Author Topic: Reaper's Genetic Legacy Experiment [Complete]  (Read 328052 times)

Offline mpart

• A Crazy
  • Immortal
  • The Labelles shall overtake!
Re: Reaper's Genetic Legacy Experiment: The Rise of Death
« Reply #930 on: June 20, 2016, 01:27:30 AM »
Oh Maleficent. For such a sad character to write she smiles so much. I LOVE Majnun as always. Fate. Ugh. Just ugh. Awwww. Majnun is awesome. I'm happy he helped Maleficent, she won't forget his kindness I think.  :-X

Offline LivvieLove

• Queen of Mush
  • Watcher
  • "Sh! Be quiet! The nutters are out to get me."
« Reply #931 on: June 20, 2016, 01:53:56 AM »
Oh Maleficent. For such a sad character to write she smiles so much. I LOVE Majnun as always. Fate. Ugh. Just ugh. Awwww. Majnun is awesome. I'm happy he helped Maleficent, she won't forget his kindness I think.  :-X
This was too fun to write! Majnun and Maleficent are quite the pair. Thanks for letting me borrow little Death Flower, Fate "Ugh" Niccoli, and Calypso the Sea Sand-Witch. They were so much fun to pose around in game!
I'm excited for the things to come. =D
THE MUSH WILL LIVE ON.

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline oshizu

• Watcher
    • oshizu's asylum
« Reply #932 on: June 20, 2016, 10:24:37 AM »
Like Pippin, I really appreciated the Who's Who in the Pantheon post, which not only cleared my mind enough to reread "The Rise of Death" post with less confusion but to also appreciate just how beautiful the pantheon is. Seriously, every single deity is devastatingly alluring in their own way.
I giggled to meet Eravearal (again? It's my second time, I think), that lady that Quinn often goes on about, hehe.

As a geek, I loved the new website! And I was surprised and delighted to see that you are rewriting this entire challenge!?  What an absolutely epic endeavor!!!
(In the "Before You Read" section, I clicked on "Grisly Images," silly me. Why would I even think that would be a link?)

Majnun was quite dashing in this chapter, and even somewhat heroic!

Offline LivvieLove

• Queen of Mush
  • Watcher
« Reply #933 on: June 20, 2016, 07:12:26 PM »
Like Pippin, I really appreciated the Who's Who in the Pantheon post, which not only cleared my mind enough to reread "The Rise of Death" post with less confusion but to also appreciate just how beautiful the pantheon is. Seriously, every single deity is devastatingly alluring in their own way.
I giggled to meet Eravearal (again? It's my second time, I think), that lady that Quinn often goes on about, hehe.

As a geek, I loved the new website! And I was surprised and delighted to see that you are rewriting this entire challenge!?  What an absolutely epic endeavor!!!
(In the "Before You Read" section, I clicked on "Grisly Images," silly me. Why would I even think that would be a link?)

Majnun was quite dashing in this chapter, and even somewhat heroic!
I'm glad that I was able to help null some of the confusion with that post! It wasn't part of the plan originally, but I soon realized I wouldn't be able to clearly demonstrate who was who with the pictures, so... I went with a general post about it. ::)
I'm very glad you like the Pantheon! Mpart and I worked very hard on them. They're all very personable too, and you'll probably be seeing some of them crop up here and there. Ah! Yes... Quinn would be rather fond of Eravaeral, wouldn't he? Flirts with anything that breathes - sounds right up his alley.
I'm also very glad you like the site I've put together! It's very, very unfinished. I've been working on it very slowly in my freetime (which isn't much).
Alas! I've been discovered! Yes! I was going to wait to announce it until later on (when I had more chapters up for it), however it's true. I am in the process of rewriting the Reapers from the start with all the lore firmly built in! It's really on a backburner right now and it's not forum appropriate - so it will not be talked about much here.
For those of you who would like updates to follow my progress as I slowly (and I mean, slowly at the moment) make updates to it, feel free to PM me and I'll make a note to keep you informed as to when I post updates!
Also, you've probably seen some minor spoilers there.
Once I get a little further along with it, I'll make a "proper" announcement about it. Until then, I'm dumping my time into this version of the story and a little bit into my Nix story and my other chunk of time into my school --- so basically, it's very low on my priority list at this given time (and sadly my last update was like, two months ago - in which I have another update mostly ready, but I need pictures and to wrap up a few things in it; with no picture/word limit really I can make my chapters "perfect" in my head and that's my goal).

Also, my boyfriend, ironically, when I was making the blog originally, told me I should hyperlink a picture of a grisly bear to that specific part of my blog. I laughed, but now I see I probably should have. ;)

Offline oshizu

• Watcher
    • oshizu's asylum
« Reply #934 on: June 20, 2016, 08:55:50 PM »
@LivvieLove
Oops, I'm sorry about jumping the gun on your website--I got too excited. :-(

What I really want to say, though, is that I like the way you've added locations and timeframes to your chapter modules. It's great to be able to see all that in one glance whenever we go to read your next update!

Offline LivvieLove

• Queen of Mush
  • Watcher
« Reply #935 on: June 20, 2016, 11:57:53 PM »
@LivvieLove
Oops, I'm sorry about jumping the gun on your website--I got too excited. :-(

What I really want to say, though, is that I like the way you've added locations and timeframes to your chapter modules. It's great to be able to see all that in one glance whenever we go to read your next update!
You didn't jump the gun at all! Don't even worry about it! I had a feeling someone would find it! ;D
I'm glad that it's looking useful! I promise I'll keep updating the page over time - right now it's just a little bare... =D

Offline Magpie2012

• Tony Brooks fangirl - Jupiter Reaper fangirl too - Pippin fangirl ALWAYS
  • Watcher
  • Call me Mags or Steph
« Reply #936 on: June 21, 2016, 09:36:28 PM »
I don't even know where to start. So many chapters to catch up with. As always, I am a huge fan of your (and mpart's) work. I can't even begin to comprehend the time and energy that went into all this. But, I am so happy that you did, as this is one of my favourite stories, ever! I am also (not so secretly) shipping Manorath! I think she is perfect for him and vice versa. I think the fact that I asked you for spoilers to Anne and Majnun's story, just makes me long for their happy ever after that much more. Sheo has experienced so much for such a tortured soul.

