Author Topic: The Legacy Help, Tips, and Strategies Thread  (Read 141266 times)

Offline LlamaMama

• Watcher
Re: The Legacy Help, Tips, and Strategies Thread
« Reply #135 on: August 04, 2010, 02:52:17 PM »
For the still life portrait, get the camera up close and angled toward the easel before you make the selection to paint.  Then when your Sim comes to the easel, he'll be in camera range and you can just use "C" to capture it.

I'm having trouble with the viewfinder. It starts out above the roof so I can't use it indoors.

Jestina, I know how you feel. Finding a mate for the heir and spare is such a chore, and sooo time consuming. In high school, I have them spend their days "Making New Friends" instead of working hard, hah! I've found some apparently young adults for my newly young adult to consider, but for all I know they're adult going on elder, and not a good breeding choice. I wish we had a way to know the age of potential mates!
I put tape on the mirrors in my house so I don't accidentally walk through into another dimension. -- Steven Wright

Frisbeetarianism is the belief that when you die,
your soul goes up on the roof and gets stuck. -- George Carlin

Offline applejackkxo

• Llama Wrangler
  • "Blame it all upon a rush of blood to the head."
« Reply #136 on: August 04, 2010, 04:33:15 PM »
I wish we had a way to know the age of potential mates!

Agreed. My heir married a guy and he turned elder the next day. I think the "making new friends" in high school is a good way to do it because they age up at roughly the same time as your sim making good options. The other thing is though that you don't know their LTW either and if you're doing points then if they have the same one it won't count.

What am I supposed to do with all these people in my sims house, i've never gotten that far into legacy?  :D

What I'm trying to do is just work on completing their LTW as quickly as possible and get them out of the house so I get their points and get rid of them lol. For my first spare this was fairly easy because he ended up with the LTW to master painting and writing, and I had his painting skill almost maxed before he was a young adult, but I'm sure it will get more difficult when you have sims with LTW to max a career or something like that that you can't start working on before young adulthood.
“Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.” -Albert Einstein

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline jestina

• Occult
« Reply #137 on: August 04, 2010, 05:21:02 PM »
My founder married Miraj Alvi and he had Da Vinci LTW. Yeah, like he's going to accomplish that with a family and everything else.  :D

Ambitions careers are bleh in legacy. On the plus side, I guess the family has fire insurance now.

Offline LlamaMama

• Watcher
« Reply #138 on: August 04, 2010, 05:59:04 PM »
I hit another sticky point. My first son just became young adult, and got his random trait. It then brought up 5 LTWs to choose from, none of them what I'd have chosen for him. There was no way to exit from that LTW Choice window, either. I might have wanted for him to be self-employed or be a writer. Am I missing some way to do that?
I put tape on the mirrors in my house so I don't accidentally walk through into another dimension. -- Steven Wright

Offline Pielord

• Townie
« Reply #139 on: August 04, 2010, 07:01:38 PM »
When people do legacy stories or blogs, etc, do they post daily? I'm not sick of it or anything, just don't always have enough time or inspiration and I'm getting Ambitions in exactly one day -so I'm going to be testing that out (so excited!). Also, is it possible to just fill in the points earned throughout a legacy near the end of the latter generations without having to record every point you get as you go along? I mean, you'd probably have to remember about 20 lifetime wishes and check the family portraits and funds, but it still seems fairly easy to work out. What do most people do?
I am Nobody. And Nobody is Perfect. Therefore, I am Perfect. :)

Offline samoht04

• Building Contest Coordinator
  • Global Moderator
  • Watcher
« Reply #140 on: August 04, 2010, 07:09:54 PM »
I do mine when I feel like it or have played through several days, sometimes I get about two chapters a week, depends how often you play.  :)
Please read the Forum Rules![/center]

Offline Pielord

• Townie
« Reply #141 on: August 04, 2010, 07:22:41 PM »
Ya sounds much better than treating it as a sort of responsibility, which would ruin the fun of it. Been reading the Character Legacy as a sort of reference to the format, etc of posts. Absolutely fantastic! Lol the Flintstones...

