Author Topic: Building Contests: Feedback, Suggestions and Ideas  (Read 22572 times)

Offline Decima

• Townie
Re: Building Contests: Feedback, Suggestions and Ideas
« Reply #60 on: July 23, 2013, 05:48:20 AM »
Yeah I prefer the wacky more creative ones too. And as Ladybug says, I'd LOVE to do a renovation like the Goth Manor one last year. That was my first ever entry into a contest!  :D

Offline bubbles

• Dynasty Novice
  • Watcher
« Reply #61 on: July 29, 2013, 02:28:52 PM »
We building lots that are not contest entries or requests, I tend to build more traditional homes. However, I like the idea of the wackier ones, even though I have yet to try one.

I enjoyed the Single Moms Craftsman house and would like to see more like that in the future. As a suggestion, you could have a contest, like the Victorian one, where you have to design a house for a particular time period or location. For example, you could have a Tudor-style contest or an Amazon Treehouse contest (Using lots of columns and the deleting them).
Bubbles's Workshop
Friends are like potatoes; if you eat them, they die. My friends friend.

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline Swirl-Girl

• Squirt
  • Watcher
  • Sends more than 20 PMs Per Hour
« Reply #62 on: August 05, 2013, 07:03:08 AM »
I think we should do some contests that require you to use only base game, or choose one ep to use. I always try to limit my ep's, but then it doesn't turn out all that it's cracked up to be in my head, but if I add the objects or etc. from another ep, I feel bad for excluding people with one object.

Squirt's Super Submissions
I love Constructive Criticism!
"Krabs are so cheap, they can't even pay attention!"

Offline Snufflesxx

• Sherlockian
  • Watcher
  • Every puzzle has an answer
« Reply #63 on: August 07, 2013, 05:29:12 AM »
Some more smaller builds would be great. It's not that I can't handle a larger build, it's my computer that has the issues. It crushed my vision for the castle competition  :(
So, some more starter home contests would be great.
** My Stories **

"I'm not a psychopath, I'm a high-functioning sociopath. Do your research." - Sherlock

Offline Wiry

• Watcher
  • Resident Genie Expert, Evil Simlord.
« Reply #64 on: August 08, 2013, 02:08:40 PM »
How about a contest where the goal is to reproduce a landmark or famous building? Buildings like The Himeji Castle, the Winter Palace, or even the White House!  ;D
William's Wealth and Power Legacy

Fausta Legacy
*Twitch* GENIES!  *Twitch*
"For if Knowledge is Power, then a god am I!"- The Riddler

Offline Snufflesxx

• Sherlockian
  • Watcher
« Reply #65 on: August 08, 2013, 02:23:20 PM »
How about a contest where the goal is to reproduce a landmark or famous building? Buildings like The Himeji Castle, the Winter Palace, or even the White House!  ;D

Haha, I can see myself pulling my hair out over that  ;D
Maybe it would be fun if fictional buildings were included, like Hogwarts or the Disney Castle (!!)

Another thing I was going to add is that it would great to see another team building challenge, like the one where you had to add a secret basement to Christopher Steel's house.
** My Stories **

"I'm not a psychopath, I'm a high-functioning sociopath. Do your research." - Sherlock

Offline Wiry

• Watcher
  • Resident Genie Expert, Evil Simlord.
« Reply #66 on: August 08, 2013, 02:26:19 PM »
Haha, I can see myself pulling my hair out over that  ;D
Maybe it would be fun if fictional buildings were included, like Hogwarts or the Disney Castle (!!)

Another thing I was going to add is that it would great to see another team building challenge, like the one where you had to add a secret basement to Christopher Steel's house.
Well to make it actually able to be judged, only one building would be chosen to reproduce, mien were just suggestions  ;D
William's Wealth and Power Legacy

Fausta Legacy
*Twitch* GENIES!  *Twitch*
"For if Knowledge is Power, then a god am I!"- The Riddler

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline Snufflesxx

• Sherlockian
  • Watcher
« Reply #67 on: August 09, 2013, 05:31:00 AM »
Well to make it actually able to be judged, only one building would be chosen to reproduce, mien were just suggestions  ;D

Of course... So we're mine *whistles*
** My Stories **

Offline Jaaaaks

• Llama Wrangler
« Reply #68 on: August 10, 2013, 01:51:36 AM »
I really love challenges that invoke our creativity. There are some really neat ideas people put out.