Sent from my D2005 using Tapatalk

because... Math *Pippin The Most Tenacious Simmer*

Only 2 things are infinite... The universe and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe. *Albert Einstein*

Don't believe all the quotes that have been attributed to me. *Albert Einstein*

I can't ignore ALL of the voices in my head - Some of them actually make sense! *Blayzen*

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline LivvieLove

• Queen of Mush
  • Watcher
« Reply #937 on: June 21, 2016, 10:54:56 PM »
I don't even know where to start. So many chapters to catch up with. As always, I am a huge fan of your (and mpart's) work. I can't even begin to comprehend the time and energy that went into all this. But, I am so happy that you did, as this is one of my favourite stories, ever! I am also (not so secretly) shipping Manorath! I think she is perfect for him and vice versa. I think the fact that I asked you for spoilers to Anne and Majnun's story, just makes me long for their happy ever after that much more. Sheo has experienced so much for such a tortured soul.

Sent from my D2005 using Tapatalk
@mpart and I have such a big thing coming up... this next generation will be AMAZING. Just you wait. We've got SO MUCH planned. Our stories are really going to start coming together here soon (like, the next few chapters soon, we're super psyched).
I hope this isn't creepy but I saw you're with your best friend! I hope you're having a good time. =D
As for Manorath (such a strange name, made me think of Mammoth, I love it XD), I really really love them together. I hope they can work it out. Sheo will have such a nice storyline coming up (I hope). Hopefully everyone enjoys it as much as I do.

Offline Magpie2012

• Watcher
  • Call me Mags or Steph
« Reply #938 on: June 22, 2016, 04:28:05 AM »
I can't wait to see what you've come up with!

Yeah, I'm 7 hours drive from home, in a town that's flipping freezing (we're in Winter here) and I'm loving it! I just wish I had longer than a week!

I am so glad that I've managed to find you another ship-name for our collection XD I'm starting to run out of ideas though lol

Sent from my BlackBerry 9720 using Tapatalk

Only 2 things are infinite... The universe and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe. *Albert Einstein*

I can't ignore ALL of the voices in my head - Some of them actually make sense! *Blayzen*

Offline Magpie2012

• Watcher
  • Call me Mags or Steph
« Reply #939 on: June 22, 2016, 04:30:07 AM »
I can't wait to see what you've come up with!

Yeah, I'm 7 hours drive from home, in a town that's flipping freezing (we're in Winter here) and I'm loving it! I just wish I had longer than a week!

I am so glad that I've managed to find you another ship-name for our collection XD I'm starting to run out of ideas though lol

Sent from my BlackBerry 9720 using Tapatalk

Offline LivvieLove

• Queen of Mush
  • Watcher
Re: Reaper's Genetic Legacy Experiment: Too Little, Too Late
« Reply #940 on: June 22, 2016, 10:40:45 PM »
Too Little, Too Late: Part One
Midnight Hollow: Present Day
Alec was groggy and his head was pounding when he slowly opened his eyes. He groaned and rolled over onto his back in the bed. This was why overexpending your magic was a terrible idea. He slowly pulled himself off the bed and stretched his neck and shoulders. He would be feeling that for the next week. Where did the days go when he could shake off a brutal hangover in just under a few minutes?
Overexpending one’s magic has never been a hangover though. It was much worse than one. His eyes drifted over to the clock - it was nearing seven in the evening. Mary should be off of work by now, he thought idly and then he frowned. He wasn’t even sure of what her schedule was anymore. The thought made him upset. She had been right about one thing when she called. His priorities were a bit out of whack. He would need a big bouquet of flowers to help him apologize for that one. He remembered the way he spoke to her and he sighed. He had screwed up. He should never have spoken to her that way. He just didn’t get why she didn’t see how important this was to him.

After he pulled himself through the shower her wandered aimlessly to the dresser. He couldn’t remember which drawer had his clothes in it. He opened a few empty ones before finding his. Had Mary still not gotten fully unpacked? It was probably an Olivia thing. He didn’t think much of it and he continued throwing on some clean clothes.
He slowly found his way to the stairs and made his way down them. There was a chatter coming from the living area. How many people were in their house? It was just supposed to be him, Eveline and Mary. The chatter stopped suddenly as his feet touched the bottom floor. He walked around and found Eveline sitting at the table with… Jupiter? When did he get here? Jack stood in the corner on his phone, and there was a strange girl sitting at the table as well. What was going on?
A plate was barreling right for his head then and in a heartbeat he redirected it to smash against the wall with his magic. Eveline stood with her arm extended from the throw, her face angry. “Where. Have. You. Been?” Her voice was threatening and dark as she reached for another plate.
Alec’s eyes narrowed at her. “Eveline! That is NOT how you treat your father!”
Her face became a mixture of shock, amusement and anger. “F-F-Father?!” She laughed without amusement loudly, and Jupiter tried to grab her shoulder, hoping to calm her. “No, let me go.” She shook him off. “That’s not how I should treat my father, huh?” Her voice was angry and mocking. “Perhaps my father shouldn’t have up and VANISHED FROM OUR FREAKING FAMILY!” She ripped up another plate and threw it hard at him.

Alec’s brow knitted in confusion. “What are you talking about?!” His voice was defensive.
Eveline shook her head with irritation. “What am I talking about?! You’ve been gone for over a WEEK!” She was trembling with her anger. “No TEXT. No PHONE CALLS. No ANYTHING!” She grabbed the strange girl’s plate from in front of her and threw it at him. Alec deflected it with ease now.
Alec felt something inside of him sink. “What… what are you talking about? What is today?”
“You have a phone, and most of a brain… use it.” Eveline spat.
Alec’s eyes narrowed but he slowly pulled his phone from his pocket. It was dead. He shook it and threw it on the table. “Battery’s dead.”
“Oh, that makes it so much better.” Eveline reached into Jupiter’s pocket and grabbed his phone before throwing it with all the force she could muster. Alec jumped and stopped the speeding phone, it was a miracle it didn’t break.  Jupiter opened his mouth to protest but quietly closed it and shrugged at Alec. Eveline crossed her arms before she tilted her head slightly. “Jupiter?” She said sweetly. “I’m borrowing your phone.” Her face returned to being harsh as she glared in her father’s direction.
“I can… I can see that, Evie.” Jupiter chuckled slightly before sighing.

