Author Topic: Reaper's Genetic Legacy Experiment [Complete]  (Read 328276 times)

Online oshizu

• Watcher
    • oshizu's asylum
Re: Reaper's Genetic Legacy Experiment: Rules of Stubbornness
« Reply #810 on: April 29, 2016, 10:16:14 PM »
Erm, they're both pretty dangerous. Maybe I'll call a cab?

Offline mpart

• A Crazy
  • Immortal
  • The Labelles shall overtake!
« Reply #811 on: April 29, 2016, 11:18:19 PM »

Clarissa ended up getting kidnapped and thrown into a cab. XD

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline LivvieLove

• Queen of Mush
  • Watcher
  • "Sh! Be quiet! The nutters are out to get me."
« Reply #812 on: April 29, 2016, 11:24:07 PM »

Clarissa ended up getting kidnapped and thrown into a cab. XD
The trunk of the cab, that is. XD
The cab had only the finest Keeper driving it... ;) ::)

Offline LivvieLove

• Queen of Mush
  • Watcher
« Reply #813 on: May 01, 2016, 07:59:24 PM »
This is a short little announcement for two little things!
Firstly, I haven't had time to write the next chapter. Usually I'm always writing chapters (always), so I have nothing to give you guys and I probably won't for a little while, unfortunately. Finals have kind of consumed my time, but I'm so excited because I'm so closed to done for this semester. So apologies, it probably won't be until later this week that I get an update up for you guys

Secondly, and I'll bold this part so people can see it easily, I went a little CC crazy recently. Mainly I just discovered a way to convert .sim3packs to .package files, which means all the content I hesitated to put in before is now a cakewalk to put in and take out for different save files! This is fantastic news, but it means my library has expanded by QUITE a bit. Given some coming storylines, a lot of the characters you see will get a makeover that probably won't be mentioned. I hope this isn't too disorienting for everyone, and I apologize for it! Hopefully you'll forgive me! =)

Anyways, that's all I have for you today, I'm sorry there's no great update! Here's a cute picture of Majnun and Anne to make up for it. Don't hate me! ;)

D'aawww, I love these two.

Offline Magpie2012

• Tony Brooks fangirl - Jupiter Reaper fangirl too - Pippin fangirl ALWAYS
  • Watcher
  • Call me Mags or Steph
« Reply #814 on: May 01, 2016, 10:36:45 PM »
D'oh! I didn't even think of Mary and Alec's marriage and subsequently Evie *blush* I did think Shizu meant Tragic coming in to the story (ie via marriage to Aggie)

Sent from my BlackBerry 9720 using Tapatalk
because... Math *Pippin The Most Tenacious Simmer*

Only 2 things are infinite... The universe and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe. *Albert Einstein*

Don't believe all the quotes that have been attributed to me. *Albert Einstein*

I can't ignore ALL of the voices in my head - Some of them actually make sense! *Blayzen*

Offline LivvieLove

• Queen of Mush
  • Watcher
« Reply #815 on: May 02, 2016, 02:07:37 AM »
D'oh! I didn't even think of Mary and Alec's marriage and subsequently Evie *blush* I did think Shizu meant Tragic coming in to the story (ie via marriage to Aggie)

I was confused too! Don't feel bad. That's the hard part about legacies I feel, it's sometimes hard to remember everything about them (granted I know everything about mine, but... I attribute it to the fact that I've spent 3 years in love with this family half to death).

Also, @Magpie2012 aren't you excited for some upcoming present day chapters given a certain other story you read? (Wink, wink, nudge, nudge). ;)
I swear I'm working on it. I have one more essay I have to write. Just one more and I'm done for the semester (holy guacamole, Batman)! Well, minus the three tests I have to take (shrugs).

Offline Magpie2012

• Tony Brooks fangirl - Jupiter Reaper fangirl too - Pippin fangirl ALWAYS
  • Watcher
  • Call me Mags or Steph
« Reply #816 on: May 02, 2016, 06:15:53 AM »
Oh totally excited ;-D but I always am about that particular story lol

because... Math *Pippin The Most Tenacious Simmer*

Only 2 things are infinite... The universe and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe. *Albert Einstein*

Don't believe all the quotes that have been attributed to me. *Albert Einstein*

I can't ignore ALL of the voices in my head - Some of them actually make sense! *Blayzen*

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline LivvieLove

• Queen of Mush
  • Watcher
Re: Reaper's Genetic Legacy Experiment: Interruptions
« Reply #817 on: May 05, 2016, 11:51:35 PM »
This chapter is long overdue and hardly long enough. Apologies everyone. I hope you love it all the same. <3

Interruptions
Anne pursed her lips as she studied the canvas she had started. She had been growing more and more distracted with each passing day. She looked down at her stomach and frowned. Could she be pregnant now? Would they have a little one joining them soon? It had been almost three months since they were married. Perhaps it wasn’t meant to happen yet. Anne smiled to herself; she still loved spending every night with her husband and the intimacy she felt with him was by far the greatest feeling she had ever felt. She would have to learn to be patient.

Anne focused again back on her painting with curiosity. She had so much inspiration since this house had become her home. There was so much life and color here that she wondered how she ever managed to live in her parents’ house for so long without suffocating.
Anne looked over next to her at her paint set when her eyes lingered on the yellow potion that sat next to it. She frowned slightly; Majnun had absolutely insisted she keep one nearby in case she ever needed it. She was growing more comfortable with the idea though. In fact, she was growing very used to the magic in the house with each passing day. She started taking her afternoon readings out into the living room where the fire, who she fondly named Iri, kept her company.
She smiled to herself. A year ago if someone told her she would be standing in a magic house with bottomless paints, a personable fire, and loving husband who also so happened to be the God of Magic she would have told them they were being silly.
Though of course, she thought, she also would’ve taken them seriously and dreamed of that day every night thereafter. Anne took in a deep breath, feeling a little strange for a moment, but she didn’t think much of it. She reached over and picked up a vial of paint when pain shot through her body, knocking the wind out of her.

Her hand let go of the vial and it shattered on the ground. She clutched her arm to her body and sunk to her knees. Her body began shaking violently as she gasped for breath. Her pulse and the desperate sounds of her ragged breathing filled her ears and fogged her mind.
The door to the bedroom flew open and Majnun was there suddenly around her. His voice sounded so far away, “Anne? Anne!” His hands grew hot with magic.
“No…” She panted, shaking her head. “Please… I’m… I’m fine.”
His eyes were narrow with concern, the heat in his hands lingering. “Anne…”
Anne caught her breath once again and practically sighed with relief. The pain began to subside and she swallowed. “There, it’s already passing.” She smiled weakly at him.
Majnun cupped her face and looked at her seriously, “are you ill? Anne, please let me help you.”

