Author Topic: The Official Building/Remodeling Showboat Thread  (Read 529223 times)

Offline smilesdude98

• Llama Wrangler
Re: The Official Building/Remodeling Showboat Thread
« Reply #3575 on: July 16, 2014, 06:08:02 PM »
@Randox

Thanks for the input! It's really funny that you found a house with that color scheme. I was working on it some more and came up with one really close to that. I added a shed with the science lab. I thought about adding a basement, but decided she needed faster access to the lab. Also, it gives guests a chance to come in and see her work on the various plants in the sims world!

I've finished the landscaping, cottage, and interior of the conservatory, but I still can't decide what the exterior of the conservatory should look like...maybe I should just do all windows? I like your idea of blending the look of the conservatory with the house. I just don't quite know how to do it.

I don't play gardeners very often, so this should be a very interesting experience once complete. I'm still trying to decide between a residential and a community lot. I would be interesting trying to run a household from a community lot full-time.

Any other comments?

Offline Jordan101

• NPC
« Reply #3576 on: July 22, 2014, 11:38:23 PM »
Hi. Been lurking for awhile and decided to sign up.

Here are a couple commercial buildings I've been working on. One's a laundromat and the other is a bowling alley. They're part of a small neighborhood commercial area a couple blocks from downtown. I'm still working on these and I'll try to have a couple shots of the interiors and updated exteriors soon.

The Alder Street Laundromat. The 2nd floor and neighboring building are just shells and the interior of the laundromat has a dated 1970s brown and orange color scheme. Right now I'm working on changing the facade of the one-story brown building. I don't like how it turned out.

The Gutter Ball Bowling Alley across the street from the laundromat. the Hillwood City Library is behind the trees to the left of the building. I'll try to get some pictures of it soon...

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline smilesdude98

• Llama Wrangler
« Reply #3577 on: July 24, 2014, 07:09:26 PM »
Wow, Jordan, those look fantastic! I can't wait to see what they look like finished. Looks like they would be right at home in Twinbrook or even Bridgeport.

Keep up the good work, and welcome to the forum! :)

Offline symphonicanima

• Nova Salerix
  • Llama Wrangler
  • Origin ID: symphonicanima
The Official Building/Remodeling Showboat Thread
« Reply #3578 on: July 27, 2014, 12:27:14 AM »
Since I'm not sure if this should be made its own topic or put in another thread or something, kindly move this to the correct place if necessary, mods! Thank you :)

While this isn't exactly a finished product, I'm actually pretty proud of what I have so far given that I almost never build houses/lots (well, and keep the final designs, anyways). I was very inspired by the building trailer from a certain future game that I simply had to build a version of it in the game.

(Now, if only I knew how to layout and decorate...)

This was originally a 'modern home for a multigenerational family', but I'm planning on turning it into a small apartment instead- I simply can't get enough apartment buildings. (Literally :P)

Another view, this time from the back of the lot.

Since I'm not sure what's behind, I simply turned this area into a future parking space instead. (Ignore that road sign, I was building this in Starlight Shores but plan on moving it later, haha.)

Hopefully the rest of the building & landscaping goes just as smoothly. Unfortunately, not so much high hopes when it comes to interior decorating. ;)

Dellena

« Reply #3579 on: July 27, 2014, 04:16:20 AM »
It looks great!  If you're interested, I start a thread a while back asking for decorators for some of the builds I was doing.  Several of them spoke up.  Have a look through here and you're welcome to post there and ask for help with the decorating.  You'd simple share it in game to make it appear in your exports folder.  Then send that sims3pack file to the appropriate decorator and they'll send you back the finished build. :)

Offline Jordan101

• NPC
« Reply #3580 on: August 04, 2014, 11:37:39 PM »
Here is an update...

This is the Hillwood City Library. It's backstory is that it was built in the 70s and has recently undergone an extensive renovation...
Exterior

1st floor

2nd floor

Here are a couple of other buildings I'm working on.
This is an office building that will have an art gallery and studio. The studio will be on the first floor and the rest of the building is just a decorative shell.

This is the Hillwood Fire Station. The living quarters will be on the 2nd floor in the back of the building while the Fire Chief's office and gym will be on the back of the 1st floor.

This is a warehouse type building in the downtown area. It's just a decorative shell.

This is another decorative shell. By the way, the sim in front of the house is Dan Armstrong, the corrupt police chief and one of the main 'antagonists' in the city.

Offline _Annika_

• Immortal
« Reply #3581 on: August 05, 2014, 12:58:05 AM »
@Jordan101 I love the city feel of the buildings you have posted. You have excellent attention to detail.

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline bubbles

• Dynasty Novice
  • Watcher
« Reply #3582 on: August 05, 2014, 02:37:38 AM »
I really love the first two buildings, not because they're particularly pretty, but because they are so reminiscent of some of the buildings in my town. You're really talented!
Bubbles's Workshop
Friends are like potatoes; if you eat them, they die. My friends friend.

Offline roguebait

• Llama Wrangler
« Reply #3583 on: February 07, 2016, 11:10:39 AM »
Reviving this thread because Mrs. Flynn asked me to share pictures of the house I'm building once it's done. Well, It's not done yet, but I'm so ridiculously pleased with how the master bath turned out that I'm posting a couple shots early.

Call them preview shots, if you will.

Just noticed that I need to recolor the towels on the counter. Whoops. Also I think I need to switch the wallpaper on the platforms to something with a thicker baseboard, so that the whole of the height is covered. Opinion?

House isn't finished yet because I had to take a break from it. I ran into a wall trying to furnish an empty space next to the living room. So I took a couple days off from contemporary prairie and built a log cabin in the woods:

Offline _Annika_

• Immortal
« Reply #3584 on: February 24, 2016, 04:01:44 AM »
I like the combination you chose for the bathroom walls. It really suits.