Alec woke the phone up and stared at the screen as he felt his whole world sink around him. “This… this can’t be right…” He whispered. “I wasn’t gone that long…” His brow furrowed. “Was I?” He threw the phone down on the table roughly, eliciting a sigh from Jupiter who was staring at it defeatedly. “Where’s Mary… Where’s your mother?” Alec said suddenly with desperation.
Eveline looked at him with contempt. “Oh, you suddenly care now? Why should I tell you?!” She had begun raising her voice.
“Eveline Reaper! It does not matter how upset you are, you will not treat me with disrespect!” Alec said firmly.
“Keeper!” Eveline shouted. “I go by Eveline KEEPER now, dad.”
Alec felt his throat restrict on the words. “You’ve… you’ve spoken to your grandfather…?”
Eveline rolled her eyes and shrugged. “He talks to me in my head all the time!”
Alec felt himself fill with rage, he slammed his hands on the table and Eveline jumped slightly, Jupiter stepping forward at an angle to move in between them if needed. “WHERE IS HE?!” Alec shouted. “WHERE IS HE HIDING?”
Eveline clenched her fists. “LIKE I WOULD EVER TELL YOU!”
“EVELINE!” He pinched the bridge of his nose and took in a breath. “You don’t understand what that man is capable of!”
Eveline waved him away with her hands. “Oh please, dad. Take your ignorance elsewhere. It’s not wanted here.”

“He’s a MURDERER, Eveline!”
“SO ARE YOU!” Eveline slammed her hands down on the table then. “So is Uncle Edward and Grandpa Noten! So is MOM - whom you’re SO quick to forget about, you… you-”
“That’s HARDLY the same!” Alec seethed. “You don’t KNOW HIM like I do!”
“Yeah?” Eveline gripped the table. “Well YOU don’t know him like I do!” She shook her head. “He’s always cared for me, probably more than you ever have! Especially more than you do now! Where were you when I nearly died?! Where were you when everything was falling apart?! Where were you, huh?! You weren’t there the night I was attacked in Bridgeport! You didn’t prepare for the worst case scenario to save my life! You weren’t there when I was kicked out of school as a kid! You didn’t defend me! You didn’t even look for me when I ran away! These are all things grandpa did! What have you done, huh? What have you done for me? For mom?” She shook her head, feeling her eyes burning. “I hate you.”
Alec stood stunned, unable to process the raw feelings that gripped at him. “Eveline, I-”

“I HATE YOU!” She screamed. She was getting far too emotional. She turned on her feet and ran for her room, slamming the door behind her.

Alec had run to his room and thrown his phone on the charger. He nearly shook the phone with anxiety as he waited for the phone to hold enough charge to turn on. He needed to call Mary. He needed to call her right now.
The phone took an eternity to turn on and it buzzed with unread messages and missed phone calls. His heart ached. He needed to call Mary. He ignored the messages and started to call her.
The phone rang once and then went to voicemail. Alec dialed it again and this time it rang twice before going to voicemail. She was deliberately ignoring his calls now. His heart was pounding with panic. He wanted to pace but he couldn’t with the phone attached to the wall.
He dialed her again.
And again.
Voicemail. Voicemail.

He waited for the signal to leave a message. “Mary, please, where are you? What’s going on? I’ve made a horrible mistake and I need to speak to you… please Mary. I had no idea… call me back. Let me know you’re safe. Something. Anything?”
He hung up and dialed her again. It rung once. Twice. Three times and he was getting hopeful. Voicemail. His heart sank. The beep came. “Mary? Please answer me. Please? Are you at least safe? Eveline won’t talk to me… she… she hates me, Mary. I get it! I screwed up, but please tell me you’re there. Please tell me you’re safe? Please call me back. Text me. Something? I’ve screwed up. I know I have. Please let me explain myself… I love you. I love you so much.” He sighed heavily. “Call me please.” He repeated.
He slowly sat on the floor and bit his lip. His phone vibrated in his hand and he saw the message that came through:
Why do you even care?
He felt sadness rip through him at the message. “Oh, Mary… what have I done?” He opened the text messaging app and a slew of text messages hit him in right where it hurt the most.

Alec? Where are you? Fri. 6:24pm.
Alec, please. Let me in. Sat. 9:41am.
I can help if you just let me. Sun. 1:21am.
You don’t have to do this alone, love. Please let me help? Sun. 10:03am.
Alec? Have you heard from Eveline today? It’s getting late… I’m worried. Mon. 7:14pm.
Eveline is home now, something happened to her. Where are you? Mon. 11:39pm.
Alec… please? Please don’t do this to me. Why won’t you answer me? Tues. 4:45am.
I don’t even care anymore Alec, please just come home. Eveline needs you. *I* need you. Tues. 4:31pm.
I’m begging you Alec. Please… just… please… come home? Even if it isn’t to see me. Tues. 6:22pm.
Is it someone else? We can figure this out… I… I want to help you… please… I want to make this work. Just one text. One word. Anything? Please? Wed. 3:02pm.
I can’t lose you like this Alec! Please! I’ve only ever wanted to make you happy. What did I do wrong? Can I at least try to fix it? Wed. 4:14pm.
I’m going crazy, Alec… are you safe? Are you alive? I don’t know who else to call… I just want my husband back. Thurs. 11:30am.
Please… if you’re ok, can you at least answer me?Thurs. 6:07pm.
Does our marriage mean so little to you now that you can’t even spare me a single text message? Thurs. 6:59pm.
I can’t do this anymore Alec. I’m falling apart without you. Is there really someone else? We’ve been married for twenty years... Fri. 5:24pm.
I’ve only ever loved you Alec. Why couldn’t you just let me in? Why can’t you just come home?! Fri. 6:00pm.
Alec… I just… I can’t do this anymore. I need to clear my head. I can’t do this anymore. I just… I can’t. I’m moving out. I need air.
Call me when you come home. Please? Fri. 7:34pm.
Then came the messages from after the phone call he finally answered. They cut deeper than he could ever imagine. He had ruined everything. He had spoken so carelessly and, in doing so, took a torch to his marriage.
...So that’s it? After all this time and you think I’M being selfish? Whatever Alec. I’m… I’m so done. I can’t believe you. You’re not the man I married. You’re hardly a man at all anymore. Sun. 12:20pm.
I’ll send you the papers in the mail. I’d hate to trouble you with what’s most important in YOUR little world, Alec. Sun. 12:23pm.
Why do you even care? Today. 7:23pm.
It was Wednesday night now. He had been gone nearly two weeks. Time at the Madhouse was always wonky, but he never thought it was this bad. He closed his eyes. He knew it wasn't just the Madhouse. He had overexpended his magic over and over. He thought he had just been sleeping for a few hours in the times he had stopped to rest. He hadn't bothered to check anything else. Eveline had been hurt? Mary had needed him? Where was he?
Alec clutched the phone to his chest. Reading each painful message over and over again. Tears burned as they fell from his eyes. I’d hate to trouble you with what’s most important in YOUR little world, Alec. He swallowed and sobbed as he lay on the ground. “Mary…” He whispered. “Mary…I’m so… I’m so sorry.”

