Author Topic: My Horse Ranch/Breeding Program  (Read 327355 times)

Offline Gulliver the cat!

• Townie
Re: My Horse Ranch/Breeding Program
« Reply #495 on: August 15, 2013, 02:40:08 PM »
Okay, glad I am not the only one who thinks the color genetics look bad. I am now going to start doing that (my foals are such eyesores!).
I actually thought about naming my horses with A Song of Ice and Fire theme, but I decided not to for some reason :P.

Offline simlover16

• Townie
    • The Power of Knowledge Immortal Dynasty
« Reply #496 on: November 17, 2013, 01:16:08 PM »
I started a new country family last night, since I haven't done one in awhile, with a mare with an excellent traits, a dog, and a cat. I breed the mare with a stallion at the equestrian center. That stallion was the prefect choice for a baby daddy lol. They produced the cutest foal! Anyways I'm training the mare and I'm considering going full ranch so I'm looking to this thread for help!! Excellent thread!! Maybe I'll post some pics later!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"You're waiting for a train. A train that'll take you far away. You know where you hope this train will take you. But you can't know for sure. Yet it doesn't matter. Now, tell me why?" -Dom Cobb

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline TooLateForMercy

• Nooboo
« Reply #497 on: November 27, 2013, 11:46:07 PM »
Hey! New to the forum, been reading the post for a while now though. You guys have some truly amazing ranches/horses. Once I find out how to do the screen shots and place them up here, I'll show you my herd too! :)

It's taken me about 2 months to design/tweak this property but eventually I have gotten there. My Sim is to purchase the  plot next door so I can have a private training grounds and change the small paddock behind the stables to another open field :)

Just have to figure out how to get the pictures on here, so bear with me! :)

Offline TheKezta

• Nooboo
« Reply #498 on: December 08, 2013, 10:33:02 AM »
Metropolis ... Thank you for the comment. I'm not sure skills correlate directly to wins. My stallion is maxed out in everything except International wins (in racing and jumping); still, he has not yet won an international competition. I kind of rushed things and probably need to have him enter more 'Advanced' competitions.

BTW, here is a photo of my current herd ...

By marylcmarsh at 2011-10-21

Left to right: Invictus (son of Scenic and Havivi), Scenic (my breeding stallion), Medina (brood mare), Havivi (brood mare), and Sabrina (brood mare).

Invictus is about to be sold. Medina and Sabrina are awaiting arrival of their next foals.

I think EA has done a marvelous job in programming the horses. From these, you can see they really have the classic Arabian look about them. I also like that the foals tend to pick up the conformation and coloring of their dam and sire. All this really adds to enjoyment of the game for me.

Wow! The are cute! Have been breeding horses myself and am pleased with the outcome. I bred two horses and the foal, (because the mum was black and the dad was light brown) is half black half brown.

Offline EquineSim

• Llama Wrangler
« Reply #499 on: January 12, 2014, 04:08:06 AM »
post some more pictures I need inspiration

Offline Mahmeya

• Townie
« Reply #500 on: January 13, 2014, 10:34:13 AM »
post some more pictures I need inspiration
Not sure how much it'll inspire you, but I'll try. It's not an attempt to make horse breeding in as big scale as others here, but just a family with horses.
So, here comes the ultimate Animal Band. I guess I should try going play for tips with them.

Left to right: Bolt (father of the foal), Rex, Fred, Bandito and his mother - wild horse from Appaloosa plains.
I really like Bandito's leg coloring: Front right and back left black as father, other two white like mother.

Offline SnowPrint

• Nooboo
« Reply #501 on: February 22, 2014, 03:30:53 PM »
How am I able to sell my horses and make a ranch. I haven't been able to figure it out. Please help

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline Miss Estella

• Llama Wrangler
  • ❤ Sims
« Reply #502 on: February 23, 2014, 10:52:12 AM »
Snowprint-

Making a business out of ranching on Sims is always very enjoyable. All you need is your created sim(s) and at least two horses, a male and female. If you are already playing, you can adopt horses using your phone, the newspaper, the computer, or by clicking on the Equestrian Centre and then clicking on 'buy horse'.

