Author Topic: Brilliant Minds: The Wainwrights of Sunset Valley  (Read 192206 times)

Offline Nimrod Mikkusu

• Townie
Re: Brilliant Minds: The Wainwrights of Sunset Valley
« Reply #90 on: October 04, 2016, 08:34:17 AM »
Welcome Patrick! I await to see you growing up and doing stuff that affects the plot.  ;D

Cycl0n3 may not decide the first name of his and Blair's children, but he could decide upon the middle name. Like, one of their kids could be named, Shane T0rn4d0 Sw0rd, or Selena Hurr1c4n3 Sw0rd, for example.

Offline Cheezey

• Immortal
Brilliant Minds: The Wainwrights of Sunset Valley - Chapter 21
« Reply #91 on: October 14, 2016, 10:11:30 AM »
Welcome Patrick Stuart Wainwright.  He is so cute.  But then I have no problem with nooboos wrapped up to look like bugs. 

Nice update Cheezey.  I do wonder what Cycl0n3 is up to though.  Peaking in your girlfriend's unmentionables drawer is way too weird, even for him.

I don't mind the burrito babies, either. I think they're cute.

And yes, that's bad, even for an inappropriate sim! :D

Welcome little Patrick Stewart. Waiting to see him in toddler age. And wondering what is Cyclon up to. Looking forward for next update.

He's not a toddler yet, but he'll get there soon. I could spoiler you and say he's a cute toddler, but I'm biased in that I think almost all toddlers in Sims 3 are cute!

Welcome Patrick! I await to see you growing up and doing stuff that affects the plot.  ;D

Cycl0n3 may not decide the first name of his and Blair's children, but he could decide upon the middle name. Like, one of their kids could be named, Shane T0rn4d0 Sw0rd, or Selena Hurr1c4n3 Sw0rd, for example.

I can just picture the look of disapproval on snob Susan's face if her grandchildren got netspeak names. :D

Chapter 21

After a brief stay in the hospital to ensure that Susan and the baby were doing well, she and Patrick were discharged.  Dr. Landgraab told Susan to take it easy for the remaining weeks of her maternity leave while she recovered from the emergency C-section.  That was not too hard for her, aside from being disappointed that the surgery meant a little longer out of work.  Susan was hardly the picture of an active lifestyle anyway.

She couldn’t do much in the way of lifting at first, so she relaxed in comfortable sweats watching her favorite TV shows or going online.  Patrick loved his baby swing, and would’ve been content for hours rocking in it if diapers and feedings didn’t require them to take him out of it.  “Yes, you know the good life, don’t you?” Susan cooed with a smile.

Boyd took a few days off work to be with Susan and the baby.  While healing, it was hard for Susan to get in and out of bed, so middle-of-the-night baby duty fell to Boyd.  It left him tired, but he managed, even though it meant he had no time for anything other than stolen naps and popping onto the computer just long enough to let his online friends know he wasn’t dead. 

It occurred to him that he and Susan were now near the age his parents had been when he and Susan had Blair.  Boyd had a newfound appreciation for how much help they’d been back then.  Sure, as kids just out of school, having a baby had been overwhelming, but poor nights of sleep at their age were harder to bounce back from than they had been twenty-some years ago.

Blair adored her new baby brother.  Weird as it was to no longer think of herself as an only child, she was excited to have him in the family.  She visited him and her mother in the hospital, and also stopped by a couple of days after they came home with some delicious stu surprise that Emma had made.

She found her parents on their computers, with Patrick resting nearby on a baby mat, fascinated by the toys dangling over him.  “Got him set up in here to do marathon computer sessions with you, huh?”

“He likes it, and we don’t have to go to the other side of the house to get him if he needs us,” Boyd said while Blair picked up Patrick and played with him.  “Though I can’t wait to get him his first computer!”

“He’s a way off from that yet, but it will be fun to buy ‘Baby’s First Laptop,’” said Susan.

Blair made a playful pouty face.  “Oh, I see how it is.  I didn’t get a computer until I was 12.  But you’re going to get one as soon as you’re big enough to sit at the desk.”

“You didn’t want one until then,” Susan pointed out.  “You were all about your doll house.”

“And the My Little Llama toys.  You had so many of them.  One Snowflake Day, that’s all you asked for.  Princess Pink Llama and her castle playset with her pet Freezer Bunny.  Right at the top of your wish list, underlined and highlighted.  Then you had a list of all of the princess’ friends underneath it.”

Susan laughed.  “There was a whole herd of llamas under the tree that year.”

“Do you hear this, Captain?  They’re picking on your big sister,” Blair told her baby brother in a cutesy voice.  Patrick gurgled back at her and touched her nose with his tiny fingers.

“Captain?” Susan asked incredulously.

“Well, you did name him after Star Trek.”

“He’s named after your grandfathers.”

“Right.  Whatever you say.”   Suddenly Blair smelled an unpleasant odor, and she made an exaggerated face.  “Uh, oh!  It looks like Number One just had a Number Two!  Warp Speed, to Mom and Dad!”  She held him out in their direction.

Susan looked up from her screen.  “Oh, so big sister is incapable of changing a diaper, is she?”  She shifted in her chair.  “You don’t mind, do you?  The doctor said I shouldn’t get up and down any more than necessary.”

“And for the record, Number One is what the captain called the first officer.”

Blair rolled her eyes at her father’s geeky nitpick.  “Then I stand corrected.  So in that case, I guess the captain requires you to be Number One, with Officer Mom out of commission.” 

Boyd took Patrick, resigned.  “All right.  Come on.  Off we go to biohazard containment.”

While Susan was still counting down the days until she could to go back to work, Boyd had to go back to the grind.  His latest project, further testing of his theory on using extracted life fruit compound to promote cellular regeneration in animal systems, was going well.  The results of the analysis Madison ran in his absence were promising, and he had high hopes going into the second phase.  Madison assisted him by doing another life fruit compound extraction while he prepared the next batch of samples to go through the analyzer.

Boyd had to calibrate the machine before they got started, and that was always a dull task.  If Madison hadn’t already been busy, he’d have asked her to do it while he took care of a report review that Judy sent a red-flagged email about that morning.  But that would have to wait.  Judy used the red flag as often as Simlish teachers used their red pen anyway, and there was still a week to get the report over to QA before the deadline. 

Boyd failed at stifling a yawn as he waited for the machine’s warm-up sequence to complete.  Three and a half hours of sleep did not give him much energy for the day, and that super grande red rocket he’d grabbed from the Java Hut downtown did not help nearly enough.

“That baby’s keeping you up all night, huh?” Madison remarked.

“Yeah.  Susan’s still too sore to get up and down a lot, and without me there, she can only nap when he does.”  He sighed.  “I thought it wouldn’t be so bad.  I’m used to being up late on the computer, but it doesn’t wake me up with alerts at random.  And time may dull perspective, but I could swear Blair slept more than him.”

“Aw, you feeling a little old?” she teased good-naturedly.  “I understand.  Sometimes I feel old, too.  The other day someone called a toy I played with as a kid vintage, and I was like, what?  But really, I mean that is twenty years ago!  I felt soooo old.”

Boyd chortled.  “If you’re old, I’m grandpa, and the Simsonian should take my old stuff.”

“Well, you are going to be a grandpa soon, anyway, right?”

Boyd paused over the keypad.  “What?”

“I was going to tell you, I met your daughter the other day.  Turns out she lives next door to me, and my roommate is besties with her roommate.  Never knew that.  Weird, huh?  Anyway, I went over there for a party and realized who she was when they introduced us.  She’s really nice, by the way!  We chatted for a while.  Christopher was there, too.  We talked about how we knew you and Susan and stuff, and how you named the baby after the guy who plays the captain on one of the Star Trek shows, and we were joking around and she was like, ‘oh, that’s why I’m not letting Cycl0n3 name our baby.’”

To say Boyd was shocked would have been an understatement.  “Wait, did Blair say she was pregnant?” 

Madison felt awkward when she saw how surprised Boyd was.  “Um, yeah, I guess.  I… I figured you knew.  We were all just joking around and she said it just like that, like it was no big secret.”  A contrite look flashed across her face.   “I’m sorry, I didn’t mean—you really didn’t know?”

“No, I didn’t know!”  Hearing that Blair and Cycl0n3 were having a baby was enough of a surprise, but to find out through the work grapevine instead of from Blair herself bothered Boyd quite a bit.  He thought he and Susan had a close relationship with their daughter, so why would she not tell them, when she already told a bunch of acquaintances at a party days before?  “This is the first I’ve heard about it.  She hasn’t said anything to me or Susan about anything like this.”