Alec crumbled inside. Papers? She was sending him papers in the mail? She was leaving him? His Mary. His wife. He saw her standing in the rain, her golden dress on, the anger and confusion in her eyes as he chased her halfway around the island after that stupid ball. He was never good enough for her. She was so good. She was so determined. She was so level-headed and she challenged everything he ever knew. She was the only thing in the world he ever wanted and he never deserved her.
He knew it too. He never deserved her smiles. Her laughter. Her grace. Her understanding. Her love. She had told him everything about herself and he couldn’t bear to tell her more than stock answers about himself. He devoured every word she spoke to memory. Every emotion she shared. She was so good and he was so bad for her but he wanted her anyways.
He stared at his phone numbly. It was a picture of her. It had always been her. Her eyes were filled with laughter. Her hand was shoving the camera away. She was trying to scowl at him for sneaking the picture. She couldn’t do it though because he had caught her off guard after telling a joke. He couldn’t even remember the joke anymore. He just remembered her laughter.
“What are you doing?” She had narrowed her eyes at him while laughing.
“Absolutely nothing! I got an email from work. You know. Work. Money. Politics. All that jazz.”
She shook her head, still laughing when her eyes went wider. “You are NOT taking my picture like that. No!” She shoved the camera away.
“Picture? What could you possibly be…” He had forgotten to turn the camera sound off. “Talking about. That was not what you think it was. Don’t-”
“Delete that!” She tried to glare at him through her laughter. “You’re being ridiculous!”
He took another one. “What? Take more pictures of my beautiful wife? Of course I will!”
She rolled her eyes. “Stop! I just got done punching a training dummy half to death.”
“Roar indeed, the beautiful lioness Mary finished her hunt, bringing home the slaughter for her pathetic, lucky husband.” He held the camera up and took another picture.
Mary couldn’t stop laughing but she tried so hard to be serious. “You’re ridiculous.” She shook her head.
“I love you, Mary.” He held up the camera, raising his eyebrows as he hoped to take one more picture.
She made that face, preparing to shove his phone away again. “I love you too.” She said with an exaggerated sigh.

He had taken everything for granted.
He needed to talk to her. He needed to win her back.

Mary stood and stared at herself in the mirror. Her heart was aching. Everything hurt. Why did he care now? Why now? She gripped the edge of the sink as she struggled to breathe.
Her phone was going off. Again. Part of her wanted to snap - to answer it and tell him to never call her again.
The other part of her wanted to believe the never-ending stream of text messages that told her about how sorry he was and what a fool he was. He was most certainly a fool, to put it kindly. Yet Mary couldn’t let it go. She had done everything alone since she got here. They didn’t have a marriage anymore in her mind, just a husk of what there once was.
How much of it was built on a lie? She couldn’t fathom it. Did she really know her husband? Twenty years together and she had seen glimpses of the nasty side of him, but she just assumed it wasn’t really him.

She took in a breath and closed her eyes when there was a knock and one of Edward’s daughter’s, Rachelle, appeared in the doorway. Edward and her twin sister, Lakisha were at the hospital due to Lakisha’s asthma acting up. Rachelle stared at her with concern in her eyes. “Aunt Mary? Are you ok?”
Mary let out a breath through her closed lips and she nodded slowly. “Yeah, Elle. Just checking to see if I look as tired as I feel…” She laughed lightly. “I do.”
Rachelle frowned slightly and thought on it for a minute. “Aunt Mary?”
“Hm?” Mary hummed.
“Whenever I feel bad, I do something different with myself. I feel like if I look bad, I feel bad… but if I like how I look, I’m less likely to feel bad.” She paused. “I don’t know… maybe that might help you?”
Mary looked back at her tired eyes in the mirror and then at Rachelle again before smiling softly. “I think that’s a great idea.” She pulled herself away from the sink. “Do you think you can help me with that?
Rachelle smiled widely back at her. “Oh! Yes! I love shopping! Let’s go!”
Mary and Rachelle spent the afternoon running from salon to clothing stores to shoe stores and more. While shopping usually exhausted and annoyed Mary, today felt different - freeing. Mary cut off her hair - cut off the dead weight that came with it. She had forgotten how good it felt to not care about her hair, only this time she didn’t have to call herself James.

Maybel got fussier as the day went on and eventually Mary and Rachelle had to call it quits. They grabbed some food at the local fast food joint and headed back for home.
Home for Edward, that is. Mary had been eyeing some different houses and apartments she could rent soon, but the thought of being alone seemed so daunting at first.
It seemed a little less so now. Rachelle was talking about the new boy in school and Maybel had fallen asleep in the car when they pulled up the drive. Mary’s eyes caught onto the man sitting on the stoop of the house, looking worse for the wear.

Alec.
Rachelle’s eyes drifted that way and back to Mary. “Aunt Mary…?”
“Go ahead and take Maybel inside, Elle.”
Rachelle nodded quickly and ducked up the drive with Maybel in her arms.
Mary took in a breath as she was rushed with every emotion she didn’t want to feel. She clutched the steering wheel a little while longer before she finally got out of the car, shutting the door behind her. She walked slowly, feeling numb and angry.
Alec’s eyes stared at her with a hint of surprise before shifting to longing and anguish again. “Mary…”
“You shouldn’t be here.” Mary’s voice was cold.
He swallowed. “Please… I just need to talk to you…”
“Oh? Is that what you need? That’s interesting… you know I needed to talk to you some time ago, but I wasn’t important enough for you then.”
She could see the sting from her words hit his face, he looked at her with pain in his eyes. “I know…” He whispered. “I’m… I’m sorry.”