Offline ladybug53

• Watcher
« Reply #3585 on: February 25, 2016, 07:46:10 AM »
Wow @roguebait ! Love what you've done so far . Very anxious to see the rest of your build .  :)
Memories have no expiration date .
ladybug53's Studio

Offline roguebait

• Llama Wrangler
« Reply #3586 on: March 02, 2016, 06:46:09 PM »
Bad news. I had to replace my hard drive and reinstall the games. Even though I had backed up my save files, the files ended up corrupted either in the back-up or restore process. So it looks like I'll be starting from square one on that house.

Offline roguebait

• Llama Wrangler
« Reply #3587 on: March 15, 2016, 12:38:12 AM »
All right. Take two on the contemporary house. I'm going overboard on the custom content for my own game, but I do plan on uploading a version without any CC; it's just figuring out right now what each room will be, and then I'll translate them over. In the meanwhile, may I present to you Cleverly Named House. Maybe Bedecked with Angles? Who knows...

Exterior shots. Note to self: get a better shot of the decks later...

The first and second floor layouts, with labels

One side of the entry way. It's hard to tell in this shot, but the walls are green

The library, looking within and without. I'm not sold on the pattern in the sectional.

The media room. Stairs lead up to what will be the rumpus room/loft, which will house game tables, a bar, and some exercise equipment

The problem area right now is that large white carpeted area right smack dab in the middle of the house. I don't really know what to do with that section because of how large it is. Any suggestions are welcome.

Offline smilesdude98

• Llama Wrangler
« Reply #3588 on: July 04, 2016, 03:30:14 PM »
Just started getting back into building this previous week. Here are the two houses I've built over the long weekend for us in the U.S.

Modern_House_Ext.jpg
msg=447097
Modern_House_Int.jpg
msg=447097
Fractured Rectangle - 1bd, 2.5ba

Did a little sketch of this in a work meeting and couldn't get it out of my head, so I built it.

American_Twilight_Exterior.jpg
msg=447097
American_Twilight_Int.jpg
msg=447097
American Twilight - 2bd, 2ba

I wanted to try to make the roof lines I see so much on suburban American homes. 1 story house with accessible attic space.

Constructive criticism is always welcome. I've been checking back on these forums every so often and there doesn't seem to be much demand for new houses on the swap shop, so I don't know if I will go through the process of posting them there unless there's interest for it. Just thought I'd share.

@roguebait

I like what you have done so far! The stairs/cabinetry in the media room are an especially nice touch. I think you could turn the large area into a lounge/party room with a professional bar, stereo, maybe a dance floor, etc. Being right next to the media room with quick access to the deck would make it pretty easy to keep all of your party guests entertained!

Offline Nevermore

• Quoth the raven.
  • Llama Wrangler
« Reply #3589 on: May 04, 2017, 03:43:21 AM »
Not sure if this is the right place to post this, but I think I've seen posts in this thread that is just a room redecoration. So...

This was for my current family, when their first babies were born. (And now they have six, this room has seen slight redecoration since then.) They live in a three bedroom apartment in Bridgeport. This was the first room I redecorated in the apartment, because the twins needed somewhere nice to sleep.

The twins modelling the cribs!

Online Deklitch

• Nemesis of Reality
  • Watcher
  • Cruising the Danube, Amsterdam=>Budapest Dec 2018
« Reply #3590 on: July 28, 2019, 04:12:37 AM »
My attempt at a house in Hidden Springs with dormer windows.
Screenshot-1402.jpg
My building skills are basic, but I'm trying to improve and I used the Sims 3 roofing tutorials by @Twinmum to help me.

Screenshot-1403.jpg
The same house from the backyard.

So that it wasn't just simply "a long corridor with an entry and living area in the middle of it", I creatively added a kitchen at the back ... so the house is "a long corridor with an entry and living area in the middle of it and a kitchen tacked on". :)

Screenshot-1404.jpg

The interior of the house. I am using this for the Immortal Dynasty challenge. So the 16 rooms off the long hallway are 8 bedrooms and 8 museum rooms. The museum rooms have the outside windows and the windows into the bedroom of the attached to be immortal.

Screenshot-1409.jpg
A closer shot of one of the bedroom-museum combinations. Please excuse the unmade bed ... skilling is more important than housework at this sage.

Screenshot-1412.jpg
Here's the kitchen, done in the haute ascendia set where possible. Where an appliance wasn't available in that set, I used the appliance from the steampunk set. I also used the Japanese stove, Pizza oven, baking cooktop and canning station. Door to kitchen is locked so that non cooking immortals can't wreck the cooking supermax. Overhead cabinets are to be added.

Screenshot-1414.jpg
The entry to the building was a semi octagon so I used the octagon roof type. The thief alarms proved useful on Monday night of week 1.

Screenshot-1415.jpg
I used a half hipped roof for the kitchen. It took me a bit of practice and a few goes to have the roof run the correct way for me. I think I will try some windows on the outside walls of the kitchen, probably not the "Priorities mega windows/toppers" used elsewhere though.

Screenshot-1416.jpg
I've also had the Grandpa's orange grove and have experimented with using it this time. I'm keen to experiment with it and the swift grow station premium content. I have so far discovered that teens can drive the tractor. There are also 2 farmer market stands and 2 beehives in this area.

Screenshot-1417.jpg
The other part of the backyard is the fishing pond, water wheel premium content (helps keep bills down), and kids play area.

Screenshot-1418.jpg
Looking down on the house and the coastline behind the house from the rocky outcrops across the road. That water area has two fishing spawners. Sadly it doesn't seem to include alley catfish/angel fish, but that's cool. They'll be elsewhere.

Thanks for checking out Strange House.

anything