Author Topic: A Portrait of My Hometown  (Read 44988 times)

Offline Tandrael

• Townie
Re: A Portrait of My Hometown
« Reply #135 on: May 02, 2014, 06:41:36 PM »
I think I did like most of you, I still have no idea why I had such a low score. Mastered painting with all the challenges so she painted faster, but still couldn't paint more than one a day… because of her needs.

I also had a hard time getting sims to come over, in spite of my sim having charisma skill, a trait that had to do with charisma and the charisma challenge that gave her a boost when meeting other sims, they'd still wouldn't come over when she invited them over… neither personally nor by phone.

I made my file in Moonlight falls, my sim painted all kinds of life states, even ghosts, I was not sure what would come in a ghost's portrait but it was fine, still my most valuable portrait was of 5k, and I only had ONE worth that much, so I don't think different life states are more valuable. Or sometime when they did come over, they would run away as soon as they got to my sims place!

So I still don't know what I could have done better…  :'(
ˇPura vida!

Offline MomOfMany

• Immortal
« Reply #136 on: May 02, 2014, 09:13:00 PM »
Tandrael I didnt get any portraits worth over 5. At the start I did one a day but after I got steel bladder and all the other needs rewards I was able to do 2 a day. But ironically enough I got less masterpeice paintings after completing the challenge. I truly have no idea what I could have done differently either.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline Metropolis Man

• Tournament/Dynasty Coordinator
  • Administrator
  • Watcher
« Reply #137 on: May 03, 2014, 10:47:42 AM »
Well, rats! :( I had a funny feeling that Alexandria_ might have missed a rule and indeed she PM'd me and said that she sold her paintings at the consignment store. :( It was an honest mistake and she was completely unaware of that one sentence in the top 10 rule. I feel so bad for her. Oh well. Alexandria_ thank you so much for participating and being honest. This is a situation where a mistake was made and no further consequence needs to be administered, so please...I hope you will continue to participate in the rest of the events this year.

Grats to LenaLJ on winning the event.

Offline LenaLJ

• Challenge Board Assistant
  • Challenge Board Moderator
  • Watcher
« Reply #138 on: May 06, 2014, 06:58:22 AM »
Sadly to see that Alexandria_ made a mistake.
And sorry for the late startegy, but this is the first time im home at my pc again since the 1st.

Delta Stars was once again ready for a challenge, this time as a little artist.

Game setup:

Town: Sunset Valley
Expansion packs unistalled: Seasons
Moon time: New Moon
Opportunities turned off.

Sims:
Name: Delta Stars
State: Human
Traits: Artistic, Friendly, Ambitious, Loves the Outdoors, (Random, cant remember it as it didnt matter in the long run)
LTW: Swimming in Cash
LTH's: Midlife crisis, Extra Creative, Steel Bladder, Hardly Hungry, (The one with sleep, have forgotten the name)

Name: Filly Stars
State: Dog
Random Traits

First thing was to train Filly to level 1 hunting.
Filly had two goals, 1 find something valueable so that Delta would complete her LTW. 2 meet a few people and take them home so Delta could meet them.
When a dog gets a certain level with a sim, you can choose Go here with... And that way get the sim with you home to the painter.

Delta, started out with meeting the people Filly would bring home, when she knew 5 of them, she did throw, up to 3 parties a day. And thereby she soon knew the whole town.

I had Delta paint small paintings untill level 7, but at level 6 i stopped all paintings that where not brilliant and had her secure that skill challenge already there. Around the time when she reached level 7 nearly 8 she had painted the 30 paintings needed for the other skill challenge, and i switched her to portraits, so i could get the portrait counter started.
At level 9 i had her paint small paintings again, but only the once i knew where masterpiece. After a while of testing you learn which once will end up as masterpieces.

Now with all skill challenges done it was time to really get going with the portraits. I used some lifetimehappiness points on a Midlife crisis, and changed the random trait into perfectionistic.
After that it was rince repeat, throw parties, paint portraits and so on. I was able to paint 2-2,5 nearly 3 paintings on some of the days. The most important here was to have her mood as high as possible at all times, as i think that affects the value of the paintings.