His apology nearly buckled her, but she steeled her nerves. She was just too angry to take his apology at face value. “Are you really sorry? Or are you just sorry that it was inconvenient for you?”
Alec’s chest was heaving as he seemed out of breath from the comment. He shook his head slowly. “You’ve never been…”
Mary held up her hand. “Our whole relationship was based around your convenience. So long as things were going well for you, things would be fine for us. The minute things got hard for you, though? Eveline and I were the first to be forgotten.”
“No… Mary, please; I want to explain-” He took a step forward, yet he seemed to be shrinking inside himself.

“Explain what? Now you want to explain things?! You’re joking right?! We were together for twenty years!” She threw her hands out in front of her. “TWENTY! You NEVER told me anything about your past if you could help it.” She clenched her fists tightly. “Hell, Alec; would you have ever told me about your father if Olivia hadn’t forced you to?! Would I have had to have found out from the way he waltzed into our home and grabbed our daughter?!
“I just didn’t want to drag you into his mess, Mary…” Alec frowned.
Mary rolled her eyes and scowled. “Right, so falling in love with me, getting me pregnant and marrying me wouldn’t have done that?”
“It was before I knew-”
She closed her eyes and looked away from him, sighing harshly. “I don’t care, Alec. What do you want? What do you really want? I’m tired of you messing with my head. You love me; you don’t. You don’t want to talk to me; you do. I’m a good wife; I’m selfish and can’t possibly understand you. Just… pick one and get out of here. It’ll change nothing.”

Alec felt his world crumbling. He had to make this better. He fell to his knees in front of her. “I… I do love you, Mary. I love you so, so much. I want… I want to fix this… please?” His voice was just a whisper.
Mary shook her head quickly, trying to keep her eyes off of the man she once loved. “Alec… please… get off the ground… please…” She kept shaking her head. “Get up!”
“Please, Mary! I need you.” He begged.
Mary felt a tear fall from her eyes, but his words only made her angrier. He needs her now, now that he realizes that she’s gone and no longer convenient. Mary shook her head again. “No, Alec. It’s just too little, too late.” She couldn’t stand to see how gutted her words left him, so she strode past him quickly and into the house, shutting the door tightly behind her.

Offline LivvieLove

• Queen of Mush
  • Watcher
« Reply #941 on: June 22, 2016, 10:41:51 PM »
Too Little, Too Late: Part Two
Midnight Hollow: Present Day
It had been three weeks since Edward had to take his daughter to the hospital because Johanna had thrown out her inhalers. He had been so infuriated that his ex-wife would be so petty, but now she had stooped to an all-new low. He sat numb at the dining table; he could hardly breathe. This wasn’t happening to him. It couldn’t be happening. He put his head in his hands.
“What’s up, Ed?” Mary called from the doorway.

Edward looked at her with heavy eyes and panic on his face. “Johanna… She’s…”
“Daddy? I’m home! Study Club got canceled! Kind of a bummer, but that’s ok! Where are you anyways? I wanted to tell you about my day!” Laughter filled the hallway.
Edward scrambled to flip the papers he was staring at over on the table as a bright, violet-eyed girl poked her head into the dining room - Lakisha.
“What are you doing in here, silly?” She smiled brightly at him; her eyes caught onto Mary. “Oh! Hi Aunt Mary! I’m sorry! I didn’t realize you were in here too!”
Edward tried to smile at her normally. “Hey baby girl.”
Mary mimicked Edward’s smile gently. “Hey Lala.” She said warmly. “Is Elle with you?”

Lakisha shrugged her shoulders lightly, but laughed warmly all the same. She was forever cheerful. “Just me! Elle is… I’m not sure. She doesn’t often include me in things… but she’s very busy. She has a lot of friends, she’s very popular at school, and she’s captain of a lot of clubs.” Lakisha was counting three things on her fingers and her smile grew wider. She had a habit of counting three positive things for every negative thing she thought about - and it was no secret that Rachelle had taken to bullying her twin at school. Yet Lala only ever said kind things about her. Mary never quite understood how someone could remain so cheerful all the time.
“How was school, baby?” Edward leaned on the table, looking at her with his weary but warm eyes.
Lakisha stepped fully into the room, beaming with excitement. “Oh! I got my math test back! I got a B on it! I was so happy, daddy! I was really nervous about that test, but I know I did my best. I didn’t even need my inhaler today - oh, and we’ll be having a Choir concert in a week! I’m so excited! Will you go, Aunt Mary?” Again, she counted each positive thing on her fingers.
Mary smiled at her warmly. “I wouldn’t miss it for the world.” She paused. “It sounds like you’ve had a good day, Lala.”

Lala giggled. “Everyday is a good day if you're looking at it in the right light, Aunt Mary. There’s no such thing as bad days.” She shook her head but smiled still. “There will always be more positive things in the world than negative. You just have to look for them, right, daddy?”
Edward smiled at her genuinely. “That’s right, baby girl.” He paused and looked at Mary briefly before turning back to Lakisha. “Hey, Lala… sweetheart? Why don’t you go upstairs and check on Maybel. Aunt Mary and I are looking at some not-so-great paperwork.”
Lala nodded. “Of course! I’m sorry if I interrupted!”
Edward shook his head. “Never, sweetheart. I’ll come up and you can tell me more about your day when we’re finished up here, ok?”
Lala smiled brightly and nodded before tipping her head and curtseying slightly. She turned and skipped out of the room and up the stairs.
“She’s my little ball of sunshine, it seems.” Edward chuckled. “Never a dark day with her in the house. Meanwhile Rachelle has more attitude than the entire Drama Club combined.”
Mary laughed hollowly. “It’s hard to believe they’re twins sometimes.”
“You have no idea, Mary.” Edward frowned then before turning the paperwork back over.
“So what’s up, Ed? You’re making me worry with that face you’re making. You said it’s Johanna?” Mary sat down slowly, looking at him with concern.