Madison bit her lip and looked down.  “I’m really sorry.  I wouldn’t have joked if I thought—”

“Forget it.  It’s fine.  Just… just finish the extraction and keep an eye on that calibration for me.  I’ll be back in a minute.  I need to make a phone call.”

Susan had just picked up a fussy Patrick when her phone rang.  When she saw it was Boyd’s number, she assumed he was calling to check in on them.  She’d told him that they would be fine when he left, but she knew that didn’t necessarily matter when it came to her husband’s worrywart tendencies.  It did surprise her that he didn’t even make it to lunch, however.  “Hey, honey.  We’re fine, if that’s what you’re calling about.”

“I’m glad, but that’s not why I called.  Have you talked to Blair?”

“Today?  No.  Why?”

“I just wanted to make sure… she didn’t say anything to you about being pregnant, did she?”

It was Susan’s turn to be shocked.  “What?  No!  Boyd, what are you talking about?”

“I just heard from Madison that she told a bunch of people at a party that she and Cycl0n3 are having a baby.”

“A baby?  Blair?  Our Blair?  Are you sure?  I didn’t know Madison even knew her.”

“Well, she said she was our Blair and mentioned Cycl0n3.  She lives next door, one of her roommates knows one of hers, and they invited her to some party there.  Something like that.  But she said Blair was saying how Cycl0n3 wasn’t going to be allowed to name their baby and they were all talking about it like it was something they all knew.”

“That’s just—I can’t believe Blair wouldn’t tell us.”  Susan felt the same sting Boyd did.  “I know we were a little… questioning about it when she first wanted to move in with him, but that was a long time ago.  She can’t think we’d have some problem with her settling down with Cycl0n3, after all this time they’ve been together.”  She paused.  “Would’ve been nice if they were married or engaged, or at least not living with a bunch of roommates first, but as we both know, things can happen.”

“You think that’s why?  We’re not that overbearing, are we?  Watcher knows I’d never want to come off the way my mother did sometimes.”

“If you came off like her, you’d be single.”  Although Susan hadn’t disliked her mother-in-law, her critical nature had rubbed Susan the wrong way more than once.  “I don’t know why Blair wouldn’t tell us.  What about Cycl0n3?  Did he say anything in TarzWar?”

“Not that I saw, but I haven’t been on much lately.”

“Let me call Blair and find out what’s going on.”  She glanced at the time.  “Hopefully she’s not working.  I don’t know what her shifts are these days.”

“All right.  I need to get back to the analyzer anyway.  But let me know as soon as you hear anything, all right?”

“Will do.”  Patrick cooed in Susan’s arms and reached for the phone.  “Oh, and Patrick says ‘hi.’”

“Give him a hug for me.  Talk to you soon.”

“Bye.”  Susan hung up and dialed Blair. 

“Hi, Mom.  What’s up?” 

“Oh, good.  You’re not working.  How are you doing, sweetie?”

“I’m fine.  How are you and the captain?”

“We’re fine.  I just thought I’d call and see how things were,” Susan said in a gentle and motherly tone.  “Everything all right with you?  Things going well?”

“Yeah.  Everything’s great.”  Blair stretched a little where she stood.  “Well, my back’s a little sore, but whatever.  I’m sure it’ll pass.”  She had overdone it in the gym the day before, but Susan took it to mean something entirely different.

“That can happen from time to time.”  Susan paused before continuing.  “I know you have a lot going on in your life right now.  Your job, your roommates, your boyfriend.  Other things that might be going on.  But you do know you can talk to me, right?  That I’m here for you?”

“Uh, yeah,” a puzzled Blair replied.  “What’s going on, Mom?  Are you all right?”

“I might ask you the same question.”

“Huh?”

Susan took a deep breath.  “Look, I understand why you might be embarrassed, especially if it wasn’t planned, but… we know about the baby.”

Blair was more confused than ever.  “What baby?  Patrick?”

“Your baby,” Susan said in a no-nonsense tone.  “You’re pregnant, aren’t you?”

“What?” Blair’s voice rose to a shrill note.  “No!  What the… where would you even get that idea?”

“Your father heard about it at work from one of our lab assistants.  Madison VanWatson.  She said you were talking about it at a party.”  A wounded note slipped into her voice.  “And I’m a little hurt you didn’t tell us.”

“Oh, my Watcher!” Blair exclaimed.  “That’s because there’s nothing to tell.  I’m not pregnant, and I have no idea what Madison is talking about.  What did she say?”

“She said you were talking about baby names, and that you said weren’t going to let Cycl0n3 name your baby.  Which is a good call, but beside the point.”

Blair groaned in frustration.  “Oh, holy llama, Mom.  Madison is… I’ll be nice and say she’s wrong.  She misunderstood.  We were joking around, and Tamara said bad names shouldn’t bother me if I’m dating Cycl0n3, and I just said not to worry, Cycl0n3 won’t be naming our kids.  That’s all.  I’m not pregnant.  Wow.  And I thought the Sunset Valley rumor mill came up with some doozies down at the station.”

“So, you’re not pregnant, then?  Madison’s just an idiot?”

“That’s mean, but… pretty much, yeah.”

“Oh.  I feel foolish now.  I’m sorry.  But for the record, if such a thing did happen, I hope you would tell me and your father before a bunch of other people.”

Blair sighed.  “Of course I would, Mom.  But there’s no need to worry.  Cycl0n3 and I aren’t even engaged yet.”

“Yet?  Does this mean you two have been talking about it?”

“Occasionally it’s come up.”  Blair felt a little awkward, although she was not sure why.  While it was a little odd to have relationship talk with her mother, it was hardly near “teenage woohoo talk” level of embarrassing, especially compared to what they had just been talking about.  When she and Cycl0n3 talked about getting married someday, he never seemed averse to the idea.  Sometimes he was weird in how he showed his affection, but Blair knew it was genuine, and that he was loyal to her.  At times she wished a proposal would come sooner rather than later, but she did not want to push him if he was not ready. 

“Well, he’s got a good thing with you,” Susan assured her.  “He’d be a fool not to keep it.  I’ll let you get back to whatever you were doing, sweetie.  Thanks for setting the record straight.  Love you.”

“Love you too, Mom.  Bye.”

Susan called Boyd back, and he answered on the second ring.  “Good timing.  I just started a run in the analyzer.  What’d you find out?”

“That Madison is clueless.”  Susan frowned.  “Not that that should be news.  She’s a nice girl and all, but I’ve never thought she was the sharpest knife in the drawer.”

“She was wrong?”

“Yup.  Blair isn’t pregnant.  She and her friends were joking around and Madison must’ve assumed the whole thing from context.  And you know what assuming does.”

“Indeed.  Thanks for the update.  Nice to know we’re not unexpectedly grandparents yet, even if it does mean I have an airhead for a lab assistant.”

“At least it won’t be much longer before you’ll have me back there to vent to in person.”

Boyd smiled.  “And I can’t wait.”

Over at the lofts, Blair was still dumbfounded that a silly rumor about her being pregnant had somehow gotten back to her parents.  As much as it had grown over the years, Sunset Valley really was still a small town in a lot of ways.  Blair decided to get her mind off of it and enjoy the rest of her day off by finishing the novel she’d been reading.  A Magnetic Attraction wasn’t exactly high literature, but it had interesting characters and a great love story, and she was always a sucker for those.

Before she knew it, she had spent almost all day reading her book.  She noticed it was already getting dark when Cycl0n3 came into her room.  “There you are!  Hiding away in here.”

Blair set her book down and got up to talk to him.  “There are worse ways to spend a day off.  Especially after what happened this morning.  Let me tell you about that one.”

“Actually, could you tell me after you get changed for a celebratory meal out at the snooty five-star bistro with me?”

“Celebratory?  What’s going on?”

“Among other things?  A huge check for solving that case for the Wolffs,” he said, holding up his prize.  “C’mon.  We can afford a full run of delicious courses.  My treat.  Let’s splurge.  I want to take you out.”

Blair couldn’t help but smile at his enthusiasm.  “All right.  Give me a few minutes to change and I’ll meet you downstairs.”

