Author Topic: Building Contests: Feedback, Suggestions and Ideas  (Read 22573 times)

Offline samoht04

• Building Contest Coordinator
  • Global Moderator
  • Watcher
Building Contests: Feedback, Suggestions and Ideas
« on: February 01, 2013, 05:11:51 PM »

Building Contest: Feedback, Suggestions and Ideas

This Thread is for any feedback, suggestions and ideas. Please keep the feedback constructive and the suggestions sensible and practical. We would like to hear any feedback on how to improve the contests! So any ideas, suggestions or feedback on how things are going or you think could be improved are welcome!

The original threads has been moved to the graveyard, this is to allow for fresh ideas.
Please read the Forum Rules![/center]

Offline Snufflesxx

• Sherlockian
  • Watcher
  • Every puzzle has an answer
Re: Building Contests: Feedback, Suggestions and Ideas
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2013, 08:55:33 AM »
I came up with what I think is quite a good idea. You know that short clip that is shown just before the game launches? It has a few houses on it - the task could be to recreate one of those houses based on the quick view that you get in that little video.

I also had a few other rough ideas: a rainbow house, a community lot for PlantSims (which will come with University but won't be required to take part), a awards venue (think BAFTAs, Oscars, etc) & house dedicated to your country (flag colours, styles that you might find in your country or area, etc)
** My Stories **

"I'm not a psychopath, I'm a high-functioning sociopath. Do your research." - Sherlock

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline Caterina

• Occult
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2013, 05:25:21 PM »
Feedback - I love the Minimalist Starter contest.  The entries are all great and there are SO many!

Idea - Create a house using only the templates.  Items may be recolored only.  Nothing can be repositioned.  Optional:  Allow decorative items.

Offline lunaura

• Llama Wrangler
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2013, 11:33:24 PM »
Idea - There are many supernatural sims out there now, but not many homes that cater to each 'flavor' of sim. We now have Vampires, Werewolves, Witches, Fairies, Genies, Ghosts, Zombies and Mummies (And Plant sims, come Universities). However, we don't really have any place specifically for each type. My suggestion is to make a house that will make each playable sim (which means no zombies) feel completely at home. One way to do this could be a house for a specific type, or for each of them in one building ala Hotel Transylvania. How to do that is up to the happy builders.

Offline PrincessMimi

• Townie
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2013, 06:24:51 PM »
I really like contest where you have to build a low budget, small house. It makes it easier for us beginner builders!

Offline Jaaaaks

• Llama Wrangler
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2013, 10:34:03 PM »
I think there's a pretty nice group of us who enjoyed the latest challenge. To make it more interesting, what if we also threw in some other requirements? (ie: needs to have a second floor, the following items... etc.)

I also was hoping we could bring back the two part building contests; the last one with a creative exterior (the llama). We could do something similar or themed (ie: best exterior Victorian/Cottage/Modern) and decor.

Actually what I'd love to see was kind of the 'Let's Build' idea. Someone builds a big shell to be voted on, and then each room had a theme (style/colour?), have its individual contest. It could be one of those "long term" things.

Offline Vinyl

• I hear plumbobs are worth a fortune on the black market
  • Occult
« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2013, 12:15:48 PM »
I'd love to see the Example Entry topic stickied.  It's hiding on the second page now, bumped down by all of the awesome building contest entries.   :D

Going by what I wished I could find on the swap shop, here's a few ideas for contests:

-A new base camp.  Not necessarily the massive ones travelling sims default to in the WA worlds, but perhaps a small, intimate base camp to replace some of the simple camps (I believe the lot sizes aren't that large).  It can be frustrating spending the equivalent of a couple of cars to send a couple on a luxurious vacation that consists of eating salad and sleeping in tents.  I'd love to see some luxurious or themed alternatives to plonk down in the worlds.  Those without the expansions can build a hangout or residential lot to the same specifications for submission, or could build a base camp for a non-WA world - those I'd really love to see!  (I'd suggest a generous build allowance, since I'm really hoping for non-cheap beds and non-cold showers for a change.  :P)

-A skill venue/school/hangout/residence.  Inspired by University, I'd love to have a place to send sims where they could learn and focus on one skill in particular.  Like an art school, with easels and sculpting stations ready and waiting to go.  Anyone with any expansion could easily participate.