“I just got a little shaky. I’m fine.” Anne said quickly. She turned and looked at the vial of paint and her whole face fell. “Oh no…” She whispered sadly. These were the same paints Majnun had gotten her originally. The thought of one being broken made her feel horrible inside.
The glass began to shake until the shards reformed, glowing lightly before refilling as though nothing happened. Anne’s eyes looked quickly back at Majnun who closed his hand quietly after finishing the spell. She threw herself at him and hugged him tightly while laughing a breathy laugh. He pulled her slowly to her feet with him. “What happened, my heart?” He frowned as her hand still had soft tremors running through it. He clutched her hand with his. “I can help you, Anne. Please…”

Anne smiled sweetly at him, but shook her head. "No, no! I'm fine... you worry too much."
Majnun wasn’t prepared to let it drop, but Anne turned away and picked the vial from off the floor. “I’m so sorry, did I interrupt your work?” She asked nervously.
Majnun’s face softened and he shook his head. “Not at all. I was getting tired of listening to Agonin anyways.” He grinned.
Anne’s mind searched for a moment before she nodded, “Agonin.” She said slowly, “the God… of… Order?” She looked at him anxiously hoping she wasn’t wrong. She had been trying her best to get to know all these new things that were unfamiliar to her.
He smiled, “exactly.”
“Do you dislike him?” Anne’s brow furrowed.
He grinned wider, “why do you ask?”

“Your tone and your actions do not align with your words.” Anne tilted her head and looked deep into his eyes. “You talk about him as though he’s the bane of your existence, but you do it with a smile in your eyes.”
“He and I are opposites.” Majnun said thoughtfully. “Yet he’s the closest thing to a friend I can say I have.” He laughed. “We hate each other, and what we each represent… but at the end of the day there is respect that we can each do what the other cannot.”
Anne’s gentle eyes looked at him warmly. “That sounds like an odd friendship, but a nice one.”
Majnun laughed at his wife’s ability to see something good in everything. “I suppose so. Would you like to meet him?”
Anne’s eyes went bigger as she looked at the paint on her skin, “I’m not sure…”
“There’s always another time,” he responded immediately. “You’ll need rest to recover.” He kissed her forehead and pulled away slowly. “It’s probably time he got out of our house anyways, he’s starting to organize my books and it’s irritating me.” He turned and began to walk back for the door.

Anne frowned and looked down at herself, a thought struck her then. “Wait, Majnun.” Her voice was soft.
Majnun turned around in an instant and was back next to her - the amusing thought struck him: like he needed a reason to continue avoiding his adversary. “Yes, my heart?”
She sucked in her cheek and thought about how she wanted to word this.
Majnun tilted her chin up to look at him. “Do I make you nervous?” He asked gently.
“No!” Anne shook her head before resting it against him. “I just don’t want to sound silly.”
His chest shook her slightly as he laughed. “Ravaging, mutinous, sectionized, post mail.” He let the insanity slip out with a grin. “There. Now anything you say couldn’t possibly be sillier than that.”
She laughed, and as the laugh fell out she sucked in her lips thoughtfully. “How soon could we know?” She whispered.
Majnun’s brow furrowed and he looked down at her. “Know what? I have a lot of answers.”
“We’ve been trying for as long as we’ve been married - do you think I could be…?” She looked up at him with hope in her eyes.
Realization dawned on him and he resisted frowning. She wasn’t. He would know immediately. She would feel it immediately. In a bit of irony, he’d almost forgotten that was the intention of spending every night with her like that. He just enjoyed being with her. “I don’t think so, my heart.” He said to her quietly, wanting to let her down gently.
She frowned deeply, and Majnun felt sad looking at her that way. “I…” She started but her voice drifted off. “Is there a way you could check… with magic?” Her arms rested against her stomach, clutching her sides.

Majnun was frowning now. “I would feel it, Anne…” He started quietly.
“Could you check? Please?” Her eyes were big with hope. “Please, my sweet?”
She didn’t need to ask the second time, Majnun already knew he was going to do it, despite there not being a baby. He would check seven times in a row if she asked. He nodded softly, lowering himself to his knees. She removed her crossed arms and rested them on his shoulders. He pressed his hands to her stomach and let his magic gently prod at her. She wasn’t breakable, but he worried for her regardless. There was no response within her to his gentle knocking.
A devious thought ran through his mind that he could use this moment to figure out what those tremors were. He sucked in his cheek hard. No unnecessary magic. He scowled and tried to find any excuse why he should do it anyways.
Well, there were plenty of reasons why he should do it.
There was also one solid reason why he shouldn’t. She said no. He would never cross that boundary with her. Not if he could help it. Essence so help him though, if she grew any worse he might have to break his rule and do it anyways. He would not lose her like that. Not to some pathetic mortal disease he could take away with so little effort that he could do it even while in the grips of insanity while holding off an army. He wouldn’t care if she hated him for it.
He took that thought back immediately. It would pain him if she hated him, but it would utterly destroy him if he lost her.

“Anything?” She looked at him curiously now, hope falling from her eyes as she realized he wasn’t portraying anything one way or the other.
He could plant a child in her right this second, he mused. She would never need to know it wasn’t naturally conceived. He shook the thought from his head. For some stupid reason he decided he would always be honest with her. Why stop now? “I’m sorry, my heart.” He shook his head.
Anne’s face fell, but she took in a breath and immediately nodded. “That’s alright. They must not be ready for us yet.” She reassured herself. “They’ll come when they’re ready and not a moment sooner.”
Majnun pressed his lips to her stomach and stood. “Anne, perhaps you would let me look into the tremors you get?” He pressed his luck.
Anne gave him a sweet smile, “there’s no need, my sweet. It’s gone now.” She kissed him on the cheek and he knew that was the end of that subject. “Besides, don’t you need to get back to Agonin? Apologize to him for me for keeping you.”
“Absolutely not.” Majnun grumbled. “He can wait for an eternity if that’s what you command.” Majnun smiled, he could wait an eternity even if Anne didn’t command it too.
“That is not a nice way to treat guests in our house.” Her voice was light, but it had a warning in it.
Her house, he corrected in his head. She decided what went where. She made the rules. She decorated the walls. She filled the empty void with life. The house was very much hers, and she was very much his. Everything else was just excess in his mind. He conceded. “You win.” He shook his head with amusement. “Are you sure you’re alright?” She would say yes, of course, but he wanted her to say no. He wanted her to ask him to stay and forget the world for a few more minutes - or hours, or heck, even days.
Anne giggled, “I’m fine! Go and take care of your guest.” She tried turning away but he turned her back around and kissed her suddenly. His lips lingering on hers.

He pulled away and smiled, a hand resting on her stomach, “perhaps later we can try again?”
She laughed and shook her head, “Majnun!” She scolded lightly, but there was more laughter in her voice than scolding.
“Is that a yes?” He persisted with a grin.
Anne tried to make her face serious, “not if you keep your guest waiting for much longer.” A smile broke out on her face halfway through. How in the world was she going to parent a child when she couldn’t even keep a straight face scolding her husband?
He grumbled under his breath. “Yes, yes. I’m going… I’m going.” He muttered. He kissed her again briefly before turning and heading for the door. He stopped and looked back at her; his voice started to ask if she was really sure when she shot him a warning glance. He sighed and closed the door behind him.

Anne returned to her painting while smiling. She loved him far more than words can say. Her life was wonderful and filled with happiness and laughter. She had a moment of reflection as she remembered her parents. She had completely vanished from their house without a word. Guilt welled up in her. She didn’t even say goodbye to Daisy. She wondered what they were doing. Did they miss her? Was her mother actually sad that she left? Her smile had completely faded from her face at this point. Her mother probably threw a party at her vanishing. Anne frowned, she knew it was wrong to think of her mother in such a negative light. Her frown deepened. What of her old neighbor? That monster? She clutched her fingers around her paintbrush into a fist.
All of those flowers. How could she ever get over that?
Something touched her and she jolted, turning sharply her eyes were met with Majnun’s bright orange ones. He looked concerned.

