Author Topic: End of the Line Dynasty (4x4)  (Read 177444 times)

Offline Rikki8528

• Occult
  • Sims 3 Fan
Re: End of the Line Dynasty - A Matter of Time (12 July)
« Reply #435 on: July 12, 2014, 12:12:05 PM »
From what you've said about Hannah Pauline's name, I can guess where the Pauline came from but what about Hannah? Is that supposed to be after Ana, or something else? I've read your deca summary, and your life states story, can't remember if you did an immortal dynasty though.

Hank and Pauline were from the DecaDynasty, Ana from the Life States. I thought, but correct me if I'm wrong, Hannah is a mix of Hank and Ana.

Offline hazelnut

• Watcher
« Reply #436 on: July 12, 2014, 02:22:13 PM »
Happy birthday, Hannah! Her birthday is far more important than anything Grim had to say anyway ;D

I think so, too  :D.

From what you've said about Hannah Pauline's name, I can guess where the Pauline came from but what about Hannah? Is that supposed to be after Ana, or something else? I've read your deca summary, and your life states story, can't remember if you did an immortal dynasty though.

Hank and Pauline were from the DecaDynasty, Ana from the Life States. I thought, but correct me if I'm wrong, Hannah is a mix of Hank and Ana.

Yes, Rikki, you're exactly right.  Hannah = Hank + Ana, as a way of getting three founders' names into two spaces (and making Hank fit a girl).

As a couple of people on the forum already know, she was originally going to be Anna.  I changed it when a few other people also came up with the idea of re-using a founder's name:  Rhoxi in her second Dojo Dynasty and MarianT in When the Zombies Come that I can think of offhand - and there may well be others.  Anyway, when I thought about it, given that Sophia is from my DecaDynasty, it seemed right to honour Hank and Pauline as well as Ana.

I've played two Immortal Dynasties (the first succeeded, the second failed in generation six) but they're separate stories.  Well, mostly: there is actually a tiny link between the successful one and the Life States, put in entirely for my own amusement  ;).

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline smartburn

• Occult
« Reply #437 on: July 12, 2014, 02:34:31 PM »
Ah, of course! I was right about Pauline, so Hank + Ana makes perfect sense. Thank you for indulging my decaffeinated brain. ;)

Offline hazelnut

• Watcher
Re: End of the Line Dynasty
« Reply #438 on: July 13, 2014, 05:13:27 AM »
Childhood and Old Age

To her disgust, Hannah was sent straight to bed.  Just as though she was still a baby.  Huh!

First thing the following morning, she ran over to the dresser to pick out some new clothes for herself and then went to look for her mother.  Ellie was outside, as usual.

“Maman!  Can I learn to cook now?  I want to make myself the biggest, bestest birthday cake ever!”

“Well, maybe you’d better start a bit smaller.  Biscuits and fairy cakes, maybe?  I’ve heard you can get special little ovens for children.  Papa’s still asleep, so shall we go online on his computer and have a look?”

Being the only child in a wealthy family has its advantages:  Maman was only too happy to pay for same-day delivery.  Tante Grace, delighted that someone was finally taking after her, helped Hannah to unpack the oven and set it up in her room, while Papa volunteered to be Taster-in-Chief.  Grand-mère Pearl just carried on fishing, as usual.

By mid-afternoon, Hannah was happily mixing up her first batch of dough.

She tried all of the beginner’s recipes in the little cookery book that came with the oven and was really starting to get the hang of it when her great-great-aunt interrupted her.

“Sorry, Hannah, but you will have to go to school soon.  You need to be tutored to give you a good start.  There’ll be plenty of time for baking tomorrow.”

“But why do I need to learn this?  I want to cook!”
“OK, so let’s pretend they’re cake ingredients instead of just numbers.  The recipe says you need the same amount of butter and sugar, and twice as much flour.  So, if you’re using two ounces of butter, how much flour do you need?”

