Author Topic: A Portrait of My Hometown  (Read 44557 times)

Offline Blackrosea

• Immortal
Re: A Portrait of My Hometown
« Reply #120 on: May 01, 2014, 12:12:43 AM »
Moana DaVinci painted:

Top 10 Portraits: 50,259
Portraits Painted: 46

Total: 50,259 x 1.46 = 73,378

Online Metropolis Man

• Tournament/Dynasty Coordinator
  • Administrator
  • Watcher
« Reply #121 on: May 01, 2014, 07:13:38 AM »
This event is now closed Great job everyone! Wow..nice participation...46 players. That always makes me happy. :) Grats to Alexandria_ on her first win. She has not been online for about a week, so hopefully she can share her secret on how she got her portraits so valuable soon hehe. I know I am very curious.

As far as getting numbers of portraits in the 40's — a lot of players were saying "how did you guys get so many?" Easy. At least for me it was. I did not even do large portraits until the last day of Week 1 I think. I totally focused on getting the Brushmaster and other challenges finished on small sizes in the first week, then I switched my attention to large portraits. What I did not do is the Perfectionist trait once I did start portraits. The extra time needed to finish paintings scared me which was probably a mistake. I am guessing Alexandria_ did use it. Oh well, I am very happy with my score. I have not finished this high in quite awhile.

Thanks for participating everyone.

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline MarianT

• Global Moderator
  • Watcher
  • Everything in life is here to drive you crazy. R.T
« Reply #122 on: May 01, 2014, 08:48:36 AM »
46 people -- wow! I was hoping to finish in the top 10 (I think I'm 13th), but I'm much happier with the number of people who participated.

Vanna Gogh's traits were artistic, perfectionist, ambitious, loves the outdoors, and night owl. She lived in the empty lot with the "beautiful lot" moodlet in Sunset Valley, next to the laundromat from Twinbrook. Like Metro, I had her do small paintings first to get 2 of the challenges. I also had her pick up a point in charisma the first day, and gave her the Attractive lifetime reward as soon as possible. Once she was ready to do portraits, her routine was to go to the laundromat, give a charming introduction to whomever was there, invite over, and paint the portrait. Rinse and repeat. Once she'd done 25, she just had to show up and was instantly friends with everyone there.

One thing I learned was that loners will turn you down the first time, but will come the second, if you're friends. Another thing -- talking about art gives you a "++" rather than just one.

Congratulations to Alexandria_! (and I, too, want to know the secret of such high-value portraits), and thank you, everyone who participated!
When the Zombies Come(Completed)--100 Nooboos Nabbed

Enjoy writing stories? Please check the Rules for Stories before posting.

Offline Turoskel

• Watcher
« Reply #123 on: May 01, 2014, 09:44:19 AM »
I didn't think of perfectionist, can't rightly remember my traits now but I know I didn't use that one. I also did the challenges prior to painting portraits effectively supermaxing the skill and I had no trouble getting subjects to paint but not as many as others managed, I obviously missed something when it comes to value and painting speed, I was pretty pleased with my score when I posted it but I see it's way down the list now so I must have missed a trick somewhere  ???

Congrats Alexandria on winning :D

Offline KRae

• Watcher
« Reply #124 on: May 01, 2014, 10:25:36 AM »
This challenge was hilarious. I didn't know that all that was required for a great group outing was invite someone over, have them pose for portrait, let them watch cheap TV. Hey, call me anytime! For some reason in the last week with Arlo Bunch it was a great date.

Offline Jagid

• Llama Wrangler
« Reply #125 on: May 01, 2014, 12:40:02 PM »
I had an idea after testing why my score was so low. I thought it might be worthwhile to start without perfectionist and get your number of paintings for the skill challenges knocked out. While doing that make sure to save up for midlife crisis. Once your Sim completed all of those, use midlife crisis and get perfectionist to go for mad top-ten portrait value.

Did anyone try that?

Offline LivvieLove

• Queen of Mush
  • Watcher
  • "Sh! Be quiet! The nutters are out to get me."
« Reply #126 on: May 01, 2014, 02:08:55 PM »
Congratulations Alexandria!