“You scared me!” She breathed, her hand over her chest as it usually was when he snuck up on her. Three months and he still did it frequently.
“I said your name when I came in.” He whispered, still concerned. “What’s wrong?”
“Did you leave your guest again?” She changed the subject - she wouldn’t let him wiggle out of doing his job. She wouldn’t be responsible for him disappearing if she could help it.
He chuckled, “I did no such thing. After I was kicked out of my own room that I share with my beautiful wife, I very generously showed him a portal and kicked him through it. That was an hour ago.” His face became serious, “now it’s your turn. Care to let me into the mystery of your thoughts?”
“I guess I was just remembering Daisy and my parents… and that turned into remembering…” She frowned harshly. “Mr. Gaspalt.” Her voice still had venom in it when she said his name. She sighed and looked down. “I wonder what they’re doing?” She asked idly.
Majnun rested his chin down on her shoulder. “Your mother fell into a fit of upset after you left. Your father has been working consistently had not really done much else. Daisy quit the day your mother and the creature tried to lock you in a closet.” He tried to not let his voice fall into something venomous himself. She was angry because her flowers were burned, he was angry that they ever dared to touch his Anne.
“Daisy quit?!” Anne said suddenly. “Her family though! What about her brothers? Her mother? Is she ok?” Anne turned slightly with panic in her eyes.
“She’s well. I hear she’s being courted currently.” He reassured. “You’re welcome to have her over whenever you’d like.”
“Really?” Anne’s eyes lit up. “That would be ok?”

He laughed at the way her face grew so excited. She shifted through emotions faster than the voices in his head drove him insane. “Of course. This is your house, Anne. You do whatever you please, whenever you please. You’re welcome to have anyone by to visit.” He paused. “On the grounds that if they step out of line even an inch towards you that I will dispose of them.”
Anne gave him a look and he shrugged.
“What, do you think I would let anyone mistreat my wife in her own house? Absolutely not.” He hugged her tighter. “If you won’t let me use magic on you then I’ve got to have something to spend my idle magic on.”
She relaxed back into him and her smile slowly faded as they sat in the quiet for a moment. “What about my old neighbor?” Her voice was colder.
Majnun looked at her face intensely. “He’s not going to bother anyone or any flower anymore.” He stated simply. His voice maintained and level.
Anne continued looking forward, she nodded slightly once before speaking again. “What happened to him?”
He tilted her face towards him and his eye softened. “Anne,” his voice was firm. “You know that I love you, and I will not lie to you.”
She looked at him with upset still in her eyes from the earlier thought on her neighbor.
“So I ask that you do not ask questions you don’t want the answers to.” He finished. He kissed her shoulder. “Just know that he is taken care of.”

Anne debated asking again, but she stopped herself. He was right. She didn’t want to know the real answer to it. She couldn’t live with herself if she knew that she had wished someone ill will and it happened. She turned in his embrace and hugged him. “I love you, my sweet.” She whispered into him. She did. She did so much so.
He stroked her hair and his world felt lighter. “I love you too, my heart.” He rested his cheek against her head. “I will not let anyone hurt you again.”
She shifted to look up at him and he kissed her once again. In seventeen centuries of life, nothing had ever felt half as good as kissing her did. He pulled her closer to him, fully intending to stay in that moment as long as she would let him when the sound of a door crashing open jolted him to stare towards the doorway of their bedroom. Initial shock was replaced by fury and rage. Someone dare enter his house when his wife was here? How did they get through? He would kill them. Majnun tore out of their bedroom, unaware of Anne quietly following at his heel. He realized too late that Anne hadn’t stayed in the room and he reached back, grabbing her hand protectively. It was too late to ask her to stay behind, so now he needed to be sure that whatever got in was destroyed quickly and cleanly. He would not have her see him with blood on his hands.
He would send them to the dungeon of the Madhouse and dispose of them later, he decided. He came into the living room suddenly, keeping a protective arm in front of Anne to keep her behind him. His fists clenched and he scowled as he was met with a glare that always unsettled him. “Alessandra.” He hissed.

“YOU!” Alessandra shouted. In her hand she gripped Quinn’s hair, he was mostly unconscious and rather worse for the wear. She tossed Quinn forward and he stumbled to the floor in front of the fireplace.
“Quinn!” Anne pulled out of her husband’s grip and ran over to the unconscious man on the floor. Majnun stared at her with worry before returning his gaze to glare at the intruder. Anne kneeled next to Quinn, pulling his head into her lap as she examined him with a concerned face.
“It’s been MONTHS, Majnun. WHERE HAVE YOU BEEN?!” Her face was twisted with anger.
“Our contract is long over, Alessandra.” Majnun said coldly, his gaze was piercing as he stepped forward. The magic in the room was shifting and tense, ready to strike at its master’s commands. “You are intruding in a house that does not belong to you.” His voice was dark, hollow and horrifying. Anne had never seen her husband in his manner before.

Quinn grumbled in her lap and opened his eyes slowly. “Mother?” He groaned and things came into focus. “No.” His voice dropped low. “You’re not her. Have I been cursed again? I don’t want to be cursed again.” He was mumbling and his hands weakly rubbed his wrists. “Am I dead? I must be. I never get to lay in a beautiful woman’s lap this long without being slapped.” Anne pulled on her sleeve and dabbed at a cut on his forehead gently.
Anne smiled at him softly. “Just rest, everything will be ok.” She turned to look back at her husband.
Alessandra was backing up as he took steps forward, she could see his hands starting to glow. “Why?! Have I not been a good wife to you?” She complained. “You’re the one who was never around! You lock yourself away with your insanity. You aren’t thinking clearly!” She scolded. “You’re not half bad when you’re sane, but for the gods’ sake Majnun! This is ridiculous!” Magic was intensifying around Alessandra as well.

Majnun crossed his arms and shook his head. “I’m the GOD of Madness, you stupid woman! YOU were the one who wanted to marry me. Now that contract is over! You are not welcome here or anywhere around myself or her!” His hand came out levelly in Anne’s direction. “If you are wise you will turn around and leave now so I do not have to inform your father that I killed the last thing he had of his dead wife!” His words caused the room to tremble with his fury. His mind surged forward and he gritted his teeth, no - not now! “Yearling ruby! Spasmodic pine! Don’t touch the-” His hands flew up to his head. He had to get himself back together this instant. He commanded his mind.
“You’ve completely lost it!” Alessandra stared at him in horror. “You’re so twisted in on yourself, can’t you see it?! You’ve lost the man my father found in the wreckage so long ago! You need someone to help bring it back!”
“ENOUGH!”
The room became quiet suddenly at her voice. Anne yelling centered Majnun firmly back into his own head as he looked at his wife with surprise.
Anne tried to calm her breathing but she could not, she frowned. “That is quite enough.” Her gentle voice was firm. “Perhaps I was raised differently from you, but I have been aware since I was a child that it was rude to not only walk into someone’s house without being invited but to then insult the owner of the home? That is unacceptable.”