Once she’d seen a use for arithmetic, Hannah got on pretty well.  By evening, Grace halted the lesson.

“I think we’ve done enough.  You’re not going to be at primary school long enough to get on the honour roll, so we might as well stop there.  Why don’t you go and play outside while it’s still light?  I’ll fish and keep an eye on you so your Mum won’t fret about you falling in one of the ponds.”

“Maman?  Papa a dit que…”
“In Simlish please, Hannah.  No-one else will speak French at school, remember.  You ought to practise.”
“D’acc… I mean, all right.  Papa said that I need to have a good job when I grow up and earn lots of money.  Could I be a cooking lady?”

“Well, top chefs certainly earn a lot – and no-one in the family’s been one yet.”

“Why does that matter?”
“Do you remember me telling you when you were little that we’re a special family?”
“Yes – and Papa said I’m the speciallest because I’m the last.”
“I’m not sure about that.  You wouldn’t be here if anyone before you had failed.  Anyway, we all have to do different things with our lives.  You can be a chef if you want – although you’d have to start out by just helping in the kitchen.  Washing up, probably.”

“But I don’t like washing up!  Haven’t they got a dishwasher?”

Still, it was something to think about.  That night, she dreamed about making the best food in the world and everyone queuing up to taste it.

She woke up inspired: why not try selling her food now?  She set up a folding table outside the gates, drew a sign to advertise her wares and laid out everything she’d cooked the previous day.  Then she waited for customers.

And waited.

The paparazzi took pictures but didn’t buy anything.  She heard them calling her a junior entre-something.  It sounded like a French word!  Maybe Maman was wrong and some people in Starlight Shores did speak French, after all.

No-one else appeared.

Then Papa had an idea.  He didn’t have to go to work today.  Why didn’t they both go into town and set up her stall outside the coffee shop?  People liked cakes and biscuits with their coffee – and he could play the guitar so they’d have music while they ate and drank.

It was a good plan.  A few people even stopped to listen.  But no-one felt like tipping the musician or buying baked goods from his cute daughter.

And then something else happened.

Why hadn’t anyone told her it was Papa’s birthday?  She could have made him a proper cake.  As it was, she begged a candle from the proprietor, stuck it on top of her best chocolate muffin and presented it to him.

Then they packed up the stall and went home.

The next day was school.  It was OK, although there didn’t seem to be many children in her class.  And in the evenings, homework done, she carried on playing with her little oven and talking about food with Tante Grace.

As the end of Hannah’s childhood approached, her parents discussed her future: her obvious talents (well, she was their daughter) versus the general lack of opportunities in town.

“She’s good, isn’t she?  This is yummy!  She really ought to succeed as a chef.”

“But you said she must also have friends.  What if nobody is left to be her friend?  You are the one who said that Starlight Shores was turning into a ghost town.”
“I know.  It’s a worry.  But there are a few other kids at school and she could always go and visit your family and make some friends in Champs les Sims.  Besides,  people always seem to appear when something is happening.”

At her gig the following evening, she was less sure.  Her audience was… mostly missing.  And then, as she was about to start her set, the sparkles hit and, for the second time, Ellie had a birthday onstage.

Ooh!  She’d heard about old-age backache.

Although, actually, she didn’t feel too bad.  Or look too bad (if you could judge by an arm seen under stage lighting).

This might actually be OK.

She welcomed the audience (all one of her) and launched into her first number.

As she finished with the usual encore of Oogie Fever, Ellie began to feel that this ageing business wasn’t as bad as everyone made out.

At least, not until she woke up the next day with aches in places she’d never previously been aware of.  Was it, in fact, time to take things a bit easier?

Next chapter

Ellie’s last birthday should have happened as soon as Hannah was born – her career progress was so slow that she took nearly as long as Pearl to finish her requirements – but she binged on life fruit and went back to join Louis in mid-adulthood.