“She’s taking me to court, Mary.” He breathed. “It’s not… it’s not good.”
“Court? What for?” Mary shook her head. She felt her phone start vibrating in her pocket and she looked down to check it idly, in case Eveline were calling. Instead she saw Alec’s name and her heart stopped. She swallowed and sent it to voicemail. Another voicemail she would ignore. Another pleading voicemail. Why was he doing this now? She had figured he would’ve given up by this point, but he was still determined.
“He’s calling again, isn’t he?” Edward shook his head with an annoyed sigh. “I don't want to rush you into doing something, Mary... but he's only going to get worse the longer you wait. Do you still want to put those papers in?”
“I know... and I do.” She whispered softly. “Sometimes I just wonder if maybe he really is back to his senses… but then I remember how coldly he treated me… and I… I mean… how can I just forget that? I’m his wife when it’s convenient for him, and when it's not I'm better off a statue in his world.”
Edward reached over and grasped her hand. “You deserve better than that, Sis.” Mary looked into the eyes of her older brother and resisted the urge to fall apart. Edward always kept her together. All those years they grew up it was them against the world, and that's how it would always be. Edward was a hot-head and she overanalyzed everything. She was there to cool him off and he was there to help her sort through the messy emotional side of life. She squeezed his hand back and nodded.

“Enough about this… why is Johanna taking you to court?”
Edward pushed the papers her direction and Mary skimmed over them briefly as her eyes became wide.
“She wants the girls?! No way! She can’t! She’s the one who left you! She forfeit all her rights to the kids when she did that! She doesn’t stand a chance!” Mary shoved the papers away then as she scoffed at them.
“It’s not just that, Mary.” Edward said darkly. “She’s saying I threw her out.” He stared at the table. “She’s saying that I’ve prevented proper authority from taking place due to my position as a cop, that I’m abusive, and she’s using our history from ol’ Isla to back up her claim.”
Mary shook her head firmly. “That’s utter crap. It’s complete and utter crap and everyone knows it, Ed.”
His face did not reflect Mary’s certainty. “I’ve been summoned back to Bridgeport. I have to take the girls with me to hand over to her or they’ll be taken from me.” His eyes grew slightly glassy as he looked at Mary. “I can’t lose my girls, Mary. They’re my life.”
Mary frowned. “You won’t lose your girls, Ed. I promise. This letter is probably just a bluff - she’s got nothing to stand on, Edward!”
The doorbell rang eerily and Mary and Edward shared a dismal look.
Edward slowly pulled himself to his feet and walked towards the door with Mary following a bit behind him. “Hey dad? I think it’s Officer Mai. Is she coming over for dinner tonight?” Lakisha called from around the corner, a baby girl in her arms. “I can help cook!”

Mary held her hand out to stop Lakisha as she looked at Edward nervously. Neither of them were expecting visitors. Edward pulled the door open and was greeted by a solemn face.
“Mai, what can I do for you?” Edward leaned against the doorway, blocking her entry. Perhaps it was the look on her face or the strange timing of it all, but Edward already knew where the conversation was heading.
“I’m… sorry, Edward. I’m… I’m here for the girls.” She looked at him with sympathy and sadness.
Edward shook his head. “No, you can’t do that. I know my rights, Officer Mai.” Edward was clenching his fists.
Mai handed him a paper from her pocket. “I’m… sorry.” It was all she could manage.
Edward skimmed the page and felt his heart break. He slowly brought a hand up to rub his face slowly. “Bridgeport? Really? She left us! She can’t just take my girls away from me!”
“Please, Edward…” Mai looked around nervously and her voice lowered. “They’re investigating you right now. We all like you, Ed, but they’re taking reports of your potential abuse of the system very seriously. Please don’t fight this and give them a reason to suspect truth in the lies.”
Edward looked like he was about to pop. He gripped the papers in his hands before he slowly nodded his head. “Lakisha?” He called without looking back.
Lakisha came around the corner holding Maybel, confusion and worry in her eyes. “Yeah, daddy?”
“Go and pack you and your sisters’ things. Officer Mai is going to accompany you to the airport where you will be transported to Bridgeport.” His voice was low and quiet.
Lakisha looked at her father and Officer Mai with a small bit of defiance in her eyes. “Bridgeport? Why? Why are we going back to Bridgeport?”
Officer Mai took a small step forward and nodded slightly. “Your mother has gained a temporary order of full custody of you and your sisters, Lala. I’m sorry. I don’t want to do this, but… I have to.”

Lakisha’s eyes went big as she looked at Edward. Sadness was filling her usually cheerful face. “But… you can’t! I… I want to say here… I want to stay with my dad!” Lakisha tightened her grip on the toddler in her arms. “Please… please don’t make me go, daddy.”
Officer Mai frowned. “I’m sorry, Lala. Please… I need you to go upstairs and gather all of your necessities and your sisters too. She’s being collected by Officer Yates from the High School.”
Lakisha stood firmly, her eyes looking at Edward.
Edward looked at her with sadness in his eyes. “Do as she says, baby.”
Maybel started to cry from the tension, and a soft tear fell out of Lakisha’s eyes. “You’re coming with us, right, daddy? You’re not going to leave us like mom did… right? What happens if I can’t breathe? What if I need you?”
Edward looked at Officer Mai wearily, “can I speak to my daughter alone for a minute?” Mai’s face shifted to discomfort as she looked around the room. “Please?” Edward begged.
“I’ll… I’ll be right outside the door. I really… really shouldn’t.” Mai stressed.

“Thank you.” Edward whispered to her gratefully. Mai stepped outside the door and Edward walked over to his children. Lakisha’s tears were accompanied by ragged breathing and Maybel was wiggling and wailing. He put his hands on Lakisha's shoulders and pulled her into a hug with Maybel held between them. “Everything will be ok, baby girl. I’ll be right behind you. Ok? We’re going to get this mess sorted out and we’ll be back in time for your concert.” He rubbed her back softly and reached in to kiss Maybel’s head. “Just breathe normally, Lala. Breathe with me. In… and out… think about all the good things that happened today and focus on your breathing. Everything will be ok, baby.” Maybel reached and tugged on one of Edward’s dreadlocks as she sniffled and calmed by being near him. Edward smiled sadly and hugged them tighter to him.
Mary watched them as her heart was breaking. Nothing had gone right for anyone since moving to this town. Everything was in shambles.
Officer Mai poked her head back in then. “We really need to get going; Rachelle has been collected from the school.”
Edward looked at her while still hugging Lakisha and Maybel close to him. “Can I see her before she goes?”
Mai’s face looked pained and she slowly shook her head. “I’m sorry… Edward… I’m really giving you more than I’m allowed to already…”
Edward closed his eyes and nodded. He slowly pulled away from Lakisha who started crying harder while she clutched Mabel. “No… NO! Please! I don’t want to go!” She shook her head and had trouble breathing in and out regularly. Maybel started crying and reaching for Edward from Lakisha’s arms. Lakisha turned her tear stained face to Mai. “Please… please don’t make me go… please…”

