Author Topic: [BUG] Sims Can't Cook/Fridge [Possible Fixes]  (Read 68087 times)

Offline imayu94

• Townie
  • I overcomplicate.
    • Sims Stories
[BUG] Sims Can't Cook/Fridge [Possible Fixes]
« on: December 18, 2014, 02:56:35 AM »
Updated: August.5.2018

Some parts of this bug has been fixed, however there are players still having issues with this bug. Please look through the tips given in the post linked below:

Re: Can't Cook
http://www.carls-sims-4-guide.com/forum/index.php?topic=22548.msg401582#msg401582

----
If after you've tried the tips in the post linked above, please consider creating a report about it at Answers HQ.

Sims can't cook/can't use fridge
http://answers.ea.com/t5/The-Sims-4-Bug-Reports/Info-Request-Sims-can-t-cook-can-t-use-fridge/m-p/4345691#U4345691

If you find you have this bug, please go over to answer.ea.com using the link above and click the Me Too button. -- If we click me too for it, that should help get it some attention.

Original Question under the spoiler tag:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
“With great power... comes great need to take a nap. Wake me up later.”

Offline Playalot

• Global Moderator
  • Watcher
Re: Can't Cook.
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2014, 03:18:31 AM »
Yep, I had the exact same bug. I tried everything else before I finally had to uninstall TS4 through Origin. Then once I had re-installed my game all the bugs were gone. (I had more than just not being able to cook).

(I tried emptying the cache, repairing game using origin, traveling with all the sims, deleting the fridge/oven... etc etc Nothing fixed it apart from uninstalling/re-installing )

All my games/saves/files etc were still there after the process, nothing else changed, just all the bugs were gone.

This thread here has some more info etc about the process of uninstalling through Origin.

http://www.carls-sims-4-guide.com/forum/index.php/topic,22251.0.html

But basically you just right-click TS4 in Origin and 'uninstall' is an option.   Once it is uninstalled you just click on the game in origin and 'download' is the option to install it back again.
“Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.”  ― Dr. Seuss
A Hollingsworth Immortal TS4 Dynasty-Completed Hall of Fame
A Teen Runaway Story - Pets Completed

Remember the Forum Rules. They're there to be followed.

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline imayu94

• Townie
  • I overcomplicate.
    • Sims Stories
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2014, 07:23:37 AM »
The problem was resolved when I restarted the game. Thanks Playalot!

Can I ask: what other bugs have you been noticing? There are some changes in the game that I'm not sure if a bug or just a permanent change in the UI.  :-\
“With great power... comes great need to take a nap. Wake me up later.”

Offline Playalot

• Global Moderator
  • Watcher
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2014, 12:34:35 PM »
I hope that solution lasts, as it solved the problem for me when I restarted only to come back the next day when I started my game again! Fingers crossed for you!  :)

The patch notes here have all the details. Yes, there were a lot of changes!

http://www.carls-sims-4-guide.com/forum/index.php/topic,22531.0.html
“Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.”  ― Dr. Seuss
A Hollingsworth Immortal TS4 Dynasty-Completed Hall of Fame
A Teen Runaway Story - Pets Completed

Remember the Forum Rules. They're there to be followed.

Offline Pam

• Community Manager
  • Forum Founder and Friend
  • Watcher
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2015, 11:45:57 PM »
I just started having this very same problem.  My Sim could cook perfectly fine yesterday, but not now.  Nothing has been added to or changed in my game.  The current update had already been done and cooking was fine.  I tried restarting my game and still nothing.  I also tried to cook using the stove, but no good.  The grill works, but that's it.  Does anyone have any more information about this.  Maybe a suggestion that will mean no reinstall yet?
Read and heed the Forum Rules, please!

Support the site when you purchase online!
Dreamweaver Immortal Dynasty
Dreamweaver 4 x 4 Dynasty
Pam's Sims 4 World Blog

"Half of my posts are correcting people. The other 49% is moving threads."

Online MrsFlynn

• Admin Assistant
  • Administrator
  • Watcher
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2015, 12:17:45 AM »
Updated: August.5.2018

This is still an on-going issue, please see the suggested troubleshooting tips:

1. Rearrange your kitchen to make sure nothing is blocking the stove, fridge, sink etc.

(Example: a window in front/side of the fridge. = If it opens into the window's space. That may cause problems)

Also, put up the walls to see if there's any cabinets, vents or decor items that maybe too large and/or blocking the Sims from cooking or getting to the stove, microwave and/or fridge. - It's been reported removing the obstructing item helps. For example, if you put the pots and pans decor above the stove and it hangs down to far, your Sims won't be able to cook.