Majnun’s face of surprise soon morphed into a gigantic smile as he stared at his wife in awe. The fire in her eyes - the fire he spent countless hours trying to stir in her. The subtle firmness in her voice. She was finally seeing how powerful she was and it filled him with pride. Every moment he spent bending exactly to her will was worth it for this one moment.
Anne continued where she left off. “I have no business with you. This man you’ve injured certainly has no business with you.” She looked down sadly at Quinn in her lap. “And now that you’ve insulted my husband I think that is quite enough for today.” Her eyes flashed briefly from the woman who was staring at her with fury and horror to the entryway and back. “The door is that way.”
“Who do you think you are?!” Alessandra screeched.
Majnun held up his hand and silenced her, he was grinning wildly from the beautiful outburst of his wife. She always surprised him. His beautiful chaos. “My wife has spoken.” He paused, looking at Anne warmly. “My only wife has spoken.”
Alessandra’s mouth hung open with disgust and horror. “You cannot be serious!” She looked back and forth between them. “You destroyed our marriage for HER?!” She stepped towards Anne menacingly. “For nothing but a petty mortal?! She’s so weak and feeble!”
That was the single stupidest thing she could have said. It took only a second passing before Alessandra was pinned to the wall, her neck was burning as Majnun held her there. His eyes were on fire with rage. He held up his other hand, magic glowing into an orb that would be her death. Fear and panic welled in her eyes as she struggled against his hand.

“Majnun!”
Anne pulled him out of his rage and he stared at her, the light fading away from his hands.
Anne looked at him hesitantly, shaking her head. “No.” She said softly.
Rage filled him up inside, and he turned back on Alessandra, releasing her from the wall. She slumped to the floor coughing. “By the will of this, ‘weak and feeble’ mortal, you have your life.” He spat. “Thank the Essence for her existence, for it prevented the end of yours.” He straightened himself. “Get out of my sight.” With that he turned away from her and walked towards Anne. He snapped his fingers and Quinn fell through the floor while Anne looked shocked at her husband and back at the floor with concern. Quinn needed tending to.
Alessandra picked up her wounded pride and skittered out the door without another word.
At the sound of the door closing, Majnun started laughing. The frightful expression he once wore on his face melted into something soft and familiar to Anne. He held his hand out to her, the same hand that nearly a minute ago would’ve dealt a killing blow to Alessandra had she not stopped him. She didn’t hesitate before placing her hand in his, feeling a little surprised that it wasn’t still warm from the magic. “My beautiful Anne.” He pulled her to her feet gently, laughing as he pulled her to him. “Sometimes I swear I think I know what chaos is and then you go and remind me what true chaos looks like.”

She looked up at him with big eyes. “I’m sorry… did I step out of line?” She asked nervously. “It’s just… I got so upset! She hurt someone, and then she insulted you and I…”
Majnun kissed her, “stop apologizing immediately.” His voice was serious. “That was one of the single greatest things I have ever witnessed. Never apologize for standing your ground. Swear to me.” He ordered. “Swear you will never apologize for that.”
“I just don’t want to cause trouble.” She whispered.
He looked at her, desire in his eyes. “You’re not trouble. You’re chaos. You’re beautiful, perfect chaos.” He shook his head gently, he had been in awe of her before, but today solidified the deal. There was nothing better than her on this world. “How did I live without you for so long?” He leaned over and pressed his lips to her neck and shoulder over and over again.
Anne was smiling, ready to forget all that just occurred when her eyes came open wide. “What about Quinn? He’s injured!” She started.
“Who?” Majnun didn’t look up from what he was doing as he continued to kiss her neck.
“Quinn! Where is he? Where did you send him?”
Majnun groaned softly before looking at her. “He’s in the study.” He paused and kissed her jaw. “He’ll sleep it off.” He leaned closer to her and kissed her earlobe.
“Majnun…” Anne pushed him away. “We should go make sure he’s ok.”

Majnun groaned with frustration. He snapped his fingers and Quinn fell through the ceiling and landed hard on the couch with a groan. “See, he’s fine!”
“Why is the room spinning?” Quinn muttered.
“Oh!” Anne ran over to him and Majnun cursed his priest for being such a dramatic child. “I’m so sorry Quinn! Majnun!” She scolded with a firm look.
“What?” Majnun shrugged nonchalantly. “He’s being dramatic.”
“I think I see the light!” Quinn whispered. “Is this what it feels like to die?”
“Would you like to find out?” Majnun growled.
“Majnun!” Anne scolded again and Majnun let out a solid breath in a huff before grumbling under his breath. Majnun stepped closer and held his hand out over Quinn as magic ran from Majnun’s fingers to Quinn’s body.
Majnun smirked. “No broken bones. No internal bleeding. You’ll be fine, you wuss.”
“You should check to make sure he didn’t hit his head!” Anne’s voice was coated with worry.
“Why? It’s not like his head has anything to protect.” He shrugged.
Quinn coughed dramatically and looked at Anne with sadness in his eyes. “Mistress… please…”
Anne felt worry rising in her, “what is it, Quinn?”

He breathed out a raspy breath. “Why did you marry an overpowered clown?”
Anne’s worry fell and turned into a sigh that turned into laughter.
Majnun scowled. “That’s enough.” He snapped his fingers and Quinn fell through the floor again. “Why is everyone pushing me to kill them today?” He grumbled. He slunk down on the now empty couch and put his head in his hands.
Anne felt a little guilty for ruining his good mood he had a moment earlier. She pulled herself onto the couch and slowly inched closer to him. Her face was full of innocent mischief as she rested her head against his shoulder. Her hand rubbed his back slowly. “Majnun…” She whispered his name in her sweetest voice she could manage. “... my sweet?”
He took a long breath in before looking at her inquisitively, he caught the look on her face and smiled despite himself. “What is it, my heart?” He grumbled playfully back.
“Well… we’re alone now.” Anne shrugged softly, biting her lower lip.
He laughed a breathy laugh. “Indeed… we are.” He spoke slowly.
“And the house is all sealed off, right?” She said softly as her fingers threaded into his hair.
He closed his eyes in reflex and nodded.
“Just us… and no one else.” She gave him a coy look.
He shook his head, “you’re going to kill me.”
She frowned and blinked at him, making a face.

He swept her up quickly. “It’s a good thing I like it.” He teased. “I swear though, no more interruptions. I’m locking this place down for a week at this rate. No more stupid meetings or unwelcome guests. Just you and I.”
“And Iri.” Anne said sweetly.
“...and Iri.” Majnun added with a sigh.
“And the daffodils…”
“Yes, yes, and the daffodils and the books and the candles…” He shook his head and walked with her up the stairs.
“And I was hoping to have Daisy over soon too.” Anne giggled.
His head rolled back but he smiled. He set her down at the doorway to their bedroom and looked at her seriously. “Are you happy here, my heart?”
She smiled brightly at him. “Happier than I ever knew was possible.”
He pressed his lips to hers. “Good.”
“Do you wish I were more powerful?” She whispered to him quietly. There was a slight hesitation in her eyes. She knew the answer but she wanted to be sure.
He laughed, “are you kidding? I love the most powerful woman alive.”
She frowned, not quite understanding. “I’m not powerful though… you are. You’re the one who controls the magic of the world…”

He gave her a goofy look. “Scary thought, isn’t it?” He teased but shook his head. “Yet you control my heart. That’s far more important.” Though he felt the need to add, “whenever you’re ready to receive magic to accompany that power, you just let me know.” He whispered.
Her sweet face changed and she gave him a look. “I know what you’re trying to do, Majnun.”
Majnun shrugged. “I had to try.”
“I haven’t changed my mind yet.” Anne pursed her lips.
He grinned widely. “Yet?”
“No! I didn’t mean…”
He swept her up again and pulled her into the bedroom. He would break down her walls eventually. He had to.

