Author Topic: The Legacy Help, Tips, and Strategies Thread  (Read 141257 times)

Offline LlamaMama

• Watcher
Re: The Legacy Help, Tips, and Strategies Thread
« Reply #30 on: July 03, 2010, 04:32:38 PM »
Thanks for the great post, with tons of info!

I haven't had a sim get rich off of klepto, so I must be playing it wrong. If I don't put her in a driveway myself, she would never go steal a car. I only got to steal about 4 cars, then I couldn't find any more; sims don't seem to replace them. Only rarely did she swipe on her own without my realizing it, and usually it was junk. I tried getting into houses, but could never find anything valuable to steal, even in the mansions.

What's your secret to wealth with a klepto?
I put tape on the mirrors in my house so I don't accidentally walk through into another dimension. -- Steven Wright

Frisbeetarianism is the belief that when you die,
your soul goes up on the roof and gets stuck. -- George Carlin

Offline AriaGirl77

• Watcher
« Reply #31 on: July 03, 2010, 09:07:49 PM »
I wonder if there would be fewer Sims moving out of town if we built houses on all those lots on Pinocle Point.  If there's more housing, maybe it would support a larger population.  Anyone have experience with that?

I used to do this with all my Legacy neighborhoods, but stopped because it didn't seem to help keep anyone in town.  Families will still move out even if there are plenty of places to live, it's all a matter of population.

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline LlamaMama

• Watcher
« Reply #32 on: July 03, 2010, 09:45:20 PM »
What happens to a baby or child if its parents die, specifically in a legacy household? Does he/she go to a relative? Does that relative need to be living in the legacy house at the time the death(s) occur?
I put tape on the mirrors in my house so I don't accidentally walk through into another dimension. -- Steven Wright

Offline AriaGirl77

• Watcher
« Reply #33 on: July 03, 2010, 11:48:31 PM »
If a child is left alone in any household the social worker will come and take him/her away.  That's why it's usually a good idea to leave a spare adult (usually an heir's sibling) in the household just in case.

Offline LlamaMama

• Watcher
« Reply #34 on: July 04, 2010, 12:21:15 AM »
I wondered about grandparents, aunts and uncles, etc. If they're living there do they get custody?

Offline Pam

• Community Manager
  • Forum Founder and Friend
  • Watcher
« Reply #35 on: July 04, 2010, 01:48:38 AM »
I wondered about grandparents, aunts and uncles, etc. If they're living there do they get custody?

Yes, as long as there's someone aged teen or older living in the house, the baby will stay with them.  And for the legacy bloodline, the heir has been born, so it doesn't matter if the parents die. 
Read and heed the Forum Rules, please!

Support the site when you purchase online!
Dreamweaver Immortal Dynasty
Dreamweaver 4 x 4 Dynasty
Pam's Sims 4 World Blog

"Half of my posts are correcting people. The other 49% is moving threads."

Archer0

« Reply #36 on: July 04, 2010, 02:37:46 PM »
This legacy is turning out to be loosely based on Pinstar's rules. I went ahead and started building an ugly house, but I'm still wondering what the game mechanics are to move a premade house onto an occupied lot, keeping the tenants intact.

I just tried this.  I was curious if you needed the money available.  If not, this method would be considered an unfair advantage and a cheat.  But as it turns out, you do need to have the money available to afford the new premade house, just like when you start a new game.  Houses don't have prices listed in the edit screen, so you'll have to know which your family can afford or you'll be repeating multiple times.

Method is similar in parts to moving the family to another neighborhood as described here.

1.  Enter edit town mode(recommend saving the game).
2.  Click the bulldoze button and select your lot.  This will prompt you to evict the household.  Choose the move out button.  This sells the existing house and everything on the lot, except for what you stored in the family inventory and puts the family onto the clipboard in the upper left.  This is temporary only!  If you leave the edit screen or your computer crashes, the clipboard is lost.  Good thing you saved the game before starting!  Right?  Right?
3.  Click on the show empty houses tab at the bottom and choose a premade house.  Click the place button and select your lot.
4.  Click your family on the clipboard, choose place, click the lot with premade you created and click purchase.
5.  Click return to game setup at the top, then click on choose a household at the bottom.  Click your lot and then the select button.  Then you're ready to play!