Next, you want to purchase a very large property. It has to be quite large because horses have very finicky exercise bars and they often need to run. You can build your sims a little house, and then build a large pasture with the fence tool in build mode. Remember to add a gate, and if you don't want your horses getting out, in live mode click on it and you are able to lock it so pets cannot get through. A barn is optional. Then, simply fill the pasture with horse related items from buy mode. Add a water trough so they can drink, hay bales (you'll have to scatter them in live mode, by the way), a salt lick, a ball toy, perhaps even some of the smaller jumps. You don't have to add any training activities, however, for there are training grounds as long as you aren't in a town like Bridgeport. If you aren't in Appaloosa Plains, I suggest going into edit town and making sure you have the Equestrian Center and a Training Facility (there are two).

After you have your setup, go for a ride, learn some riding skill and have your horses start working on their jumping and racing skills. If you want to breed them right away, you are going to need a stall, which is found in buy mode with the other horse objects. Get their relationship up, and the option to try for foal should appear under a romantic option. You might run into some pathing issues, but keep on trying until they get it done. Hopefully you'll hear chimes and a foal will be born in a couple of days. Another option to breed is to ride your mare into the Equestrian Centre and breed her with a stallion there.

Using the Equestrian Centre, you can enter your horse in a variety of competitions at different levels of skill after 5:00 p.m game time. Make sure you have the skill to win, and you can get a nice amount of cash and a cool trophy.

If that foal has grown up or you want to part with a hoofed friend, then just mount the horse in front of the Equestrian Centre and then click on the building. 'Sell Horse' will be an option, and depending on how skilled the horse is you get paid more for selling.

Ranching is one of my favourite things to do in sims and I hope that you enjoy it as well. I also recommend going to the first page of this thread and follow what MaryMarsh has done, for it's very informational if you want to turn horses into a profitable business. Good luck!

~Estella.

Offline SnowPrint

• Nooboo
« Reply #503 on: February 23, 2014, 02:03:09 PM »
Thank you for your help. Now lest see if I can do it lol. :D

Offline CaptainCMD

• Nooboo
« Reply #504 on: February 25, 2014, 03:12:15 PM »
I LOVE the original ranch!  It is fantastic!  I have been working on here with horses but I don't like my setup very much.  Unfortunately I'm one of those folks who has a high appreciation for designs but am not very capable.  This is the best I've seen!  Any chance it is up on the Exchange or available to download somewhere?  I'd love to be able to work with a ranch like this!

Offline bestistbuddy

• Nooboo
« Reply #505 on: March 12, 2014, 03:22:43 PM »
I just read through most of this thread and found it fascinating with lots of great information.  I have just started playing with a horse ranch and love it.  However, I have noticed that all my mares give birth to male foals - I never get a female. Is this normal for the game? It would be much better if the gender was random and produced females instead of always male offspring. Has this happened to anyone else? Is there a way to fix it?  I use twallan's mods (mc/sp etc)  This one issue is really bothering me.
I have sp set to balanced for genders, and my ranch started with an adopted male wild horse, then an adopted female horse. She gave birth to 2 males. Then I adopted another female and she had 2 males (separate times). Another female gave birth to 2 males..... I have sold some so now I have 2 females and 4 males on my ranch. But as you can see, I keep getting males no female births.

Offline EquineSim

• Llama Wrangler
« Reply #506 on: March 22, 2014, 05:26:30 AM »
bestistbuddy- it should be completely random. ive had times where I get fillys for weeks on end, then colts, and so forth. just luck I guess :)

Offline simfulicious

• Watcher
  • Origin ID: petunia302007
    • Stories By Simfulicious
« Reply #507 on: March 22, 2014, 08:38:51 AM »
You should change your mod to random, not balanced.  The same thing was happening to me when I used that mod on balanced...I was only getting boys.

Offline Miss Estella

• Llama Wrangler
  • ❤ Sims
« Reply #508 on: March 22, 2014, 01:05:07 PM »
Yes, when you have Twallan's story progression on and the gender set to balanced, the game looks at the genders of all the horses alive and attempts to balance the population by setting the gender on new pregnancies. Most likely your game is filled with female horses, so the mod might be making your mare have colts to even out the population.

Offline EquineSim

• Llama Wrangler
« Reply #509 on: April 05, 2014, 12:57:55 AM »
now the question is, where has MaryMarsh got to??