2. Delete the fridge and/or stove and replace them with less expensive or better appliances.

3. Outdated Mods/CC are known to cause this issue. Best way to test if mods are the problem is:

Move your mods folder to the desktop, clear the game cache and delete the localthumbcache.package from the Sims 4 folder to help make sure there isn't any issues with mods. Like mods/cc that are outdated or no longer in game.

How-To: Fix Problems with Mods/CC
http://www.carls-sims-4-guide.com/forum/index.php?topic=25031.msg426156#msg426156

4. Turn on cheats, 'testingcheats true' then right-click on the fridge and click 'debug'. Turn off cheat after you are finished.

5. The house itself may be bugged. Save household to library. Place a different house on lot, and move household back in.

6. Repair Game:
In Origin > Games Library, right-click on Sims 4 and select Repair. - Do note this repairs the game's install files for the actual game. It does not make any changes to the saved game files. Meaning that your saved games are safe, they won't be deleted.

7. Start a new game for testing purposes to see if the same issue pops up. This helps determine if it's something in the older save or not.

If you've tried everything above and nothing is working, please consider creating a report about it at EA AHQ Sims 4 Bug Report Forum - https://answers.ea.com/t5/Bug-Reports/bd-p/The-Sims-4-Bugs

Delete Game Cache Files (What and How-To)
http://www.carls-sims-4-guide.com/forum/index.php?topic=29288.msg401662#msg401662
Welcome!! We hope you enjoy the forum!!  Thank you for visiting!!
–Need Help? Check our Member FAQs Here. * –Read and follow the Forum Rules, please! *

Offline Pam

• Community Manager
  • Forum Founder and Friend
  • Watcher
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2015, 05:55:58 AM »
@MrsFlynn:

I'm going to try some different files first.  And, honestly, I'm not yet familiar enough with Sims 4 and the new fangled ways it does things to clear all the caches.  If we have a topic about it, would you mind linking it for me? 

Edited to Add:

Whatever the problem was seems to have disappeared.  I cleaned some malware off of my computer tonight, so that may have been the problem.  Cooking seems to be working fine now.

Read and heed the Forum Rules, please!

Support the site when you purchase online!
Dreamweaver Immortal Dynasty
Dreamweaver 4 x 4 Dynasty
Pam's Sims 4 World Blog

"Half of my posts are correcting people. The other 49% is moving threads."

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

weaselpie14

Re: Sims Can't Cook?! - Bug
« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2015, 04:35:14 PM »
This particular bug happened to me yesterday. Starting a new game didn't solve it, but a factory reset did. Thank you, this forum/guide is so handy for a new player!

Offline Corgi Cat

• Nooboo
Re: Sims Can't Cook/Fridge Bug [Possible Fixes]
« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2015, 11:53:24 AM »
This just happened to me this morning. I exited the game, deleted the cache files and loaded the game. It works now.

Thanks for the help!

Dellena

« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2015, 05:28:50 PM »
I've had it happen a few times - particularly after upgrading the stove.  I'm starting to get into the habit of deleting the cache files before I start any game.

Offline Joria

• Top Secret
  • Watcher
« Reply #10 on: February 22, 2015, 05:08:45 PM »
Has anyone had any issue with a particular type/level of fridge?  I had the highest level fridge possible without unlocking the one you get from Master Chef and I could neither put anything in it nor remove anything from it but could cook using the stove.  I removed the fridge and stepped down one level and now it all works just fine. 
What?  Grannies can't play games?
I speak perfect Nooblik, (and some Simlish)!

----------
With A Twist, an Immortal Dynasty
My No Buy Story
Joria's Creations on the Gallery

Dellena

« Reply #11 on: February 22, 2015, 05:20:55 PM »
Delete cache files has always fixed this for me.

Offline Joria

• Top Secret
  • Watcher
« Reply #12 on: February 22, 2015, 07:31:03 PM »
I discovered it was because I was using a moved in families' items.  Replace items from families' you've moved in and all should work well.

----------
My No Buy Story

Dellena

« Reply #13 on: February 23, 2015, 01:39:11 AM »
It shouldn't matter if it's from a moved in family or not (and I'm assuming you mean from their family inventory?).

Offline Joria

• Top Secret
  • Watcher
« Reply #14 on: February 23, 2015, 04:22:23 PM »
It shouldn't matter if it's from a moved in family or not (and I'm assuming you mean from their family inventory?).

It shouldn't, but it did.  Every "workable" item from their family inventory did not function completely.  Not sure about the tv and stove but I replaced them anyway.

----------
My No Buy Story

anything