Offline EtnaFan666

• Shy Sage of Sucrose
  • Occult
  • Don't mess with Texas, foo!
Re: End of the Line Dynasty - Childhood and Old Age (13 July)
« Reply #439 on: July 13, 2014, 09:38:15 AM »
This story is looking up, hazel! I really enjoyed the story and the backstory behind it. I wanted to do something similar(have the founders of a dynasty be the final heirs of two others) but I realized that I haven't completed any challenges yet, and with Wizard101 demanding all of my time(I need to get SOMEONE to the final battle with Morganthe and Level 100!) and many things in the future(job workshop taking up my mornings and exercise taking up my aftenoons) I have no time to multitask, because my computer slows down like a slug when I try to run TWO games on it simultaneously. And with the Sims 4 coming out in two months, nobody would read it.  :-\

Also, I use testingcheats to keep everyone's motives high so I couldn't ever be in Hall of Fame, but that's less of an issue. I like reading everyone's stories and seeing who dips their toe in the water. Keep up the great work and I hope to see this thread in the Completed Dynasties thread and the final screenshot of Hannah Pauline with her collections in the Dynasty Hall of Fame.  ;D (PS: I love the fact that the final career will be culinary - Food Network and Cooking Channel are my favorite TV channels. ^_^)
I play The Sims 4 for fun, so I don't care if I never end up being interviewed for the Dynasty Hall of Fame; people who play for keeps burn out too easily and don't enjoy playing the games, so I am going to not sweat the details.

"With great ability comes great taking into account of one's actions!" - spoken by an NPC in Lego Marvel Superheroes

Offline Shewolf13

• Queen of the Dragons
  • Watcher
  • Wolf or Jessi is fine ^^
    • Wolfie's Writings
« Reply #440 on: July 13, 2014, 01:13:21 PM »
Oh Hannah is just too cute!  And I love the fact that she speaks French.  That is a great touch!  hehehehe, had to giggle a bit at Ellie aging up on stage once again.

Offline Malley

• Watcher
  • Simming since 2002
« Reply #441 on: July 13, 2014, 01:49:03 PM »
Hannah is gorgeous! She really looks like her dad. I think it's cute that she can speak French too  :D

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline hazelnut

• Watcher
« Reply #442 on: July 13, 2014, 02:48:07 PM »
This story is looking up, hazel! I really enjoyed the story and the backstory behind it. I wanted to do something similar(have the founders of a dynasty be the final heirs of two others) but I realized that I haven't completed any challenges yet, and with Wizard101 demanding all of my time(I need to get SOMEONE to the final battle with Morganthe and Level 100!) and many things in the future(job workshop taking up my mornings and exercise taking up my aftenoons) I have no time to multitask, because my computer slows down like a slug when I try to run TWO games on it simultaneously. And with the Sims 4 coming out in two months, nobody would read it.  :-\

Also, I use testingcheats to keep everyone's motives high so I couldn't ever be in Hall of Fame, but that's less of an issue. I like reading everyone's stories and seeing who dips their toe in the water. Keep up the great work and I hope to see this thread in the Completed Dynasties thread and the final screenshot of Hannah Pauline with her collections in the Dynasty Hall of Fame.  ;D (PS: I love the fact that the final career will be culinary - Food Network and Cooking Channel are my favorite TV channels. ^_^)

The Sims 4 may be coming out but I'll still be playing 3 - and I'd guess there'll be plenty of company.  I really wanted to like Sims 4 (I have leftover birthday money!) but, at least at this point, it just can't compete with 3.

My Immortal Dynasty founder supermaxed cooking but in the subsequent dynasties it's been left until late on in case any of the earlier heirs got too far.  As it happens, this time around I don't think any of them had even a single point in cooking.  The helpers have just been too accomplished to make it worthwhile.   (Plus, the kitchen's mostly been locked :).)

I've had quite a lot of uninterrupted playing time this weekend and Hannah's getting close (fingers crossed)...

