Author Topic: Best image hosting service? Who, and how and how much  (Read 2850 times)

Offline Joria

• Top Secret
  • Watcher
Best image hosting service? Who, and how and how much
« on: March 24, 2016, 04:52:39 PM »
I'm desperate.  Mediafire has messed up my files one time too many and I will no longer keep a premium, paid service that doesn't work.  Here is what I need:

1. Very easy to upload screenshots

2. Ability to save shots in organized folders I create

3. Huge amount of storage with no deletion unless I request it

4. Ease of posting the pics back to our forum

Now, Mediafire does all this.  All my files are neatly kept in a variety of named folders and are also listed by date and time from the service.  Super easy to upload and one click gets me the url to post the pic here.  I have 3 terrabytes of storage which I pay for, and paying for it is ok to get what I want.  I cannot edit from that site but I suck at all that so it doesn't matter.

I already know about Imgur but can't figure out how to make nice, neat, folders for my images, or how I would access just MY images, so unless someone can teach me how to do it, Imgur would not be for me.

In other words, I want another site that does what Mediafire does without the problems of files going missing or not being able to be viewed. 
What?  Grannies can't play games?
I speak perfect Nooblik, (and some Simlish)!

----------
With A Twist, an Immortal Dynasty
My No Buy Story
Joria's Creations on the Gallery

Offline Shewolf13

• Queen of the Dragons
  • Watcher
  • Wolf or Jessi is fine ^^
    • Wolfie's Writings
Re: Best image hosting service? Who, and how and how much
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2016, 04:57:47 PM »
I use photobucket.  If you get their premium service, it's actually only like $2-4 a month (I'd have to check my account to remember XD).  It's cheaper if you pay for a year, of course.  I've been using it for years.  You can make albums and subalbums. Storage is pretty good and of course you can spend a bit more and get even more.  I have many many stories going and still am only like 5% of storage used. It's easy to upload (simply drag pics to the album you're in).

The only issue I've ever had with Photobucket is that occasionally I have to go and reupload one or two images, but it's pretty easy to see where one might be missing.  I can help walk you through anything you need to as well, if you want ^^

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline MarianT

• Global Moderator
  • Watcher
  • Everything in life is here to drive you crazy. R.T
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2016, 05:37:40 PM »
I use Photobucket too, paying about $35 a year. I'm at 13% of my storage space now, and that includes many screenshots from my TS3 stories as well as all the ones for my TS4 dynasties. I can edit, too -- I use cropping, image resizing, and sometimes lighting, and there are some special effects that are nice. I used the vignette effect for the dream photos. I have an Imgur account, but haven't figured out how to use it.
When the Zombies Come(Completed)--100 Nooboos Nabbed

Enjoy writing stories? Please check the Rules for Stories before posting.

Offline oshizu

• Watcher
    • oshizu's asylum
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2016, 06:11:28 PM »
I'm the least expert here but I've used Imgur intensively this year, so I'll just share my experience.
MrsFlynn has instructions on how to upload images to imgur. I save images for a chapter in a folder on my computer, so I drag those images to imgur which saves it as an album. I name the album then click Upload.  You can later select the album and add/remove images, rearrange the images, etc.

The problem with Imgur is that its Help features aren't helpful. 
To upload images to the forum, I click "Images" at the upper right which shows me all my images (newest on the top), then I click the image to get the BBC code. I copy/paste that code into my Word file.
There are sideways arrows on each image, so I just keep clicking the left arrow to switch through my album.

Being a noob, I have no idea nor have I ever researched how much Imgur's premium service costs, maximum storage, and so forth. At the time I was trying choose an image storage service, someone (maybe Playalot?) was experiencing issues at Photobucket with lost images, so I wanted to use a not-Photobucket service for Sim storytelling at this forum. I already had a Photobucket account, which I sometime use for image processing effects.

Offline LivvieLove

• Queen of Mush
  • Watcher
  • "Sh! Be quiet! The nutters are out to get me."
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2016, 06:16:39 PM »
I'm an imgur user myself. Like you I changed from Mediafire originally. It's free and it's actually pretty easy to use! Space is... As far as I can tell... Unlimited. Which is an extra plus for me.

Offline MrsFlynn

• Admin Assistant
  • Administrator
  • Watcher
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2016, 10:22:43 PM »
I did find this the other day while I was searching for photo hosting.

