Author Topic: The Legacy Help, Tips, and Strategies Thread  (Read 141237 times)

Offline Pam

• Community Manager
  • Forum Founder and Friend
  • Watcher
Re: The Legacy Help, Tips, and Strategies Thread
« Reply #15 on: June 24, 2010, 07:02:14 PM »
Well, if you don't teach the toddlers their skills, doesn't the game give you a "bad" trait automatically? Kind of like if your pregnant sim is in a super bad mood the whole time and never reads a pregnancy book or visits the doctor, the baby could get a trait like technophobe or something.

Not in my experience.  They just get a random trait that could be anything.

Last night I tried out parenting for the first time, with one of my other, established couples. While I had experience with adopting a sim child, the sim baby and toddler years are new for me. My first impressions of toddlerhood is that the kid is almost unplayably creepy to me!! He has the proportions of a 6-year-old, but in miniature, so he looks like a six year old who can't do anything but roll around and cry. Did this stage strike any of you in the same way? Maybe it's worse because I'm playing long lifespan.

Hehe.  No, I think toddlers are just adorable!  Their interactions with others are really cute.  :D
Read and heed the Forum Rules, please!

Support the site when you purchase online!
Dreamweaver Immortal Dynasty
Dreamweaver 4 x 4 Dynasty
Pam's Sims 4 World Blog

"Half of my posts are correcting people. The other 49% is moving threads."

Offline LlamaMama

• Watcher
« Reply #16 on: June 24, 2010, 07:51:17 PM »
The real life parent in me prompted me to put up fences around the pools as soon as my sim got pregnant. Is it even possible for sim children to drown or get hit by a car? How closely do I need to keep an eye on them around the house? Oy, my stay-at-home trait is showing...

I'm assuming anyone can die from meteors.
I put tape on the mirrors in my house so I don't accidentally walk through into another dimension. -- Steven Wright

Frisbeetarianism is the belief that when you die,
your soul goes up on the roof and gets stuck. -- George Carlin

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline jmz95

• Immortal
« Reply #17 on: June 24, 2010, 09:20:31 PM »
The real life parent in me prompted me to put up fences around the pools as soon as my sim got pregnant. Is it even possible for sim children to drown or get hit by a car? How closely do I need to keep an eye on them around the house? Oy, my stay-at-home trait is showing...

I'm assuming anyone can die from meteors.
Haha it's okay, since this is your first sim-parent experience, don't worry about it. I'm pretty sure that neither babies nor toddlers can die of anything, but I'm not 100% sure about the meteors.
"Yes, I try to pick up strange babies, but only in the game.  Don't judge me." - Pam
Too late, Pam. Too late.

Offline cndneh

• Watcher
« Reply #18 on: June 24, 2010, 10:12:05 PM »
Haha it's okay, since this is your first sim-parent experience, don't worry about it. I'm pretty sure that neither babies nor toddlers can die of anything, but I'm not 100% sure about the meteors.

Well anyone can die if not looked after, but in a home you are actively playing you would have to go out of your way to kill a baby/toddler sim.  They wont fall in pools or hit by cars.  So you're safe there.

Have yet to see a meteor.

And thanks for the info Pam, I'll check out Pinstars rules, maybe start a Legacy family of my own!  :D

Offline LlamaMama

• Watcher
« Reply #19 on: June 24, 2010, 10:53:04 PM »
I wish I could put a deathflower in my real life kids' inventories!
I put tape on the mirrors in my house so I don't accidentally walk through into another dimension. -- Steven Wright

Offline Pam

• Community Manager
  • Watcher
« Reply #20 on: June 24, 2010, 11:05:13 PM »
I'm pretty sure that neither babies nor toddlers can die of anything, but I'm not 100% sure about the meteors.

There's something odd with this, though.  I've seen infants outside my active household die of drowning.  The baby shows up on the family tree as a ghost.  But I've never had one die that was under my control.  I'm not sure what the deal is with all the dying babies in the newspaper.  Some players have several baby ghosts in the family tree.  And check this thread out.  Esther1981 got a shot of ghost babies haunting!  It's creepy.

Pam's Sims 4 World Blog

Offline LlamaMama

• Watcher
« Reply #21 on: June 25, 2010, 01:23:15 PM »
That's just bizarre!

Now I need to start making walls and rooms on my empty lot, with a baby coming. Is there a way to put a pre-made house from the library onto my founder's lot, or do I need to build one?

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline Kaitlin9613

• Llama Wrangler
« Reply #22 on: June 25, 2010, 02:37:38 PM »
I'm not sure if this is in the rules, as I haven't read them recently, but what I do, with WA installed, is send my founder to China with their money, take all the books and the stereo from Base Camp, and then do some adventures for money. When I get home, I sell the stuff, and get around 30,000 for them.

I only do this if I can't be bothered though - half of the fun of a Legacy is coping with the lack of money at the beginning, and the sense of achievement when they gain their fortunes.

Offline jmz95

• Immortal
« Reply #23 on: June 25, 2010, 04:23:48 PM »
Well anyone can die if not looked after, but in a home you are actively playing you would have to go out of your way to kill a baby/toddler sim.  They wont fall in pools or hit by cars.  So you're safe there.

Have yet to see a meteor.

And thanks for the info Pam, I'll check out Pinstars rules, maybe start a Legacy family of my own!  :D

But if you don't feed a baby, the social worker will just come and take them away. Also, how would you get a a baby to drown, and cribs can't catch fire and I think that a teen or older sim will autonomously bring a baby away from a fire.
"Yes, I try to pick up strange babies, but only in the game.  Don't judge me." - Pam
Too late, Pam. Too late.