Oh Hannah is just too cute!  And I love the fact that she speaks French.  That is a great touch!  hehehehe, had to giggle a bit at Ellie aging up on stage once again.

Hannah is gorgeous! She really looks like her dad. I think it's cute that she can speak French too  :D

Hannah has obviously inherited the French culture trait as well as her colouring from Louis (she drove me scatty singing Philippe's Kenspa as a child and has disconcerted quite a few solid citizens of Starlight Shores by greeting them with kisses :) ), so it made sense that she would speak French as well as Simlais.

Yep, Ellie did it again :).  She does choose her moments...

Offline hazelnut

• Watcher
« Reply #443 on: July 15, 2014, 04:46:31 PM »
Cooking Up a Storm

With a lot of tactful help from Grace, Hannah made her own birthday cake and, while it wasn’t quite the dazzling tiered confection of her dreams, it was pretty impressive.  Or so the family said.

She blew out the candles and then looked down, alarmed, as the sparkling started.  What would it be like to be a teenager?

Ellie wasn’t sure whether to be amused, pleased or disconcerted when her daughter turned into a younger, dark-haired version of herself.  Pearl was so surprised she nearly fell backwards into the pond.

Hannah put her hands up to her hair, wondering why her head suddenly felt so much heavier than usual, then gasped and ran inside to the mirror.

After a haircut and a change of outfit, she felt much better.  Practical hair, practical clothes.  Now she was all ready to learn real cooking.  Tante Grace had suggested starting simply.

“Pick a recipe and practise.  Make it over and over again until it’s perfect.  A salad, maybe?”

So Hannah let herself into the kitchen with the key that Grace had taped to her birthday card and looked in the fridge.  Yes, there were plenty of salad vegetables in there.  Oil, vinegar and seasonings standing next to the hob; chopping boards and bowls in the cupboards.  She selected a French cook’s knife (what else?) from the block and started chopping…

…flavouring…

…and stirring.

She tasted the finished result.  Hmm… not bad.  Could do with less vinegar in the dressing.  And maybe the flavour needed a tweak.  Mustard?  Some kind of herb?  She made a note and went back to the fridge for another batch of ingredients.

And that set the pattern for all of her school-free days and most evenings.

She took a night off to go to Prom…

…and, to her surprise, was voted Queen.

But otherwise it was just salad after salad after salad.  Occasionally she’d make a sandwich or some pancakes just for a change but she always returned to her search for the perfect dressing.

Hannah wasn’t the only one cooking the same dish repeatedly.  Maddy and Lou were in the kitchen from morning to night – if you could use those terms in a place without sun or stars.  Grim’s assistant turned out to be a decent cook, if not quite on their level, and so she took charge of most of the meals while they concentrated on Ambrosia full-time.

Joe and Tina did their best to keep up with the demand for ingredients, fishing, harvesting and planting.  Tavares had started learning the science skill but wouldn’t be able to increase their stocks by cloning for quite a while.

Quinton divided his time between fishing with Joe and working in the chemistry lab with Chris and Will, churning out endless Young Again potions.

And Macy started on the long, long task of overhauling time machines.

Ellie had decided it was time to take stock of her life.  However inspired she’d felt on stage on her birthday, she really didn’t have as much energy as in the past – and her family needed her at home.  Pearl was obsessed with fishing to the point where the rest of them hardly saw her, Hannah was showing every sign of becoming equally monomaniacal about cooking and, as a result, poor Grace was starting to look her age at last.  She was still trying to keep up with the housework and garden, even though Hannah’s search for the perfect salad had escalated the washing up to ludicrous levels and left the worktops spattered with oil and wilting leaves each night.  On top of that, Dan’s death had left her alone to cope with Pearl’s constant demands for more angelfish bait.  Every day her shoulders drooped just a little more.  If Ellie helped out in the house, it would relieve her burden just a little.

And then there was Louis.  He was as loving as ever, always ready for a kiss and a cuddle...