The Bistro was the fanciest restaurant in Sunset Valley, so Blair pulled out a nice dress from her closet that she had never worn.  Back when she bought it, on a shopping trip with Tamara, she had thought it was pretty but planned to leave it on the rack.  Blair did not go out a lot, and never attended the fancy political functions or parties at mansions and lounges that Tamara did.  Still, Tamara urged her to try it on and then told her she looked “drop dead gorgeous” in it, so she should definitely buy it.  Tamara could be quite persuasive, and Blair ended up getting it even though she couldn’t think of a time she might need such a dress.

It turned out that Tamara was right, and although Blair had some other outfits that were acceptable for the bistro, the pink and silver gown wasn’t overkill for it, and she had to admit, it was exciting to have an occasion to wear it.  She even put her hair up and a bit of makeup on, and for a moment she felt like the heroine of her novel.

Cycl0n3 cleaned himself up well for it, too.  He was in a suit for the first time in ages, and while he did forget a tie and his hair was still a little wild, Blair thought he looked quite dashing.  “Aren’t those your old glasses from high school?”

“Yeah.  I thought they looked more… formal-ish.  I can still see fine out of them.”

They headed over to the bistro, and had a fun evening together.  They ordered some fancy dishes, and Cycl0n3 amused her by reading down the nectar list in an exaggerated snobbish tone and fake accent.  Over dessert, she filled him in about the ridiculous rumor Madison had started, and they both shared a laugh that was still going on when they went outside.  Before they went to the car, Cycl0n3 pulled Blair close.

“So, uh, it’s kind of funny that rumor came up today.”

“Oh?  Why?”  She made a goofy face.  “Don’t tell me you’re pregnant?”

“Haha, like those alien stories you read about in the tabloids?”  He snickered.  “Nah.  No probing gone wrong on me, thank the Watcher.  But, uh, it does bring up something else.”

“What?”

“Um, you might’ve noticed I’ve been kind of distracted lately and stuff.”

She gave him a curious look.  “You mean like the day you were rifling through my underwear drawer looking for your keys?”

He winced.  “Yeah, sorry about that.  I know it was a pretty sad excuse.”

“Excuse?  You mean you weren’t looking for your keys?”

“No,” Cycl0n3 admitted.  “I was looking for jewelry.”

“Jewelry?  Why?”

She got her answer when Cycl0n3 let go, bent down on one knee before her, and held up a box with a diamond ring in it.  “Ring size.”

Blair gasped.

“I love you, Blair, and I know I suck at this whole romantic dashing hero thing, but,” he smiled up at her, “would you marry me anyway?”

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline Nimrod Mikkusu

• Townie
« Reply #92 on: October 14, 2016, 02:02:02 PM »
And finally, Cycl0n3 and Blair are getting engaged. They only rarely ended up together in my games. Most of the time just because I forced them to be together, he usually ends up with Emma.

Offline Magz from Oz

• Watcher
« Reply #93 on: October 14, 2016, 05:02:03 PM »
Fantastic update Cheezey!   I personally didn't take Blair's comment about not letting name their babies as any indication that she was pregnant, only that she didn't much like Cycl0n3's penchant for net names.  And I can't blame her.  But trust Madison to get it wrong. 

And the rifling through the underwear drawer has been explained.  That's exactly where I keep my engagement and eternity rings when I'm not wearing them.  None of my kids were brave enough to rifle through that drawer.  :P
Where there is love - there is life. -- Mahatma Gandhi

My Stories:
1. Duty Calls
2. Duty Calls Sequel: Islands of Sunset Valley
3. The Lady of the Lake
4. The Secret Time Traveler

Offline chetanhaobijam

• Chet for short
  • Immortal
« Reply #94 on: October 14, 2016, 09:45:03 PM »
Awesome update. That rumour story was intense. Almost believed it. And wow, wonderful moment. Happy to see them engaged. Looking forward for next update.

Sent from my Micromax A94 using Tapatalk

Chetan's Designs(my Sims3 Creations)

by Swirl~Girl

Offline Nimrod Mikkusu

• Townie
« Reply #95 on: October 15, 2016, 04:48:57 AM »
Fantastic update Cheezey!   I personally didn't take Blair's comment about not letting name their babies as any indication that she was pregnant, only that she didn't much like Cycl0n3's penchant for net names.  And I can't blame her.  But trust Madison to get it wrong. 

And the rifling through the underwear drawer has been explained.  That's exactly where I keep my engagement and eternity rings when I'm not wearing them.  None of my kids were brave enough to rifle through that drawer.  :P

Madison was simply daydreaming too much, because she's Madison.

Offline Cheezey

• Immortal
Brilliant Minds: The Wainwrights of Sunset Valley - Chapter 22
« Reply #96 on: October 24, 2016, 09:07:09 AM »

I don't think most would've, but there's always that one doofus in every crowd, so I figured I'd have some fun with the misunderstanding.

And yes, Cycl0n3 has odd ideas on where one might keep a jewelry box!

Awesome update. That rumour story was intense. Almost believed it. And wow, wonderful moment. Happy to see them engaged. Looking forward for next update.

Thank you!  The rumor mill can be quite a ride when it gets going.

Madison was simply daydreaming too much, because she's Madison.

Pretty much. :)

Chapter 22

Blair was so excited that Cycl0n3 proposed that it took her a moment to process.  She had always imagined that romantic moment in the abstract, some special day when her one true love would kneel before her and ask her to spend their lives together in a beautiful gesture.  And now it was happening for real, with Cycl0n3.  Not as polished or debonair, but undeniably sincere and endearing in his unique way.

“Yes!  Yes, of course!  Oh, my Watcher!  Yes!”  Blair could hardly contain herself.  She broke into a huge grin, one that Cycl0n3 mirrored upon seeing her enthusiasm.  Cycl0n3 slid the engagement ring onto Blair’s finger and watched her admire it.  “We’re engaged!  Wow!  I didn’t know you were planning this!  How long have you been—is that what you’ve been so secretive about?”

“Busted,” he admitted.  “The night of the party, I met up with a diamond broker from Bridgeport.  Found him online and he was in town ready to cut me a deal.  But obviously I couldn’t take you along for that.  I hope you didn’t think I was cheating or anything.”

“I thought something was up, but not that.  Or this.  I trust you, Cycl0n3.  You’ve never given me reason not to.”  She met his eyes.  “It’s one of the things I love about you.”

“Not my suave sophistication?” he asked in a corny, overly-dramatic voice before pulling her into a dip kiss.

Blair giggled.  “That still needs a little work.  It was a nice kiss, though.”

“Good thing you love me for my brains, and my—”

She cut him off.  “Don’t ruin the moment with that hard drive joke again.”

“Yes, dear.”  He smirked.  “See, I’m already getting good at this marriage thing.”

When they got home, Tamara, Emma, and Stiles were all watching a movie.  “Hey, you two.  Fun night out?”

Blair was still beaming, and she held out her hand.  “Yes!”

Tamara spotted the ring right away.  “Is that—whoa!”  She looked from Blair to Cycl0n3.  “Did you two get engaged?”

Cycl0n3 answered with a succinct, “Yup,” while Blair squealed out a more enthusiastic affirmation.

“Congrats,” Stiles said, and Tamara hugged Blair.

“Yeah, definitely!  I hope you’ll be really happy.”  Emma gave Blair a wry look.  “And I hope you realize you’re stuck with him for good…”

“Ha.  Ha.  Ha.”  Cycl0n3 made a face at Emma.

“So, when’s the big day?” asked Tamara.

Blair and Cycl0n3 exchanged looks.  “We didn’t decide yet, but… soon?”

“Sure,” Cycl0n3 answered.  “I just took care of the proposal.  The wedding planning stuff?  That’s all you.  You’re into all the flowers and storybook romance kind of things, so you just pick out the place and time, let me know, and I’ll be there.”

“Wow, way to be involved.”

Blair was amused that Tamara was more offended by Cycl0n3 not participating than she was.  “It’s fine.  He’s right.  I do want the nice, beautiful, perfectly planned kind of wedding.  I don’t mind if he doesn’t want to pick out flowers or talk to caterers.”  She looked at him.  “But you will wear a tux.  Just like at prom.”

“Awww.  I bet little Cycl0n3 was cuuuute in his high school prom tux,” Emma teased.  “Do you have pictures?”

“Hey, I was a sexy beast.”  Cycl0n3 struck a pose for effect, while Tamara side-eyed him.

“Yeah, I’m sure.”

“What’s that saying on the internet?” Stiles chimed in.  “Pics or it didn’t happen?”