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline LlamaMama

• Watcher
« Reply #37 on: July 04, 2010, 03:27:32 PM »
Thank you for the help! Too bad the garden would be razed, although it would help somewhat to keep some of your highest quality produce in inventory to replant on the new lot -- no help for money trees, though.

ETA: I'm starting to see why legacy games are played on normal lifespan rather than long. My first gen is long and unfortunately so are the infant and toddler stages! As cute as they are, it's really hard to juggle both. The parents keep putting them in the wrong cribs, making it harder! My "legacy family" is becoming less by the rules and more of a trial run, as I'm tempted to switch to normal lifespan.

Offline Pam

• Community Manager
  • Watcher
« Reply #38 on: July 04, 2010, 06:51:19 PM »
The parents keep putting them in the wrong cribs, making it harder!

That will never change.  The parents don't recognize that there's a particular crib for a particular child.  They always put them in whatever crib they feel like.  I've seen then pick up a baby, give a snuggle, then walk across the room to put the baby in a different crib.  It used to really annoy me and I would try to get the parents to put them in the "right" crib, but I quickly gave up on that.  Just let them do it and don't worry about it.  :)

Pam's Sims 4 World Blog

Offline LlamaMama

• Watcher
« Reply #39 on: July 04, 2010, 07:49:43 PM »
Except that the toddler is a musician and keeps "rude awakening" the baby when it's put to bed in her room instead of the parents'.

And I've just discovered the blessing to new parents, aka France! "Don't worry, we'll take care of the babies" is the message they get as they wave goodbye to the house, lol.

Offline Pam

• Community Manager
  • Watcher
« Reply #40 on: July 04, 2010, 08:43:36 PM »
Even though the baby gets the Rude Awakening moodlet, it doesn't actually wake up, in my experience.  Another way around that is to move the xlyophone to the living room or somewhere other than the nursery.  So, you're putting a crib in the parents' room for the infant?  Also, you can force the parents to put the baby into a specific crib by clicking on the crib itself instead of clicking on the baby.  That might help a little.

Pam's Sims 4 World Blog

Offline LlamaMama

• Watcher
« Reply #41 on: July 04, 2010, 11:09:17 PM »
That all helps, thanks!

Offline samoht04

• Building Contest Coordinator
  • Global Moderator
  • Watcher
« Reply #42 on: July 05, 2010, 01:57:07 AM »
I normally have a play room and then several small nursery rooms for the youngsters.  ;)
Please read the Forum Rules![/center]

Offline LlamaMama

• Watcher
« Reply #43 on: July 05, 2010, 11:54:00 PM »
I want to share how my first legacy home is shaping up, inspired by many of the valuable suggestions in this thread. I decided to treat the ground floor as home to parents with infant to toddler kids. Once the kids are in school and more independent, I'll move the parents and kids upstairs where they can have their own bedrooms and the parents don't have to be as close by, vacating the rooms below for the incoming generation.

I gave up on the idea of having the nursery double as a playroom once the second child was born, and I like the suggestion of a separate playroom. So I rearranged walls and halls to minimize bedrooms, keep the parents within easy reach, with a private bathroom for them, and another one off the nursery. I wanted the floorplan to remain as open as possible, so I used arches rather than doors so the kids would remain in view but the clutter out of sight. The front, right room is the playroom, balanced by a new study area. I guess the next generation's spare family will have to live upstairs with another playroom.

These were taken at night, so the brightened quality is poor and the little white square lights are pretty distracting. Overall, I'm really pleased how it's working out, learning as I go. I never imagined it would actually be fun to build.

Offline jmz95

• Immortal
« Reply #44 on: July 06, 2010, 11:32:02 AM »
Whoa, nice house. How much is it worth, furnished, and how far into the game did you build it?

I love rebuilding my legacy house or even adding on to it. I had to add another bedroom and bathroom to my legacy house yesterday and when the new rooms go in, I just love the feel of it. When my sims get new stuff, I too get a +20 moodlet too!  ;D
"Yes, I try to pick up strange babies, but only in the game.  Don't judge me." - Pam
Too late, Pam. Too late.

anything