Another Officer approached the open doorway and poked their head in. “Officer Mai? We need to get going. Are those the other two girls?”
Officer Mai slowly nodded, and the second Officer came into the room, reaching out to grab Maybel. “We can always have new things bought for them to sustain them until Edward ships the necessities. We need to get them to the airport before the plane takes off.”
Edward was clenching his fists and gritting his teeth. It was taking all of his strength to not fight back. The old Edward wouldn’t have hesitated to punch them out and deal with the consequences later… but he was not that Edward anymore. He was a dad now, and his girls always came first. Maybel was screaming at the top of her little lungs and Lakisha was sobbing as they started to pull her towards the doorway. She looked at Edward with big eyes. “Dad... Daddy! Please... I don’t want to go!”
A tear fell from Edward’s eyes. “I’ll be right behind you baby, I promise! I’ll be right behind you!” Lakisha was ushered out the door and Edward surged forward, “do you have your inhaler, baby?!”

Lakisha’s eyes went big and Edward turned and ran up the stairs as fast as he could muster. He burst into the bathroom and tore through each cabinet until he grabbed the spare one he kept for her there. Just as quickly he took the stairs two at a time down and threw all of his weight on the door. Lakisha sat in the back of the police car, trembling while she held her baby sister. Edward began knocking furiously on the window until Officer Mai rolled it down slowly.
“Edward…” She warned.
Edward quickly stuck his head in and handed Lakisha her inhaler. “Just hold on, ok? I’ll be right behind you. I promise.” He closed her hand around the inhaler and squeezed it. “I promise!” He repeated. “Call me when you get in. Take your medication at night before bed. Don’t panic. Everything will be ok. Remember to breathe like how the doctors taught you. Call me anytime you need to, baby. Everything will be ok-”
“Edward! Please!” Officer Mai gave him a warning look and he slowly backed out of the car.
“I love you both. Tell Elle I love her. I’m right behind you!” He watched the car back out of the drive and disappear around the corner. His whole body ached. He wanted to collapse to the ground and scream, but he held it in. He had to pack.
He would be on the next flight to Bridgeport no matter what it took.

Eveline woke up slowly to the movement of Jupiter next to her. She smiled softly and pressed herself closer to him. They had mostly kept to separate rooms when they had first reestablished their relationship. It hadn’t lasted long before Eveline had Jupiter move his slab into her bedroom. That change lasted all of a few hours the first night. Eveline had stayed up most of the night just talking to him. They went back and forth, and he made her laugh until her sides hurt - just like he had done when they went to Egypt. When they had gotten quiet she had asked if he would let her see his face again. He had. He had new scars, yet his face was still the same face she had always loved. He told her about the markings he got. She always tried to imagine them, but she only ever saw his eyes the night everything fell apart.

He never let her think about it for long. Things were different this time and she could feel it. She had been hesitant to believe him at first, but every inch she gave him he took and never gave back. All the hesitation and anxiety was gone from his actions and words. He took her on dates every, single night she was free and he often would be around to pick her up directly after she got off work, or to go to lunch with her during the day. He had taken up Professional Photography and it gave him a very flexible schedule, and - as he would put it - plenty of excuses to take her out to formal weddings and events. He was so determined to show her - and anyone who would listen - how happy he was to be with her. Despite the happiness she felt with him, she still had to wonder how long it would last this time.
“Good morning.” She whispered to him as she felt a smile pulling on her lips.
Jupiter, whose arms were around her, pulled her closer against him and buried his face into her hair, inhaling deeply. “You’re up early.” He whispered back. “Good morning, beautiful.”
Eveline felt her cheeks turning pink and she swatted at him lightly. “I may not know what time it is, but it’s far too early for you to be making me blush.”

His hand came up and he brushed the hair out of her face. “It’s never too early for that, trust me.” She could hear the grin in his voice before he kissed her cheek and then her jaw. He stopped then and the silence seemed to carry on as she figured out what he was staring at - the vampire bite on her neck. “Does it hurt still?” He whispered as his finger traced the scar lightly.
Eveline shook her head. “Sometimes when I remember that night I’ll feel the cold again, but it certainly doesn’t hurt me.”
He rested his forehead against her head then and sighed. “I’m so sorry, Eveline.”
“You gave up your cure for me, Jupiter. Why are you sorry?” Eveline twisted in his grip to face more towards him. She reached her hands forward to touch his face. She could feel the sadness and worry in his expression.
“That whole night never should have happened. It makes me angry to know what he did to you.” Anger wasn’t the only thing he felt though, and that was the worst part of it. He wanted to pretend he was angry about it, but in reality that wasn’t it at all. Eveline now had the mark of Lucien on her neck. Not his mark, but Lucien’s.
It was a symbol of ownership in the vampire community, and he had only ever become more attuned to the customs since his transition into a Vampire Lord rather than less. Everything in the world was owned by something - it was part of what his enhanced vision told him. Eveline was not his, and it enraged the beast that he kept chained inside himself.
It was a reminder of what a monster he was - that his only primal need was to possess her as much as he possibly could. As dark as it was, it was still better than having to resist draining every last drop of blood from her. He wanted to bite her and drink her blood - that was for sure, but not for the sake of hunger this time, but possessiveness. Jupiter had to wonder if there was any irony to the situation.

“Is that really what it is?” Eveline’s face scrunched with curiosity. He had a small obsession with the bite mark on her neck and she was beginning to wonder if it was really upset about her being attacked or if there was more to the puzzle. This also wasn’t the first time he had asked if it still hurt her. A thought passed through her mind idly. “Do you want to drink my blood?” She was trying to piece it together.
His grip had tightened on her and he cleared his throat suddenly. “No, not at all. Why?” His mind was screaming yes and he could feel the monster in himself yanking on the walls of the cage. Her gentle pulse, the magic that radiated in her. She could be his. She would only ever be his.
Eveline’s brow furrowed together but she smiled. “You’re lying!” She teased.
Jupiter gritted his teeth silently. “I’m a vampire, Eveline.” He tried to shake it off. “Just because I was upgraded doesn’t mean the urge isn’t still there.” He said quickly.
She pursed her lips, not sure if she believed him or not but eventually she shrugged. “You’re welcome to have it.”
He resisted tightening his grip on her again, fearing he would hurt her accidentally. “Have… have what?” He swallowed slowly. Is she giving him permission? No. She can’t. Even if she did, he can’t. He would never hurt her in that way. He always told himself that.
Eveline made a face at him. “My pancakes.” She laughed and then shook her head. “My blood, silly.”
“I don’t want to hurt you.” He whispered, his eyes lingering on her neck.
Eveline let out a breathy laugh. “You won’t. Don’t you remember what you told me a while ago? It’s supposed to feel good for both participants when done right… isn’t it?”