-A boarding house (or dorm).  Now that uncontrollable roommates are an option, I'd love to have a house designed around that common room/private room concept. 

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline samoht04

• Global Moderator
  • Watcher
« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2013, 06:27:05 AM »
There are some really great ideas in here, I'm sure you'll be seeing some of these in the future!  ;)

I'd love to see the Example Entry topic stickied.  It's hiding on the second page now, bumped down by all of the awesome building contest entries.   :D

Done. ;)

Offline Snufflesxx

• Sherlockian
  • Watcher
  • Every puzzle has an answer
« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2013, 12:36:59 PM »
Idea:

I'd love to see another contest requiring a small build - similar to the Minimalist Starter contest, but obviously not the same.

Feedback: I loved the Larger than Life contest! It would be great to see more contests like that, where it's a bit more creative  :)
** My Stories **

"I'm not a psychopath, I'm a high-functioning sociopath. Do your research." - Sherlock

Offline saltpastillen

• Watcher
« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2013, 01:39:08 PM »
I'd love to see a contest with a very generous budget (for those extreeeemely wealthy sims out there). It could have other limitations, such as making it very luxurious or in a specific style. I would just love to she what the builders can come up with when price wasn't as big an issue.

Chuckles_82

« Reply #10 on: April 19, 2013, 09:50:22 PM »
A contest where you may not make your own recolours. Everything must be what is already available in the colour swatches and wall/floors provided, and EA's recolours in their own buildings. Eg: you find a good pattern on a sofa in Bridgeport, you may save and use that for something.

Offline samoht04

• Global Moderator
  • Watcher
« Reply #11 on: April 20, 2013, 04:29:04 AM »
Idea:

I'd love to see another contest requiring a small build - similar to the Minimalist Starter contest, but obviously not the same.

Feedback: I loved the Larger than Life contest! It would be great to see more contests like that, where it's a bit more creative  :)

Small Builds are definitely on the list, we've noticed they are a lot more popular than the bigger ones. They may not always be minimalist or in the same form but small lot sizes are a priority. :)

I'd love to see a contest with a very generous budget (for those extreeeemely wealthy sims out there). It could have other limitations, such as making it very luxurious or in a specific style. I would just love to she what the builders can come up with when price wasn't as big an issue.

Another good idea, it would have to have limitations to stop you all building and building over the deadline though! ;)

A contest where you may not make your own recolours. Everything must be what is already available in the colour swatches and wall/floors provided, and EA's recolours in their own buildings. Eg: you find a good pattern on a sofa in Bridgeport, you may save and use that for something.

Sounds very Sims 2-ish, Lol. An interesting idea that would be cool to see, almost like building a Townie House.

Offline saltpastillen

• Watcher
« Reply #12 on: April 20, 2013, 04:37:51 AM »

What a cool idea! I would have to spend hours combing through each world looking for great patterns and recolors though. I know some people do, but I'm usually more focused on playing or building my own stuff, sounds like a fun way to expand your knowledge of the worlds.

Offline Neashaleigh

• Immortal
  • Divergent
    • The Sims - Houses
« Reply #13 on: April 20, 2013, 04:44:17 AM »
Some great ideas here!

One thing I thought of, which had been on my mind for a while until I finally tackled the problem yesterday... is a Family Mansion to house 8 Sims... on a 10x10 lot.

Yes.. it's possible. I've done it! Just can't seem to upload it :o And since I've done it, I'd be happy to sit that one out if necessary if we ever did it as a competition.
*´¨)
 ¸.•´¸.•*´¨) ¸.•*¨)
(¸.•´ (¸.• Neasha Leigh

The Sims 3 - Houses
My Sims 3 Studio
My Sims 4 Studio

Offline Odinsdottir

• Spline Reticulator
  • Occult
  • Artistic, Natural Cook, Cat Person, Insane, Flirty
« Reply #14 on: April 20, 2013, 06:35:35 PM »
I was thinking of trying to make an aesthetically pleasing house without using any items from the decorative categories, or otherwise limiting the types of items that can be used, so say, items with the lowest environmental ratings and no painting or plants or things like that. 
x, EAOdinsdottir.

A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects.

-Robert A. Heinlein

anything