Another really awesome idea would be something like a colour scheme challenge?

For example, you provide 3 different colour schemes, we get to pick one of them and build a house based off those colours and can ONLY use those colours.

So for example...

theme 1: pink, black, gold.
theme 2: blue, brown, white.

Something like that.

Would make a house very interesting. That would include interior decor (so if there is no green in the colour scheme, no green foliage).

Building off that idea, what if we had a classic building contest with a twist; we can't use the design tool? It could be a 'throwback' to old games, where you could only use the presets. That would also provide a unique challenge if combined with the colour scheme idea.

Offline Caterina

• Occult
« Reply #69 on: August 10, 2013, 11:23:14 AM »
Idea:  Create a department store. 

There could be a requirement to have 5 or so different departments.  There could be a department for appliances, electronics, flooring, plumbing, etc.  The choice of departments could be left up to the builder or assigned.  It would be fun to see a department for each type of item represented in the contest.  It would be like a catalog.  I am not that familiar with alot of the patterns, flooring, wall coverings, etc.  So to be able to see them all in one place, or several, would be great.  Potentially, each of the categories/sub-categories on the Build/Buy menu could be a different department.  You could even have the choice of departments be on a first-come-first-serve basis.  Also, you could see how many people want to participate and divide the categories by people to see how many departments each person gets.  That way each category would be represented.

What do you all think?

Offline Swirl-Girl

• Squirt
  • Watcher
  • Sends more than 20 PMs Per Hour
« Reply #70 on: August 12, 2013, 08:25:08 AM »
I really like that idea, Jaaks. If you look at my sims, you'll see that I do the color scheming a lot already.

Squirt's Super Submissions
I love Constructive Criticism!
"Krabs are so cheap, they can't even pay attention!"

Offline Gogowars329

• Watcher
« Reply #71 on: September 04, 2013, 03:52:08 AM »
Like how we had two sets of contests last year, I think it would be cool if we had one normal set of contests and another set of contests that go for about a month each but with team building. So each contest you'd be put into a team of two or three and had to build whatever the contest required.
Gogowars Inc - The place to find all of my wonderful Sims 3 creations

Offline rockstarbabe569

• Nooboo
« Reply #72 on: September 06, 2013, 09:03:51 AM »
I don't know if this has been already, but how about a fixer-upper challenge? Someone can upload a really crappy jacked up house and we have to renovate it and make it look nice. With only $20,000. And you can only use the stuff that came with the game and EPs and SPs including the patterns.  And to make it more fun, maybe we could have a color theme or other design them to tie everything together.

Offline Neashaleigh

• Immortal
  • Divergent
    • The Sims - Houses
« Reply #73 on: September 06, 2013, 02:07:13 PM »
I don't know if this has been already, but how about a fixer-upper challenge? Someone can upload a really crappy jacked up house and we have to renovate it and make it look nice. With only $20,000. And you can only use the stuff that came with the game and EPs and SPs including the patterns.  And to make it more fun, maybe we could have a color theme or other design them to tie everything together.

I've done this type of challenge on my FB page. It's a lot of fun :D
*´¨)
 ¸.•´¸.•*´¨) ¸.•*¨)
(¸.•´ (¸.• Neasha Leigh

The Sims 3 - Houses
My Sims 3 Studio
My Sims 4 Studio

Offline Lilygirl

• Global Moderator
  • Watcher
  • Let's spread kindness, grace, and joy.
« Reply #74 on: September 07, 2013, 04:31:52 PM »
Thanks for all the feedback and suggestions/ideas, everyone!

Even though we (the building contest team) haven't posted here very often of late, we are reading and making notes. We've got some great contests lined up for the next while and we often go back and make changes to the tasks/specs if we read a really good idea here that we can incorporate into a building contest we've already written up.
You've played too much TS3 when ... your 13 month old's babble sounds like Simlish!

Please read the Forum Rules

☀ Sunburst Immortal Dynasty ☀
The McIrish Bunch RTJ
My Swap Shop Creations

anything