…or rather more…

…but she was beginning to wonder whether his mind was going.  The paparazzi had been only too keen to tell her what he’d called an old family friend in their hearing (and how much would she willing to pay to keep it out of the papers?)

And then, the other day, Grace had seen him heading off to work with no clothes on.  The theatre might be a more relaxed workplace than, say, City Hall or Broad Street Business Tower but she had a feeling that nakedness was going a little too far.  Fortunately, the reporters had been elsewhere at the time and it seemed to have been successfully hushed up.  (She must remember to thank his driver for her discretion.)

He was determined to carry on working as long as possible and Ellie couldn’t really blame him for wanting to fulfil his lifetime wish.  After all, she’d been pretty single-minded until she’d achieved her own.  But maybe he’d manage better with a supportive wife to help him learn his solos and remind him to get dressed.  Yes, it was time.  She took out her phone and rang the Performers’ Association.

And so life settled down into an uneventful pattern.  Grace looked fractionally less stressed and Louis went to work every day properly attired, even if he did mostly wear a dressing gown or swimming trunks around the house.

And then a quiet family musical evening was interrupted when Hannah suddenly leapt out of her seat and started cheering.

As she spun into young adulthood, she looked across at Ellie.

Please don’t let me turn into you again!

Oh.

And she went into her room to sort out something a little more chic.

Much as I love Ellie, her retirement was a relief.  It looked for a while as though she herself was bugged: the time when I did a global reset and she disappeared totally from the game sticks in the mind (going back to an earlier save and trying again reinstated her).  Clicking on her also seemed to be causing trouble.  After a few crashes, I took to avoiding it whenever possible: she always changed her clothes with the dresser after that.

And then, when I’d let her age up to elder at last and tried to tell her to retire, her phone started playing up as well and she couldn’t use it at all without glitching.  Meanwhile, the gigs were getting ridiculous – she was booked for three simultaneously at one point – and the proprietors continued to proliferate, especially at Flying V’s.  Going to venues and talking to proprietors didn’t give her an option to cancel gigs; phoning appeared to work – except that the bookings were still there afterwards.

It was a huge relief when I started up the game one day and found her phone was working again.  She retired ASAP.

Louis’ strange behaviour wasn’t entirely his fault.  Jeffrey Oakley, who had been one of Ellie’s proprietor best friends, obviously decided at some point that he’d had enough of promoting other people’s careers and wanted to be a star in his own right.  So he gave up the proprieting (is that a word?) business and joined the music career as one of Louis’ co-workers.  They’d become good friends by the time I realised the name was familiar and had a panic attack.  Ellie was promptly sent over to the theatre to sack Jeffrey (it’s a good job best friends don’t have to retain that status indefinitely :P) and then Louis invited him over for a few choice insults.  It didn’t exactly help his career but he probably enjoyed it anyway – although Louis is a nice Sim generally, he does have the evil trait.

And going into work starkers was all his own idea.

Offline Malley

• Watcher
  • Simming since 2002
Re: End of the Line Dynasty - Cooking Up a Storm (15 July)
« Reply #444 on: July 15, 2014, 10:04:43 PM »
Hannah has really pretty eyes!  They really stand out on her as a YA.  And wow, did Hannah look like Ellie when she aged up!

Congrats to Ellie on her retirement.  Now she and Louis can enjoy their golden years together  :)

Offline hazelnut

• Watcher
« Reply #445 on: July 20, 2014, 03:32:22 PM »
Hannah has really pretty eyes!  They really stand out on her as a YA.  And wow, did Hannah look like Ellie when she aged up!

Congrats to Ellie on her retirement.  Now she and Louis can enjoy their golden years together  :)

It's quite funny how the game decided that Hannah's hairstyle should be the same as Ellie's.  Their features are similar but not quite identical - but with the same hairstyle it's quite hard to spot!

Ellie and Lous didn't get as much time together as I'd have hoped... :(.