Online oshizu

• Watcher
    • oshizu's asylum
« Reply #818 on: May 06, 2016, 10:04:48 AM »
Queen of Mush, please take a bow.
For you are truly the Queen of Mush and of Majnun's uncharacteristic gentleness and Anne's surprising show of steely strength.

I hate Allessandra already, even without knowing her full backstory (we got bit a glimpse).
Somehow Anne has gotten very protective of Quinn before I'd even realized they'd gotten so close (is Anne channeling the QoM?)

This leadup to "The God of Magic's Fatherhood" pulls at the heart strings.  Thank you!

Offline LivvieLove

• Queen of Mush
  • Watcher
« Reply #819 on: May 06, 2016, 11:31:12 AM »
Queen of Mush, please take a bow.
For you are truly the Queen of Mush and of Majnun's uncharacteristic gentleness and Anne's surprising show of steely strength.

I hate Allessandra already, even without knowing her full backstory (we got bit a glimpse).
Somehow Anne has gotten very protective of Quinn before I'd even realized they'd gotten so close (is Anne channeling the QoM?)

This leadup to "The God of Magic's Fatherhood" pulls at the heart strings.  Thank you!

(Bows).
Thank you so much Oshizu!! I'm glad you enjoyed the chapter! It was so much fun to write! When I write, the characters often write themselves. As I was writing this particular chapter Anne gave me quite a shock! I remember I was laughing so hard and I sent it to @mpart to look at because I was like "oh my gosh! Little Anne has a voice in there!" After the chapter was all said and done I had to think on it for a bit... Was this really in character for her?
Then I remembered her outburst she had when Majnun asked told her she was going to marry him the first time. She also had another outburst when Mr. Gaspalt killed her flowers. She does indeed have steel and strength, she only uses it when she's really upset though, and usually she regrets it when it's done. Either way, I don't expect Majnun expected her to get so upset with Alessandra, and he found it the most amusing and perfect thing ever.

Alessandra won't likely get a full background anytime soon, but perhaps in the future. She isn't mean for the sake of being mean though. She's just foolish. She's the daughter of Order. She is an embodiment of Order and she wants to order and organize the God of Madness and Magic and make him into the perfect husband and romantic guy. She doesn't realize that it's one, an impossible task, and two, they just aren't compatible.
From the outside it would seem like it. The girl of Order bringing light to the darkness that is the boy of chaos's life.

As for Quinn? Anne is soft on everyone, it's just her nature. She hates seeing people hurt. Quinn is someone who she'll start to see/already sees as a son, despite him being older than her. Quinn however might end up with a crush on her, if he hasn't got one already. Anne is just spectacular anyways, that's why everyone loves her.

Ah, the God of Magic's fatherhood. I've already written some chunks of it. It's hilarious. Majnun as a father is both frightening and humorous. I almost feel bad for Aleccas.
Almost.
Aaaand now that's past. ;)
Thank you for the lovely comment!
In turn, I've written you a novel for no reason other than pure excitement at having a new chapter up.

Online oshizu

• Watcher
    • oshizu's asylum
« Reply #820 on: May 06, 2016, 11:54:49 AM »
I almost forgot to compliment you on the fantastic screenshots!

Whenever you need a break from writing plot, please feel free to show us around the house! (hint, hint)

Offline PeregrineTook

• Watcher
  • aka Pippin, the Most Tenacious Simmer
« Reply #821 on: May 06, 2016, 01:20:38 PM »
Manjun, you glorious charmer!  I believe he has achieved level 11 of charisma.

Offline LivvieLove

• Queen of Mush
  • Watcher
« Reply #822 on: May 06, 2016, 01:37:46 PM »
I almost forgot to compliment you on the fantastic screenshots!

Whenever you need a break from writing plot, please feel free to show us around the house! (hint, hint)
I've got it! XD Sorry about that.
I blame the American Civil War for my scrambled-brainness. I've written 20+ pages on it in 3 different papers for one class in the past two weeks. I'm not even done. Ugh.

Manjun, you glorious charmer!  I believe he has achieved level 11 of charisma.
Hey there! I'm glad to see you again! =) I've missed your witty comments.
I think I laughed a little too hard at that. Level 11 Charisma indeed... but then you see him in the future like:

Eveline squeezed her eyes shut again and demanded her body to let her see again, and so it did. The grid continued to be laid out before her, even with her eyes closed she could see what was going on across the road, she wondered how far she could push this, how far could she see?
"As far as you would want to." Majnun answered he questions, "as far as your magic will allow."
Eveline grinned and turned to face her grandfather, she focused in on the area he should be standing and slowly made out his outline. "You're wearing funny clothes, aren't you grandpa?" She asked with a laugh.
Majnun gave a wicked grin, "Oh child, my clothes didn't say anything even remotely funny! Did it tell you a joke that it didn't tell me?!"
And he was back.
Oh, that man. ::)

This will probably take two posts, due to the screencap limit.

The Swallow House [Not Destroyed]
For ease of myself, I've limited the amount of objects that are usually floating/flying around to Majnun's office for this tour. Normally there's a lot more.

Outside View, closed off.

Top Downs:

Outside.

Top Floor.

Bottom Floor.

Garden Shots:

Anne's Outdoor Easel.

Front Door.

Inside (First Floor):

Entryway: left arch leads to dining area, right arch leads to living area, doors behind the stairs lead to Majnun's room of bells.

Dining Area: featuring a lot of Daffodils and two archways into the kitchen.

The Kitchen: a little sparse at the moment, haven't really had to take any pictures in there yet.
Onto the other side of the first floor:

The Living Room: Featuring Iri, the personable fire.

Anne's Nook: left side facing right.

Anne's Nook: right side facing left.
Back to the Entryway:

One side of the stairs (the other looks the same, just being the opposite side).

The Room of Bells.

Upstairs:

Right Side: Anne and Majnun's Master Bedroom.
Left Side: Empty Room, Majnun's Study (or as he would call it, "the Study" as this house isn't "his," it's hers. ::) He only cares that she's happy).

The Master Bedroom with bonus picture of Majnun and Anne being adorable.

Yup. So adorable.
What were we doing? Oh. House. Right.

Archway to Master Bathroom. You cannot see the toilet on the left wall, and I wasn't going to take another picture for just a toilet. Rest assured. It's there.
Back into the Hallway:

Two doors left. Left door being empty bedroom, right door being the study.

I don't think it will take a rocket scientist to figure out what will be in this room in the coming future... ::)
Finally, we have Majnun's the Study.

This is the house when it's all in one piece.

Offline LivvieLove

• Queen of Mush
  • Watcher
« Reply #823 on: May 06, 2016, 01:45:56 PM »
This one isn't nearly as long as the others, mainly because there's not nearly as much to show.
The pictures are a bit out of order, as I'm pulling some from Eveline's Chapter to show you how they fit together.