Jupiter sucked in his lips. He didn’t need convincing. He needed more convincing not to. “It… does…” He started. “But it also has the chance of turning the… victim-” As that’s what she would be - a victim of him. The word was a careful reminder to himself of why he needed to stay firm in his resolve. “-into a thrall, and that’s not something I could be ok with when it comes to you, Eveline.”
“A thrall?” She pursed her lips. “What’s so bad about that? Doesn’t that just mean I would be obsessed with you? I already am.” She teased.
He frowned. “It’s more than that, Eveline.” He brushed her cheek with a fingertip. “Thralls are people who lose their free will in favor of the Vampire who controls them. I could never do that to you. You mean far, far too much to me.”
“Do you become a thrall from just one bite?” She was curious now. “I thought it took more than that.”
“It does… I just…” He sighed. “It can be addictive. I can’t… I can’t begin to describe it.”
“Addictive for you… or addictive for me?” Eveline snuggled up closer to him.
“Both.” Jupiter swallowed. “That’s the trouble.”
Eveline smiled deviously and tipped her head into the bed, further exposing her neck to him. “Trouble, huh?”

Jupiter rolled his eyes and took in a deep breath, inhaling her scent. He desired it, yes, but it wasn’t going to break him. “You’re trouble. You know that?” He mumbled as he took in another deep breath.
Eveline pouted then and pulled away enough to cross her arms slightly. “I am not.”
He chuckled and pulled her back to him. “Are too.” He let out a calm breath. “I love every minute of it.”
Her pout slowly turned into a smile and they rested in the quiet.
“Eveline?” Jupiter broke their silence after a minute.
“Mhm?”
“Would you… go somewhere with me?” He asked slowly.
Eveline smiled big, “somewhere? With you? Gee, I don’t know, Jupiter. I only go places with you every day.” She paused only briefly. “Where would you like to go?”
“Somewhere… farther away than usual.” He looked at her with a bit of anxiety. “If that’s ok with you?”
Eveline pursed her lips but smiled brightly. “Oh? Where would we be going?”
Jupiter sucked in his lips. “Secret.”
“Super secret?” Eveline looked at him curious, contemplating. “How long would we be gone to this… ‘farther away, secret’ place?”

“As long as I can steal you for. How much time can you get off?” He worried she wouldn’t get any time off with a potential red out coming any day now. The month had been free of them thus far, but everyone was holding their breaths as they waited for one to strike.
“I can call in sick for a long weekend, would that be enough time?” Eveline asked hopefully.
Jupiter nodded then, “I think that should be just enough time.”
Eveline squealed and hugged him. “When do we leave?!”
Jupiter smiled. “As soon as you’re ready?”
Eveline threw herself out of bed suddenly and ran for the dresser to gather her things. Jupiter grinned at her and propped himself up on the bed. She started to talk over her shoulder. “Are we flying there? I’ll tell Seema to cover for me! How hot will it be? No! Don’t tell me, I’ll just pack everything…”
Jupiter chuckled under his breath as he watched her scrambling to grab everything. He had called in a few favors, and she wouldn’t need anything.
He just hoped she’d say ‘yes.’

Offline oshizu

• Watcher
    • oshizu's asylum
« Reply #942 on: June 22, 2016, 11:24:53 PM »
Ohhh, what sad chapters!

Poor Alex--I really don't want the son of Majnun and Anne to come to an unhappy ending. I want him to live the joy that Anne so deserved!
Mary, please, let him tell you what's been happening with him! (because we still don't know...)

I also feel very bad for Edward and his girls. How could a mother who throws out her daughter's inhaler succeed in obtaining custody?

Wel, at least Eveline and Jupiter are back in love! Can't wait to learn where this very secret location is!

Offline LivvieLove

• Queen of Mush
  • Watcher
« Reply #943 on: June 23, 2016, 12:32:30 AM »
Ohhh, what sad chapters!

Poor Alex--I really don't want the son of Majnun and Anne to come to an unhappy ending. I want him to live the joy that Anne so deserved!
Mary, please, let him tell you what's been happening with him! (because we still don't know...)

I also feel very bad for Edward and his girls. How could a mother who throws out her daughter's inhaler succeed in obtaining custody?

Wel, at least Eveline and Jupiter are back in love! Can't wait to learn where this very secret location is!
I know, I've had quite a few sadder chapters in a row lately. I'm sorry if this seems a little much! There should be some lighter chapters coming soon. I'm also trying my best to balance out the dark with a few happier moments sparsed out in between.
As for Alec, I feel bad for him and I don't at the same time. I'm mostly cheering on Mary in that gorgeous makeover as she tells him to get himself together!
On the other hand, he really did break a little bit when he realized Mary wasn't home. (Shrugs)

Johanna is a piece of work. I just... I don't know what else to say. I love Lala though. Oh Lala is such a gem! She reminds me so much of Anne. Johanna is one of those "you don't need medication to get better" kinds of parents and Lala needs her inhaler. Johanna shouldn't have gotten custody, but she has friends in high places (ahem, coughcough she-slept-with-them-and-cheated-on-Edward-with-them >:( coughcough) which can make Edward's life very difficult. On the plus side, however - Edward also has friends in high places. That will still make for one long custody battle...

<3 Eveline and Jupiter! Whoop, whoop! Their mush always brightens my chapters up.

Offline PeregrineTook

• Watcher
  • aka Pippin, the Most Tenacious Simmer
« Reply #944 on: June 23, 2016, 10:03:40 AM »
Lala walked in and was instantly adorable and glorious and then we got kicked in the souls.  Sigh.
Eveline's pancake comment was lovely!  Nice bit of comic relief after the seriousness of the chapter.