“Et tu, Stiles?  Well, I don’t have to stand here and take this.  You guys make wedding plans.  I’m going online.”

“Are you really going online the night you get engaged?”  Tamara gave him an incredulous look.

“What?  I have friends to tell, too, you know.  My guild’s got to know I’ll be MIA during my wedding.”  He squeezed Blair’s hand before heading down the hall.  “But my lovely fiancée knows my door is always open to her, should she wish to partake in any, ahem, romantic celebrations after you guys finish talking.”

Blair’s cheeks flushed a warm red, while Emma shook her head.  “And on that note, let’s get back to wedding plans that don’t involve TMI.”

Fortunately, Boyd and Susan did not find out through the TarzWar grapevine that Blair was engaged before she had a chance to tell them herself.  That evening, Boyd had only been on for an hour before calling it a night.  Susan was well-rested since Patrick had napped all afternoon, and she was happy to watch him while Boyd caught up on some sleep.

The next day, Blair texted her parents to let them know she was coming over right after work.  Although she could have called to share the good news, she wanted to tell them in person.  They were waiting in the living room with Patrick when she arrived.

“So, what’s going on?” Boyd asked as she joined them on the couch.

“Well…” Blair was unable to hold back her smile, and she held up her hand to show off the engagement ring.

“You’re engaged!” Susan exclaimed.

“Yup!”  She held out the ring so they could look at it.

“Wow.  Cycl0n3 proposed, huh?  When was this?” asked Boyd.

Blair beamed all over again.  “Last night!  He took me out to the bistro, and it was really sweet and romantic.  Well, romantic for Cycl0n3.  You know how he is.”

Susan smiled.  “Oh, do tell.”

“Oh, it wasn’t bad, Mom.  We’ll just say he was a little un-traditional, but I knew what he meant.  He loves me, and the important thing is, we’re getting married!”

“I’m glad you’re happy.”  Susan stood up and hugged her daughter.  “I take it you two will be looking for a place of your own soon?”

“Yeah.  Probably after the wedding, though.  The housing market’s a little expensive now, and we have to pay for a wedding, too.”

“Traditionally, the bride’s family usually covers that, so don’t worry about it.”  Boyd put a hand on Blair’s shoulder.  “Let us know what you want, and we’ll make it happen.”

“Really?”  She gave her parents a grateful look.

“We’ve always tried to give you the things you wanted, Blair.  This is no different,” said Boyd.

“Thank you.  That really means a lot.  Especially since I know you’ve got your hands full with the captain over there.”

“Oh, we can handle it.  It’ll be fun.  We never got to do much for our own wedding back in the day.  Not a lot of money with other things to save for, not much time, and while that didn’t really matter in the grand scheme of things,” Susan looked at Boyd, who smiled back at her, “it’ll be nice to give our daughter something more posh.  Were you thinking traditional, or destination?  Indoor?  Outdoor?”

“Definitely traditional, no themes or anything.  Cycl0n3 would probably try to push for something weird if I suggested that, and no offense since I know you play it, too, Dad, but I don’t want a TarzWar wedding.”

Boyd chortled.  “What, you don’t want a fleet of space marines cosplaying on your special day?”

“No.  Even though I know Cycl0n3 would say he’s not a space marine, but a,” she assumed a serious air imitating him, “Level 88 rogue, smuggler class, advanced—”

“—stealth specialization,” Boyd finished in time with her. 

“Oh, wow.  He’s gone on about it to you guys, too, huh?”

“I’ve heard it before.”  Boyd had read it many times in game.  He suspected Cycl0n3 had his level and classification macroed for easy copy-pasting, with the amount of times he’d seen that exact wording whenever their guild ran groups or raids with outside players.

“I swear, he tells everyone.  I think I heard him bragging about it to the pizza guy the other day.  It’s like his second job title.”  Blair laughed.  “Anyway, speaking of my fiancé,” she brightened even more as she said the word, “I should probably get home.  Thanks for everything.”  She hugged her parents again.  “I’ll let you know when I have some more ideas about dates and places.  Oh, and don’t forget to pick out a cute outfit for the captain on the big day!”

“You’re going to keep calling him that, aren’t you?” asked Susan.

“Yup.  He’s my little brother.  He needs a nickname from his big sister.”

“I see.  Well, we’ll do what we can, but I can’t guarantee he won’t puke on whatever he’s wearing.  Babies just aren’t discriminating.”

“Maybe he’ll nap through the whole thing.”  Boyd glanced over at the baby swing, where Patrick had dozed off.

“Awww.  He fell asleep.  I won’t disturb him before I go, then.  Bye!”  She waved first at her parents, then her sleeping baby brother, and left.

“So, Blair and Cycl0n3 are getting married.”

“We knew it was coming sooner or later,” Susan remarked.  “But he makes her happy, and we could do worse for a son-in-law.”

“I know.  And now we can have family LAN parties on Feast Day and Snowflake Day dinners,” Boyd joked. 

“Speaking of which, was that a slip earlier, or are you coming clean, ‘Space’?”

“Oh, he’s an ace P.I., Susan.  I’m sure he’ll figure it out before the wedding,” Boyd replied as he sat down at his computer. 

Alone in his P.I. office, Cycl0n3 was playing TarzWar.  It was later than he usually stayed, but he was waiting for a call back from a client.  As long as he had his laptop to keep him entertained, he was fine with that.  He and his guild mates were working on skills in their base.  He passed a crate of resources to Girbits’ character and began typing.

Cycl0n3 Sw0rd: Here you go. Try not to lose this one to a fleet of killer droids.
Girbits: That wasn’t my fault
Warz Lordz: lol You fired on their leader! What’d you expect? You were lucky we got your corpse and salvaged that hunk of junk you call a ship.
Blizz Ego: Yeah not a great tactical move there @Girbits
Girbits: shut up I thought I could take them they were low level… I kicked their plumbobs last time
Girbits: no one told me the leader had summon army
Smack Pod: Knowing is half the battle.
Space Invader: @Girbits Fixed your ship. Don’t wreck it again or I’ll take your keys.
Smack Pod: Take his hyper drive too. Crazy kids and their reckless flying! Running wild all over the galaxy.
Girbits: shut up smack
Cycl0n3 Sw0rd: @Smack Pod Speaking of running wild all over the galaxy, I hear you’re visiting Sunset Valley?
Smack Pod: Yeah, I need to make a trip to that neck of the woods.
Cycl0n3 Sw0rd: Want to come to my wedding? I told you guys you’re all invited. Even @Girbits, but I’m cutting him off from the open bar.
Smack Pod: @Cycl0n3 Sw0rd Haha I might take you up on that. But seriously, I can probably time my trip around it. Let me know.
Girbits: I’d go just to meet you guys, but my grandmother wouldn’t let me.
Warz Lordz: If I could get the time off work, I’d go, but I can’t.
Cycl0n3 Sw0rd: What about you @Blizz Ego and @Space Invader?
Blizz Ego: Can’t get the time off, either. :(
Space Invader: Your wedding, @Cycl0n3 Sw0rd?  I wouldn’t miss it.

Cycl0n3 remembered the notion he’d had months ago about how much Space had in common with Blair’s father.  In the time since, he hadn’t given it much thought.  Now that he was reminded, it occurred to him that Space had cut back his TarzWar time due to having to help “Mrs. Space” with their newborn around the same time that Blair’s brother had been born.  Coincidence?  There was only one way to find out.

Cycl0n3 Sw0rd: @Space Invader Cool.  So are you from Sunset Valley or are you making a trip, too?
Smack Pod: Meeting two guildies? Cool!
Girbits: this sucks. wish I could hang out with you guys
Blizz Ego: Yeah
Space Invader: I live in Sunset Valley.
Cycl0n3 Sw0rd: You live in SV, too? How come you never said so before?
Girbits: yeah you could’ve met and never knew it
Space Invader: You never asked me where I live before. I rarely volunteer details like that online.
Warz Lordz: Not a bad policy. You never know what weirdos you might run into. Look at what poor @Blizz Ego’s girlfriend wound up with when she tried online dating…
Blizz Ego: At least I have a GF
Blizz Ego: When was the last time you had a date @Warz Lordz?

As the conversation trailed off on a different tangent, Cycl0n3 tapped his fingers against the desk.  So Space was from Sunset Valley?  Whether he turned out to be Blair’s father or not, one thing was for sure: meeting him and Smack Pod would be interesting, and he looked forward to it. 