Almost There

Hannah admired her new look in Ellie’s make-up mirror.

Hmm, maybe I should have gone for film star instead of chef.

Then she did the sensible thing and drove over to the coffeeshop to ask for a job.

As her mother had predicted when they’d first discussed the idea, the only opening was for a kitchen scullion – but it was a start.   She was too excited to sleep, so she spent a few hours in the library reading advanced cookery books.  Really, it was high time she moved on from salad, however perfect her dressings had become.

Once she’d started her career (after the compulsory day off for non-graduation), she managed to impress the kitchen staff enough with her skills and hard work that she was promoted every day.  Well, that was, until most of her colleagues retired and she had a new set of people to deal with.  At least her boss was still the same.  He’d just had his elder birthday but showed no signs of wanting to stop work.  She hung around outside after her shift ended and then stopped him on his way home.  At first he seemed taken aback to get kisses instead of a handshake but then apparently decided he rather liked it.

Hannah had just launched into her ‘why I deserve a promotion anyway’ spiel when he started to float and fade into monochrome.  That wasn’t fair!  How could John’s time be up already?

And while he was in Starlight Shores, Grim visited someone else who’d expected to live longer.  Ellie was barely at the end of a normal lifespan and knew that her family tended to be long-lived.  She’d hoped to see Louis achieve his dream, to be able to spend a quiet retirement together; maybe even to see their daughter become famous as a chef.

She begged for more time but Grim wouldn’t be moved.

“Come on, Eleanor.  You know your family needs another tombstone.  Do you want to spoil your daughter’s chances?”

And they were both gone.

It was Ambrosia Day.  Pearl ate the odd-tasting but now familiar combination of fish and fruit…

…and was surrounded by the rainbow of rejuvenation.  Grace was oddly silent.

As she took her plate to the dishwasher, Pearl realised that her twin wasn’t eating.  She was just staring blankly at the table.

Pearl sat down again.

“Did you have yours earlier?”

They usually ate their Ambrosia together but maybe Grace had been too hungry to wait.

“No.”  And Grace burst into tears.

“I can’t stand it any more!  All these deaths:  Mum and Dad; Mark; Justin and JoAnn; Dan; and now little Ellie.  I just can’t go on!”
“Can’t you concentrate on the positive – think about what good lives they had?  Remember when Ellie came home on her bike with that rock, wobbling all over the place?”
“Yes, I remember.”  And Grace almost smiled.

“And we’re so close to the end now.”
“I know – but I’m so tired.  You have your fishing and improving your collection.  You still have a goal in life.  But I – I just can’t carry on.  I’ve thought about this, believe me, and you can manage without me now.  I’ve let the garden go since Dan died.  There are plenty of ingredients in the fridge for whatever Hannah wants to make; there’s no need to grow more.  You should have enough angelfish to keep you supplied with bait until Hannah’s finished her tasks...”
“And, you know, I could always catch my own.”
“…and she’ll be able to make Ambrosia by the next time you need it.”
“You really have got it all worked out, haven’t you?  Gracie, I’m sorry.  I didn’t realise how badly all of this was getting to you.  I love you and I’ll miss you but you if this is really what you want, then of course you should go.”

And the sisters hugged.

Although heartbroken by Ellie’s death, Louis was still determined to make it to the top of his career.  Grace had offered to make him Ambrosia but he’d refused.  He didn’t want to carry on alone for ever, just for long enough to achieve this one goal.  So every morning he breakfasted on life fruit, and he carried around the death flower she’d given him as insurance.

As soon as he arrived home after getting his final promotion, he put the flower away in a chest.  The following day, he had French toast for breakfast instead and, on his way out of the theatre after work, Grim came for him.

Insensitive to the last, the paparazzi snapped away.

Their preparations were almost complete.  The potions lab was littered with flasks of Young Again.

The fridges and replicators were full of Ambrosia.