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline jestina

• Occult
« Reply #142 on: August 04, 2010, 07:32:30 PM »
I hit another sticky point. My first son just became young adult, and got his random trait. It then brought up 5 LTWs to choose from, none of them what I'd have chosen for him. There was no way to exit from that LTW Choice window, either. I might have wanted for him to be self-employed or be a writer. Am I missing some way to do that?

Just pick one and then save up for the change lifetime wish reward I guess.

Offline applejackkxo

• Llama Wrangler
« Reply #143 on: August 04, 2010, 07:34:02 PM »

Unfortunately its kinda like when you're creating a new sims and you get 5 LTW to choose from. It goes according to traits, so the 5 to choose from aren't going to be any different if you could close the window, it's based on traits. I'm pretty sure though you have to choose the LTW at the time of aging to young adult.
“Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.” -Albert Einstein

Offline LlamaMama

• Watcher
« Reply #144 on: August 04, 2010, 07:42:35 PM »
But that's not true. In CAS you can "re-roll" the LTWs based upon your traits, without changing the traits. Often different LTWs come up.

Offline applejackkxo

• Llama Wrangler
« Reply #145 on: August 04, 2010, 08:15:35 PM »
But that's not true. In CAS you can "re-roll" the LTWs based upon your traits, without changing the traits. Often different LTWs come up.

Oh, hehe, I didn't know that. :P oops

Offline Pielord

• Townie
« Reply #146 on: August 04, 2010, 08:49:41 PM »
Actually that's only partly true. You see, lifetime wishes are indeed based on the chosen traits for a Sim, but they are chosen in conjunction with which traits are connected to them. For example, the lifetime wish to have a certain values worth of stolen items requires the kleptomaniac trait (obviously), or else it would not be plausible and hence it will not show up in the reshuffle when you Create A Sim or use the Change Lifetime Wish reward. Some traits allow for several lifetime wishes and others only a few, using these variables the game gives a set number of wishes available to a sim. Those are the ones which your Sim can choose from.
At least, that's what I've gathered from Carl's Guide. I stand for correction if I messed up somewhere LOL.

Offline LlamaMama

• Watcher
« Reply #147 on: August 04, 2010, 09:34:28 PM »
My point is that there are more than 5 LTWs for a given set of traits. Try this: go into CAS and view the new character's personality. Note the LTWs offered. Now exit the personality screen without choosing one. Open up the same personality screen and you will likely see 1-3 different LTWs offered compared to the first time.

Because it's advantageous not to repeat a given LTW within a legacy, or at least optimize a sim's choices, I thought there was a way to have more control over the LTW (at least to permit a parent to work at home). I'm stuck with a none-too-bright World Renowned Surgeon with Hates the Outdoors, Never-Nude, Friendly, Good Sense of Humor, and Family Oriented. Not Bookworm, Genius, Workaholic or other traits recommended for success in this LTW.

There are often other LTWs suggested before becoming Young Adult, but without knowing the final trait, it's hard to know if one of those early ones should be chosen. I figured the Legacy gurus know something I don't, which is why I posted my confusion here. Maybe in the future I'll just leave the Family Trait until last, so I will know the first four traits when early LTWs pop up as wishes.

Offline jestina

• Occult
« Reply #148 on: August 04, 2010, 10:02:44 PM »
Well on the good side, at least the sim will be working indoors.  :D I'd suggest um...maybe training that sims charisma and then get the LTW change that cost 10,000. Then hopefully switch into business or politics.

But that's why you have lots of kids, so you can choose the one with the best traits to be heir and then boot everyone else out.

The heir in my current legacy is a virtuoso who wants to be a rockstar, but she hates art...which I thought was a little amusing.

Offline LlamaMama

• Watcher
« Reply #149 on: August 04, 2010, 10:49:25 PM »
I think that there are a number of ways in which the legacy rules don't translate well to WA + Ambitions playstyle, and I may not be suited to strict legacy play under those circumstances. I think I'll keep the family legacy, but try to come up with a more adaptive rule-set for myself that better incorporates self-employment now that it's an option. Thanks for the help, and putting up with my angst.