Author Topic: Completing an Immortal Dynasty Hints and Tips (Not Questions)  (Read 243550 times)

Online Deklitch

• Nemesis of Reality
  • Watcher
  • Iceland has over 50 words for snow!
Re: Completing an Immortal Dynasty Hints and Tips
« Reply #360 on: February 03, 2013, 04:22:08 PM »
A reason for saving Writing for a later generation, and a trick for making use of it: Early on, at least some of your non-immortals are going to be grinding away on painting. Add Writing to that, and you've got a children's book author. Keep at it long enough and you can fill a bookshelf with nice, short children's books that a Bookworm can take to the library and read at record speed. Each book read, regardless of length, boosts your writing speed, so a) the children's book author can end up writing very, very fast if all they do is read each of their own books as it comes in the mail, and b) a later Writing immortal can start with blazing speed by reading all the books left behind by their ancestor, which will make it that much less time-consuming to write the more valuable books needed to supermax the skill or the writing career (which also take longer to read).

Thanks for that tip, Cathy. I'm going to use it with Hugh Jack Victor.

Offline cathyknits

• Immortal
« Reply #361 on: February 04, 2013, 01:04:23 PM »
I've found I'm slightly off on the math - it's apparently not that each book boosts writing speed, but that there's a bonus for hitting 50 books read. The general principle is the same - short books count the same as the long ones, so a previous generation writing children's books can pay off for a Writing immortal. Plus, there are some valuable wishes from reading large numbers of books...
Immortal Dynasty: A Bouquet of Blossoms

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline Magz from Oz

• Watcher
« Reply #362 on: February 04, 2013, 02:26:14 PM »
I've found I'm slightly off on the math - it's apparently not that each book boosts writing speed, but that there's a bonus for hitting 50 books read. The general principle is the same - short books count the same as the long ones, so a previous generation writing children's books can pay off for a Writing immortal. Plus, there are some valuable wishes from reading large numbers of books...

Recipe books also count in those 50 books and many are short. 

Where there is love - there is life. -- Mahatma Gandhi

My Stories:
1. Duty Calls
2. Duty Calls Sequel: Islands of Sunset Valley
3. The Lady of the Lake
4. The Secret Time Traveler

Online Deklitch

• Nemesis of Reality
  • Watcher
« Reply #363 on: February 04, 2013, 03:19:25 PM »
Recipe books also count in those 50 books and many are short. 

Hugh Jack started out at writing level 4 (I think) due to all the books he read for his culinary career. In any case it was high enough for him to start off with children's books (he also had 8 painting skill). His mother, Morganna supermaxed painting when I sent her off to the business/journalism building for the writing class. She started off at level 2 writing. I know she hadn't read many books. She didn't have the option for children's books.

Offline cathyknits

• Immortal
« Reply #364 on: February 04, 2013, 05:15:36 PM »
You get Children's Books from Writing 3, Painting 4. If you've got a Childish sim (trait gives a bonus to Children's book values) or a toddler, you can get Writing 3, Painting 3 from toddler books, and then just need to actually paint for a little while to get that one more point.
Immortal Dynasty: A Bouquet of Blossoms

Offline Ricalynn

• Herder of Raptors, Pineapples, Grims, Gnomes, Alphas & Sassypants Squad.
  • Watcher
  • Addicted to Dynasties? *shifty eyes* Not me.
« Reply #365 on: February 04, 2013, 09:46:09 PM »
Have a self-employment career that just won't level fast enough?  Is it anything but writing?  I learned a nifty new trick to get you closer to that end result without too much effort.   For the self employment careers that are based around a product of a skill that can be sold in buy mode, make one item that's worth a pretty penny.   Go into buy mode and using the delete key or drag method (not the hammer) sell the item.  Hit the undo button to get the item back.  Then sell it again.  Each time you sell it will count towards a wish to earn money or towards a money based career like sculpting or painting.   I haven't tested it too much with produce or fish but I know for a fact it works for sculptures, paintings & inventions. 

I was able to get to level 10 inventing career as well as supermax inventing without hitting level 10 handiness because of this little trick.

