Author Topic: Completing an Immortal Dynasty Hints and Tips (Not Questions)  (Read 240838 times)

Offline eisande

• Proud Player
  • Townie
  • Reader, Writer, Gamer
Re: Completing an Immortal Dynasty Hints and Tips
« Reply #75 on: September 13, 2012, 11:44:43 AM »
Oh, not for someone designated to become immortal, I always get them in the self-employment career. I generally do it to get them out of the house and for story purposes.
- Eisande

Offline amyrose

• Immortal
  • Jorja Phoenix
« Reply #76 on: September 13, 2012, 03:17:13 PM »
Oh, not for someone designated to become immortal, I always get them in the self-employment career. I generally do it to get them out of the house and for story purposes.

I can understand doing it for the story. All Agnes does in my Dynasty is paint, and I'm finding it hard storywise. She doesn't really do anything interesting enough to screenshot, so she's not included much.

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline cathyknits

• Immortal
« Reply #77 on: September 14, 2012, 09:06:52 AM »
More on gem collecting:  the Gem-U-Cut machine from Supernatural makes gem collecting even more profitable. The machine costs less than a single heart-shaped cut done through the mailbox, and all cuts are free. All that stuff on the gem collecting page about break-even points and the most profitable cut for each gem is out the window. Just use the highest cut you've unlocked for any gem, and you will make money on the gem.

(Metals still need to be smelted through the mailbox, alas. The break-even point is still around 57 simoleons, until you get to the point where you routinely get multiple ingots back.)
Immortal Dynasty: A Bouquet of Blossoms

Offline Odinsdottir

• Spline Reticulator
  • Occult
  • Artistic, Natural Cook, Cat Person, Insane, Flirty
« Reply #78 on: September 14, 2012, 09:07:45 AM »
I've just done my first remodel of the house from a tiny little shack taking up 1/10th of the lot to a beautiful Victorian brick house.  The only thing is that it's almost empty, as I'm on generation 1 and they're relatively poor.  The screenshots are pitiful so I've used the crates and luggage from the store WA in miscellaneous decor to make it look like they're still unpacking. 
x, EAOdinsdottir.

A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects.

-Robert A. Heinlein

Offline saltpastillen

• Watcher
« Reply #79 on: September 14, 2012, 04:09:17 PM »
My tip is that if you need to travel for some skills, do it as early as possible in a dynasty. Since the larger the save file you've got the more likely it is for bugs to appear (at least from my personal experience).

Offline Toni

• Sydrian Bookworm
  • Occult
« Reply #80 on: September 14, 2012, 11:53:10 PM »
My tip is that if you need to travel for some skills, do it as early as possible in a dynasty. Since the larger the save file you've got the more likely it is for bugs to appear (at least from my personal experience).

Not only that but with a bigger file, travelling is slow and takes up alot of time. Best to travel early and be able to get skills done fast.

Offline cathyknits

• Immortal
« Reply #81 on: September 17, 2012, 08:42:23 AM »
Judging from things that have come up in the Challenge threads lately, I might throw this one out:

Consider doing your Dynasty in a town without "combination rabbit holes", where two or more rabbit-hole functions are represented by the same building. Career opportunities don't seem to spawn from rabbit hole careers in combo buildings, and now people are reporting that school opportunities won't complete properly if the school is a combo building.

Unfortunately, this tip would limit people to Sunset Valley, Twinbrook, and Riverview, I think.
Immortal Dynasty: A Bouquet of Blossoms

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline Lasnien

• Townie
« Reply #82 on: September 17, 2012, 08:49:28 AM »
Consider doing your Dynasty in a town without "combination rabbit holes", where two or more rabbit-hole functions are represented by the same building. Career opportunities don't seem to spawn from rabbit hole careers in combo buildings, and now people are reporting that school opportunities won't complete properly if the school is a combo building.

Or, consider having all your immortals take a job that's in a singleton rabbit hole at least long enough to round out the career opps. Incidentally, I was wondering why nobody had gotten any career opportunities yet. Looking back, all my (potential) immortals so far in this file have been in the combination rabbit holes. I've since reworked my late game plan to drive them out of those horrid places.

Offline hazelnut

• Watcher
« Reply #83 on: September 18, 2012, 12:56:02 AM »
I wouldn't do it again but I did supermax charisma in my first Immortal Dynasty.  I left it until the last generation and also kept writing in reserve in case it didn't work out.  (I really didn't want to supermax writing because I'd just finished a Legacy that was infested with writers :).)They all seemed to make friends really easily after a while, as if the charisma challenges were working even without the skill being unlocked.  This was over a year ago, though, so it may have been changed on a patch since then.