The Swallow House [Destroyed]
From the Front:

There's only one floor now, the top floor kind of... collapsed on the bottom... during a time we haven't gotten to yet so I'm not saying a word about it. :-X

Top Down on What Remains of the Second Floor:

Top Down on What Remains of the First Floor:

What's left of the Dining Room (aka "the source" of the explosion):

What's left of the Living Room:

Poor Iri. :(

What Remains of Anne's Nook:

What Remains of the Front Door:

What Remains of Anne's Outdoor Easel:

Offline LivvieLove

• Queen of Mush
  • Watcher
Re: Reaper's Genetic Legacy Experiment: Say Something
« Reply #824 on: May 08, 2016, 02:14:47 AM »
Say Something
Midnight Hollow: Present Day
Eveline sucked in a breath and groaned as her mind came back into focus. Bright blue eyes stared down at her. “I love you, I love you!” His voice was breaking. Where was he? Where was she?

She groaned, “Jupiter…” She could feel something hard and cold beneath her and other voices started to come into focus.
“Eveline?! Eveline! Oh my gosh! Should we call 9-1-1?!”
The voices faded out to the sound of Eveline’s breathing. New voices began to hum again. Distant music was playing out of tune. The voices clashed against each other, all fighting for dominance in her head and ears. There were some points when voices would become discernable: a man's voice that felt familiar, a little boy, a shrill woman, and the sweet voice that sang Eveline to sleep while she fought off the horrors of her dreams.
“Anne?! Anne!”
"Mommy! There's a vampire in the yard! A VAMPIRE!"
"You destroyed our marriage for HER?! For nothing but a petty mortal?! She’s so weak and feeble!”
"Mama, what's wrong with daddy? Why is he screaming?"
"Hush my little swallow, do not cry for me. The winter has now ended, as it was meant to be."
Eveline’s heart was pounding. Her body ached as unfamiliar magic coursed through her. Pulse after painful pulse, her vision changed from blackness to varying shapes and colors. The area was black, but there were blurry figures. She was ready to give in to the figures. She didn't want to fight them. She was tired of living through this. They showed her images of Jupiter. They showed her images she should not be able to see: him and Elspeth. Him alone. Him walking away from her. The images tortured her. She was blind her whole life and the only times she's ever been able to see have been painful. The images weren't real, and somewhere inside she knew it, but they were so clear. They were clearer than she'd ever known.

Everything stopped suddenly and grew quiet when a voice cut through the silence. Unlike the others, this one was crystal clear without the humming that came with the whispers. "Eveline! You need to push this magic out immediately! It will kill you!"
"Grandpa?" She whispered.
“Eveline!” Her grandfather was there in her head, scolding her. She could feel his magic helping to push back the onslaught of unfamiliar magic. “Concentrate!” He commanded. Eveline squeezed her eyes shut and focused as hard as she could, and all the whispers became silent. She was still being barraged by magic that caused her body to throb "Come on my Swallow, CONCENTRATE."
"I'm trying." She whispered back.
"No you're not! Do not lie to me." His voice was cold and sharp.
Eveline clenched her fists and tried to push back against the magic she felt. "I can't..." She whimpered. A sharp pain ran through her like lightning. She opened her eyes wide and saw her grandfather scowling as he shocked her with his magic.
"Eveline." His voice was angry to match his scowl. "You. WILL. Focus!" His voice had no softness in it. "Now!" He held out both hands over the top of her and his fingers curled. Eveline twisted in agony. "You will NOT turn into your father. I will not let you. CONCENTRATE."

Eveline screamed and writhed on the ground.
"Your last name is Reaper, but you are blood of MY blood. Stop fighting with your magic and USE it. STOP fighting who you ARE!" With every shock he gave her, Eveline could feel her magic coming to life, turning into a fire that was boiling in her veins.
"Stop!" Eveline cried.
"You want it to stop? Make it stop. Command the world as you were meant to, Eveline! You've lived your whole life letting others and magic decide for you. That can be no more. I will not lose you this way. You want me to stop causing you pain? Then FORCE me out. BEND this world to your will! Be the Keeper that I know you are!"
It was grueling and painful. Worse than even the vampire bite she once sustained. She clenched her fists and slammed them into the ground below her, causing everything to shake. "ENOUGH!" She screamed, but it was not just her voice that came out, but the familiar voice from her dreams - from the city center. The world suddenly was being sucked away from her and she kept pushing.
In this moment, everything changed. Everything was pitch black, but Eveline wasn't afraid.

She felt different, but she couldn't explain how. Her body felt more alive. She ran her hand along the pavement below her and sucked in a calming breath. She was at peace.

Mary sat quietly at the restaurant and looked down at her watch. She drummed her hands on the table when she heard a very familiar voice calling out to her. "Siiiister!" He sing-songed.

"Ed." Mary gave a forced smile. She looked up at him and saw the same smile mirrored on his face.
"You too, huh?" Ed chuckled as he sat down heavily. He had bags under his eyes but his face was still warm.
"You look bad - are you alright?" Mary tilted her head at her older brother.
"You're looking pretty bad yourself." He jabbed back teasingly, but he sighed and rubbed his temples. "Don't ask if I'm alright, Mary, just order me something that's liquid and has alcohol in it. The stronger the better."
"Watcher, Ed. What happened?" Mary tipped her head at him with concern. It was like they were teens again. She even resisted the urge to make her voice deeper.
Edward sighed and looked at his sister with blank eyes. "I'm getting divorced." He said slowly.

Mary's mouth fell open. "Are you serious?"
He laughed a dry laugh, "Nah! I just thought that would be an excellent way to start our weekly lunch." He drummed on the table and did some jazz hands in front of him. "Surprise! I'm single!"
Mary closed her mouth and shook her head, "gods, Ed... that's brutal... what happened?"
Edward pursed his lips, "Jo and I have... differences of opinion on some things."
Mary narrowed her eyes. "Like what?"
He frowned. "She thinks I prioritize you over her and the girls since I packed up and moved here with you. She seems to live in this little bubble that family means the person you marry, and no one else. She never understood that you're my priority, and you always have been since we were kids. She doesn't know what we went through, and she doesn't even try." He was getting further worked up. "She seems to think that a wedding ring would erase years of what we have." He gestured between them. "Like you're some kind of threat, or something equally ridiculous. You're my freaking sister." He sneered. "She asked me why I didn't talk about going to Midnight Hollow with her before just deciding - like there was ever anything to discuss! She knew what she was signing up for when she married me, Mary."
Mary looked at him sadly as the realization sank in. Edward and Johanna were divorcing because of her. "All because of me, Ed?"
He calmed himself down from getting too irritated before continuing. "Let's just say there were some fights and I was about ready to concede when I just realized how much I gave up for her, Mary - how much I lost of myself to make her happy." He scowled. "I sold my bike. I quit my job at the Fire Station... I became a paper pusher at the Police Station for crying out loud! That wasn't enough though. She wouldn't be happy unless I was organizing folders in some pathetic office. What's next? Should I wear a suit and cut off my dreads?" His voice was bitter. "She told me she would be in Bridgeport if I 'came to my senses.' Whatever." He downed his drink in one swig and slammed the glass on the table.
"You can't be serious? She made you sell Baby?" Mary looked down at the table and shook her head. "What a monster."
"HA!" Edward grinned. "I needed that."
"Did she really dislike me that much? Did I do something that offended her?" Mary felt terrible now.
Edward pointed at her, "stop. I see what you're doing. Stop that right now. I will not have my sister internalizing my problems. Johanna is the one with the issues. It's not a reflection of you period. Capiche?"
Mary made an uncertain face but she nodded. "I'm sorry about this, Ed."