This Trick is an extreme exploit and banned from use in any challenge or dynasty.
Origin ID: Ricalynn | Discord: Rica#5389
Current Active Stories: Stayin' Alive: Take 5 - Story about A Grim

Please read and follow the Forum Rules.

Stories: Artie | The Race | Grim Chronicles | Revenge | Licious | Artie's TS4 Dynasty | Grim Rivalries | Speed Dreamin'

Chuckles_82

« Reply #366 on: February 04, 2013, 10:10:30 PM »
Awesome! I knew that worked for completing wishes for sculpting, but I didn't know that it worked for careers! Veerrry handy tip if we have another challenge surrounding careers this year!

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

TheTripWasInfraGreen

« Reply #367 on: February 04, 2013, 10:16:53 PM »
I'm shocked that it's actually allowed for dynasties!

According to my brand new dynasty plans, my one self-employed sim is a jockey. Looks like she'll have to do everything the old-fashioned way.

Offline Ricalynn

• Watcher
« Reply #368 on: February 04, 2013, 10:42:10 PM »
Awesome! I knew that worked for completing wishes for sculpting, but I didn't know that it worked for careers! Veerrry handy tip if we have another challenge surrounding careers this year!

Talked to Metro about it and it's already banned as it's considered an exploit.  Just so you know.  But it's allowed for dynasties because he's not as strict.

Edit: It is now banned for dynasties as well.

As for the Jockey LTW - I will say that it will finish at about 10k.  After that buy a horse, train it all day - sell the horse.  Or keep a horse train it all the way up.. win some races.  Sell the horse, buy the horse back.. sell the horse, buy the horse back.

Stories: Artie | The Race | Grim Chronicles | Revenge | Licious | Artie's TS4 Dynasty | Grim Rivalries | Speed Dreamin'

Chuckles_82

« Reply #369 on: February 05, 2013, 02:48:47 AM »
If you live in Appaloosa Plains you can move in Shadow Hobble. He/she sells for over 7k! (7 or 11... I can't remember exactly now, but it's alot).

TheTripWasInfraGreen

« Reply #370 on: February 08, 2013, 04:08:11 PM »
Wow. I had Supernatural ever since it came out, and only now did I realize that the Conversion Ritual is really, really useful. My witch founder would do it even when he was on the verge of motive failure, and he ended up turning a conjured apple/seed/gem/dust/some piece of cheap crud in his inventory into Tiberium.

Combined with a housemate who built up LTHP really quickly (10,000 points a day at times) and switched his LTW to Swimming in Cash, I ended up with ~140,000 in funds and a Motive Mobile. It really took me that long to think of this.

I also ended up buying from the Elixir Shop and re-consigning everything I didn't need, which was a rather cool way to make money.

Offline RainBeau

• Global Moderator
  • Watcher
  • Formerly known as ombradellarosa <3
« Reply #371 on: February 08, 2013, 06:24:00 PM »
A combination of what I call "flipping" the elixir consignment shop (as Trip described above), Midas Touch elixirs, and the Conversion Ritual is where I get all my money now. Before Supernatural my Sims were skint! Not anymore!

By samoht04

Offline Ricalynn

• Watcher
« Reply #372 on: February 08, 2013, 06:47:15 PM »
Yeah I'm a big fan of Midas Touches for anyone who has Supernatural.  I even offer delivery service to anyone who desperately wants one. 

Offline Wiry

• Watcher
  • Resident Genie Expert, Evil Simlord.
« Reply #373 on: February 08, 2013, 06:53:20 PM »
I find it very fun abusing Genie lamps for cash.

200,000 a pop, 300,000 if you aren't willing to let wishes come back.
William's Wealth and Power Legacy

Fausta Legacy
*Twitch* GENIES!  *Twitch*
"For if Knowledge is Power, then a god am I!"- The Riddler

Online Deklitch

• Nemesis of Reality
  • Watcher
« Reply #374 on: February 08, 2013, 08:28:21 PM »
I like abusing Genie lamps for cash as well. I get the 300,000 a pop option as I would rather the simeloens :) (and it is only ever 30, 000 lthps away)