Blair and Cycl0n3 set a close date for the wedding when it turned out that the venue Blair liked best was available on a weekend just before autumn began.  The idea of a beautiful outdoor wedding appealed to her, and she hoped the weather would cooperate.  Sunset Valley often got rainy in the fall.

Her mother and Tamara took her to a bridal salon to help her find the right dress for the big day.  It was a harder choice than she imagined.  There were so many beautiful dresses!

“I don’t know about this one.  It’s pretty, but… doesn’t it make me look too skinny?  And I don’t know about these arm straps.”

“They do look a bit impractical,” Susan agreed.

Tamara looked her over.  “Maybe they could alter it, but there are lots more you can try if you’re not sold on it.”

Blair tried on several more gowns before she found one that she absolutely loved.  It was beautiful, but on the expensive side.  Not Landgraab designer expensive, but far from a bargain.

“This is perfect, but it’s so—”

Tamara examined the label.  “This designer’s new on the scene in Bridgeport, and getting to be a hot name.  It’s not a bad price, considering.  And it looks great on you.”

“If you want it, sweetie, get it,” Susan told her.  “I’ll cover it.”

“But Mom, it’s a lot of money, and you and Dad are already paying for the wedding and reception.”

“Your father and I got married in a thrift store special and rented tux at city hall because it was all we could afford.  I’ve got no regrets, but I can’t say it was fun having to nickel and dime every little thing for such a big occasion.  I’d rather my daughter not feel like she has to.”  Susan was kind but firm.  “Get the dress.  I have my card on me.”

“Mom, I have my own money.”

“Save it for the house you want to buy, then.  Or pay for your shoes or hair if you absolutely insist.  But this is my treat.”

Blair smiled.  “All right.  Thanks.”

The day before the wedding, Justin Kayes, or to those who knew him in TarzWar, Smack Pod, arrived in Sunset Valley.  It was a Friday, and Justin exchanged texts with both Cycl0n3 and Boyd to meet up for lunch at the local diner.  Boyd was working that day, but he was able to leave the lab and meet up on his lunch hour.  Not only was he looking forward to meeting Smack Pod, he was also eager to wrap up the double identity game.  While it had been amusing to see Cycl0n3 through two different perspectives, soon he was going to be family.  Boyd wanted a friendly relationship with his future son-in-law, not a complicated one.  The truth was, he liked Cycl0n3.  Even if he hadn’t turned out to be Blair’s boyfriend and had been just an online guild mate, he still would have wanted to meet him like he was meeting Smack Pod.

When Boyd got to the diner, he found Justin and joined him at the table, but Cycl0n3 was nowhere to be seen.  “Hi, Smack Pod?  Or Justin?  Which do you want me to call you?”

“Either’s fine, Space slash Boyd,” Justin replied.  “You?”

“Go with Boyd, I guess.  I’m not used to answering to ‘Space’ outside of text.”

Justin smirked a bit.  “All right, but we might make ‘my legal name is Cycl0n3 Sw0rd’ feel awkward when he shows up.”

Boyd chuckled.  “Oh, you have no idea.”

“Oh?”  Justin gave him a curious look.

They paused while the waiter took their order, and Boyd explained.  “He doesn’t know this yet, but I won’t be at his wedding just because he’s a guild mate.  I’m the bride’s father.  I realized she was dating a TarzWar guildie a while ago, because of the whole ‘Cycl0n3’s screen name is his real name’ thing.  Which was weird, since that wasn’t his name when they dated in high school.”

Justin laughed.  “Holy llama.  You’re his girlfriend’s dad?  That’s hilarious.  He doesn’t know?”

“Nope.”

“And you didn’t tell him?”

Boyd shook his head.  “No.  At first I was curious if he was different online, and then it just became kind of an experiment in how long it’d take him to figure it out.”

“Doesn’t seem like it’d be that hard to put together, especially for a P.I.!”  Justin took a bite of his pancakes.  “I’m so going to rip on him for that whenever he gets here.  Must be running late.”

Boyd looked over at the door, where there was no sign of Cycl0n3, and took a bite of his fish and chips.  “Hope he doesn’t take too long.  I can’t stretch my lunch hour too much.  I’ve got things on timers back at the lab.”

The two of them chatted while they ate, moving on from the topic of Cycl0n3 to TarzWar in general, and then other things they had in common, such as their interest in computers and electronics.  Boyd talked about some of the work he did at the lab, while Justin told him about the latest invention project he was working on.  Boyd found Justin as pleasant in person as online, although he hadn’t expected otherwise.  While he liked all of his guild mates, he had always found the most common ground with Justin and his roommate Wei, known in game as Warz Lordz.

Unfortunately, Cycl0n3 still hadn’t shown up by the time Boyd had to leave.  “Sorry to bail, but I really can’t stick around any longer,” Boyd said, disappointed.  “It’s been fun, though.  When Cycl0n3 shows up, tell him I said hi and sorry I missed him.”

“Yeah, it’s a shame.  I’d have liked to bear witness to your big reveal myself,” he said with a wry look.  “Don’t worry, I won’t spoiler him on it, but you’ll have to tell me how it goes when he finds out.”  He shook Boyd’s hand as he got ready to leave.  “It was great meeting you, man.  I’ll see you tomorrow at the wedding.  Which, by the way, thanks for having me at, too, being part of Cycl0n3’s new family and all.  I’m glad I made it here to Sunset Valley to meet you guys.” 

“It was good meeting you, too.  We’ll have to grab a drink at the reception, and you can tell me more about your project.  It sounds fascinating.”

A minute or so after Boyd left, Justin got a text from Cycl0n3 apologizing for running behind and telling him he was on his way.  When he got there, he headed to Justin’s table.  “Going by the description you gave of shaggy dark hair, glasses, striped shirt, and ‘junkyard jeans,’ you must be Smack Pod.”

“Excellent deduction, detective.  Nothing gets by you.”  Justin shook his hand.  “Nice to meet you, Cycl0n3.”

“Thanks.  Same.”  Cycl0n3 sat down in the empty chair across from him.  “So, our table seems to be lacking a middle-aged computer geek.  Am I to assume Space is a no-show?”

Justin laughed.  “No show?  Dude, he was here and left.  He had to go back to work.  You’re super late.”

Cycl0n3 glanced at the time and winced.  “Oh.  Wow.  Sorry.  I was just about to leave when I got a call for a new case, but she took forever giving details, and I couldn’t rush her off the phone.  Didn’t mean to hold you guys up so much, though.”

“Space was sorry he missed you.”  There was a twinkle in Justin’s eye as he continued the trolling of their guild’s most notorious troll.  He had no doubt that part of the reason Boyd carried it on so long was because Cycl0n3 had it coming.  Although they liked him, Cycl0n3 constantly bragged about his elite trolling skills, how he was a master troll, and the ways he would fire up not only rival guilds and other TarzWar players, but posters on places like SimTube and 4plum as well.  He had even trolled his fellow guild mates in fun a time or two.  Justin could not help but appreciate the irony.

“Yeah, I’m sorry I missed him, too.”  Cycl0n3 paused to give his order to the waiter, and then continued.  “I was looking forward to meeting both of you.”

“Well, we’ll both be at your wedding,” Justin said.

“True.”  Especially if he turned out to be who Cycl0n3 suspected.  “So, what was Space like, anyway?”

Justin shrugged.  “Kind of like you’d expect.  Middle-aged computer geek who plays TarzWar and is into science.  Pale.  Thin.  Works in a lab and looks the part.”

“Right.”  The waiter brought his food by, and Cycl0n3 took a bite.  “He cool to talk to?”

“Yeah.  We had a good time.  Shame you didn’t get here sooner.  I’m sure you’d have gotten a kick out of some of the stuff we talked about.”  He finished his pancakes.  “So, ready for your big day?  I hope your girlfriend won’t mind having a bunch of TarzWar geeks at the wedding.”

“Nah.  She’s used to it.  She’s marrying one, and her parents are huge nerds.  Possibly worse than me, if you go by years of experience.”

Justin tried not to laugh.  “You don’t say.”

“Yup.  You’ll see at the wedding.”  He took another chomp out of his hot dog.  “But Blair’s sweet.  You’ll like her.  I think you two will get along great.  Just remember she’s taken,” he said with a grin.

“I wouldn’t flirt with one of the only girls on the planet who’d put up with you, Cycl0n3, especially at your wedding,” Justin teased.  “Besides, romance is pretty low on my to-do list right now.”