He shrugged. "No need to be. I'm free now, and believe it or not, it actually feels pretty good." He sighed. "Now give me some good news, sis."
Mary pursed her lips, "Well... I guess Evie got the job at the Science Lab classifies as good news."
"I knew she'd make a great experiment!" Edward joked. His shoulders shook with his laughter. "But good for her, Mary. Now what about the bad news?"
"What makes you think I've got bad news?" Mary's finger ran along the top of her glass.
Edward's face grew unamused. "Mary, let me take a minute to remind you that you're crap at hiding things from me." He crossed his arms, slouching in the chair. "Let's try that again. What's the bad news, Mary?"
Mary put her head on in her hands on the table. "My marriage is falling apart, Ed." She whispered. "I don't know what to do anymore."
Edward's eyes narrowed, "what is Trebo doing?" He asked accusingly. It had long been revealed that Alec's last name was not Trebo, however Edward never quite let it go.

It all came tumbling out. "I don't even know! He won't let me in! He's in his study all the time. He's not got a job anymore... he's consumed!" She shook her head and looked at her brother with pleading eyes. "Ed, he hasn't even slept in the same bed as me since we moved here. He's obsessed with some kind of revenge for his mother? I'm not even sure! He won't talk to me."
Edward listened quietly with a flat expression, he took in a heavy breath. "Are you sure it's his mother, Mary?"
Mary grew confused. "I... I think so? Why does it matter?"
"Trebo grew up here, didn't he?" Edward's expression was unchanged.
"I guess so. I think?" Mary felt panic growing inside her. She wasn't sure of anything anymore. Why hadn't she asked? She's been married to a man for twenty years that she never even knew. "You're going to have to spell this out for me, Ed. Clearly I don't know what you're getting at."
Edward shook his head. "He's cheating, Mary. There, does that help?"
Mary was stunned. "What?"
Edward's face softened. "I'm sorry, Mary, but let's just look at the facts: he's distant, he's not spending time with you, and he claims it's his 'mother?'" He shrugged. "That just doesn't add up. He's from here. He probably had an old flame he ran into or thought about and he's preoccupying his time that way."
Mary couldn't breathe. "No... no... that can't be right." Mary bit her lip. "We have Eveline! I thought... I thought we were happy!" Mary felt her eyes start stinging. She started to analyze every moment she's spent with him. Her whole heart lifted suddenly. "Wait! He hasn't left the house! It can't be another woman!"

"Are you sure he hasn't left the house, Mary?" Edward asked skeptically.
Mary felt her confidence returning, though it was shaken. "He's been in his study ever since we've arrived."
"He's like his dad, right?" Edward shook his head, his eyes still expressing the same weary emotion. "Magic, and all that jazz?"
"Yeah... but I am too." Mary wiggled her fingers and tried to smile. "Remember, our family only got weirder?"
"Not the point I'm trying to get at, Mary." Edward pointed his straw at her. "This is my point: can't he just... I dunno, 'magic' out of a room? How does that work anyways?"
Mary's heart dropped. "I mean... I..." She sputtered before her voice dropped with her heart. "Yeah. He could."
"Have you gone to check his study when you're 'sure' he's in there?" Edward looked at her curiously.
"He keeps the door locked." Mary frowned. "I hate it. He's never locked me out of anywhere before." It was like she was being flooded with emotion.
Edward gave her a cocky stare. "As if locked doors are a problem for you... magic people."
Mary frowned. "I don't like doing that to him, Ed. If he wants his privacy..."
"I'd say at this point he doesn't deserve the privacy, sis." He crossed his arms. "You're a good woman and one heck of a good wife to him for all that 'respecting privacy' crap he's demanding of you."

Mary buried her face into her arms, and Edward politely sent the waiter away after pointing to his glass and flashing two fingers to show he wanted two more drinks for them. "He got so angry the other day, Ed. He started swinging at things! I've never seen him so upset and out of sorts!" She cried quietly.
Edward sat up suddenly. "He got violent?" His voice was menacing.
Mary realized what she said and sat up as well, holding her hands out in front of her. "No... not like that! I mean... he just hit a pencil jar across the room... that's all."
Edward's fist clenched. "That's... all? You're joking right? He HIT something - it doesn't matter if it was an inanimate object or not! It could have been you, Mary!"
Mary shook her head. "He wouldn't..."
"Just like he wouldn't cheat?!" Edward shook his head.
Mary was fighting off tears. "Ed..." She pleaded.
He frowned at her. "Mary, please, tell me you're not staying with him."
Mary frowned. "I have no proof of anything yet, Ed. He's my husband... I want to make this work!"
"It takes two to make a marriage work, Mary! What is he doing for you, huh?!" He scowled. "Terrorizing you by hitting things? Getting angry? Not coming to bed with you? Not talking to you? Mary! Open your eyes! Are you in a marriage or a one-sided relationship with a soul-sucking demon?!"

Mary stared down at the table and wiped a tear that had fallen from her eyes. "I don't know anymore, Ed. I just want things to go back to normal." Her voice broke.
Edward's face fell to something softer and he sighed. "Hey, sis, come on." He reached across the table and grabbed her hands in his. "I'm sorry. I'm Mr. Doom-and-Gloom today, ok? You do what you've gotta do. Maybe he really is all fed up with his crazy father and life and on some strange hunt to avenge his long-dead mother!" He paused and tipped his head down to look her in the eyes, "but Mary, there's also a chance it's something else, and I don't want my baby sister walking into that blindly."
"I'm not a baby anymore, Ed." Mary said weakly.
"No, you're not, but I'm always going to look out for you, no matter how old you get." His eyes were warm and Mary wanted to break down inside.
She resisted and nodded weakly, her lower lip trembling now.
Edward squeezed her hands. "Look at me, Mary."
Mary hesitantly looked up, afraid she might start crying if she had to look him in the eyes for too long.
"I have a couch - no, wait! Give me until the end of the day and I'll have a bed ready. Mom and dad have a spare room. You always have options, Mary. You're always welcome at my house."
Mary smiled weakly. "What about the girls though?"
"What about them? They'll be happy to see their favorite Aunt happy and unharmed. I mean it Mary." He looked at her intensely. "It doesn't matter if it's three in the morning or a hurricane is banging down our doors. You call me and I'll come for you. I'll bring a bat too, and show Trebo how much better his face looks concave-d."
Mary couldn't help it, she felt a real smile pulling at her lips. "Ed..." She rolled her eyes. "What about the 'magic people' part?"
"I don't care! Regular person, 'Magic' person... everyone takes a bat to the face the same way, Mary."

She found herself laughing despite the sadness she felt. "Thank you, Ed."
He chuckled back at her. "Look at us. We're the epitome of what-not-to-do-in-your-marriage." He shook his head.
"Mom and dad would be proud." Mary joked, but her face fell.
She and Ed sat at the table, keeping each other company for the rest of the afternoon. At the end of the day, they would always have each other.

Alec grumbled over the scrying table. He dug into the past over and over and over again but it was nearly impossible to get it to see what he needed it to. He slammed the book shut and screamed in frustration.
He had spent so many years trying to pretend this never happened. He tried so hard to see his father in the same way as his daughter did, but it just couldn't come. How did his brothers deal with this?

