noitavaino, foundation mare Hellä, imported mare Korppi and stallion Perkele, sired by Noitavaino out from Hellä.

I try to keep the amount of permanent horses in this ranch on three, and that means that some horses are to be sold after they have done their part in my breeding program. Noitavaino, Hellä and Perkele are not to be sold. However, I'm open to the possibility that I may someday keep some foal if it's promising enough. Having 4 permanent horses I still have two slots for new foals and temporary guests.

Oh, and here you can see Perkele and Noitavaino (sorry about the negative relationship-information there... gonna take better pics when I'm in the new ranch). They both represent excellent Steed of Abyss, though Perkele still has his long mane. Nowadays it's cutted like Noitavaino's, for Perkele is now racing actively. Steed of Abyss is desired to have deep black colour, allthough deep grey is also accepted, without any markings whatsoever. Coat is short, pasterns have long coat (not the slightest clue how you say that in English for real, but you get the idea). Horses are strong in build, muscular and have strong chest. Head is held high, neck is thick. Profile of the head is convex, from front head is wide. Ears are somewhat small. Differences in bone structure and muscularity between sexes are not distinguisable. Mane can be kept long, racing horse's manes are usually clipped short. Some are born with short mane. Characteristics include ornery and somewhat temperament nature, but horses must be brave and may never be out of control or too disobedient. Too aggressive horses are not used for breeding. In right hands they make excellent and active horses, who are loving towards their owners. Tend to bond best with just one or two sims and require experienced owners. Go along in herd, but are dominant and stallions may have disagreements with each others. Mares tend their foals, however we have had some problems with low nursing instinct.

From left to right, Perkele and Noitavaino.

Dellena

« Reply #485 on: July 30, 2013, 05:04:44 AM »
Suggestion for your pond.  Use one of the stone terrain paints for the inside of the pond.  Makes them look more realistic.  See some that EA have done around your world. :)

Offline Abyss

• Nooboo
« Reply #486 on: July 30, 2013, 06:25:37 AM »
Thanks, gonna try that.

Did some changes in our training grounds and build a jumping course to the next lot and changed it to horse ranch community lot. Now we can concentrate both racing and jumping.

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline Nancy1989

• Llama Wrangler
« Reply #487 on: August 01, 2013, 01:09:45 AM »
I've also started up a ranching household, inspired by this thread! Which currently holds only one Sim and three horses. Later on, a husband will be added followed by children. It's been a while since I really played with horses in the Sims 3 what with all the new expansions that came out since. So, we'll start slow.  :P
But! Here's my go at it.

Jewels on Board currently focusses on the training of its horses in the disciplines of jumping and racing. As soon as the herd has acquired some prestige (Or maybe sooner as I just love the foals) we will begin breeding our stallion to our two mares. Our stallion, Bucephalus, is a dappled grey Arabian with a brave and steady disposition. He is fast and agile, currently jumping heights of 1.10m but we aim to train him to jump higher. We also seek to train him for racing but jumping is his main priority at this point.

Next up is our first broodmare, Visenya. She is a stunning flaxen chestnut Arabian. We expect her to excel in both disciplines, though, we also have made jumping her first priority. Her temperament tends to be a little fiery and mischievous. Visenya's owner often laughs at her playful nature.

(I wish dressage was a discipline in the Sims...I mean look at her!)

And last but not least, our second broodmare Rhaenys. An Arabian of a deep liver chestnut colour. Her preference leans towards racing, so that will be her first priority and jumping will be her second. Out of our three horses, she is the fastest on the track and the most obedient.

As shown on the photo's, we strive for the traditional Arabian appearance. Though, we prefer a more gradual wedge to the head, shunning the, what we call, boomerang faces.

And lastly, a little tour of the property.

Well that was it. I have yet to furnish the inside of the house, but I got bored with all the building so I'm just playing outside for a while now.  :P So I'll post that later some time after I've gotten to it.

And here's one image extra as I had only one picture left before reaching the limit. Might as well use that up too. x)

Verena and Bucephalus.

Offline Abyss

• Nooboo
« Reply #488 on: August 01, 2013, 04:07:57 AM »
Very nice! I love the traditional look of your arabians, that's the way I like them! Very promisin. Please keep us (ME! :D ) updated!

I actually started a blog considering my own breeding program. I find it a bit frightening that most of the pages I find about Sims3 horse breeding are highly modified to make the horses very realistic and all. I have no time to do that, I don't want to use custom content (bad memories) and most of all I really just don't feel that I want to use my playing time modifying pictures or something. That's one of the reasons why I don't know whether I actually want to join Equus-Sims or not, the other being that I want to let people know about my breeding "real time", and real time in Sims means sometimes like two foals to adults per day.