“Well, if you change your mind, you can always go for one of my roommates.  You’d be a huge step up from that loser Tamara’s dating.”

Cycl0n3 and Justin spent another hour talking and chatting over their empty plates, and had a good time together.  “Shame I missed your bachelor party,” Justin said as they got ready to leave.  “Now I’ll just have to wait for Lang to take the plunge with Dilly.”

“I didn’t have one, actually.”

“Oh, really?”

Cycl0n3 shrugged.  “I don’t care about that stuff.  Drinking too much and ogling strippers on a wild night out?  That’s more Tamara’s kind of thing.  If I want to knock back a few and look at women that aren’t Blair, I’ll mix my own juice and load up a dark corner of the internet.”

“Well, I can’t argue with that logic.  I’ll see you tomorrow, man.  I know you’ve got the rehearsal dinner tonight, and I need to take care of my stuff before the offices around here close.  Wedding’s at two at the lounge downtown, right?”

“Yup.  See you there in our non-bumming around online clothes.”  He made a face.  “I still hate wearing tuxes.  Those things are so plum uncomfortable.”

After the rehearsal was over, the wedding party of Blair, Cycl0n3, her parents, baby Patrick, Tamara, Stiles, and Emma went to dinner at a restaurant that recently opened uptown.  Although someone like Justin, who Cycl0n3 was closer with than Stiles, would have been better suited to being a best man, Cycl0n3 did not have any close local male friends to ask.  Stiles was happy to accept the role, while Tamara was Blair’s maid of honor and Emma was a bridesmaid.  Cycl0n3 didn’t have any other groomsmen, but neither he nor Blair minded an unbalanced party.

While they were waiting on their food, Cycl0n3 excused himself to go to the bar for a cocktail.  Boyd took the opportunity to speak to Cycl0n3 alone, and joined him.

“Cycl0n3, do you have a moment?”

“Sure, Mr. Wainwright.  Or now that we’re going to be family, should I start calling you Boyd or, maybe,” he met his eyes, “Space?”

Boyd smiled.  “Congratulations, detective.  You got me.”

“I should say you got me,” Cycl0n3 retorted.  “That’s a trolling so hardcore, I’d be furious if I wasn’t impressed.  I didn’t know you had it in you.  Either version.”  He pointed a finger at him.  “Seriously, you had to have known for ages now.  Probably since that night Blair brought me to your house when she decided to move in with us.”

“Before that, actually,” Boyd admitted.  “She mentioned your name change, the same name as one of my TarzWar guildies, who had just left University to go home to Sunset Valley.  It was too much to be coincidence.”

“And you didn’t mention that you were my good buddy Space Invader because…?”

“A few reasons.  The main one being I was concerned about Blair moving in with you when you were her ex-boyfriend.  I’m glad it didn’t turn out that way, but at the time, it looked like a disaster waiting to happen.  A window of opportunity for a warning that she might come home in tears was pragmatic.”

“So, fatherly concern?” Cycl0n3 scoffed.  “That’s all?”

“No.  It was also… interesting.  Not to fall back on the old ‘social experiment’ excuse, but it was, in a way.  I won’t deny it was intriguing to view the same individual through two different lenses, so to speak.”  He frowned.  “Except when you’d over-share about your love life in guild chat.  Glad I won’t have to regret that I can’t un-see text anymore.”

“This from the guy who told us about his wife wearing a sexy Scully costume for him on Spooky Day that time we all talked about favorite cosplays.”  Cycl0n3 made a face as his mind attempted to paint the image of Blair’s mother in such a getup.  “Oh, man.  That’s going to be my mother-in-law.  Awkward.”

“Welcome to my world.  Oh, and,” he made a cutting gesture with his hand, “Susan doesn’t need to know I mentioned that.”

“It’d serve you right if ‘Mrs. Space’ sent you to the couch,” Cycl0n3 groused. 

“I owe you an apology for not letting you know,” Boyd said sincerely.  “It was dishonest and rather childish.  Especially since you’re a friend, at least to me as ‘Space.’  So, I’m sorry.”

“Okay.”  Cycl0n3 sighed.  “You know, I feel like I should be madder at you, but I do appreciate a good trolling job, so, well played.  I just can’t believe I didn’t see it before.  The funny thing is, a couple times I thought you had a lot in common with, well, you, but I don’t know, I didn’t think—”

“That Blair’s boring old father would do such a thing?”

“Pretty much, yeah.” 

“Good to know that ‘middle-aged unassuming nerd’ is an effective disguise.  Anyway, I’m glad we cleared the air before the big day tomorrow.”

“Me, too.  But now I don’t know who’s going to sit with poor Smack now that Space is at the bride’s family table.”

“He’ll be fine.  It’s not like he doesn’t know.”

Cycl0n3 was indignant.  “You told him?”

“Only at lunch.  When I was planning to tell you, actually.  But you never made it there before I got back to work.”

“And Smack acted like he had no clue.  Smug llama probably thought it was funny.”

“Ask him tomorrow.”

“I will, over a fine expensive vintage bottle of nectar that, oh!  You’re paying for, aren’t you, Dad-in-law?  Well, thanks!”  Cycl0n3 grinned.  “I think that’ll make us about even.  What do you say?”  He extended his hand.

Boyd nodded and shook.  “Welcome to the family, Cycl0n3.”

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline Nimrod Mikkusu

• Townie
« Reply #97 on: October 24, 2016, 02:18:43 PM »
And finally he was welcomed to the family.  ;D :o A lot of shenanigans ensue. Of course I already read this update over on Wordpress, but.  ::) This story may become the start of most Wainwright Family fanons - and may even inspire EAxis to put them as original townies again.  ::) ;D At least it will become the most iconic story about them and will make them iconic.

Offline oshizu

• Watcher
    • oshizu's asylum
« Reply #98 on: October 24, 2016, 03:14:44 PM »
I never played Sims 3 much because it caused my laptop to overheat and die, so I'm not that familiar with the game or its townies.

Today, though, I read through your story in one sitting and really love it! It's inspired!
Thank you so much for filling my morning with laughter  ;D

Offline Magz from Oz

• Watcher
« Reply #99 on: October 24, 2016, 04:10:33 PM »
Terrific update Cheezey!  I loved the interactions between Boyd and Cycl0n3.  You make it so believable.  I'm really looking forward to the wedding.  That should be fun.

My Stories:
1. Duty Calls
3. The Lady of the Lake

Offline chetanhaobijam

• Chet for short
  • Immortal
« Reply #100 on: October 24, 2016, 10:48:21 PM »
Awesome update. So happy for the engaged couple. Can't wait for the big day, the wedding.

Sent from my Micromax A94 using Tapatalk

Chetan's Designs(my Sims3 Creations)

by Swirl~Girl

Offline Banana Bender

• Llama Wrangler
« Reply #101 on: October 25, 2016, 02:35:02 AM »
Well congratulation to Blair and Cycl0n3.  Blair, everything you wear will make you look skinny.  Primarily because you are skinny.  But I do like that dress Blair tried on as a wedding dress.  I use it a lot.  I'm interested in seeing what Blair does wear though.  I can't see her in anything too frou-frou.

Offline Nimrod Mikkusu

• Townie
« Reply #102 on: October 25, 2016, 11:09:00 AM »
Her wedding dress will propably be a little fancy, but in a childish and practical way.  ::)

Offline Cheezey

• Immortal
Brilliant Minds: The Wainwrights of Sunset Valley - Chapter 23
« Reply #103 on: October 28, 2016, 10:49:45 AM »
And finally he was welcomed to the family.  ;D :o A lot of shenanigans ensue. Of course I already read this update over on Wordpress, but.  ::) This story may become the start of most Wainwright Family fanons - and may even inspire EAxis to put them as original townies again.  ::) ;D At least it will become the most iconic story about them and will make them iconic.

That would certainly be flattering, and thank you for the kind compliment!  I have mixed feelings about seeing them put in another Sims game.  I didn't care much for the changes they made to Nancy, Geoffrey, and Malcolm Landgraab in Sims 4, so if they changed the Wainwrights in a way I didn't like, I'd end up wishing they just left them out of it.

I never played Sims 3 much because it caused my laptop to overheat and die, so I'm not that familiar with the game or its townies.

Today, though, I read through your story in one sitting and really love it! It's inspired!
Thank you so much for filling my morning with laughter  ;D

Wow!  At its current word count, that's no small chunk of reading, so I take that as a high compliment.  Thank you very much!  I'm glad you enjoyed it!