There were plenty of spare ingredients stockpiled – although Tina insisted on talking to and nurturing the remaining plants through the rest of their lives.

She had also taken over caring for the aquarium fish,

…leaving Joe free for long, rambling conversations about the nature of space-time with Quinton and Chris – and Grim, whenever he could find an opening in his busy schedule.

Lou had left Maddy in charge of the kitchen and joined her mother in maintaining and upgrading the time machines.

Chris was running twice-daily coaching sessions in the gym for everyone who fancied their chances as time-machine pilots (which meant absolutely everyone)…

…and taking the chance to hone her own, already impressive, athletic skills to a ridiculous degree.

And then Tavares, who had been researching time travel theory online and questioning Macy and Will about their experiences of the real thing, had a brainwave.

I'm having computer problems again - it looks very much as though my hard drive is dying.  I've been backing up madly, so the story should be preserved, but it may be a while until it all gets posted.

Offline Shewolf13

• Queen of the Dragons
  • Watcher
  • Wolf or Jessi is fine ^^
    • Wolfie's Writings
Re: End of the Line Dynasty - Getting There (20 July)
« Reply #446 on: July 20, 2014, 03:57:47 PM »
Aww, sorry to hear about the computer issues :(  They're no fun at all!  But I love the story so far and can't wait to see how it all wraps up!

Offline Malley

• Watcher
  • Simming since 2002
Re: End of the Line Dynasty - Getting There (20 July)
« Reply #447 on: July 20, 2014, 04:19:59 PM »
What a sad chapter! RIP Ellie and Louis  :'( You shall be missed.

Sorry to hear about your computer. I've been there and that is not fun at all. Fingers crossed everything will be okay and get sorted out for the best!

Offline hazelnut

• Watcher
Re: End of the Line Dynasty - Almost There (20 July)
« Reply #448 on: July 21, 2014, 02:44:01 PM »
Aww, sorry to hear about the computer issues :(  They're no fun at all!  But I love the story so far and can't wait to see how it all wraps up!

Thanks.  It's so close to the end now: it'd be really frustrating to have to stop for a week or two while the computer goes in for repairs (or, even worse, has to be replaced).  Fingers crossed  :-\.

What a sad chapter! RIP Ellie and Louis  :'( You shall be missed.

Sorry to hear about your computer. I've been there and that is not fun at all. Fingers crossed everything will be okay and get sorted out for the best!

Thanks :).  This part of the story was sad to play and possibly even worse to write.  I'd far rather have lost Pearl but Ellie was so buggy that she was the only sensible choice for the last tombstone - and it there didn't seem much point in keeping Louis around without Ellie.  At this point, the more I can simplify things, the better - especially with the computer misbehaving.

Offline hazelnut

• Watcher
« Reply #449 on: July 25, 2014, 01:08:14 PM »
Travelling Hopefully

Tavares had a brainwave.  Two, in fact.

Time machines were horribly complicated because they had to be able to cope with travel anywhere in time and space – but all that was needed in this case was to reach three specific points.  Why not optimise each machine for a particular destination?

And, second, why not break the journey into stages?  They could cross from Grim’s home to somewhere in their own present-day world where they were unlikely to be disturbed.  Then each machine could go back to the exact moment when one of those other worlds had been frozen in time and, finally, break through the stasis barrier.

With Grim’s help, he programmed each machine for its journey, although he could never quite remember the details afterwards (especially that getting-through-the-barrier business).  Presumably Grim had some secrets he didn’t want to share with mere humans.

The others pitched in to help refinish the time machines’ casings.  At Macy’s suggestion, each was painted in a colour to suit its destination, to avoid mix-ups.

Then came the question of who would make the journey to each town.  In the end, Grim had to step in the stop the arguments.