Nevertheless, if someone is interested in non-modifief pictures and much talking about virtual horse breeding and everything going as real-time as possible, feel free to look up www.hunterhorseranch.blogspot.fi. It's all in English but you can contact me in Finnish too if you want to. That's my native lanquage. I try to be realistic and the base story is actually based on true facts, all but the "steed of Abyss"-part. There was numerous typesof warhorses in Europe, but there are no tales whatsoever about a black, red-eyed "demon". The part with the red eyes is real, btw. There is a rare genetic possibility to produce eyes with reddish tint, and the gene combination to cause that is highly resessive.

Pages are not ready yet, for I'm currently away from the game few days, but when I get back I try to take the rest of the pictures and put them up for everyone to see. I have most of the text ready allready, not including staff and facilities-part or links.

Offline Gulliver the cat!

• Townie
« Reply #489 on: August 11, 2013, 10:11:26 PM »
Everyone's ranches and horses are so pretty, it inspired me to make a ranch myself! It is still a work in progress, though (especially the decorating part of it)! But, anyhoodles I have one Sim and 4 horses (2 stallions and 2 mares) with one (or two!) foals on the way.

Caesar is my male American Quarter horse (pardon me having no idea what color my horses are called and me having no clue when it comes to horse terms). His main skill is in jumping. Also, he is the soon-to-be father of the foal(s).

Aurelia is my female American Quarter horse. She is equally talented in both racing and jumping, but she is currently taking a break from skilling since she is my expectant mare.

Venus is my female Irish Draught and her preference is racing.

Napoleon is my main stallion and he is a Thoroughbred. His main skill is jumping.

And finally my ranch!

EDIT: Changed a picture.

Offline colorscapesart

• Nooboo
« Reply #490 on: August 14, 2013, 01:21:04 PM »
Love your ranch!  You really chose beautiful colors, both in horses and in design/architecture!

I'm starting small, play testing with a brother/sister and two horses to get an idea for realistic time frames for training/competing etc.

Everyone is so inspirational!

• Townie
« Reply #491 on: August 14, 2013, 09:20:05 PM »
Love your ranch!  You really chose beautiful colors, both in horses and in design/architecture!

I'm starting small, play testing with a brother/sister and two horses to get an idea for realistic time frames for training/competing etc.

Everyone is so inspirational!

Thank you :), it looks a bit different now.
I hope you have fun with your ranch!

Offline Nancy1989

• Llama Wrangler
« Reply #492 on: August 15, 2013, 02:31:32 AM »
Your ranch looks awesome! I especially like the bit up front with the fountain. It took me a while to figure out what to do with that part of my ranch and I'm still not quite as pleased with it. And don't get me started on decorating. For the better part of the playthrough I just had the downstairs area done. I wish they would make those blueprints tradeable on the exchange so I could download rooms. :p
Anyway, a lot has happened since then. Both my mares had their first foals, though sadly I lost the pictures of the foals. I do have pictures of them as adults though!

So here's Viserys (Bucephalus x Visenya) training to jump. He looks nearly identical to his sire save for the white stripe down the length of his head.

A little love never hurt anyone!

And this is Daena (Bucephalus x Rhaenys) being broken in. Her coat came as a surprise, being significantly lighter than her sire and half-brother. The result, fleabitten grey.

And here's one of all of them together. The two youngsters goofing around while the older horses look on.

Oh! And in the meanwhile she got married! (By now she already has three nooboos as well. I wanted her to have triplets, two boys and a girl....But they seemed adamant on just having one baby at the time (3 times!). Even with the fertility treatment, watching kids tv while listening to the radio as well....*sigh*)

And then the day came that the horses had to be sold and they rode them for the very last time.

But! Not to despair, they both have new babies now. This is Aegon (Bucephalus x Visenya) taking on the cavaletti's together with his dam.

And this is Jahaerys (Bucephalus x Rhaenys) trying to beat his dam in speed.

They get along quite well!

Notice the horse gnome? Yeah....they seem to be spawning like mad on my lot. x)

• Townie
« Reply #493 on: August 15, 2013, 12:32:53 PM »
Thank you! Your ranch looks great! All your horses are so pretty (Daena is stunning)! Also, congrats on her wedding and 3 nooboos! 
This is sort of off topic, but did you get some of your names from A Song of Ice and Fire/ Game of Thrones?

My mare (Aurelia) had her foal (Dae) and she looks kind of weird to me, lol. You can't see this weird tan mark on her nose in this picture, but alas I have already sold her in game so I can't take another picture.

Offline Nancy1989

• Llama Wrangler
« Reply #494 on: August 15, 2013, 01:04:33 PM »
Yes, I love the Targaryen names. They're all Song of Fire and Ice themed except for Bucephalus. I clicked the random names button when I made him and that popped up, which I found rather appropriate given his status as founding stallion.

And I change the colours of the foals immediately after they pop out. I hate the unrealistic EA genetics. Stupid and wrong coloured spots everywhere or weird tail colours....It irritates me to no end. x)

anything