My score wasn't that good - But I didn't practice...
I started off with my artistic Sim, her traits were - Loves the Outdoors, Ambitious, Perfectionist, Artistic and Over-Emotional. She also started with a dog, named Bear. I spent the whole first few days getting to level 7, and I think where I messed up was I was getting close to the 30 paintings, but I didn't quite go all the way - I was too eager to start on the Large Portraits. Like Metro, I only started with small paintings until she hit level 7 then I thought I was good to start portraits. What got me in trouble was my Sim would always seem to finish a portrait close to the time that no one would want to come over. Her lifetime wish was made to be swimming in cash, and I milked it as best as I could with the gems Bear would bring in. With that kind of wish you get large wishes for every increment ($10,000, $20,000, $30,000, etc) which really helped get her the Extra Creative Lifetime Reward early on. I also opted for a rocking chair over the bed, as she slept faster in that. I would get her to almost full, then send her to sleep in the bed for the nice moodlet. She lived on the empty lot near the Koffi household in Sunset Valley. She painted outside for the mood boost and her over-emotional trait really helped keep her mood high.

I really feel like not going for 30 paintings first is what hurt me, but I would have to test run this again, maybe trying what Jagid suggested and opting for Perfectionist only towards the ending stretch to help raise the pricetag on the paintings she painted.

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline Deklitch

• Nemesis of Reality
  • Watcher
  • Iceland has over 50 words for snow!
« Reply #127 on: May 01, 2014, 02:45:06 PM »
Congratulations Alexandria!

I popped my female sim down on the empty lot two up from Ms Crumplebottom. Traits I gave her were - Artistic, Ambitious, Loves the Outdoors, Perfectionist and Virtuoso with a LTW of Master of Arts. You see, I thought that in order to be able to paint a portrait of anyone, they either had to be a member of your family or friends with you, and I thought that playing guitar was a good way of getting multiple friends at once.

I learned Painting on day one (was the cheap lesson) and then went and painted and played the guitar around town. I painted small paintings until I got to level 7. Then I switched to large portraits. After the first few portraits, I managed to supermax painting and continued to paint away.

Another thing I discovered through play was if you are able to invite one sim of a multi sim household over (using invite household over interaction) more than likely, a number of them would come over, I could lock the gate after them and keep them with me for as long as I liked! I also liked to trap the paper boy/girl using the same process, 5 of my portraits were of paper boys/girls.

My finishing stats were 44 paintings, 9 brilliant, 13 masterpieces and 24 portraits. I supermaxed painting, and reached level 8 on guitar and painting career (I sold the paintings, but not the portraits) I had acquired 110k in happiness points over the four week period (without completing the LTW) and bought immune to heat, extra creative, hardly hungry, dirt defiant, steel bladder, fast learner and eye candy.

I had given myself a target of 20 of the portraits, and so I was happy with my effort of 24.

I did research into painting, primarily reading through the painting guide here on Carl's and also going to the Sims Wiki site and printed out their information on painting and did a practice run. I did up a spreadsheet with 3 columns, first one with sim name, 2nd one with whether or not I painted their portrait (when I started their portrait, I assigned a number, when I finished I wrote yes) and 3rd one with the value of the portrait.

Anyway, that's how I did it, thanks again to Marion for the idea and to the team for implementing it!

Offline Nutella

• Watcher
« Reply #129 on: May 01, 2014, 05:17:25 PM »
Buy legendary host LTR and throw 2 parties a day.  With 30 paintings skill challenge completed, you can paint 2 large portrait per day - could squeeze in 2.5 portrait some days.  As for painting value, I don't know how to get as high a value as Alexandria did without killing my sim or without doing opportunity.  :'(

Congratulations Alexandria.

Offline Femke82

• Llama Wrangler
« Reply #130 on: May 02, 2014, 03:46:50 PM »
I also bought legendary host LTR and threw 2 parties a day. I didn't test this really good, so on some days I only got to throw 1 party due to time management. I could have gotten a couple of more paintings had I practised a little more.
I first painted 30 small paintings, then continued to paint small paintings until I supermaxed the painting skill. Only after that I started the big portrets. My sim had the perfectionist trait and the LTR extra creative. I don't know how other people got as high a value as they did, I only got 1 painting that was worth over 5000.