Offline Deklitch

• Nemesis of Reality
  • Watcher
  • Iceland has over 50 words for snow!
« Reply #84 on: September 22, 2012, 02:52:28 AM »
* Presently I am trying to max self-employed careers and supermax the related skill. Until that is achieved, I purposefully am not permitting that immortal to work on any other skill. After they do that, I intend to give them a rabbit hole career and skills that don't relate to a self-employed career. Founder is my Sculpting Immortal. Silly things are happening constantly that force me to restart.

* I use cats to do the Fishing in the early days, backed up by one or more non-future immortal sims. I then transfer the fish they catch to non-immortal sim members of the household according to a complex formula I work out
        - Lower quality fish go to my mortal gardener/s who use it to fertilize garden
        - Perfect fish go to a Sim who'll hold them for my Fishing Immortal who presents the perfect aquarium LTW
        - Foreign and Rare fish go to a Sim who'll stock a pond with the 10 fish for eternal fishing by my immortal fisher

* If my founder is unable to get someone rich to move in on the first day, they spend the night at the fire station and sleep there. Alternatively, they spend the night at a friend's house ... one of them is currently spending the night with Chauncey Grimm in Midnight Falls.

* Adopted/Time Travel/Cloned kids of the Founder and housemates are helpful in the early days for me at least to help with needed skills and to meet best friend needs. And who knows, Agnes' cloned daughter potentially could be my founder's spouse.

* I've taken to giving my immortal sims very obvious names so that I don't forget who does what. My sim names currently are Sculptor, Painter, Writer, Gardener, Fisher, Photographer, Inventor, Alchemist, Rider, Mixologist, Nectarologist, and their surname is Immortal. Yes, I like planning, and I have decided that it is best to leave writing to almost last along with Alchemy and to have riding rather early in proceedings.

* I use the Biography page in the Scrapbook to keep a track of what needs to happen for each immortal to become immortalised.

* I love the Tabcast item, so much more than the snugabug child swing and that morning routine machine thing.

EDIT
* Bonhilda is great for a laugh, especially the response of 'normal' maids to her'.

Offline Shirin

• Watcher
« Reply #85 on: September 22, 2012, 03:09:01 AM »
* I use the Biography page in the Scrapbook to keep a track of what needs to happen for each immortal to become immortalised.

This...this is brilliant. I don't even know why I didn't think of it, but I do know I'm going to steal borrow it for my Life States Dynasty.

Offline Deklitch

• Nemesis of Reality
  • Watcher
  • Iceland has over 50 words for snow!
« Reply #86 on: September 22, 2012, 06:47:43 AM »
This...this is brilliant. I don't even know why I didn't think of it, but I do know I'm going to steal borrow it for my Life States Dynasty.

I believe I 'borrowed' the idea from someone else, myself. I found doing it in game as opposed to on paper/in a spreadsheet to be much easier for me, and I never forgot to do it.

Offline ratchie

• Global Moderator
  • Watcher
« Reply #87 on: September 22, 2012, 07:12:08 AM »
I know Anushka uses the scrapbook to write dynasty notes in. I have started using it to write story notes and completed opps.

Rachel
Please follow the forum rules.

Offline Odinsdottir

• Spline Reticulator
  • Occult
« Reply #88 on: September 27, 2012, 07:15:43 AM »
Am in the process of failing my first Immortal Dynasty but have spent  so much time with this family I hate to stop playing with them.

@Deklitch I'm going to follow suite with the naming idea.  I like that.  I also adore the tabcast.  I won't be getting Supernatural for aaages but I'd love to have Bonehilda.
x, EAOdinsdottir.

A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects.

-Robert A. Heinlein

Offline Odinsdottir

• Spline Reticulator
  • Occult
« Reply #89 on: September 28, 2012, 07:17:38 AM »
Well, I just failed.

My founder , Kensington Mercury, was a klepto and a professional writer and as a YA I had him spending way too much time out stealing cars and not enough time at home on the computer building his career.  He died at level 8 at 95 days.  I also left gardening too late, and the first life fruit bloomed the night my founder and his wife died. I'd seen he was behind on his career so I focused on that then realised he didn't have enough best friends then poof!  Grimmy came.  He and his beautiful wife Penelope, (nee Penny Pincher) died 30 sim minutes apart. 

So next time, earlier gardening, earlier career slogging and get some charisma so that those friends can be made after aging up to elder. 

LFMF!   :-[
x, EAOdinsdottir.

-Robert A. Heinlein