Terrific update Cheezey!  I loved the interactions between Boyd and Cycl0n3.  You make it so believable.  I'm really looking forward to the wedding.  That should be fun.

Thank you!  We've arrived at the wedding, so I hope you enjoy this chapter.

Awesome update. So happy for the engaged couple. Can't wait for the big day, the wedding.

Thank you! I hope you enjoy the write-up of the wedding in this chapter.

Well congratulation to Blair and Cycl0n3.  Blair, everything you wear will make you look skinny.  Primarily because you are skinny.  But I do like that dress Blair tried on as a wedding dress.  I use it a lot.  I'm interested in seeing what Blair does wear though.  I can't see her in anything too frou-frou.

Haha, yes, poor Blair can't avoid that look.  She and Cycl0n3 are both all the way down on that slider, so they've got the noodle arms and legs.  She needs to do less cardio and more weight lifting at the gym, I think.

Chapter 23

Blair did not fall asleep until late the night before her wedding.  It wasn’t because of a bachelorette party.  She’d insisted on nothing more than a dinner out with her friends, which they’d finished before 10.  It was just that she was so full of anticipation that she couldn’t sleep.  She was already getting out of bed when her mother, Tamara, and Emma came in bright and early to get her ready for her big day.

Emma handed her a fresh bagel.  “Got you something to eat quick so you’re not starving.”

“When you’re done, first we’ll get your dress on, then your makeup,” Tamara suggested.  “Then Emma and I will get dressed over at the salon while you’re getting your hair done.”

“I’ll take you to that, and Tamara and Emma will meet us there,” Susan told her.  “Then the limo will take us all to the lounge.”

“A limo.  Wow.  I feel like a star.”

Emma laid the garment bag with her dress out on the bed.  “It’s your wedding.  You’re supposed to feel like one.”

The other half of the wedding party assembled at the venue.  Cycl0n3 was clean-shaven and in his tux, although the wind had quickly undone whatever attempt at taming his hair had been made.  Stiles and Boyd were also dressed and ready to go.  Boyd situated Patrick in a quiet corner of the empty room while Stiles directed the florist to the proper area for setup.  Cycl0n3 paced a little, not because he was nervous, unhappy, or having second thoughts, but because, for once, he did not have his laptop with him.  He felt almost naked without it.

“They’re finishing up the flowers out there now,” Stiles told Cycl0n3 and Boyd when he returned.  “Everything should be ready to go.”

“Good.”  Boyd was also anxious.  Despite all the plans seemingly falling into place, he could not shake a feeling that something was going to go wrong.  Before they left, Susan reassured him that it was probably nothing, like most of the time when he worried, but it persisted regardless.  “I don’t want anything messed up today.  This means everything to Blair.” 

“The staff just took the cake upstairs.  Emma outdid herself.”  Cycl0n3 smiled.  “Looks tasty and fun to smear on the bride’s face.”

Boyd frowned, although he let it pass without comment, while Stiles raised an eyebrow.  “She might shove it back in yours twice as hard.  And remember, she works out.”

“Bah.  It’s tradition.  Everyone does the cake thing at their wedding, right?  It’s the one time you’re supposed to have a food fight.”

“I’m not sure I’d qualify a bit of icing on the face as a food fight,” said Boyd.

“Didn’t you do that at your wedding?” asked Cycl0n3.

“Does Susan strike you as the type who’d appreciate having cake plastered on her face in front of a crowd?”  Boyd gave him an incredulous look.  “I dabbed a little on her nose and she did the same to me.  Anything else would’ve gotten me in the doghouse on my honeymoon, and a bonus lecture from my mother to boot.  No thank you.”

Boyd’s thoughts drifted back to his wedding day, all those years ago.  Even in the mundane setting of the city hall office where they exchanged their vows, it had been one of the best days of his life.  He would never forget how stunning Susan looked, in a simple dress and with flowers in her hair, promising to spend the rest of her life with him, and how happy they both were.  Their reception had been equally low-key, a small function in a local hall with a DJ his father knew, followed by a honeymoon that was a weekend trip out of town.  Some might have called a honeymoon where they just stayed in a hotel with an in-room hot tub, free premium channels, and great room service somewhat boring, but to them it was heaven. 

Stiles checked the time.  “Everything’s right on schedule.  Looks like all that’s left for us to do is seat the guests when they start arriving.”  He paused.  “Oh, and I need you to give me the ring, Cycl0n3.  So I can pass it to you during the ceremony.”  Blair and Cycl0n3 had not chosen a ring bearer or flower girl, since neither of them were particularly close to any children the appropriate age.

Cycl0n3 gave him an odd look.  “I thought you had the ring.”

“What?”

“I don’t have the ring,” Cycl0n3 said.  “Don’t you have it?”

“If I did, I wouldn’t be asking,” replied Stiles.  “You said you were going to give it to me later, remember?”

“Oh.”  A sheepish look crept across Cycl0n3’s face as he realized Stiles was right.  He had asked him the night before, but Cycl0n3 had been busy with something else and told him he’d get it later.  Unfortunately, he had forgotten about it by the time he went to bed.  Being preoccupied with getting his tux and the other stuff all morning, he forgot all about the ring.

Boyd’s inexplicable feeling of dread was now realized, and he stared at Cycl0n3.  “You lost the ring?”

“I—er—not quite.  I know where it is.”  Cycl0n3 sighed.  “On my dresser.  In my room.  Back at the lofts.”

“How do you forget your own wedding ring?”  Boyd’s voice rose.  “That’s just… oh, my watcher.  I don’t believe this.” He started pacing.  “Any chance Emma or Tamara are still there to bring it?”

“I doubt it,” Stiles said.  “They were heading out to the salon to meet up with Blair and her mom when I left.”

“Well, this is just great.  My daughter is going to get married with no ring if we don’t get it soon.  Either of you bring a car?  Susan has mine.  She dropped me and Patrick off here.”

“No.  With the open bar later, we took taxis,” Stiles said.

Cycl0n3 pulled out his phone.  “I’ll call a cab and go back and get it.  I should have enough time as long as they don’t take too long getting here.”

“No, you’re not going anywhere,” Boyd argued.  “Not having the ring here is bad enough, but there’s no way Blair’s going to show up and have you missing at her wedding.”

“I’ll get it,” Stiles assured them.  “Best man’s got duties, so I’ll take care of it.  On your dresser, right?  Not in it, not anywhere else, you’re sure?”

“Yeah.  Right in its box.”

“Okay.  I’ll be back in two shakes of a llama’s tail.  You’ll have to seat the guests.”  He looked at Boyd.  “Might want to call your wife and give the bridal party a heads up that there’s been a roadblock.  Maybe they can stall getting over here so Blair doesn’t find out.”

Cycl0n3 gave him a grateful look.  “Thanks, Stiles.  Sorry about this.”

“No problem.  See you soon.”  He headed out, already on the phone for the taxi.

Susan did not have a good feeling when she saw Boyd’s number light up on her cell phone.  She stepped out into the lobby to take the call.  “Boyd?  Is everything all right?”

“Cycl0n3 forgot the wedding ring.”

“What?”

“You heard me.  Stiles asked him for it and Cycl0n3 thought he had it already, only he didn’t.  They left it at the lofts.”

“How could he forget the ring?!  That’s even worse than back when they were in high school and he forgot Love Day.”

“I know,” Boyd grumbled.

“Who’s getting it?  Or is that why you called?  I guess I could get the key from one of the girls, and run over and look.  Do you know where it is?”

“Stiles already left to get it.  I just wanted to let you know.  Don’t tell Blair, but maybe try and stall getting here until closer to the wedding if you can.  Hopefully he’ll be back with it by then.”

“All right.  We can do that.  Good luck and keep me posted.”

Susan hung up and went back into the salon.  The stylist was still working on Blair’s hair and veil, but Tamara and Emma were both dressed and ready.  “You two look great,” Susan said, and glanced over at Blair.  “Can I talk to you for a minute?”

“Sure.  What’s up?” asked Emma.

“You’re not going to believe this.”  Susan related the story of Cycl0n3 and the missing wedding ring.

“What?  What a dumb llama!” Tamara exclaimed.  “How could he forget something so important?”

“He really can lose anything,” Emma said with a shake of her head.   

Tamara was still aggravated.  “Blair’s going to be really upset if the wedding gets screwed up.  If this makes her cry on her wedding day, I’m going to tear him a new one.”