He frowned, they're all out of their minds, that's how.
His mother never stood a chance.
Alec sat numbly down at the desk and placed his head in his hands. His mother would hate to see him torn up over this. She wanted him to like his father. Gods know why, but she did. The amazing woman she was could see the good in everything - even in someone as despicable as his father.
Could she not remember the screams of the man he tortured at the trial? Alec could never get those screams out of his head. That man begged for his life, whoever he was - not like his father ever cared.
He clenched his fists. His mother screamed in agony too. His throat tightened. He could never forget those terrible memories.
He was young. He couldn't even remember how young anymore, but he was old enough to understand. He had learned how to make his toys disappear and reappear. He thought it was the coolest thing ever. He wanted to show his mom. He wanted to see her smile and beam at him with pride in the way she always did when he did something new.

His dad was home though. He was always uncomfortable when his dad was home. He was a strange man who grumbled gibberish and had odd mannerisms. His presence was terrifying to a young boy. He had a glare that could kill. At this age, Alec was pretty sure if his father glared hard enough he could actually kill someone. Especially after what he saw and heard at the trial - the man that was screaming.
Alec remembered being anxious to leave his room, but he found the courage in him and made his way across the hallway.
There was a crash of shattering glass and a horrifying scream. Alec dropped his toy and ran for his parent's room.

"This is ridiculous Anne!" His father was shouting at her.
"Stop Majnun! Stop!"
"No! Anne! You have to-"

Alec stood in the doorway, his father was gripping her shoulders and she was shaking so bad that Alec could see it from there. "What are you doing to her?!" He cried.
His father's face snapped to him suddenly. His face was frightening and angry. "What are you doing in here?!"
Alec's lip trembled. He needed his mother. He needed to hug her. "Mommy!"
His mother had started crying and gasping in his grip and his father looked down at her and back to him sharply. "GET OUT!"

With a wave of his hand Alec was sent flying back into the hallway and the door slammed shut.
There were so many memories coated in pain. Alec gripped his head at his desk.
"No! This discussion ISN'T closed!"

"Majnun please, I'm begging you. Let this go!"
His mother had begged his father to stop arguing with her. "We talked about this earlier, don't you remember?" Alec sat at the top of the stairs, listening quietly to his parents in the living room.
"You stubborn woman!" He could hear his father growling. "I'm NOT letting this go! Not anymore!"
"Please, my sweet, you need to calm down. You've not rested in so long..." His mother's voice was so delicate. He could barely hear her speak from where he sat.
"You will NOT change the subject." His father was so domineering. His poor mother would always have to concede to him. Alec strained to hear what was being said, but he couldn't from where he was.

"Aleccas will always be well taken care of, you know that, my sweet." Alec's ears perked up at his name. "I'm not dead yet." What was she talking about? Alec couldn't understand. He strained harder to hear, when suddenly there was a loud thud and screaming - only this time it was the madman he called a father.
"Summertime! Giffle! Crystallizing dewdrops! Hot-roasted!" It slurred together into a larger scream.
His mother's voice was drowned out by it.
"No! I'm fine!" It was a hiss, hardly even a voice any longer. His father was practically a snake in human skin.
The voices were getting easier to hear and Alec perched on his toes. "Come, my sweet, let's just go to bed." He could hear the weariness in his mother's voice, the pleading. "Please, my sweet? Please?" Alec frowned. She shouldn't need to ask for permission.
He couldn't stay longer though, as they were now approaching his eavesdropping point. He stood and ran for his bedroom, closing the door quietly behind him.

Alec could never let himself forget these things. His father was a terrible man who did terrible things. His mother was dead because of him. He could have saved her. He didn't. He was too busy with his other family. Alec stopped himself from thinking about that day. He couldn't bear it. Not right now. He steeled himself and stood back up at his scrying table. He would have his answers and he would do whatever he could to take his father down a peg.
A realization dawned on him though. He needed something of his father's. Something he could use to scry with. He clenched his fists and thought very hard. He stayed at their old house in Bridgeport. There was the Madhouse and the Safe-house that Jack built. He would have to search them all thoroughly. His father rarely left a trace of himself, but there had to be something there: anything. Alec threw open a portal on the wall and stretched his shoulders. He'd start in Bridgeport and work his way around.

He would destroy anything that got in his way.

Mary entered the quiet house with a heavy heart. Her mind was filled with the conversation she had with Edward earlier. Her whole body ached at the thought. What happened to her and Alec? They used to be so unstoppable. She used to believe they could do anything. It was but a week ago that he was holding her as she cried and now? Now she was alone in the quiet of the house and she just ached.
She wouldn't give up though. She steeled herself. She could help him somehow. Twenty years of marriage and she wasn't going to run at the first sign of trouble.

She climbed the staircase with anxiety growing in her stomach. She would do this, and she would do it now. She masked her emotions away. "Hey sweetheart?" She called as she approached the door. "We need to talk. You need to let me in." She knocked on the door. "I need to know that you're still here... that you're still in this with me. Whatever this is... we can work through this, together!"
There was no answer, and Mary frowned.
"Alec?" She knocked louder this time. Her heart was dropping into her stomach. "Say something... please?" Her voice was weak now. Her head hung low and she felt the burn behind her eyes. Her confidence had fallen and shattered to the ground. She gritted her teeth. "I'm not playing this game anymore!" She called through the door. "You're going to let me in or I'm coming in anyways!"
Still no answer came.
Mary bit her cheeks hard. She didn't want to be this person. She didn't want to have to beg to be let into her husband's life. Yet at the same time she couldn't take being locked out any longer. If he wouldn't let her in willingly, she would have to push her way in. In a moment she zapped the lock with her magic. Her hand rested on the doorknob for a brief moment as she sucked in a breath.
She opened the door quickly, prepared to silence any protests that might come.

Yet there were none to come, because there was no one there.
Mary stood in the doorway, staring at the empty room in disbelief. Her breathing was growing ragged, and she could not stop the tears that spilled over the edges of her eyes. She slumped to the floor of the empty study and clutched her stomach as she sobbed.

Reality was crushing her, and she couldn't deny it any longer.

Eveline sat up suddenly, and the world was in a sharp focus. The outlines were far clearer than she had ever seen them before. She could feel her magic humming in her veins: happy to be alive.
"Eveline?! Oh my gosh! Are you ok? Todd is calling an ambulance!" Seema's voice became clearer.
"No need." Eveline said simply. She rolled her shoulders back and stretched her neck muscles. "Sorry for worrying both of you. All is well now." She pressed her palms downward and pushed against the air. The gesture sent her standing gracefully with a pulse of her magic. She dusted her dress off and smoothed her hair.

Todd was gaping at her. "Incredible..."
"So neat!" Seema burst. "What happened?! Why did you fall unconscious? Did your magic not respond well? Does magic respond to other magic? Can you feel the magic here? I mean... I can feel the magic here and I'm not magical, so what does it feel like if you are magical, I wonder?"
"Slow down, Seema." Todd chuckled. "Are you alright, Eveline?" His voice was softer, and Eveline noticed the change immediately.
She cleared her throat awkwardly. "Yes... I'm fine." Nearly died, that's all; she added in her head.
"I knew this house was dangerous." He sighed and shook his head. "I just wish I knew what happened here..."
Eveline paused and closed her eyes when something came to her. "Todd? I just thought of something."
"Yes? What is it? Is it about the house?"

"I know what happened here... but that doesn't matter nearly as much." Eveline shook her head. "I know how to catch the Red Killer."