“Macy, how many people can each machine hold?”
“Well, with the shielded storage for the urns, there’s probably only room for four.  These things aren’t all that much bigger on the inside than the outside.”
“So, with two living humans to collect from each town, that means a crew of two at the most.  Each should include someone with the strength to take manual control if necessary, someone familiar with time machines and someone with the ability to persuade your relatives to return with you.”
“I can go on my own, then.  It’ll give us more space.”
“Will, dear, you have the skills for this but not the traits.  You may have maxed charisma but you’re still likely to bore them to death or lose your temper.”
“William, I agree with your mother.  You need a partner.  I would suggest Madeleine – and Hidden Springs as your destination.  Louisa, I know you wished to make that trip but Madeleine has an equal claim.  You are needed elsewhere.  I have a feeling that convincing Lion- uh, Leo of our credentials will be the hardest task and you have the best chance of success.  Similarly, Christabel has most in common with Laura and Chloe and should go to Monte Vista, accompanied by Macy, who has complementary skills…  Which leaves the matter of the second crew member for Barnacle Bay.  On consideration, I believe Tavares to be the best choice.  Christabel tells me she is impressed with your progress in the athletic skill and you and Louisa have already demonstrated a willingness to take risks together.  The rest of you will not be left idle.  Coordinating the operation and monitoring its success are also important tasks.  Quinton, I would like you to supervise.”

And so it was decided.

“Right, then!  Tavares and Will, come with me.  It’s time to step up your training.”

Neither of them had the energy to argue with Chris in manic-sports-coach mode.

Soon they were all gathering outside for goodbyes and last-minute encouragement.

“TP!  You look just the way you did on the night we met.”
“Hair dye.  D’you like it?  I’ve been meaning to try it for a while.”

And then the crews boarded and, one by one, the machines shimmered into nothingness.

In the swamps of Twinbrook, a group of frogs was surprised by the sudden appearance and disappearance of three large boxes.

Their ancestors had seen boxes like these several times in the past but, since frogs aren’t great ones for storytelling, the coincidence went unremarked.

The peace of the Barnacle Bay night was broken by the arrival of a black box.  For a few minutes, nothing happened.  Then the doors opened and a young man fell out, landing heavily on the grass of the clifftop.

A young woman followed him.

“Tavares, I’ve been wondering.  If this place was in stasis, how come we’re not stuck, too?”
“Our arrival unlocked the stasis field.  Time’s passing normally again here now – although I’m not sure what will happen after we leave.  Grim was a little vague on the subject.”
“And this is just after Abi left?  It’s the middle of the night!  We can’t call on anyone yet.”
“No – but we could go over to the graveyard and collect tombstones.”
“Or, you know, there are other things you can do in a time machine.  I haven’t had a chance to admire your new muscles properly…”

The landing in Monte Vista was no smoother.  Macy forced the doors open and staggered out into the fresh night air.

“It’s OK, Chris.  I think we’re there.”

And in Hidden Springs…

“Will?  I’m pretty sure this shouldn’t be smoking.”

Hannah was also travelling.  Early in her career, she had been asked to go to China and learn the authentic recipe for stir-fry.  Bearing in mind the prominent warning on the family website (DO NOT GO TO CHINA!!!!) she’d reluctantly turned it down.  Now her new boss wanted to add falafel to the menu.  Would Hannah be willing to take an all-expenses-paid trip to Egypt to learn how to make it?  She agreed this time.  Travel to Egypt wasn’t recommended (“The locals can be touchy,” according to her many-greats-grandfather Ken) but it was still feasible.

It would only need a short trip.  She threw the essentials into a bag she could carry as hand luggage and set off for the airport.

The bookshop had just opened when she arrived, so she bought the recipe and sat outside in the marketplace to read it.  It was her twenty-eighth.

With another two-and-a-half days to kill before her flight home, she decided she might as well work on her charisma skill and see whether she agreed with Ken’s assessment of the Egyptians.  She wandered around the town, chatting to everyone she met.  Most seemed at least as friendly as the people back home in Starlight Shores.

She wasn’t expecting to find love.