Femke82

Online Metropolis Man

• Tournament/Dynasty Coordinator
  • Administrator
  • Watcher
« Reply #131 on: May 02, 2014, 03:56:51 PM »
I just thought of something — I know certain photographs are inherently much more valuable such as World Adventures ones like the Pyramids and Dragon Cave. Some Supernatural ones are valuable too, so I am wondering if portraits of certain life states or NPCs are more valuable? I have no idea and did not do any testing on this, but I am wondering if Alexandria found out that certain subjects are more valuable.

Offline MomOfMany

• Immortal
« Reply #132 on: May 02, 2014, 05:03:55 PM »
The only trick I had that I accidentally came across was the mascot. I didnt know anyone but the mascot so I invited her over so I could do her portrait. Then I went out looking for soneone else but didnt find anyone that I could get to come over so I called the mascot and invited her houshold over and low and behold she lived with about 50 people even the mail carrier that I snagged lived with her. Then after I chose people from the household to invite over they would show up in my relationship panel even if they didnt come so then I kept invited them over till I ran out then I would call the mascot again and invite over household and choose different people each time so I never ran out of people to paint.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk

Offline mayayeti72

• Llama Wrangler
« Reply #133 on: May 02, 2014, 05:24:06 PM »
Traits I chose were artistic (learn painting skill faster), perfectionist (for better quality paintings), loner (preventing lonely moodlet), overemotional & ambitious (to gain LTR points quickly). I created a basic small house at 9 Sun Song Ave for the beautiful vista moodlet with free floor & wall covering which I recoloured to my liking to save money. I bought an all-in-one-toilet/shower, a rocking chair and a radio. I then took a painting class, signed up for the painter career, bought an easel and enough apples to last me till I maxed the painting skill. Then I splurged on the $7500 package at the spa to keep my mood bar full for the next 7 days and started painting only small paintings at home in between napping, taking care of bodily needs & eating apples.  My pet cat Lucky was an independent genius hunter who kept me in cash with his quickly learned hunting skill.
My first LH reward I bought was extra creative (increase quality & value) and I managed to max the painting skill halfway into the 2nd week.
Once I maxed  painting, then it was off to the library to start myself off on the charisma skill by reading the book & meeting some people. Next three LH rewards were attractive, eye candy & legendary host to make friends quickly and for the legendary parties to come! I moved my easel outside and fenced my lot. I also made friends with the Frio brothers right next door. I moved the radio outside, bought a fountain and started displaying my art on the outside of the house to get the beautifully decorated moodlet (+40).
Thanks to scoring the “brush master” and “proficient painter” I could also now paint faster and increase my chances of painting masterpieces. I reached L10 of the painter career and fulfilled my LTW (swimming in cash) by selling off less valuable paintings and Lucky’s hunting finds, some of which were very valuable. With the alpha pet LTR he mastered the hunting skill with no trouble as I had him hunting continuously in between keeping his needs taken care of. I also had the hardly hungry, steel bladder and dirt defiant rewards by the end of week 3. “Master painter” was achieved at the start of the 4th week so I held onto all my painting from then on to pick my top 10.
Also, by the middle of the 3rd week I time managed the best routine and settled into starting parties at 9am (earlier is not possible) and locking the fence gate so not one could leave. I finished off one portrait, started another, stopped, napped, finished the 2nd portrait in the late afternoon, started another, unlocked the gate & asked everyone to leave, napped and then worked on the last portrait in the early morning. I set up the next party for 9am giving myself enough time for another nap before everyone started arriving in the morning. And the cycle started again where I finished off the portrait on the easel from the night before etc, etc . Simmies left my parties feeling elated and I constantly had the threw an amazing party (+35), having a blast (+40) and new friend (+20) moodlets.
I was lucky that almost every party a stranger turned up who then became a friend so I only had to go to the park and to the library once to meet new people so I had fodder for portraits.
I loved this challenge and my Simmie was such a legendary party bunny  :D I found myself bopping away to her R&B tunes on the radio...

Offline jesirose

• Occult
« Reply #134 on: May 02, 2014, 06:11:54 PM »
Buy legendary host LTR and throw 2 parties a day.  With 30 paintings skill challenge completed, you can paint 2 large portrait per day - could squeeze in 2.5 portrait some days.  As for painting value, I don't know how to get as high a value as Alexandria did without killing my sim or without doing opportunity.  :'(

Congratulations Alexandria.

This is about what I did, except I didn't need legendary host, I just set up a radio and everyone always had a blast. I also picked a lot that had the beautiful vista moodlet.
- Jessica