Offline samoht04

• Building Contest Coordinator
  • Global Moderator
  • Watcher
« Reply #24 on: June 26, 2010, 05:02:24 AM »
The game will kill off any Sim if the town has a high population as that can cause lag. So if a lot of sims get pregnant then there are not many older they will kill off the young. I think children can drown, can they burn? I don't think babies or toddlers can if you control them.
Please read the Forum Rules![/center]

Offline Pam

• Community Manager
  • Watcher
« Reply #25 on: June 26, 2010, 08:03:37 PM »
I wonder if there would be fewer Sims moving out of town if we built houses on all those lots on Pinocle Point.  If there's more housing, maybe it would support a larger population.  Anyone have experience with that?

Pam's Sims 4 World Blog

Offline malteser60

• Occult
« Reply #26 on: June 27, 2010, 07:30:09 AM »
Well, if you don't teach the toddlers their skills, doesn't the game give you a "bad" trait automatically? Kind of like if your pregnant sim is in a super bad mood the whole time and never reads a pregnancy book or visits the doctor, the baby could get a trait like technophobe or something.

I know Pam said they're randomly rolled and that's what I thought. But whenever that happened with me I always got a negative trait. Coincedence maybe?

That's just bizarre!

Now I need to start making walls and rooms on my empty lot, with a baby coming. Is there a way to put a pre-made house from the library onto my founder's lot, or do I need to build one?

According to Pinstars legacy rules you have to build all your homes - no premade ones.

With my legacy's, although I play for points, I also like to enjoy all the fun and drama the sims do. Sometimes it does mean I don't get as many points, but I do enjoy it

Offline Saltypaws

• Global Moderator
  • Watcher
« Reply #27 on: June 27, 2010, 10:14:10 AM »
I wonder if there would be fewer Sims moving out of town if we built houses on all those lots on Pinocle Point.  If there's more housing, maybe it would support a larger population.  Anyone have experience with that?

I filled Pinocle point with homes and found the sims just moved from town into those houses and I had a couple of new families that had moved in.  Those little guys just love moving, lol.  So I am not sure if that helps or not, but it was fun seeing who moved in those houses.  A couple of them have stayed empty the whole time though.
Is it true that cannibals don't eat clowns because they taste funny?

Offline LlamaMama

• Watcher
« Reply #28 on: June 27, 2010, 06:00:11 PM »

According to Pinstars legacy rules you have to build all your homes - no premade ones.

This legacy is turning out to be loosely based on Pinstar's rules. I went ahead and started building an ugly house, but I'm still wondering what the game mechanics are to move a premade house onto an occupied lot, keeping the tenants intact.

Offline Joria

• Top Secret
  • Watcher
« Reply #29 on: July 03, 2010, 03:38:04 PM »
I've worked on 8 legacy families so far, partially due to computer malfunction, partially due to game malfunction and partially because I got bored.  This is all very new to me since the only thing I used Sims 2 for was building and remodeling.  So starting off with a legacy from the get go was was a major learning experience.  I decided right off to follow Pinstar's rules to the letter, which made it even more of a challenge.  I opted for Matriarchy, no WA, and family trait, (virtuoso).  I was lucky with the randomizing all 8 times and never got a roll I would be uncomfortable with.  (I just can't see myself doing an evil.)  Absolutely no mods, no cheats and only allowed cc is from the store.

The easiest part for me, once I figured out how to use the terrain function to build "walls", was making a place to live until I had sufficient funds and a possible spouse for house building.  Sometimes I had a job, sometimes I didn't.  I always gardened, fished and gathered.  The easiest one was when I rolled klepto!  There wasn't a car left in town by the time I was through and before gen 1 was pregnant we already were living in a mansion.  At first I had one baby at a time which drove me bonkers until I figured it out.  Simple.  Check on their needs BEFORE they go ballistic, diaper, feed, cuddle, play, diaper,snuggle, crib.  When they got to be toddlers I immediately did their growing needs then set them down on the floor daily with a bunch of books.  No more worries and they all grew up talented and geniuses.  Then I tried twins.  Same thing just in tandem.

By the time my founding parents were ready to move on, (and you MUST play regular life span if you follow Pinstar's rules), I had a pool of possible heirs and could start marrying up and moving out the others.  Once the chosen heir was married and preggers, (and I usually made one of the parents stay at homes), I moved out most of the others leaving just enough folks around to maintain the huge garden and keep cash flowing in.  Then it was just rinse and repeat, and THAT is where I got bored.  My current legacy family has rolled klepto every other batch of babies, (different generations), so I doubt they will run out of things to steal or cash from selling stolen goods any time soon.  They are all on hold while I do the Crazy 8 challenge.

I'm with Pam on the toddlers.  They maybe age into troglodyte ugly but that can be easily changed by changing their appearance in the mirror.  Mostly it's the eyebrows that cause the ugly look.  I get them a cute wardrobe which can be customized with the tool in game and just rotate their clothes every 3 days.  Then spend hours on end watching and listening to them play and read.  When they aren't screaming and demanding they are just to precious for words.  (So speaks a mom of 6!)
What?  Grannies can't play games?
I speak perfect Nooblik, (and some Simlish)!

----------
With A Twist, an Immortal Dynasty
My No Buy Story
Joria's Creations on the Gallery

anything