I feel my score was a tad lucky as i had much more masterpieces in this actual run than in my trainings.

Offline KRae

• Watcher
« Reply #139 on: May 06, 2014, 10:04:29 AM »
How do you know which paintings will be brilliant or masterpieces? You mentioned testing. How does that work?

Offline LenaLJ

• Watcher
« Reply #140 on: May 06, 2014, 11:41:01 AM »
The normal paintings, the same paintings will always be the same quality. Hmm how do i explain that best.

As an example, as i dont have my notes by my site at work i cant see if the painting im using in this example is an actual masterpiece but:
The small yellow painting with a fruitbowl in it, is always a masterpiece no mather how many times you paint it.

So if you have taken note on which stanard paintings are what quality, then you can always be sure to make the needed number of masterpieces.

Offline Nutella

• Watcher
« Reply #141 on: May 06, 2014, 11:55:23 AM »
You can tell as soon as the painter starts the painting whether it will be normal, brilliant, or masterpiece.  You can do test runs and paint normally, remember all the brilliant ones and masterpiece ones -- store them in your brain or take a picture and store them in your computer somewhere.  When the painter starts painting, example if you see the beginnings of the fruitbowl, then you know that is the masterpiece.  If it ressembles a normal painting, scrap and start again, until you get brilliant or masterpiece.

Each size will have their own set of normal, brilliant, and masterpiece. 

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline LenaLJ

• Watcher
« Reply #142 on: May 06, 2014, 12:09:05 PM »
Your explanation was so much better than mine, thank you nutella.

Offline MomOfMany

• Immortal
« Reply #143 on: May 06, 2014, 12:37:29 PM »
Nice trick LenaLJ but are you able to do that with portraits too or did you just paint them no matter what? I felt like I painted a lot of portraits but I didn't get many brilliant or masterpieces sadly! I felt like I got even less after completed the challenge.

Offline LenaLJ

• Watcher
« Reply #144 on: May 06, 2014, 01:48:31 PM »
Nice trick LenaLJ but are you able to do that with portraits too or did you just paint them no matter what? I felt like I painted a lot of portraits but I didn't get many brilliant or masterpieces sadly! I felt like I got even less after completed the challenge.

Sadly i could not say for sure with the portraits, so i feel the number of masterpieces is just luck.

Offline LivvieLove

• Queen of Mush
  • Watcher
  • "Sh! Be quiet! The nutters are out to get me."
« Reply #145 on: May 06, 2014, 01:49:48 PM »
I don't want to get too far off topic, but maybe it would be helpful - now that this challenge is over - to create a thread that shows masterpieces and brilliant paintings from in game so others could have a guide to it. I never knew that the paintings were set from the start as to what they could be! I thought it was always random!

Offline KRae

• Watcher
« Reply #146 on: May 06, 2014, 02:19:19 PM »
That would be helpful, but now that I think about it, you're right. When I see Venus Rising start to appear, I think, Yes! Masterpiece.

Offline Nutella

• Watcher
« Reply #147 on: May 06, 2014, 02:36:11 PM »
I don't want to get too far off topic, but maybe it would be helpful - now that this challenge is over - to create a thread that shows masterpieces and brilliant paintings from in game so others could have a guide to it. I never knew that the paintings were set from the start as to what they could be! I thought it was always random!

Hmm good idea, I can start a thread somewhere with pics on the brilliant and masterpiece paintings.  I'll work on it.

Offline LivvieLove

• Queen of Mush
  • Watcher
  • "Sh! Be quiet! The nutters are out to get me."
« Reply #148 on: May 06, 2014, 02:49:56 PM »
Hmm good idea, I can start a thread somewhere with pics on the brilliant and masterpiece paintings.  I'll work on it.

Thank you very much Nutella!
I've got my Immortal Dynasty heavily focused on painting right now, so I'll see what kinds of paintings come up!

Offline Metropolis Man

• Tournament/Dynasty Coordinator
  • Administrator
  • Watcher
« Reply #149 on: May 06, 2014, 03:44:48 PM »
Thank you, Nutella. :)