10 Free Image Hosting Sites for Your Photos
http://webtrends.about.com/od/prof4/tp/Free-Image-Hosting-Sites-For-Photos.htm

I've also updated my thread on storage suggestions.

Photo Sharing, Blog Sites, Webhosting and Online Storage Link Suggestions
http://www.carls-sims-4-guide.com/forum/index.php/topic,19426.0.html
Welcome!! We hope you enjoy the forum!!  Thank you for visiting!!
–Need Help? Check our Member FAQs Here. * –Read and follow the Forum Rules, please! *

Offline MrsFlynn

• Admin Assistant
  • Administrator
  • Watcher
« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2016, 12:06:39 AM »
@Joria

You were mentioning that you wanted photo storage and possibly file storage. So I found some more online storage places to look into. -- I don't use these services, I'm just mentioning them as possible storage solutions.

Google Drive
Google Drive storage plans & pricing
How-To Use Google Drive

Amazon CloudDrive
Cloud Drive Plans and Pricing
Unlimited Photos Free with Amazon Prime

OneDrive
OneDrive Prices and Plans
OneDrive How-To
Welcome!! We hope you enjoy the forum!!  Thank you for visiting!!
–Need Help? Check our Member FAQs Here. * –Read and follow the Forum Rules, please! *

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline Joria

• Top Secret
  • Watcher
« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2016, 12:58:09 PM »
Thank you, Mrs. Flynn and all.  Mostly what I was after was personal experiences from those who have actually used a service for posting pictures here, as I myself had searched and found tons of places where I could possibly put images.  Most of these places don't say much about themselves as far as how reliable they are or how easy to use. 

It seems in some ways there is a distinction between image hosting and photo, with photo services mostly for actual photographs as opposed to screenshots.  For instance, Smug Mug is mostly for photographs, perhaps only for photographs.  My only experience with it is viewing and ordering photographs.  Some of the services are actually no longer there, or will soon be gone, like Picasa owned by Google.  Many of them are a bit complicated or at the least, not user friendly unless you are really up on how to do different things.

If it wasn't for the problems I had, twice, with Mediafire, I would stick with them, as they are the easiest ones to use for both word files and pictures, and I dread the thought of having to move all my screenshots from one service to another in order to keep them viewable in my stories.

Anyway, thank you everyone.

What?  Grannies can't play games?
I speak perfect Nooblik, (and some Simlish)!

----------
With A Twist, an Immortal Dynasty
My No Buy Story
Joria's Creations on the Gallery

Offline Magpie2012

• Tony Brooks fangirl - Jupiter Reaper fangirl too - Pippin fangirl ALWAYS
  • Watcher
  • Call me Mags or Steph
« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2016, 03:11:51 PM »
Is it possible to use Dropbox to host images? Since you don't really want/need the editing features, couldn't Dropbox be a viable option? I don't know myself since I last used mine about 2 or 3 years ago, but I know you got a lot of storage space.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9720 using Tapatalk
because... Math *Pippin The Most Tenacious Simmer*

Only 2 things are infinite... The universe and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe. *Albert Einstein*

Don't believe all the quotes that have been attributed to me. *Albert Einstein*

I can't ignore ALL of the voices in my head - Some of them actually make sense! *Blayzen*

Offline momlover

• Nooboo
« Reply #9 on: June 29, 2016, 11:48:59 PM »
I like imgur.com

Offline Whirligig

• Simmer Down Sally
  • Occult
    • Whirligig Plays Sims
« Reply #10 on: October 26, 2016, 12:18:48 PM »
Another +1 for imgur. I think they made changes recently so that you don't really need a premium service. Anyways, I've yet to have any issues with them. The interface is simple and the service is reliable. So far.
The Morven Dynasty
Blogger ||| Simblr

Soroja14 on Origin

Offline Candyd

• Queen of grilled cheese
  • Occult
« Reply #11 on: October 26, 2016, 12:27:28 PM »
I use Flickr Pro and HostingPics.
HostingPics' interface is in French only but it can upload large files including most animated gifs (up to 6 MB / picture), keeps them online indefinitely, and no account is needed. You can upload 2 files at a time without registering, and you can upload up to 40 at a time with a free account.

anything