“If that happens, you’ll be taking a number behind me,” said Susan.

“It won’t come to that.  Stiles will pull through.”  Emma looked over at Blair.  “We’ll stall a bit and keep her occupied.  We don’t have to be over there for a little while yet.  Or we could have the limo take the scenic route.”   

Fortunately, disaster was avoided and the wedding ring was located in time for the big event.  A fat tip even ensured that the cabbie got Stiles back to the venue promptly.  He came in with the ring in hand two minutes before the bridal party’s limo arrived.  Boyd and Cycl0n3 had already sat a number of guests.

“Got it right here.”  Stiles opened the box and showed them before putting it in his pocket for safe keeping.

“Great.  Crisis averted.  Thanks again, Stiles,” said Cycl0n3.

“Yes.  And with you holding onto it, we know it won’t get lost again before the vows.”

Stiles nodded to Cycl0n3.  “You’re welcome.  Though for the one Blair puts on you, you’re on your own for keeping tabs on it.”

“Think I should go ask her to slip some glue on it?” asked Boyd.

“You guys aren’t going to let this go, are you?” 

“Eventually,” said Boyd.

“But not for a while,” Stiles added with a smirk.

The remaining guests arrived and were seated, the bridal party finished their final touches, and everyone was in position.  It was time for the wedding!  Stiles escorted Emma and Tamara outside for a picture, and then down the aisle to join Cycl0n3 at the wedding arch in waiting for Blair.

Blair emerged from inside on her father’s arm, looking every bit the happy and radiant bride.  Everyone had been successful in keeping the ring mishap under wraps, so she had no idea.  They would tell her later, of course, but nobody wanted to spoil her happy day with what was now a non-issue.

“Well, this is it.  The big moment.  You ready?” Boyd asked with a smile.

“Of course!”  Blair beamed.  “Everything’s so perfect.  I’m so happy.”

“I’m glad.”  The music started, and they started their walk down the aisle.

When they reached the arch, Blair took Cycl0n3’s hand.  Boyd gave them a silent smile of well wishes, and joined the rest of the guests, sitting beside Susan in the front row, where she held Patrick.  Sadly, the baby suit they’d dressed in him had become a casualty of a leaky diaper, but he was otherwise quiet and happy in his mother’s lap.

Blair met Cycl0n3’s eyes, overwhelmed with feeling.  She had known Cycl0n3 for so long, been in love with him for much of it, and now they were about to start their lives together.  Cycl0n3 smiled at her, not that half-goofy, half-sarcastic smile he wore most of the time, but a warm and genuine look that filled her heart with joy.  “I love you,” he murmured so low that only she could hear.  “Let’s do this.”

Blair insisted that she and Cycl0n3 write their own vows for the wedding.  Although the rest of her wedding was more traditional, for her, nothing was more romantic than speaking right from the heart.  She went first.  “Cycl0n3, I’ve known you since my first year of high school.  You were my closest friend, and always special to me, even before I fell in love with you.  It’s been a long time since then, and even when life split us in two directions, I always knew you were too important to let go.  Now that we’re together again, I’ve never been happier.  I love you with all my heart and soul, and I vow to love you and be loyal to you, as your wife and partner, forever at your side, through anything and everything life may throw at us, for as long as we both live.”  She put the wedding ring on his finger.

“Blair, I love you.  You get me, more so than anyone I’ve ever met.  You’re sweet, you’re kind, you’re patient, you’re brilliant, you’re beautiful, you’re just… well, everything I could ever ask for.  I know I can be quirky,” a knowing lighthearted titter went through certain members of the audience and wedding party at that, “but I also know how lucky I am to be with someone who loves me, quirks and all.  You’re the best, and that’s why I want to spend my life with you.  I love you, and I vow that I’ll be loyal and faithful to you, and do my best to be the man you deserve, from now until we meet old Grim.”  He slid the ring onto her finger.

“And with that… I believe we’re married.  Or at least after this.”  Cycl0n3 pulled Blair into a kiss, while music began to play and heart-shaped confetti rained down on them.

After the ceremony was over, everyone moved inside for the reception.  Blair and Cycl0n3 shared their first dance as a married couple.  Although Cycl0n3 professed a complete inability to dance, he managed to get through it without stepping on Blair’s toes.  “This reminds me of prom,” he murmured.  “Except you look even hotter, and the shoes aren’t as uncomfortable.”

“Speak for yourself.  These heels are killing me,” she giggled.  “But you’re worth it.”

“Kick ‘em off.  It’s your wedding.  Who’s going to tell the bride to keep her shoes on?”

“I’m not foregoing foot protection while dancing with you.”  She gave him a teasing tap on the shin.

“Wise lady.”  He kissed her.

The reception carried on into the evening and night.  Blair and Cycl0n3 mingled and took the time to talk to their family, friends, and family friends who attended.  Tamara made a nice toast for Blair, while Stiles made one for Cycl0n3.  Then Hank, who’d had a few juices, also made one wishing Blair and Cycl0n3 well before hopping on the karaoke machine.  Emma and Justine said they hoped someone else would make a toast to drown out his singing, so Justin stepped up and delivered one. 

When the time came to cut the cake, it was Blair who smashed the cake into Cycl0n3’s face.  She couldn’t stop giggling while he wiped it off of his face and nose, but he was in too good of a mood to retaliate.  Blair’s playful streak was one of the many things he appreciated about her, although Susan murmured to Boyd that she was glad that they had been mature enough to not act so silly at their own reception.

Aside from that bit of grumbling, Susan was very happy for Blair.  She encouraged Boyd to get out on the dance floor with her.  “Come on.  Get out there and give me a twirl.”

“Honey, there’s a reason I don’t show off my dance moves.  Namely that I don’t have them.”  He tickled Patrick’s tummy.  “Besides, someone’s got to hold this guy.”

“Pass him off to Gunther for a few.  Mr. Grouchy-pants over there doesn’t look like he’s about to get up and start cutting a rug.”

Boyd chortled.  “How much nectar have you had?”

“Just a few.  But we all don’t have the tolerance of Dr. Keg Stand,” she teased.  “You can do that at a frat party, but not dance at your daughter’s wedding?”

“Ludo never asked me to dance.  Just drink,” Boyd pointed out.  “But all right.  You win.”  He saw Judy standing nearby, and asked her if she’d hold Patrick.  Knowing how much Judy loved kids, he doubted she would mind, and he was right.  She was thrilled to coo over the baby, and Boyd and Susan reached the dance floor just as the music changed to the Macarena.

Blair let out a cheer while Tamara declared happily beside her that it was now time for everyone on the floor to join in.  Boyd felt his cheeks turning red and tried to escape, but Susan didn’t let him.  “How is this song even still a thing?” he protested.  “We were around Blair’s age when it came out.”

“It’s become a classic,” Susan said, while she and Boyd did their best to imitate the moves with the crowd.  “Besides, we’re no worse than half the guests.  At least it’s not the chicken dance.”

“Don’t give them ideas.”

After a few hours of dancing and celebration, the reception came to a close.  Blair and Cycl0n3 shared a final dance for the evening, and then bid their guests goodbye.  Tamara and Emma helped her out of her dress and veil, and they took them while Blair got ready to leave with Cycl0n3.  “We’ll get this cleaned and everything,” Tamara assured her.  “You go have fun on your honeymoon.”

“Yeah, we’ve got it covered.  I’ll make sure Stiles returns Cycl0n3’s tux, too.”

“Thanks.  Cycl0n3 would probably forget,” Blair said with a knowing smile.

“Lucky for him, he’s got you and us to keep him on his toes,” Emma replied.  “Have fun.”

“Thank you both.”  She hugged both of them.  “For everything.  You’re the best.”

And with that, they were off to their honeymoon.  Their things were already there to be loaded into the cab—the wedding party had taken care of that in advance—and they were off to a rental car place.  They picked up the keys for their rental and headed off to their swanky hotel suite for the night, which was at the halfway point to their honeymoon destination: Hidden Springs.

Offline Magz from Oz

• Watcher
« Reply #104 on: October 28, 2016, 03:40:04 PM »
Oh Cheezey!  That was beautiful and funny and quirky and I loved it!  ;D  I like that you took the time to write vows for them.  It always makes a wedding more real to me if there are vows spoken.  As the previously crowned "Queen of the Vows", I pass the crown to you.  Well done!  ;D

My Stories:
1. Duty Calls
3. The Lady of the Lake

anything